Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Terasdo was known for dark magic and its strict guidelines and protocol that control the practitioners. Hexes are routinely employed by its nobility as methods of maximizing returns on crops, maintaining the prosperity of its sprawling stone cities, and as mild forms of punishment. The elite Dread Knights, pulled for the brightest and most disciplined of the noble houses, serve as a devastating battlefield commanders, combining disciplined use of dark and anima magic and martial skill. Occasionally, an exceptional soldier who is awarded medals of bravery and discipline are offered the chance to study to become a Dread Knight. The current Malleus of Terasdo rules with a gentle hand, dealing out punishments with minor hexes in place of incarceration or execution from the capital of Tera, and urging the lords under him who more directly rule his vast lands to do the same.

However Terasdo is facing grim times. Dark tomes have been reprinted and leaked. More and more they are being found everywhere from magic stores to common bookshelves in homes, the owners having no idea how they came into possession of such dangerous works. What was once a tightly controlled substance is now widely available in the underworld of any major city. Bought items are often hexed, petty squabbles with neighbours result in uncontrolled curses and collateral damage. The neighbouring country of Lallite caught wind of the national incident and pressed a claim on the lands near its borders with Terasdo, declaring war.

Now with the Malleus on the warpath, defending his country with his Dread Knights, the duty falls on his children and their retainers to rule the country and ride the waves of increasing unrest among the nobility and common folk alike. Will the lords who once loyally served the Malleus make grabs for power? If and when they do, will there even be a country left to rule?

This is an open recruit for a Play-By-Post Strike! Game for 4-5 players, heavily influenced/based on the similar Strike Emblem game run by ZeeToo. I am going for a similar Fire Emblem vibe, using my own setting instead of his or the settings from the Fire Emblem series. I hope to be able run the same style of game ZeeToo plans to, with political factions vying for power, a war in the border provinces, and unrest in the streets. Please note that this is my first time running a PBP and so I may do some things wrong, but I will do my best to improve as we go on. PCs should expect to be pulled multiple ways by their duties, dealing with dark magic gone horribly wrong in the streets, increasingly disloyal nobles and possibly being called to the front by the Malleus.

The PCs consist of 1-2 children/relatives of the Malleus, and their most trusted retainers. Create a character as normal at level 1, including kits and tactical combat. As a Fire Emblem inspired game, each character will be equal, despite one or two of you having noble titles, in a pinch the lords will rely on the specialized skills of their trusted aides and in return the retainers have license to speak with their master's authority should the need arise.

You can apply your character to be one of the lords, a retainer, or both. Feel free to play anything even vaguely Fire Emblem, from ninjas to manaketes to farmers-turned-retainer, have a field day.

I have left the nature of the lands serving the Malleus vague for your benefit, so that your character application can shape the cities/duchies/lands/what-have-you they're from and add details to the setting. Anything unsaid or not heavily-implied is fair game for you to create yourself to match your characters and their motivations. If you're a wyvern rider from a mountainous region, feel free to describe the vast scapes of geography you can see from your dining room window, for example.

There are no hard and fast timeframes for normal play, my schedule is erratic at best, but I'd assume that you'd get to your combat turn in at least 72 hours, and if you couldn't then tell everyone. If you have questions, post away. I have PMs if you'd prefer, and I will try to be in #feunrest on SynIRC when I'm at my computer (when I'm away, I'll leave myself on IRC). Recruitment time is unknown, probably around a week or two, and I will give at least two days notice before I close recruitment.

Edit: The deadline for apps is the 13th, with me posting the selections on the 14th.

Edit2: Closed and selected!

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shiana, The Witchiest Witch That Ever Witched (Self-Styled)

Shiana here! Spellcaster extraordinaire! Graduated top of my class at my witch training!

Shiana, the academy has one-on-one teaching. You were the only of your class.

Shut up! You'll have to forgive him. That's my hat, Lamunarn. He thinks he's smarter than he is.

If anything, you were at the bottom of your class. You barely passed!

drat hat! The important thing is that I passed and I'm working with the Malleus of Terasdo! Well, I guess with all the trouble going around with hexes getting to normal people, I'm not really quite as trusted as I used to be. But I swear I have nothing to do with it!

You're not crafty enough to do something like that.

Do you have to defend me like that?! Well, whatever. All I can do is do my best to serve the Malleus' children and prove that I'm trustworthy! Magic isn't for just anyone to use! It's too dangerous!

quote:

Background: Confident Witch

Origin: Academy Student

Skills: Dark Magic, Potion Mixing, Occult History, Ancient Languages, Self-Promotion, Magic Academy (Connections), Grimoires, Ghost Stories
Italics: Sorcerous Skills

Resources: Poor (1)

Tricks:
Hex Girl: Can always identify when a hex is being used.
History Buff: Can always have read a book relating to historical events of Terasdo.

Complications: Big Witchy Mouth, Terrible Sleep Schedule

quote:

Class: Magician (Chaos Adept)
Role: Blaster
Kit: Sorcerer

Forcea (At Will)
Effect: The target and each creature adjacent to you are pushed 3 squares.

Toxis (At Will)
Effect: Target takes 1 Ongoing Damage and loses one point of Resistance if it has any. (save ends).
(At level 5, on a failed save, the target is Vulnerable 1 until the end of the encounter.)

Infernfield (Encounter)
Create a 7x7 zone centered within 10 squares. Each creature in the zone takes 3 damage.

Radiance (Encounter)
Effect: Target is Blinded until the end of its next turn.

Parrias (Encounter)
Use this power when a creature hits with an attack against you. The creature instead misses.

Reserve Spell: Charmus (Encounter)
Effect: Pick one creature. The target cannot attack you or the designated creature on its next turn.

Multitarget Boost: If you attack with a power with range X, you may instead make it a Burst 1 centered within X targeting all creatures in the zone. This still grants Opportunities as though it was range X. If it is a melee attack, you may make it a Burst 1 targeting all creatures in the zone. You may move the center of the zone one square for each square of reach you have.

Terrus (At Will)
Pick one of the following three options, centered within range 5:
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). The affected zone becomes Difficult Terrain until the end of the encounter. You may optionally remove any Low Cover in the area. (At level 8, your allies ignore this Difficult Terrain.)
• Choose a 3x3 area (5x5 at level 4). It becomes obscured (see page 94) until the end of your next turn. (At level 8, your allies ignore this obscuring.)
• Choose one square. It becomes Low Cover (Full Cover at level 4). (At level 8, pick two squares within range.)

The Sorceror posted:

Pick three of your trained Skills that represent using magic (or divinity, the internet, or some other esoteric force) to some specific end, such as attack, travel, or information gathering. These are your Sorcerous Skills, and can be enhanced by Power Tokens. Spend one Power Token to give yourself Advantage on a Sorcerous Skill Check, or to fuel an appropriate Trick. If you choose, the results can’t be undone by mundane means. When you replenish or prepare your sorcery by whatever means you establish when you take the Kit, reset your Power Tokens to 2. If you draw on an appropriate place of power to do so, reset your Power Tokens to 3.

Advances

Surge: When you roll a 6 on a Sorcerous Skill Check, gain a Power Token.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 8, 2016

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Definitely interested, probably going to post some kind of plague doctor in the next couple of days. :)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I have half a mind to take Alaster's character sheet from ZeeToo's game wholesale (at least the combat portion) and refluff him as "Croulee", sort of an Owain/Odin deal. Is that acceptable?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Any objection to posting over the character I made for ZeeToo's game? I still wanna play him. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Louis of Danu: Big Heart, Bigger Muscles
"Villain! Taste my fist, and know the sweet kiss of righteousness!"

Born under a full moon on a particularly magical day of the year and from a mother from a long line of practiced magicians and warlocks, Louis - the second son of the ruling Malleus - was expected to blossom into a fearsome and powerful sorcerer. Following in his eldest brother's footsteps he practiced magic day in and day out under the tutelage of the castle's strongest casters and smartest scholars. Any day now, his father would ponder as he considered where his newest living weapon would be best dispatched to.

Well, "any day" never came. Not a single blast of lightning, roaring firestorm, or even shadowy tendril emerged from Louis' spellbooks no matter how long he waved his hands awkwardly above them and spouted nonsense in a language he didn't understand. No, Louis had no gift for the magical arts whatsoever, there wasn't an arcane bone in his woefully martial body. Naturally this angered King Dad quite a bit and, before his second son could embarrass him further, he gifted him a (very, very) small bit of land and a retainer or two out in the boonies in hopes that he'd spend the rest of his life in obscurity.

