Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
War. War never changes.

In the late years of the 21st century, the world was torn apart by the ever-growing need for energy and resources. This desire grew into the dawn of war, and escalated further and further until, on October 23rd, 2077, every empire on Earth was silenced in a rain of atomic ordinance. In the old United States of America, a select few survived the holocaust in underground Vaults. By the year 2250, the survivors of these Vaults, and those who endured in the harsh world outside, would come together to form new nations and creeds to help preserve a sense of order and balance. Other groups would try to destroy these bonds, through anarchy and bloodshed.

Originally guided by the salvation of technology, the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel controlled what once was the Great Midwest Commonwealth with an iron fist, a reign stirred by corruption, lust for power, and a perverted Codex. Most who refused annexation were executed, and those who refused attempted to flee to the prior state of Minnesota.

Those escaping were met with a wall of ice and sleet, a miniature nuclear winter caused by the four salvos of nuclear weapons launched towards the Global City of Minneapolis, creating a land where nothing grew, and few lived. The persistent frozen landscape earned the land a moniker: the Dead State.

Two years ago, the Dead State changed. Soil warmed, lakes defrosted, plants grew, fauna awakened, and the blizzards and storms began to weaken, all without a reason. The news of the Dead State coming alive again was spread in hushed whispers at first, soon growing louder, until the entire Midwestern region, lands under Brotherhood control and those free from their tyranny, became aware of the new frontier. Expedition parties were formed. Caravans went further than the previously accepted norm of Interstate 90 and the small trading hub of Vault 23. Those few that still survived in the ruins of cities scavenging, or still trying to make a living in what once was a frozen wasteland, either welcomed the newcomers with open arms, or under a hail of gunfire.

You are a traveler, a pilgrim, a mercenary, or a wanderer, answering to the siren call of the newly-woken Dead State. There is now way of knowing what you'll find - friend or foe, treasures or waste, life or death. You don't know if it's better from where you come from. You only have the clothes on your back and whatever you can carry, all differing in races, creeds, tactics and knowledge, with only one thing in common;

Hope.

---

Let’s play Minnesotan Fallout in GURPS over IRC! Minnesota because there hasn’t been a Fallout work set in a primarily wintery environment, GURPS because the system works well for this setting, along with other stuff, and IRC so I don’t have to make maps for every place and so I don’t have to do Minnesotan accents over VOIP!

I’m looking for 3-5 players, though I’m not really looking for any sort of specific roles or character types. Since GURPS lets you make pretty much any character you want, I’m open to whatever people come up with. You can be a Mr. Handy, an intelligent Centaur, a brain in a jar, or really anything that would fit well with the setting. You have 125 points to work with, with a 60 point Disadvantage limit. You’re free to use any Advantages, Disadvantages, equipment etc. from other GURPS 4e books, along with the GURPS Fallout Compilation (which gives templates for Super Mutants and Ghouls, among other things.) However, please use common sense when choosing Supernatural and Exotic Advantages, Disadvantages, and gear! For example, overtly supernatural things like Magery, Destiny, Permeation, and Clairsentience would be right out, while something like Precognition might be allowed if you fluff it right, like being a Psyker, or something like Mama Murphy from Fallout 4 or The Forecaster from New Vegas. If you do use character parts from other books, I’d appreciate it if you would say which books they came from at the bottom of your sheet just to help me. I’d also appreciate if your character has never been to Minnesota before – some of the major themes I’m trying to accomplish with this game are exploration, discovery, and the fact that the Dead State is a new frontier for many societies. I’m not too serious about enforcing this, but it’s just something to consider. The deadline for characters is two weeks from now, on Febuary 14th, 2016, around midnight.

In addition to your character sheet, there’s two questions I’d like for you to answer:

Why did you come to the Dead State?
What’s one rumor or legend you’ve heard about the Dead State?

I’d also like you to post what times you’re able to log onto IRC to play, or if you’d prefer Skype, Discord, or some other chat program. I’m open all days on Saturday and Sunday mid-morning to early evenings. I’m in the Central time zone, for reference. This will not affect your probability of being chosen to play! It just helps me know what times to work around.

