Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Or he was like, hungry and there was a lizard there. He ate it and that was a good excuse for you to see his gross ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC beard, giving you the picture of the sort of dude he's become over time while also throwing out that 'whoa, two-headed lizard! This world must be all sorts of crazy hosed up'.

"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther. I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
- Zizek

moths posted:

The anti-seed descriptor really sells the earlier image of the bullets falling in the pregnant woman's lap.

I really like both these things. The shot of the bullet casings bouncing off Argleblargle Angharad's belly is a bit hamfisted, but it's good imagery and it flashed by quick enough that I think it worked well and lets simple nerds like me feel smug because I 'got it' and some of the audience probably didn't.

My needs are simple, what can I say?

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
Zizek quotes are fine if they are direct and to the point, and you give us your thoughts on them.

The problem is you drop the quotes and seem to think that they stand alone and that readers can then make the same conclusion you do. You're mistaken.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Imagine a Mad Max war boys tribe built around out of context Zizek quotes
pure ideology

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Just Offscreen posted:

Noone actually cares what Zizek said, we want to hear what you have to say.

I do not actually exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

The anti-seed descriptor really sells the earlier image of the bullets falling in the pregnant woman's lap.

Seeds are basically present throughout the films. In a broader sense it is a film about life vs death and the contrast between the two "Who killed the world?" is important there because it also leads to the unasked question "Who can bring the world back?" I think what sets it apart from other apocalyptic films isn't a nihilistic "nobody can", and not a passive "god/science can."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The imagery in the film works on multiple levels which is why I consider it will be gone over for the next decade or two or more, in film studies and other classes about how to make films that are good.

It sure as hell is better than that wankfest Interstellar and Inception.

Also the films almost all visual. There wasn't even pretty much a script for the film it was all story boards which is interesting.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 21, 2015

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

moths posted:

yeah talk about shooting the club up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Also the films almost all visual. There wasn't even pretty much a script for the film it was all story boards which is interesting.

Yeah, this is one of the things I think really is a strength. It is a very visual film. I wish I had a DVD so I could post shots.

The striking shot of Max and Furiosa as dark blue while the lantern painted the women in the back in true color was goddamn fantastic.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Hollismason posted:

The imagery in the film works on multiple levels which is why I consider it will be gone over for the next decade or two or more, in film studies and other classes about how to make films that are good.

It sure as hell is better than that wankfest Interstellar and Inception.

Fury Road actually makes me a little angry just because it reminds me how poo poo big movies have been for the longest time, even ones people always insisted were so great and smart and oh you just don't UNDERSTAND the plot that's why you don't like it.

gently caress Nolan.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

TerminalBlue posted:

Or he was like, hungry and there was a lizard there. He ate it and that was a good excuse for you to see his gross ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC beard, giving you the picture of the sort of dude he's become over time while also throwing out that 'whoa, two-headed lizard! This world must be all sorts of crazy hosed up'.

The lizard had two heads to show the environment was toxic, which no one seemed to get which is why there have been so many posters not understanding the halflives of the war boys/what was up barry and larry/why the wives were locked in a vault/why the wives were important to begin with/what is that thing on Joe's face.

They probably missed this though because they were interpreting it as some sort of fertility symbol the whole movie.

Also it symbolized the hunger of Max, who was very hungry.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

TerminalBlue posted:

Fury Road actually makes me a little angry just because it reminds me how poo poo big movies have been for the longest time, even ones people always insisted were so great and smart and oh you just don't UNDERSTAND the plot that's why you don't like it.

gently caress Nolan.

Miller, whenever asked about why the hell another mad max, responds that he couldn't get the elements of it out of his head. I can imagine KMM's fury road room (the storyboard wall conference room) staying up since the first 1997 meetings, and Miller being found in between happy feets just staring at it, picking it apart and putting it back together. That talk the DP gave kinda points to that: half the crew and cast had no idea what they were doing in nambia day to day cuz Miller and his 1st/2nd unit people had it in their heads front to back, not as a script or a movie, but like a mechanic knows an engine.