This didn't actually bother Louis, though he didn't quite understand his dad's unspoken motives for ushering him out the door at a relatively young age. Instead Louis saw it as an opportunity; He always had a gift for physical labor and the charisma necessary to lead, so he and his retainers set off to build a kingdom from the ground up. Fortunately, it didn't take long before his winning smile, powerful laugh, and inspiring frame earned him the loyalty and respect of some of the peasants who had been burned by some of Terasdo's more draconian policies.

Fast forward ten years and Danu has become a rather pleasant city, though its small size was almost comical compared to its Lord's immense size. Louis had grown into a powerful fighter and bold champion, leading from the frontlines when necessary and raising a flagon when celebrating his victories. But word has come from a messenger that his father is in need of his services. Strange, considering the Malleus hadn't spoken to him in a decade or so since his departure. Still, Louis wasn't about to abandon family, and he packed his bags, told a few of his most loyal to accompany him including his old friend and straight man Edmund, and departed for the homeland. The trip was long, but between his own terrible singing and Edmund's delicious roasts (Louis was a man who appreciated a good roast), it was bearable.

pre:
Name: Louis of Danu
Class: Duelist
Role: Defender (possibly Leader)
Background: Warrior-King
Origin: Son of the Malleus
Kit: The Brute + Spellbreaker Mini-Kit
Resources: Wealthy [2]
Fallback: Not until level 2.

Class/Role Abilities
Find an Opening: When you attack the target of your Duel, you may spend any number of points of Focus. 
If you hit, deal one additional damage per point spent.
Stickiness Boost: +1 damage on Opportunities.
Defense Boost: When you take 3 or more damage, Resist 1. When you roll a 3-6, heal 1.

Feats
Minor Striker: Once per encounter, when you hit with an attack, deal +2 damage instead of using your
Role boost. Additionally, you gain Quick Shift as an Encounter power.

Skills
Courtly Manners
Lifting
Pugilism
Smiling
Stonemasonry
Drinking
Fortitude

Tricks
Brothers and Sisters, to Me!: Louis' bolsterous speeches can convert any amiable listener to pick
up the blade and fight at his side.
Destroy All Barriers: While he's more about creation than destruction, Louis is capable of leveling any
building, shelter, or construct with a royal punch. Within reason, of course.

Complications
Magic? What Magic?: Unlike the rest of his family, Louis can't even perform the simplest cantrip. 
Built for a Bigger World: Louis is a wall of a man, and sometimes size isn't everything.

Stuff
Cape, Royal Emblem

Kit Advances
Resist Spells: Spells have a reduced effect on you and you can break them with a touch.
The Brute: When you gain a Twist, you may gain the Winded condition to re-roll any task 
of athleticism, speed, strength, or appetite.

Powers
Survey (Duel) (Encounter, Free Action)
Target one creature within 10 spaces. Until the end of the encounter, when you attack that target,
any 2s you roll are treated as 4s.
Special: This power recharges when the target is Taken Out.

Aggressor (Change Target) (At-Will)
Make a basic attack against a creature. Then change the target of your Duel to them.

Gamble (Guessing Game) (At-Will, 2 damage, Melee)
Effect: Hide a card. If it's a circle (O), the target is Marked until the end of its next turn.
If it's an X, until the end of the target's next turn you are Guarded against it and if it attacks you
it grants you an Opportunity. Reveal this card when you need to prove what it is.

Heartseeker (Demand Attention) (At-Will, 2 damage, Melee or Ranged 5)
Effect: Target gains 1 point of Focus if it's the target of your Duel.

Swordbreaker (Perfect Defense) (Encounter, 3 damage, Melee)
Effect: Target has Disadvantage to hit you. They make a saving throw against this
whenever they hit you with an attack.

Defender (Mark) (Role, At-Will, Ranged 5)
Target is Marked until the end of its next turn.

Pass (Quick Shift) (Role, Encounter)
Shift one square.

Action Trigger: Wary Fighter (You Call That a Punch?) (Role Encounter Reaction)
Trigger: An enemy hits you.
Spend an Action Point. The attack misses instead.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 9, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

I have half a mind to take Alaster's character sheet from ZeeToo's game wholesale (at least the combat portion) and refluff him as "Croulee", sort of an Owain/Odin deal. Is that acceptable?

Maleketh posted:

Any objection to posting over the character I made for ZeeToo's game? I still wanna play him. :)

Go for it

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Interest post. I'm either reposting my thief lord or making a new thiefy type. Either way, I'M A THIEF.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Not going to make an app, as I already got picked for ZeeToo's game, but feel free to ask me if you need a sub.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

No scoping sniper goes here.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Ah, sure, interest post. Gonna take a look at the book today and tomorrow to see what I'd like to play.

E: A rookie-type Spear Fighter, probably.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 7, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Working on a Jagen type veteran knight

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Lucille?"
    "...what."
"Do you ever think about our parents?"
    "Really? Now?"
"We're not doing anything else, are we?"
    "...this is all your fault, you know."
"Oh? My fault? Who was it that triggered the trap again, hm?"
    "Wh- you pushed me!"
"Of course I pushed you, you were taking all day! The guards weren't going to keep chasing their tails forever. No matter how dazzled they were by my quick thinking and fabulous smile. What was taking you so long anyway?"
    "I was checking for traps!"
"Well, obviously you didn't do a very good job. Ugh! Stupid highborn witchcraft, I still can't feel my legs."
    "Crybaby. I got it far worse than you. It was a stupid idea to go after that damned book in the first place. ...and yes, sometimes I do wonder, okay? But they abandoned us. The cloister, that was home, not some house I've never seen and, and some people who left us to die in the middle of a forest!"
"...I'm sorry. Oh, we should never have left home, should we? Look where it got us."
    "Hmph. Come on, Addy, don't give up hope just yet. You heard him - 'we've got a job for you two' doesn't sound like they're sending us to be executed, now does it? We might squeeze our way out of this one yet."

pre:
Adrienne and Lucille

Theme Song

Background: Cat Burglars
Origin: Foundling Twins

Skills:
 Infiltration, Acrobatics, Stealth, Blatant Lies, Larceny, Word on the Street (Connections)
 Shifting Blame, Religious Doctrine
 Zany Twin Mischief
 Wealth [0]

Tricks:
 Thieves can always find a way in and find out who is watching.
 Working together, the twins can always keep someone distracted or confused for a while.

Complications:
 Untrusted
 Reckless

Kit: The Spy
 When you ask around for information on your enemies, roll an appropriate Skill.
 On a Success, pick two:
 - Learn a vulnerability of your enemy.
 - Learn something your enemy needs to continue their plan.
 - Learn somebody who is working for your enemy.
 - Learn where your enemy is headquartered.
 On a Twist, pick two, but the GM will lie to you about one of them.
 With a Bonus, you meet someone who shares your enmity and will provide material support.
 With a Cost, pick one:
 - You were too loose. Your enemy gets word about your asking questions. You’ll be
   at a Disadvantage on one later roll of the GM’s choosing.
 - You agreed to too much. You owe somebody a Favor.
 - You were too tight. You didn’t get the whole story. One of the pieces of info has a Flaw.

Advance: Fast Hands
 Whenever you finish having a conversation with an unwary person, you can name one thing you stole from them.
 You cannot pick something they are trying to protect — that would require a Skill Roll.
 Same thing goes if the person you are talking to is familiar with your reputation or is expecting thievery.
pre:
Class: Thief/Archer (Buddies)
Role: Striker

Adrienne the Thief        8HP
        &
Lucille the Archer        5HP
 Slippery (Doesn't grant Opportunities for moving)
 Ranged (Attacks are Range 5)
 Focused (Effect: Marked)

Feat: Stealthy

Enfilade       At-Will    M/R10  2 damage
 Effect: One enemy within reach of Lucille suffers 1 damage or one of your chosen Active Effects.
 If this enemy is this power’s target, you may do 1 damage AND one of your Active Effects.
Sororite       At-Will
 Lucille rejoins you (shifts to an adjacent square) and regains 2 HP, even if she was Taken Out.
En Passant     At-Will
 Lucille shifts 1 before or after this. Make an Enfilade attack.
Arc            At-Will    R5     2 damage
 Special: This attack’s origin is Lucille. Role Boosts apply.
 Effect: one of your chosen Active Effects.
Coup de Foudre Encounter  R5     3 damage
 Special: This attack’s origin is Lucille. Role Boosts apply.
 Effect: the Boosted Active Effect corresponding to one of your chosen Active Effects.
Appel          At-Will
 Shift 1 square.
Riposte        Encounter  Reaction
 Trigger: an enemy hits you with an attack.
 Spend an Action Point. Make an attack against the triggering enemy.
Elan
 +1 damage when rolling 2-5; +2 damage on a 6.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 13, 2016

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Maximillian, Great Knight

Every army needs a leader, to be sure; a charismatic noble who will rush into danger for the good of the country. And every leader needs a right hand; a grizzled veteran who will stand in front of the danger so the foolhardy lordlings can engage from a safe distance.

