Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Welcome to Dungeons and Hipsters, so named by a viewer making fun of our haircuts. Join us as we fight our way through hordes of cockney-accented thugs, towering monsters, creeping madness, and inter-party spats, all set in the backdrop of a custom, deeply etched-out world!

This is a 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons campaign and it will be brought to you live every Monday night at around 6:45 Eastern (right at this Twitch link). In addition to that we'll have edited versions coming at you on YouTube AND chronicled in a Google Doc as well (link madness in Section 3 below).

Before we get into the nitty-gritty resources, let me apologize that you'll all have to jump in a few sessions after the campaign started. To be fair, the first two sessions were mostly me dealing with my knuckle-head friends actually playing correctly (most of em are still newbies), and then recently we've had many setbacks with our technology. It's all (hopefully) shaken out now and our test Twitch livecast went pretty well last week. We will be adding more graphics, camera angles, and resources as time goes on (including hella sweet images for this OP), but I’m setting up the OP now so we don’t fall behind on broadcasting/posting any more sessions. For a full summary of the story so far, go to Section 3. For a brief overview of the story so far, head right to Section 4

I'll make mention of the previous season of Arcemia throughout the OP, but don't worry; you don't need any background knowledge to enjoy this campaign. If you want to read through Season 1, the Google Doc will be posted in Section 3. Now let's get into it!

:siren:If you want the TL;DR version of this LP, just skip to Section 4:siren:

Table of Contents:
  • Section 1: The Party

• Section 2: The World

• Section 3: The Sessions

• Section 4: TL;DR | Quickstart Guide

Section 1: The Party

DM - Boru/Brian/Me: I've been role-playing on and off for the past 12 years or so, mostly with 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition DnD rule sets. In my rebellious teenage years I dabbled with Vampire, GURPS, a few homebrew hacks (based on 3rd ed), and (for one summer or so) live fantasy combat (NOT LARPing, right guys? Guys? :ohdear:). After a few years without a group I sought out a few of my nerdy friends who were ready to cross the line into the realm of . . . dice-rolling role playing games! I started them off with d20 Modern, some 4th edition encounters, then Season 1 of Arcemia (which we rolled in 4th edition last year). We started Season 2 using 5th edition rules late last month.

Play Style: "Rule of Fun" I may not roll ~according to the rules~ all the time; if it will keep the action flowing I'll just wing it. In other words, if everyone's having a good time then my job is done. My player characters have a good deal of control over the campaign, but (as many are new) I’ll give them a good plot nudge every once and again.

Tristan (Half-Elf Warlock) - Donny: Tristan is a tortured soul. After his brother and he stumbled into a dark summoning circle (while on Thieves Guild business) things went bad. Really bad. Tons of people died, Sinclair (Tristan's brother) was snatched by the demon, and Tristan had to bind his own soul to a dark force simply to keep the demon at bay. The event has been polarizing to Tristan and haunts him day and night. Recently, a mysterious Blood Hawk has been following him as a Familiar.

Play Style: "The Wild Card" Donny constantly does stuff that no one (including himself) can explain. It leads to disaster and hilarious plot mishaps, so no one really complains.

Sven (Human Fighter) - Dennis: Sven is the eldest child of a (as of yet unnamed) noble family in the Consortium lands. He has severe daddy issues, stemming from the questionable child-rearing techniques his father used. Seeking to find purpose, Sven has taken his royal training to da streetz and fights for the underserved and needy.

Play Style: "Powder Keg" Dennis will mull over a situation for sessions on end, quietly. Suddenly, Dennis will do something that no one has seen coming that (typically) shakes the campaign to its core.

Malachi (Half-Elf Monk) - Zak: Malachi is a fallen monk. He will drink, steal, brawl, pass out, and then wake up filled with regret and swear that he’s trying to be a better person. He wants to become more of a hero the people deserve, but he is his own worst enemy. A dark past drives Malachi's debauchery.

Play Style: "Schemer" Zak always has a plan he's working on, typically unbeknownst to the party (he spent Season 1 running a "shadow campaign” with me that no one knew about until the very last session). Focusing on role-playing, Zak uses every circumstance to set wheels in motion on one plot or another.

Baralor (Half-Elf Sorcerer) - Brendan: Baralor is a student of the occult and various magicks. He has recently stumbled upon a dark, forbidden secret, hidden away in the back of a mouldy tome. Shaken to his inner being, Baralor has left the safe walls of his university to seek an answer to the unspeakable question he unearthed.

Play Style: "Brawler" Running season 1 as a straight-up striker, Brendan has traded his axe in for a wand this campaign. Not letting that stop him, Brendan will lay waste to pretty much anything to get the job done; now he just does it with suavity and intelligence rather than brute force.

