Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Astryl posted:

Working on porting the archive of the wiki to a self hosted one. I’d like to pull the GitHub data onto it as well if anyone is willing to help format pages.

What exactly are you looking for? I’ve seen scripts online that will take HTML and convert it to wiki markup. Something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Grundulum posted:

What exactly are you looking for? I’ve seen scripts online that will take HTML and convert it to wiki markup. Something like that?

That would be extremely helpful

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Astryl posted:

That would be extremely helpful

http://bmanolov.free.fr/html2wiki-tables.php

Ok, so apparently it only does tables. But that’s far and away the most irritating part of the wiki to copy over.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Has there been any progress by the old dev team in getting this to work with d2r or is that not really feasible?

I kinda looked into it for a couple of hours when D2R modding started. Eastern Sun is one of the few mods that could work well in D2R, because it doesn't require PlugY features like multi-page stash or other code-edits. It always tried to support Mac with the item stacking containers it has. And D2R allows for some PlugY features natively, like more merc item slots (well, only one ring slot, but still) and larger stash and inventory.

Porting ES would require writing a .xml and .tbl parser to convert the D2C mod tables to D2R. You'd have to define rulesets for the conversions of each .xml, because some .xmls have altered columns between D2 and D2R. And then you'd need another converter for parsing all the strings from the translation string tables to the new .json based text definitions.

That would take care of all text and rules and items, but then you'd have to add new graphics assets for all the custom items and enemies. Maybe you can use dummies as placeholders at first, just make em all quilted armors and quill rats and chipped diamonds during conversion. But you'd need some new art assets eventually.

I even started comparing the xml columns, but that was as far as I got. Maybe modders have documented the changed .xml columns better by now, back when I looked into it noone knew anything.

tl;dr: Porting Eastern Sun would be possible with some programming knowledge and effort, as well as new art assets.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's really awesome, thank you.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Xenthalon posted:

I kinda looked into it for a couple of hours when D2R modding started. Eastern Sun is one of the few mods that could work well in D2R, because it doesn't require PlugY features like multi-page stash or other code-edits. It always tried to support Mac with the item stacking containers it has. And D2R allows for some PlugY features natively, like more merc item slots (well, only one ring slot, but still) and larger stash and inventory.

Porting ES would require writing a .xml and .tbl parser to convert the D2C mod tables to D2R. You'd have to define rulesets for the conversions of each .xml, because some .xmls have altered columns between D2 and D2R. And then you'd need another converter for parsing all the strings from the translation string tables to the new .json based text definitions.

That would take care of all text and rules and items, but then you'd have to add new graphics assets for all the custom items and enemies. Maybe you can use dummies as placeholders at first, just make em all quilted armors and quill rats and chipped diamonds during conversion. But you'd need some new art assets eventually.

I even started comparing the xml columns, but that was as far as I got. Maybe modders have documented the changed .xml columns better by now, back when I looked into it noone knew anything.

tl;dr: Porting Eastern Sun would be possible with some programming knowledge and effort, as well as new art assets.

Now this would be amazing.

e: but there would be no online play.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I may hop back on. No more radiance on ladder so I’ll try to fix that.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
dang, can't hit diablo.astryl.dev

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Can't ping it, but it works just fine via the d2es client.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
maybe my client is hosed up.

does it break something to have d2r on the same box?

e: maybe i ahve the wrong IP. did that change?

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 5, 2022

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
ignore me. i am an idiot and figured it out.

gently caress, i have to catch up

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I made it easier to download and install everything: <see next post>

Instructions and cnc-ddraw included

Also besides the discord in the OP, the original goontopia discord is located here and has people actively talking about the new realm: :siren: https://discord.gg/aMus7Rx This is the only discord with active discussion at the moment, join up!

Starting guide for new people: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960054&userid=39712. A note: I can do respecs, you don't need the perfect plan for your build. We also have skillbook and stat potion drops so with enough time spent you can max every skill!

Plugin guide: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960054&userid=39712#post514016494

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 22, 2022

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

INSTALLATION
NEW LADDER: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3960054&index=457

Garfu fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 9, 2023

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

A new patch!
code:
- +1 all amu/ring tinker = He + Burning Sulphur
    +all limit is 15 per item. Adding/removing a forge or jewel when at the limit will permanently remove the tinker. Be careful!
-Rares can now roll with more than one oskill
-All magic find dstoning has been replaced with gold find dstoning (armor, helm, belts, shield, etc)
-Stat potions added. Drop from cows at a rate less then that of skillbooks from clones
    -Skillbooks can be converted to Stat Potions via cubing itself
    -There will be a d2hackit error when interacting with a stat potion unless you add 'srj 1 1' to ItemSizes.txt in the new /plugin/ folder
** Requires new patch download to see stat potion name and description
New patch download and plugin folder is in the discord

