Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I think Nabster should get "The Punny One" title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Don't you not get paid for heads the caravan guards take? The quest screen said you only turned in 11.

yep. you only get payed for people your units killed. i like to avoid team fights because of it when doing patrol contracts.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Nabster for Sergeant. He has the best (worst) jokes.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Roobanguy posted:

yep. you only get payed for people your units killed. i like to avoid team fights because of it when doing patrol contracts.

You used to get paid for any hostile deaths on a patrol. And there was no head limit. It used to be great fun to lure waves of brigands into outposts and walk in with like 100+ heads for a stupid huge payday.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

You used to get paid for any hostile deaths on a patrol. And there was no head limit. It used to be great fun to lure waves of brigands into outposts and walk in with like 100+ heads for a stupid huge payday.

yeah, it's a shame that the limit was added, but the fact that you can now attack ruins/bandit bases for heads more than makes up for it.

before you would have to actively look for dudes on the road, which could lead to silly situations of never running into a single enemy.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Oh drat I forgot I signed up for this.

I've missed quite a lot it seems.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Roobanguy posted:

Laaaaame.

Fix your game (looks up overhype studios) ... Christof.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Shei-kun posted:

Nabster for Sergeant. He has the best (worst) jokes.

That definitely makes him Sergeant material.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I thought being a sergeant required being able to bellow out a stream of invective for five minutes straight without repeating yourself or breathing in.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Zebrin posted:

I thought being a sergeant required being able to bellow out a stream of invective for five minutes straight without repeating yourself or breathing in.
Horrible puns are a grade above.

You may feel the cursing in the moment, but the puns will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I submit that if you make dad jokes on the battlefield, fate will assume you have a family and act accordingly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glazius posted:

I submit that if you make dad jokes on the battlefield, fate will assume you have a family and act accordingly.

It's the only thing worse than being 2 weeks away from retirement.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Black Parade, days 38-41

Where am I? What time... It's night? Seehoben? I thought we were on our way to Ivendorf. The hell happened?

And who the hell are you and why are you carrying the company banner?!?

...Hired you in Gelb... Uh huh... And this was... Yesterday? Hmm... Okay well looks like you're pretty capable. Good melee skills, good starting resolve. Alright, fine, welcome aboard.

Well, now that we're here, there are plenty of contracts to go look at and get back to earning money. I swear though if I hear one more pun I'm marching the company into greenskin territory.

1,230 for running down some thieves? Nice, now this should be a good contract. The company is healthy and we even have a couple of spare bodies so injured men can be rotated out while they heal. Let's do this.

Ah the sun's come up and the thieves are nearby. Easy pay day boys!

Thieves of Seehoben

They put up a little tougher of a fight than I would have expected. No major damage done though, the worst of it was Sullat's hand and we'll be okay. It looked like the focus on getting everyone chain armor paid off a bit too, I saw quite a few hits that didn't really penetrate armor and caused no injuries as a result.

A pile of what can safely be described as the usual sort of brigand loot. Nothing amazing, but another bow to hold on to for the next archer and a couple of kite shields are decent finds. Time to head back for that payday.

On the way back there were some level ups to assign. Klaus Hoffman picks up Shield Expert and The Nabster picks up Student.

Good money. That plus the few hundred we'll get from selling the brigands gear puts me at about the minimum level of cash I want to carry around. Sitting at about 3,000 crowns is enough to fire a good recruit or buy some nice armor. Naturally, to hire a full complement of archers or good mail hauberks for everyone, we'll need a lot more.

Seehoben still has two contracts for us and I checked in on the noble contract; it's a job to march all the way to the western edges of the map to clear out a goblin camp. It wasn't paying nearly enough for the job, let alone the time and wage cost of marching for probably 3 days to get there and 3 days to get back. 6 days of wages spent marching means any jobs payday is going to be cut into heavily. So instead I look to the other contract.

