Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Cassia is probably pretty benign, depending on your PG Chassis and the age the nation is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zereth posted:

How quickly can you press that button, anyway?

its research level 9,

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

AtomikKrab posted:

its research level 9,

It's also very underwhelming. The only person I've seen cast it was Purple (of course) and the horrible mashed up souls of gods just sort of randomly attack provinces, Agartha doesn't get to control them. I just walked around them and ended up winning that game as EA ermor. They do have a great casting sprite though and like to cast shadow blast a lot so it looks like they're puking death all over everything.

Slaan posted:

LA Agatha has big cave doggies to ride around on and Ethical Necromancy and won me my only game way back in Dom3 and are therefore the best Agartha though robot Agartha is also cool

I didn't think the cave drake knights were really worth recruiting the game I won as them but you get a lot of other fun stuff of dubious use like barrels full of living mercury that will kill the person you give it to it's first battle if you don't take precautions and undead horses stuffed with explosive barrels too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, when you get down to it Helheim is actually pretty benign. Barring coming under the influence of a Pretender God, they're a small Van faction that doesn't go out raiding or anything else, but just act as guides for the spirits of the dead to the afterlife. They're not mentioned to be in conflict with anyone lorewise, and if the world goes without the advent of a PG war for a long time (i.e. advances from EA to MA), they just quietly disappear - presumably reabsorbed into the larger Vanheim.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's also very underwhelming. The only person I've seen cast it was Purple (of course) and the horrible mashed up souls of gods just sort of randomly attack provinces, Agartha doesn't get to control them. I just walked around them and ended up winning that game as EA ermor. They do have a great casting sprite though and like to cast shadow blast a lot so it looks like they're puking death all over everything.

Yeah, Breaking The Seal does three things:

It almost completely erases all your cap pop, hope you weren't using that gold for any sort of troop upkeep or anything. The new cap site gives you a nice +4 death gems per turn compared to the original one but... still very lame at that stage.

It spawns a large mob of (Umbrals? Penumbrals? Mixture of both?) Agarthan ghosty boys, which are very good but frankly won't win you the game by that point.

It spawns three independent "imprisoned gods" which are really just ungeared Tartarians, when broken, each of them turns into a Legion of Gods which are very similar to Horrors. They run around on their own doing damage. The problem is that ungeared tarts are not very scary by the time someone has 9 research in anything, and the Legions of Gods are REASONABLY scary? Like not Doom Horror scary but definitely scarier than ungeared Tarts. Except they can't bust forts, so usually they just get stuck on one and sit there for a while, chilling, before flouncing off again.

My personal suggestions for unfucking BTS:

Reduce the research level, maybe even make it research 5 or 6. Make it a big red button you can push if you're getting hosed, to discourage people from loving you and/or something you intentionally cast to transition to a new phase of your nation. As it is, at Alt 9, it's a completely useless appendix of a spell.

Perhaps rather than BIG MOB OF UMBRALS which would be unbalancing early or wimpy late, make it a "mage enters to summon umbrals"-site, so it's a choice to transition away from your cap sacreds and etc. to an Umbral-based army, or perhaps even giving you limited cap recruitment of Umbrals/Penumbrals from the new site.

Don't necessarily mess with the Imprisoned Gods, but the Legions of Gods could use a combination of: Temp gems to help them actually cast something scary in fights AND Scabiel's "lol eat ur fort"-ability, so there's some sort of rush to hunting them down and destroying them before they annihilate your entire civilization by eating your cap fort, and can't just be waited out OR perhaps a high Reaper stat so that if they sit on your fort, you're greatly encouraged to rush out and fight them. As it stands they do eat a lot of pop(1000 per turn) and cause unrest(20 per turn) but... eh. Nothing to really encourage you to fight them if you can just wait one or two turns before they leave anyway.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I recall from way back that the designers more or less explicitly favored "evil" solutions, out of a sort of pessimistic IR "race to the bottom" idea. Blood being the best counter to Blood with Apocalypse as the second-best counter, for example.

In modded games of course this logic doesn't obtain.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tulip posted:

I recall from way back that the designers more or less explicitly favored "evil" solutions, out of a sort of pessimistic IR "race to the bottom" idea. Blood being the best counter to Blood with Apocalypse as the second-best counter, for example.