Maximillian is believed to be a descendant of Jagen, the famous paladin that stood beside the legendary Hero-King Marth himself. Whether that's literally true, or merely a myth perpetuated by Maximillian's noble house for political gain, no one can deny the man's valor in combat.

Yet despite all his prowess, Maximillian has never been retainer to anyone close to the Malleus. His refusal to join the Dread Knights when offered is rumored to be a reason for his career stagnation. Now pushing the wrong side of forty, the old soldier still awaits an opportunity to prove himself.

WIP, sorta

pre:
Name: Maximillian
Class: Martial Artist
Role: Controller
Background: Veteran
Origin: Noble Knight
Kit: The Wayfarer
Resources: Poor [1]

Skills
Master-at-Arms (fighting with any conventional weapon)
Foraging (acquiring supplies in the field)
Requisition (get better equipment from higher up the chain)
Command (ordering and inspiring soldiers, also intimidation or provocation)
Well-Traveled (Maximillian has been to most of the major cities at least once...)
Connections: Old War Friends (...and has at least one contact in each)
Riding (a great knight without a horse isn't so great)
Tactics (mostly small-squad, but also larger army maneuvering)
Noble Retainer (providing for and cleaning up after royals)

Tricks
Experience Trumps Youth: Maximillian can always win a clean fight
by turning it into a dirty one.
Of Course I'm On the List: Maximillian can always leverage his family
name to finagle an invitation in high society.

Complications
Too Old for This: War is a young man's game, and despite Maximillian's
extensive training regimen, there are things he just can't do anymore.
Outspoken: Maximillian has lived too long to suffer petty nobility
and bureaucracy, and won't hesitate to call someone out when they're wasting
his time.

Kit Advances
Base: When Maximillian enters a civilized or dangerous place, roll Well-Traveled for
potential benefit or Twist. (see pg. 34)
Logistics: Advantage on rolls to find or arrange travel/supplies for a journey.

Class/Role Abilities
Seal Speed (Control Boost): When I roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, I can choose to either
Slow the target until the end of its next turn, or to slide the target 3 squares.

Feats
Mounted (Sprinter): +4 Speed. Can use unspent movement on others' turns 
(resolves as a Reaction).

Stuff
Javelin, Tomahawk, Killing Edge, Vulnerary

Powers
Seal Strength (Sap Strength)
At-Will * Range 5 * Role
Target is Weakened until the end of its next turn.

Armored Blow (Stone Wall Style)
Stance * Melee 1 * Attack
D: 2 damage.
E: Target has Disadvantage with melee attacks against me UEONT.
Passive: Resist 1 ranged attacks from a half-plane of my choosing USOMNT 

Savage Blow (Tempest Style)
E: 2 damage to an enemy adjacent to the target.
Passive: 1 damage to enemies that end their turn adjacent to me.

Death Blow (Scorpion Style)
E: Ongoing 1 (SE).
Passive: +1 Opportunity damage.

Luna (Focused Attack)
Encounter * Personal * Free Action
On next attack, +1 damage and increased effect tier. Gain effect of Greater stance USOMNT. 

Action Trigger: Trample (Freeze!)
Encounter * Reaction
Trigger: An enemy moves.
Spend an Action Point. Replace the enemy where it started its movement.
Its Move Action is still expended.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 9, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

Working on a Jagen type veteran knight

Hah, I can see you do nothing in half-measures.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Is it possible to make up a Kit? I'm working on a kind of Spellthief sorta thing.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

Is it possible to make up a Kit? I'm working on a kind of Spellthief sorta thing.

Sure, provided you run it by me first on IRC or something, I'd be cool with it within reason.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Seanan, Journeyman to the Guild of Scribes

Bio in the progress, but scribes guild was secretly tasked with using their brand new invention, the printing press, to mass produce dark magic tomes. As a minor scribe, Seanan doesn't know who ordered the tomes. One day several tomes were stolen and released into the world at random. The scribes were then tasked to retrieve the stolen tomes by any means necessary.

Oh boy where do we start. A few years ago the Guild of Scribes got contracted to write some copies of some dark magic tomes. Nothing too complex, relatively simple stuff. But after we spent all year completing the job, our contractor came back and wanted more. More than we could produce by hand. Then one of the heads of the guild revealed his invention. By using several stamps from the local blacksmithing guild, the invention could use dark magic to press an arrangement of stamps onto a sheet of parchment using another spell to create dark magic goo for ink. At my best I could maybe transcribe three pages a day, but with this invention we could create a thousand! He called it, the Printing Press.

Our contractor was satisfied and up their demands even further. Countless months were spent doing nothing more than mass producing these tomes. Many of us began to delve into dark magic ourselves, and I learned a spell to quickly re-arrange the stamps so we weren't doing a single page all day. Our workshop was crammed with these tomes, putting them aside so our mysterious contractors could pick them up...then one day they all vanished. Windows in our shop were shattered, and someone had broken in and stolen nearly every single tome we had!

The next day, Dread Knights came to our building to investigate. But instead of offering help, they demanded we track down the tomes ourselves or else everyone one of us would be sent to trial for improper storage of dark magic tomes. While they interrogated the leaders of the guild many of us, the apprentices and journeymen, managed to sneak away. We had our task now and most importantly we had to hide the printing presses from them. They knew we were somehow using magic to mass-produce these books, but we couldn't risk showing them an invention that nearly anyone could use. We split up and each of us took a printing press to keep it safe with us.

That ended up working in our favor. The mass-produced books are unstable. If treated with care they'll work fine but as it turns out many of the tomes were designed to be treated with greater care. If the books are seriously damaged they can cause wide-spread destruction, something to do with the glyphs in the book supposed to be hand printed instead of getting as close as we could with a machine. That's how I met the Malleus' heir. They were investigating where these bandits found these tomes, at the same time I was sneaking into their camp to steal the tomes myself. I was caught by the bandits, but the heir saved my life. When I showed them that I could take the mass-produced tomes and re-transcribe the dangerous pages they brought me along. It's the best way I can make up for the mistakes of my guild.

pre:
Name: Seanan
Class: Bombardier Untrained Dark Mage
Role: Controller (possibly Blaster)
Background: Programmer Guild Scribe
Origin: Arcanist Academic
Kit: The Tinker

Skills
Scribing
Printing Press
Dark Magic
Magic Symbology
Connections: Guildmates
Languages
Research
Keeping your mouth shut

Tricks
I Know This Spell: Due to scribing countless dark magic books, Seanan can figure out how to
 work an unfamiliar spell book.
Quiet and Unnoticed: As long as Seanan minds his own business and stays quiet he is
 easily overlooked.

Complications
Bad Reputation: It's not exactly public knowledge yet, but word is spreading of the Scribe's 
 Guild connections to the mass produced spell books, and a lot of nobles are angry.
Meek and Humble: Seanan is used to quietly working behind a desk, and breaks under 
 pressure very easily.

Kit Advances
The Tinker: Break down items for scrap, talk shop with experts, prepare supplies, or gather
 new tools for Supply Tokens. Use 3 Supply Tokens when crafting to give properties: Superior and
 gives Advantage, Protection vs 1 Twist, Idiot-Proof (as Trick), or a different neat detail.
Workshop: Working in a Workshop saves 1 Supply token per item. This Workshop is portable.

Stuff
Favorite writing quill
Printing Press Workshop (+ wagon)
Mass produced Dark Magic tomes

Class/Role Abilities
Shaped Blasts: Ring (all tiles 1 away, or 2 away) and Cross (2 squares out in a + or X)

Misfire!: Don't take a Strike on a 1 for an attack roll. Instead take 2 damage and create a
 square-shaped (3x3) zone centered on you.

Lasting Blasting: May choose to make zones last one extra round. Choose when attacking.