Must have missed the initial offer screenshot, but anyway it's 460 crowns for an easy job and relocates us somewhere where there may be more jobs to take. Easy times, let's get marching.

Ivendorf, I wish you had been a bigger city. It seems like we're always returning to Ivendorf and it's so centrally located. Would have been nice if it was as big and prosperous as Gelb. Anyway, we're cutting across the roads into the great empty steppe to make the journey a bit faster. Again, I really wish some sort of settlement had popped up there with some roads connecting the southwest cluster of towns to the southeast cluster. Seems like they could have set up a good trade hub city there. Oh well.

You know, I agree with Hard Gay here. I don't really like transporting glowing inanimate objects that rattle themselves around in their boxes. But if I leave it the gently caress alone maybe it won't be my problem. Besides, if I toss it in a pond or something then I will fail the contract for sure. So, I'm just going to throw a few more boxes on top of it and cover it up and we're going to pretend that everything is fine until we get to Ivendorf.

God drat it you guys... How I look forward to the days of having enough spare cash to fire and replace Hard Gay. I didn't seem to take a picture of how bad injured kneecap is, but it's +2 AP to move a hex, doubling the cost for flat ground. That leaves Hard Gay with 2 hexes of movement a turn, so he's going in the reserves until that heals.

Finally made it to Ivendorf without more things happening along the way. I'm glad to be rid of whatever the hell was in that box. Not the biggest payday, but let's take a look at what we can find in Ivendorf.

Still not a lot here, but there is a big noble house contract. That is worth checking out.

Well... that's certainly an offer... I'm not even going to ask how much he's paying for that and just decline that right here and now. A three skull difficulty mission to a goblin den does not sound like the kind of work I want right now.

That's all we can do in Ivendorf right now, so we head out and follow the road west to Westerholz to continue looking for work. The march there is short and uneventful.

Alright, we got some work here. Before that, Westerholz is a forest town so this might be a good spot to find an archer.

Indeed, I have found a capable poacher named Frankomatic to join the company. His talents in ranged defense are certainly nice, though I could have the rest of them allocated a little better. No matter, he'll do nicely and is immediately given a pile of gear we've been carrying around, mostly from dead brigands so he is suited up and ready to go instantly.

Well this looks like a tough one, but it pays well and is only rated two skulls. I think we can do this. Besides, I'd like to prevent greenskins from razing as much of the map as possible. The more intact thriving towns there are, the more wealthy town councils and noble house members there are to pay me more money for jobs. Or at least the city markets will do better when everything isn't burned down. It'll pay well and be a good test now that I have some extra manpower.

The company marched outside and camped for about a quarter of the day. Skipping ahead to when the war horns start blowing this is the site we were greeted with. Two groups of orcs and some ghouls. Well gently caress the ghouls they suck and aren't part of the raiding party. Instead we charge in to pick off one orc group at a time. The northern group looks a bit weaker and is coming right for us while the other group is setting fire to outskirts of town.

The Defense of Westerholz

As I said before, orc young can be dangerous but they don't have good resolve. A few good hits can lead to a fleeing orc, a few fleeing or dead orcs can lead to a lot of fleeing orcs. This fight showed that pretty well, I think, as the center core of orcs all broke before they could inflict serious damage. One of the other things I think that was worth noticing was the morale checks for enemy movement/surrounding. Midway through I engaged the edges of the flanks to the orcs instead of waiting for them. This did two things, first it denied the unbased orcs their stunning charge, and second meant that as my brothers moved to surrounded them or put more of them in base contact it caused resolve checks on the orcs, rather than on me when the orcs got to move. Also I feel like Underdog is paying off for the growing handful of brothers that have it already. Flamester got half surrounded on the north flank and never cared for a morale check while also denying the orcs the +5 to-hit bonus per surrounding orc. I think Underdog may be a bit understated as a skill choice, by which I mean you're never going to see it pop up and say 'hey, I'm doing a thing!' like say Berserk, or be plainly visible like the benefits from mastery perks or Fast Hands.

