Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
I am currently 30 years old, and as a freshman in college at Savannah College of Art and Design about 11 years ago I set out to make a senior thesis that was going to be above and beyond the commonly held standards for such work. My goal soon went from winning a Student Academy Award, to an outright Academy Award. In addition to learning the craft of filmmaking, art, and animation at college I spent many more hours trying to come up with an idea that was worthy of such lofty goals. Due to the arduous and strenuous nature of such a pursuit, my mental health and personal life suffered, and is still suffering to this day.

My goal originally was to have this film be a intensive collaborative effort based on whatever idea I came up with. Towards the end of college however, I had not come up with an idea that satisfied what I thought would be the necessary standards for such a work. Dejected, I marched towards the end of my college career without a sufficient idea. The only idea that I did come up with I was not entirely pleased with, and consisted of a loose story involving a moth, spider, and slightly based on "The Itsy Bitsy Spider". It was to be done in a very crude form of animation called "playblast", which is typically reserved for testing animation before being rendered.

In one of the final classes related to my senior thesis, I shared my idea with the professor and the class. I told them that it involved a bunch of metaphors involving light, religion, truth, and science. At one point the professor (who is named Jason Maurer and was one of the directors of the film "Delgo"), pointed out that my film shared some similarities with "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka. At first I was extremely dismissive because I had read that story in school and thought it was a weird story by a weird guy, and seemed like the whole story was a metaphor for coming out of the closet. Eventually though I shelved my original idea though, and ended up deciding to do a film based on "The Metamorphosis" after further thinking and research.

By then however it was too late. Everyone at school was already heavily invested in their own projects and while I was able to find some people willing to help me work on this project, it was not the kind of help I thought was necessary to achieve my goals. I then ended up doing some "playblast" animation to the new Kanye West album at the time "808's and Heartbreak", got put on academic probation, and left school about 10 credit hours and 2 classes short of a degree.

I moved back in with my parents (who I still live with to this day) and decided to pursue making a film based on "The Metamorphosis" entirely by myself. The going was rough and my mental health and personal life deteriorated even further with me ending up getting banned from these forums literally hundreds of times and being hospitalized several times for psychiatric reasons.

I never gave up on my goal however, and about a year ago officially completed my film based on "The Metamorphosis". Despite many hours of research and concept work, It is done in a "playblast" style animation that is intentionally crude and abrasive. For some reason that just seems more honest than making a polished work of art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYZBS1eye_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe you should have spent 10

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Travis343 posted:

Maybe you should have spent 10

Well I am making a few more films like it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Doredrin posted:

are you threatening me?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sorry about the wasted 1/3 of your life OP.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doredrin posted:

Please don't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is a joke right? I can't even tell anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Please don't crap on my friend here, he's very brave to share this work with you.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

This is a joke right? I can't even tell anymore.

Partially a parody and partially serious.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, can you animate loss.jpg? It's also a kafkaesque story in a way.

Just like your life.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

OP, can you animate loss.jpg? It's also a kafkaesque story in a way.

Just like your life.

I'll consider it. Right now I'm probably going to do an Alexander the Great animation, then a Beowful animation, then I'll probably do something based on the moth story I came up with.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
This is a troll, right?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Mr. 47 posted:

This is a troll, right?

It is mostly serious, but I am aware of the kind of response it will get from most people. If good or even great art was immediately appreciated by everyone, than Van Gogh would have died a rich man.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. 47 posted:

This is a troll, right?

This is outsider art.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doredrin posted:

If good or even great art was immediately appreciated by everyone, than Van Gogh would have died a rich man.

:lol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, is playblast related to plaype in any way?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
It's good, but it's no Colin's Bear Animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Doredrin posted:

It is mostly serious, but I am aware of the kind of response it will get from most people. If good or even great art was immediately appreciated by everyone, than Van Gogh would have died a rich man.

This college you went to, it was ITT Tech, wasn't it?

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

This is outsider art.

I guess in a way it is outsider art because I have never been employed as an artist, but I did go to art school and almost graduate. I believe that I am capable of making animation and art in the "correct" way, but doing so seems less fulfilling to me than doing it this way.

