Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kuvo and topiKal are going cave diving.

Ep 01 - The Spelunking Game (Mines) (youtube)
Ep 02 - That didn't end up terrible, but it should have (Mines) (youtube)
Ep 03 - Dapper Chap (Tutorial & Mines shortcut run) (youtube)
Ep 04 - Trying to Blow 'em (Jungle) (youtube)
Ep 05 - That was a lot of murders (Jungle shortcut run) (youtube)
Ep 06 - Mark (Jungle shortcut run) (youtube)
Ep 07 - Died before I could live (Ice Caves) (youtube)
Ep 08 - Karl's Dead (Ice Caves shortcut run) (youtube)
Ep 09 - American Patriot (Ice Caves shortcut run) (youtube)
Ep 10 - Slapstick (Temple) (youtube)
Ep 11 - A rock and a hard place (Temple) (youtube)
Ep 12 - Soothing Fart Sounds (Worm and Haunted Castle) (youtube)
Ep 13 - Interesting Itches (Mothership) (youtube)
Ep 14 - War Criminals (Mothership) (youtube)
Ep 15 - The First Circle (youtube)
Ep 16 - The Second Circle (youtube)
Ep 17 - The Third Circle (youtube)
Ep 18 - The Fourth Circle (youtube)
Ep 19 - The Fifth Circle (youtube)
Ep 20 - The Sixth Circle (youtube)
Ep 21 - The Seventh Circle (youtube)
Ep 22 - The Eight Circle (youtube)
Ep 23 - The Ninth Circle (youtube)

In 2008, a cool dude named Derek Yu made a procedurally-generated 2D Platformer with high difficulty and a lot of unique and hidden content. Good guess, it was Spelunky. The original version was fairly popular despite it influence is drawing a lot of influence in the "rogue-like" genre. For anyone without Google, that basically means when you die you have to start the whole game over.

Eventually, time passed and nobody cared about Spelunky anymore because it was old and died in a cave somewhere. But then in 2012, a remake was released on XBLA! Spelunky HD featured entirely updated graphics, improved controls, and a bunch of added content. Plus, it exposed the game to the scourge of humanity known as "console gamers." Since then, the game has been released on Playstation 3 and Playstation 4. Also, for anyone dumb enough to buy a PS Vita, it's on there too!

Oh, and there's a browser-based version of the original called Spelunky HTML5.

Spelunky can be divided into four standard levels and a bunch of hidden ones. Our goal is to show you the entire game, starting with the standard ones then going though the secret hidden levels. One of these levels in particular is extremely hard to reach, so hopefully we get lucky. We will also try to show off all the items and bad guys along the way if possible. Depending on how long all this takes, we may even take some suggestions from the thread for "challenge runs". topiKal is pretty good at Spelunky and will explain the mechanics and items as we go. Kuvo is pretty bad at Spelunky and will die.

Spelunky has fairly standard 2D Platform mechanics, but it is unique in several ways.

First, the normal stuff: You can jump, run, duck, grab on ledges, climb ladders, and your primary attack is a whip. There are lots of bad guys and they do bad guy things like try to run at you, eat you, or shoot you with stuff.

As for more interesting elements: Items such as rocks, arrows, and even treasure chests can be picked up and thrown as weapons, or for other reasons. In addition, there are a ton of pickup items that all do different things. Only one handheld pickup (torches, guns, some items) can be held at a time. Clothing, on the other hand, stacks abilities and you can grab as many as you want.

Lastly, you start the game with a few of each special item: bombs and climbing ropes. Bombs will blast through most materials and cause a lot of damage. Climbing ropes go straight up and attach to the background, allowing you to climb out of holes or around obstacles. You can collect more of each item by finding or buying them.

The most important thing to know about Spelunky is that it is unforgiving. There are a lot of insta-kills, and sometimes getting hit by an enemy will bounce you into another enemy or obstacle. Basically, you're never safe. So expect to see a lot of random deaths, sometimes moments before achieving a goal.