Control Boost: When you roll a 3 or 6 on attack, Slow or slide (the strongest) target 3 squares.

Powers

Throw Spell Tome Grenade (At Will, Range 10, 2 Damage)
 Choose a type of Ammo. If Encounter Ammo, increase damage to 3. If Friendly Ammo, don't roll.
 Effect: Create a zone based on Ammo. Last until start of your next turn.

Poison Tome Toxic Bomb (At Will, Ammo)
 Creatures starting or entering the Zone must Saving Throw or take Ongoing 2 damage (save end).

Mire Tome Slime Bomb (At Will, Ammo)
 Leaving any square in the zone costs 3 squares of movement.

Flux Tome Zmoke Bomb (At Will, Encounter)
 This zone is totally obscured. Creatures can't see in. Creatures inside can't see anything.

Weakening Tome Sap Strength (At Will, Range 5)

Binding Tome Freeze! (Encounter, Reaction, Action Trigger)
 When an Enemy moves, spend an Action point to move it back where it started, expending its move.

Feats
Crafty Controller: 1/combat, make an enemy to reroll a saving throw. If they succeed, slide them 2.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 10, 2016

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Interest post

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Now, pay attention. This will be on the test.

A one time soldier turned professor, Professor Lenard Zue grew up in the Academy City of Plimtown. Carved into the side of a lone mountain surrounded by a rugged tundra, the solid rock rooms are a perfect place for students to practice alchemy and magic without causing undue collateral damage. Growing up in the shadows of the various academies throughout Plimtown, Lenard knew that he wanted make something of himself. However, without near enough money to attend, he did what any impulsive young man in need of money would do. He joined the army. Marching up and down the countryside whipped him into shape and instilled a solid sense of discipline that served him well in his studies.

Unlike most of his peers, Lenard spent his discharge bonus on something a bit more long term than booze and parties. Specifically, the entrance fee to the prestigious Plimtown Academy of Physical Sciences. The campaign trail hadn't dulled his razor sharp mind and graduated with high honors. Right after graduation, he turned right around and walked back into the Academy, where he taught in the Academy and worked as an alchemist. After he'd been teaching for a few years later with splendid results, the Malleus gave him a very generous offer (for a professor, at any rate) to act as one of the private tutors for the Malleus' children.

Since leaving the city Plimtown, most anywhere would be sure to have better hunts. While out on the frequent hunting expeditions that nobles tend to do, Professor Zue has sharpened his archery skills to something close to what they were in his army days. All in all, it's a good life, and Professor Zue feels quite comfortable saying that he's earned this calm psudeo-retirement. Lenard's version of retirement looks suspiciously like boot camp, though, in no small part to the strict schedule and workout regimen that he keeps every day. The few times he's been forced out of either by unforeseen circumstances, Lenard's been rather cranky.

As a teacher, Lenard insists on maintaining a formal relationship with his students. Even outside of lessons, he does his best to remain a distant authority figure. However, Lenard is much more informal with his fellow retainers and frequently spends the evenings trading war stories and playing cards, even though he doesn't have much of a poker face.

Despite his impressive education, Lenard's a bit suspicious of magic. With alchemy, there's only so much that can go wrong. One is only risking one's own life and maybe the lives of the people in the surrounding rooms. Magic, especially dark magic, has the potential to devastate entire regions. Privately, he sees the recent dark magic crisis as vindication of his opinion, even if he's far too intelligent to say as much to anyone on the Melleus' estate. Either way, it's not like it's his problem. He's retired.

...Right?

quote:

Name: Professor Lenard Zue
Class: Archer
Role: Controller (Possibly Blaster)
Background: Military Engineer (AKA Gunner)
Origin: Plimtown, born and raised (Resources 1, Apprasial, Easy Mark, Rivals with Lindenberg)
Kit: The Tinker

Skills:
Siege Engineering: If it's big enough to level a wall, Lenard has designed, built, and fired it.
Forced March: Officers don't much care if you haven't gotten your eight hours of shuteye, and like any good soldier, Lenard's gotten used to having a lot less sleep than he should rightly need. He's also quite happy that he hasn't had to use that skill since he was a student.
Chemistry: After spending four years as a student and another eight years as an professor, it's fair to say that Lenard knows just a bit about alchemy.
Tactics: While he was never commissioned, anyone who spent years in the army and had half a brain would pick up the basics of military planning.
Explosives: After losing one of his pinky fingers to a poorly packed charge while he was working as a sapper, Lenard's much more careful with explosives now.
Helpful Diagrams: When it comes to teaching, sometimes there's just no replacement for a good illustration.
Appraisal: Despite their reputation as gullible saps, Plimstowners have an eye for quality. The fact that they are still considered easy marks should tell you just how trusting they are.
Paperwork: Between years of dealing with stingy army quartermasters and weaselly answers on his students' tests, Lenard can navigate bureaucracy with the best of them.

Complications
Easy Mark: As most people in Plimtown don't have to really worry about making ends meet, Lenard is probably too trusting for his own good.
Rivals with Linednburg: No one really knows why Lindenburg and Plimtown are such scholastic rivals, but at this point, it doesn't really matter. Both of the towns despise the other. A good Lindenburgian will cut off their nose to spite a Plimtowner, and vice versa.

Tricks:
Dead Reckoning: A Military Engineer can always tell how far away something is with a high degree of accuracy
The "Teacher" Look: When dealing with people he has authority or status over, Lenard can always get them to comply with his requests.

Kit Advances
Tinker:
When you break down an item for scrap, talk shop with another expert, spend time preparing supplies, or gather a new tool or ingredient, gain a Supply Token.
When you succeed at creating an item, you can spend three Supply Tokens to pick from the following list of special properties.
• It is superior quality and using it gives Advantage.
• It has protection. The first time the GM tries to take it away or break it on a Twist, you negate that Twist and tell them what modifications you made to prevent such an occurrence.
(e.g. “Actually, it is biometrically locked, so it electrocutes that girl when she tries to pick it up.”)
• It is idiot-proof. It counts as a Trick for whoever is using it.
(This means that anyone using it can roll on the Skilled chart without needing any other Skill, or can spend an Action Point to automatically succeed.)
• Add some cool detail or effect to it like you would with a Bonus.

Mr. Fix-it
When you need to repair an item you made or a mundane item, simply spend two Supply Tokens and an appropriate amount of time and it’ll be good as new.
If you don’t want to spend from your supply, you are naturally free to roll your Skills as usual.
This can’t be used to eliminate Flaws in construction, but can eliminate Flaws the item picked up after being produced.

Triggers:

Control Boost
When you roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, you may choose to either Slow the target until the end of its next turn, or to slide the target 3 squares.

Stuff
Tricked out bow with weird scopes and other technological junk hanging off it
Rucksack filled with tools and half finished tinkering projects
Paper, ink, and an assortment of measuring equipment

Powers
Aim
At-Will
Effect: Instead of attacking, you pick any target you can see and aim at it.
Aiming grants adjacent enemies an Opportunity as though you were making a ranged attack.
If your next ranged attack targets the same creature you aimed at, any range restriction is removed and you have Advantage for the attack.

Flare
At-Will, 10 range, 2 damage
Effect: The projectile attaches to the target and illuminates the area like a torch. The target can’t hide.
The projectile can be removed by the target as an Attack Action but otherwise lasts until the end of the encounter.

Pin Down
Effect: If the target moves more than 2 squares on its next turn (if it moves at all at level 5), it takes 3 damage (5 damage at level 9).
If the target had a prepared action, it loses it. If anyone was Marked by the target, the Mark ends.

Area Denial
Effect: Create a 3x3 (5x5 at level 5) zone centered on the target.
Until the end of your next turn, any enemy that takes any action in the zone that doesn’t result in them leaving it, or that ends their turn in the zone, takes 3 damage (5 damage at level 9).

Sap Strength
At-Will, 5 range
(At level 4, save ends. At level 8, Weaken two targets in range.)

