Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
The latest video is December 25th: Happy Xmas (Blue Stinger is Over)!

Ongoing contests:(Click a contest for a link to details and rules)

Let's celebrate the holiday season together with a Let's Play Christmas special! Start by clicking on this recommended listening, courtesy of Geop:

Blue Stinger was a launch title for the Sega Dreamcast in 1999, alongside better games like Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and NFL Blitz 2000. It was developed by Climax Graphics, who later changed their name to Crazy Games, presumably in an attempt to make people forget that they made Blue Stinger when they developed their next game, Illbleed. Blue Stinger has the interesting distinction in that it was actually released on August 30, 1999. This means you could go to a store, buy Blue Stinger, and then go home and look at it for a week and a half while you waited for the Dreamcast itself to launch.

Click for big. Seriously, do it. Read that garbage.

It's a live-commentary blind-run marathon-style extravaganza! Before the LP Panzer had never seen any of the game past Hello Market and I had never seen anything past the first boss. To mitigate our getting lost in the labyrinthine hellhole that is Dinosaur Island, we've got one of the worst-written walkthroughs available on the internet today.

Panzer and I both knew if we didn't play through the whole game in one go, this LP wasn't going to happen. The initial idea was to play through the whole game in one sitting, although at around 3AM we decided to move the goalposts, get a few hours of sleep, and pick up in the morning. The result? Over 10 hours of video recorded in less than a 24-hour period.

We're posting a new video every day until Christmas! We've got a lovely little advent calendar here so you all can follow along as we suffer our way through this horrible game.

... yeah...

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The Swimsuit Competition

tlarn

Rumrusher

DumbRodent

VoidBurger

Bearpigman

Ghostwoods

Captain Fargle

Devious Vacuum

Clayren

Fanart, Photoshops, and Sick Gifs

Shlapintogan

azren

sulphagne

Mjolna

Malachi Constant

VoidBurger

Grancheater

DurpTwoTwo

Bearpigman

D_W

Great Joe

The Heavenator

Tuxedo Ted

Ohmygodsquad

Akratic Method

Color Printer

yokaiy

Rumrusher

And finally, TapamN ripped a whole bunch of textures from the game disc itself for us to gawk at!
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 27, 2014

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Let's get this thing started!

December 1st: I'm Dreaming of a Blue Christmas

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is the worst/best Christmas ever.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
The second day of the advent calendar links to the first video, not the first day.

I've always wondered what Shinya Nishigaki's first game was like. Very well, I shall learn.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I once saw this game sitting in the used games section at a local game store. That store recently went out of business and I think Blue Stinger is the only Dreamcast game it ever carried. I decided to buy it purely for the novelty of it being a Dreamcast game on store shelves in 2005. It was only €5 anyway, so it wouldn't be that big of a loss...

I want my five euros back. :(

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Well, I know Christmas isn't for a while, but here, Panzer, your gift came early.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The dialogue in this game seems to have been written by someone mildly concussed. Like, it makes sense on a surface level, but deep down it's all broken and wrong.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
After reading the back of the box, there's no way this game can't be absolutely loving glorious. A game starring DOGS BOWER can't possibly not be.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 1, 2014

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

GVOLTT posted:

The second day of the advent calendar links to the first video, not the first day.

Oh god first day in and I've already hosed it. Fixed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

He's trapped on an island with monsters, his best friend is probably dead, everyone thinks he's a fuckup and he's seeing glowing blue women flying around but he still has time to call dibs on a woman he's never met.

Can we play as Jeanine instead?

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Was talking to a friend about this after seeing the teaser. Her description included "The localization teams changed the camera from static to behind the player." and I don't think I could have been more excited to see an LP.

....wait a minute, does the pistol on the cover have two triggers?

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
75 items including security cards!? That's unheard of!

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Ah, this game. *Looks over at the shelf* I've had this game for over a decade. It is in fact quite awful. However I rather like it in a so-bad-it's-good manner. Dogs is too good of a character to be stuck in a game this bad.

And yes as I told me friend Mjolna up there and as the back of the box mentions, the US version has the camera follow the player-character of the moment whereas in Japan they utilized a fixed camera position system as in say, Resident Evil. The reason for this is that the game is billed as a horror game even though it fails at concepts of horror so thoroughly I didn't even know it was -supposed- to be a horror game until years after I'd played it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Should I have taken it as an omen that my computer poo poo itself at least five times trying to play this goddamn video?

Shlapintogan posted:

Well, I know Christmas isn't for a while, but here, Panzer, your gift came early.

Well, sometimes Advent stuff has a small gift every day, so...

Striking Yak posted:

Yeah, some of the "selling points" on the back are hilarious. Anything resorting to effectively telling you how many rooms are in the game on the back of the loving box probably has some serious issues.

Dogs' reaction of "A woman?" made me think of something. (Totally good at using not-photoshop, guys! :downs:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

azren fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 1, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Can I just give some love from the fully animated bullet shell casing multi-bounce after every single shot? Because I'm never going to unnotice it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vicas posted:

Can I just give some love from the fully animated bullet shell casing multi-bounce after every single shot? Because I'm never going to unnotice it

I also love that the sound they make when they hit the floor is louder than the sound of the gun being fired.

