Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If you give money to WWE after the GRR and their unabashed propaganda campaign to paint Saudi Arabia as progressive (slavery, execution of gay and trans people, repression of women) you should take a long look in the mirror and do some serious self evaluation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey jerk I don’t give them anything they earn my money with their top notch programming and complex interesting storylines

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jenkem Delivery posted:

If you give money to WWE after the GRR and their unabashed propaganda campaign to paint Saudi Arabia as progressive (slavery, execution of gay and trans people, repression of women) you should take a long look in the mirror and do some serious self evaluation

Okay.

drat, I am one handsome man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is why i don't pay taxes.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

VJeff posted:

Okay.

drat, I am one handsome man.

Post pics

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Like, I'm not going to tell you that getting in bed with the Royal Family of Saudi Arabia and doing propaganda for them while also going along with their discriminatory practices and making excuses for them and effectively taking their side over their own employee's humanitarian efforts for their crimes against humanity should be the line for you. That's a decision you gotta make for yourself.

But it does beg the question of whether there is a line WWE could realistically cross. Because they've been crossing a lot lately.

But at the very least we should agree to not pretend its just business as usual or handwave it away. It might not be enough to get you to cancel your Network subscription or stop watching but its definitely a notable new low.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've heard people say Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels I at Wrestlemania was a five star match but I think it was ****3/4? What do you guys think?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I originally had written something very harsh and rude but instead I will say that I feel this is an absurdly reductive lens through which to judge someone's intentions and ideological purity and I would urge you against it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whenever I buy anything from the WWE I make sure to note under Special Instructions "Please use 100% of this to pay Alexa Bliss."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MassRafTer posted:

I've heard people say Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels I at Wrestlemania was a five star match but I think it was ****3/4? What do you guys think?

Easy there fascist.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Don't forget this awful loving company is shilling propaganda for Saudi Arabia a "progressive" country. A progressive country they execute people for being gay, trans, or any number of other small transgressions (especially involving women not adhering to their dark ages legal codes). And most of you still give them money.

The silver lining is that KSA and WWE are apparently so catastrophically bad at PR management that so far all the agreement has done is shine a light on how poo poo the Sauds are that wouldn't exist otherwise, for people that would have never noticed otherwise.

It really was a treat to see them release that "WE CONDEMN THE VIDEO THAT SHOWED WOMEN WRESTLING" assuming it wouldn't end up being translated and shared.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neurolimal posted:

The silver lining is that KSA and WWE are apparently so catastrophically bad at PR management that so far all the agreement has done is shine a light on how poo poo the Sauds are that wouldn't exist otherwise, for people that would have never noticed otherwise.

It really was a treat to see them release that "WE CONDEMN THE VIDEO THAT SHOWED WOMEN WRESTLING" assuming it wouldn't end up being translated and shared.

Eh, that's kind of the nature of propaganda. Those who know its propaganda will speak out against it and shoot it down. But the idea is that there's a whole bunch of people in the WWE audience or wherever who don't care enough to listen and will just eat up the propaganda either directly or just over time. We've seen plenty of people try to dismiss the idea that this was anything special or that WWE really did anything notable. Didn't some wrestling journalist compare the discrimination against women to being the same thing as NJPW not having a women's division? That's the kind of erosion that propaganda intends. The hope is that a year or two from now no one's ever talking about Sami or the women's exclusions or that if they get on the show its praised as "progressive."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I originally had written something very harsh and rude but instead I will say that I feel this is an absurdly reductive lens through which to judge someone's intentions and ideological purity and I would urge you against it.

Really? Asking people to evaluate their choice to give money to a company that paints slavery, the execution of LGBTQ people, and oppression of women as "progressive" is absurd? Your cognitive dissonance is showing.

Edit - sorry if that came off as harsh, I meant to portray a more light-hearted teasing tone. I'll stop

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 3, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

roman is going to be incredibly obese in a couple years, like as big as his brother and stuff. Do you think he will still be the guy or will he transition into the "unstoppable monster" role in WWE, where they are always stopped?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/942719683207356417

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

i think it was a really good match, OP

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

boar guy posted:

there is literally no responsible consumption of entertainment under capitalism. if your moral outrage leads you to avoid entertainment media, well, sports are out, tv is out, movies are out, most of the music industry is out, artists working in traditional mediums are usually terrible people personally, you can't use the internet...i dunno what you're gonna do for fun

The idea is that while the average citizen cannot be fully aware of the level of suffering behind their daily consumption, they should be condemned if faced with public attocity that they choose to ignore. You cant do anything about where every single clothing outlet in america chooses to outsource labor to, but you absolutely can avoid giving money to a PPV that is being used to normalize a country second only to the USA in destabilizing and oppressing the middle east.