Cain (Human Monk) - Adam: Cain is an older martial arts expert that has come to Angel's Point to forget. Once a respected mentor and leader in his dojo, something tragic (duh) happened that reduced the entire compound to blood and flame. Feeling (maybe justifiably?) guilty, Cain has left to live as a pauper. Recent dark whispers of evil arriving in Angel's Point have reached his ears. Unable to ignore the shocking rumors, he must finally face his past to defeat this new evil

Play Style: "Diplomat" A character actor, Adam tries to focus on doing the logical thing first, rather than brash plans that will kill the party. Though not scared of a fight, Adam would rather get into the lore of the world instead of razing it to the ground.

Lord Keenan Wood'say (Wood Elf Druid) - Mike: Keenan (or Woodsy) is an elf that is seeking help from the Consortium to stop the deforestation and pollution of his Druid's grove that's located a few dozen miles from the sprawling city of Angel's Point. Working to "make change from the inside" Keenan has begrudgingly taken up with the savages of the city (the PCs) in order to save his people.

Play Style: "The Veteran" Mike's been role-playing almost as long as me (maybe longer?), so he knows the score: never trust a pretty witch in the middle of nowhere, poke everything with a ten-foot pole, and make the biggest meathead walk in front of you down that suspiciously darkened alley. Mike's experience brings a level of order to the table of newbies, one that will hopefully remind them that I *do* make it my job to mess with their characters.

Section 2: The World

This campaign will be split into (probably) around four or five season. Right now we are in season 2. Season 1 saw the party barely defeat an alien body-snatching & invasion plot. The last season ended dramatically, with the party being caught in a magical explosion (brought on by a cataclysmic portal collapse). I pulled a Sopranos and “cut to black” after the explosion, so they will only learn their Season 1 characters’ fate throughout this season.
The action takes place on the huge continent of Arcemia. Arcemia is a land that has seen the rise and fall of many empires, with the current civilization just entering a vast golden age of technological expansion matched with an unfolding command over magic.

Arcemia is home to six different vast countries/territories. The eastern seaboard holds the broad, forested kingdom of the Northlands; to the south is the mysterious land of Vex, which is shrouded with dark magics and creatures of the shadow; the center of the continent is dominated by the feudal, gauntleted grasp of the knights of Goth; on the western seaboard (and the setting of Season 2) is the sprawling, patchwork lands of the Consortium Alliance; to the south (also on the western seaboard) is Quetozoacoatal, the land of sweltering, oppressive rainforests and intense primal magics; and finally, stretching across the entire continent, far to the north is the imposing and impassable wilderness of Fenrir.

We begin Season 2 in the lands of the Consortium Alliance. These are territories that are split between old royal families, clinging desperately to fading wealth, and a conglomerate of businesses, guilds, and corporations that have shared control over the collected lands. This powershare is seated in the province-city of Angel’s Point: a massive hive city that spreads out over roughly 250 square miles. Within the core of the city, the heart of the Consortium Alliance beats. It’s here that the three Major Houses and the dozens of Minor Houses centralize their power, make new legislation, and decide the fate of their constituents.

More (MUCH more) world building information is located in the Arcemia Primer linked in the following section.

Section 3: The Sessions

As mentioned above, we meet and roll every Monday night at 6:45ish (Eastern time) on our Twitch channel. Any personal issues/cancellations will be related via this thread, though for the past two years we’ve been keeping it pretty regular.

• This is the future place for all the YouTube videos from our feed! Stay tuned.

Have a little crunch and A LOT of fluff to go with your viewing pleasure:
  • Here’s the Season 2 event log, done in bulleted narrative form. :siren:This form will be updated after every session.

• Arcemia Season 2 Primer: Detailed world building information and indepth character bios for a few of the PCs.

• Season 2 Characters and Locations: Why are there so many people with “V” names? Beats me! Here’s the list of all major NPCs and locations discovered so far this season.

• Season 1 Event Log: The events that transpired across the continent in Season 1. May be a little rough as I originally wrote it as a reminder to myself/the party. I’m probably not going to truck through the 20+ sessions and rewrite them. Eh, the last one is really the most important anyway.

• Season 1 Primer: Last year’s player primer, if you want more info on the Arcemian continent and the Northlands.

• Season 1 Character List: I LOVE NAMING EVERY MINOR CHARACTER. Here’s the folks from last season.

• Season 1 Locations: The location list from Season 1. Turtle Town was the PC’s thing.

Maps:
  • Coming soon (we’re digitizing them, and I’m pretty sure you don’t want cellphone pics of my hand-drawn ones).

Section 4: TL;DR | Quickstart Guide
  • Seven guys playing Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition in the basement.

• Watch live Mondays at 6:45 (Eastern) (LINK) then check here for write-ups and YouTube posts.

