Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Current Immunity Price: 175 coins

:siren:MOST RECENT COIN COUNT:siren:

Confessional booth

Welcome to OWURG!

You know the drill for these games by now, and since I am short on time and flashiness right now (It's been a rough week :zombie:) I'm just going to jump right in with the rules.

Here is the cool poo poo that will come up in this game

Coins

Players can rack up a stash of coins throughout play. Coins play a very important part of OWURG.

Coins have 4 uses:
  • The player with the fewest coins is eliminated if there is a tie during the elimination vote
  • Coins can be used to buy immunity
  • In the finale of OWURG, the jury votes for the winner by giving a number of coins to each finalist
  • After the final vote the player who has the most coins (Their personal stash + jury's gifts) wins $50!

Coins can be gained in 3 ways:
  • Most challenges have a way of earning coins
  • If you write at least one confessional in one of the longer breaks you get 15 coins
  • When you are voted out, you get 20 coins for each player that votes for you

Coin Transfers
One mod will be designated as a coin transfer mod and publicly announced each day. To transfer coins, message them the amount of coins you want to transfer and to who. The mod will allow the recipient to turn down the offer before the transfer is official. Coin transfers are not public.

Immunity

During the game, you can receive immunity from the elimination vote. Every challenge has a way of earning Immunity and it is also possible to buy immunity with coins.

Immunity starts costing 100 coins. Each time immunity is purchased, the price will go up by 25 coins. To purchase immunity make a post like this in the thread:

quote:

##Buy immunity for 100 coins
Make sure you use bold, ## and say the specific number of coins you're using. You will only get immunity if you say the right number of coins. Prices are first come, first serve. If somebody buys immunity seconds before you do then you must try again in another post.

:siren:You cannot buy immunity if it leave only one person without immunity:siren:

Communication and Coin transfers
This game has four communication modes:
  • All communication open. You may freely chat to any other players and transfer coins at your leisure
  • No trade. You can communicate with other players in whatever way you like but you cannot transfer coins
  • No private chat You can only communicate in thread or in the group skype chat. No trading
  • Closed Communication No game related communication or coin trading, in thread or out of thread and the thread itself may be closed. This is for voting periods and longer breaks.
I will announce when we are switching from one mode to another.

Voting
When voting opens, A specific mod will be collecting votes, send votes only to them. It will probably be me, MMM, but just check to make sure.

If you are voted out, you will get 20 coins for each player that voted for you. The number of coins you have after elimination determines how strong your vote is at the jury vote. Every player that is eliminated will be on the jury.

If you're going to stick around to watch the game play out, I might press gang you to help out with some of the behind the scenes stuff.

Confessionals

During the longer breaks I will open up a confessional booth. You will get 15 coins during each long break if you submit at least one >150 word confessional. Don't be a smart rear end about this, your confessional should be informative.

Confessionals will be accessible by all eliminated players, even player who are eliminated after the confessionals are made.

Credits
This game was conceived by me, but most of the should go to my comod Jon Joe who carried the game forward when I was claimed by a terrible illness in the past week.
:coolfish:The Carpet Shark:coolfish: has provided me the mental support necessary for me to make the game and will likely be forced to assist me during the run of the game itself.
Part time consultants Allen Wren and Mills provided small amounts of help as well.
And finally, my my large team of play testers definitely tested more than one of my games.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Game Flow

The game will take place across 6 "Episodes" before the jury vote.

Each Episode will follow this format:

• Introduction of episode and announcement of coin counts
  • Introduction of challenge rules + time for questions
  • Pre-challenge strategy and diplomacy time based on challenge rules (15 mins)
  • Challenge (<60 mins depending on challenge)
  • Challenge ends, immunity winners are announced and a new coin count is posted
  • Strategy and diplomacy time before vote (30 mins)
  • Vote (10 mins)
  • Player eliminated
  • Short break before next episode (5 mins)

Introduction of episode and announcement of coin counts

A short introduction for the remaining players along with a list of all players by the number of coins the have

Introduction of challenge rules + time for questions

Challenge is thoroughly explained and all questions are answered.

Pre-challenge strategy and diplomacy time based on challenge rules

Communication is open to players as they discuss their strategy for this episode. In some cases, this may be cut short for challenges that do not need it.

Challenge

Self explanatory. Specific concerns will be explained for each episode

Challenge ends, immunity winners are announced and a new coin count is posted

Self Explanatory

Strategy and diplomacy time before vote

A chance to talk strategy for the game. This is the only time you have to buy an immunity with coins.

Vote

a 10 minute period for you to reflect and cast your vote. There is no communication or coin transferring at this time. Just think and submit your vote.

Player Elimination

One player will be sent home from the island/genius mansion/big brother house/hell(I assume this was the popcon setting, although winv never confirmed)

Short Break

Go pee!

