Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh I guess my other question is if it's better to mainline a class to mastery then do the next one or to keep the classes all within each other other?

I heard there was also some place with statues that you can grind for AP?e: I'm about eight hours into the game and just unlocked ninja and I beat the chimera and learned aqua bubble or whatever

They're weak to lightning damage and gold needles.

Just explore every castle you come to and you'll find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Except, you know, the one that’s on fire, I’d limit my exploration of that one to say, ten minutes.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Rosalie_A posted:

The strongest jobs relative to the amount of effort and knowledge needed to make them so would be, in my opinion, Mystic Knight, Samurai, Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, and Time Mage. Just buy stuff from stores and press buttons.

If you want the true best at everything stuff? That's more complicated and depends on where in the game you're at.

I'd add Bard to this list; it's a little more esoteric to learn some of their best Songs but you can trivialize several dungeons with them, especially once you get Requiem.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
In years past I posted this compilation of differences in the Mobile (iOS/Android/Steam) version of Final Fantasy V when compared to the GBA version. Thanks to a number of great posters here and at other forums I was able to expand it greatly. Most of these changes I have confirmed myself, others have been confirmed by other members.

I've since moved on from the Mobile version, so I can't really confirm things anymore, but I will say it was a lot of fun having to learn which tricks and workarounds still work, as well as discovering new tricks and workarounds. If you can stomach the graphics (I'll say that it looks a lot better in action than in stills, but it definitely isn't for everyone) and if you're looking for a bit a new experience, you could do worse (by which I mean, you could play the Final Fantasy Anthology version on the PSX).

Thanks especially to Djibriel's FFV walkthrough, which helped fill in a lot of holes.

If there are any other changes you can confirm that aren't listed here, please let us know!

Classes

⦁ (BLM) Vampire deals/heals 50% of (Max HP - Current HP) damage (as in SNES version); automatically misses on Heavy targets.

⦁ (BLM) Old and Dark Spark don't appear to change levels for the purposes of Level# spells.

⦁ (MNK) !Kick now deals full damage from back row, but its damage is no longer boosted by Kaiser Knuckles.

⦁ (THF) You can now Sprint on the Overworld map, either on foot or in vehicle.

⦁ (BRK) Berserkers now target the default target with their attacks, meaning they will typically target front row targets.

⦁ (BRK) Berserkers and other characters with the Berserk ability can now act independently in battle. Previously, they would launch an attack when their turn in the ATB order was up (meaning, only after you had entered commands for other characters).

⦁ (BRK) Berserkers no longer suffer an ATB penalty at the beginning of battles.

⦁ (BST) Some !Release effects, particularly those that deal a static percentage of targets' Max HP, now automatically miss on Heavy targets.

⦁ (BST) !Calm now (finally) works as intended, only affecting Magical Beasts.

⦁ (BRD) Songs that raise stats/level now appear to have a hard limit of 255, rather than 99.

⦁ (Spells) !Sing still activates over time while in the middle of a Quick cast

⦁ (RNG) The Bee Swarm attack from !Animals now sets Poison status.

⦁ (GEO) !Gaia now ignores character level; acts as if character is always level 99 for determining the effect.

⦁ (CHM) The !Drink potion Power Drink now functions properly.

⦁ (CHM) The !Mix effect Goliath Tonic now works on monsters. Among other things, this makes monsters easier to !Catch and, potentially, take more damage from Gravity-based spells based off of max HP.

⦁ (CHM) The !Mix effects Death Potion, Dark Sigh and Succubus Kiss are no longer unblockable effects.

⦁ (SMR) !Mineuchi now functions properly, dealing 50% less damage but setting Paralyze.

⦁ (DRG) Dragoons now learn !Jump in just 10 ABP, instead of 50 in earlier versions. As a result, mastering the class requires only 560 ABP total, rather than 600.

⦁ (NNJ/Weapon) The Sword Dance effect of the Dancing Dagger triggers Sword Dances for both weapons equipped, then follows up with the second weapon's attack. This is also true for the Thief Knife's !Capture effect.