• A few sessions in, but still more or less at the beginning of the campaign.

• The story so far is that the party has discovered that a body snatching/mind control plot is underfoot in their fair city! So far the villains have blown up the leaders of the city in a brazen bomb attack. The party is hunting down leads to see who may be responsible.

• We're in Season 2, but you don’t need to know anything about Season 1.

• Most of the players are newbies.

• The DM enjoys having fun over crunching facts from the book all the time.

• More resources, pictures, and technology will be added in as we go.

• Google Docs listed above will be updated as we go.

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

The Story So Far

Season 1 ends on a cliffhanger. The Party had been investigating a mysterious uprising of a massive goblin army. Slowly, the party realizes that there’s more to this than meets the eye, and they uncover that otherworldly cosmic horrors had bodysnatched and replaced key political players in the outpost town of Gale. These creatures then directed the war as a distraction to gain a foothold in the Northlands (the country in which Gale resides). By the time the Party discovered this it was almost too late. They roused a resistance, fought their way through an army of mind-controlled villagers and tentacled horrors, then arrived at a crystal that seemed to control everything. Amidst a fatal melee, the Party smashes the unstable portal crystal only for . . . everything to go black! What happened to the PCs? Are they dead? Transported? Let’s find out in season 2.

The action of season 2 takes place in the western-most country referred to as the Consortium Alliance (CA) with a brand new cast. These lands (whose seat of power resides in the south-western coastal province-city of Angel’s Point) are controlled by a conglomeration of corporations, guilds, and family businesses that makeup the largest part of the CA’s power base. The party have been individually picked out and hired for a mysterious job by the Consortium Council (similar to a Congress). The job entails going to a dangerous eastern section of the city and investigating a ruined cathedral that has laid dormant for many years. Recently, you see, strange sounds and lights have been observed in the leaning, ramshackle building. . . .

Sessions 1 - 5
Session 1
  • The party arrives by cart to the ruined cathedral. With them are two random street toughs, Harry and Jimbo.

• Malachi (the alcoholic monk) stumbles into the cathedral first. Heedless of the danger, he trips the alarm!

• Out of the back room, gnoll and orc mercenaries attack the party, with Warg backup sweeping up from the flank.

• A pitched battle over broken pews ensues, Keenan transforms into a giant badger and kills the orcs mostly himself.

• Tristan is the other MVP, melting both wargs while Sven tanks the orcs.

• Harry gets badly injured, so his mate Jimbo helps him leave the scene. The rest of the party takes a short rest.

• The party (more carefully this time) clears the rest of the top floor and finds a spiral staircase leading up into the attic and a hastily-covered trap door leading down.

• Keenan morphs into a spider and goes in the basement. He enters a stone room that has a tunnel leading south, as well as a split stone staircase leading up and down.

• Going into the tunnel, Keenan discovers a stockpile of explosive barrels!

• Keenan backtracks and then goes down the stairs.

• He discovers a canal filled with decomposing corpses, with a giant, chilling behind iron bars a few dozen feet away.

• Meanwhile Malachi redeems himself by spotting a trap at a hatch door located at the top of the spiral stairs leading up. He disarms the attic trap and receives some loot from within the attic armory.

• Regrouping downstairs, the party decides to attack the giant. They silently slip down into the body pit, but then Malachi falls noisily into the pit and alerts the big guy.

• The dense giant is confused, and gets Commanded by Tristian to lie down. While the giant does, the party splits up in body pit, with Keenan, Tristan and Sven going up a partially hidden body chute, Cain and Baralor making it up to the balcony that they dropped from (and then promptly out of the basement), and Malachi only making it half way.

• The Giant, seeing Malachi's legs dangling over the balcony, rings the alarm! Malachi scrambles up and races down the closest hallway -- which ends up being a barracks!

• Malachi dives under a bunk before the guards (who are now roused to action) see him. The guards exit out, running towards the sounded alarm.

• Meanwhile at the top of the body chute, the three guys discover the head honcho! He’s a well-dressed Warlock Tiefling, with a Hobgoblin Commander.

• Keenan, Tristan, and Sven burst into the boss’ office, setting off flaming hand, swinging swords, and lunging at the baddies honey badger style (literally, Keenan is once again a badger)

• The hobgoblin (the big bad’s Lieutenant) is annihilated. The tiefling surrenders (after being exposed as a sham: he just had single-use wands taped up his sleeve).

• The orcs and gnoll mercenaries go back to the chamber to see what’s wrong. Tristan disguises his face and sends the guards away.

• Kenan slips down the chute with the Tiefling baddy (‘Lord’ Slythern) and climbs into the entrance foyer (the first floor of the basement). The caged giant sees this and is growing enraged

• Orcs (that had been sent back this way) spot the boss held by Kenan and move to attack.

