Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I haven't baked bread in years. But I find myself with a lot of free time on my hands and well why not bake some bread?
What's creative about baking bread? Well, maybe you haven't got all the ingredients in a recipe, like for example if it calls for buttermilk, but your buttermilk might be

Ehhhh...

Perhaps you shop like I do and instead of getting the things you need, you buy things that made you go hmm, that sounds interesting and/or tasty instead. Like you might be buying flour and, well,

This is not bread flour.

Maybe you might stick things like olives or nuts or ham or who knows what in your bread, the possibilities are endless!

So this is a thread for baking bread!
Get baking!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Today I made Zopf or Züpfe. I have never made or eaten this bread before. It is from Switzerland. The one recipe from a book I have called for using sour cream, which I didn't have. The other recipe that I found online called for milk, which I also didn't have. But I do have this, which is kind of in between?

So, to begin:

400g of whole wheat flour (all I had) with the bran sifted out with a fine seive, plus 100g of the 7 grain flour from above.

Plus ~12g or two and a bit tsp of salt (my scale doesn't measure that fine)
The salt was ground from flakes in a mortar that previously had salt and dried rosemary in it so bonus flavour!

80g butter, 250ml kefir, 1 egg yolk, 2tsp instant yeast granules, 1 tsp caster sugar

The kefir was warmed in the microwave to about 38C, then the egg, yeast and sugar were whisked in. Transferring to the metal and adding the ingredients and whisking cooled it off some, so I brought it back up to here with a bowl of hot water to make sure the yeast activated

Foamy!

[not pictured]
Make a well in the flour and add the creamy liquid. Start combining by hand to start making a dough.

Add the softened butter and work it through to make a rough dough.

Now we start kneading! The hottest thing since sliced bread is no-knead dough but honestly kneading is the most fun part and quite therapeutic. Why would you want to skip this step?

After about 12 mins of kneading. Recipe called for 15-20 but I was using low gluten flour still with bran bits etc that might cut up the gluten strands or something (I read it somewhere). Also it was smooth and elastic at this point so I figured that's probably fine. Now to put it somewhere warmish to rise.

(it doesn't look it, but it really has doubled in size)

Now to braid it.

Roll it out into two long snakes.

Make a cross

Do this

Then do this

Et voila!

Let it rest 20 minutes, then apply egg wash.

Into a very preheated to 400F Dutch oven, because my actual oven is crap and can't even make decent oven fries, and at least this way the temp will be constant and the moisture will stay in the cavity. Lid on, and back in the oven it goes for ohhhh about 28 minutes.

Waiting for the bread to bake beer.

Looks like bread!

Crumb is pretty dense, which I kind of expected, but has good texture. It's not all big holes like artisanal country sourdoughs and stuff, but it slices easily and makes for nice toast (a lot of those holey breads are kinda crap for toast tbh), and the flavour is great! A little tart from the kefir, with a bit of sweetness in the background.

If I were to make this bread again, I'd use unbleached wheat flour with maybe some spelt flour mixed in. I think the flour mix I used absorbed too much liquid and the dough was a little dry. I think the kefir definitely added a depth of flavour, but also might have made it a bit dense. I might try buttermilk or just a really rich whole milk like Jersey or something if I can get it.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 10, 2020

biosterous

that bread looks tasty! i might also bake a bread (if i do it will be OAT BREAD, which cannot be made without listening to metal and also cannot be written in lower case letters)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Goons Are Gifts

Oh god I love bread of any and all kind, this looks so great!! Gonna eat all of this

Procrastinator

what?

the bread looks very good. i want to see a bread cowboy hat to really live up to this thread name

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

that bread looks tasty! i might also bake a bread (if i do it will be OAT BREAD, which cannot be made without listening to metal and also cannot be written in lower case letters)

I think you also have to say it in death metal voice like OAT BREAD. OOOOOAT BROOOOOOD.

biosterous

you are absolutely correct about that!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nut

Procrastinator posted:

the bread looks very good. i want to see a bread cowboy hat to really live up to this thread name

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
is culturing my own yeast worth it? i've got agar powder.

crimes

Finger Prince

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is culturing my own yeast worth it? i've got agar powder.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's some Uber-pro tier poo poo. Wild yeasts are wildly inconsistent. Or you just mean planting some fleishmans in the agar and scraping off what you need when you need it?