If you dont want to watch WWE whatever, but at least dont pay to see events that are particularly immoral.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cavauro posted:

roman is going to be incredibly obese in a couple years, like as big as his brother and stuff. Do you think he will still be the guy or will he transition into the "unstoppable monster" role in WWE, where they are always stopped?

I actually made a bet a few years ago that the Usos would be all Samoan fat by now and I'm shocked I lost that one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Re,ember the royal rumble three years ago when the rock came out to help Reigns and then put him over as the crowd booed and rock looked confused/kinda mad?

Good memories, good memories

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Personally I like Michaels/Taker II more, as Shawn’s desperation to win and the stipulation of his career on the line elevated the match to a higher drama than just “can Michael’s win?” To “can Michael’s survive?” The story outweighs the ringwork of Michaels/Taker I.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To make things simple: you can enjoy whatever you want without remorse or guilt, but that changes if your action in some tangible way benefits something immoral. It's the difference between watching a Roman Pokanski film on a DVD you bought second-hand, and buying Chinatown firsthand.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
https://twitter.com/GlennJacobsTN/status/992115101372243969

It's (possibly) Mayor Kane! :bahgawd:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Buying a DVD from a store gives money to that store. They already paid the distribution company, which paid the production company, which paid the bad person.

So if you think about it, that DVD is sitting there and the guy got paid anyway. It would be immoral not to buy it.

Any of you who don't own Rosemary's Baby make me sick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Buying a DVD from a store gives money to that store. They already paid the distribution company, which paid the production company, which paid the bad person.

By secondhand I mean used. Something makes me doubt Amazon would see someone buy a used DVD and decide to buy 50 new copies of that DVD.

E: edited info clarifies, I'l keep this up anyways because it's still true.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Irritated Goat posted:

It's (possibly) Mayor Kane! :bahgawd:
Mayor (possibly) of the Knox County

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

So if you think about it, that DVD is sitting there and the guy got paid anyway. It would be immoral not to buy it.

Any of you who don't own Rosemary's Baby make me sick.
:thunk:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neurolimal posted:

To make things simple: you can enjoy whatever you want without remorse or guilt, but that changes if your action in some tangible way benefits something immoral. It's the difference between watching a Roman Pokanski film on a DVD you bought second-hand, and buying Chinatown firsthand.

I mean, its probably more like the difference of watching an airing of Chinatown on TV vs paying a streaming service Polanski owns to watch something that includes positive spin about pedophilia.

I couldn't figure out how to work the women/Sami part of that without making really big creepy stretches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Another gimmick change for Kane? How many face/heel turns will this one get? :rolleyes:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's running as a Republican in 2018. There's gonna be a heel turn.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I hope Kane ran on the platform of WM matches against undertaker and kept asking where his opponents matches were

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's a shame the election hasn't been scheduled for 5/19.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It completely owns that my parents' wedding anniversary is also 5/19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

:agreed: completely

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

boar guy posted:

there is literally no responsible consumption of entertainment under capitalism. if your moral outrage leads you to avoid entertainment media, well, sports are out, tv is out, movies are out, most of the music industry is out, artists working in traditional mediums are usually terrible people personally, you can't use the internet...i dunno what you're gonna do for fun

Anything involving existing period is that under Capitalism, at this point I've basically stopped caring about the ethics of living in such an economic system, and honestly any sane person would too as there's literally nothing that can be done about it on an individual scale, and the odds of it changing on the macro scale in a positive way are nonexistent

bradzilla posted:

I'm glad that they're sticking with 3 hour PPVs for the dual branded shows.

They should bump them up to 4 hours, cause right now the only difference between Backlash and an average episode of Raw is that there'll be some Smackdown stars on it

This guy is the kind of pretentious douche I'd probably kick in the balls if I met them in RL

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Just wanna chime in and say that, even if he wasn't accused of a crime, I don't miss Enzo Amore on my TV one single solitary bit.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Really? Asking people to evaluate their choice to give money to a company that paints slavery, the execution of LGBTQ people, and oppression of women as "progressive" is absurd? Your cognitive dissonance is showing.

Edit - sorry if that came off as harsh, I meant to portray a more light-hearted teasing tone. I'll stop

If you must know it's more that I advocate for progressive causes and ideals often in the face of insurmountable odds and essentially work a really hefty part time job almost for free because I'm trying to do good in the world and watching wrestling, including WWE, is one of the only things that helps keep me sane and escape the harsh realities of my world and my frequent failed efforts to make it better, hth.

That said I'll end my part of this derail now.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
personally i'm only a fan of cultures where women are topless all the time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm glad Roman lost.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

This guy is the kind of pretentious douche I'd probably kick in the balls if I met them in RL

https://twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/942742464686850048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

It only gets better from here btw

• Locked thread