Trick Arrow
Encounter, 10 range, 3 damage
Effect: Choose one effect from the following list:
Explosive Arrow: An explosive attaches itself to the target. At the start of the target’s next turn, it explodes, dealing 2 damage to the target and all adjacent creatures.
Alchemist’s Fire: Ongoing 2 Damage and any creature that starts its turn adjacent or moves adjacent gains this same Status (save ends).
Smokescreen: Create a 3x3 zone centered on the target—the zone is totally obscured: creatures in the zone can’t see out, creatures outside can’t see in.
Entangling Bolt: Target is Immobilized until it spends an Attack Action to end this Status.
Tether Shot: Target is Immobilized, escape ends. While it is Immobilized, you can spend a Move Action to pull the target up to 5 squares.
Special: When you roll a 2 on your Trick Arrow power, you must treat it as though you rolled a 5, but you have run out of that kind of ammo.
Cross the effect off the list. (If you are making this attack in an area, you do not run out of this ammunition until all targets are resolved.)
Finding the materials and crafting these Trick Arrows is difficult, time-consuming and expensive.
You’ll have to find the downtime to make the Skill Rolls required if you want that particular ability back.
Use all the usual rules in the Non-Combat section. This is a powerful ability, so the GM should not let you off easy.

Freeze!
Encounter, Reaction
Spend an Action Point. Replace the enemy where it started its movement.
Its Move Action is still expended.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Kraulee Alexander, the Spirit Speaker from Another World, Necromancer/Leader

"Huh, the lines here intersect in a strange pattern. Is that why I woke up...huh? Oh! Hail and well met, ser! The magic in your fields called me to this most unhallowed place! Yes, ser, I know what these plants are used for, and I...uh, wait, put down the pitchfork, ser! we can talk about this! Gyah, why can't I call them up here?! AAAH!

"Milord, my name is Ala--aah...Kraulee. My name is Kraulee, and I swear I had no intention of trespassing on your grounds. No, milord, I'm not from Tera, I'm from, uh...over the ocean. (Close enough!) Yes, milord, I do have some small talent at necromancy. Demonstrate? Now? Of course, milord; would you have someone recently dead on hand?!..."

"You know, for what it's worth, I actually applaud you for trying to read the fancy spell! It's enthusiastic amateurs like you that REALLY push what Dark Magic is capable of, and that you could read it shows you have a LOT of potential. Just, uh, help me put out this hellfire before milord gets back, yeah?"

The last thing the newly self styled "Kraulee" remembers from his old world was being thrown into a deep gorge for his "debasement of the natural order", which of course meant practicing Dark Magic. He's not quite sure how he ended up in a nice field instead of smashed and dead on the canyon bottom, but he is so, SO grateful that this world is much more tolerant of Dark Magic practice. Even if he's not considered a lord anymore and has to carry a tray (not on his delicate fingers, of course--he makes it levitate over his hand with a seal slapped on the bottom!) to the relatives of this Malleus character, and try to sneak in reading travelogues in his spare time, and some of his old tricks from his old world don't work here, but the poppies are good, the magic flows strong, and nobody's going to defenestrate him!

...wait, what do you mean there's a war on?!

quote:

Origin: Degenerate Ex-Noble
Background: Dark Mage from a Different Dimension

Trick: Death-touched (B)
Having nearly died one before, Kraulee knows how to control his vitals to fake being actually dead

Trick: Necro Dancer (O)
Kraulee can call a spirit into his body and let them speak with his mouth, with a bit of ritual

Skills
(B) Connections: Gossipy Retainers
(B) Dark Magic
(B) Mana Lines*
(B) Buttling
(B) Alchemy
(O) Seance
(O) Medicine (Anatomy)
(P) Personal Vices
Wealth: Poor (1)

Kit: Seer
Once per session, you may foresee the results of an action before you or another player rolls. Announce that you are using this ability, make the roll in question and let the GM describe the results, including any resulting Twist. Then you may decide whether to go through with the roll and the outcome you foresaw, or to try something different.

Advance: Find the Pivot
You can see where the winds of change are blowing and find the weakest point in the house of cards that is the status quo. Perhaps you wish to buttress it, or perhaps to hasten its fall. Once per session, you may ask the GM where that weak point is and they must answer honestly. (E.g. “Hey, tensions have been running pretty high. What would need to happen to turn these protests into a full-on riot?”)

Complication
(B) REALLY Not From Around Here
(O) Chuuni Goth

Gear
Tome of Dark Magic
Locket with Torn Photo from home

Relationships:
None yet

Motivations
--

--------

Class: The Necromancer
Mark of Death: The first time you hit each non-Stooge enemy with an attack and deal damage, reduce the damage you deal by one and give it the Mark of Death. When a creature with your Mark of Death is Taken Out, you gain the benefit of your Gift.
Lesser Gift of Undeath: When a creature with your Mark of Death is Taken Out, it stands up on its next Initiative count under your control as a Specter (see the statistics below). The Specter has 1 Hit Point and is Taken Out at the end of its first turn.

Ill Winds (Phantasms): At-Will Range 5 Damage 2, Roll required
Effect: The next ally to attack the target has Advantage.

Bloody Eitr (Deadly Poison): At-Will Melee or Range 5 Damage 2, Roll required
Effect: 1 Ongoing Damage and the target cannot regain Hit Points (save ends).

Command Undead: Encounter, Range 10
Special: May only target undead creatures. The target makes a Saving Throw. If it fails, it is Dominated until the end of the encounter.

Moon Festal (Raise Ally): Encounter Free Action
Targets one ally within 5 squares that has been Taken Out or is at or below 0 HP. The ally may re-enter the fight with 1 HP.

Role: The Leader

Tactics Encounter (refresh 5 or 6)
One ally of your choice may spend a Move Action immediately. (At level 8, two allies.)

Heal Encounter (range 5)
Target may regain Hit Points equal to half its maximum (round down). The target may pick one of the following options (at level 8, pick two options):
If the target is Prone, they may stand up.
If this brings the target to full health, they may have Advantage on their next attack.
Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target’s next turn.
The target may make a Saving Throw against one Status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab.

Action Trigger:
Try again! Encounter (Reaction)
Trigger: An ally makes an attack and dislikes the result.
Spend an Action Point. The ally may reroll the attack.

Feat: Superhuman
Wizard Sight (see in the dark)
Soul Walk (You can spend a Move Action to teleport up to your speed to swap places with a willing creature you can see, or an Attack Action if they are unwilling.)

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 9, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
"Magic? I need no spells to take the likes of you. My axe alone will suffice."

The Malleus's daughter Victoria went into the religious hierarchy early. It was an easy choice; this was absolutely where the hexes that supported the current order were most often practiced and studied, and helped instill the fact of her family's right to rule. She never did learn to use much combat magic, but she did pick up the axe instead, to help hide this deficiency, and did so well enough that not everyone would even realize it.

The axe and her proficiency with more mundane, broadly-used hexes that help the nation as a whole gave her a good deal of self-confidence. She's grown into a confident if still untested ruler; her father being away holds no terrors for her. Familiarity with the real world and not the simplistic world of her religious background may be more difficult than she anticipates.

quote:

Background: Governing Princess
Origin: Warrior Priestess

Skills:
Commanding Presence (B)
Clergy contacts (connections) (B)
Terasdo Law (B)
Etiquette (B)
Ruler's Hexwork (B)
Axe Warrior (O)
Religious dogma (O)
Wealth (Rich) [2]

Tricks:
Aura of Rightness: Victoria can always seem like it's reasonable for her to be where she is, at least until someone stops and really thinks about it.
Rainmaker: Victoria's specialty with dark magic is actually the agricultural uses. She can always flawlessly execute such spells.

Complications:
Sees the world through religious lens (O)
"Of course I know what I'm doing" (P)

Kit: (Gunslinger + Face minikit)
Gunslinger (base): When someone challenges you to a duel, you gain an Action Point if you accept. When you challenge someone else to a duel, announcing their crimes to all, they must accept or else suffer Disadvantage on all social interactions until you pardon them or they defeat you in some way.
Smooth Patter: When you talk someone into something despite having Disadvantage for their poor disposition toward you, gain two Action Points.

quote:

Class/Role: Necromancer (Lesser Gift of Terror)/Defender
Feat: Minor Blaster

Mark of Death/Lesser Gift of Terror: The first time you hit each non-Stooge enemy with an attack and deal damage, reduce the damage you deal by one and give it the Mark of Death. When a creature with your Mark of Death is Taken Out, each enemy within 3 squares of it and each other creature with your Mark of Death takes 1 damage and must make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they are Distracted until the end of their next turn.

Deadly Poison Grievous Wounds (at-will, melee or ranged 5, 2 damage)
Effect: 1 Ongoing Damage and the target cannot regain hit points (save ends).

Terrifying Visage Advancing Blow (at-will, melee, 2 damage)
Effect: Target must use its Move Action on its turn to move its speed away from you or take 3 damage.