Development hell, as some people have earlier stated, def made this movie stronger.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

This is a pretty badass shot, but now that I have time to look at it I have to wonder what good the crossbow is doing after the car has already been hit by a loving grenade launcher

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Bananaquiter posted:

The lizard had two heads to show the environment was toxic, which no one seemed to get which is why there have been so many posters not understanding the halflives of the war boys/what was up barry and larry/why the wives were locked in a vault/why the wives were important to begin with/what is that thing on Joe's face.

They probably missed this though because they were interpreting it as some sort of fertility symbol the whole movie.

I dunno! Maybe we're not smart enough to get the underlying meaning behind the lizard scene!

I should probably go back and watch the first 30 seconds of the film a few more times to make sure I'm not missing out on any good philosophizing!

atrus50 posted:

Development hell, as some people have earlier stated, def made this movie stronger.

Truth. It's not often that huge development delays directly contribute to a film being better but Miller is just an amazing sort of bastard. I definitely get the impression that most directors just sort of forget about the movie while they do other things but obviously Miller didn't.

And just look at how shiny and chrome the results are!

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 21, 2015

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Bananaquiter posted:

I get it. I FINALLY GET IT

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Cicadalek posted:

This is a pretty badass shot, but now that I have time to look at it I have to wonder what good the crossbow is doing after the car has already been hit by a loving grenade launcher

Fairly certain those are explosive bolts. "By our powers combined...blow up these sligs!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

The crossbow bolts are also explosive.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Shame on me I guess for assuming any given projectile in this movie would not be explosive.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

The crossbow bolts are also explosive.

Yeah. Remember that guy who gets his chest exploded on one of those swinging poles and you see his exposed ribcage? He got shot by the crossbow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Shame on me I guess for assuming any given projectile in this movie would not be explosive.

Hey, there's at least one. Max gets shot in the head with it!

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
pretty cool mid development article http://www.afr.com/it-pro/george-millers-new-script-20111128-jjacj

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's kind of hilarious how we have a few MRA sites saying this is disgustingly feminist and then we have anita sarkeesian saying it isn't at all. it's almost like neither of them really understands what the word or themes mean

Metropolis was faced with a similar reaction when it was new. So at least it's in good company. :)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

There's also the homie that catches the flare in the chest and falls underneath the war rig.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Neo Rasa posted:

Metropolis was faced with a similar reaction when it was new. So at least it's in good company. :)

Except that Fury Road is legit way better than Metropolis. I would have loved a version of that movie where Joh just left the city, abandoning his father and the rest of the wealthy ruling class to 'work it out' with the proletariat.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

K. Waste posted:

Except that Fury Road is legit way better than Metropolis.

Whoa there, let's not get crazy!

I mean, obviously I love the loving poo poo out of Fury Road, but it's kinda hard to compare the two for various reasons, not the least of which is the various eras of cinema they fall into.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When I was watching Mad Max Fury Road, I was not scribbling down in a notebook how each scene was a representation of the class struggles in 1932 Bangaladesh, I was just enjoying the movie, afterwards though it's interesting to go back and see what deeper meaning the imagery we are being show can symbolize.

This is what appeals to us as a human being as while consciously we are enjoying a film we're also aware of way more than what is on the surface of our enjoyment.

I don't see anything wrong with analyzing this film , none of the things people have presented are far fetched myself included. The imagery is pretty clear cut.

I mean I dunno how you get any more clear cut than a bunch of dudes dressed in white with black dots over their faces which Oh coincidentally , that is the exact symbol that corresponds in the Taoist Yin and Yang for masculinity.

Sometimes a cigar is a cigar but sometimes it's a brutal critique on cigars and how you suck dick.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TerminalBlue posted:

Whoa there, let's not get crazy!

