Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, I had a pretty AMERICA! day. It started with a Bald Eagle flying over a traffic jam, and continued from there.

Quantity has a Quality.

This is my Blue Angels picture, there are many others like this Blue Angels picture, but this one is Mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrChips posted:

The biggest problem with the X-32 was that Boeing found out a fair ways into the design phase that it was going to be a total dog, so the submitted production design ended up being dramatically different to the X-32 by the time of the flyoff, whereas the X-35 was seen as the safe, conservative choice, if you can believe it.

True that, they changed midstream from going with the Pelikan tail to the more conventional setup etc.

It sounded like the main detraction on the X-35 was the iffy setup with the mid ducted fan requiring the large linkage or whatever. The X-32 was more similar to the harrier for svotl as noted above. But, sucked balls when not trying to land vertically over a large grate.

I like the x-32 but I loved the YF-23. Poor loser planes :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, I had a pretty AMERICA! day. It started with a Bald Eagle flying over a traffic jam, and continued from there.

Quantity has a Quality.

This is my Blue Angels picture, there are many others like this Blue Angels picture, but this one is Mine.

KSUS airshow? I worked Fat Albert going in last night.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Platystemon posted:

STOVL is a Soviet plot to sabotage NATO aviation. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

So sayeth Bill Sweetman

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

fknlo posted:

KSUS airshow? I worked Fat Albert going in last night.

Yup. Really good show. Year before last the traffic handling was so bad we ended up just abandoning the car by the side of the road and watching the show from a field at the end of the runway. This year, traffic was competent, weather was insanely perfect, and some really great stuff at the show. Sad I missed the saturday B-1 and B-2 flyover, but sunday was excellent.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mmm that's some nice exhaust right there. Next time there's a "post plane butts" thing happening you can post this, that baby is working it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Poor loser planes :(

Still my favourite loser plane:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

priznat posted:

but I loved the YF-23. Poor loser planes :(
That thing was a serious sex machine and to be honest we should have just bought both god damnit :colbert:
I'm totally working to blow my :homebrew: tax payer wad on those two.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Davin Valkri posted:

You get PBY Catalinas and Short Sunderlands.

Pfft. The Catalina is a good plane for what it was designed for.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey look it's time to list some good airplanes that are also boats:

CL-215 / 415

Goose

Turbo Beaver

Super Cub

Basically everything else that has a seaworthy fuselage or is mounted on pontoons. Doubly so if they're amphibious so you can land them on runways, too.

Planes that are also boats are cool and good and not lovely at all, unlike amphibious cars and VTOL fixed wings :colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Dornier Do.24-ATT is my favorite flying boat. Goddamned shame they only made the one. All the Do.24s own though, and flying boats in general are awesome. :colbert:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 16, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

EvilJoven posted:

Basically everything else that has a seaworthy fuselage or is mounted on pontoons. Doubly so if they're amphibious so you can land them on runways, too.

Planes that are also boats are cool and good and not lovely at all, unlike amphibious cars and VTOL fixed wings :colbert:

If you can take off in less than the length of a fighter plane, does that qualify as STOL? I can think of some cubs that can do that...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nerobro posted:

If you can take off in less than the length of a fighter plane, does that qualify as STOL? I can think of some cubs that can do that...

Should've bought these for the USMC. They'd be as useful as the F-35B.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Are there any WWII era Japanese floatplanes still flying?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

When was the last major production (ie not some fibreglass kitbash job) flying boat? They are cool but everyone kind of realized how they're pretty limited in functionality. Gotta have pretty calm conditions to put down or take off safely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

When was the last major production (ie not some fibreglass kitbash job) flying boat? They are cool but everyone kind of realized how they're pretty limited in functionality. Gotta have pretty calm conditions to put down or take off safely.

Bombardier stopped building the 415 last year according to wikipedia. Only double digits built though.

