Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Going to Porto and Libson from the 21st of June to the 29th, splitting time evenly between both places. It's my first time going to Portugal, and actually my first time in Europe. I know there is a festival going on in Porto (Sao Joao) but not sure what else I should check out while I'm there. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Visit Sintra. Head out to Cascais and hike along the coastline. Eat tarts from Pasteis De Belem. Do a port wine tasting. Eat a francesinha and regret it for the rest of the day.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Haven’t been to Porto but Lisbon is loving awesome. The castle has an incredible view, the TimeOut indoor food market near the water is brilliant and there’s an amazing bar on the top floor of a car park that plays great music and is good for drinking.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Porto is loving beautiful, PT reminded me of California. Mountains, ocean and forest fires. Their cafe culture was a little too much for me, I couldn't find anywhere to buy a loose cold beer.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I loving love Lisbon. It's an almost impossibly charming city, in a very quiet way. There's a lot to do in the immediate region too, like Sintra and Setubal and Cascais. Lisbon is an ideal place for an insomniac who likes to go for hours-long walks in the middle of the night. In fact, the only better city I've ever visited as a flâneur has been Istanbul.

Haven't been to Porto, so can't help you there. I go to the Azores most years, and would highly recommend a first trip to Sao Miguel. Portugal is just a cool country to visit. Cheap, unpretentious, easy.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Just spent a week in Porto and Lisbon in December. Some of my favorite things:

I stayed at Yes Hostel in Porto, and Home Lisbon, which were both amazing, community oriented hostels. They do a 3-course meal (10 euros) and bar crawl (10 euros) which is great for meeting people.

The best part of Portugal is just getting lost in the beauty of it all. And the pastries. Some of the best pastries and espresso in the world. Natas, chocolate salami, bola de berlim, etc. etc.

Porto:
Go for a port wine tour in Gaia, available through hostels.
Walk along the Ribiera, but know that most of the restaurants around here are tourist traps.

Get a francesinha from basically anywhere. Cafe Santiago’s is one of the most famous.
Casa Guesdes is famous for their pernil and cheese sandwich.
Matesinshos - famous fisherman village with a beautiful boardwalk along the water. For lunch and dinner, they catch fresh fresh and grill them outside the restaurants.

Lisbon:
Alfama District
Rossio Square for Ginjinha.
For nightlife just get lost in the Bairro Alto.
Cervejaria Ramiro for seafood, Principe do calhariz for traditional food.

Belem is only 15 minutes away by uber or by public transport and is worth going for the world-famous pastel de belem, as well as walking along the water to see the monuments.

Daytrip to Sintra
Visit the piraquitas for their famous pastries only in Sintra - pastel de sintra, queijadas de sintra.
Quinta da Regaleira is most worth a tour here.
It's also just fun hiking around the city center and up to the Moors castle.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Make sure to go watch a football match with some of our lovely friendly ultras.(note:dont actually do this).

For lisbon: go out at night to cais do sodré and bairro alto,find the erasmus meeting spots and just bar hop.its cool and fun and eclectic and on any given street you will find people from 20 diferent countries and make lots of friends.dont buy weed on the street if some rando aproaches you.its not weed.visit pensao do amor in cais do sodré and pavilhao chines in bairro alto.

Leverage your new friends for a trip to the beach! Cascais has some lovely beaches and you can get there in half an hour by car.train is around 1 hour.
Costa da caparica is on the south side of the tejo river ,30 minute drive also.

If you have your own car,go to arrabida,its 1h away from lisbon, and drive around the mountain where james bond wife was shot.at the base of arrabida are some incredible beaches.be warned,from may to late september its beach season so every beach will be packed,traffic can be...complicated.at weekends its 10x worse.

Most tradional neighborhoods have a diferent vibe wether its day or night,bairro alto and mouraria are great to take a stroll in the afternoon for all the litle artisan shops.

Visit sintra.its a village designed by and for 19th century poets.

Eat fish and seafood,portugal is a country of fisherman.try chouriço and cheese and wine,bifanas is a kind of fried in olive oil pork sandwich and its delicious.

Learn the subway lines.using the subway will get you most places.lisbon is (a) city of seven hills so the subway wont drop you right on the doorstep of some places,but most things are a 10 minute walk from most subway stations.

Being built on hills means we have a ton of lookout points and terraces to watch the sunsets.santiago alquimista is a really cool bar/night club that has one of these terraces on top.chapito is the street performers bar/night club and its also on a open terrace.