In modded games of course this logic doesn't obtain.

oh dont worry plenty of mod nations favor evil solutions

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slaan posted:

I don't know, "Literal Fountain of Virgin Blood That Requires the Blinding and Eventual Murder of a Mind Controlled Adolescent Girl" has some good policy ideas

You can't make an omelette without, uh

(Studies recipe book, frowning)

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't necessarily mess with the Imprisoned Gods, but the Legions of Gods could use a combination of: Temp gems to help them actually cast something scary in fights AND Scabiel's "lol eat ur fort"-ability, so there's some sort of rush to hunting them down and destroying them before they annihilate your entire civilization by eating your cap fort, and can't just be waited out OR perhaps a high Reaper stat so that if they sit on your fort, you're greatly encouraged to rush out and fight them. As it stands they do eat a lot of pop(1000 per turn) and cause unrest(20 per turn) but... eh. Nothing to really encourage you to fight them if you can just wait one or two turns before they leave anyway.

I think Agartha should just be able to gear and control them. They do get temp gems from what I remember, hence them puking shadow blast all over.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

sebmojo posted:

You can't make an omelette without, uh

(Studies recipe book, frowning)

you can fix it when you're god. its ok its ok

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think Agartha should just be able to gear and control them. They do get temp gems from what I remember, hence them puking shadow blast all over.

Getting three, unafflicted, humanoid tarts as part of the bargain would almost make it worth it, though considering you can only pull it once, I still would not call it worthy of being Alt 9, 8 at most. Now, if the legion forms also lost their 20% chance to go rampant... yeah, alright, then it'd be a worthwhile alt 9, something you could clinch a win with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of the reason I read these LPs is that Dominions seems like such an overcomplicated, enthusiastic mess that it accidentally wraps around to having lots of coherent strategy again. By accident.

The other part is I find Dominions fluff compellingly hilarious.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Night10194 posted:

Part of the reason I read these LPs is that Dominions seems like such an overcomplicated, enthusiastic mess that it accidentally wraps around to having lots of coherent strategy again. By accident.

I'll be writing up (well, posting screenshots of) the full nation list in the game tomorrow alongside the turn post. Because a lot of this fluff is super neat!

I've been neglecting a lot of regular army fluff because it's mostly wiki copypastes by BaronOhShi's own admission. Not that I blame him, good fluff is hard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Respect your fluffer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Night10194 posted:

this exactly, it's really surprisingly compelling in the combination of unbalanced jank, interesting ideas, and interpersonal scheming

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You rarely see such dedicated committment to just going ham.

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019

LukasR23 posted:

I'll be writing up (well, posting screenshots of) the full nation list in the game tomorrow alongside the turn post. Because a lot of this fluff is super neat!

I've been neglecting a lot of regular army fluff because it's mostly wiki copypastes by BaronOhShi's own admission. Not that I blame him, good fluff is hard.

My greatest sin TBH. I have half-heartedly put in little bits and pieces, like making the weapons use fire gems and alchemy and what not. Mostly I wanted to keep momentum going since writing is the part that makes me burn out quickest. I might go back at some point and re-write things, I do actually have ideas on how to change it, but it's just finding the motivation to do so that's hard.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I like that when the existence of a button that fucks the world is brought up the two things goons want to discuss are
1. how soon can you press the button
2. how can we make the button easier to press

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Turn 11 burden of time .jpg

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

I like that when the existence of a button that fucks the world is brought up the two things goons want to discuss are
1. how soon can you press the button
2. how can we make the button easier to press

Tulip posted:

Turn 11 14 burden of time .jpg

some of these buttons you can press really soon

edit:

Ramc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 30, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Notably one of the other fun bits about Dominions is seeing how utterly turbofucked the world becomes by the end by all these time burdens and frozen oceans and stuff.

It really makes me sympathize with those grim knight guys you can get as the tentacle cult nation, who were the victims of 'living in a Dominions game', and thus teleport around the galaxy trying to destroy worlds going through Dominions games to put them out of their misery.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ramc posted:

you can fix it when you're god. its ok its ok

Night10194 posted:

Notably one of the other fun bits about Dominions is seeing how utterly turbofucked the world becomes by the end by all these time burdens and frozen oceans and stuff.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Bonus post - Nation Overviews!

Real life has been pretty bad this week - Turn 19 will come over the weekend. In the meantime, have a bonus post featuring every nation in the game and their accompanying fluff! It's not going to be a full nation overview, but I'll go back and link to overviews if a nation has one in the thread.

I really should've done this earlier honestly.

There is no particular order to the nations featured beyond that which they appear in the nation list.