Equipment

⦁ (Weapon) Double Lances deal their damage twice with attack abilities (like !Mug or !Jump). Combining this change with the above, a Ninja triggering a Sword Dance with a Dancing Dagger & Double Lance equipped will have FIVE attacks, the first three of which are Sword Dances, followed by the normal Double Lance double attack.

⦁ (Weapon) The downside to the Double Lance changes is that it no longer prevents the !Flee proc from the Chicken Knife, even from the off-hand.

⦁ (Weapon) The Double Lance (yes, this weapon gets THREE entries) still counts as a lance for !Jump, so with the combined double attack and double damage, it roughly equates to the same total damage per attack (though not DPS) as a chicken knife.

⦁ (Weapon) Weapon procs (such as the Death Sickle's Death or Mage Masher's Silence) can still trigger even when the weapon attack misses. Unconfirmed if this is true in the GBA or SNES versions.

⦁ (Weapon) The Defender Knightsword will no longer cast Protect.

⦁ (Weapon) The Lilith Rod now seems to occasionally cast Osmose on attack, instead of always using !Flirt.

⦁ (Equipment) The Mirage Vest re-equip trick no longer works.

⦁ (Equipment/Status Effects) The status effects granted by !Mix, such as Resist (Element), Elemental Power, and Dragon Shield, will no longer be removed by re-equipping weapons.

⦁ (Equipment/Status Effects) You can now change equipment on zombified party members out of battle.

⦁ (Items) Catoblepas will target all enemies through the Magic Lamp. The Magic Lamp may still sometimes summon Fat Chocobo.

Combat

⦁ (Status Effects) Berserk and Confuse no longer reset a character's ATB bar.

⦁ (Status Effects) Berserk no longer overrides Reaction commands; this has implications for both Omniscient and Omega (see below)

⦁ (Status Effects) The Heavy flag appears to drastically reduce the length of time that status effects last for bosses, moreso than in other versions. Not sure if this impacts party members as well.

⦁ (ATB Bar) Character turns can now be skipped to another character with a full ATB bar.

⦁ (ATB Bar) ATB bars no longer move at the same speed, with Agility/Haste/Slow determining where on the bar your turn starts (as in GBA). Agility, Haste, and Slow now impact the speed the bar fills.

⦁ (Battle Speed) Battle Speed now impacts the speed of battle for all participants, not just monsters.

⦁ (Encounters) Quicksave can no longer be used to game encounter seeding. It can still be used to reset step counters.

⦁ (Combat) When an enemy makes multiple attacks as part of a (No Interrupt) AI routine, party members can now be KO'd in the middle of the routine, removing the possibility of them taking additional hits or absorbing damage to remain alive.

⦁ (Spells) The Sap effect seems to now wear off during a Quick stall; weakening if not entirely negating the Quickleak strategy.

⦁ (Spells) Quick no longer avoids counters; counters triggered by the first action will execute before your second action.

⦁ (Spells) The damage formula for splitting magic appears to be different from the SNES & GBA. It's unclear exactly how the formula has changed, but split spells suffer less of a damage penalty in the Mobile/Steam version than in SNES/GBA versions.

Monsters

⦁ Lamia will now target any party member with Entice.

⦁ Metamorphs are now permanently in the back row.

⦁ Panteras now function properly, summoning images and switching between them, just like the Wendigo boss fight.

Bosses

⦁ Liquid Flame is now always placed in the back row, except when in Hand Form.

⦁ Archeoaevis now drops a Chemist drink for every form defeated.

⦁ Tyrannosaur now counters all magic commands with Poison Breath, instead of Wind/Earth/Water/Holy-elemental spells. Feel free to continue to ignore this as you throw Phoenix Downs at it.

⦁ Self-Destruct no longer automatically ends the Exdeath/Galuf fight. It is assumed (but hasn't been tested) that other ways to quickly end the fight without damaging Exdeath also no longer work.