Paladinus posted:

OP, is playblast related to plaype in any way?

Playblast is generally a way to check animation or particle systems in 3d programs in a manner than renders it using much less resources than standard rendering procedures.

thedaian posted:

It's good, but it's no Colin's Bear Animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

Yeah that came out after I decided to do an animation in playblast. Before that I designed my high school's yearbook cover in a similar style back in 2004.

Mr. 47 posted:

This college you went to, it was ITT Tech, wasn't it?

It says in my OP that I went to Savannah College of Art and Design. I know how to properly figure draw, animate, model, sculpt, paint, etc.

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 9, 2016

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Doredrin posted:

It says in my OP that I went to Savannah College of Art and Design. I know how to properly figure draw, animate, model, sculpt, paint, etc.

Then why didn't you?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Doredrin posted:

I know how to properly figure draw, animate, model, sculpt, paint, etc.

Heads up. No one here is going to believe that.

This feels more like one of those guitar players who refuses to put time and effort into actually learning their instrument and developing chops or skill with the excuse of "it hurts the creative process and I don't want to be walled in by your rules maaaaan" when really the only thing accomplished by refusing to get technically better is that they severely limit their musical vocabulary and ability to express themselves, and everybody can see through their paper thin creativity excuse anyway and rolls their eyes because the truth is that the guitarist really just isn't very good.

Alternatively, nice troll.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 9, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doredrin posted:

The going was rough and my mental health and personal life deteriorated even further with me ending up getting banned from these forums literally hundreds of times and being hospitalized several times for psychiatric reasons.

Please get help OP

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Mr. 47 posted:

Then why didn't you?

For the same reason Picasso and many, many other artists didn't paint realistically.

GreatGreen posted:

Heads up. No one here is going to believe that.

This feels more like one of those guitar players who refuses to put time and effort into actually learning their instrument and developing chops or skill with the excuse of "it hurts the creative process and I don't want to be walled in by your rules maaaaan" when really the only thing accomplished by refusing to get technically better is that they severely limit their musical vocabulary and ability to express themselves, and everybody can see through their paper thin creativity excuse anyway and rolls their eyes because the truth is that the guitarist really just isn't very good.

My GPA in college up to my senior year was in the B/B+ range and I got A's in many classes. If you or anyone else has anything worth wagering I'll consider modeling a realistic person who refers to himself as "Great Green" and reads from a script of you or someone else's choosing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Please get help OP

I'm seeing a psychologist and am on medication.

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 9, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doredrin posted:

For the same reason Picasso and many, many other artists didn't paint realistically.

They did, though. All those artists are proficient in different styles and are able to work with different media. For some time Picasso even painted plates. Not to be confused with plapes.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

They did, though. All those artists are proficient in different styles and are able to work with different media. For some time Picasso even painted plates. Not to be confused with plapes.

I am proficient in a variety of different media. I just choose to animate in this way.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Doredrin posted:

I am proficient in a variety of different media. I just choose to animate in this way.

Oh cool, what other works have you done?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreatGreen posted:

https://youtu.be/aXRCAI7q8QY

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

GreatGreen posted:

Here is a temporary upload of something I did my senior year of college about 8 years ago. Looking back there are absolutely glaring mistakes with a variety of things, but it is a very quick example of how at least I have the most basic understanding of animation. I didn't make the model or rig, the assignment was just to animate this person chiseling away at a statue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Tvv_tD0D0

If people are genuinely interested, I can photograph some of the traditional art I did in college, but only if people are genuinely interested.

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doredrin posted:

Here is a temporary upload of something I did my senior year of college about 8 years ago. Looking back there are absolutely glaring mistakes with a variety of things, but it is a very quick example of how at least I have the most basic understanding of animation. I didn't make the model or rig, the assignment was just to animate this person chiseling away at a statue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Tvv_tD0D0

If people are genuinely interested, I can photograph some of the traditional art I did in college, but only if people are genuinely interested.
I'm genuinely interested.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I too am genuinely interested, and shame on any readers who do not rate this amazing thread a 5

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My interest is also genuine.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Doredrin posted:

My GPA in college up to my senior year was in the B/B+ range and I got A's in many classes. If you or anyone else has anything worth wagering I'll consider modeling a realistic person who refers to himself as "Great Green" and reads from a script of you or someone else's choosing.