• Back at the other end of the dungeon, Tristian impersonates the boss and gets a gnoll detachment to attack the orcs that are confronting Keenan.

• Orcs fight the gnolls when Keenan (nude because he lost his clothes when he shifted) casts burning sword and scares the crap out of them.

• Finally the whole confused orc and gnoll guard pack attack the giant, when Tristan and Keenan jointly coerce them that the giant is somehow behind the whole fiasco.

• The gnolls and orcs get torn apart by the giant, while this happens the party rolls explosive barrels (that they found tucked far back in the other tunnel) up into the basement.

• The party blows up the whole place, Baralor (having come back downstairs to help) barely escaping the blast.

• The cathedral is destroyed, the Tiefling ringleader is captured, and the party is on their way back to report to the Consortium Council!

Session 2
  • The session begins with the Party in the debriefing room, talking with Jahn (the gnomish middle manager for Consortium Council affairs) about the Cathedral incident.

• Jahn says that Slythern (Sly, the tiefling captured from beneath the cathedral) requests that he is only interviewed by the party. Sly has been worked over pretty good, but claims that he has valid information.

• The party agrees, Jahn takes a break and gives the Party the room.

• While interviewing Sly, he confesses that he just wants to get out of this alive.

• He talks about how there’s rumblings of cosmic intrusion spreading through the underworld (as in body snatching, something seen in Season 1).

• Sly says that someone named Vorn seems to be a middleman for a powerful, horrible entity, Sly offers to take the party around to try and find him, if he can not get put to death.

• After some political wrangling and paper signing, the party is instructed by Jahn to take Sly with them, and meet a consultant to the Consortium who is well-versed in all things cosmic.

• The party arrives to a quiet part of the city, in a well guarded cottage they meet a shaky high elf warlock who seems to be half out of his mind.

• The warlock is Ryne (a season 1 player character, previous thought killed in action)! He tells the party of season 1 (some horrors from beyond systematically body snatching and invading this plane).

• He begs the party to be on the lookout for any cosmic intrusion.

• Looking at his watch, Jahn realizes that the large Council Meeting is almost starting (this is the semi-monthly meeting of ALL the major and minor houses).

• The Party gets seats way back in the nosebleeds in the majestic council chamber. After a few minutes the air gets thick and a strange buzzing is heard by all.

• Suddenly a mysterious figure in black teleports in the middle of the chamber (right next to the heads of the council)!

• He hoists a wand of some kind and sets off a massive explosion.

• The blast vaporizes the heads of the Major houses, kills scores, and half collapses the council building.

• Party (being on the outskirts of the chamber) survive, heal, then meet the new heads of the Council.

• They discuss their options and come up with three leads: go back to Northlands (the Season 1 setting, which defeated the cosmic incursion at great cost), check out contacts in the city, or go to the Northern Wastes to investigate rumors of strange new creatures.

• The Party decides to go to the city underhive to find out what they can from Sly’s contacts..

• Sly leads them into a terrible part of town, into a shady bar, then (surprise) gives the party the slip, speaking a codeword that triggers a gang of ruffians to bust it and start a bar fight.

• Party slaughters all the bandits, then set the bar on fire.

• After the carnage, Baralor ices the bars, mitigating collateral damage. .

• Party discovers that Sly is on his way to hide in the Hollows (a massive graveyard that serves as burial for most of the lower caste).

• Before taking off, they realize that they are near the thinly disguised Thieves Guild. Some thieves were NOT amused with the pub burning hijinks and duck in to report.

• Party decides to check in with the Thieves guild first.

Session 3
  • Party goes to the Lucky Lad casino (the obvious front to the Thieves Guild) to check out the scene.

• At the casino, Tristan slips upstairs alone (being from a thieves background) to talk to the bosses.

• Keenan follows along, undetected, as a spider.

• Malachi yells and raises a ruckus in one of the pit games to allow the rest of the party to work their way upstairs as well.

• While the party makes their way up, Keenan overhears Tristan begging the leaders not to punish him (from his mess up in his backstory; he took thieves guild property to run a private errand that ended with dead city guards, his brother's soul taken, and Tristan bound to a powerful evil) and allow him to make good his debt.

• Ley and Sable (the beautiful and deadly twin sisters/ leaders of the Thieves Guild) disagree on how to do that.

• Sable asks Tristan to bring his crew in, as there is a mission he can undertake to clear his name.

• The party is admitted into the inner sanctum and meet Ley, Sable, and their consigliere Vlin.

• Ley and Sable tell the party to help Tristan earn his way back into the fold, they’ll even get paid!

• They will do this by saving Thomas, a street urchin who lives at an orphanage a few miles away in the city.

• Thomas is dear to Ley and Sable, and the party agrees, for loot and riches.

