Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
Lacryma Episode 27 Chapter 14 pt.3

We are now back in the present. I wonder how Lacryma is going to take this.

"Kainas left to revive his wife..."
"Now he's trying to create Eden to get the material for the Original Kartia."
I somehow didn't make the connection of exactly what is on Eden until now. Yeah :saddowns:

"No, everything makes sense..."
"My father is a hero. He's not a heathen!"

"Lacryma, your father..."

Lacryma rushes off, and everyone follows her.

:siren:MUSIC:Unknown Title XVII:siren:

"That's right! You're a Shrine Warrior!"
"Get out of my way, or I'll kill you both!"
"Lacryma..."
"Do you know what you're doing?"

It turns out that Aile, was telling the truth. Of course we the player don't question that.
Since so much time was spent watching that flashback. But for all the party knows he could be
lying.

"The Bishop was telling the truth..."
"She sacrificed herself to save her daughter..."

Lacryma runs off. Yeah I'd probably need some alone time to wrap my head around that too.

Everyone but Bachstail runs after Lacryma.

But wait, there's something more. Apparently the Original "Death" Kartia is here? What the heck?
But I don't... Toxa used it in his Campaign and he got it from the Encrypter School.

Turns out the "Death" Kartia, Toxa ended up using was a copy. A very elaborate copy since it looks almost identical to
the real one. But it actually makes total sense. Kainas had to get a copy of the Original "Life" Kartia to replace it, to throw off the
Inquirers. He also gave the Original "Death" Kartia to Aile, and got a copy of that as well, because both Originals had to be thought of as secured by the government.
Who made the copies? Most likely Raguruzet did. But does he know that Lacryma has been resurrected for real by the Original "Life"?
That is currently unknown, it's possible either way really.

Anyways, that was the reason Saradiart didn't stay dead. The copies of the Originals only last for so long.
It's only temporary death. If Toxa had used the Original "Death" Kartia, then Saradiart would have stayed down.
It's also why Toxa didn't die. Because it was a lovely knockoff all along. :v:

One more thing. If you squint you can actually see the Original "Death" lying in the empty coffin.

Well at least Kun has the right idea.

:siren:MUSIC:Ominous:siren:

"I see..."
"What good is it being depressed? What are we going to do?"
"I don't know... Kun?"
"Let's persuade Kainas to give up his plan."
"That's a good idea, but we're not God."
Yeah, I don't see that happening either.

"Pales? What are you talking about!?"
"Look! In the sky!"

"Pales is not that huge!"
"He's right. That's not Pales."
"Then what is that?"
"That must be Eden..."

:v:

The whole country? drat, that upped the scales from just a single town to a whole country.

We're now treated to a slightly different version of Eden Falls. I'm not going to record the fmv here, because the difference is maybe 10 seconds of video.

This is a really good shot to give a sense of scale of the drat thing. It's huuuuuge.

But from here, it's the same as Eden Falls.

Except the fmv stops here, it doesn't show Eden grinding the town down to dust. Version exclusivity!

That's the end of the update. I really like the event of Eden. It feels like we were going different places with our characters.
Toxa would be chasing Mona,
and Lacryma would have to face her father.
But then, Eden falls. And in a way, I feel changes the fate of our characters. Sort of like someone who had gone back in time and changed it.
Wait. Don't tell me we also have time travel shenanigans. Because I'm not sure if I can handle that. Either way, that's it for this time.
I wonder what happens next, because really, how do you react Eden? What is even the plan?

Lacryma Episode 27 Chapter 14 pt.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.1

"He was killed by the power of the Forbidden Kartia. Even his immortal body could not withstand the power of an Original "Death" Kartia."

I guess Vandor haven't heard of our little break in, into the Encrypter School. But he is understandably puzzled, because as far as he knows Aile has the real Original "Death"

Of course, there is still the issue of them creating Eden. After all if Saradiart is dead, they sort of lack a partner to Mona.

"She thought we wouldn't be able to create Eden..."
"It was fortunate that Karis acted..."
"She never knew that there was a human who witnessed..."
"Yes... The tragedy of the original Eden..."

So it turns out, they never really needed two half-elves to create Eden. What a plot twist.
They only ever needed one. As Raguruzet have seen the "Earth" of Eden, he has a memory of it and can thus create it.
But that begs to question, how did they originally plan to get rid of Saradiart? I mean, yeah we did it.
But I highly doubt that was their plan. That would have been incredibly convoluted to achieve.
And while I do realize this is a video game, I do hope that Legend of Kartia writing is a bit better than that.

:cheers:

Akueldo Soldier "A huge continent appeared in the eastern sky and fell on Idorus!"
Akueldo Soldier "The entire city of Idorus was completely destroyed! Our fortress and bases are all gone!"
"Are you saying that Eden has appeared!?"
Akueldo Soldier "Wild Phantoms are roaming the countryside!"

"It must be him..."
"What!? Do you know something?"
"Ordinary material... The World Tree Kartia could not kill him..."
"What? Vandor, explain."

:allears: Amano art strikes again.

"The user didn't use an Original "Death" Kartia..."
"It was not an Original!? How can you tell?"
"It was not the Original, it was made from the World Tree..."
"It was a fake!?"
"And ordinary Kartia only has a temporary effect..."
"Then..."

I love how Vandor never says how exactly he knows this. I mean, yeah we know how he knows. But he doesn't actually tell Raguruzet.

It is kind of ironic that he had the tool to get rid of Saradiart, but he had long since given it away. Hey, who needs an means to deal out absolute and guaranteed death amirite? :v:

Akueldo Soldier "Allow me to speak freely my Lord, but we are unable to contact Cross or Asty. It seems they were under the continent when it fell..."
:gibs:

I can't help, but draw parallels to FF7's story. At least in the general story structure. We have Akueldo/Shinra who is the main antagonist for a good part of the game, until an threat created by Akueldo/Shinra becomes a larger problem.
Akueldo/Shrinra then crumbles and loses a large amount of their power.
Of course, I'm only aware of this because of the recently done FF7 LP. And no, I'm not entirely serious about this. But it's a fun idea to play with. :v:

Oh hey, Saradiart is just hanging out on Eden for no particular reason. Though I feel like we've seen this kind of design before...

I know it's low hanging fruit, but I'm gonna bite anyways.
SEPHIROTH! Yeah, I said it. :colbert: I just hope Saradiart doesn't end up sprouting wings when we're done with this LP.

In case it isn't immediately clear, Eden is full of ruins with text written all over it and large alien towers. This just screams otherworldly.

You say it like you dropped some money. "Oh whoops, thousands of people just got crushed by a giant piece of land. How unlucky."

"What happened to the people who were there?"
"There is only a slim chance any of them survived..."
If anyone actually managed not to die, then I can only explain it as having the sickest speed stat.

"Thousand of people have died..."
"I won't forgive whoever has done this!"
"Let's go to the Rebel Headquarters!"
"They're not going to make any stupid moves!"

"Since Saradiart is dead, do you think Raguruzet was planning to create Eden?"
"It was not him."