Command Undead The Meek (encounter, ranged 10)
The target makes a Saving Throw. If it fails, it is Dominated until the end of the encounter.
"Meek" here would be those willing to fall in line to a clearly dominating royal figure. Very willing to have that be only as common undead would be.

Life Drain Untiring Power (encounter, melee, 2 damage)
Effect: 2 damage and regain 3 Hit Points.

Defense Boost: When you take 3 or more damage, Resist 1. When you roll a 3 to 6 on an attack, regain 1 Hit Point.

Stickiness Boost: When an enemy grants you an Opportunity, it takes 1 additional damage.

Mark (role, at-will, ranged 5)
Target is Marked by you until the end of its next turn.

You call that a punch? (encounter, interrupt)
Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack.
Spend an Action Point. The attack misses instead.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 11, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oh look it's this guy again. :v:

Erech Lornay, Magical Researcher

Erech Lornay is the fifth son of a minor Terasdan noble. Always more interested in scholastic pursuits than hunting, art, and poetry, Erech eventually joined a local mage academy to escape an arranged marriage. His parents doubtless disapproved of it, but from that point he severed contact with them. Magic had always held a special fascination for him, and he had decided to devote his life to it.

It turned out he had a talent for it. Erech completed his studies with honors, graduating at the top of his class and remaining at the university as a researcher. He quickly gained a reputation for both intelligence and recklessness, performing experimental rituals without bothering to set up the proper safeguards. After a few years, he was prepared to present his findings on a new use for magic, one involving runes with time-delayed effects. He never got the chance. With the destruction that tended to follow in Erech's wake, the senior university staff had decided that he was more of a liability than he was worth, and the dean struck an arrangement with the Malleus to have the young researcher made a retainer to one of his relatives.

Officially, Erech is now an advisor, a retainer whose job is to offer advice on magic, both dark and otherwise. And, to be fair, his magical knowledge is pretty extensive, even if he isn't trained in the use of dark magic himself. He's also curious about the sudden spread of dark magic and wants to figure out why it's happening. He's a little too keen to test his theories in the field, but he's at least earnest in his desire to solve Terasdo's most pressing issues - at least until something else grabs his attention.

pre:
Name: Erech Lornay
Class: Bombardier
Role: Controller
Background: Magical Researcher
Origin: Dispossessed Noble

Class/Role Abilities
Shaped Blasts: Squares (3x3 square) and Rings (All squares either 1 space or 2 spaces away from the origin square)
Misfire!: On an attack roll of 1, do not take a Strike.  Instead, take 2 damage and center the power's zone on self.  Misfired zones are always square-shaped.
Slow Burn: Gain the Delayed Fuse power.
Control Boost: When you roll a 3-6 on an attack, you may choose to either Slow the target until the end of its next turn, or to slide the target 3 squares.

Feats
Versatile Minor: Use each of the following once per encounter: Precision or Terrain (Blaster), Mark (Defender), Slide an ally 3 spaces (Leader), Quick Shift or Draw a 
Bead (Striker)

Skills
Academic Colleagues [Connections]
Anima Magic [Sorcerous]
Arcane Lore
Linguistics
Magic Runes [Sorcerous]
Doublespeak
Etiquette
Aura Reading [Sorcerous]

Tricks
Magical Scholar: Erech can always determine the function or effect of a magical device with no more than a few minutes of study.
Magical Alteration: Erech can alter the function of a magical item or effect, provided it uses symbols, runes, writing, or other markings.  Exactly how the item gets
altered isn't always within his control.

Complications
Reckless Researcher: Erech has a well-deserved reputation for putting results above trifling concerns like safety.
Thin-Skinned: "He said what about me?"

Stuff
Various magical tomes
Numerous journals, papers, and other notes, kept haphazardly

Kit Abilities
Sorcerer Kit Base Advance: Pick three skills that respresent using magic (these are marked with the [Sorcerous] tag).  These are Sorcerous Skills and can be enhanced by
Power Tokens.  Spend a Power Token to get Advantage on a Sorcerous skill check or to fuel an appropriate Trick.  If I choose, the results can't be undone by normal means.
When replenishing magical energy (requires a significant amount of downtime), Power Tokens reset to 2, or 3 if in an appropriate place of power.
Kit Expansion (Scholar): Gain the base advance of the Scholar Kit.  Can use Power Tokens in place of Insight Tokens.  When a Scholar Advance grants Action Points, can 
take Power Tokens instead.
Scholar Kit Base Advance: When discovering something strange or inexplicable, gain an Insight Token and write down what it is.  Spend 3 Insight Tokens to have a eureka 
moment about of of the things, equivalent to rolling a 6 in a knowledge roll (can be used to learn knowledge Skills).

Powers
Place Rune (At-Will); Ranged 10; 2 Damage
Special: Choose a type of Ammo before you roll this attack.  If you choose an Encounter Ammo, increase the damage line to 3.  If you choose a Friendly Ammo, do not roll
an attack — simply apply its effect.
Effect: Select and mark two squares within 10. They are essentially mines that can be detonated at your discretion, but they take a moment to arm.  After the start of your 
next turn, you may elect at any time to use up one of your marked squares to create a zone including it.  This requires no action, happens as an Interrupt, and the zone lasts 
until the start of your following turn. Its effects depend on the type of Ammo you chose.  Decide on the shape and precise placement of the zone when you detonate it.

Spellblast (At-Will); Ranged 10; 2 Damage
Special: Choose a type of Ammo before you roll this attack.  If you choose an Encounter Ammo, increase the damage line to 3.  If you choose a Friendly Ammo, do not roll
an attack — simply apply its effect.
Effect: Create a zone including your target based on the Ammo you chose.  The zone will last until the start of your following turn and have effects based on the type of 
Ammo you chose.

Fire Tome (At-Will Ammo)
Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it take 1 damage.

Wind Tome (At-Will Ammo)
Leaving any square in the zone costs 3 squares of movement.

Fimbulvetr Tome (Encounter Ammo)
Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it are slowed (save ends).

Sap Strength (Role At-Will); Ranged 5
The target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Action Trigger: Freeze! (Role Encounter Reaction)
Spend an Action Point.  Replace the enemy where it started.  Its Move Action is still expended.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

pre:
Carmen
Class: Archer Hexer
Role: Leader
Background: Arch-hexer
Origin: Self-inflicted Curse
Kit: The Scholar
Resources: Wealth +2

Class Abilities
Blitzer
Teamwork boost

Feats
Nothing Fazes You

Skills
Connections: Magician of the Court
Dark and Unwholesome Knowledge
Gross Biological Artifice
Hexes in Theory and Practice
Secret and embarrassing musical talent
Skulking and Lurking
Poisons

Tricks
Maledictologist: Spot a weakness in anyone
Good with words: Communicate in pictures and gestures to anyone,
	regardless of their language

Complications
Mute: Carmen can't talk.
Too Spooky: As an elite hexer, Carmen often exudes an aura of menace
	without meaning to do so, and frequently gives people the
	wrong opinion about her intent.

Gear
Tome of Hexes, Dire Accoutrements
Sketchbook and pens

Kit Advances
Polymath

Powers

Aim
Flare
Pin Down
Area Denial
Trick Arrow
Tactics
Heal

Action trigger

Arch-hexer Background
1) Wealth +1
2) Connections: Magician of the Court
3) Hexes in Theory and Practice
4) Dark and Unwholesome Knowledge
5) Gross Biological Artifice
6) Skulking and Lurking
7) Trick: Ascertain a weakness in anyone

Self-inflicted Curse Origin
1) Poisons
2) Secret and embarrassing musical talent
Complication: Mute

Personalization
Wealth +1
Trick: Good with words
Complication: Too Spooky

Carmen is a living example of the power and danger of dark magic: one of Terasdo's foremost scholars labors under a curse of her own creation.

The young scholar first rose to the attention of the magical community after publishing several works on a novel interpretation of Fontenet's Recursivity Theorem. Dark magic had been used in beneficial applications for decades - cursing a cloud to draw out its rain in times of drought, or smiting a crop blight into remission. Carmen's idea was simple - rather than curse an object or person, attack infirmity itself.

Early results were promising. Cancers could be hexed into submission, and diseases that once could only be created or exacerbated by black magic could be defeated. Even a child with night terrors was cured by placing a hex on his fear itself. For a time, it seemed like Carmen was on her way to becoming the nation's foremost dark mage.