Mediolania - The Second Coming

They've got a whole bunch of rituals that either summon undead or summon people who summon undead. Those guys in gray are really interesting, as if killed they come back as a beefy-ish undead - which becomes a sacred beefy undead if it survives.

I've messed with them a bit in singleplayer, and I might actually take them to a mod game at some point.

Source, by Casus Belli

EA Cassia - The Apiary Dream

BEES!

Every forted temple these guys have will spawn a set of Spring Immortal Ethereal Homesick Sacred Bees. Every single one of their troops will deathshape into some flavour of bee (or swarm of bees) upon being killed, and most of them will come back afterwards if they live on. I think.

I'm about to play EA Cassia in a modded game as of the time of posting, so I will likely be writing a nation overview for them regardless of if I end up in a war with Ramc.

Ramc's better link - featuring the Jade Seal!

MA Cassia - The Restless Dreams

Same mod, different era. Confusing the Cassias may be bad for your health. Most of what they get is the same as EA, but they lack the freespawn unless they put up a global for it.

Lemnos - Land of a Thousand Cats

Cat.

From ArcVasti.

Link courtesy of Arcvasti.

Swarmhive - Curious Princesses

Slightly old version.

Link. Multiple eras inside.

Oceania - Beasts from the Waters

Pan but with 100% more Cthullu. And underwater! From the creator of Mediolania.

Source, by Casus Belli

Shambhala - The Hidden City

They get Yetis and silly hats.

gonadic ganymede — 04/06/2021
I got so annoyed when I played shambhala
nothing but 20 guys with slightly different coloured hats

Link

Ryugo-Jo - The Dragon Courts

Literally UW Jomon. But with a bit more magical variety. I really like them conceptually!

Link!

Vespika - Hungering Hives

Nothing I can say here that purple hasn't.

But have the link!

Regular Army - Metal Sluggers

Hey look, it's me!

In case I forgot before.

New Republic - Guardians of Peace

Jedi, but don't forget about their scary competent ranged dudes. They get this weird adventure site in their cap, and some slightly too strong raiding spells that let them summon lightsabres.

This is the second time a Nation from this pack has gotten screentime, as the redcoats from the same mod showed up in clowns.

Firepower Mod Pack

Dedarag - Rise of Dwalves DWARVES

Nation overview to come later. They're neat, though. Lots of astral on a solid base of MA Ulm.

From the Alexsa Pack, linked here.

Using all of these mods at once will not work, for the record. But if there's a demand I can upload Atrocitwee.dm for people to laugh at.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mod nations are always interesting because some modders try to balance them with vanilla nations, some modders try to balance them with other modded nations and some modders just do not give a gently caress or have zero conception of what "balanced" is.

You know, this is the first time I ever noticed that they're living in the Groverhaus. Just look at those windows.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, this is the first time I ever noticed that they're living in the Groverhaus. Just look at those windows.

layers

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Mod nations are always interesting because some modders try to balance them with vanilla nations, some modders try to balance them with other modded nations and some modders just do not give a gently caress or have zero conception of what "balanced" is.

And then there's the pokemon mod. I might have to do a post on that at some point, it was... special.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What a lot of them seem to have, is too loving many units.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

goatface posted:

What a lot of them seem to have, is too loving many units.

you should see some vanilla nations

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Turn 19 - Some days it is not good to be in the rear

Purple came through for me!

20 more air gems. We’re at 51 now, and if my luck holds up to get me another ~39 or so, then we’re in business at endgame. But for now…

Bleh. Stupid hunch anyway. This is one time where I’m glad to be wrong.

For once the unlucky casualty got shot by a slinger instead of my own forces. Poor guy.

The battle is entirely unnoteworthy.
Arms dealer prizes are an Extra Credit (nice!) and Another goddamn Grenade Box.

You gave your life for the cause, brave FCV. We'll remember you. Or I will, anyway.

The other events are a mix of annoyingly bad and shockingly good. Misfortune is weird in core Dominions 5, as while it technically makes the events worse.. They’re not THAT much worse?

Like these two! They’re BAD but not that awful.

And then I just casually get five hundred gold worth of lab in another province. This messes up my plans a bit, but I can fort this place instead. It’s gonna slightly delay construction though... eh. Worth it.

But all of that can wait! I have 51 Air gems. It’s time.

Bradley bunch is getting an upgrade!
Normally this wouldn’t be worth it, but the mod creator blessed me with Ritual Caster 4 and Master Smith 4. Time to enjoy A5 Rituals and Forges!
..if I can get the gems. Maybe I’ll buy more off Vespika.