That's one hell of an oversight Karis.

Eden's title is going to change a fair bit. I don't know why they didn't just go with Eden. But it's a small nitpick.

On our way to Nordia, the party decided to check out what all this Eden fuss is about.

I don't fully understand the full picture of this statement yet. It could mean a number of things.

Suuuuuure it is.

I'm with Toxa, gently caress this alien world bullshit and let's go rescue Mona, before any-

Well... This is new.

Welcome to Bullshit. Starring friggin' elves :argh:

It's kind of telling that all Toxa is to this elf :argh: is that he is just some heathen dude who loves a person named Mona.
What a rude fellow.

"Are you okay, Toxa?"
"I heard a voice in my head! Then there was this hairy old man..."
"Hairy old man?"
"He knew Mona... I don't quite get it..."
"It was probably just a dream. You're tired."
I never get this "You're tired, that's why you saw weird poo poo." statement. I mean, yeah I can understand it when you've been awake for several days in a row,
but by that point it's a miracle if you're coherent. Secondarily, are they suggesting Toxa feel asleep, on his feet in the middle of the day, seconds after he just said a full sentence?
Of course, I would look weird if my friend suddenly started talking about voices in his head and hairy old men. But then again, I don't live in a magical world with half-elves and giant continents falling on my head.

And now they're laughing at Toxa. Super good friends you've found there Toxa. :goleft:

"Those are the Cross Land Knights! Are they the ones who were in Nordia?"
"We might be able to get information about Eden."
"Right! Let's go ask them."

Well to be fair, it's not exactly Eden's fault. It was just raised wrong is all. :v:

Cross Land Knight Rufuna "This is the world where Phantoms roam wild. This is not the world described in the fairy tales."
And how are you any authority on that subject? Why exactly are we asking these random incompetent knights about Eden again?

Lamin "The ones who didn't make it to the cave or the lake were all killed. They were all killed by this cursed continent!"
Yes, go on. Hate on a piece of dirt. Well a giant piece of dirt. And it's not much dirt, as it's a giant piece of ruin, really. My point is, it's pointless to hate an inanimate object.

Who?

Lamin "Assam Brange... Do you know him?"
"Yes..."
"Assam..."
"He's the Knight who proposed to Alana..."
Oh, now I remember. The guy who fell in love with Alana after barely having met her. Yeah, that was kind of strange wasn't it?

Well if you're sure he's dead we'll just cross him off. I mean, it's not like anyone else has returned from the dead. :v:

"There is only one path to take. You know that, right?"
"I understand... To Nordia..."

Oh no, not wild phantoms. :rolleyes:

"Thanks for the advice, but..."
We're the prime cause for the extinction of Thieves. And we did take down a magical half-elf, who by the way, were immortal to unconventional weaponry. Well he didn't stay down.
But that's just a temporary technical difficulty. We've also marched into numerous enemy strongholds and won. The game expecting us to take Phantoms as a serious threat is kind of ridiculous at this point.
And that's not even mentioning how easy the game is and that Toxa and Alana is lvl 20. So yeah. Come at me game.

It's entirely likely. So it turns out the Dragons we saw back then were actually a very high tier Phantom. Who knew. But given how we've already kicked their asses back then, kind of takes away their image of fearsome creatures.

I'm feeling slightly insulted you feel the need to pray for me. :colbert:

"I'm not going to run off to try and create Eden in an attempt to resurrect Assam."
"I will catch up with you guys. Go on ahead."

This is a good time as any to cut the update. So Eden fell, wild phantoms are now roaming around and generally things are in a bad state.
Most of Rebus's military were destroyed by Eden. Idorus got completely wiped out and Akueldo lost most of it's strong holds. Things are kind of looking a little grim.

On a more lighter note, I just noticed that Toxa is traveling in an all female party.
Toxa is the pimp Kun wishes he was.

"Aw hills yis. This gun' be gud mawn."

No, I don't know why Toxa has a southern accent like this, but it's the only way I can picture him speaking with this face. :colbert:

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.1

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So yeah, Aile hid Original Death.

Now we have to figure out who made the copy. It obviously wasn't Raguruzet since he was all "WHAT!?", but who else could do it?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wasn't it Vandor? He pretty much admits it, doesn't he?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's the crazy elf going to do now anyhow? Keep creating Edens and dropping them on people?

I'd say Karis did as good a job as could be expected throwing Original Death at that motherfucker via a proxy. But good luck navigating all this elven bullshit, Toxa.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

So yeah, Aile hid Original Death.

Now we have to figure out who made the copy. It obviously wasn't Raguruzet since he was all "WHAT!?", but who else could do it?

It's heavily implied that Vandor made it, since he comments on the materials of it's construction.

And in regards to Karis, well, hindsight is 20/20. But I think she has done well, but the major reason she has done well is because Akueldo wanted her to.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.2

I am so glad this game isn't Dragon Age right now. You guys have no idea.

Hmm I wonder what new foreign object has just been introduced to the natural habitat of this immediate area, and if
that is somehow related to all these gosh darned wild Phantoms? Nah, couldn't be. :v:

Karis is on the up and up though.

It's not often I comment on the dialogue, most times it's minor grammatical errors, like a missing letter
here and there. But I think Misty's line here is a little stiff.

"drat! I don't have any time to waste!"
"Well, we don't have any choice."

Oh yeah, I think we just got the new Text to let us create our own dragons!

Geeze Alana, you're staring down a group of dragons and you zone out to think about your dead boyfriend? Get it together.

"Can you use the Text that the Knights gave us?"
"Oh, sure... I think so..."

It's battle time, baby!

The map has changed to reflect the fact that a giant gently caress off continent have dropped. It looks like someone took a large bite of the landmass, but that is not the case.
Where Eden has fallen has now become uncharted landmass and to reflect that it's no longer on our map. I think it's neat.

Here is the map from an earlier chapter, just to point out the difference.

This is essentially a filler chapter, but it's a good filler chapter, because it there show us how things have changed. We are now fighting high end Wild Phantoms.
The other "wild" phantoms have all been humanly created. I'm looking at you Troy :argh:. So the implication is there is now a new danger in the world.
I mean, yeah sure, Saradiart is a huge evil villain, but what does that matter to Farmer Joe? His worries are all the new gosh darned Wild Dragon Phantoms roaming the earth.

Anyways, battle talk. Our Phantoms are kind of in shambles, our Garorks lack a common type, and we only have two strong melee phantoms.
Normally, I'd just create new Phantoms, but this map in particular have a secret bonus objective, that I have no idea how people found out.
As has been mentioned in the thread, in order to get a special piece of Text, we have to complete this map without using any Mithril or World Tree Kartia.

To add further insult to injury, we just got a bunch of new items we can create and a couple of new fancy spells. :argh:

To the right, we have this pack of Naga's. Yes, that's not their name, but I just can't remember the drat thing. Stop looking at me like that.
Anyways, they're "guarding" these chests.

To the south, is another pack of Naga's.

And all the way at the bottom we have 7 Dragons. Note how none of the Dragons are Common type.
Something that could be exploited.