Enough theorizing for now, lets loot and move on to the next group of orcs.

Oh nice, 16 tools and supplies is a nice bonus for killing orcs. I'll be glad to have those when the fighting is over with. Before we charge into the other pile of orcs there were a few level ups to work out. Grizzwoldicus gets Flail Mastery. Rcharo gets Fortified Mind, this increases his will by 25% and applies to future gains too. Since he's carrying the banner, and the banner and later on the Rally skill work based off his resolve, we want that as high as possible. With that taken care of, it's time to hit the next group of orcs.

Defense of Westerholz, Second Wave

Not a bad fight, again here we see the virtues of being accurate and inflicting morale damage on the orcs, which is somewhat easier when a few of them aren't wearing armor. The only injury was a hit on Travel Log and man, a single hit with a cleaver destroyed his armor and took him to half health, with another potential 20 health in bleeding damage. Getting hit by orc weapons sucks. It's always a relief when you get orcs that are carrying hatchets, clubs, or maces. Axes will rip up shields and cleavers might kill you from bleeding even if you survive the hit.

Nothing remarkable here, but we did find some of the mushrooms the orc berserkers eat to get high. And yes, we too can eat them to get high and go on a berserk rampage. It may not be the best idea, but I bet it'll be fun to try so I give one of them to Travel Log. If we're going to go zerk out, we may as well do it with the biggest sword in camp.

Speaking of Travel Log, he leveled up and is the first to pick Battle Forged.

This will be a standard pick for all the melee fighters. With an average of about 115-130 per helmet and about the same for armor each fighter will reduce armor damage taken by about 11-15 points per hit. Well at the start anyway, as armor get damaged this number gets adjusted. It's a nice skill that slows the amount of damage you receive and can extend the amount of turns a fighter can feel safe being in the melee. This skill can get pretty out of hand if you go full medieval knight with a suit of plate mail and a full closed plate helm. With Travel Log's current armor, battle forged reduces the damage by 16 points on the first hit.

Frankomatic did well for himself as well and gets the Student perk right away.

Hurrah, only two orc groups to fight off this time. It wasn't so bad and it's going to pay pretty well, plus the bonus from selling orc weapons at 50 to 100 each. We're going to come out of this looking pretty good. Travel Log's going to have a bit of a rest since the cut arm muscles really sucks, but he's alright.

Before we head into town tough the pack of ghouls are still running around and since we are still in good fighting shape I figure we'll get rid of those too. The town's not paying for it and ghouls have poo poo for loot, but hey, they are easy to kill and worth good exp.

Roving Ghouls

Easy fight boys. The hill advantage served us well and only that ungodly huge one managed to land a hit. Only picked up a handful of teeth from half of them so we really didn't earn much from this fight, maybe 60 crowns worth. But it's good experience and keeps the town safe.

The Nabster leveled up and rather than go right for the usual skill choices everyone else has been following I decide I might try a more creative approach to Nabsters skill build.

Now this isn't a skill I'd normally recommend but I haven't really given it extensive testing either. I think by now we've all see how brutal the injuries can be in combat. Suddenly having your max hp and fatigue cut by 25% is bad. Having a pierced hand drop your melee skill by 25% sucks. Having cut arm sinew drops melee damage by 40%, etc. So, this is another skill I want to give a bigger chance. I feel it might turn out like Underdog in the sense of I won't actively notice it, like it won't pop up and say 'this injury caused by Crippling Strikes', but it'll still be doing work. And a battlefield full of enemies suffering from injuries is a much more manageable battlefield.

Getting back to town gets us our payment and a welcome break. I think the company has come a long way and is doing really well if it can handle three fights like that back to back and still be ready to look for more work contracts. I wouldn't mind a little break after all of that, though, because Hard Gay's knee injury is going to take a long time to heal and Travel Log will likely take 4 days to recover as well. That puts us a little thin on replacements if anyone else takes an injury, but we ought to have some time to let them recover.