Shortly after she joined the Malleus' staff of court magicians, things took a turn. It's unclear what she was attempting or what went wrong, but a self-inflicted curse rendered Carmen mute. Rumors circulate that she was working on some form of stealth for the country's spies or a means of communicating across vast distances. Carmen refuses to explain, now that she's gotten used to writing out everything she needs to say.

Carmen's rise to the top has slowed, and she's fine with that. Her techniques were clearly not ready for widespread use, and these days, she has other things occupying her thoughts. She still fulfills her responsibilities to the court, frequently ministering to the invalids and the impoverished of Tera.

The sudden proliferation of unlicensed and imperfect hexes is deeply and personally troubling to Carmen, to say the least. Which she does.

-

So, a word on muteness. I've been kicking around this idea for a while, and PbP means having the time to draw little responses, think about how to describe miming things, etc. If that's going to be too gimmickey or disruptive, let me know and I'll come up with something different.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 10, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Medan was never a big fortified city, and the Medanites liked it that way. After all, who draws the line between a wall keeping people out or trapping them within? Clare always thought Medan wasn't important enough to warrant an army, until the Lallites came marching.

A furious firestorm bombarded the farmlands in an effort to cut off Terasdo's food supply, and Clare's family was lost in the attack. Clare took refuge in the woods with the rest of the survivors, sons and daughters without a home.

The borderlands were dangerous, but along the way the Medanites found refuge among "bandits" whose code of law was simple: strive to be strong, but share equally with the weak. Those who trample the weak are trampled themselves, as is the case with Lallite nobles crossing the borders. Clare was shown the ways of combat, which came as naturally as harvesting crops or chopping wood.

The bandit life was rough but gratifying, and their small band moved inland to combat the corruption within Terasdo's villages: public officials abusing dark magic, rich bastards withholding their fair share, and lawbreakers the likes of which could only be stopped by those outside the law. It was in such a town that Clare found new reason.

One of the Malleus' children was under attack by barbarians, a more greedy sort of bandit than Clare's kind, and a grueling battle between creeds brought Clare's own fear out by way of the young noble. She fought to protect the child, even after the villains had fled. The surviving members of Clare's band fled fearing persecution, leaving only the young lord, their surviving retainers, and Clare.

A hesistant Malleus greeted Clare, who the retainers introduced as a surrendering bandit. She quickly shouted word of Medan's massacre, which silenced the nobles. "I want to make Medan green again with this blade, by drivin' the soil and drivin' Lallite into the ground." The young lord behind her spoke her praises, and the Malleus was moved enough to take her in.

Still a little unkempt and ready to pounce at a moment's notice, Clare keeps occupied by tending to her windowbox in the morning and sparring with larger soldiers who make the mistake of calling her a "girl." Her heart remains in Medan, but at least she can call Tera her home.

quote:

Name: Clare "The Plowshare"
Verudagh
Class: Martial Artist
Role: Striker
Background: Guerrilla Fighter
Origin: Uprooted Farmer
Kit: Protagonist + Who? (mini-kit)
Resources: Penniless (+0)

Skills:
B: Scavenging, Friendly Bandit (Connection), Axes and Poleaxes, Tactics, Intimidation, Pathfinding
O: Gardening, Weather Prediction
P: Medan Survivor (Connection)

Tricks
Friends with Bandits: I always know where to find a "friendly" bandit encampment, or one we could overtake with little effort.
Survival Instinct: I can find an escape route if the situation arises. I always know my nearest exit.

Complications
Uncouth: I'm not one to talk proper or behave in the company of nobles.
Rage Quit: I won't stand around if I feel that something is wasting my time.

Advances
Bumbling
Underestimated

Class Abilities
Basic Stances
- Weeping Willow
- Tempest
- Scorpion
Focused Attack

Gear
Bronze Axe
Leather Satchel, Writing Chalk, Compass

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 13, 2016

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Left: Charlton in uniform. Right: What Charlton actually looks like.

Who is Saint Derzelas? The story goes that a court vizier or some royal family member wanted the throne by any means. So they tried to secretly assassinate the Malleus by infecting her with a disease enhanced by hexes. Only through the efforts of a group of clerics led by a monk named Derzelas was the Malleus able to survive. This led to three acts by the Malleus: the execution of the traitor as an example, the institution of our current dark magic regulations to prevent similar incidents and the formation of the Order of Saint Derzelas, in order to combat any future magical plagues.
--------
Who is Charlton Ravencroft? A plague doctor renowned for his skill that also never appears in public without his mask. He never shows and little if anything is known about his private life. But his skill in healing is great enough that he ended up in service of the royal family within ten years as a practicing cleric. Knowledge and skill unlike anything the order has seen in a long time, if there’s anyone you’d want around when you’re sick, it’s him.
--------
Charlton Ravencroft is a corpse. He does not know who he was when he was alive nor what purpose his resurrection served. What he does know is that he is the 86th experiment, and only completely successful resurrection of his “creators,” who have gone missing since their crimes were discovered. Charlton escaped from the lab before their experiments were discovered and found refuge in the Order of Saint Derzelas. He had an unusual aptitude and knowledge of healing magic, and quickly took to the plague doctor lifestyle. He wears his mask in public to hide his deathly pale complexion and occasional rot. Only a few confidantes in the order as well as his direct masters in the royal family have any idea as to the true nature of his existence. All the while, one question gnaws at him day in and day out: Who was he?

quote:

Name: Charlton Ravencroft
Class: Warlord
Role: Leader
Background: Plague Doctor
Origin: Necromancy Test Subject
Kit: The Scholar
Resources: Wealth [1]
Fallback: Not until level 2

Skills
The Order of Saint Derzelas [connection]
Healing Magic
Diagnosis
Good Bedside Manner
Medicinal Healing
Necromancy
Lying
Surgery

Tricks
Materia Medica: Charlton‘s encyclopedic knowledge of magic-related illnesses allows him to identify any known magic disease from examining the symptoms.
Habeas Corpus: Because of his own undead nature and necromantic knowledge, Charlton can tell when someone is undead.

Complications
Dissociative Disorder: Charlton has an intense curiosity about who he was when he was alive. If he thinks there is a clue to his former identity, he will chase it
Physician, Heal Thyself: Charlton needs to take constant care of his body to prevent it from decaying.

Possessions
Medicine Kit
Surgery Kit
Rowan Staff
Serrated Knife
Notebook (appointments, prescriptions, bills, etc.)
Ink
Quill Pen

Advances
The Scholar: When you discover something strange or inexplicable, gain an Insight Token and write down the strangeness. You may spend three Insight Tokens to have a eureka moment about one of the things on your list. This is a sudden stroke of insight, equivalent to rolling a 6 on a knowledge roll.
Specialist: Eureka moments about [magical maladies] only cost 2 Insight Tokens.

Class/Role Abilities
Pure Support Powers: When you hit with a power that deals support effects, you take a Support Token but deal no damage. When you roll a 6 on such a power, take an additional Support Token. When you miss with any power, take a Support Token. At the end of each combat, extra Support Tokens may be spent to reduce Strikes. You may spend up to one Support Token per ally to reduce their personal Strikes by one.

Rousing: Spend a Support Token when an ally starts their turn to give them 2 Buffer Points. You may not spend more than one in this way on the same turn. Gain a Support Token
whenever a teammate within 5 squares of you takes a Strike or fails a Saving Throw.

Teamwork Boost: Gain the Tactics Encounter Power. When you roll a 5 or 6 on an attack, you gain an additional use of Action Potential

Healing Boost: Gain the Heal Encounter Power

Powers
Cut the Tendons (Knock Him Off Balance) (At-Will, 2 damage, Melee or Ranged 5)
The next ally to attack the target has Advantage. (At level 9, they deal 1 extra damage if they hit.)

Anatomy Lesson (Enumerate its Weaknesses) (At-Will, 2 damage, Melee or Ranged 5)
The next ally to attack the target with Advantage rolls 3 dice and takes the best. (At level 9, until the start of your next turn, any ally that attacks the target with Advantage rolls 3 dice.)

Emergency Resuscitation (Don’t Give Up) (Encounter, Interrupt)
Trigger: One ally within 5 squares drops to 0 HP or below.
The ally instead stays standing with 1 Hit Point.

Action Potential (Tactics) (Encounter)
One ally of your choice may spend a Move Action immediately.
(At level 8, two allies.)