In the middle of the lake itself, we have 3 Akrillo's. 1 of each Type.

Just to show off what kind of items we could make. Look at this +4 Dream Armor... :allears: It's so dreamy.
But I won't be making it this chapter.

Oh and remember how we got the Text to create Dragons? We actually didn't. Way to ruin my expectations game.
Why do you have to lie to me?

We are only missing 1 Text too. :sigh:

I also checked Posha's stats just to make sure she didn't get a new upgrade after taking over for Duran as Shrine Warrior.
She didn't get poo poo... I think? Did she always have 4 stat Kartia? Who the gently caress cares. Moving on.

Alright, let's do this.

Now that we can't use Mithril or World Tree, we'll have to modify some of our lower end spells.
The most common lowest resistance you'll encounter this map is either Water or Wind.
The rules said no, Mithril or World Tree, but that doesn't mean we can't pimp the poo poo out of our spells.
Ice Flow + "Ultra" + whatever Silk Text = Ice Flow +4. "Ultra" is really good you guys :v:

The spell also fits this update's Dragon theme.

This is going to take a long time at this rate...

As always, I split my team into two. It's less two teams, and more a main force and a few stragglers, but I like coming up with team names.
This is Team Missile, because I felt like making a stupid pokemon joke. Team Kyau :3

And this is Team Dragonmaster. It'll make sense later.

As always, the AI is poo poo and is moving the damaged Phantom away, even though it has no way of healing itself, and are thus just prolonging the inevitable.

And all these Naga's have been set to "Wall" so they won't move to attack. This is why I don't do gimmick runs like nerfing myself, because you have to actively be trying to lose at this point.

My minotaur comes close to dying and I have to wonder, why it took so much damage.

In the mean time, the Dragons are copying my movements and have also split them selves into two.
So let's give them Team names too! I'll call this Team Victim. :v:

Meanwhile I check to see the Minotaur's equipment and sure enough I could give it some better stuff.

I had these laying around, and while they're all made of World Tree/Mithril, I didn't make them this chapter, so it's totally okey to use them.

Incidentally this is one of the rare few cases where healing was actually a good idea.

So here is Team Dragonmaster's Modus Operandi. Toxa will be rushing towards the chests, and weaken any enemies he comes across on the way.
Misty will then vacuum up whatever bloody gibs that remains for a nice XP bonus.

Misty's attack isn't nearly as impressive as Toxa's, but that just means more XP.

Oh note, is our minotaur, who is actually getting lvls. Amazing, I know.

Here, I'm waiting just outside the Dragon's attack range. I'm hoping they go in, unable to attack and then I get initiative in combat.

These are the more important chest drops. I'm cutting out the various Kartia we get, because they are largely not exciting, and frankly unneeded.

Misty has been away for some time so she is somewhat behind in levels.

I also park my Kyau a safe distance, because I don't want the dragons to snipe it. Just in case.

It becomes apparent that the Dragons don't want to play ball, they also parked outside my attack range and waited for me to get closer.
Little did they know that Team Kyau features Alana, the Magician Sniper.

This is of course a Wind Spell, since this particular dragon had a weakness to Wind.
Incidentally I have exactly 1 Wind spell that does increased damage to Shadow types, but it costs Mithril.
Why do you do this to me game?

Pictured: cowardice.

Behold the terrifying attack of a Dragon--- Err. The giant flying fish avoided it. :goleft:

Let's try again. Behold the terri- Wait 4 damage? Are you kidding me?

Why do I even use magic?

This is much better though.

On the other side of the pond, we have Toxa starting up his fight club with Dragons.
This is going to be metal as gently caress :rock:

Toxa can't quite kill them in one blow, but that's fine.

The plant people from the lake, also joins in the fisticuffs.

Toxa dodged here.

Misty is copying Toxa, and takes no damage as well.

Not to be shown up, Toxa decides that dodging is entirely a waste of time and takes a lung full of Dragon breath to the face.
He comes out unharmed.

Knowing that it's entirely futile to attack Toxa physically, this Dragon says some mean things about Toxa's fashion sense.
Toxa is a strong independent man, who cares little for Dragon opinions on human fashion and shrugs it off with no damage taken.

After having experienced a Dragons breath at close range, Toxa becomes worried that it might have lung cancer and begins to operate.
Toxa is a firm believer in no anesthetics during operation and just starts cutting the Dragon open.

Of course this map is full of burried treasure, but I'll only show off the noteworthy.

It's poo poo and the Silk Kartia I waste on digging it out was worth more than this item.

Still feeding xp to Misty.

This dragon got iced.

Misty have gotten at least 3 levels this chapter.

Some A rank armor. I could have put it on Toxa, but he is already a SRW end game boss, so what is the point.
It's a rather impressive feat to be honest, considering he isn't a giant flying robot.

Let's not drag on more than we have to. :v:

To those that do not read these strange raven claws, don't worry, I checked and I got the bonus objective Text.

I know this is all very exciting, but we have to cut the update here.
Next time, friggin' elves :argh:

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.2

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
The elves are dumb, and a significant reason I prefer Lacryma's scenario to Toxa's.

You found Pair! Yay! You're probably one of a dozen people in the English-speaking world to get it. In the mid-2000's, I came across a forum thread dedicated to Kartia secrets. In it, someone claimed that a Japanese website/strategy guide had mentioned that the secret to finding Pair was not using Mithril/World Tree in Chapter 15. Not the most credible game rumor, but it turned out to be legit. Go figure.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So how illustrious is this "Pair" club and how sharp should I look? Do I get a card? I feel that would be appropriate.
The whole "Don't use Mithril/World Tree" honestly sounds like a kindergarten rumor.
What a crazy world we live in when those sorts of rumors can come true.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
It really does sound made-up. But try playing through it at full power, and the '?' in the World Tree Text lineup will haunt you forever.

In a better-realized game, Eden would have been a perfect opportunity to introduce some scary tough monsters. Maybe the Naga-looking things (Kaliya) or the Akoniet. If the game were tougher (I feel like such a broken record sometimes, but it's the key to most of Kartia's missteps) it could've really cemented Eden's "forbidden land" vibe. Another missed opportunity.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

From a gameplay viewpoint I kind of want to see more challenges. But without knowing the full extent of how the game is going to play out, I'm not going to comment on whether Eden should have introduced stronger monsters.
But the major problem with the difficulty in Kartia, isn't that the enemies aren't strong. The AI is simply not existent. Most of the times enemies will just retreat immediately even though they have full health.

Not only that, but when it does actually want to attack, it seems to favor going against Phantoms, who you can just recreate at minimal loss if they actually die. And it's in your interest that they die,
because you keep getting newer and stronger Phantoms. The Ai also never implements any tactics, like using strong defenders to block you off from going to the frailer enemies.

You can also sometimes manipulate the AI to keep healing, so as long as you suppress your enemies you're safe. It's really only when you least expect it that the game
focuses a human and drops high lvl spells on him. And that only happens once in a blue moon.