That's it for now, I'm going to the tavern. I'm sure someone in Westerholz is buying the company a round for saving the town.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orcs are one of those foes where, once you figure out how to fight them and how quickly they shatter when the fight starts to go against them, they're nowhere near as terrifying as they first seem.

Also, their cleavers and other gear sell for a shitload.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

I had a level 3 ghoul digest one of my bros one run, but it took like 4 turns.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Orcs are one of those foes where, once you figure out how to fight them and how quickly they shatter when the fight starts to go against them, they're nowhere near as terrifying as they first seem.

Orc weapons, even the broken off branches, as well as goblin swords and crossbows sell for a lot. Probably to offset that you can't loot any armour off of them.

overlordbunny posted:

I had a level 3 ghoul digest one of my bros one run, but it took like 4 turns.

Did you get a notification in the combat log or did a dead bro just flop onto the ground when you finally popped the ghoul?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

until you run into warriors, then they start to become scary again. sure, they're all weak to morale, but you don't inflict morale damage unless you do 15+ health damage(except with a high level perk) and they have a lot of armor.

vvv the flail will ignore shields. double axe will probably break a shield in 1 turn but at least it didn't do damage.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 23, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why you keep on insisting that a double chain is the most terrifying thing an orc can carry considering just how much damage they can do with their two handed axes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Roobanguy posted:

until you run into warriors, then they start to become scary again. sure, they're all weak to morale, but you don't inflict morale damage unless you do 15+ health damage(except with a high level perk) and they have a lot of armor.

Fearsome+Hammers helps a lot.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, I got the designated Bannerman. Time to stab some dudes with a flag.

Also drat those orcs scream loudly. A couple of times, the commentary was completely drowned out by the sound of dying orcs.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Okay, you're going to have to seek out and fight some goblins soon and show off what makes them so terrifying. I've run into a couple of their patrols and they didn't seem to have much going on compared to, well, every humanoid enemy.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

namehereguy posted:

Okay, you're going to have to seek out and fight some goblins soon and show off what makes them so terrifying. I've run into a couple of their patrols and they didn't seem to have much going on compared to, well, every humanoid enemy.

Rule 1 of Battle Brothers: Never fight Goblins in a swamp. Ever.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Night10194 posted:

Rule 1 of Battle Brothers: Never fight Goblins in a swamp. Ever.

Rule 2 of Battle Brothers: Never fight Goblins in a forest if you can help it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I, for one, always give crippling strikes to a few people on my team.

Orcs used to wipe my companies harder than anything, until I realized that rather than chop 'em all down one at a time, it's better to pile injuries on as many as I can and then break all their morale at once. Against greenskins or people, inflicting injuries and attacking everyone is sometimes better than focus fire. One of the big reasons why undead are as nasty as they are is they are never injured, so the skeletons and not!Vampires pretty much always have very good odds to hit you

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Last Transmission posted:

Did you get a notification in the combat log or did a dead bro just flop onto the ground when you finally popped the ghoul?

I didn't check the combat log, but there was a gross noise, and the ghoul's model switched back, it may have left entrails on the ground. On the end battle bro screen it showed the pile of entrails above the dude's name.

overlordbunny fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 24, 2017

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Hunt11 posted:

I have no idea why you keep on insisting that a double chain is the most terrifying thing an orc can carry considering just how much damage they can do with their two handed axes.

It ignores shields, it has a bonus chance to hit head (15%), and it doesn't split it's damage between head and body like 2 handed axes

Also i guess i should mention it's way more commonly seen. Warriors don't seem to spawn with Man-Splitter axes very often, they tend to get one handed weapons and metal shields almost all of the time.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 24, 2017

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This is waaay late but you were speculating about the origins of Turmwacht, whether it's a defensive position or a logging site; the name is German and translates to Towerwatch so probably a border fortification, assuming the game even differentiates between town types when assigning names.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I've had pretty good luck with crippling strikes on archers. A couple of high initiative archers handing out injuries (and overwhelm) to enemies as they close the distance can make a difference.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

It ignores shields, it has a bonus chance to hit head (15%), and it doesn't split it's damage between head and body like 2 handed axes

Also i guess i should mention it's way more commonly seen. Warriors don't seem to spawn with Man-Splitter axes very often, they tend to get one handed weapons and metal shields almost all of the time.