• Along the way the party fight bandits from the same gang that they fought in the bar. The bandits barricade both ends of a side street with burning wagons and launch their ambush.

• The gangers bring backup this time, a Cyclops (who really wants beer)!

• The party convinces the Cyclops that they’ll give him more beer than he can imagine(nat 20 from Cain) if he kills the gang.

• The Cyclops agrees and unleashes on the gang members.

• The party mops up the rest of the gang, including some wild hyenas the gang throws at them.

• At the end of the fight, the party then convinces the Cyclops that fire is good for it and better than beer.

• Thanks to some ridiculous bluff/diplomacy checks, the cyclops plows through the flaming barriers, gets set aflame, and runs off bellowing with pain and rage.

• Cain finds the bandit’s treasure stash (which includes some gold and a magical item).

• The item is an enchanted rage sword. Cain takes it and (over the short rest the party takes) becomes obsessed.

• Arriving at the the orphanage a royal hullaballo breaks out.

• Cain is focused on the sword, which freaks out Tristan. Tristan charms the sword away, then Keenan (who views the stealing of another man’s loot as a real lovely thing to do) and Tristan start fighting.

• Meanwhile Malachi runs into the orphanage while Sven tries to restrain raging Cain (who REALLY wants his sword back).

• A beautiful raven-haired woman dressed in a nun’s habit comes out and offers to help, saying she is the mistress of the orphanage.

• Baralor detects thoughts and sees that all is not right. Keenan, hearing this, shoots the woman.

• Despite the arrow in her, the woman keeps her cool and holds sway over most of the party, convincing them to come indoors.

• The woman and her servant end up being an Incubus and succubus! They charm Cain and Sven and make the party fight.

• The fight is VERY close, especially as the party has no magical weapons to damage the demons efficiently.

• The Succubus (sensing defeat) tries to open an escape portal, but dies before she can escape.

• Tristan sees the portal and leaps through (for reasons?), the Incubus then traps most of the rest of the portal in his party and transports them away.

• Woodsy and Baralor are the only ones left in the orphange.

• The illusion broken, they see that the orphange is filled with dead kids . . . their life force ripped away from them.

• Not wanting to go to hell AND wanting to get paid. they find Thomas’ corpse, pick it up, saw off the head of the Succubus, and head back to the Thieve’s Guild to get their reward.

• Everyone else arrives in a hellish domain.

Session 4
  • Tristan, Sven, and Cain wake up on the shores of a hellish domain (red sand, bleeding skies, fiery river, etc). Malachi is mysteriously missing!

• Picking their way down a dusty path in between some jagged hills, the party realizes they are in a pocket dimension (the landscape around them never gets farther or closer, and the path seems the only place to go).

• The find a village that appears to be half constructed by the maker of the realm, buildings seemingly hanging in mid-air.

• Amidst the collapsed, half built village, the party sees a looming dome-topped mausoleum a few hundred yards away.

• Their way is suddenly blocked by oozing, filthy dretches (small demons, bloated with stretched-tight translucent skin who seem to sweat and shiver at the same time).

• The party fights their way in, with the help of Tristan’s familiar who suddenly transforms into Sinclair, Tristan’s brother who was “killed” by a demon in his backstory!

• Sinclair explains that some part of his soul is still bound to Tristan, but because they are in a realm of Hell, he can manifest himself physically, at least for now.

• Entering the mausoleum, the party passes through the building as it shifts from beautiful, to ghastly in a phantasmagoric testament to the slipping sanity and power of the ruler of this realm.

• Within the inner sanctum, the party encounters a large demon, shrouded in a robe, holding the Incubus on a barbed chain. A second chain lies empty on the other side of the monster.

• In a “voice” of buzzing flies and oozing honey, the demon claims its name as the Lord of Sleep.

• Impressed with their tenacity, the great demon offers the party safe transport home, as long as they kill one of their own.

• To help them, he shows them smoky, illusory depictions of their past sins and failures.

• Cain is shown as failing to protect the ones he loved and in fact aiding in their death.

• Tristan is shown, bathed in blood, binding his soul to a great malevolence.

• Sven is shown as taking part in war crimes as a young man, with his father, a great duke.

• Before the party can react, the realm shudders!

• A greater demon approaches, called by Sinclair’s presence.

• At the approach, Lord of Sleep flees, saying that “He” will never take him again!

• The Lord of Sleep leaves the Incubus to kill the party.

• It goes well . . . for the Incubus -- he nearly kills the whole party and retreats in victory after KO’ing Tristan and Sven.

• Shaking off the mind control of the Incubus, Cain dashes desperately to the portal that the Lord of Sleep escaped through that is rapidly collapsing. Behind Cain the mausoleum shudders and a horrific demonic visage is slowly forcing itself through into this domain!