Remember the second Cross fight? Were Cross, the enemy commander broke through his own defensive line to attack me? And I could have just ended the combat on the second turn?
If only wars were fought like that in real life, then wars would be really short.

The real sign that the game is easy, is that OFS haven't shown up to do a low lvl challenge run of it. :v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.3

A weird sound can be heard.

Sitting in the bed room doing nothing at all really gives you a stiff neck.

I just realized that I had to make a portrait for the Old Elf. But I refuse to do so before he is shown in proper colors. :colbert:

Wow, he's really not doing anything to disprove that Elves are holier-than-thou assholes.
Well to be fair, Humans, to him are a bunch of assholes who summons his people to gently caress with. Literally.
So it's kind of understandable, but he is also a generalizing douche nozzle, a trait you'd figure old age would have remedied.

Uh oh.

He intercepted the codec call! Unheard of!

Just because you're trying to destroy both worlds, doesn't mean you can't be civil about it. :v:

So we've caught a glimpse of why Saradiart is like he is.
Outcast from both Elves and Humans. Honestly his motivation falls a little flat, when humans offer no opposition to him, considering he can just melt whoever tries to gently caress with him.
He could literally just go to a mansion, kick the owners out and live the rest of his life in whatever fashion he wants.
If he really wanted just revenge, he should just have melted Akueldo to the ground. The Elves really didn't have anything to say in the matter.
But instead of that, he is trying to destroy both worlds to remake it in whatever shape he wishes. So while he is a victim of circumstance, he is also wrong.

Anyways, I misjudged the length of the epilogue, so short update this time :v:

Toxa Episode 30 Chapter 15 pt.3

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I really like Saradiart's portraits, they do a lot to establish his role. Mainly, there's this almost child-like quality to him- despite his vast power, he's impulsive and immature, and that comes across really strongly in his art. Just look at his 'angry' portrait, he looks like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. His 'sad/contrite' expression has this vulnerable, guilty look to it too. Granted, he looks like a freakshow during the best of times, especially compared to Mona, who has a similar otherworldly look to her, but is much more composed and "normal"-looking. San looks totally deranged and alien in comparison, which is in keeping with his character. An example of Kartia doing something right, IMHO.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The problem with Saradiart isn't his rejection by people, like you say if that was it he could just be a recluse. It's his rejection by Mona. He sees her as the only other person like himself, this whole Eden business is to create a place just for the two of them, without either elves or humans. So when she doesn't go along with his plans, it hits him twice as hard, and makes him even crazier.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No Dragon phantoms for us? Come on game, quit teasing.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm inclined to agree that Mona is a major motivational factor for Saradiart. But it's kinda too late for him to change his plans, as he has already murdered countless people by summoning Eden.
So either he has to admit he was wrong, and... What really? The damage is already done.
But what I'd like to know is what triggered the plan to murder everyone except him and Mona. I thought about it on a bit and I don't think we know enough to tell yet.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 29 Chapter 15 pt.1

Lacryma finally hit her rebellion phase of puberty. :v:

"You don't have to apologize."
"That's right! You're a Shrine Warrior."

"I'll become an Inquirer."

We've all had parents we wished we could kill sometimes, but Lacryma takes that to a whole new level.

"Kill Vandor..? But he's your father."
"He has his reasons for being in the Rebels... You know that."

"The life on Idorus is no more... Their pain and agony told me what to do."
Well, to be fair, it's not like that was Vandor's goal. But that could have been the result if the attempt to create Eden had failed.
It's certainly not Vandor's fault. But he is also responsible for the Nordia rebellion, the numerous attempts on our lives by ordering his soldiers to attack us.
So while he isn't directly responsible for Eden, he isn't innocent.

"You're serious? That's nothing but a joke."
"You think so?"
"Yeah, I mean, kill your own father..?"
"I mean, Vandor is the most powerful Inquirer... Plus he's at their Headquarters. The odds are against you..."
Troy, ever the pragmatist.

"Perhaps, but I must go... Vandor wanted my answer. I have to tell him myself."
"I don't want to die for nothing..."
"This is personal... You all stay here."

Yeah, I don't see it happening Lacryma. You have D/C Ranks and no Phantoms. Who do you think you are? Toxa? Yeah right...

"I'll go, too."
"No... You guys stay here."
"Why?"

What is this? Since when has legal mumbo jumbo ever stood in our way of doing things?
Murder a bunch of thieves? Yeah, totally okey, cross an imaginary line in the sand? Nah, that's crossing the line dude. :goleft:

"I see... We'll just get in Lacryma's way."
"Is it true? Will I be in the way?"
"Please understand... It's better you don't get involved. It's for your own good."

This is really the point where Lacryma's chapters went into a total downturn, without a support cast there isn't really all that much room for banter or exposition, so most of the story is kind of boring, until the very last chapters.

I had you fooled for a little bit didn't I? :v:

Well drat, he finally said it.

Pictured: The simple nature of man. If you know what I mean. :heysexy:

"According to the Inquirer Act, clause twenty-three... An Inquirer is granted the rights to exempt the law to designated servants..."
"Say it so we can understand!"
"We can be her servants and she can give us the right to break the law!"
"Then there's no problem."
"But..."
"We've come this far together... It's like a family. It's not natural being seperated."

"What? I thought you're not going?"
"Am I not allowed? I'm still a member of Vigilance."
"Are you serious?"
"I'm not that cold-blooded."
"You made it sound like you're not coming."
"Lacryma and I go back since childhood."

"We'll go even if you say no... Or are you going to kill us?"
"Ele..."

Hooray! Let's go murder Lacryma's dad! :v:

"But first let's eat."
"I agree. I havn't eaten anything since we were on the raft."
"You want me to make something?"
"No thanks. You always make something weird."

This chapter is long. So we'll be stopping here this time.

Lacryma Episode 29 Chapter 15 pt.1

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

I also checked Posha's stats just to make sure she didn't get a new upgrade after taking over for Duran as Shrine Warrior.
She didn't get poo poo... I think? Did she always have 4 stat Kartia? Who the gently caress cares. Moving on.

Actually, Posha has improved quite a bit compared to the beginning of the game. Here's the first stat screen of her:

In case if anyone cares, anyway.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The short hair on her battle sprite is a nice touch

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Posha changes quite a bit during the game.
The upgrade being shown, is the one after the Tournament where everyone (minus Bachstail) got several upgrades.
Then later on Bachstail upgrades his stats after he tells everyone he is actually an Inquirer.

So I figured, hey maybe Posha got another upgrade after becoming a Shrine Warrior.
And in fact, I think she might have. Because she has C armor now, and I don't see why I wouldn't have upgraded her armor to Platinum stuff by now if I had noticed that
after the Tournament. I would go back and take a look just to be sure, but man, my update links are a mess and that's a can of worms I don't want to open right now :v:

I also haven't really noticed her becoming better because I'm having her do the useless jobs like opening chests or be on support duty, when in reality she could be a front line unit now.
Oh Posha, when did you grow up so fast? I'm feeling a bit old now.