After the first two episodes in a day there will be a 1 hour break

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Your choice of DK64/Banjo Kazoie as well as your option selection determine which embarrassing Deviant Art Stamps I gave you.

Here are the player profiles:

Asiina
Coolest Thing: When I was in high school there was a trip planned to go to Europe. It was expected for everyone to go since it came around once every 4 years, so everyone would have a chance to go once during high school. However, it also cost several thousand dollars and we were quite poor. So without telling me, my mom got a second job as a cleaning lady at night in order to raise the funds for me to go. I didn't find out about this until years later, but to make it up to her when I got my first full time job I saved up as much as I could and took her where she always wanted to go: Greece. I gave her a guide book for Greece as a Christmas present, saying she would need it cause I was taking there, and it made her cry. Those two trips were incredible and by far the coolest things I've ever done.
Reality Show you are most like: Definitely Big Brother. I am down for the kind of scheming that involves sitting around half naked on comfy beds all day. Where you go crazy from paranoia because oh my god what if these people talking aren't talking about corn flakes but are plotting my doom!

Hiipfire
Coolest Thing:I played a video game faster than anyone had ever done at some point which was pretty loving cool
Reality Show you are most like:I don't watch alot of reality tv shows, so I guess just assume I'm one where people sit around doing nothing, i guess like big brother or something i dont even remember what big brother is even about tbh but i remember people sitting and doing nothing else.

Little Mac
Coolest Thing: Wrote Dragonball Z fanfiction
Reality Show you are most like: The Mole because of my gross bodily protrusions.

Pinterest Mom
Coolest Thing:I was briefly a Big Deal in games criticism.

Last year, I threw together a tumblr with every instance I could find of a games writing comparing a game to Citizen Kane, and it kind of blew up in games criticism circles. Writers and podcasters and games designers I'd been a fan of for years talked and wrote think pieces about or inspired by my tumblr.

Having people you've loved for years talking approvingly about something you threw together on a lark, and feeling like you're part of a conversation with them, feels Really Good.
Reality Show you are most like:Big Brother.

Big Brother's gameplay is slow, and plodding, and it looks like nothing's happening because all the votes are unanimous all the time, but it's a game of shadows and slowly shifting tectonic plates of power where information is important. I like Big Brother.

Magnas Gallant
Coolest Thing:I once rode an elephant in Thailand.
Reality Show you are most like:I would be real housewives of Atlanta, because like Kim I'm losing my hair and im also tardy for the party.

I'm also a peach.

Power of Pecota
Coolest Thing: Once I slept through two separate dorm fire alarms. idk what to say here
Reality Show you are most like:I would be Project Runway - in game I've got the poise of a Heidi Klum, the sass of a Michael Kors, the stone cold bitchiness of a Nina Garcia, and outside of games in docs and stuff I think I've got a good Tim Gunn-type demeanor. WHERE THE HELL IS MY CHIFFON

Superrodan
Coolest Thing:Well, I guess my job. I make video games and it's pretty neat. I just finished my first game that I pretty much made on my own as a developer and that was cool. Right now I'm starting on a series of games that try to take the Genius Game model and apply them to mobile.
Reality Show you are most like:I don't think any of the super popular reality shows really fit me. I'm not a Survivor, I'm not an Idol or a Chef, and if I were to refer to myself as "The Amazing Race" that would have some very bad implications considering I'm very, very Caucasian. Also, I really hope nobody considers me the Biggest Loser.

Instead I'll just have to go with Big Brother. But that's only because I have a younger sibling.

VivaNova
Coolest Thing: won busbs' CIV mafia twice~~
Reality Show you are most like: drag race cause duh
http://imgur.com/gallery/xyY6uQe

Murmur Twin
Coolest Thing: I am batting 1.000 in terms of having wishes made from blowing out birthday candles come true.
Reality Show you are most like: The Mole (pre-celebs) - light-hearted, fun, smarter than one might except, a focus on applying/sniffing out deception, and hosted by Anderson Cooper.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 8, 2015

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So what time is this going to start and roughly run until?

Also hello thread!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ah yes, It should be starting at 2pm and including the break it should run until 9 or 10, same as specified in the sign up thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Man I looked for it 3 times and couldn't find it. I'm bad at reading.

Hope you enjoy challenge rules being misinterpreted all weekend.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Man I looked for it 3 times and couldn't find it. I'm bad at reading.

Hope you enjoy challenge rules being misinterpreted all weekend.

I have died once already, I am ready for another.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Updated with player profiles. Your embarrassing stamps are based on your selection in the Option 1/2/3 question.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Viva I do not have you on skype please add me at congowrongo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We're currently in No Private Chat mode. You can chat in the public skype group or here in the thread and get to know the other players but no game chat until 2pm tomorrow.

I recommend introducing yourself.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey everyone. I talked a bit in the skype room but I wanted to formally wish everyone good luck tomorrow!