Sessions will be 1 pm every Sunday.

The IRC for this game is #dead_state, found on SynIRC.

Some other bullet points about the game:
  • The Fallout pre-War world is TL7+3. Post-War America is TL5+1.
  • At the risk of outing myself, I am very new to GURPS. I have been listened to some examples of play on podcasts, so I like to think I have a good knowledge of how the game plays, but my GMing might be a little rough. Any and all help and advice would be appreciated!
  • We’ll be using the ‘Shooting Made Easy’ ruleset from GURPS Action: Exploits (page 36) for combat. If you have any other errata to suggest, tell me through e-mail or IRC.
  • This game will take place in 2250. For reference, Fallout: Tactics starts 53 years earlier, in 2197, and Fallout 2 begins 9 years earlier in 2241.
  • I have more than a couple of pages of lore written up for this game. If you need something for reference when you’re apping or if you’re curious, just ask and I'll post or share the relevant information.
  • Official map can be found here. In addition, chitoryu12 created a more detailed map with all of the major locations listed here.
  • I'm aiming for a more sandbox game, though there is a 'main quest', so to speak.
  • The play group will be starting in Vault 23. All you need to know about it right now is that it's a Vault with an experiment based around being paid a wage for work, and is now a trading post at the intersection of Interstate 90 and Interstate 35.
  • Just because, I made a Spotify playlist with fitting vintage songs. I’m fairly proud of it, or at least, as proud as you can be for just looking up terms that relate to what I want + “oldies” or “50s”.
  • You can contact me at kumatonsa@yahoo.com, and on whatever this game’s IRC channel will be when I set it up. I’ll post in this thread when it’s ready.

Happy apping!

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Some handy stuff for the games:

Logs:

Session One: customs - a failed proposal - a guiding hand - don't go to Rochester - the map - the traveler - the tribal - Cole Porter - the gang - the plaza - Cram - Em - restoring America - professor Garrett Williams

Session Two: gun store - Bad News - Paulie - absinthe - the atrium - Far-Go Traders and Hometown - the Minneapolis Hiking Club - the new plan - the business transaction - flares

Session Three: Albert-Lea - on the highway - the traders - souvenirs - Jotunns - robots - what makes a person - sundown - Owatonna - Senior Airman Freddy Bunker - the new group member

Session Four: rough night - bison - vertibird - rations - cookies - bridges - recycling

Session Five: radio - road - snow - bodies - sacs - the soldier - burst - the maggots - the pistol - the molotov cocktail - fire on flesh - Fair - Montauk - Tavern

Session Six: Barbara - MILSURP - a new pistol - Dragon Wasps - Jo - only 19 - mayors - Election Day - riots - Cherrywood Gym - fusion bikes - slavery - Paurs - the plan

Forums user Twibbit made a doc with all of the sessions so far, and will continue to update them as we put them out. Thanks, Twibbit!

Journal

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 8, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm definitely in. I'll get to work on a sheet.

I work late nights, usually around noon to 10:00 PM EST. However, after 5:00 PM I often have freedom to open up slacker tabs at work and I stay awake as late as 3:00 AM EST on work nights.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I've never played GURPS before but I've wanted to play a fallout game for forever. I will try to learn it as best I can.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Unknown Quantity posted:

I've never played GURPS before but I've wanted to play a fallout game for forever. I will try to learn it as best I can.

Same! I am livid with excitement. Are there any GURPS threads we should troll, or character generators out there that are recommended?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Posting interest. I'm decently familiar with GURPS.

What splatbooks can/can't we pull stuff from? High Tech, Ultratech, etc.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

SquadronROE posted:

Same! I am livid with excitement. Are there any GURPS threads we should troll, or character generators out there that are recommended?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's a GURPS thread buried deep within the TradGames forum. Given that there is a GURPS thread tag, though, I'd imagine there would be one deep inside. There's also the GURPS forums on the Steve Jackson Games webpage that you could probably find some helpful information on.
As for character creators, Steve Jackson Games has a Character Builder, though that costs money and, in my experience, is not very user friendly. However, there's a few alternatives, namely GURPS Character Sheet, which is free, and a GURPS Lite character builder webpage, which, even though we're not playing GURPS Lite, is good to check out if you want to play around and see what affects what.