⦁ Dragon Pod and Exdeath (World 2) have Regen working properly.

⦁ Omniscient is much more difficult to deal with in this version with non-casters. Silence from the Mage Masher wears off from him much faster than it used to, and if the Silence proc misses he'll counter with Reset. What seems to be happening here is that Omni's Reset counter is based on the action command, not the effect; despite getting attacked with a spell (Silence) Mage Masher procs still works if you can deal enough damage to get him into his -aga loop (19000) before it misses, at which point he's likely to kill himself. Might take a few tries though.

⦁ Other Omniscient issues: he can now cast Reset through Berserk (see above). Omniscient does not cast Libra in this version (it has been replaced in his rotation by Thunder), and casting Libra at him does not trigger the counter.

⦁ Yes, also Omniscient gets three bullet points. Unlike other items, the Magic Lamp does not trigger Omniscient's Reset, just like regular summons. The except to this is Chocobo.

⦁ Odin's timer can be slowed down considerably by constantly trying to escape.

⦁ Famed Mimic Gogo now has a slightly different counter script, not that it really matters.

⦁ Omega's counter script is no longer tricked by Reflecting Thundagas off of three party members and hitting the fourth. Reflecting Search back onto Omega no longer impacts his ability to counter your own party.

⦁ Necrophobe's Hurricane now targets your entire party.

Other

⦁ (Exploit) In regards to the Karnak Shop exploit (in which Karnak shop prices are lower before getting arrested), the Mobile version allows you to purchase multiple copies of the same item during this exploit. Buying as many of one item as possible will allow you to effectively double your Gil when you sell them back after the plot event. Mithril Hammers are the most efficient bang for your buck if you're already flush with gil.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 2, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

oh no they nerfed !Kick

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The weirdest side-effect of this version is that it makes Geomancers arguably better than Beastmasters (though that says more about the Beastmasters nerf than it does the Geomancers buff).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This seems like it'd almost make it the most feasible for a quadzerker run, if it weren't for the, you know, stuck at 1x speed thing.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

girl dick energy posted:

This seems like it'd almost make it the most feasible for a quadzerker run, if it weren't for the, you know, stuck at 1x speed thing.

Autobattle is a decent speed boost, but not the kind of speed boost that would be required to make a quadzerker run at NED sane.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The problem with quadzerkers vs NED on mobile is that the targeting changes mean that you're always stuck with the last part entering rage mode at basically full health. It does make sandworm easier, though, since they'll never try to attack the dummy targets.

Also:

Ace Transmuter posted:

⦁ (BLM) Old and Dark Spark don't appear to change levels for the purposes of Level# spells.

What the gently caress is the point then? Basic !Fight commands are pretty much the only enemy attacks that care about level. I guess it still lowers their magic evasion? :geno:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Cattail Prophet posted:

What the gently caress is the point then? Basic !Fight commands are pretty much the only enemy attacks that care about level. I guess it still lowers their magic evasion? :geno:

It came as a bit of a shock to me, too. As far as I can recall the !Mix level shenanigans still work. Old still tanks speed, but yeah, Dark Shock is almost completely pointless.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

In years past I posted this compilation of differences in the Mobile (iOS/Android/Steam) version of Final Fantasy V
⦁ (BRK) Berserkers and other characters with the Berserk ability can now act independently in battle.

⦁ (CHM) The !Mix effects Death Potion, Dark Sigh and Succubus Kiss are no longer unblockable effects.

⦁ (Weapon) Double Lances

⦁ (Spells) Quick

⦁ Omniscient

As someone that has gotten every achievement on Mobile and am grinding for it now for Steam, in addition to all of my fiesta runs being matrix, I have a couple things to add.

(BRK) Berserk effect you mentioned acts even faster than putting auto on, resulting in slightly faster attack spamming, which can be useful if you're insane and braving like I enjoy
Also, I can confirm that Berserk just flat out doesn't stop reactions anymore.