It will be fun to participate in my second forums game ever and as many of you know, even if I lose I'll still hang out and watch what happens.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDz9X2X3MTc

HAW HAW HAW

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'd like to offer a pre-game agreement that all contestants agree to picture eliminations happening in the style of The Glee Project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYEF6DvtAg

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Good luck everyone! I will be observing with interest.

Pecota I have your chiffon, where is my ORGANZA?!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

Pecota I have your chiffon, where is my ORGANZA?!

Where's my pea puree?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Where's my pea puree?

He absolutely stole the pea puree

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's up?

Important rules not to forget:
  • If the elimination vote is tied, the player with the least coins is eliminated
  • You cannot buy immunity if it would leave one person without immunity
  • When you are eliminated you receive 20 coins for each vote cast against you

Cool tips:

• You can change how a skype user's name displays to you by right clicking on the user's name and selecting rename. I recommend this for minimal confusion
  • If you make a secret skype group of 3 or more people, invite me to it so I can keep tabs on what's going on
  • You don't need to send PMs to do actions in this game and you should send messages on skype the quickest results.
  • If you are going to give coins to another player, message The Carpet Shark and specify how many coins you're giving and to who. Do not message me or JJ about this
  • If you're all hyped up with nothing to do, why not get your jimble jambles out by writing a pregame confessional? The 15 coin bonus does not apply to confessionals before the game starts

If you have any questions about the rules, this is the prime time to ask them.

I'd like everybody to check in to say that they're ready before we start the game. If everybody is checked in by 2, the first episode will begin immediately at 2pm with a coin count, followed by the introduction of the first challenge

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hello

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Does the price of immunity reset to 100 each episode, or is the 25 coin increase permanent?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does the price of immunity reset to 100 each episode, or is the 25 coin increase permanent?

It is a permanent increase.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

He absolutely stole the pea puree

He totally didn't!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

READY

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm in a ridiculous situation right now (that I will gladly talk about later) and right now it's looking like I will be 10-30 minutes late.

I'll take a penalty on the first challenge because I don't want to mess up scheduling and apologize.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Luckily I planned for this and the first challenge does not have mandatory participation.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

http://nothingsgonnastopmenow.com/

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Players who have checked in:
  • PMom
  • PoP
  • Vivanova
  • Asiina

Players who have not checked in:
  • Little Mac
  • Superrodan
  • Magnus Gallant
  • Hiipfire

And MMT has confirmed she will be late.

We won't start until all players have confirmed they're ready, so we might not get started until 2:15 or even later.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
im here

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm here but goddamn there were a lot of messages overnight and I'm reading as fast as I can to make sure I missed nothing important.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You missed opinions about Dota and Sailor Moon.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
and Top Chef

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Still waiting on Little Mac. Take your time, we're not going to start for another 15 minutes I think.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

MildManeredManikin posted:

Luckily I planned for this and the first challenge does not have mandatory participation.

Rock on. I'll have phone access while I'm out, if the challenge can be done from here I will try.

Public pregame confessional:
I went to my boyfriends moms house to pick him up and his mom won't let us leave (we tried twice - she yelled at him once and accused me of disliking her which was super awkward) and I don't know what to do. I live 30 minutes away from here and it's starting to snow.

I have about 10 minutes of being polite left before I peace out.

Other players: Please don't kill me round 1, I swear I will be around more when I get home :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Question from skype:

quote:

[1:51:46 PM] HiipFire:I was curious what you need for these challenges
[1:51:50 PM] HiipFire: like what format they'll follow
[1:51:56 PM] HiipFire: like are these gonna be contained in the forums
[1:51:57 PM] HiipFire: or what
[1:52:16 PM] HiipFire: or is that not something you can answer?

quote:

JJ: most of them will have the rules posted in thread, then played here in skype

quote:

[1:53:48 PM] MMM: roughly, I'd say it's sort of mix in that rules will be posted in the thread, and some interaction will happen in the thread, but a lot of interaction will happen by messaging the mods

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

With regards to being on your phone, the first challenge cannot be done on your phone. Other challenges can sort of be done on your phone but you will be at a large disadvantage to computer users.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Murmur :ohdear:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

Rock on. I'll have phone access while I'm out, if the challenge can be done from here I will try.

Public pregame confessional:
I went to my boyfriends moms house to pick him up and his mom won't let us leave (we tried twice - she yelled at him once and accused me of disliking her which was super awkward) and I don't know what to do. I live 30 minutes away from here and it's starting to snow.

I have about 10 minutes of being polite left before I peace out.

Other players: Please don't kill me round 1, I swear I will be around more when I get home :(

there's only one solution:

you gotta bone that mom

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

MildManeredManikin posted:

With regards to being on your phone, the first challenge cannot be done on your phone. Other challenges can sort of be done on your phone but you will be at a large disadvantage to computer users.

ehh im ok with having a handicap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I am on my phone and will be checked in by 3:00 on my computer. Sorry for being slightly late.

• Locked thread