After running into a berserker early game and watching it to the area of effect attack twice because it was able to butcher the caravan help who was nearby has made me terrified of the drat thing. It also doesn't help that while warriors don't spawn with the Man-Splitter, the upgraded version certainty can.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Asehujiko posted:

This is waaay late but you were speculating about the origins of Turmwacht, whether it's a defensive position or a logging site; the name is German and translates to Towerwatch so probably a border fortification, assuming the game even differentiates between town types when assigning names.

Pretty cool to learn that. The whole games pseudo fantasy german so I bet the name of towerwatch to a castle town isn't random.

If its applicable, what is Stadt? Like Kornstadt and the other towns that are named similarly.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Stadt straight up means city in modern German. It might mean something slightly different in older dialects.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Pretty cool to learn that. The whole games pseudo fantasy german so I bet the name of towerwatch to a castle town isn't random.

If its applicable, what is Stadt? Like Kornstadt and the other towns that are named similarly.

City. Kornstadt is Wheat city. Or Grain city as pointed out below.

And your favourite haunt of Gelbfelsfeste means yellow rock fort.

Last Transmission fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 24, 2017

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Kornstadt translates to grain city.

A few other names I can recall off the top of my head:
Gelbfelsfeste = Yellow Rock Fortress
Krakendorf = Octopus Village
Eichendorf = Oak Village
Hermannshof = Herman's Court
Felsmoos = Felt Moss

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This is why I love having some German buddies around when I play this. It's great to be able to give an appropriate nickname for a merc that does something awesome and have it fit naturally.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Cool. Its neat to learn why a lot of towns have Dorf or Stadt in their names.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how all the major enemy groups all feel a little bit different to fight. Orcs especially seem to really need proper tactics to not get run over by.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, the RNG influences enough that stuff goes wrong or right just enough to create extra opportunities or crises for you to have to adjust to.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Black Parade, days 41-44

We begin again where we left off in Westerholz. The company is in decent shape and there is a job offer that has been waiting for us since the end of the last update.

880 for an orc encampment seems a bit light. That combined with the one skull rating of the contract makes me think this will be a fairly easy mission. At least for this kind of pay I don't expect to see any orc warriors.

It's a bit of a march to the orc site, but we've got Travel Log and Hard Gay still dealing with injuries so a little time to kill isn't so bad. I planned on stopping by Turmwacht just to see what was there but I arrived at night time and everything was closed so I didn't wait around and just kept moving through the forest to reach the orc camp.

Sigh. drat it, they aren't paying me enough to deal with orc warriors. Well at least there aren't many. Guessing off the tooltip here I'm reasonably sure there probably six orc young and no more than three warriors. That's still pretty manageable with a full sized force and our troops are all mostly mid-level so they're decently skilled. This shouldn't be too bad. As a precaution for dealing with heavily armored orc warriors though I swapped a couple of weapons around. Anyone that didn't have a weapon mastery was handed a hammer or a mace, just something to deal with the orc warriors who are always wearing heavy plate or scale armor. Swords and spears work great against lightly armored foes, but when you have to pound through 300+ points of armor to get to the HP pool you need weapons with extra effectiveness vs armor.

Jagged Fangs Hideout

Nabster and Grizzwoldicus took some damage but no serious injuries. They'll just need time to rest and regain HP, which will be easily accomplished on the march back to Westerholz to collect our pay. The loot from the site was a little underwhelming, but the furs will sell for several hundred crowns so at least there is that.

