Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoldFrankensteinMir

In Chuck Amok, my childhood hero Chuck Jones' autobiography, the legendary animator has this piece of memorable advice for pencil-dragging newcomers to the world of drawing:

Charles M. Jones posted:

"...it was no discouraging surprise to me that my first instructor at Chouinard Art Institute, like Nicolaides at the Art Students League, greeted his beginning classes with the following grim edict: 'All of you here have one hundred thousand bad drawings in you. The sooner you get rid of them, the better it will be for everyone.'

This was not a discouraging statement to me, because I was already well into my third hundred thousand."

It is, hands down, the best advice I ever got on drawing, and seeing as I've been selling drawings for years now it must have done me some good. The really important part to take from it is not the "one hundred thousand" bit, but rather the "bad" part. The key to doing anything well is practice, duh, but in the arts it's an especially nasty process because all of your mistakes are butting up right against your tastes and sensibilities, and the contrast is so painful. It's really, really, really, really, really frustrating being so much worse than your heroes for so long. But there's no other way to get better than to just get through it.

In this thread we will all be practicing drawing together, based off of eachothers' suggestions. It's pretty simple: someone makes a suggestion for a drawing, then somebody else will reserve the suggestion and make a counter-suggestion. Then those two people draw, capture and post. Two more bad drawings out of the way, and that much closer to glory!

To keep things from going bonkers we must have some :siren:THREAD RULES:siren: I suppose:

#1: No making GBS threads up the thread with pointless negativity. These are practice drawings, they are intentionally quick and crappy. Constructive criticism is still valuable but be kind, nobody should be expecting polished masterpieces.

#2 Try to make suggestions reasonably simple, ie you can finish them in less than half an hour. Please keep in mind we're doodling here, not drafting epic crowd-scenes, and copyrighted characters are considerably harder to draw than generic suggestions so they should be used sparingly.

#3: I won't kick anybody out for doing digital drawings- draw with whatever you want, graphite, ink, pixels, whatever. I personally think analog drawings on paper are better for the exercise because ease of editing is our enemy. If you make a mistake with a ball-point pen on the back of an envelope you don't get to Ctrl+Z out of it, you get to live with it, another notch on your bad drawings belt. But far be it from me to dissuade art of any kind. No matter how you do your drawing try to get the clearest image of it you can (we want to see your smudges and gently caress-ups, it's important to the process).

#4: General hosting n' posting rules apply: size your images reasonably, use timg as needed and properly host your files, put :nws: things behind a link etc. I use imgur for random stuff like this, I'm sure there are other services available, PM me if you're having trouble and we'll figure something out.

#5 Please don't ask anybody to draw anything creepy. At least, not in here.

STARTER SUGGESTIONS

Sign up for one of these by claiming it in a post where you also make a counter-suggestion, I will draw your suggestion badly in return for your bad drawing of mine.

A: Ghosts in a tricycle race. (RESERVED BY SUPER MARIO BATALI)
B: Ants getting married. (RESERVED BY FLUFFIEDUCKIE)
C: A wild-west birthday cake. (RESERVED BY SHINMAI)
D: Dinosaur propaganda. (RESERVED BY LUVCOW)
E: A drunken genie. (RESERVED BY DOCTOR DOGBALLS)

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Cool Drawing Resources

1: My personal favorite drawing instruction show, Commander Mark's 'The Secret City'. Between this and MST3K I was fairly convinced as a child that in the future we would all wear red jump-suits and draw cool space ships all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgLeSe8pN3s

2: A neat article about Lynda Barry teaching creative drawing and writing (longhand even) to the people of the Goddard Space Flight Center.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2016

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
claiming D. Dinosaur Propoganda

challenging with:

very sleepy and happy pig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Luvcow posted:

very sleepy and happy pig

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

:love:

FluffieDuckie

claiming ants getting married

challenging with hitchhiking 18 wheeler

edit:

had to add babies because they had children out of wedlock

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2016

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I would like to snag
C A wild-west birthday cake.
It'll take me a moment to find my pencils, some patience please :)

communist bacon

BoldFrankensteinMir

FluffieDuckie posted:

hitchhiking 18 wheeler

Fluffie Duckie, You immediately honed in on my weakness which is not being able to draw cars for shite. Nicely done.

shinmai posted:

communist bacon

Sig by Heather Papps

FluffieDuckie

yes well you see i could never draw a hitchhiking 18 wheeler so

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yes but you captured the wide-eyed nervousness of newlywed invertebrates so perfectly.

Sig by Heather Papps

shinmai

CHK Instruction

shinmai posted:

C A wild-west birthday cake.