Also, she is, so far, the only character who have changed visually.
Well if you disregard Saradiart when he lost his arm :v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 29 Chapter 15 pt.2

It's like a reverse holiday. Where all the bad things happen. So Jrpg Halloween?
Do kids dress up as the cast? I'd feel sorry for the kids who could only get discount Ele costumes then. :v:

Even Ele knows, no one cares.

"She's sleeping like a baby."
"She must have been tired."
"So am I. I want to sleep, too."
"I didn't know you knew the rules of Inquirers..."
"I was impressed too. But only a little..."

:allears:

:allears: :allears: Troy is the best.

No one questioned that Troy would have been intimately knowledgeable about all the laws,
because he seems like a person who needs to know. If you know what I mean.

Troy is also technically correct when he said it's the first time he lied to Lacryma, because back when
Troy was framed for thievery he said he didn't take the Text in question. He did steal some Text, just not the Text
Lacryma was asking about. He is carefully navigating the law.

"I'm sorry, Troy. I misunderstood you."
"Stop that. Besides, you guys have to get ready."
"You mean, kneel down and beg for mercy?"
"I'm talking about when Lacryma meets her dad."
"We have to stop them from killing each other. A child should never kill their own parent."
"Lacryma is so determined... Do you have any ideas?"

"What!?"
"Nothing..."
"What about Bachstail? He left without saying goodbye... I feel sorry for Lacryma."
"It's the same as two years ago... He could have soothed her soul."
"He can't do anything right!"
"Why are you getting all upset about?"
No, that's not be mistranscribing, that's what Ele says.

Flashback time! It's in color too. It was a sad day when mankind lost the technology to render flashbacks in colors. Now we are all saddled with sepia tone flashbacks. It's just not the same :(

"Oh, it's you Kun... Are you seeing me off?"

"My work here is finished. There's something I have to attend to."
"Is it more important than her?"

"Alone? That's impossible!"
"Not with this..."

"If you use it, you'll die like Lacryma's mother!"
"Saradiart is immortal. This is the only way."
"You're willing to die?"
"It's the price for the truth. I'm sorry I made Lacryma suffer."
"You think that's it? If you're gone, she'll be more depressed..."

Why can't you look Kun in the eyes when you say that? :colbert:

"She'll be fine!? She's going to kill her own father! Don't you understand!? She needs all the support she can get.."
"Why don't you do it? You seem to understand her more than anyone..."
"If I can do it alone. I wouldn't be asking you."
"You think you can't? You're just lazy."

"I chose the truth, not her."
"Do you still choose the truth over Lacryma!?"
"You and I have different values. That's all..."
"Don't give me that! I know you're concerned about Lacryma. I know you have feelings for her."

Well drat, Kun just got told what's up.

This better not be a fake out like "giving" us Dragons in Toxa's Chapter 15. :colbert:

"It's supposed to be the divine territory that no one can enter."
"No one? That's eerie..."
"Do you want to check it out, Lacryma?"
"No, let's go around it. It may be dangerous."

A weird sound can be heard.

The sound have changed to a loud scream.

A loud sound, different from the other is being heard.

"Maybe it's Toxa's group..."
"Or maybe the Knights..."
"What do we do, Lacryma?"
"Let's check it out, but be careful. It could be the Rebels."

Oh, hey. It's Rimzan! And he's starring down a ton of Dragons. Lovely.

"Unless I'm dreaming, it's a Dragon."
"You're not dreaming."
"Guess I don't have to worry about you anymore. You're back to normal."
"Troy..."

"It's the Cross Land Knights!"
"Isn't that Rimzan? It doesn't look good..."
"Kun, Troy, help Rimzan!"
"We have to take care of the Dragons first."

Lacryma, are you implying only Phantoms can hurt Dragons? Because, Phantoms are literally the worst way to deal with Dragons at this point unless you're using Naga's. Which I'm not.

"Are you sure about this?"
"Would Lacryma lie to you!?"
"Hurry Troy! Rimzan is in danger!"
Well, only in the loosest sense of the word.
"Well, here goes nothing!"

We aren't that far from Toxa's Chapter 15 actually.

Alright, before we do anything, let's check out Lacryma's stats.

This is what I'm going to assume is Lacryma's final form. Now that she has ditched her religion and being super pissed at her dad, she has gained B ranks in equipment and the ability to
create Phantoms. Combined with her 5 Kartia stat, she cast's just as well as Troy now. I don't quite kit her out just yet, because this is Chapter 15 and it has a similar bonus objective as Toxa's Chapter 15.
That means, no Mithril or World Tree Kartia usage. Bummer. :(

Let's see how Rimzan is doing. Well he has gotten 8 levels since last we saw him, but he certainly haven't aged well. He still has A equipment rank, but his equipment is only B rank. Not only that,
but he still only have 2 Kartia stat. He has also lost the ability to create Phantoms. Saradiarts magic attack really kicked his rear end.

Since Bachstail left the party, we got his equipment back, that's rather nice of him. Since Rimzan is in immediate danger, I give it to him instead of Lacryma.

The map itself is the same from Toxa's Chapter 15. Right down to the lake in the middle and Chests in the upper right corner.

The real and only difference between this map and Toxa's is that the enemies consists of 100% Dragon.

So get some Text...

Kill some Dragons...

Burn this specific tree and...

Change the ground 3 times in this specific spot and you get...

This is the first time the game hits multiple items in the same ground location. And you have to change the elevation for each item. As far as I know the game also does this one more time in Toxa's story, but we'll talk about that then.

And then I won. We already saw this tedious poo poo in Toxa's so I'm cutting it down.

Us? We only saw you Rimzan.

"Rimzan... I'm glad to see you're alive."
"Thanks for the concern."

Yeah, I lost some Phantoms, but I actually wanted to, because our army is vastly outdated by now. Next chapter, I'm going on a massive power trip. :getin:

And yep, we got "Pair" here too.

Now strap in for a bit longer update than usual.

"Yeah, life sure is tough."
"But you enjoy it."
"You can't live life without variety."
"I guess you're right."
"Is this really Eden? The place where God lives?"
"I don't know."

"If it's not a fairy tale, then who created the Dragons?"
"Maybe it's from Akueldo... Maybe they created mutant Phantoms."

Why couldn't it just be the next step in Phantom creation? Why does it have to be mutants? :colbert:
And why does it remind me of Ninja Turtles? Teenage Mutant Ninja Dragons!
Huh... That was surprisingly safe to google. Who'd have thought?

"I didn't know they had any."
"Must be true, if Lacryma says so."
"What are you going to do?"
"I'll reunite with the remaining Knights and attack Nordia."
"You're not waiting for the others."
"No time. We must kill Saradiart."

Rimzan knows how immortal Saradiart is and he got blasted by super magic. Yet he comes back for more? Man, I know I can be stubborn but Rimzan just takes it to a whole new level.

"Isn't it better we go with Rimzan?"
"You're right..."
"There's a possibility that the Rebels are hiding. It's better to go to Nordia together."
"Aside from the general, how's the situation with the Rebels?"
"The fall of Eden made our situation better."