Spelunkers
Bio: A bunch of suicidal idiots, basically.
Purpose: These are your player characters. Their controls and abilities are identical so the choice is solely aesthetic. Many of these characters are unlocked by breaking open coffins. Some of these appear randomly and others are hidden in specific locations (usually in the special hidden levels).

Yang
Bio: This guy wants treasure and he wants it bad. Treasure makes him hard.
Purpose: The player assumes the role of Yang during the tutorial levels, after which he disappears. His journal gives some background info about the game but

Tunnel Man
Bio: Nobody is quite sure of his origin, just that is the the only known black Viet Cong soldier and one of the leading planners of the infamous Cu Chi Tunnels. Posing as an American soldier near the end of the war, he came back to the Land of Opportunity and assumed the name Brett Jones. His harrowing tales of the war brought him through the talk show circuit, eventually turning his memoir, "The Brett Offensive", into a national bestseller. Still, he often longed for the simple days of the digging life. Finally, he traded the spotlight for a headlamp and went back underground.
Purpose: Tunnel Man requires the player to bring various items to the end of an area in order to open up shortcuts to later levels. When using a shortcut, high scores aren't saved. Aside from that, the game acts the same regardless of which level you start in.

Tutorial
Looks like The Mines. Do you really care?

The Mines
The beginning level and technically the easiest. Don't let that fool you -- the same skills are needed to survive here as the rest of the game, and you can get killed just as easily as anywhere else. Several enemies and traps exist here that also show up in some later areas. Alternate versions include Darkness ("I can't see a thing!"), Snakes ("I hear snakes, I hate snakes!") and Spiders ("My skin is crawling!")

The Jungle
This place is a little more difficult than the mines, mainly due to the addition of some meaner enemies and a higher chance of dark levels (which require a torch to see). Alternate version include Darkness ("I can't see a thing!"), Undead ("The dead are restless!"), and Lake ("I hear rushing water!").

There are a lot of them and I'll write about the important ones later.

Is this real?
Only if you believe~

Where's bandunk?
He's claustrophobic so this LP was a no-go.

Something feels different...
The walls are shifting...

What's the spoiler pollicy?
In general, anything we've seen in a video is fair game to discuss. There are some items in the videos we've purposely not talked about as they are used in ~future things~. Try not to allude to these ~future things~ too hard, you may hurt yourself.

Is this going to be like your other LPs where you sucked at every fight, paid no attention to the game, got drunk and yelled and even passed out in a few episodes?
I can't recall the events you're talking about.

How often are you going to release video?
Whenever I want

Can you upload a version without you guys talking over everything?
No.

Can you please edit the lengths down? I don't want to watch you jump around a cave for 50 mins collecting things.
hahahahahahahah

I don't understand whats going on in the most recent video!
Kali accepts your sacrifice!

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Oh ya Minifoo and I are also LPing Goemon's Great Adventure so you can go watch that too if you need a double dose of schadenfreude.

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 9, 2016

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Ground floor

you suck, I suck, this game will drag on forever until we die

(rated 5, went hogwild)

http://zippy.gfycat.com/JollyDefinitiveAmericansaddlebred.webm

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 1, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

gently caress

Yeah

And it didn't even require a massive bribe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I hope to see this LP end five years from now.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
You could have waited till april 1st and REALLY screwed with peoples brains.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wow, you clearly enjoy playing dumb games which don't move along for decades.
I am really into this!