Garfu fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 20, 2022

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Gdrive Download link is public now my bad.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
oh jeez it's back

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
oh wow and I was just playing D2R and couldnt even enjoy it because i just kept missing all the ES stuff. I think this mod has ruined ARPGs for me forever.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

This is the best install iteration we've had. The included cnc-ddraw makes the window stretchable by default. I'm playing on 1440p 27" with it stretched to a decent size and it looks pretty good. So if the previous d2vidtest glide 3dfx crap was stopping you from playing, all of that is gone.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

For this iteration, I've enabled double dstoning (dstoning a runeword twice, once before applying the runeword and once after) for goldfind and elemental damage, and can do it for other properties as well if desired. In the past it was only available for enhanced damage.

It lets you create this kinda stuff... 1.2k GF on one item. I'm pretty maxed out at 6.5k GF on just me. My merc has a whole lot as well. You can probably get up closer to 8k with a gold focused char but this is my main clearer at the moment as well.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2022

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Maybe this time I'll actually make my ill-advised twinked-to-hell Shadow Warrior Sin instead of getting a GF Barb up to speed and immediately getting bored.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The full install method works pretty smoothly, but I can't figure out how to get ddraw.ini or cnc-ddraw to change the games resolution. It just launches in an 800x600 window, alt-enter does nothing.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Vadun posted:

The full install method works pretty smoothly, but I can't figure out how to get ddraw.ini or cnc-ddraw to change the games resolution. It just launches in an 800x600 window, alt-enter does nothing.

You can stretch the window by hovering over one of the corners. I think for me the stretch icon doesn't show up but it still works.

You should be able to set it to full screen here:

You can't actually change the resolution in the proper sense, just via stretching.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I feel like maybe I'm missing a step somewhere, so I just want to make sure i'm doing everything else right.

I ran the VBS install script, and am launching the game through the desktop icon it created. Changed it to run in Administrator mode.

I unzipped cnc-ddraw and had it overwrite the original cnc-ddraw config executable. I've tried opening that and setting it to Fullscreen or Fullscreen Upscaled, but the aforementioned shortcut still launches D2 Eastern Sun in an 800x600 window.
After setting this change in the Presentation dropdown box, I just close the program since I don't see an apply/save button

I've tried manually editing the ddraw.ini file, setting the window size to 1920x1080, or using the fullscreen=true option, neither seem to change the way the program launches

I can't seem to grab the corner to stretch it, the top grabs the window and moves it around, and the lower left/right doesn't register.

Do I need to change something else to make sure that D2 Eastern Sun reads those settings?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

VBS install script?

Oh, yeah, don't run that. I should remove it.

It's all ready to go out of the box. Remove the -w the install script added to the shortcut. Everything you want to do should work from there. It's forcing windowed mode and pretty much overwriting all of the cnc-ddraw settings. Woops

edit: actually don't use the created shortcut at all, just create a new one, or run it directly from Diablo II.exe

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Garfu posted:

VBS install script?

Oh, yeah, don't run that. I should remove it.

It's all ready to go out of the box. Remove the -w the install script added to the shortcut. Everything you want to do should work from there. It's forcing windowed mode and pretty much overwriting all of the cnc-ddraw settings. Woops

edit: actually don't use the created shortcut at all, just create a new one, or run it directly from Diablo II.exe

I can't believe I missed the -w in the target of the shortcut.

I think the problem is with my video drivers though. I had to force the older renderer through the D2vidtest for it to go fullscreen.

Thanks for the support

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I've updated the install file to just be one zip of everything you need. Unzip it and play.

If you are returning and still have an old install, just join the discord and grab the latest patch from #install-and-general-info

Garfu fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 23, 2022

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Maybe this time I'll actually make my ill-advised twinked-to-hell Shadow Warrior Sin instead of getting a GF Barb up to speed and immediately getting bored.

Report back if you do.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I saw this link at the bottom is this like Project Diablo 2?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I've never played PD2, but from what I've read about the big D2 mods, is this one is the most like vanilla but with a shitload of extra content. Someone else can expound on the comparison.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's a good way to put it. Most of the charges revolve around custom uniques/sets/runes/itemization and a massively expanded crafting system. You can take just about anything and add just about every affix you can imagine to it. Endgame is building your perfectly customized wardrobe.

To compensate for power creep, scaling curves pretty steep. Hard to start out but you snowball quick. A lot of the skills are reworked too. Some of it is custom trees others is just scaling stuff into viability. One great new build is the lightning barbarian where the barbarians a lightning wizard. Plus classics like javazon and blizzard sorc.