"I see. With Idorus gone, only Nordia remains. Sounds good to me."
"I don't understand. Why did they drop Eden on their ally?"
"Maybe they broke up."

"An Original Text."

"Can you decipher it, Troy?"
"Are you kidding? This is not complete. How am I... Wait a minute..."

This was the Text Troy stole, that he couldn't decipher earlier.

"Let's go and set up camp. I need a place to decipher this, Ele, I need you as my assistant."

Troy leaves, giddy as a little school girl.

Ele follows Troy

"Why?"
"My time has past... It is up to you to create good in this world, but I'll still support you."
Rimzan... That doesn't make a god drat lick of sense.

With that... thing, over with, let's go check out the progress on the Text.

Well that's rather damning.

"Don't worry, Lacryma. The Text says "Human". Rimzan had half, but I had the other half."
"We can create a "Human" Kartia now."
"As long as we get an Original Kartia."
"What do you mean?"
"For example if Ele created Ele, there will be another Ele."

"I got it! I got it!"
"Enough already."

"Say it, Kun."
"When I met Kainas, he was looking for that Text."
"And?"
"And we have the Text. Not him."

"What's your point?"
"So Kainas can't violate the law."
"So he can't be a heathen without the Text."
"So, Lacryma doesn't have to go to Nordia."

That's a rather flimsy arguement, if you ask me. I mean, yeah sure, they're right. But Vandor/Kainas has a lot of other crimes already commited.
We know for a fact that he stole the Original "Life" and "Death" Kartia's to begin with.
That's already enough to be a heathen.

"You're right! That's a good idea!"
"Kainas might change his mind with time."
"Don't you agree, Lacryma? Why don't we go back to Headquarters?"

Well, that was a bust, not for the lack of trying. Right back on track to murder Vandor then. :black101:

Lacryma Episode 29 Chapter 15 pt.2

Sazero fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 31, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You've got a /i where you need a /b in there.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Really curious to see what all of this text is going to allow you to do.

Specifically, if you'll get to create that last phantom in the list. The last time I played this game was many years ago, and it was assumed to be impossible.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I thought I was past those mistakes. This is why you always check your own work.

*edit* fixed by the way.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Go nuts on chapter 16. :) You're reaching peak levels of "disgustingly powerful" at this point.

I forgot about Rimzan's lame excuse, ha. Granted, the game never gives you more than 2 Phantom creators (I think?) and with only 2 Kartia slots, Rimzan would be stuck with Morderes or some poo poo. So it's purely a gameplay mechanic thing that they tried to justify in-game. It, uh, could have gone better.

With that said, Troy is my favorite character in a game I like primarily for the characters. Hell, Lacryma's party in general just has this great dynamic that I miss when I play Toxa's scenario. There's the Duran-Misty romance, but it feels artificial and bland. Alana's mostly interesting in regards to her relationship with Lacryma, but we haven't seen any of that for a while now. Posha's come a long way, and Karis is awesome, so at least there's that.

Also, before I forget, the battle music in Lacryma 16 (15 as well, I think) is outstanding and I adore it. Apparently it's called "Lengthy Campaign", which is kind of an awkward title but the track is well-worth a listen. The opening 15 seconds or so are particularly gorgeous.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

You guys, Chapter 16 is going to be glorious. And yet, also sad at the same time. But then it becomes glorious again.

I think that Toxa's party kinda solidifies into a more traditional JRPG party after Duran leaves.
What Toxa's party lacks in comparison to Lacryma's is.. Well Troy. Everyone in his party is agreeable and they all get along, so there isn't any tension between party members.
His party doesn't have that shady, disagreeable rogueish guy/girl who stirs poo poo up.

Lacryma's party on the other hand is whine central, with 75% of Kun's interactions with Troy, being outrage.
Ele has gotten practically no character development so far.

Of the two main protagonists, I'd say I prefer Toxa over Lacryma, because Lacryma is too polite to tell people she doesn't like them. :v:
And while Troll "Pimpin'" Troy is great, Misty gets better after dumping her boyfriend, Karis is just amazing, Alana was great until she got depressed but I hope that's only temporary.

Besides I think Toxa's party actually have "rivals". I'm talking about Cross and Asty, the latter we haven't actually seen in combat, yet.
Then there's god drat San Saradiart. Toxa get's all the cool villains.

Lacryma doesn't even get a recurring midboss villain.

Lastly, I should just have roped EggsAisle into linking music where it's appropriate, because I always seem to block that part out of the LP. :v:
It's like "Oh wow, this music is pretty good. Finish all the cutscenes and taking in all the new stuff." Then 2 hours later after I'm done transcribing and linking images I've completely forgotten the music.
Unless it stands out like Saradiarts theme. I do have a hard time imagining that magnificent theme being played while killing filler Dragons...

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Toxa's scenario has the better villains, no question. It's also true that people just get along better in his group, which is something I hadn't really thought of before. It winds up being a more plot-driven story, whereas Lacryma's scenario focuses more on its characters, who seldom miss a chance to wax angsty or bicker with one another. I like their barbed exchanges, personally, but it's not everyone's favorite, and I can understand that.

The final battle music is pretty great, too. I'll post it when we get there. On the whole, Kartia has some really nice tracks. I wish it had a few more leitmotifs, but they got surprising mileage out of what they had.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 32 Chapter 16 pt.1

Totally a coincidence dude, don't worry about it :v:

So the chapter starts up with our main character mulling over the possibility of having gone insane. This is gonna be good.

"I thought you were our guide."
"I don't know Eden's geography."
"You're right. Then we'll take the straight road!"

A weird telepathy sound is occurring.

Oh great, this guy again. Is it Toxa's Persona? Who knows? :shrug:

"What's wrong with you!? Was it another dream?"
"I just talked to the eldest Elf!"
"Right... The eldest Elf..."
"This is getting worse by the minute..."
"Did he hit his head hard in yesterday's battle?"

"The world is in danger. They wanted my help..."
"Are you sure you're feeling alright, Toxa?"
"He invited us to meet with him."
"Do you know where this Elf is?"
"He will tell us which way to go... He seems to know about Mona, too. It's on the way to our destination."

I would criticize the characters for doubting Toxa, considering all the weird poo poo they have seen, but you should never ignore the possibility of insanity.

"... Dragons, flying continent, hairy-old Elf. What's next?"

Toxa and Posha moves on

Well it leads to friggin' Elves :argh:

"... Dragons, flying continent, hairy-old Elf. What's next?"

Alana is just kind of zoned out the whole time.

"Well.. He said we should go straight."
"I hope it's not a trap."

Oh hey, it's Cross! Of course he survived a giant falling continent/island/rock. He is moving slowly forward, signifying that he is injured.

"What luck! He survived the fall of Eden!"

Well, that wasn't Cross's fault.

"What happened to Asty!?"
"The fall of Eden... She couldn't escape... I could not heal her wounds..."
"How badly was she injured?"
"This better not be a trap..."
"Idorus is destroyed and we're severely weakened..."
"Cross, tell me one thing. Why does Asty hate me?"