(CHM) This doesn't effect much gameplay if you're not doing solo chemist. However, it does of course mean your only source of damage on Omega might be Dark Flare. You'll need roughly 68 dark matters for this iirc

(Weapon) Double Lance still counts as a lance for Jump damage, so with the combined double attack and double damage, it roughly equates to the same total damage as a chicken knife. Tho less DPS because of jump timing.

(spells) I don't know if it also works this way in the original versions or not, but Quick and song work amazing together. Stats continue to increase and regen continues to tick during the quick pause

(RUG) An important note; The Lamp does not trigger Reset on Matrix. This means you usually only need one or two silence procs to get him within kill range if you're no750, let alone get him into range to kill himself. That said, Chocobo does cause a Reset reaction.

Also a fun note: While Meteo and XFight no longer attack NED or Sandworms dummy targets, they do target Enuos still. Haven't checked on Mega Shin because experimenting in that fight suuuuuuucks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nasgate posted:

As someone that has gotten every achievement on Mobile and am grinding for it now for Steam
Why?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nasgate posted:

(spells) I don't know if it also works this way in the original versions or not, but Quick and song work amazing together. Stats continue to increase and regen continues to tick during the quick pause

lmao what

So you could set up three singers, Quick, and wait until you were 99/99/99? That's ridiculous.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

lmao what

So you could set up three singers, Quick, and wait until you were 99/99/99? That's ridiculous.

Yup, I've never let Treedeath/NED get a single turn when I have BRD. Unless Im messing around to see if I can make barehanded do 9999.

I'm a broken man that legitimately enjoys it. Though in true Matrix fashion, getting the second to last achievement didn't trigger the final "get all other achievements" one lmao.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nasgate posted:

Yup, I've never let Treedeath/NED get a single turn when I have BRD. Unless Im messing around to see if I can make barehanded do 9999.

That's delightful and the first genuine "this rules" change I've heard with Matrix.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
For me, it was kind of like charting undiscovered country, which was fun in its own way. People were quickly figuring out what didn't work in the Matrix version, but a lot of the new tricks on that list are things I discovered on my own. The Double Lance shenanigans were probably my favorite discovery, although Quick/!Song might top that honestly (not that anyone with a Time Mage and/or Bard needs any more help).

e: I take that back, Squirrelaja was my favorite Matrix discovery. Completely pointless, difficult, and kind of pricey to do, but you can do it!

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 28, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nasgate posted:

(RUG) An important note; The Lamp does not trigger Reset on Matrix. This means you usually only need one or two silence procs to get him within kill range if you're no750, let alone get him into range to kill himself. That said, Chocobo does cause a Reset reaction.

Not only does this not make any sense but it also throws into question everything I thought I knew about how Matrix!RugWizard actually works. Matrix! :argh:

Thanks for the new additions! When I've got a little bit more spare time I'll edit them in.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ace Transmuter posted:

⦁ (Weapon) Weapon procs (such as the Death Sickle's Death or Mage Masher's Silence) can still trigger even when the weapon attack misses. Unconfirmed if this is true in the GBA or SNES versions.

Somewhat anecdotal, I've seen the Death Sickle proc trigger on a miss in GBA, but only ever when it's been detrimental - ie against undead enemies and Reflect Knights.

Might be because those are the only times I'm paying attention to bonus procs (as opposed to attack-replacement procs like the Thief Knife or Gaia Hammer).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kyrosiris posted:

lmao what

99/99/99? What are you, an old-school scrub?

Ace Transmuter posted:

⦁ (BRD) Songs that raise stats/level now appear to have a hard limit of 255, rather than 99.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

That's delightful and the first genuine "this rules" change I've heard with Matrix.

It was an accident I figured it out too. Looked away for a bit during quick and noticed I was regening more HP per turn. This is now how I check if im at max lvl from Singing.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Not only does this not make any sense but it also throws into question everything I thought I knew about how Matrix!RugWizard actually works. Matrix! :argh:

Thanks for the new additions! When I've got a little bit more spare time I'll edit them in.

I assume it reacts to what it receives vs the originals reacting to the command itself.