• At the foot of the portal that the Lord of Sleep escaped through, Cain finds multiple powders labeled in abyssal.

• Rolling EXCEPTIONALLY high, Cain luckily (VERY luckily) picks the perfect combination of powders and is teleported to his friends’ previous locations.

• WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING: Baralor and Keenan get all the loot and honor from the Thieves Guild.

• Ley and Sable are deeply saddened by Thomas’ death, yet comforted that the succubus was killed.

• Baralor and Keenan go on a shopping spree! They stock up on some goods, buying potions and magical items.

• Sick of losing his clothes every time he shifts, Keenan asks the shop owner if there’s a way to merge his armor and items into him when he transforms. The owner says no.

• Outside, Keenan is approached by a wild-eyed older gentleman named Van.

• He promises to disclose rare secrets about shapeshifting to Keenan if they’ll hang out with him.

• Weirded out, yet hopeful, Baralor and Keenan agree. Van proceeds to get “turnt up” at a rockin’ pub with the two PCs.

• Suddenly, in the middle of the party, a blood-red infernal portal opens briefly DIRECTLY above the table at which Van and the party are eating.

• Cain, Tristan, and Sven (the latter two who are unconscious) are deposited humorously into seats next to Van and the portal snaps shut. Smoke sizzles off of their clothes.

• Van is surprisingly unfazed, administers a thick, honey-like elixir to the unconscious PCs which returns vitality to them, then resumes partying.

Session 5
  • The party wakes up, upstairs from the cafe, and meet up with Van downstairs.

• Along the way, Tristan catches a glimpse of Sinclair (now in blood hawk form again) in a mirror. Approaching the mirror, Tristan can’t “hear” Sinclair anymore, but gets the sense that Sinclair’s soul is struggling to stay connected to his.

• Van does brunch, speaking almost non-stop as the party struggles to get their bearings.

• Keenan, getting annoyed, insists on learning secrets of shifting NOW.

• Van urges the party to not get hasty, not when there’s such fun to be had.

• Van offers loot to all if they help him with a dire quest: help to set up a dinner party!

• The party jumps through a series of seemingly meaningless sidequests and sets up the party without much trouble (Woodsy spends a gem).

• To repay them, Van transports them to his private treasure chambers via a pocket watch.

• The chambers are carved out of dusty sandstone and all is dark. Van transports some treasure to them, looking briefly (for the first time) slightly cross at having to do so.

• Arriving back in time for the shindig, Van hosts the party!

• There are a few VIPs, and the party gravitate towards Stein Forgestone and Danton Chervich. They are fiercely arguing: Forgestone insists that corporate power is already too great, but Danton (an upstart, young, novice minor noble) mocks Stein and brags about plans in the works to solidify corporate power.

• Van defuses the situation, the shindig gets back on track.

• Two ruffians: Kat and Leer talk up the Party and get them to go and hunt a dragon named Kwalvan var Tharros tor Halia who lives in the Northern Wastes!

• Van seems very interested and agrees to bankroll the expedition.

• The dinner party winds down, and the Party sets out with Kat and Leer the next day to go kill a dragon.

• Venturing into the Northern Wastes, the party travel the better part of a day and set up camp deep in the desert.

• Seven miles away, visible through the shimmering heat, the Party sees the Cave of Tharros, which is perched atop a gradually rising hill of dunes.

• Kat and Leer tell the Party that they won’t have to worry: Kat and Leer (with their apprentices) will do all the heavy lifting. The Party will just have to guard a back tunnel to cut off escape.

• The Party sets up explosive-tipped ballistas to blow up the dragon’s cave.

• A white carraige pulled by two silver horses suddenly pulls up from the opposite direction. Van is thrilled: it’s his friend Lady Tiana, here to see the fireworks!

• Lady Tiana (vaguely elfin, young, with severe features and silver hair) jumps out of the carriage, that doesn’t seem to have a driver, and settles in next to Van to watch the hunt.

• Kat and Leer’s plan works (kinda), the the party lies in ambush to kill the dragon, after the ballistas collapse the cave.

• Everything starts going wrong, very quickly.

• The party, now some two miles away from base camp near the auxiliary tunnel the dragon uses, hears a tremendous crash and notices a silver dragon destroying the dragon hunting gear back at the base camp!

• The dragon hunters are driven out of the lair. Before they escape, a Brass Dragon “swims through the sand,” kills the hunting apprentices, and dices Kat to pieces.

• Leer almost makes it to the tunnel where the party are, they see him coming.

• The Party turns and sees the adult Silver Dragon flying directly at them!

• It says one word, “MOVE.”

• They do so.

• The Silver Dragon grabs Leer by one arm. The Brass Dragon grabs the other arm. Flying into the air, Leer is torn limb from limb.