"That's it!? I never had feelings for Vandor..."
"Remember, he ordered you to get Mona. He trusted you more."
"That is because I'm older than her and it was risky..."
"Asty didn't take it that way."
"Vandor raised both of us..."
"But it was true that Lord Vandor loved you more than Asty."

"Asty wanted to prove that she was better than you... Besides, she doesn't have time. I understand why she's in haste..."

Man, Cross is just laying out all the truths isn't he? So basically it was just simple sibling rivalry taken to an extreme.

"Stay away from me!"
"What is the meaning of this!?"
"They will take care of your wounds. Just surrender, Asty."
"Surrender!? What's wrong with you!? Why don't you fight!?"
"Asty, the war is over..."

"You don't know anything..."
"What do you mean!? This has nothing to do with Vandor anymore."

"C'mon Misty! Fight me! My war is not over yet!"

"We can't fight a person who is already wounded and ill."

"I will fight with you."
"You don't have to."
"I want to. We're partners, remember?"
"Cross...."

"Alana, stop them! They can't possibly..."
"I understand how she feels..."

Alana takes out a piece of Kartia and readies for battle.

"What..?"
"We have no choice..."

Karis draws her sword and she also readies for battle.

Oh man...

Are we really going to fight two injured people with all our might? I'm feeling really bad about doing this...

I guess we are :(

So this is the first time we are fighting Asty... And she is lvl 12. The Charune's Hat is something we can create, but we can't get it to +4 due to the fact that creating it requires 5 Kartia Texts. Whelp.

I think Cross actually went down in weapons rank. Probably to signify his injury. I'm feeling read bad about this. I'm so sorry Cross.
Even though you tried to kill us so many times. :(

We have quite a few new items we can create, and this is the first of them. It's actually a secret combo. If you take the Replicated Sword and add "Authority" to it, you get this Kusanagi Blade.
While 33 damage and another 15 to Commons is pretty good, it's no where near the most disgustinly over powered items we can create.

Speaking off... We've already seen the Dream Sword, but this is it's full potential 27 damage and 14 hp per hit. Getting closer.

Also, it looks like a slightly larger dagger for some reason.

Now the real broken stuff is the Dream Armor set. It has more defense than the Genji, and it also has a nice +14 defense to all elements. Sweet.

This is out current Toxa. He can shrug off Dragon attacks like they are nothing and pack quite a wallop too.

This is our new Toxa, Not only is he even more beefier than before, but he can now resist the most powerful of magic

The most broken item we can make by far, is the Dream Katana +4. It heals a staggering 28 hp per hit and the damage isn't all that bad. It's little over a fourth of our characters health back, per hit. It's ridonkolus.

Old Karis.

New Karis. Isn't she dreamy? :allears:

Charune's Hat decreases Common damage by 10. Since we can't improve it, it's seriously poo poo. Pass.

Now this on the other hand I can get behind. 28 to all elemental resistance? Ridonkolus.

Could a dream hat look any different?

Femille Robe is just the chest version of Charune's Hat. It reduces Shadow damage.

Fergaro Shoes finishes the set. At least it's stylish?

Old Posha.

New Posha. Wait a minute...

Dreamy Posha. She has almost 200 elemental resistances in Water and Wind. That's insane. My most powerful spell rests somewhere around 160-170ish. And that's if I +4 it.

Alana only get's a better Dream Sword. Seeing as she has decent resistances, I'd rather she has the higher defense. In hindsight that was a pretty stupid decision as Kartia is the ever increasing threat.

Old Misty.

Dreamy Misty.

Now that we are kited out. It's finally time. After all we've been through. Teaser after teaser, we finally have them.

DRAGON TIME MUTHAFUCKAS.

Dragon General Kyau will be commanding this battle. So I park him with a nice view of the dragon battlefield.

So our opposition is of course these Dragons.

Further down, we find even more Dragons.

And lastly, we have Cross and Asty.

But wait. There is this suspicious amount of ground terrain.

You're not fooling me game.

There's also this lake of Garorks, they will bear witness to my power. They are otherwise inconsequential and can be ignored.

I change my lineup slightly to have Alana on digging duty.

And you better dig those up too because they are filled with Text.

See? Just assume I dig up 6-7 Texts

Now here's what you've all been waiting for Dragon on Dragon action. I'm not going to lie, it kind of Drags on :haw:

So with a type advantage my dragons cripples the enemy Dragons and I have initiative. This map would be over in 2 turns if I didn't have to dig so much poo poo up.

On the other hand if you have a type disadvantage... Well I didn't do this of course.

Alana's Dragons are also genetically superior to other Dragons as they have the "Beast" Text. Which gives their movement +2. Which they sorely need as their base movement in 3.

As much as I hate to diverge from our Dragon theme, I think we should also play with some spells. I also kind of want to get rid of these Doll Dragons who are weak to water.

Peeeeerfect, oh yes.

Let's betterfy it hmm?

How silly of me, this is a Dragon theme and real Dragons include fire.

You will note that this is the spell Cross used to kill off Garum.

Speaking of spells used in cutscenes...

Hey it's the spell Lacryma used to open her mothers grave.

We've had this spell for quite a while, but I wanted to cover it now. Note that it heals 100 hp. It's rather useless since if you need all 100Hp healed... Well, then you're dead.

But let's check it out anyways.

It has a similar spell effect as the one Saradiart used to revive himself.

But enough screwing around, let's finish this.

Just checking the damage...

Oh this is just perfect.

The least I can do, is killing them both at the same time.
By the way, I know it's minor, but usually when we have defeated someone who doesn't actually die, they just kneel down.
But if they die, they fade out of existence. Both Asty and Cross fade out here. :(

Fynus Helmet? I'm sure this is nothing important AT all. So just disregard this item and forget about it.
So hooray! We kicked some severely injured peoples rear end. Go us!

Next time, on Dragonball Kartia, it's crazy time. And I won't update anymore for today, I promise. :v:

Toxa Episode 32 Chapter 16 pt.1

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

I have no goddamn clue what is going on, and it is glorious.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Being an Inquirer is not abandoning the religion - it's basically the same as being an Inquisitor. You get special permission from religious authorities to do all sorts of lovely extrajudicial things the average peon doesn't get to do, because you do it to defend the faith.

The position basically assumes that you are so gonzo for God that you are incorruptible and won't let the ability to put anybody you want to the sword go to your head.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

While that it is true, you don't have to kick your faith to become an Inquirer, I just got the feel that Lacryma did just that.
She is a person of principles, to the point where she would kill her friends if they broke the law.
A person like that doesn't just up and starts doing something they have condemned their whole life (creating Phantoms)
unless their principles have changed.

I could see Lacryma stop being faithful, if her faith was based on her fathers faith.
Combined with her own views on herself after she learns what happened during her childhood (she thinks she's no better than a Phantom),
I don't think it's that much of a stretch. Of course it could just be my atheism flaring up again. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's similar to the concept of a vow of celibacy as a nun. It comes with the job description - you're a nun, you took an oath that as long as you're a nun, you remain celibate.