Being an old as poo poo country,most museums in portugal focus on stuff from the 12th to the 18th century.for a change of pace try the maat (modern art museum),the electricity museum and the stage coach museum on the tejo waterfront,they are right next to each other.the exibits on the electricity museum are geared towards kids,but includes a visit to the first coal power plant in portugal and that part is cool.

Lets see ,oh ,draft beer is called imperial,but in porto is called fino,snails in portugal are not a delicacy but more like a snack,most wine from wine shops are insanelly overpriced and you can buy the same bottle in a supermarket for a fifth of the price,cops are rarelly dicks but will loving bust you for drunk driving.
Smooking weed is ok but not buying/selling,everything in the city center is a tourist trap,pissing at the corner of buildings is reserved for natives only,most restaurants have lunch menus and if you are paying more than 12 euros for one of those you're being ripped off."filho da puta" is our (literal)son of a bitch,gently caress is "fodasse", poo poo is " merda","cabrao" is our cuck.liberal use of all 4 is highly recomended.

Edit:oh,download an app called "agenda viral" it basically shows you everything thats happening around the city,also check the timeout website for stuff.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 2, 2018

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Help! - I'll be in Lisbon this coming week (15-21st).

I've been there once before for a conference with one free day. I planned this trip given expected decent-ish weather, but the storms across Europe are making it look very rainy and unpleasant.

What I liked with my one day free last time was walking around outside (people in the streets, looking at graffiti, talking to people outside bars, etc.). Given that the weather will likely not accommodate, any suggestions on how to spend my time?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Bring an umbrella? Youll be fine,storm felix has moved on.bairro alto and mouraria for walking around,finding nooks and litle shops ateliers,lx factory for a big rear end library inside a old printing press and some ateliers.

If youre feeling brave visit this
https://nit.pt/out-of-town/back-in-town/antigo-restaurante-panoramico-monsanto-vai-funcionar-miradouro

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
This thread has very convenient timing - I'm just starting to research my honeymoon and we'll be heading to Lisbon/Porto/Algarve.

ChainsawCharlie, how easy is it to find restaurants with gluten free food? I'm Coeliac so it's kinda important...

I did see that McDonald's has a sem gluten menu which is loving amazing!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Its super easy.a lot of restaurants have it marked on the menu dishes that contain it. If not ask the waiters. Everyone speaks english.my 70 year old aunt speaks english.my dead gold fish has a ba in english literature.

Might be easier to download an app called zomato and search for no gluten / sem gluten and it should show you a list of restaurants and fast food places that have gluten free dishes on the menu.zomato is really good for finding restaurants in the big cities but absolute poo poo everywhere else.
Mcdonnalds and "joshuas shoarma" are fast food joints that have gluten free menus.

When in lisbon go to gelato davvero and eat some gluten free ice cream,its amazing.
Vegetarian restaurants that i recomend are "jardin dos sentidos" and "terra", they have open buffet menus and lots of good stuff.

Big supermarket chains like " pingo doce","jumbo","lidl" have a bio/natural section that have gluten free snacks, but on every package there should be a big rear end warning stating if something has gluten on it.theres also specialty franchises like "celeiro" that sell healthy/no gluten food.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
That's awesome! Glad to see there's lots of options :)

Obrigado!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I take offense in the thread tag and the Lisbon misspelling, you can do better

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Pfffftttt look at this guy spelling things right,thats a very unportuguaise aktitude

Anyways, transient,hope you have fun in libson this week.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 15, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was just in Lisbon, it was awesome. I stayed at a hotel next to the Alameda metro station as it's bit cheaper than the city center (Rossio, Baixa-Chiado, Cais de Sodre stations) and only ten minutes north. The metro is great and really easy to use. What I liked the best:

Castelo de Sao Jorge - quite a walk to get up there but gives amazing view of the city and Mediterranean (see attached image)

Sintra - highlight was Quinta de Regaleira

Lisbon is known for its street art, and there are websites/apps to find it all if you're really interested

Santa Justa Elevator

Comercio Plaza

Just about everyone speaks English

There's a place that literally sells nothing but port wine that I went to:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...34!4d-9.1441561