• The party tries to rectify what’s happened, when suddenly Van and Lady Tiana appear out of nowhere!

• Brushing what appears to be a bloody bone fragment off her cuff, Lady Tiana offers the party a lift back.

• Keenan takes Van aside, saying that he knows who Van really is and he’s super impressed. Van plays dumb.

• Van jovially gives Keenan an intricate, finely crafted bracelet! Van says he just “found” the bracelet, but Baralor overhears Van casting a Draconic spell on the bracelet.

• The bracelet is enchanted with a “Dragon’s Gift,” an ancient spell that imparts the friends of a dragon with some aspect of its natural magical energies.

• The wagon makes ridiculously quick time back to town and leaves off the party at the Minor House of Magic and Casting, to buy items, hit the library, and eventually hit up the Hallows to find Sly.

• Three days have now passed since the Council Massacre.

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 26, 2015

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

So unfortunately no session tonight, as around half the party was sick/had serious prior obligations (being an adult sucks sometimes :reject:). That being said I'll post up the notes from last week and let you know if we re-adjourn this week.

Here's last week's notes:

Session 6

• The Party begins where they were dropped off by Van and Lady Tiana: the Minor House of Magic and Casting.

• Most of the party decides to research in the library (using Baralor’s membership to access the stacks). Tristan makes progress in discovering information about defeating demons and regaining control of souls -- a demon must be killed on its home plane or you must know its true name.

• Cain discovered (researching in the common events/census section) that two major political players (Stein Forgestone and Danton Chervich) were suspiciously NOT present in the Council Chambers when the Council Massacre went down.

• Keenan tries to sneak off into the Minor House of Magic and Casting, but gets detected, and turned around by a magical security system.

• He goes outside in a huff, and sees an advertisement that proclaims Malachi the Mighty (their wayward party member that disappeared for two weeks) is apparently performing circus tricks down at the docks.

• The rest of the party comes out, after Investigating, and find Malachi in some sort of makeshift wooden ring in the Red Zone (slightly-lawless section) of the docks.

• Malachi is being managed by a tall, red-cloaked fellow (the Ring Leader) with sharp teeth. Malachi claims that he doesn’t know the party.

• The Party begins to settle into the crowd to see how this will turn out, Keenan manages to sneak up as a spider and talk to Malachi.

• Malachi regains control long enough to mumble something about mind control and smashing a large glass jug the Ring Leader has tied to his belt.

• As Keenan sneaks his way off to the second story of a nearby alehouse, Cain raises some rabble.

• Cain tells some merchant marines that the Ring Leader’s guards were talking trash about their mom.

• The MMs get pretty ticked and start pushing and shoving the guards (who look suspiciously not human).

• Woodsy makes a solid shot with his bow, and snipes the bottle on the Ring Leader’s belt. It’s only enough to knock a hole in it.

• A full fledged fight breaks out. Seeing Keenan take a shot at the Ring Leader, Cain hops in the ring, bounces against the ropes, and spears the Ring Leader directly into the turnbuckle, then engages in a test of strength.

• Reeling from the blow, the Ring Leader turns out to be a demon! As soon as he loses control of his illusion, his thugs lose control as well and transform into their true form: vile dretches!

• The demons fight back, going toe to toe with the outnumbered Merchant Marines. Meanwhile the Party dogpiles into the Ring Leader, nailing him with spells and roughing him up on the turnbuckle. Cain slaps the Ring Leader in the chest and RL howls with pain!

• As he does this his head jerks back, and then gets taken clean off with a well-aimed shot of Eldritch Blast.

• Cain pins the Ring Leader for a three count, bounces on one rope, runs across and high-fives Tristan, bounces again, then launches over the ropes in a corkscrew suicide dive aimed at the severely injured dretches who are currently being pummeled by the merchant marines.

• Arcing over the ropes in a death-defying move, Cain KO’s all three dretches with his dive maneuver!

• One Merchant Marine, inspired, grabs the last dretch, hoists him in the air, then ends the foul demons life with a brutal backbreaker!

• After the last demon falls the crowd, thinking this to be just a show, throws gold at the party! Soon, the ring begins to fade away (an illusion cast by the Ring Leader), and the demons’ bodies evaporate into ash.

• The Ring Leader’s body leaves behind a faint imprint of soot that looks like a glyph. Baralor reads it and understands the Ring Leader’s true name (Narkl’lesthet).

• The Redguard comes to breakup the show, Tristan convinces them to move on. Before the Redguard leave, they tell the party to clean up their junk from out of the street.

• Turning around, the party see that the Ring Leader’s loot (magically hidden before) has reappeared! They race over, but Keenan and Cain reach it first, receiving the top picks.

