Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arriving home for the evening one night in 1935 Dr. Cyrus Llanfer opens his valise to continue work from the comfort of his home. Inside he finds a yellowed, singed envelope addressed to Henry Armitage. The old homemade glue crumbles as he examines the envelope and unable to contain he curiosity he pulls out the letter and reads the horrible words contained within.

The next day he presents the letter to Henry Armitage himself who requests the letter be kept secret for the moment while he tries to figure out what to do. He calls up a small group of trusted individuals to help get to the bottom of things before he tells his colleagues of the letters.

This is where you guys come in. After trying unsuccessfully for about six months to get four-five people around a table I’ve given up and decided to attempt playing over Skype/Discord/Roll20 whatever you guys suggest. I’m looking for a group of four to five players who can meet up once a week, preferably Sunday afternoon EST and attempt to play a campaign of The Armitage Files. As far as backstory all I’m looking for is why Armitage would contact you to investigate this mysterious letter.

As a heads up I haven’t run a game over the internet before and I’ve only played a couple one shots of Trail so far so it might be a little rough but I’ll take criticisms to heart and try to improve based on suggestions I get.

I'll post the first letter once I've got the players and a set time to play. Ideally I'd like to start a week from today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ooh, I wanna play Trail of Cthulhu. But I think I'll be busy Sunday afternoon EST--would Sunday evening EST (say, 3-6 PST) be okay? Also, what sort of characters are you looking for?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you can do Saturdays and actually starting at noon, so that the start is merely evening for me, a filthy Euro, I am game.

If not, that's cool.

Either way, I'd suggest also putting up a recruitment on the Roll20 listings for a couple of weeks. Don't recruit people as they apply, let the apps simmer for a while - getting more people into the game right away will drop you in the listings and less people will check it out.

In the app, I'd suggest asking people their age, gender, where they're from, their time zone and whether they can reliably make it at that time every week, whether they have an okay mic, their experience with TOC and the Mythos poo poo in general and some questions about who they want to play, I guess. I wrote, like, a questionnaire with a few hypothetical situations that I ask people to answer in character, to see what they'd be like in the game, but the questions are all D&D-based - however the principle and I'd suggest you try the same.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 10, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, I noticed you haven't posted in the TG Recruitment Thread. Maybe do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Davin Valkri posted:

Ooh, I wanna play Trail of Cthulhu. But I think I'll be busy Sunday afternoon EST--would Sunday evening EST (say, 3-6 PST) be okay? Also, what sort of characters are you looking for?

3-6 pst is 9-12 est right? I'd be okay with that. I work afternoons so I don't normally go to bed until after midnight anyway. As for characters I'm open to pretty much any idea as long as you can rationalize Armitage knowing you and reaching out to you. It could just be you're one of his students or it could be more out there like you're a big game hunter who teamed up with a Miskatonic Expedition at some point in the past. As long as you can justify it I'll allow it. Hell I'm not even opposed to players choosing to be one of the named characters in the inquiry.

And I forgot about the recruitment thread I'll crosspost it into there right now

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I can do this on Sundays. Never played Trail of Cthulhu but I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ah, sorry, I forgot to make my character for this! Uh, are estranged relations to Henry Armitage okay?

Morgan Zacharies-Armitage

Ugh, what does the old man want now? I swear, ever since he retired from Miskatonic he's gotten more and more jumpy. Seems like he calls every week nowadays...

Huh? Oh, the name. Nah, it's nothing like that--he's more like my grand-uncle than my father. Sure, I guess the family name helped me get into the FBI after the Great War, but it's not like I think I owe him or something. I'm just...between assignments, that's all. Got some time to make sure he doesn't keep harassing grand-dad with frightened telephone calls. The old man's gonna give MY old man a heart attack, swear to God...

(Athletics, Cop Talk, Driving, Evidence Collection, Firearms, Interrogation, Law, Assess Honesty, Sense Trouble)
Drive: In the Blood

Investigative Abilities (16/16) (Bold = occupational)

Accounting 1
Cryptography 1
Law 1
Occult 1

Assess Honesty 3
Bargain 1
Bureaucracy 1
Cop Talk 3
Credit Rating 3 free
Interrogation 1
Intimidation 1
Reassurance 1

Evidence Collection 2
Forensics 2
Locksmith 1
Photography 1

General Abilities (65/65) (Bold = occupational)

Athletics 8
Conceal 4
Driving 8
*Electrical Repair 2
*Explosives 2
Firearms 8
First Aid 4
Health 1 free + 8 = 9
Preparedness 4
Sanity 4 free + 2 = 6 (Pillars: The Law is sacrosanct; the old man is just barking at shadows)
Scuffling 4
Sense Trouble 8
Shadowing 7
Stability 1 free + 8 = 9

• Locked thread