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just a correction, that's the Tagus river (that flows into the Atlantic), the Mediterranean can only be seen from Algarve (and I think it's already the Atlantic there as well) :) I'm happy that you enjoyed it, feel free to come back!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
People going to Sintra should really check out the actual forest surrounding it. Unique forestral flora which you won’t find in many other places due to the cool microclimate. It’s a relict of sorts, with vegetation types since long gone in the rest of the country. Also nice to see a Portuguese forest that isn’t a even-aged pine/eucalyptus monoculture. Or a burnt husk. More worth it than the actual palaces imo, but then again I’m a biology student so take that bias into account.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 7, 2018

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

While this is all true, the best thing about sintra is a pastry called queijadas, made of beans,and its loving delicious.ima fat,hungry bastard though,so take that bias into acount.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

We spent part of our honeymoon in Lisbon in January and loved every minute. One piece of advice - Lisbon is incredibly hilly, and if your feet/legs aren’t ready for it then you’ll be reminded of that in a few days. Learning the tram lines helps, most of the time it’s likely there’s a funicular or tram nearby that will minimize the amount of time you spend walking uphill.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, seriously, learn and use the subway,electric trams and funiculars in lisbon. If you're gonna walk,walk down hill,stopping at various bars and wineries to rest.and please dont use ubers and support the douche economy tia.

If you are looking for a change of pace and just want to relax on the beach and eat the best seafood, go to southwest alentejano, a 100 km natural park and reserve with hidden beaches, nature trails, and seaside villages. Its pretty great in the summer.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Just got back from Lisbon and will also echo the sentiment that it was awesome.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
I went to Lisbon a few years ago -- it turned out to be be one of my favorite places I've ever been.

I highly recommend visiting the Castelo de Sao Jorge. Beautiful views of the city. There are a few little stands that sell wine, so definitely get a glass, sit down, and take in the view. I had some kind of cherry wine or something - I don't remember what it was called and it's not something I would have normally ever even tried, but it ended being perfect for the situation. I also liked exploring the castle itself up there.

Another major attraction I recommend is the tower of Belem. It's not too far from the maritime museum and Jeronimos Monastery which aren't bad, either, if you like museums.

There are a bunch of cafes that sell pastries and juices, absolutely delicious. Just point to what you want to try.

As has been mentioned, the city is very hilly, so be prepared for that if you're not used to walking.

On a somewhat related note, I'm going to assume this is the Portugal thread in general. I'm headed to Madeira for a couple days soon, and I've never been there before. I'll be staying in Funchal. Does anyone have must-see/must-do/must-eat/must-drink suggestions?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

FPS_Sage posted:

On a somewhat related note, I'm going to assume this is the Portugal thread in general. I'm headed to Madeira for a couple days soon, and I've never been there before. I'll be staying in Funchal. Does anyone have must-see/must-do/must-eat/must-drink suggestions?

Some top of the head suggestions:
- You can take the cable car to the top of the mountain and visit Monte Palace gardens
- You can then take the Toboggan Downhill Basket ride (that's how google translated it) to go back to Funchal, if you're into that kind of things
- You can visit the levadas, although you either should take the lower difficulty ones, or have a touring guide
- You can visit Véu da Noiva and Cabo Girão for beautiful views

To eat (which can arguably be the best part of the visit) you must try lapas, bolo do caco, espetada and black scabbardfish. To drink, you should try the poncha, which is a local drink, although I'm not a great fan of it.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

FPS_Sage posted:

How long are you going to be in Madeira and what are you into? If you're only there for a few days, Funchal is pretty walkable, so I'd almost recommend not renting a car. I did (for the duration of the trip) and I sort of regret it. If there's anything you want to see outside of the city, either rent a car for the day or maybe hire a car to take you.

Also seconding the food/drink recommendations by the poster above me.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva

Dogbrisket posted:

How long are you going to be in Madeira and what are you into? If you're only there for a few days, Funchal is pretty walkable, so I'd almost recommend not renting a car. I did (for the duration of the trip) and I sort of regret it. If there's anything you want to see outside of the city, either rent a car for the day or maybe hire a car to take you.

Also seconding the food/drink recommendations by the poster above me.

Unfortunately I've only got 2 days to be there, trying to squeeze it between work responsibilities. I'm glad to hear Funchal is walkable, I wasn't planning on a renting a car anyway.

The cable car ride sounds great, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the local cuisine options Camoes mentioned.