I mean, obviously I love the loving poo poo out of Fury Road, but it's kinda hard to compare the two for various reasons, not the least of which is the various eras of cinema they fall into.

The only way Metropolis becomes at least as good as Fury Road is when it includes songs performed by Freddie Mercury, Adam Ant, and Pat Benatar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

Except that Fury Road is legit way better than Metropolis. I would have loved a version of that movie where Joh just left the city, abandoning his father and the rest of the wealthy ruling class to 'work it out' with the proletariat.

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of how Fury Road is resolved though?

The brides beg Furiosa to take them because they think the solution is abandoning the system. The grandma gang is the same, constantly leaving the system to find a place where they can plant those seeds. When them, Max, Furiosa, and the brides are together though, they have the insight to realize that the problem isn't a few jerks in the system, but the system itself.

K. Waste posted:

The only way Metropolis becomes at least as good as Fury Road is when it includes songs performed by Freddie Mercury, Adam Ant, and Pat Benatar.

The perfect answer. :whatup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ED7Lt1i3fQ

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 21, 2015

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Hollismason posted:

I mean I dunno how you get any more clear cut than a bunch of dudes dressed in white with black dots over their faces which Oh coincidentally , that is the exact symbol that corresponds in the Taoist Yin and Yang for masculinity.

All jokes aside I personally think you're finding meaning where meaning doesn't exist. But if that's what rustles your jimmies I'm not going to put sugar in your gas tank.

K. Waste posted:

... drat you for bringing that up and getting me all confused and possibly aroused.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The warboys do not paint their faces in equal halves. They paint their foreheads black to symbolize their Kami-Craziness.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Zizek quotes are fine if they are direct and to the point, and you give us your thoughts on them.

The problem is you drop the quotes and seem to think that they stand alone and that readers can then make the same conclusion you do. You're mistaken.

I do not expect anything.

When a person describes Furiosa's blood transfusion as 'the harmonization of the male and female embodiment. Max literally becoming a surrogate mother to her, feeding her with his milk' something has gone wrong. The film already has milk imagery, and this is not it.

The parallels to the crucifixion of Christ are many in that scene, so it demands close inspection. Max asks for forgiveness over and over while piercing her side, then she is given blood and reborn, etc. This is where the presentation comes into play - with the jerry-rigged needles and grimy setting. Again, the keyword is redemption. It's not quite accurate to call either of them, directly, a Christ figure, but this is Christian imagery.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
The Warboys all have their own various ways of getting all juggalo'd up according to personal taste and whims as I saw it. The main thing is that it's a generally skeletal motif which has been used since forever to intimidate one's enemies and also reinforces that they're basically dead men already and accordingly give no fucks beyond dying gloriously and being allowed into Walhalla.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 21, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Let's talk for a bit about The People Eater.

I think for many people, myself included, Guzzoline was going to be the central concept of this film. Certainly in Road Warrior it was. I figured 'The guy that controls all the Guzzoline' would have more clout, but in the film he's a surprisingly impotent character. His gimp leg is so horribly mutated he needs help getting into his own rig. The only time guzzoline is really mentioned is when Furiosa tries to make good on the deal with the bikers using the fuel pod, and when the People Eater is complaining about the Guzzoline wasted (by the way, was I imagining it or was his tally of losses mention 'Three thousand gallons of guzzoline' which not-so-coincidentally was what was in the fuel pod Furiosa offered? I wonder if they saw/knew the fuel pod exploded, and thus People Eater was factoring that into his losses.

In a way he was the most pragmatic leader; while Bullet Farmer complains "All this for a family squabble" and is too impatient to wait for the rest of the War party, People Eater is complaining about how much it all costs. I think one of the wives even says, "Here comes The People Eater, come to tally the cost" or something. In a world where everything is scarce, you would think his voice would be the most logical, but ironically it is the most impotent. Bullet Farmer doesn't care about the cost; worrying about Guzzoline, widgets and infoburgers just makes people hesitant and indecisive. Immortan Joe doesn't care because his wives are more valuable to him than anything else on the wasteland.