Always glad to help and/or test. I genuinely prefer Matrix with the only exception being how long the cutscenes are, especially the credits when you have every ability on everyone lmao.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Still looking for new NED graphics, though. And we figured out how to edit the left side's positioning, so at some point I'm going to correct PAD NED's left side and then we're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Has anyone doe Ned (Flanders)?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
New to the Fiesta, or FF5 in general? Don't know what all these weird commands are? I'll fill you in!

Best Modes for Beginners

Normal - Gives you a Wind job at the Wind Crystal, a Water job at the Water Crystal, Fire at Fire, and Earth and Earth.

It's the default for a reason! It gives a good mix of jobs, starting you off with simple jobs and building you up to more complex stuff. You'll likely have at least one reliable job, and there's plenty of job synergy to go around to make all your jobs feel useful!

Random - Gives you a Wind job at Wind Crystal, a Wind or Water job at Water Crystal, Wind or Water or Fire at Fire, and Wi or Wa or F or Earth at Earth.

This ends up being generally easier than Normal, as it gives a greater chance of rolling jobs that are both powerful and simple-to-use, like the various mage jobs or Knight. It does mean you might miss out on later jobs though, which can be fun as well to use.

Popular - Gives you a completely random job in each crystal, but weighted towards the results of popularity polls RK did several years ago.

Naturally, the most popular jobs are the most powerful. The downsides are a risk of duplicates (I think...?) and possibly having to wait awhile to use certain jobs if you don't roll anything usable at Wind or Water. Otherwise, should be simple enough.

--- Team 750 - A modifier you can add to Normal, Random, or Chaos. 750 refers to the cost of rods, so this limits the job pool to the ten mage-like jobs. Magic jobs are generally more powerful and versatile than physical jobs, and while there's plenty of awesome physical jobs that can kick rear end, you'll likely have an easier time doing 750. It's not necessary, and does exclude half the jobs in the game though. Plus a good mix of physical and magical jobs is never bad.

Good options for Players with a couple FF5 runs or Fiestas under their belt

Pure Chaos is no dupe jobs and includes Freelancer and Mime, which is sweet. This is my personal favorite.

Chaos is like reverse Random, biased toward later jobs, and also may have dupes. Nice for a change of pace, but the focus is on more difficult jobs.

Advance is basically Normal, but shuffles the jobs so that three of the jobs added in the GBA version are added to the Earth pool, even though you normally can't get them until the end of the game. Thus you'll be rolling three jobs for the majority of the game. Also not really usable for those playing the SNES or PS1 versions. Still nice if you want to play with those jobs, they're pretty unique!

--- Team No750 is the other modifier, more difficult than 750 but there's still some solid options in there. If you just want to stab things this is a good way to go!

--- Upgrade is a tricky one where you start with all four people in one job, then once you choose to upgrade, you switch to the next job and can no longer switch back to older jobs (though you can still use their abilities). It's a mode for people who love to gamble, as you may get some great abilities only to be stuck with Berserkers who can't use them! Or you might get Freelancer and destroy the end game. Who knows?

--- Fifth Job replaces the Earth job with a new one near the end of Act 2, making you abandon the Earth job. If you really want to play with as many jobs as possible, it's an option. Not my cup of tea, but some love it, and it's not really a bad option to have. A nice curveball if nothing else.

--- Forbidden randomly eliminates one of your jobs once you enter the final dungeon, meaning you can no longer use that job or its abilities. A nice challenging curveball if you want to live on the edge.

Don't use these modes

Natural makes each character stuck in one job without being able to mix-or-match abilities. This robs much of the fun of the fiesta, finding fun synergies between jobs and abilities. Things end up much duller when playing in this mode, so it's generally discouraged.

Classic is Natural but with just FF1 jobs. This is actually an improvement over plain Natural as you'll definitely have some jobs that can be self-sufficient, but otherwise it has the same flaws as Natural.