I cocked up with the revolvers, but only have soft pencils and didn't want to smudge everything by erasing.

BoldFrankensteinMir

shinmai posted:

I cocked up with the revolvers, but only have soft pencils and didn't want to smudge everything by erasing.

The gunbelt is loving genius.

Sig by Heather Papps

FluffieDuckie

yeah as soon as i start erasing things go sideways

shinmai

CHK Instruction

I like how it's very minimalistic but immediately recognisable. Did you sketch in pencil and erase after inking, or do you just go at it in pen all fearless-like?

BoldFrankensteinMir

shinmai posted:

Did you sketch in pencil and erase after inking, or do you just go at it in pen all fearless-like?

I did a very light pencil sketch then inked over it. Erasers never enter the equation, this is like 5 minutes with a 2B gallery pencil and then a stinky fine-tip sharpie.

Sig by Heather Papps

Android Blues

good luck friends, maybe if i can scrounge up some kind of photo takin equipment i'll join you

FluffieDuckie

Android Blues posted:

good luck friends, maybe if i can scrounge up some kind of photo takin equipment i'll join you

i took my picture with my iphone and emailed it to myself to get it on my computer. i know this is a violation of the code of conduct but i figured drawing and participating was more important that adherence to rules, which as i think of it now, may not be the best example to be setting

BoldFrankensteinMir

Your photo looked fine, there's no rule against using your smartphone camera, so long as you do a nice job of it. EDIT- I have simplified the thread rules to be more inclusive.

Still no takers for Tricycle Racing Ghosts, so here's some more seed-suggestions:

-A snake dressed for a hot date (TAKEN BY CINDERFUL)
-Abe Lincoln, bullfighter (TAKEN BY MACNULT)
-Ducks wrecking a jigsaw puzzle (TAKEN BY TWIST FIST)

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 5, 2016

Sig by Heather Papps

cuntman.net

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

-Ducks wrecking a jigsaw puzzle

Macnult

lmao

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

amazing

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Claiming:

E: A drunken genie. (RESERVED BY NOBODY)

Challenging with:

a super-happy frankenstein eating a dessert

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

BoldFrankensteinMir

I love it. Do you have a subject you'd like to see in return?

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Claiming:

Challenging with:

Cake good. Candles bad!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i'd love to do this but i'm bleeding to death from a thousand cuts so i'll just watch and sometimes say things like

its good

hi how are you ♥

cuntman.net

I love it. Do you have a subject you'd like to see in return?

spider protesters occupy stall street

FluffieDuckie

Macnult

-Abe Lincoln, bullfighter

Rusty and rushed but here's a drawing.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Macnult posted:

Rusty and rushed but here's a drawing.

Very cool, the pose says it all. Want a drawing in return?

Sig by Heather Papps

Macnult

that's an awesome Frankenstein.

I'd like to see someone draw a hummingbird laughing at a cat trying to catch it.

SIDS Vicious

Holy cow I thought these were supposed to be bad drawings guys wow I am just in awe at these

BoldFrankensteinMir

TWIST FIST posted:

spider protesters occupy stall street

Sig by Heather Papps

FluffieDuckie

Darkman Fanpage
pork belly

Cinderful

Claiming

-A snake dressed for a hot date

a feathered serpent, as it were.

Challenging with
- a childrens bicycle dressed as a wwf-style wrestler

Cinderful fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 5, 2016

FluffieDuckie

Cinderful posted:

Claiming

Challenging with

I love the flowers in his tail :3:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Macnult posted:

a hummingbird laughing at a cat trying to catch it.

Then in return for this awesome one...

Cinderful posted:

...this:

Cinderful posted:

Here's some more challenges- I look forward to your counter-challenges!

-A mummy visits the dentist
-An underwater skyscraper
-Steampunk pizza

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 5, 2016

Sig by Heather Papps

Cinderful

OOOOH YEAH!

since childhood, I've thought the ultimate warrior looked like a little girls bike with his pink tassels and colourful mask. You went with the manliest angle possible, bravo!

Cinderful fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 6, 2016

BoldFrankensteinMir

Here are some more challenges to keep things going. Remember if you draw one of these things, even terribly, you get to make me draw something back, and I take the task of making strangers on the internet laugh with my sketchbook deadly serious you know.

-The president of the monkeys.
-Two gnomes arguing.
-Lovecraftian cactus.
-A totem pole of goons.
-A scarecrow ballerina. (CLAIMED BY POSTING SMILING)

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 13, 2016

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe

wowzers

• Locked thread