I kind of imagine this guy writing up detailed ledgers and formulas for various convoys, working out the practical value of a pursuit vehicle in guzzoline, manpower, and time, and the optimal routes and schedules to run. But on the other hand, he's also very twisted looking. It is not imposing enough to have a villain be evil through ethical ambivalence, they gotta be gross in some moral way too. He's the only one wearing an actual suit, but he's got holes cut in it for his pierced man tits to hang out. He also goes out of the way to run over Valkyrie by grabbing the steering wheel and swerving over. He looks extremely gleeful during this.. So while they briefly characterize him as bean-counter he's also gotta be some kind of Baron Harkkonen sadist as well.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TerminalBlue posted:

All jokes aside I personally think you're finding meaning where meaning doesn't exist. But if that's what rustles your jimmies I'm not going to put sugar in your gas tank.

... drat you for bringing that up and getting me all confused and possibly aroused.

You're talking about a tradition that's been used for centuries, War Paint. Of course it's symbolic it'd be silly to be dismissive of it. Black War Paint on the face was used by Native American's on the face to symbolize strength.

I mean we're talking about a Australian director and in his film , members of a tribe use body paint similar to Aboriginal Body painting.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The warboys do not paint their faces in equal halves. They paint their foreheads black to symbolize their Kami-Craziness.

I do not expect anything.

When a person describes Furiosa's blood transfusion as 'the harmonization of the male and female embodiment. Max literally becoming a surrogate mother to her, feeding her with his milk' something has gone wrong. The film already has milk imagery, and this is not it.

The parallels to the crucifixion of Christ are many in that scene, so it demands close inspection. Max asks for forgiveness over and over while piercing her side, then she is given blood and reborn, etc. This is where the presentation comes into play - with the jerry-rigged needles and grimy setting. Again, the keyword is redemption. It's not quite accurate to call either of them, directly, a Christ figure, but this is Christian imagery.

It comes back to the idea of nourishment and nature that's why I say it's symbolic of her accepting her feminine side as well as the masculine aspects of her nature. Max becomes a surrogate to her. It's a completely reasonable reasoning if we're discussing that specific type of specific imagery.

I agree with the Christian imagery as well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"haha, man, just, like, interpret a film however you want. death of the author, right? haha"

~ Roland Barthes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love that The Citadel, Gas Town, and The Bullet Farm apparently steal vehicles from each other.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Being painted all white is also something I've seen various tribes do, sometimes to represent ghosts are the undead.

It is extremely fitting for the Warboys, since they are living a half-life, in a way they are already dead.

And probably telling a bunch of orphaned, cancer-riddled teenage boys "Follow me and you'll have an afterlife full of sexy waifus just like I do now" probably is not a hard sell.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

It looks cool as hell and shows Furiosa and Ace working in tandem and that's awesome. But yeah, when I watch that .gif I have to imagine the crossbow bolt had some kind of Rambo explosive arrow head attached to it or was at least aimed at the driver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Panfilo posted:

Let's talk for a bit about The People Eater.

I think for many people, myself included, Guzzoline was going to be the central concept of this film. Certainly in Road Warrior it was. I figured 'The guy that controls all the Guzzoline' would have more clout, but in the film he's a surprisingly impotent character. His gimp leg is so horribly mutated he needs help getting into his own rig. The only time guzzoline is really mentioned is when Furiosa tries to make good on the deal with the bikers using the fuel pod, and when the People Eater is complaining about the Guzzoline wasted (by the way, was I imagining it or was his tally of losses mention 'Three thousand gallons of guzzoline' which not-so-coincidentally was what was in the fuel pod Furiosa offered? I wonder if they saw/knew the fuel pod exploded, and thus People Eater was factoring that into his losses.