Although there is one thing of note here. The sword you sometimes see orcs and goblins use is worth a moment to talk about. It's called a cruel falchion. Falchions are the second tier of sword, upgrades over short swords, and the greenskin version of it is much the same. It has the same damage and vs armor stats as a normal falchion but it has more durability and less maximum fatigue penalty for equipping it. That makes it a direct upgrade over a normal falchion. These are pretty great to get if you can get them early. I'm just about at the point where they're losing value, or maybe a little past that. Most of my team are developing weapon specializations and I only have a few sword users left and with any luck I'll be able to find the next tier of swords off human enemies soon. However, coming across a handful of cruel falchions early on can be pretty sweet. Having a few on hand also means you always have spare weapons and can sell regular falchions for good money. Oddly enough regular falchions sell better than cruel falchions.

As we start the trip back to Westerholz there were a couple of level ups to work out. First up Klaus gets a pick of weapon master. I don't have anyone specializing in maces so Klaus gets to be our mace man. Aside from maces working well vs armor they also inflict 10 fatigue upon whomever they strike. It might not sound too amazing but that's actually pretty useful against raiders or orcs; things that care about stamina and aren't going to die in one or two hits anyway. Fatiguing out an enemy is a good way to minimize the threat they pose. Their secondary ability is a low damage strike that causes stun, making the target miss their next turn. Also pretty useful, though I'll admit I don't recall using it a whole lot. I'll have to give it a few tries and give it an honest appraisal. Frankomatic picks up Quick Hands for swapping between bow and polearm, nothing fancy here just the usual route of building up our archer force.

Before we get far away from the orc camp we just cleared out we spot a traveling hoard of zombies. Some of them are even armored. Armored zombies are about what you'd expect. They are wearing various levels of light to medium armor and first or second tier weapons, all in various conditions of disrepair. We've well past the point where zombies are a serious threat to us so this patrol of zombies is more like a walking pile of exp waiting to happen, so the company marches right for them.

The zombies aren't totally brain dead on the world map. They see our force headed for them and they try to retreat, however they lead us right back to the abandoned hut from where they came. Now we can mop up this patrol of undead and then attack their stronghold and see what treasures they might have hoarded there.

The Wandering Hoard

That wasn't too hard. Fighting big piles of zombies does take a while though due to their numbers and their habit of getting back up once in a while. Zeniel got beat up way worse than I expected. Having a high ground spot vs zombies I didn't think he'd have any trouble. At least we dug him out and kept him safe, he'll just need a few days rest.

Not a bad take from them, 89 in crowns, the silver ring will sell for around 250-300, 8 tools are always welcome, but I think the real take is the set of armor and helmet. We are still a little short from having basic chainmail for everyone so the worn suits of chainmail from our enemies for free is certainly nice, and the padded kettle helmet is a nice helmet too. 140 armor and only -8 fatigue is pretty good as helmets go. It needs repairs so it won't be useful for the next fight, but this turned out well.

Speaking of before the next fight, Rcharo leveled up and gets the Rally The Troops perk. Finally, we have a real sergeant to hold morale together. Rally uses the resolve of the acting character, so Rcharo's, and makes a check to improve the morale of anyone within 4 tiles. Fleeing brothers can be rallies back to fighting, and brothers at wavering or breaking can be rallied back up to steady. Sadly, we can't use the skill to boost morale from steady to confident.

Looks like more of the same ahead of us, though maybe fewer zombies in total. The traveling pack of 18 was unusually large, so there is likely less of them left at the hut.

Old Hildebert's Hut

This really was the same fight but with less zombies on the other side. Even the terrain was similar. Nabster was the only one hurt and he got hurt in about the same spot and in the same way as Zeniel did last fight. I accidentally hit riposte with him instead of shield wall and it ended up getting him hit a few times.