Wait and see

Winner. This ends up being the four jobs that are voted to be used for The Run. This may be a solid team, but is generally more difficult than anything. Hold off on this option for now, and maybe in general unless the winning jobs appeal to you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rand-No750 Fifth represent. :cool:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No berzerkerrisk? For shame.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Finally, my avatar makes sense!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
After years of chaos, pure or otherwise, I think i'm ready for a nice, relaxing, Normal run.

I have never Zerker Risked but I've always ended up getting plenty of Zerks anyways.

My first run was Black, Red, Bard, and Chemist. I had never really used the latter two classes before.

Oh, how young and naive I was.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think White Mage / Black Mage / Summoner / Ninja would be the most beginner-friendly team. All of your tools can be bought in stores except for summons (and hunting those down is a fun sidequest in its own right), you've got lots of synergies, the setup can easily handle every part of the game, and there's no complex mechanics involved. Just heal and buff your own guys while hurting the enemy, and you're good to go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If anyone's willing to spend some money on the job fair, the teams from my first all jobs summer were very good.
  1. Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon
  2. Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist
  3. Knight/White Mage/Red Mage/Ninja
  4. Monk/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samurai
  5. Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Dancer

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think White Mage / Black Mage / Summoner / Ninja would be the most beginner-friendly team. All of your tools can be bought in stores except for summons (and hunting those down is a fun sidequest in its own right), you've got lots of synergies, the setup can easily handle every part of the game, and there's no complex mechanics involved. Just heal and buff your own guys while hurting the enemy, and you're good to go.

White Mage Garula though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fine, make it Black Mage / White Mage / Ninja / Summoner. :colbert:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Honestly White Mage Garula is not hard at all, it just takes a little bit of time. You're never really in danger, especially if you end up grabbing the Heal Staff.

Other than Knight it's probably the safest Wind job against Garula.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nah, that's Blue Mage. You can just sit in the back casting Aero most of the time, or Vampire when someone's HP gets low. I think you can also turn him into a toad but I forget exactly when some of those early spells are available.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Mage can turn Garula into a blind toad.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Registered for a Random run on Waddler's balance patch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Has anyone doe Ned (Flanders)?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there an option to pick one at random?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Is there an option to pick one at random?

There sure is. Aerdan is working on getting some of the bugs out that I keep accidentally finding.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There sure is. Aerdan is working on getting some of the bugs out that I keep accidentally finding.

Y'all doing Enuo's work here. I look forward to chopping down treedeath to see what Ned I get. More so if X Gon give it to ya plays neo x death shows up.

This void poo poo is mine, motherfucker.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's that time of year again, and that means it's time for me to repost my:

List of Abilities You Want to Give Your Berserker

Just a heads up that this list assumes you're playing an unmodified copy of the SNES, Playstation or GBA versions of the game. Having established that, let us begin.

As we all know, the Berserker is uncontrollable in battle, meaning that most active commands are useless for it. So what do you fill that extra ability slot with when you're setting up your job? Well, there are a number of options that may surprise you, but let's just go down the list, job by job.

Knight: Two-Handed and Equip Swords are the main draw here. Most axes in the game are flagged to be compatible with Two-Handed, which can really pump up your damage numbers. On the other hand, if you want your Berserkers to actually land hits with some consistency, Equip Swords gives them access to a better weapon class and also bumps up their Strength by a few points, just to let them hit even harder. A Berserker with Equip Swords is one of those rare niche cases where you might want to actually consider grabbing the Brave Blade, assuming you don't have other classes that can easily use the Chicken Knife. So in the end it comes down to do you want the potential for huge burst of damage on occasion? Give them Two-Handed. Do you want consistent damage output? Give them Equip Swords.

Monk: Basically, either HP+30% or Bare Handed. As far as HP+30% is concerned, you actually probably don't need it; Berserkers have the second highest Stamina stat in the game, meaning that their HP numbers are actually almost on par with Monks, who beat them in the Stamina department by a single measly point. The practical upswing to this is that unlike Monks, who are stuck in light armor and thus need that extra buffer of HP to survive more than two hits, Berserkers can wear real armor and shields that will allow them to tank hits without immediately folding like wet cardboard. So while extra HP can be nice, it's not really necessary.