In a way he was the most pragmatic leader; while Bullet Farmer complains "All this for a family squabble" and is too impatient to wait for the rest of the War party, People Eater is complaining about how much it all costs. I think one of the wives even says, "Here comes The People Eater, come to tally the cost" or something. In a world where everything is scarce, you would think his voice would be the most logical, but ironically it is the most impotent. Bullet Farmer doesn't care about the cost; worrying about Guzzoline, widgets and infoburgers just makes people hesitant and indecisive. Immortan Joe doesn't care because his wives are more valuable to him than anything else on the wasteland.

I kind of imagine this guy writing up detailed ledgers and formulas for various convoys, working out the practical value of a pursuit vehicle in guzzoline, manpower, and time, and the optimal routes and schedules to run. But on the other hand, he's also very twisted looking. It is not imposing enough to have a villain be evil through ethical ambivalence, they gotta be gross in some moral way too. He's the only one wearing an actual suit, but he's got holes cut in it for his pierced man tits to hang out. He also goes out of the way to run over Valkyrie by grabbing the steering wheel and swerving over. He looks extremely gleeful during this.. So while they briefly characterize him as bean-counter he's also gotta be some kind of Baron Harkkonen sadist as well.

I brought it up before but I thought it was a pretty funny that he had no nose. With the adage of " Cut off your nose to spite your face" and how businesses operate now in the short term view of things.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Neo Rasa posted:

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of how Fury Road is resolved though?

The brides beg Furiosa to take them because they think the solution is abandoning the system. The grandma gang is the same, constantly leaving the system to find a place where they can plant those seeds. When them, Max, Furiosa, and the brides are together though, they have the insight to realize that the problem isn't a few jerks in the system, but the system itself.

Except the ending of Metropolis already, really is that it's not the system that is bad, just a bunch of bad eggs and one evil pagan-Jew creating oppression and exploitation. The entire symbolic structure of the spirituality expressed in Metropolis - which is literally conveyed in a Christian bastarderization of a Hebrew myth, the Tower of Babel - is conveyed through this idea of reconciliation, that the Heart needs to be an intermediary between the Head and the Hands. Note, that implicit in this metaphor is not that 'the body is wrong.' The film has no opinion on the architects who commission the Tower of Babel, or whether they desire what they want out of personal satisfaction or for the betterment of their brothers. It's just that the body 'is sick' or 'isn't working properly.' In contrast, Christian apocalyptic and paganistic symbolism is essential to the way Lang presents Joh's epiphany of the suffering of the workers, as well as Rotwang's use of Hel to not simply 'keep the workers under control,' but to accelerate class violence and total anarchy. The movie ends with him falling off a church to his doom while chasing the chaste, white virgin.

What Fury Road presents is a political spectrum that ranges from abdication (fleeing desperately from the problem, in search of some naive, perfect place) to rebellion without regard for the 'pragmatic' outcome. That Furiosa and Rotwang both have robot hands should tell you about as much as you need to know about which film really sympathizes with the oppressed, and which is simply attempting a liberal reconciliation with the oppressive regime, maintaining it completely.

It's the best song in the whole movie, and it comes way too soon and reprises way too late.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The People Eater also delivers the most on-the-nose (heh) war analogy line when, after rattling off the costs (all resources, not lives), he states "And now you've got us stuck in this quagmire!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Hollismason posted:

You're talking about a tradition that's been used for centuries, War Paint. Of course it's symbolic it'd be silly to be dismissive of it. Black War Paint on the face was used by Native American's on the face.

Yeah, totally. That's pretty much what I said, albeit in a post after the one you're quoting.

I just disagree with your Yin and Yang interpretation. Seems a little too deep when there's already a perfectly effective surface meaning to it all. But like I said, go hog wild if that's your thing!

AndyElusive posted:

It looks cool as hell and shows Furiosa and Ace working in tandem and that's awesome.

Poor Ace, man. Makes me sad every time. :(

• Locked thread