Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

When I was a kid I deleted all the files off one of the install disks for The Island of Dr. Brain. I wrote to Sierra and they sent me a new disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kongming posted:

It's okay I was afraid of pretty much everything up to and including certain sound effects in NES games, like Bald Bull's laugh in Punch Out.

When I was like 3 or 4 years old my brother showed me the death screen that you get when you fall in the lava and I ran out of the room screaming and to this day it makes me uncomfortable to look at it.

i was super afraid of the mushrooms in commander keen as a small child and and would reroute as much as possible to avoid seeing one on my screen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
As a child, if Myst ever froze I thought that Sirus or Achenar had laid a clever glue trap in that room which I stumbled into, and that I needed to be more careful the next time I explored it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I accidentally deleted my Pokemon Crystal save file after getting the 16th gym badge. I was crying and inconsolable, but my mom offered a suggestion that made sense to both of us: send the game cartridge to Nintendo with a description of how far into the game you were and they'll restore the save file for you. It didn't work but it was a nice idea. Nintendo just sent it back saying my issue wasn't covered under warranty.

lol

i don't know why this story reminded me of our ff6 thing, but my brothers and i were really puzzled about where all the Illuminas were in the game. in our second file, we just couldn't find them anywhere, and we tried every hotline you could call and all our friends who were playing it, but we couldn't figure out how we had gotten them in our first file, we couldn't even find one. but they were too cool to give up! it turns out we had activated the vanish/sketch glitch in the first file by accident and just hit the jackpot (our file also said Fenix Down: 0 and we seemed to have infinite of them), so everyone was dual-wielding the best weapon in the game and basically invincible. it was years before i actually played ff6 normally instead of the in weird easy mode we stumbled upon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I accidentally deleted my Pokemon Crystal save file after getting the 16th gym badge. I was crying and inconsolable, but my mom offered a suggestion that made sense to both of us: send the game cartridge to Nintendo with a description of how far into the game you were and they'll restore the save file for you. It didn't work but it was a nice idea. Nintendo just sent it back saying my issue wasn't covered under warranty.
Cool gamer mom.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

little munchkin posted:

i was super afraid of the mushrooms in commander keen as a small child and and would reroute as much as possible to avoid seeing one on my screen

God, this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the real brutal save file loss is that SNES cartridge batteries actually can run out after years and years of use. i think Nintendo will still replace the battery for you (but of course you still lose the save).

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

the real brutal save file loss is that SNES cartridge batteries actually can run out after years and years of use. i think Nintendo will still replace the battery for you (but of course you still lose the save).

:stare:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

i think Nintendo will still replace the battery for you

whoa for real?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

whoa for real?

i don't know for sure, but it was definitely true wayyyyyyyyyy longer than it should have been. my brother and i kept around an SNES for a long time to play secret of mana and the cartridge battery died, which is how i knew about it. i think we stopped paying attention once it hit virtual console for the wii.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

Cool gamer mom.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I was shocked to find a working save on my FFVI cart recently... It wasn't endgame though...

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

I was shocked to find a working save on my FFVI cart recently... It wasn't endgame though...

good time as any to fix that

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Kongming posted:

When I was like 3 or 4 years old my brother showed me the death screen that you get when you fall in the lava and I ran out of the room screaming and to this day it makes me uncomfortable to look at it.

Yeah, that's the one. I can easily handle the rest of the game, and all the various ludicrous death screens, but that one used to freak me out big-time and yeah, still makes me uncomfortable.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arrhythmia posted:

As a child, if Myst ever froze I thought that Sirus or Achenar had laid a clever glue trap in that room which I stumbled into, and that I needed to be more careful the next time I explored it.

Thank you for playing Wing Commander!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I thought the radio noise at the Ruins of Alph in Pokemon Gold was too scary and I made my sister play through that part.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

The mugger in deja vu and the music for when your torch was about to go out in Shadowgate scared my dumb child brain.

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
I cant even look at the screen in Kirby 64 if I fail the postmap minigame to get powerups, I just shut my eyes until the cinematic finishes. Poor Kirby :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fresh gamer confession: I thought I had Gamer's Elbow this morning because my arm was numb and tingly so I ignored it, I'm now in A+E lmao

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

the very first zombie scene in resident evil where the head falls off and it turns and looks at you scared me so badly as a kid that whenever we rented the game i would just run around in every room you could access but that one and never made any progress

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i was deathly afraid of skeletons as a kid and even more terrified of reanimated ones, so when i got to the graveyard section of Luigi's Mansion and three of them popped out at once, i screamed and started crying while they pelted me to death with bones

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I posted on Antagonist Inc. on AOL as a kid and begged my parents to let me send them 10 dollars over the internet to make a custom drawing for me so I could be a REAL member of the ANT N64 Army. They laughed at me so much I never mentioned it again and would not get my revenge until I was old enough for my own bank account so I could send Lowtax 10 bucks for a misspelled Punisher avatar

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fresh gamer confession: I thought I had Gamer's Elbow this morning because my arm was numb and tingly so I ignored it, I'm now in A+E lmao

Are you ok now?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kongming posted:

It's okay I was afraid of pretty much everything up to and including certain sound effects in NES games, like Bald Bull's laugh in Punch Out.

This came to mind immediately but I remember it being a lot more menacing 25 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxARm_QiCo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm somehow suddenly so bad at Tony Hawk I had to take the tutorial and I still can't even hit the middle score in the first level.

I think I used to be able to clear the first level in two minutes by muscle memory, what the gently caress happened?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmfao, but also respect.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Are you ok now?

My left arm isn't really working so I can't game. Doesn't seem like it was anything serious, they ruled out a stroke and are like "uhh it's probably your diabetes" which is a go to answer but is probably true here. Now I get to be off work and attempt "the stranger" any time I wish.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My left arm isn't really working so I can't game. Doesn't seem like it was anything serious, they ruled out a stroke and are like "uhh it's probably your diabetes" which is a go to answer but is probably true here. Now I get to be off work and attempt "the stranger" any time I wish.

sucks they didn't have a definitive answer, though. Hope you recover soon

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did they give a prescription for a nintendo power brace? It stinks horribly but you will be the coolest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

sucks they didn't have a definitive answer, though. Hope you recover soon
As long as my thumb recovers in time to play Mario Galaxy Remastered I will bear whatever is yet to come.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sending you well wishes Larry. Gospeed

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Make sure to post whatever hosed up monstrosity you use to game in a week to the cop thread.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

good luck to you, Lunchmeat Larry

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s Our Fadam! [Canned sitcom laughter]

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

your arm has aids

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

your arm has aids

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

your arm has aids

Thinking of the classic harm reduction forum post about the heroin addicted lunatic who fell asleep on his arm in the bad way and it fell off or w/e

SolidHouse
Feb 12, 2009
Rinoa is Ultimecia and I don't care what the dude involved in the game said in that video where he was answering yes/no questions by holding up some sign. I don't care that Square Enix has a history of trolling their fans. The amount of groundwork laid and hints they give throughout the story to suggest R = U is too great, and anything to the contrary is just bad storytelling.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SolidHouse posted:

Rinoa is Ultimecia and I don't care what the dude involved in the game said in that video where he was answering yes/no questions by holding up some sign. I don't care that Square Enix has a history of trolling their fans. The amount of groundwork laid and hints they give throughout the story to suggest R = U is too great, and anything to the contrary is just bad storytelling.

haha, you tell him buddy *gropes under the desk for the silent alarm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SolidHouse posted:

is the confession that you're a serial killer