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The animation for not having a keycard cracked me up. It works as a reaction to ... well, everything about this game thus far:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I love this. I love you guys.

This game is so terribly awful it deserves this LP.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am so excited for this one, its quite a game. Crazy in that old SEGA way that just leaves you constantly shaking your head. Plus its a Christmas themed horror game, this is gonna be great.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
This LP is going to be amazing.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The dialogue in this game seems to have been written by someone mildly concussed. Like, it makes sense on a surface level, but deep down it's all broken and wrong.
If it's anything like Illbleed, the Japanese version has the same English voice acting as the American version. In fact, I'm almost certain not a single native English speaker looked at the script before it went out to the actors. This becomes incredibly obvious in a few videos.

Striking Yak posted:

My one regret for this LP is I didn't look at my inventory at the end of the game and look through the mountain of bullshit we accumulated over the course of the game. We were pretty much ready for the goddamn thing to be over.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

OatmealRaisin posted:

My one regret for this LP is I didn't look at my inventory at the end of the game and look through the mountain of bullshit we accumulated over the course of the game. We were pretty much ready for the goddamn thing to be over.

You lost the save file? I think I'd like to see bullshit mountain

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Shlapintogan posted:

YessSSS thank you so much :cool: his face exploding so stupid always makes me cry laughing

Mjolna posted:

Was talking to a friend about this after seeing the teaser. Her description included "The localization teams changed the camera from static to behind the player." and I don't think I could have been more excited to see an LP.

This is true and might be why the camera system is so slapdash and god awful, though i'm honestly not sure if the game would be any better with a static camera anyway?

sulphagne posted:

The animation for not having a keycard cracked me up. It works as a reaction to ... well, everything about this game thus far:

Eliot is a loving amazing creature and I hope you're ready for the incredible variety of smooth, life-like animations to come.

Poulpe posted:

You lost the save file? I think I'd like to see bullshit mountain

Dont u dare make us turn this game back on, i swear to god

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I'd just like to give some attention to Eliot's run animation. Just look at 'im go.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I got this game with my Dreamcast and even though I beat it more than once (every time you replay the game you unlock some new weapon or gimmick) I remember almost nothing about it, save for the fact that every reaction shot of Dogs seemed to use that one "wipes brow with both forearms" animation regardless of the situation.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Panzer Skank posted:

Dont u dare make us turn this game back on, i swear to god

Are you sure? We could do a bonus video going through all the trash Eliot picked up off the floor like an animal.

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Panzer Skank posted:

This is true and might be why the camera system is so slapdash and god awful, though i'm honestly not sure if the game would be any better with a static camera anyway?

I don't think it would. It'd still be Blue Stinger. But I don't think you'd notice just how awful it looks because it'd be pulled out farther. Truly we are blessed with the better release then

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Oh, Blue Stinger? This is only the dumbest game ever.
I don't even know how to thank you for this.

Merry Christmas. :allears:

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Pictured: Dogs Zapsdower and his plucky sidekick.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
This may not come as a huge surprise, considering how small the voice acting pool in video games generally is, but I thought Eliot sounded awful familiar. I looked it up, he's voiced by Ryan Drummond. You know who else Ryan Drummond voiced??

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Metroixer posted:

This may not come as a huge surprise, considering how small the voice acting pool in video games generally is, but I thought Eliot sounded awful familiar. I looked it up, he's voiced by Ryan Drummond. You know who else Ryan Drummond voiced??

I think this actually becomes a conversation point sometime very late into the night

OatmealRaisin posted:

Are you sure? We could do a bonus video going through all the trash Eliot picked up off the floor like an animal.

Blood pours out of my ears

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

If it's anything like Illbleed, the Japanese version has the same English voice acting as the American version.

Illbleed is a fascinating wreck, so I am ready to see what wonders Blue Stinger's writing/acting hold. Speaking of which, the voice of Jeanine, Lani Minella, is also the voice of Illbleed's Eriko Christy!

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
And Dogs is Robotnik.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
This was the only game I could play on my new Dreamcast for close to 6 months. I adored it. Beat it multiple times. I was a dumbass when I was younger.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I love Captain Jorts and I also hope the game continues introducing new characters by having them save all the old characters.

Except Tim, rip in peace Tim

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

dismas posted:

I love Captain Jorts and I also hope the game continues introducing new characters by having them save all the old characters.

Except Tim, rip in peace Tim

Tim is what? Dead?!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
gently caress Tim. Dude conned Eliot into going out on a borrowed boat so he would be forced to help his dumb rear end decorate it for Christmas all night.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

OatmealRaisin posted:

gently caress Tim. Dude conned Eliot into going out on a borrowed boat so he would be forced to help his dumb rear end decorate it for Christmas all night.

And now his boat's gotten blown the gently caress up. Merry loving Christmas, shithead.

EDIT: Can I just say that the soundtrack as Eliot drowns and the shot of the island comes up is hilariously overdramatic, at least in relation to everything else so far? Because it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
All I want for Christmas is my sea legs. These ones get all weird when I'm sitting on a boat.

• Locked thread