FireSight posted:

What splatbooks can/can't we pull stuff from? High Tech, Ultratech, etc.

High Tech is fine, as well as the Pulp Weapons supplement if you want a better gun list than what the Fallout Compilation and the Core book gives you. As for Ultratech, I probably won't allow the stuff it gives you at Character Generation unless you're using it to make a robot. (Speaking of which, someone made a conversion for GURPS Robots into 4e, which is worth checking out for that.) Splats that are way outside the TL for the game, or stuff that just wouldn't fly in the setting, like Powers, Spaceships, Bio-Tech, and Fantasy are not allowed. Of course, I didn't have the time to read each and every GURPS book in my possession and choose which ones are and aren't allowed, so I'm trusting you guys to make some smart choices.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had to go digging in my bookmarks but the GURPS thread is here.

Any rules for starting wealth? Are bottle caps (or whatever the Dead State uses) just going to be tied to GURPS Dollars from the books?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

Any rules for starting wealth? Are bottle caps (or whatever the Dead State uses) just going to be tied to GURPS Dollars from the books?

Since we have a TL of 5, your starting wealth will be $5,000, but given that the characters will probably be wanderers and pilgrims, you might want to use the Dead Broke (-25 points) to Struggling (-10 points) Wealth modifiers. However, if your character is from a civilized society, such as being from the relatively young NCR, the just-founded Caeser's Legion in Flagstaff, Arizona, or a new society that you create in your profile, you'll likely have the Average (0 Points) modifier. Of course, this is just my suggestion - you're welcome to be a Comfortable or Wealthy caravan boss, trader, or whatever you want to make.
As for your second question, Minnesota/The Dead State uses a mixture of bottle caps and ring pulls, but for simplicity's sake we'll just be using the GURPS dollar to represent any and all currency your character has total.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 31, 2016

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Interested haven't played GURPs before looking over the stuff that has already been posted.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm going to make a very lonely Secutron Friendbot who recently thawed out of the ice. Designed with all the gadgets needed to defend a mans home and family while he is at work, while also keeping the kids and wife entertained and helping out around the house!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So I take with a budget like that even so much as a power armor frame is out of the question. Then again, that opens up more fun options, like an ex or current Raider who hasn't gone _completely_ nuts from drug overuse yet. I'll see what I can find about making stuff. Will definitely have something up by the end of this coming week.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

FireSight posted:

I'm going to make a very lonely Secutron Friendbot who recently thawed out of the ice. Designed with all the gadgets needed to defend a mans home and family while he is at work, while also keeping the kids and wife entertained and helping out around the house!

That sounds great! Securitrons were always my favorite Fallout roboman. Plus, I really like what Fallout 4 did, where someone from before the War reacts to their post-War surroundings, so I'm really looking forward to seeing your sheet.

Unknown Quantity posted:

So I take with a budget like that even so much as a power armor frame is out of the question. Then again, that opens up more fun options, like an ex or current Raider who hasn't gone _completely_ nuts from drug overuse yet. I'll see what I can find about making stuff. Will definitely have something up by the end of this coming week.

Yeah, it is going to be a relatively low-power game starting out. Then again, the Dead State has been relatively preserved by the blizzards, so you might just come across something better than a power armor frame soon! That ex-raider idea you have does sound interesting, too. Might provide some interesting group friction.

Speaking of the setting of the game, I just finished the official map!
Presented in all of it's bandwidth-shattering glory here.
It's fairly bare-bones right now, with only the major settlements being listed. I'm trying to keep it relatively simple, since I'm looking forward to what you guys come up with and how you guys fill it in with your profiles. The only thing to note on it are the Trinity, three radioactive craters near the mid-southwest portion - they're there because literally the only thing about Minnesota in the Fallout canon (or, at least, the only thing on the Fallout wiki about it) is that the Fallout: Tactics map shows three craters around the Twin Cities metroplex. If you do want a quick information post about any of the locations listed, though, feel free to ask.
If you want a more detailed map, with roads and other towns, there's a National Atlas map available on Wikimedia Commons. Plus, there's always Google Maps!