A while back I put up a decent guide of inventory management since there's a TON of stuff to keep track of. Search my posts in here and it'll show up.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Do I have to have resurrected to play or can I play classic LOD?

I already bought LOD 3 times - once with the battle chest, then when the cds were scratched code on the cd cases rubbed off. I used some russian site for a cd code
(It was only like $2 in the early 2000s). Then I bought it again from battle.net. Not really up to buying it again lol.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 26, 2022

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Do I have to have resurrected to play or can I play classic LOD?

I already bought LOD 3 times - once with the battle chest, then when the cds were scratched code on the cd cases rubbed off. I used some russian site for a cd code
(It was only like $2 in the early 2000s). Then I bought it again from battle.net. Not really up to buying it again lol.

You don't need either one because we've been passing around a precracked install with everything applied for over a decade now.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Check out the installation post. Choose a download, unzip, and play.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Okay I will look - I like to play games while my husband sleeps - basically only time I can - I mostly use a Javazon that starts off with poison and moves to lightning or a cold sorc - just because I like the sound of ice orb or blizzard or whatever it's called.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah lit javazons are awesome in ES!

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

just unzipped everything and got going in Act1. Game crashes immediately if I try and open the map

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.

LeninVS posted:

just unzipped everything and got going in Act1. Game crashes immediately if I try and open the map

Restart your computer. I was having the same issue and saw something on the discord saying to restart and lo and behold that cleared it up for me.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yep that fixes it. Also make sure you're in 800x600

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Astryl posted:

Report back if you do.

Not sure if I'll make it, so in case I don't here's an effort post about Why Shadow Warriors Rule

Shadow Warriors is objectively the mechanically coolest skill in any ARPG ever. It's super complex and would be a nightmare to balance in a modern games, so the closest you get are watered-down versions like D3's Mirror Image and PoE's Mirage Archers. It's also absolute garbage in vanilla D2, ignored or removed in most other D2 mods, and a completely viable and potentially powerful build in Eastern Sun.

The problem some ES summons have in general is that the Summon Damage attribute only affects melee damage, like Skeleton basic attacks. This severely limits the scaling of elemental-focused summons like Vampires. But Phoenix Strike Shadow Warriors can do just fine, even if they can't hang with the big boys, and they scale really well. To understand why, here are the skill level mechanics from an excellent post that is old enough to vote:

quote:

shadow skill_level for when she casts skill X =
half of the player's current skill_level in X (including +skill adders *now*)
rounded down, plus
one third of the shadow's skill_level when she was summoned (including +skill adders *then*)
rounded down,
with a minimum skill level of one.

This means snapshotting is possible, but no one is sweaty enough for that and ES has enough +skills flying around that it's not really necessary. What's more important is that, since ES lets you get dozens of +skills, it's not out of the question to hit 100 in every skill. This gives your Shadow Warriors effectively level 83 in every skill you have maxed; slap on Aura of Divinity somewhere and we can reach a nice clean 85.

Which is cute, but a level 85 Phoenix Strike ain't poo poo by itself. We can't d-stone our shadows' equipment, so we need to scale it some other way. Let's look at how Shadow Warrior skills synergize:

quote:

The skill the Shadow casts can indeed be synergized! This is because anytime the Shadow casts a skill, she remembers the level she cast it at (from the formula alluded to above). Thus she "learns" (or "burns in") skills, whose slvl then becomes helpful as a synergy to other skills she may cast.

Okay, so Shadow Warriors get the same list of synergies as your Assassin. This means any given shadow can access six of Phoenix Strike's seven synergies (Dragon Claw/Iagari require different weapons), and each of these synergies adds 10% to all damage dealt by Phoenix Strike. There are two very, very important things to remember, and they make this whole build tick:
  • As mentioned above, Shadows' synergies are based on their skill level, not yours. So if you have one point in Claws of Thunder, +99 to all skills and Aura of Divinity, your Shadow Warriors act like they have 85 hard points in the skill.
  • Additionally, :siren:Shadows' synergies are uncapped:siren:. The earlier example from ES results in a level 85 synergy to Phoenix Strike, adding 850% damage. Doing this for all six skills gives your Shadows a 5,100% multiplier to their Phoenix Strike damage.
I did the math like four servers ago and it should theoretically be at least pretty good, even accounting for the lack of d-stoning. I haven't played with ribbons too much so I'm not sure if caster mods will give your shadows some additional elemental damage, but if so lmao.

Anyway the skill is fun if janky even at relatively low investment, so high investment should be a good deal even if you don't crash the server every time you cast something like a Litbarb can. Phoenix Strike Shadow Warriors are also bar none the flashiest class, with meteors, lightning and frozen orbs flying randomly across the screen at all angles at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

That's motivated me more to start my HC assassin. Need to get more gf on my main though. Almost ready!