Bare Handed on the other hand is always useful for Berserkers, both early and late game. Early game, you can just have your Berserkers punch poo poo to avoid having to put up with the accuracy penalty of axes/hammers or the weaker damage of daggers, with the added bonus of possibly scoring critical hits. However, it's important to note that just because Bare Handed gives you the option to use your fists, you're not required to do so. So later in the game, once you've got some of the better axes and hammers and the damage from fists starts to drop off because of the poor scaling, Bare Handed is still useful because it bumps your Strength up to the same score as a Monk would have.

Counter is a trap. Avoid Counter. The reason being that the Berserk status you're constantly locked into prevents Counter from going off.

Thief: Artful Dodger is really your only option here, mostly due to the fact that all the other passives are redundant by virtue of already having a thief in your party. Artful Dodger doesn't really do anything except give your Berserker the same Agility score as a Thief, which is arguably more useful in the versions where the ATB for Berserkers isn't buggy, but there are still plenty of better options out there.

White Mage: Surprisingly, you want to give your Berserker !White 6. Even though you can't cast spells in battle, giving your Berserker this ability boosts their Magic stat to be on par with a White Mage's, which in turn increases the amount of MP you have available, and also affects your damage output for two late game axes, the Rune Axe and the Gaia Hammer. As an added bonus, you can still have your Berserker use their healing spells outside of battle to top off your party if you feel like you need to, thus conserving your real White Mage's MP for actual combat situations.

Black Mage: You want !Black 6 for the same reasons as !White 6, minus the whole "can heal the party outside of battle" part of it.

Blue Mage: Either !Blue for the same reason as the other two mages, or Learning, just so that you have an extra body on hand to help learn Blue Magic spells.

Summoner: You want !Summon 5 for the same reasons as !Black 6.

Time Mage: Did you guess "!Time 6" for this one? Give yourself a gold star. Though Equip Rods is also there as a comedy option if you're bored.

Red Mage: Same deal as the other mage classes, give yourself !Red 3 to boost your Magic stat. In theory, you could also achieve the same results with !Dualcast, but in practice if you were to do that, I'm pretty sure everyone else in this thread would personally track you down and slap you upside the head for it.

On that note, if you happen to roll into multiple Mage jobs alongside your Berserker, here's how you'll want to prioritize which ability to give him: !Summon > !Black > !White > !Time > !Blue > Equip Harps > !Red. Yes, Red Mages actually have worse Magic stats than Bards.

Mystic Knight: I suppose you could give your Berserker !Spellblade 6 if all else fails; you're not going to get a huge increase to the Magic stat, but it's better than nothing. You don't really benefit from the Strength boost, since as a Berserker you have a natively higher strength to begin with. Magic Shell's not really worth bothering with - if the enemy can knock you down to low enough health for it to trigger, something has gone horribly wrong somewhere and you're probably about to die anyway.

Bard: You want Equip Harps for three four reasons:

1. It boosts your Agility, so you're not slow as poo poo anymore.
2. It boosts your Magic, which powers up the Rune Axe and Gaia Hammer.
3. You can give your Berserker the Apollo Harp and let them shred dragons with it.

Ranger: Equip Bows is pretty good. It helps you by giving your Agility a boost, and also gives you the option to shove your Berserker in the back row with a Bow instead of an Axe, making them even harder to kill. It should be noted that bows tend to have accuracy issues similar to axes, so there's honestly no reason not to do this if you have the bows to spare and you don't need anything a given axe might offer you in return.

On a related note, Rangers themselves can actually make pretty good use of Equip Axes before you pick up !Rapid Fire to replace it. It'll boost their Strength to be on par with a Berseker's, and their innate !Aim command makes axes' poor accuracy a non-issue.