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Thinking of making a sad loser character. Like Travis, or a LISA character.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My current concept is a wandering medic. Think Ellie from The Last of Us after Joel dies and she has to go off on her own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's my sheet as it currently stands. The 2 quart canteen is a real canteen invented during the Vietnam War. I just doubled the price and weight of the GURPS High Tech canteen to reflect the doubled size. The first aid kit is currently left generic unless you want me to detail it.

Lucy Setters

Lucy’s a drifter, just like her daddy raised her to be. She was born somewhere out east on the road to a mother who died in childbirth. Her father raised her all by himself, never having a permanent home or explaining who her mother was to the child. She learned the basics of making a shelter and cooking meat over a fire shortly after she learned how to speak in full sentences, and fired a duct-taped air gun for the first time a few years after that. She was never an eagle eye, but she knew how to use the thing. Lucy and Mark stayed together through thick and thin for 20 years, never far apart from one another and often the only companion of the other.

Unfortunately for Lucy, her dad just didn’t have that much exploring left in him. When Lucy turned 20, Mark Setters was already 67 years old. One day in the cold winter, the old bear went to sleep and never woke back up. His daughter had to dig the grave herself.

Left on her own, Lucy tried to settle down. She landed herself in the former Springfield, Illinois and got herself a job helping the town doctor. She knew a little about first aid, but learned a hell of a lot more under the tutelage of a proper doctor. She eventually become “Doctor Junior”, working in her boss’s stead when he had other business or got ironically ill.

But something always felt wrong. She stayed in that place for a few years, but kept feeling a nagging urge to walk away. No particular reason for it, other than “This is what I’ve always done.” Walking the road and camping under the stars felt comfortable to her. And so, the night before her 26th birthday, Lucy left a hasty note and disappeared.

She’s been like that for a few years now. As far as she can see, Vault 23 is just the latest in a long line of stops before she finds a new place to go. It would take something interesting to get her attention…

Why did you come to the Dead State?
"Honestly? It was there. I haven't been there yet, and I was already on part of the Big 90 so I figured I may as well keep walking west. They did that before, right? People walked west?"

What’s one rumor or legend you’ve heard about the Dead State?
"Don't quote me on this, but I hear there's a gang of tech-heads in The Twins that can program themselves. You know, plug a chip in their head and turn themselves into marksmen or doctors or whatever. I don't get how that works, though. Wouldn't your brain get too full at some point? Wouldn't you have to give up something eventually to make room?"

--------------
Lucy is a blonde of average height and muscular, squared-off build. She keeps her hair short, making it easy to deal with. Her green eyes often seem very tired, regardless of how awake she’s feeling, and are framed by freckles. The years of hard living have left her with various aches and pains in her joints despite her relative youth.

She dresses warmly and conservatively, in a faded green military jacket over a black sweater and stained white tank top, complemented by black cargo pants. Along with her old backpack, she wears a belt pouch full of first aid gear for immediate access. She wears a homemade cloth chest rig with her Mini-14 magazines and some small gear.

quote:

Lucy Setters
29 years old
5'6
160 lbs

21 points remaining

ST 10 [0]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 12 [20]

HP 12 [4]
FP 12 [0]
Per 13 [0]
Will 13 [0]

Thrust: 1d-2
Swing: 1d
Basic Lift: 20 lbs
Basic Speed: 6.00
Basic Move: 6
Water Move: 1
Dodge: 9

Average Appearance
Struggling Wealth (Starting Wealth $2500) [-10]
English [Native, Literate]

Advantages
Combat Reflexes [15]
Fit [5]
High Manual Dexterity +1 [5]
High TL 1 [5]

Disadvantages
Chronic Pain (Mild, 2 hours, roll of 9 or less) [-5]
Curious [-5]
Easy to Read [-10]
Flashbacks (Mild) [-5]
Hard of Hearing [-10]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Nightmares [-5]