Not as much as I might have hoped for here. The silverware is nice and will probably get around 400-500 crowns. A day's worth of grains isn't bad and the other miscellaneous stuff will fetch a few crowns back at town. If there is anything to make a quick note about it is the Scramasax. The scramasax is an odd weapon, it's sort of a very big knife or a very small sword. Historically it looks like it was used as a viking weapon, a backup for spearmen and a tool for camp work. In the game it used to be a dagger until the 1.0 release where it got re-designated as a cleaver type weapon. As a cleaver type it is deceptively strong. I'm still used to thinking of them as mostly harmless daggers, but they're the mid-tier cleaver weapon now and can do a fair bit of damage and cause bleeding on top of that. Despite their small profile and how they look like weak daggers be a little cautious of these things, they can cut brothers and leave them bleeding out.

With the diversion of undead dealt with and our modest haul of treasure secure it is time to head back to Westerholz.

It takes the game a little to update and realize we completed this ambition before the last fight, but hey, here we are. This ambition grants a Sergeant's Sash which goes in the accessory slot, the slot that usually only contains bandages for most brothers, and boosts the wearers resolve by 10. This goes right on Rcharo of course to bolster his ability to rally the troops, as well as passively boosting everyone's resolve because the banner adds 10% of the bannerman's resolve to everyone else within 4 hexes.

Just as we get back to Westerholz this happens to us. A sword master throwing a student out for being too eager to fight. Well we can accept him or not, but since I'm not paying anything for this I may as well see what the kid has to offer. If his stats or traits suck we'll give him ten crowns and send him on his way.

Herpicle doesn't come with anything, but that's not a problem as we have plenty of spare gear with us. Just need to wash a bit of the zombie smell out of it. With 57 melee and two stars in stamina and melee defense Herp isn't so bad. Would have been a solid recruit at the start of things and with the stars in resolve might have been a banner man if I'd found him early enough. So not bad, not exceptional, but hey, he'll probably turn out better than a couple of the brothers still with us from the start.

Finally, we make it back to collect our pay. Seems like we went a long way out of our way for only 880 crowns, but then we didn't need to fight those undead so that was my call.

Westerholz is much the same as we left it a day or two ago. There is a contract here but I declined it. Something about goblins way off in the uncharted west. No thanks, not up to that yet. However, Westerholz still holds something of interest for me and something I've been saying I'll do for a long time now...

Archers!

More archers!

Gaghskull starts off with a lower ranged skill, but that's mostly from background. As a bowyer they get less raw stats than Leif does as a Hunter, but that's alright. With three stars in ranged attack I am sure he'll do just fine. His traits though are kind of bad. Gluttonous doesn't matter too much, just means he eats an extra ration a day, so instead of the company eating like, 28 food a day we'll eat 29, oh noooo... Dastard though actually really does suck. It means he starts combat at wavering morale, which translates to -10% attack and defense stats so that really blows. Rcharo usually doesn't have anything to do the first turn of combat, so he could rally Gaghskull on turn 1 no problem, but still, it is annoying.

Leif starts out with a really high 58 ranged skill, and a star in it. And a nice 51 melee with 3 stars, so he's going to be a lot of offense here and will develop really well. In contrast to Gaghskull's dastard trait, Leif is Confident, and will always start every fight at confident morale, meaning 10% bonuses to attack and defense. So of the two Leif is the better recruit. Also as a note I forgot to rename Leif right away. He'll get renamed before the end of the update though.

This now gives me 4 archers which is where I usually stop recruiting them. I can only field 12 men a fight, and having 5 of them being in the back row (four archers and Rcharo with the banner) means my front line is spread a little thin at 7 men. This usually isn't a problem, the front line won't really get overwhelmed and swallowed up because having 5 pikes going over the front line really hurts the enemy front line and leave lots of holes to fill rather than trying to circle around.

In need of work and having a wagon full of loot we need to move on and find somewhere with jobs and a good market. Fortunately we're just north of Kornstadt and I hope we all still remember how prosperous a city that is. So we'll head south and see what waits there.