Full Recovery (Heal) (Encounter, Ranged 5)
Target may regain Hit Points equal to half its maximum (round down). The target may pick one of the following options (at level 8, pick two options):
If the target is Prone, they may stand up.
If this brings the target to full health, they may have Advantage on their next attack.
Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target’s next turn.
The target may make a Saving Throw against one Status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab.
(At level 8, add to the list this option: the target may remove one Strike against them.)

Action Trigger: Bounceback (Try Again!) (Encounter, Reaction)
Trigger: An ally makes an attack and dislikes the result.
Spend an Action Point. The ally may reroll the attack.

Feats
Routine Procedure (Bread and Butter)
Pick one At-Will attack power [Cut the Tendons]. Once per turn, when any power or ability allows you to make a Basic Attack, you may use this attack instead.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 16, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Edmund Cass

Born the son of the lordly manor's cook, Edmund would spend what scant free time he had watching the Malleus's men train in the yards. Every night in the kitchen Edmund would repeat the moves he saw the soldiers use, starting with the ladles when he was a boy and working his way up to the carving knives when he was a teen. A thrust here- a parry there, block like this, move like that. When Edmund came of age he desired nothing more than to finally train with the soldiers in the yard, and with the blessing of his parents he proudly showed up to the enlistment office and declared his intent to be a soldier - they all laughed at the silly kitchen boy. That is, until Edmund got his hands on a sword.

Over the years Edmund proved himself to be a level-headed and highly efficient soldier, if somewhat of a wet blanket at times. His cautious but steady approach, combined with tireless training and stellar performance in battle during his service afforded Edmund the chance to train with the elite and storied Dreadknights - an offer which he quickly accepted. Lacking the childhood experience and tutoring that the nobility often has with magic, Edmund's own style has developed to be a rather plain but overwhelmingly practical approach to the dark and animagical arts. Despite the earthly attitude of a commoner that Edmund wears, he's taken to the dark arts like a fish to water - after all, when you get down to it magic is just a tool, right?

Years ago, as a reward for his valiant and trusted service, Edmund was given a retainership and the special task of ensuring the Malleus's son, Louis, did not do anything 'too ambitious'. While the orders may have been somewhat vague to Edmund, he has faithfully worked to keep Louis, his charge, from doing anything too stupid or dangerous over the years.

In his spare time, Edmund enjoys cooking. But not eating.

pre:
Name: Edmund Cass
Class: Rogue (Brawler)
Role: Defender
Background: Dreadknight
Origin: Commoner
Fallback: None Yet

Kit: The Sorcerer
Sorcerous Power (Baseline) - Pick  three  of  your  trained  Skills  that  represent  using  magic  (or  divinity, the internet, 
or some other esoteric force) to some specific  end,  such  as  attack,  travel,  or  information  gathering. These  are your 
Sorcerous Skills, and can be enhanced by Power Tokens.  Spend one Power Token to give yourself Advantage on a Sorcerous 
Skill Check, or to fuel an appropriate Trick. If you choose, the results can’t be undone by mundane means. When you replenish 
or prepare your sorcery by whatever means  you establish when you take the Kit, reset your Power Tokens to 2. If you draw on 
an appropriate place of power to do so, reset your Power Tokens to 3.

Puissance (Advance 3) - You can spend a Power Token to magnify the volume or number of targets a Sorcerous Skill Roll 
would normally affect, or the sheer force it would exert; a roomful of people rather than one person, an entire floor rather than a
single room, a freight truck rather than a passenger car, etc. Multiple Tokens buy more scope.

Skills:
Dark Magic - Sorcerous Skill
Swordsmanship - Sorcerous Skill
Battlefield Tactics
Animagical Theory - Sorcerous Skill
Bargaining
Gainsaying
Cooking

Tricks:
Nerves of Steel: Edmund's experience, training, and general levelheadedness let him remain calm in situations that would 
panic lesser fighters.
Dreadknight: Edmund's status as one of the knights gives him a special place of respect among fellow soldiers.

Complications:
Common Stock: Knight or not, Edmund's a commoner, a man of low status - both socially and legally, he is expected to give 
deference to his betters.
Dreadknight: Edmund's status as one of the knights means he has many superiors within and without the order, and he is 
expected to obey their orders without question.

Feats:
Never Flat-footed: At the start of each combat, you get one free Move Action before anyone else acts. When you Rally, you 
gain an additional Move Action to use this turn.

Powers:
At-Will:
Combat Awareness (Hasten) - Move Action: Move up to 2 squares. Increase your Initiative by 1 for the next round and all
subsequent rounds. If your Initiative would exceed 7, it wraps around to 1 and you can act again at the end of this round.

Flank - Move Action: Choose one enemy within 2 squares. Shift up to your speed to any square still adjacent to that enemy. 
Choose one ally adjacent to the same enemy. They may also shift up to their speed to any square adjacent to that enemy.

Blade Dance (Trap) - Move Action: Gain your speed in squares of movement. Designate an enemy. If that enemy ends its 
turn within 5 squares of you, you have Advantage on your next attack against it on your next turn. If you already had Advantage 
for being Hidden, roll an extra die and take the best result.

Encounter:
Low Blow (Sucker Punch) - Free Action: Make a Basic Attack without Advantage against an enemy you would normally have 
Advantage against. You do not get your Role Boosts on this attack.

Lunge (Throw) - Move Action: You may switch places with an adjacent enemy. Throw them 3 squares. They must make a 
Saving Throw. If they fail, they fall Prone.

Role:
Darksign (Mark) - At-Will, Ranged 5: Target is Marked by you until end of its next turn.

Wary Fighter (You call that a punch?) - Encounter, Interrupt. Trigger: An enemy hits you with an attack. Spend an Action 
Point. The attack misses instead.

Inventory:
Standard Issue Dreadknight Longsword, Standard Issue Dreadknight Armour, Standard Issue Dreadknight Shortcloak, Cooking 
tools

brennon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 9, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox-R_H0lOuY

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Edited in my professor in charge of making sure these lordly whippersnappers learn their alchemy and military tactics.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

So, a word on muteness. I've been kicking around this idea for a while, and PbP means having the time to draw little responses, think about how to describe miming things, etc. If that's going to be too gimmickey or disruptive, let me know and I'll come up with something different.

It sounds fine to me, I just notice that you have two advances at character creation. Polymath poached from scholar, and First Aid from the doctor minikit. At char gen, a character gets one kit (tinker so your sheet says) and one advance from any of your kit/a mini-kit/a general advance/another kit(limit 1)

You may choose to not have a kit at character creation (which means you lose out on the ability inherent to the kit) in order to pick two advances from general or mini kits.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Also, how comfortable is everyone with editing their characters? I notice in particular a lot of controllers, and want to make the team based on primarily the characters I think would be fun to play with, without getting dragged down by the mechanics of tactical combat.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm happy to edit Alaster Kraulee if needed.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

Also, how comfortable is everyone with editing their characters? I notice in particular a lot of controllers, and want to make the team based on primarily the characters I think would be fun to play with, without getting dragged down by the mechanics of tactical combat.

Jimbo is pretty adamant that the game works with any combination of roles (including all blasters :psyduck:), but I can change my role to blaster or striker without compromising my concept. Leader's a bit of a stretch, but could work. Defender... doesn't make much sense, but could work, I guess?

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 9, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Jade Mage posted:

I'm really flexible with any role for my character, magic conceptually is pliable enough that you can justify most anything

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm perfectly willing to switch roles to basically anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been playtesting Strike for the better part of 4 years now and I can definitely say that every comp is "viable" but some are definitely stronger than others. The things you think are the strong ones may surprise you and are not necessarily just "defender + 2 striker + blaster + leader" or whatever.

THAT SAID, stacking controllers is probably the weakest general comp you can have, it just doesn't add that much damage or control against most standard Team Monster comps. Having more than two would probably make either the players' or the GM's life more difficult, depending on who is left to do the heavy lifting. But yeah I've seen parties with like 3 Defenders, 2 Controllers, and a Striker preform very strongly if people are choosing feats/powers to complement that (which is another reason you'd want to let people change characters around later since you won't know your Final Comp until that point).

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I will keep all this in mind.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm happy to edit, too. Not just role, but class. I saw a reskin and mechanics combination I wanted to try, but I could just as easily make her a shifter or martial artist, and any role except controller works for her. Not that that seems likely to be a concern.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Only thing I'm really tied to is the teacher aspect of the character, so changing the rest is fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

I'll be closing applications on the 13th, giving me a day to deliberate and pick the team by the end of the 14th. If there are any objections, feel free to voice them, I can extend the deadline if it is an issue for anyone

• Locked thread