Quirks
Uncomfortable sleeping in a real bed [-1]
Compulsive Wanderlust [-1]

Skills
Armoury (Small Arms)/TL 7 (IQ/Average) 14 [4]
First Aid (IQ/Easy) 15 [4]
Guns (Rifle)/TL 7 (DX/Easy) 14 [4]
Hiking (HT/Average) 13 [4]
Surgery (IQ/Very Hard) 12 [4]
Survival (Woodlands) (Per/Average) 15 [8]

Weapons
Bullpup .50 AE Pistol
Damage: 4d pi+
Accuracy: 2
Range: 220/2500
RoF: 3
Shots: 7+1 (3)
Weight: 3.7/0.4
Strength: 12
Bulk: -4
Recoil: 4
Cost: $2500/$45
Current Ammo Count: 7

Ruger Mini-14 (5.56x45mm)
Fitted with a folding stock ($100, 0.5 lbs added to total)
Fitted with a scope

Damage: 5d pi
Accuracy: 5
Range: 500/3200
RoF: 3
Shots: 30+1 (3)
Weight: 8/1.3
Strength: 8
Bulk: -5
Recoil: 2
Cost: $1510/$28
Current Ammo Count: 27

Survival Knife
Damage: sw-2 cut or thr imp
Reach: C, 1 or C
Parry: -1
Cost: $45
Weight: 1
Strength: 6

Armor
Boots
DR: 2*
Cost: $80
Weight: 3
+1 to kicking damage

Equipment
Leather belt ($10)
Leather scabbard for knife (included in weight and cost for knife)
USGI 2 quart canteen ($10) (6 lbs)
Holster for Bullpup Pistol ($50) (2 lbs)

9 lbs on belt

Homemade chest rig ($30) (2 lbs)
3 30-round magazines for Mini-14 ($87) (3.9 lbs)
150 rounds of 5.56x45mm ball ammo in clips ($75) (4.05 lbs)
20 rounds of .50 AE ball ammo ($10) (1.34 lbs)
Stripper clip guide ($9)
TL5 multi-function knife ($25)
Tennis ball ($2) (0.1 lb)
10.39 lbs on chest

Small backpack ($60) (3 lbs)
Gun cleaning kit ($25) (0.5 lbs)
Blanket ($20) (4 lbs)
Flint and steel ($5)
Compass ($25)
Sewing kit ($1)
Suturing kit ($20) (1 lb)
5 wounds’ worth of bandages ($5) (0.5 lbs)
1 week supply of jerky ($42) (5.25 lbs)
3 day supply of Cram ($75) (9 lbs)
23.25 lbs on back

Buttpack ($10) (1 lb)
First Aid Kit ($50) (2 lbs)
3 lbs in buttpack

Total cost of equipment: $2225
Total weight of equipment: 48.94 lbs

$165 in spending money

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 26, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

Lucy Setters

I like the app, (gives me a strong Cormac McCarthy feeling, which is always a good thing), but even after re-reading it a few times, it doesn't seem like you answered the second question in the OP. However, the sheet's good enough as-is, so I'm not concerned about it.

In other news, the IRC Channel is set up! You're free to join #dead_state on SynIRC. However, it's really bare-bones right now, and I'm trying to get it fully fleshed-out. I'm about to leave for the day soon, though, so I probably won't be able to chat much except for on my phone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, whoops! I forgot the questions entirely! Let me edit them into the bio.

So I had some free time today and decided to pop into Google Earth and drop some labels on the map following your hand-drawn one. The Trinity is a little rough, but the rest of the map should be good. Dark yellow lines are interstate highways, light yellow are state routes. The sorta purple lines are state borders and the big neon yellow line is the border with Canada.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 31, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

So I had some free time today and decided to pop into Google Earth and drop some labels on the map following your hand-drawn one. The Trinity is a little rough, but the rest of the map should be good. Dark yellow lines are interstate highways, light yellow are state routes. The sorta purple lines are state borders and the big neon yellow line is the border with Canada.