You can see our new lab here, both on the world map and in the icons on the right.
Everyone is moving onto Dedarag’s capital, in case he tries to break out. And if he doesn’t, I can just split someone off to take that single province.

...I wonder if they’re building another fort in Star Peaks? Honestly I don’t care much if they are, it’s a free fort for me and one they can’t even mass sacreds from.

Future Lukas note: Heh. Wish I'd figured that one out earlier.

Seven metal slugs and 74 soldiers should be enough to keep whatever he breaks out with cooped up, and even if it isn’t it’ll hopefully wipe most of their frontline out and cripple the mage stack. I’ve already freespawned another ~30 Defence Force Soldiers, and have 9 metal slugs sitting in the capital and waiting for a commando.

Speaking of which, taking a break from FCVs this turn to recruit a commando who can take those metal slugs to a good home. My Prophet, Full of Hot Chicks, Honest is taking said soldiers to Darkwoods so they can start fort construction, but he’ll have a scout taking over for him after two turns so it’s not a fatal order.

I’m not recruiting any more Hydromancers for the time being for gold reasons, and instead turning things towards scout production.
Knowing what’s going on in the world is very important, and I can’t recruit scouts natively so.. This works. I might start churning out FCVs from here soon instead, but I value a bit of extra vision over the soldiers right this second. Because apparently the world has collapsed into war!

Or to be exact, the Jedi Republic is being overwhelmed by three insect nations at once. Both Cassias and Swarmhive are invading him.

[04:46] AfroSquirrel: wow, 3v1
[04:46] AfroSquirrel: all the bugs have attacked me
[04:46] AfroSquirrel: I can't kill them all, but I can ruin at least one. If you neighbor a bug, get in touch with me and we can make a deal
[04:46] j. (villain): there are 4 bugs
[04:47] AfroSquirrel: please don't be rude to the dwarfs
[04:47] Tagichatn: Sorry bud but you have like 30 provinces
[04:47] j. (villain): no there are actually 4 bugs
[04:47] j. (villain): cassia, cassia, swarmhive, and vespika

[04:58] Ramc: some days it is not good to be in the rear

Honestly I'm just glad I'm not the only one dealing with friendly fire. RIP the Jedi prophet and his horrific name.

(Credit to Ramc for these images!)
I’m unwilling to backstab Cassia simply because I don’t like the republic’s chances, but this is part of why I’ve accelerated the plan to force myself into air magic. Air has some of the best ways to shut down flyers, and while I probably can’t perpetual storm…

The smaller sources of Storm will absolutely win me fights if I can stop the bees from jumping on my backside.

Next time: A showcase of the toys air magic will give me. And a discussion on Jedi PD if I remember

Bonus:

I’ve begun forging helmets to let the metal heroes not have to worry about their squishy skulls being unprotected. Might make them less likely to explode when shot, and it's not like Madoka has anything better to do with her time or those nature gems.

And since I forgot to do this a few turns ago:

Ramc's god looks fantastic on the world map.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

god i love that big bee

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tulip posted:

god i love that big bee

I agree, that is a GLORIOUS bee.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

god i love that big bee

This is for you, then.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
big bee, big bee, don't you see that big bee
he's big and he's blue and he's buzzing at me
i'm on the front lines and I've just got this spear
i hope that big bee doesn't come around here

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Ramc posted:

you should see some vanilla nations

Lore dumps are fine but sometimes there is just units with most miniscule differences:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Banemaster posted:

Lore dumps are fine but sometimes there is just units with most miniscule differences:

So those weapons do different types of damage, slash/blunt, this can actually be a LITTLE important in that there are mechanics that affect their impact, last two dudes have two handed weapons and no shields which is a big difference because its trading a bunch of additional damage for less resistance to damage and ranged attacks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
EXTRA! EXTRA!

Absolute mad lad wins a game with reverse throne rush!

READ ALL ABOUT IT

Ramc
May 4, 2008

my dad posted:

EXTRA! EXTRA!

READ ALL ABOUT IT

Incredible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

It's hard to tell the difference between defiance and submission when your weapon of choice is a nigh-indestructible mind-devouring monstrosity from beyond the Void.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

EXTRA! EXTRA!

READ ALL ABOUT IT

I can't stop laughing.

Purple, you've been outdone. There's a new level for you to aspire to in reckless Godding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Purple, you've been outdone. There's a new level for you to aspire to in reckless Godding.

this game isnt over yet