Which of course means walking past Wanderer's Boon and that means brigands. Two groups of them, one of them is hiding just behind the clouds and is a little hard to see. They are both at half strength so they should be easy pickings and may as well get a little more loot and exp before we make it to Kornstadt.

Brigands of Wanderer's Boon

Well... RIP Gaghskull. We knew you for all of one day. But hey, at least it wasn't Leif. Still kind of bullshit that crossbow hit from such range to hit him behind the cover of other brothers. This is why marksmen with crossbows always need to be killed as soon as possible. One random crossbow hit can really ruin your day. Of course, then it was followed up by a pair of throwing axes as well and that was also total crap but well hey, poo poo happens sometimes. At least it wasn't Mr. Yar or someone who'd been around a lot longer.

The loot from the fight was so unremarkable I forgot to take a picture of it, but I wasn't expecting a lot from a small band of six brigands. Following the fight Shinarato levels and gets Shield Expert, kind of weird that it took him til level six to get it, but he had stamina issues and things that set back the normal picks I take. Flesnolk leveled as well and gets Battle Forged for that 5% armor mitigation bonus.

More Brigands in Wanderer's Boon

The other group of brigands give me a bit of a run around before I catch up to them. When we do close to attack the sun has gone down and they had fled the forest and made it out onto the plains.

That was more like it. A couple of hits taken but nothing got through the armor. The loot isn't bad either, another set of worn chain mail is always nice to have and the weapons will sell pretty well. The boar spear is a upgrade to the militia spear if I still have anyone using those basic weapons. Frankomatic leveled up and will pick up Anticipation, making him a fair bit harder to hit with return fire.

Before we make it to Kornstadt it's time to pick a new ambition. Our choices are to increase our renown further, which is sort of renown for the sake of more renown. Save up money to buy a cart so we can carry more loot and equipment. Not that while it says save up 7,500 it will only cost half of that when the ambition completes. The game is kind of thoughtful in doing that so it doesn't take away all your money the moment you hit a threshold. Or we could seek out a famed weapon or piece of armor. I think I hinted at it before with tavern rumors, but there are unique pieces of armor out there that are really good. Typically, they take the base stats of items and increase the damage or hit chance of weapons or increase the durability or decrease the fatigue penalty of armors. They're always nice finds, but can be very elusive to get a hold of. Given how difficult it is to actually track down legendary equipment is I opt for the more mundane but useful goal of saving up for a cart. After the cart though, I hope the treasure hunting ambition comes up again.

Arriving at Kornstadt we see it bustling with activity as usual. Maybe a little less than usual as the town is dealing with Greenskins in the area. With two job offers available I bet one of them has something to say about that. However, I'm not even going to check them yet. After five fights in the span of two days I think this update has seen enough action. So, I'm just going to visit the market and offload all this poo poo we've been hauling around. Let's take a note here, I entered town with 783 crowns and exit with...

4,275. Not bad at all. Next time we'll see about those contacts and continue on. Despite the quick turn around on Gaghskull I think the company is looking really well. We've got a nice healthy roster and plenty of extra men to rotate injuries so we never really have to face a serious down time unless the company takes a real beating.

I'm at a decision point that I'll let you guys weigh in on. With the money we're making now it wouldn't be hard to find some quality high end recruits like hedge knights, raiders, or sellswords to hire on and replace some of our less talented brothers with. Should we look for some elite fighters to replace some of our weak links like Hard Gay or Sullat?

Alternatively, we could continue on with the personnel we have and use the money we make to buy everyone better gear. Mail Hauberks are the next reasonable step up from what people are wearing and it's about 1,500 a hauberk. With about ten front line troopers we could easily spend the next 15 or 20 thousand crowns we earn buying them solid chain mail armors.

Those are my first two thoughts, if you come up with some other suggestions on how you'd like to see large sums of money spent in the future post away and let me know.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Getting better recruits now feels like it'll pay off more in the long run, so I guess go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Let's go with better recruits and play the long game.