Wow, great work! I'll edit this into the OP right away.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

If you're not playing any and every Fallout game as a drunk punchman, you're doing something wrong.

Edit: as long as we're sharing Fallout fanart...

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So, right now, I'm on a relatively terrible computer for the time being until my laptop is repaired. For some reason, this desktop decides to delete all my file preferences and almost all of my web cookies every time I shut it off. This means that, for some reason, whenever I logged onto #dead_state yesterday, I was no longer OP of that channel. So, expect that whenever I get back on my laptop, I will remake the channel under a different name and see if my OP-ness sticks.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 3, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just so you know, the rule about buying equipment above the world's tech level is on Page 27 of the character book:

quote:

You enter play with “starting wealth” appropriate to the campaign TL. If you are from a higher TL, you may start with access to the equipment of your personal TL. However, the price of an item of equipment is doubled for every TL by which its TL exceeds that of the campaign!

For instance, a TL8 character in a TL3 game world starts with the same $1,000 as everyone else at TL3. If he wants a TL8 assault rifle that normally costs $1,500, it costs him 32 times as much (five TLs of difference results in five doublings, or a factor of 32) – or $48,000 – since the rifle is far more valuable in a lowtech setting. He’d need to start with some Wealth!

There is no guarantee that high-TL adventurers will continue to have access to high-tech gear in play. If you want a piece of gear, then you should buy it when you start out. If your TL8 adventurer is dropped into a TL3 world with 100 rounds of ammunition for his assault rifle, then he had better use it wisely. Once it’s gone, it’s gone . . .

That rule also requires you to take the "High TL" advantage, though. You have access to the equipment because you're coming from someplace more technically advanced than the campaign setting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well, the good news is that I can just remove an advantage and get the High TL advantage with a few points left over instead of having to mess further with my point count. The bad news is that I need to redo the math for my equipment costs and hope that it doesn't go over.

I'm not entirely sure that using the book as written in this case is the best solution, though. While many parts of society are TL5 in Fallout (like getting around on foot or by animal for the most part instead of driving), higher TL items like weapons are canonically quite common (especially since the Gun Runners in Los Angeles have been manufacturing firearms for nearly 120 years by this point). Fallout is generally a mishmash of stuff from several tech levels all the way up to TL9, with Fallout 4's Institute going potentially up to TL10+.

What I would suggest is looking at 4E Low-Tech page 7. It discusses how actual historical societies often had different tech levels in different categories of society, like being unusually advanced in mathematics while lacking iron tools. It also discusses "Roads Not Taken", where historical fiction can have certain technologies be discovered or pursued further than they were in the real world. For instance, Ancient Rome could have become TL(2+1) if they had perfected the use of compressed air cylinders for storing energy for siege weapons. I'd suggest that Fallout more reliably falls into a TL(5+2) or TL(5+1) type of society, or an even weirder spread. To stay true to canon, it may be preferable to define the TL for different aspects of Fallout society.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 3, 2016

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at those books when I get home tonight, and I'll probably go ahead and change the TL to 5+1 now.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So does that mean if we get the advantage we can get TL6 stuff, or is that saying that we can get TL5-6 stuff by default?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Unknown Quantity posted:

So does that mean if we get the advantage we can get TL6 stuff, or is that saying that we can get TL5-6 stuff by default?

You should be able to get TL6 stuff now, and higher stuff with the Advantage.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Benjamin "Code Talker" Braddock

In Minnesota, one's choices for entertainment are scarce, what with television basically dead and performers few and far between. This leaves radio as often the sole form of media. When the stars align, and people who still know how to repair and operate this machinery find a place with intact equipment, most of these radio operators will either pick up holotape recordings of pre-war music and use the station to deliver music, or act as information centers by reporting on whatever news or rumors come their way. Benjamin Braddock is the son of one of them, and chose to do both, considering the relatively close distance between the radio tower and the relatively friendly Vault 23.