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

to truly master the loaf, you must tame the wild yeast

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Finger Prince

I have quantified the preferred bread toppings so far with my bread. Toasted with peanut butter is like a 1 or 0.5. Makes a sticky dry mouthful. Toasted with butter, not bad, like 2.5-3.0. Untoasted with butter and a few salt flakes sprinkled on, with soup, that's a 3.5-4 easy. Like a pre-dinner restaurant bread you mindlessly butter and shove into your face while you wait for your real food. Toasted with butter and peach jam is like 4.5 and really good. This bread likes juicy toppings.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is very timely. I am on day 10 of my sourdough starter and I am very excited to start baking with it in the next few days.

For those of you who are scared of baking, try this as a first bread recipe. It's America's Test Kitchen Irish Soda bread. Doesn't require kneading, yeast, rising, a mixer, or any of the intimidating parts of bread making.
https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-skillet-soda-bread

Finger Prince

canyoneer posted:

This is very timely. I am on day 10 of my sourdough starter and I am very excited to start baking with it in the next few days.

For those of you who are scared of baking, try this as a first bread recipe. It's America's Test Kitchen Irish Soda bread. Doesn't require kneading, yeast, rising, a mixer, or any of the intimidating parts of bread making.
https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-skillet-soda-bread

I was going to do a soda bread, but my recipe called for buttermilk and mine was way out of date. (I still might on the weekend again or Monday).

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

I was going to do a soda bread, but my recipe called for buttermilk and mine was way out of date. (I still might on the weekend again or Monday).

if you have regular fresh milk, just throw a teaspoon of something acidic (vinegar or lemon juice) into it and boom, instant buttermilk. what you're looking for is the acid and the fat.

Finger Prince

Kief Richards posted:

if you have regular fresh milk, just throw a teaspoon of something acidic (vinegar or lemon juice) into it and boom, instant buttermilk. what you're looking for is the acid and the fat.

I don't have milk, as a rule. Have to get it special. I use oat milk in tea and kefir (or oat milk if I run out of kefir) for granola, and don't really use actual milk for anything else. The buttermilk I had is hoity-toity cultured stuff. Might as well get fancy if I'm going to get something as a one-off.

Finger Prince

Update: my bread is dead. It has turned into a solid unrecoverable brick.

I will try again, this time making a more normal bread with normal flour and normal ingredients in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Bread Dead Redemption II:
Olive Bread

This time I went and bought some proper bread flour. It's not as branny as whole wheat, but it's still a bit branny.

1.5 tsp instant yeast

Add 325g flour and 1tsp salt (recipe called for 275g white flour and 50g whole wheat, but this flour is pretty whole wheaty)

Add about a cup of tepid water and 1tbsp of olive oil and make a dough.

Knead for 10 minutes and put in an oiled bowl to rise for about an hour.

In the mean time, ~1 cup of delicious olives. Try not to eat them all when pitting them. At least you can nibble the leftover meat off the pits.

Roughly chopped. Added a bit of ground up dried rosemary. Also added a small handful of pumpkin seeds (not pictured)

He Is Risen! (already looking better than the last loaf)

Knocked back and olives and seeds kneaded through for about 5 minutes

Make a blurry load shape, cut some slits in it, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Cover it with some oiled plastic wrap and put it somewhere warm to rise

Ready for the oven! (after about 25-30 minutes of sitting on the oven top)

Baked for 35 minutes in the Dutch oven at 400F. Splashed a little water in the bottom to make steam before putting the bread in and lid on. Kinda rose sideways more than it rose up.

Made a light and airy, moist crumb, would be really good for sandwiches (just not square ones). Much tastier than my previous effort tbh. I hope this one doesn't turn into an inedible brick! I'll probably eat it all before it has a chance.