I'm seeing a psychologist and am on medication.

You're not creative. You're not an artist. You're just a lazy sadbrain who uses your "art" as an excuse to mooch off of your parents and avoid growing up. You're sadder than the BulletBall guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Mr. 47 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Don't listen to that guy ^^

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

My interest is also genuine.

Flesh Forge posted:

I too am genuinely interested, and shame on any readers who do not rate this amazing thread a 5

Here are two quick pictures of things I did almost a decade ago. Even though I haven't been practicing, I think that I could probably do much better nowadays (they are both from life and not from photographs):

:nws:http://imgur.com/a/2IGzO:nws:

http://imgur.com/a/tTDSc

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Okay, okay. One simple question: why is the main hero of your movie a barely animated glitched mess? What's the point of such choice? I am genuinely curious why you've done it this way.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

laserghost posted:

Okay, okay. One simple question: why is the main hero of your movie a barely animated glitched mess? What's the point of such choice? I am genuinely curious why you've done it this way.

My original intention was to have a classically animated film with a glitched mess as Gregor Samsa, but then I decided to make the entire film less classical and traditional.

Also the German word that Kafka uses to describe Gregor is " Ungeziefer" or a vermin/animal unfit for sacrifice:

quote:

Describing Gregor Samsa’s metamorphosis, Kafka uses a vague term, “ungeheures Ungeziefer.” Although vague, that term carries some heavy symbolic baggage. And translators have struggled with it these hundred years (Die Verwandlung was first published in 1915). Aside from the Producers’ giant cockroach, the “ungeheures Ungeziefer” has been translated as “a monstrous vermin” and “a verminous bug”.

Etymology gives no clear guide on how to translate “Ungeziefer”, even when adding to the heavy symbolic load.
The etymological roots of “Ungeziefer” are in Middle High German (whose literature Kafka studied in Prague) – “ungezibere”, which means “non-sacrificial animal” (especially insects – and similar to the idea, in
other cultures, of the “unclean animal”.).

http://oomkenscom.com/2013/06/26/kafkas-ungeziefer-in-the-metamorphosis/

Which, as explained in that link, has presented a lot of challenge to readers and translators over the years. Kafka was infact quoted as saying I think, "The insect cannot be drawn" when talking to an illustrator who was doing the cover to the novella. I think making Gregor literally a bug is closer to the original intent of Kafka in that he was not necessarily saying that Gregor turned literally into a beetle or cockroach, but in many ways a vermin.

Also, how about I animated and render loss.jpg to a high level of quality and this forum then swears to do everything they can do to get me the fame and fortune I so rightfully deserve in this world.

Doredrin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, do you need any voice acting for your film? I am an aspiring artist just like yourself, and would gladly provide my talent for a fruitful collaboration.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

OP, do you need any voice acting for your film? I am an aspiring artist just like yourself, and would gladly provide my talent for a fruitful collaboration.

I think all of my efforts in the foreseeable future are going to be silent, but thanks for the offer.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Doredrin posted:

Here are two quick pictures of things I did almost a decade ago. Even though I haven't been practicing, I think that I could probably do much better nowadays (they are both from life and not from photographs):

:nws:http://imgur.com/a/2IGzO:nws:

http://imgur.com/a/tTDSc

So you have skill, you just made a stylistic choice to make your animation as lovely and uninteresting as possible. Ok, cool, but I wouldn't expect people to appreciate your artistic genius anytime in this millenium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

grate deceiver posted:

So you have skill, you just made a stylistic choice to make your animation as lovely and uninteresting as possible. Ok, cool, but I wouldn't expect people to appreciate your artistic genius anytime in this millenium.

What if I animated loss.jpg for you guys? Will that at least get me somewhere?

• Locked thread