Or at least, that was his job for a few years after the rest of his older family members eventually either left for the coasts or succumbed to old age. It was a bit of a lonely existence, but between visits by listeners and rumor-mongerers, trips to the Vault, and the positively-charged music, Ben kept his head held up high. He was sure that at some point, America will live again. Holding onto this idea that one of these days the US Government will radio in or stop by his door to tell him and everyone else that they're here to help rebuild the world, and that the war is finally over. He was surprisingly close to being right on the dot. The Enclave indeed knock on his door. An aged man in a crisp black suit followed by a very large, armored and silent partner.

"Good morning. Is this the home of Jim Braddock or his next of kin?"

"Well, I'm his grandson, so does the next-of-next-of kin count?"

"It does! Listen, your government is on the road to rebuilding the country, and they need the help of able-bodied patriots like yourself to do it. Would you be willing to do your country a service?"

"Uh...sure. What do you need me to do? I'm just a radio operator, but I can try just about anything."

"What a coincidence! This job has everything to do with radio operation. This prototype eyebot, the Automated Speaker Housing: Linguistics Edition, is a new advance in radio communications technology. We need you to accompany it across a few select locations as we test its broadcast capabilities. Nowhere dangerous, we just need a specialist to ensure that it doesn't get damaged, and if it does, this means we'll have someone who can repair it on standby."

"Well, I can definitely do that. I mean, I have a show to run, but..."

"Oh, don't worry about that at all. If you'll just plug the unit into your station's equipment or insert the relevant tapes, it can take over broadcasting duties for you while out and about."

"Oh! Well, okay then."

"Your country thanks you, sir. Have a nice day."

The robot is unceremoniously dropped off and left behind with this chump as they leave with a tip of their proverbial hats. A chump who's going to wander the wastes following this robot, christened "Ashley", across wherever the hell it seems to have been programmed to go. His first stop? Vault 23.

EDIT: To answer your questions, they went to Minnesota because that's where their old home was, and although two generations ago they moved out east to a bomb shelter, they came back one generation later once radiation levels were safer to see what became of it. The old radio building was about it for what was left of the neighborhood. Seems it was made of sterner stuff. Rebar-reinforced concrete, specifically.

Secondly, there's talk of a treasure hidden somewhere underneath the old Mayo Clinic. Some people say the Mayo Brothers knew where it was, but their descendants have long since vanished.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I edited my character sheet to reflect the new rules on High TL. I've replaced one advantage with it (which leaves me 10 points left over instead of 0), doubled the cost of my Ruger, and removed the Colt revolver and all its stuff to cover the cost. Take a look and see if any more changes need to be made.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

I've been excited about this character ever since we talked about it in IRC, (like, I made a little noise of happiness when I read your post at work), but you've seemed to leave the second question I asked unanswered, unless you want your secret or rumor to be that the Enclave's active in Minnesota.

[/quote]

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, I edited my character sheet to reflect the new rules on High TL. I've replaced one advantage with it (which leaves me 10 points left over instead of 0), doubled the cost of my Ruger, and removed the Colt revolver and all its stuff to cover the cost. Take a look and see if any more changes need to be made.

Honestly, I'd say that you don't have enough Advantages, but you've seemed to have made a good, interesting character through the other parts of your sheet, and you have spent your points well, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'll leave it up to you as to if you want to rebuild it a little and grab some Advantages, but I'm fine with it either way. However, I did catch that your buttpack, gun cleaning kit, and chest-rig aren't in the base GURPS book or Hi-Tech, now that I'm re-reading and have those books at my fingertips. Given what you did with the canteen, I'm assuming they're homebrew, which is fine, so now that it's already been done, I should probably append a rule that into the OP.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 4, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kumaton posted:

Honestly, I'd say that you don't have enough Advantages, but you've seemed to have made a good, interesting character through the other parts of your sheet, and you have spent your points well, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'll leave it up to you as to if you want to rebuild it a little and grab some Advantages, but I'm fine with it either way. However, I did catch that your buttpack, gun cleaning kit, and chest-rig aren't in the base GURPS book or Hi-Tech, now that I'm re-reading and have those books at my fingertips. Given what you did with the canteen, I'm assuming they're homebrew, which is fine, so now that it's already been done, I should probably append a rule that into the OP.