It's a Shrine Warrior who is not allowed to summon Phantoms. By becoming an Inquirer, the restriction is lifted.

What's coming up is a notion that often occurs to characters who are focused on obeying the law: sometimes you have to get a guy who is outside the system to enforce the spirit of the law.

She probably should have changed her last name to Dredd.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 32 Chapter 16 pt.2

Oh good, they didn't die.

"Do you want to stay with us until we get to Eden? In the condition you are in, you can't possibly hold off wild Phantoms."
"Don't worry about us. Just go. If the Rebels moved Mona to the Encrypter School, it will be a difficult journey..."
"Cross, take care of Asty..."
"I will say thank you on her behalf..."

Now that we are done kicking Misty's sisters rear end, we leave them crippled and defenseless. I have to wonder, what did we really accomplish here?

:siren:MUSIC:Untitled Track X:siren:

"You just can't do everything you want... You must face reality."
"I miss the time when I was a child. Mother, father, sister, me... It's too late to go back to those days."
"You are too young to be nostalgic about the past..."
"Cross, what are you going to do?"
"First of all... I need to take care of these Phantoms..."

Come on! It wouldn't even take 2 turns to save them. Why did we have to just leave them like this? :(

"You know I have pride..."
"With that many Phantoms... It will be difficult to hold them off."
"You don't have to die because of me. Save yourself..."

"You are a compassionate man."
"I've told you that before..."

Why can't we just be big god drat heroes and save them? It's not like they're terrible people... Well okey Asty is a little terrible, but Cross is a pretty swell guy.

Cross is limping here, it's pretty clear he is in a pretty desperate situation here.

:qq:

Untitled Track X stops here

Well now that Cross and Asty are presumably dead, let's move on to more important things.

"I never thought there would be Text in Eden..."
"Unfortunately, I can't make anything of it."

"He sure is hairy... Toxa wasn't dreaming..."

:allears: I like to pretend that Karis have just been zoning out all the drama between Misty and her sister.

"I hear his voice inside my mind! Is this the power of the Elves?"
"What an odd feeling! I've never felt anything like this before..."

"He is able to use magic without Kartia? That's like..."
"Yes. That is the secret of Saradiart..."

"No! That's impossible!"
Whenever I hear that line I always think of Star Wars. :v:
"He was killed by the Original "Death" Kartia. I can't believe he's still alive..."

"Old Elf, I have one question. Elves can create any kind of phenomenon without Kartia... If you have that much power, can't you kill Saradiart?"

Hmm...

"That is why you are asking us to kill him... Let's do it!"
"But how? He is immortal..."
"The Forbidden Kartia has no effect on him either..."
"There is no way that we can win."

"That's going to be tricky. Knock him unconscious? Do you think it's possible?"
"Mona's strength is unknown... There are so many risks."

Oh.. I see now. I think I have figured some things out, but in the interest of not spoiling things I'll keep it to my drat self.

"We should go to Nordia. Our initial plan was to save Mona. If we don't this place will be destroyed."
"If we don't do anything, the world will be destroyed."
"I don't like any of our choices..."

Yeah, what are you talking about old man? Dragons don't have wings in Kartia. :colbert:

Wait... Really? No way.

:magical: Holy poo poo, they're real! Look at these majestic beasts. I want one.

And for the first time, we see a jumping animation.

Yeah, the jumping animation doesn't translate too well onto screenshots :v:

It's rather apparent that Karis isn't too comfortable with the situation.

Karis, you have the opportunity to ride a god drat majestic dragon. :colbert:

Yeah, we'll just improvise. It's just the world that's at risk. No biggie. :v:

This is the greatest thing. The greatest.

:haw:

But there is still more friggin' Elves :argh: to be taken care of.

As you can see, the elves can totally speak normally, without creating everything they say.
They just did the whole telepathy thing to look cooler. Jerks.

They totally can, but they won't because it's against their law. And while they stick to their beliefs the world is ending. friggin' Elves :argh:

How nice of them to use us a puppets.

Hmm... That is really ominous. I'm not sure if he is talking about the person or a thing.

:siren:VIDEO:Taking Off:siren:
You should seriously watch this.

For those of you who have terrible interwebs, here's the screen shot version.

We actually have our characters rendered in a FMV.

I'm going to assume this is Misty?

:siren:MUSIC:SALADINART:siren:
You should listen to this for the last bit of the update.

Raguruzet will have this face throughout this scene. He is terrified.

"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Although the place where Eden landed turned to Hell!"
"What are you trying to do by calling Eden out?"
"I'm going to create a world that belongs to Mona and I."
"Your kind will not allow that!"
"They cannot use their magic against me. Besides, they are not my kind... Mona and myself are the only ones that matter..."

DRAGON OBJECTION! A Dragon roar can be heard.

"The Old Elf is desperate now. Raguruzet, don't do anything. Show them to my room."

Hold the gently caress up... Am I seeing things?

:stonk: Whyyyyyyyyy!?

"I never knew you could do this with Kartia... Is this the power of the Elves?"

"I have magic power because I'm half Elf."
"I don't think Kartia is heathen."
"I'm distinguished and yet I'm treated as a heathen!"
"This is not fair! Everyone is wrong!"

"My death was a good lesson for me!"
"That is why I have become two!"
"Raguruzet, I want you to bear witness to all this..."
"Because you are half responsible for my being."

:stonk: If this doesn't give you nightmares, I don't know what will. Saradiart just discovered sadism. Great...

So the immortal magic elf, just duplicated himself, now not even the Original "Death" Kartia will work against him, as that only works on a single target.
Man poo poo is going crazy. Thankfully we have a plan that doesn't require Original "Death".

Toxa Episode 32 Chapter 16 pt.2

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

It's similar to the concept of a vow of celibacy as a nun. It comes with the job description - you're a nun, you took an oath that as long as you're a nun, you remain celibate.

It's a Shrine Warrior who is not allowed to summon Phantoms. By becoming an Inquirer, the restriction is lifted.

What's coming up is a notion that often occurs to characters who are focused on obeying the law: sometimes you have to get a guy who is outside the system to enforce the spirit of the law.

She probably should have changed her last name to Dredd.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Considering how we have treated all criminals we've come across, I'm not even sure if there is a legal system in place. I don't think there are any trials.
And Lacryma have already functioned as a judge and lawyer, in the case with Troy. So yeah, she totally is judge, jury and executioner.

Kinda the opposite of Christ.... IS LACRYMA THE ANTI-CHRIST? I'm just kidding :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The dragon video is set to private.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm a complete idiot, I meant for it to be hidden. Fixed now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Say hello to the new boss...

...Same as the old boss!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. Infinite end bosses. That can't be good. Unless he gave up something irreplaceable to clone himself that way, or one of them is just Human Saradiart so he can die normally.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
What if the old Elf was actually just Zakuro in disguise? It would explain a lot... (not really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Given how ugly Zakuro is, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be from another world.

• Locked thread