• They drop an item out with their overeagerness, which Sven grabs (a +1 crossbow).

• The party splits at this point, going to hunt down further leads. Cain and Tristan head back to the Yellow Zone, going to check out Stein and Chervich’s alibi.

• Cain and Tristan (mostly Cain) has a pleasant conversation mostly in dwarvish about Stein’s absence from the Full Council Meeting.

• Stein discloses that he was gone to drum up support in the nearby town of Mercel. He is worried that corporation overreach will happen any day, and he wants to be sure he can bring in muscle, should the need arise.

• Stein points out that one person who would have a lot to gain by more corporate power, would be Danton -- who is pushing through legislation that would cement full corporate control in one single house.

• Cain and Tristan arrive at the Minor House of Parchment and Quills to acost Danton. Seeing an “out to dinner” sign hanging, Cain decides to wait.

• Tristan attempts to summon his familiar Sinclair and (nat 20) succeeds in reconnecting with his brother’s projection as a blood hawk!

• Sinclair phases through the building and jimmies open the front door.

• Seeing the door open, Cain waltzes in, then lets Tristan in through the back loading dock.

• They traipse upstairs to Danton’s locked office. Cain fails the lockpicking once, then critically fails (nat 1), breaks the lockpick and sets off the glyphed alarm.

• Kicking the door down, Cain rushes in, grabs what he can from Danton’s desk, then jumps through the second story window and starts bolting down the back alley.

• Tristan disguises himself as a member of the Redguard that he once talked to and meets the guards, telling them that the thief is getting away!

• The Redguard cops kill the alarm and corner Cain in the back alley.

• Tristan changes back to his normal face, then throws the sound of the alarm back in the building. He then just sits right next to the building (for some reason) and gets arrested.

• Cain shows the cops his Council pass, the Sgt tells Cain to wait for backup to arrive so they can square everything away.

• Cain decides instead to make a run for it, and gets shot up pretty bad with crossbow bolts for his trouble.

• Jahn arrives and starts wheeling and dealing, trying to free the PCs (who are his agents trying to solve the Council Massacre) only for Danton to show up and insist that he’s pressing charges.

• Jahn convinces the Sgt (and Danton) that charges can be pressed, but he insists on bringing Tristan and Cain back to the Council’s private holding chambers for debriefing. The Sgt agrees and Cain and Tristan are hauled off to the Council drunk tank.

• MEANWHILE the rest of the party (Baralor, Keenan, Malachi, and Sven) go to the Hallows (a massive graveyard for the middle-class/poor supposedly run by a death cult). Their old buddy Sly (see session 2) is supposedly holed up here.

• Arriving at sunset, the Party wanders around the darkened, creepy burial center and ends up next to a massive pit of corpses waiting to be interned. They see an emaciated monk leading a malnutritioned nag down to the pit, pulling dead bodies.

• The Party demands that the Revealer (the name of the death cultists) “reveal” to them the location of Sly. The cultist is unphased and goes about his business, dumping bodies into the pit.

• Keenan waits until the cultist is on the edge of the pit, then he boots the cultist in, 300 style.

• Landing into the 30ft pit on a pile of bony bodies, the cultist moans with pain.

• Keenan (rolling rather well) points out that by being close to death, one grows closer to the final Revealing. The cultist mulls this over (still in the pit) then mumbles in agreement.

• Almost getting the information they want, the Party is interrupted by a revealer Head Matron, flanked with six other cultists. She is coming to do the last rites (final Revealing) over the mass grave.

• The matron is cross that the party is injuring her acolyte, but overall grateful for the “good work” (aka killing) the party does to keep her holy land (cemetery) filled.

• The party gets aggressive, but the matron keeps her cool: telling them she will gladly tell them where Sly is hiding, if they do one easy job for her.

• The Matron says that a priestess of their order has stolen something important: a femur etched with holy Revealer scripture.

• This relic and the priestess must be returned intact so the priestess can be reintegrated into the fold.

• Annoyed and slightly creeped out, the party begrudgingly agrees.

• Keenan tries to take the young acolyte (the one he kicked into the body pit) with them to help out, but the matron insists that he must be disciplined for speaking out of turn to infidels.

• With that, the party follows the matron’s direction, trucking out to the mausoleum/crypt section (where most the the middle class are buried).

• They walk down a forgotten path and end up in an alleyway of towering, 25 foot crypts. Several hundred yards in front of them stands an ancient crypt, half overgrown, with its heavy stone door ajar. From within the party hears the sound of a woman wailing.

• DUN DUN DUN!
Bonus: Fan Art from some cool dude (or dudette) who watched our Twitch cast. This is a quick sketch of the fabulous dock-side wrasslin' match:

We will resume next week, if we squeeze in a session earlier I will let you all know!

• Locked thread