The buttpack is listed as a possible permutation in the description of the waist pack on page 54 of High-Tech. The gun cleaning kit is on page 160 of High-Tech. The chest rig is just the load-bearing vest on page 54 of High-Tech, but renamed. Since I have the chance, I'll fill up those 10 points with Advantages just to even the odds.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

chitoryu12 posted:

The buttpack is listed as a possible permutation in the description of the waist pack on page 54 of High-Tech. The gun cleaning kit is on page 160 of High-Tech. The chest rig is just the load-bearing vest on page 54 of High-Tech, but renamed. Since I have the chance, I'll fill up those 10 points with Advantages just to even the odds.

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Converted sheet to PDF, all's done. Code Talker starts with $300 left of his remaining money.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'll try and have my sheet finished tonight, haven't gotten home until 10pm the last few days so I couldn't work on it.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

After giving it some thought, I think I'll pass on this game. I don't think I have the time to do it right now.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Mr Tastee posted:

After giving it some thought, I think I'll pass on this game. I don't think I have the time to do it right now.

Aw, that's a shame. Of course, you're still welcome to swing by the IRC and watch the game if you can find the time.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Double postin' to remind people to get their characters in before Midnight this Friday!

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
T-t-triple post to say that I'm extending the deadline to midnight, Sunday, Febuary 14th after talking to some people working on apps about it on IRC. Be sure to use your time well! Also, be sure to specify what time and when you'll be able to play when you app - to those who have already submitted a character, try to edit that in!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Donald "Doc" Bronson

Has anyone seen my coat?
Most folks don't know what to make of him when they see him: A lumbering green figure in an oversized lab coat loping across the blasted American heartland like some sort of rad-ridden Sasquatch, dragging half a lab's worth of equipment with him. Some run, returning to find their abandoned belongings neatly piled and a messily written note of apology atop them. Some open fire, sending the figure yelping and fleeing for cover, before it returns fire with sharpened shafts of rebar. And some nervously stand their ground, only to find themselves confronted with a beaming, slightly awkward scientist, who would really like to know how often they see notably rad-mutated animals in the local environs, and if they wouldn't mind a quick cheek squab?

Doc Bronson doesn't like talking about Old 18, the land of milk, honey, and easy chems he fled from. He'll talk too much about the FEV, his theories on its continuing mutation and its effects on various animal life, but not why it clearly infected him long ago. That's not important now, Doc's silence seems to suggest as he moves across the midwest, dissecting particularly mutated monstrosities and giving medical history questionnaires to ghouls. What's important is understanding the world that humanity and its children now live in, and Doc's part in that is (as he'll opine about at length) deciphering FEV's crazed effect on the land. Still, whatever happened in the home of his youth clearly haunts him, and Doc Bronson can often be seen away from his research pursuits, trying to help the lost and forlorn in the wasteland to make up for whatever happened.

Whatever has caused the changes to the Dead State has drawn Doc to Minnesota. Sudden changes in the environment means new and interesting strains of FEV to study, and he wouldn't mind having a look at whatever old technology remains to be rescued at the old Mayo clinic. He could really use a replacement genome sequencer...and he'll be damned if those powered armored, tyrannical bigots in the Brotherhood of Steel are going to stop him. The midwest chapter's open tyranny would have earned Doc's ire, even if they weren't already predisposed to shoot him on sight.

He's also very curious about the rumors about leeches grown to enormous size and voracious appetite around Leech Lake are true. Surely no hemophagic predator could grow that big, and surely there would be easier prey than the modern human? Though if there are actually hideous leech mutants slithering across the Minnesota landscape at night, devouring small settlements, Doc would really like to take a sample or two.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Hey, so a bit of unfortunate news. I'm going through some family issues right now, which might require me to go on a little-less-than-900 mile trip. I'll know more later this week, and I'm trying to keep my head high, but life usually is more important than games. I'm definitely not going to be closing the thread or the game anytime soon, but there may be a few weeks delay. I'll keep the thread and the folks on IRC updated with info, so just keep this thread bookmarked.

• Locked thread