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Oh this is going to be magical :allears:

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME
How bad of an idea this poo poo is is far beyond my human reckoning.
I can't even slightly reckon this poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Why yes, I do hold schadenfreude very dear to my heart.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Killing Zanza was a mistake.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it couldn't possibly get more stupid than the back half of Xenoblade

it just couldn't

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

Kuvo posted:

Ep 01 - The Spelunking Game (Mines) (youtube)

You're probably gonna need a few more leading 0's in the episode numbers.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 1, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rodyle posted:

it just couldn't

God I was really enjoying Xenoblade up until the half-way point, then it just got really lame and I never ended up finishing it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rodyle posted:

it just couldn't

it's amazing how good the first half is and how much the second half is basically the most generic anime ever

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You know it's going to be a good LP when the name of the game is misspelled in the thread title.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
This game is dumb but I love it. Well except for the heinous gather information quests where you have to find randos with yellow speech bubbles over their heads. Those are the worst. Also you better put on the most ridiculous fashion gear you can find because good lord there's some stupid costumes in this game.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have no idea what this is and I know nothing about the original Xenoblade either. It looks like an MMO that is very anime, only also with stupid cutscenes.

I'll be watching. :getin:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I too love this game
but it is very frustrating

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wasn't xenoblade x a good game?? or did i get my correct opinions wrong again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Suspicious Dish posted:

The word "divisive" comes to mind, IIRC

Me, I got bored out by about chapter 5 so I'm looking forward to seeing what I missed!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is good but very anime and thus riffable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

Killing Zanza was a mistake.

Zanza was an rear end in a top hat and I'm glad he's dead. Yeah I said it. :colbert:

Godspeed boys. If you actually make it through this I will be impressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime, and this game's cutscenes, and the second half of chronicles, are good.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i didnt play the first xenoblade either because jrpgs are boring and unfun i just heard it was also really good

TieTuesday
Sep 10, 2013

SODA TIME

Suspicious Dish posted:

wasn't this a good game?? or did i get my correct opinions wrong again

I mean, we'll see, it depends on what you're looking for.
If you like to jump and explore absolutely, if you're looking for a good deep rich story then no.

TieTuesday fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 28, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Suspicious Dish posted:

Mostly it's just baffling.

But it's a great game if you have a fetish for collecting tank tops.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i love this game

i also hate this game with a passion

Vicas fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 28, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I both ironically and unironically love the soundtrack.

Kuvo posted:

Can you please edit the lengths down? I don't want to watch you jump around a cave for 50 mins collecting things.
hahahahahahahah

This is also a very good way of seeing things that I may have to start emulating

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 1, 2016

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
oh my god

yeah

uh uh uh uh

Edit: that cut :allears:

Kase moch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 28, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a great game to explore everything and then you run out of things to explore and never play again.

Also the music is loving hilarious assuming it doesn't drive you insane.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TurnipFritter posted:

Mostly it's just baffling.

But it's a great game if you have a fetish for collecting tank tops.

yeah what was up with that?
more variants of that than anything else in the game

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I love the game flaws included (no, the soundtrack is not a flaw).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rumsfeld looks like Terra from FF6.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

loving love this game. It's full of awful design decisions but exploring the world is so much fun and I get to dress up my anime character in silly outfits. And at some point you get a robot which is pretty awesome as well.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Laughed my arse off all the way through character creation.

This is gonna be a fun one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i like:

exploring
collecting
dungeoning
puzzles

i dislike:

random battles
turn based battles
action battles
tactical battles
battles in general that aren't of the button mashy kind except for the ones in paper mario and super mario rpg those were fun
jrpgs

will i enjoy this game?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I similarly am unfamiliar with this game and will not join or endorse your quest until I have some proof that it really is terrible. :colbert:

Naming the main character after one of the most loathsome political figures of the last century is a good start but is not enough.

Mr Kuvo, what makes you think your lp will cause me greater suffering than those of the Sonic Booms and Superman64's and Next Life's that it competes against? What proof do you have that Xenoblade can crush my soul faster than those lps did?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i like:

exploring
collecting
dungeoning
puzzles

i dislike:

random battles
turn based battles
action battles
tactical battles
battles in general that aren't of the button mashy kind except for the ones in paper mario and super mario rpg those were fun
jrpgs

will i enjoy this game?

There's a shitload of exploration and collectibles but there's also a shitload of battles and it's jrpg as gently caress so it's a wash and depends on how much bullshit you're willing to put up with to enjoy the good parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That oompa loompa has done hard time

• Locked thread