I really like wine, and since Madeira is relatively unique, I'd be super interested in trying out any wine tasting places or even a vineyard tour if you know of any good ones?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Make sure you get a selfie with the Ronaldo bust at the airport

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

A wine and food tour will cost you 50 euros, instead go to the farmers market and "armazem do mercado", a cool cafe/wine shop.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

FPS_Sage posted:

Unfortunately I've only got 2 days to be there, trying to squeeze it between work responsibilities. I'm glad to hear Funchal is walkable, I wasn't planning on a renting a car anyway.

The cable car ride sounds great, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the local cuisine options Camoes mentioned.

I really like wine, and since Madeira is relatively unique, I'd be super interested in trying out any wine tasting places or even a vineyard tour if you know of any good ones?

I was there during the Flower Festival and H&H had a booth set up selling very low cost samples. GF is mad we didn't bring more back in the suitcase. It seemed to be pretty good, but they're out in Camara De Lobos (maybe take a taxi out there?). Also Blandy's is right in the middle of Funchal, so that might be easiest.

Also for food, Restaurant Dos Combatentes is right by Blandy's (they're on opposite ends of the municipal garden) and serves fairly good food in an unpretentious manner. The prices are fair too. Steven Hawking ate there once!

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Óbidos is an hour away from lisbon and has a beautiful castle and ginjinha which is a drink made from sour cherries, anyone close to lisbon should visit there!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Obidos is really lovelly, and as really nice litle villages that you can explore around it, or do a quick hop to some good beaches.you can buy ginginha loving everywhere in portugal though, i really do recomended it. Actually, when in portugal try port wine,ginginha and moscatel (a kind of sweet wine).
Obidos as a huge medieval festival from 12th july until the 5th of august that is amazing. It also quadruples the population of the town overnight.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm going to Porto and Lisbon from the 26th of September to 6th of October and this thread has some great ideas I'm definitely gonna look in to. Thanks thread.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Have fun karms, the 28th is researchers european night, a yearly event where natural history museums and universities open until midnight and have a bunch of shows,astronomy observations,activities etc.its a really fun and free.the gulbenkian foundation is also organising the young musicians contest, a orchestra based contest for young virtuosos.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MBM do you have a twitter account

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Not to highjack the thread but I was thinking of a warmer (+10 degrees) European trip in January and was considering Lisbon.

Sorta kinda doubting between Lisbon, Athens, Sicily, the Canary Islands or other options with a <5hour flight time (Israel?)

Is Lisbon nice?
How are other options in comparison?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I'm hijacking this thread lol

Going to be in Lisbon for about 6 days, looking for a good mix of historical stuff, awesome food and relaxing. Want to do a day trip to Sintra but I'm afraid I won't be able to do everything I want to do there in one day. Also, what kind of weather kan I expect in late November?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

You can stay overnight out at Sintra, might be a better option?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

There will most probably be rain in November. Not great weather for tourist stuff, but doable.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kalenden posted:

Not to highjack the thread but I was thinking of a warmer (+10 degrees) European trip in January and was considering Lisbon.

Sorta kinda doubting between Lisbon, Athens, Sicily, the Canary Islands or other options with a <5hour flight time (Israel?)

Is Lisbon nice?
How are other options in comparison?

Lisbon is probably the cheapest of all those, and I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Good food, nightlife, good views? Lisbon. Pure museum tour? Maybe Athens. Beach? Canaries. Apartheid? Israel.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I’m in Lisbon this week and I’m hoping to go surfing in the weekend. Any tips for a laid back spot / rental place in the general area?

There are so many spots just googling. but I’m nervous not knowing the area. Partly because I don’t know the conditions and partly because I don’t want to end up somewhere with lots of locals angry I don’t know the local rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

For a more laid back spot, go to Costa da Caparica, there's a whole coast but you'll have to see where it's good before choosing a spot.

If you don't mind the risk, Ericeira's The Cave is pretty good, but it's just rock at the bottom, try not to go to the hospital like John John http://www.ericeiramag.pt/en/florence-and-the-cave/

If you want to know real-time conditions before going your best bet is Beachcam https://beachcam.meo.pt/EN/ - you'll want to focus on Praias Almada (south of Lisbon) and Praias Mafra (north of Lisbon, where Ericeira is).

Peniche is a bit more far away but it's just a great spot for hanging out, surfing a bit and then grabbing a few beers. It's where the WSL happens in Portugal.

Locals, with few exceptions, aren't very stupid unless you manage to find a secret spot and go drop in on them. General rules apply here.

E: There's rentals in pretty much all of these spots but check first, google should help you with that.

E2: Changed beachcam to the english version

orange sky fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 24, 2018

• Locked thread