Beastmaster: Equip Whips is a solid choice for when a problem comes along. They don't have much to offer in the way of attack power, but they'll let you sit in the back row and potentially paralyze enemies you hit with them. And it's a fairly significant chance to paralyze, too. A Berserker with a whip can legitimately keep a fair number of encounters completely locked down with surprising frequency, especially if you also have your Beastmaster whip it good. Also, most whips tend to deal bonus damage to certain kinds of enemies, and there's plenty of them to go around so you won't really be stepping on your Beastmaster's toes when it comes to endgame weapon selection. It also gives you a slight boost to your Agility, but it's not as big a deal as it is for Artful Dodger, Equip Bows or Equip Harps.

Ninja: Dual Wield. Like with Thieves, the other passive offered by a Ninja is redundant, since you'll already have a Ninja providing it for you. You'll take a slight hit to your durability, since you're giving up the protection of a shield for another weapon, but your damage numbers will generally make up for it, since you won't be taking hits from dead enemies.

Geomancer: This class has nothing to offer you; the passives skills it teaches are redundant since you'll already have a Geomancer in your party. And that hippie poo poo !Gaia won't pass along the Geomancer's Magic stat, unlike real magic commands. I mean, gently caress, even the goddamn Red Mage gives you a boost to your Magic stat, and when a loving Red Mage outclasses you at something, you know things are pretty goddamn dire.

As for the Geomancer itself, it's another class that can get some good mileage out of Equip Axes, because it still has a beefy innate Magic stat, so it can put out some decent damage with the Rune Axe or Gaia Hammer.

Samurai: Can't decide between the consistency of Equip Swords or burst potential of Two-Handed? Consider Equip Katanas! Like normal swords, they have a consistent damage formula and aren't hampered by the same accuracy penalty axes suffer from. But they also have innate chances to crit, meaning you can still suddenly explode a random enemy's face out of nowhere on a lucky swing! It's the best of both worlds!

Alternately, Shirahadori/Blade Grasp makes for a fine defensive passive if you feel like you need to worry about enemy physical attacks. Giving a Berserker the Aegis Shield, the Main Gauche, an Elf Mantle and Shirahadori on top of their already insanely high HP totals and high defense scores from heavy armor makes them insanely difficult to kill with physical hits... and since you've got the Aegis Shield on there, you're also avoiding nasty enemy spells 33% of the time.

Dragoon: Equip Spears is... eh, it's fine. It's fine, really. I mean, it's more consistent than Axes, and there are a few that have elemental properties that can hit weaknesses, or deal extra damage against dragons, I guess. I mean, ideally you'll have better options than this, but if you don't, it's fine. Equip Spears is fine.

Dancer: The misleadingly named Equip Ribbons actually gives you the ability to equip the four Dancer-specific pieces of gear in the game - the Ribbon, the Man-Eater dagger, the Rainbow Dress and Red Shoes. Of the four, the Ribbon and Man-Eater are really the only ones worth considering. Ribbons give you +5 to all stats (mostly you just care about the Strength) and immunity to a host of debilitating status effects. The Man-Eater, despite being a dagger, is coded to deal damage as a spear, and also effectively crits any enemy that's humanoid. You have better options for armor and accessories than the Rainbow Dress and the Red Shoes, both of which basically only offer you Confusion immunity (Berserkers are innately immune to Confuse due to permanent Berserk status) and an increased chance of getting Sword Dance when using !Dance (which Berserkers can only do randomly if you give them the Dancing Dagger).

Chemist: Since you can't use Items in combat as a Berserker, you don't get any benefit from Pharmacology. That said, it doesn't really matter because you have a loving Chemist in your party, which means you have access to !Mix, and have basically already won the game, so what you choose to give your Berserker is immaterial at that point.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Y'all doing Enuo's work here. I look forward to chopping down treedeath to see what Ned I get. More so if X Gon give it to ya plays neo x death shows up.

This void poo poo is mine, motherfucker.

Aerdan is doing all the work, I'm just some idiot cropping pictures in GIMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
sat out a couple of years, hype to hop back into this

also i don't think i saw anyone post this yet so