If we go down to single digits but still a "real" plane then the JMSDF is building one:

Oh and China is working on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B814NrWm95M

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

priznat posted:

Japan is still building US-2's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShinMaywa_US-2

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well that's pretty interesting, I would not have expected it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Flying boat talk and no SeaMaster? For shame.

Why do 'sublimely beautiful aircraft' and 'ridiculous internecine boondoggle' so often have to intersect? :sigh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Flying boats ain't poo poo unless they're supersonic.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sometimes there's just a bit too much navy in naval aviation.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

priznat posted:

When was the last major production (ie not some fibreglass kitbash job) flying boat?

Former Soviet design bureau turned commercial company Berievwas building big jet flying boats into the early '90s, seem to have a little 7-seat one in production, and are trying to drum up interest for concepts for flying boats of every size, up to a monater witha thousand-tonne payload. :eek:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Enourmo posted:

Flying boats ain't poo poo unless they're supersonic.

Still prettier:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

Still prettier:

Holy. poo poo.

What is that?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The best looking of the Schneider Trophy planes, the Piaggio P7.
Unfortunately, it had some technical issues it couldn't overcome. It used the same engine to run the water prop to get the aircraft up onto its hydrofoils, and the clutch system to switch from the water prop to the air prop (and unfeather it) wasn't fast or strong enough.
However, all the post-WWI Schneider Trophy planes are gorgeous.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 16, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Of COURSE it's a Piaggio. :allears:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Of COURSE it had some technical issues it couldn't overcome. :allears:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
All these seaplanes and no Beriev :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBv_6A7OOVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZgWjxYTJS8

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Flying boats would be a lot more popular if WW2 didn't create a ton of paved runways capable of allowing such large aircraft to take off and land

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
To the original point, though, as cool as boat-planes are, they're not very great as either. No one takes their boat-plane and cruises around in it as a boat, and while they function as planes, they're not exactly aerobatic or terribly efficient.

But, like, they loving rule anyway.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

rscott posted:

Flying boats would be a lot more popular if WW2 didn't create a ton of paved runways capable of allowing such large aircraft to take off and land

More popular until basic economics led to all destinations of any significance rapidly developing runways.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Eat your heart out, Sully.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Colonial Air Force posted:

To the original point, though, as cool as boat-planes are, they're not very great as either. No one takes their boat-plane and cruises around in it as a boat, and while they function as planes, they're not exactly aerobatic or terribly efficient.

But, like, they loving rule anyway.

If they had some mechanism for driving a water screw*, it'd probably be a lot more efficient than running the props. You bet your rear end I'd go for a nice cruise on a lake, then hop over to a river/the ocean for some fishing or whatever.

Actually a waterjet would probably be easier to make aerodynamically clean. :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Six posts above ya, bub. Though TBF I was on mobile at the time and couldn't be arsed to post pictures.

This cute lil' guy is currently in production:

Not so great as a boat, sure, but it'd be perfect for flying out to your yacht or remote fishing cabin/wilderness retreat.

And they're just looking for an excuse to build the 2500-metric-ton God of hybrid ekranoplans on the right (i.e., can fly like a normal airplane at reduced load) with a carrying capacity of a thousand tonnes (note the AN-225 for scale):

Both amphibians, of course -- a pure flying boat with no land capability is indeed a bit useless these days.

Enourmo posted:

If they had some mechanism for driving a water screw*, it'd probably be a lot more efficient than running the props. You bet your rear end I'd go for a nice cruise on a lake, then hop over to a river/the ocean for some fishing or whatever.

If I had the billion dollars to restore and operate a Do. 24 as a private yacht, I'd make a way to mount a couple of little outboard motors on the sponsons. Sure, it wouldn't be fast, but it's a 70-foot yacht/party barge, not a bass boat. And if you do want to have a drag race, clear the decks and fire up the flying engines. :getin:

Also I'd put a bunch of sockets on top of the wing for the legs of a charcoal grill and various patio furniture to fit into.

Of course, keeping the original wing, even though it is a bit less efficient than the one on the ATT, just to have "deck" space:

Keep the original engines (or put the turbines in the original mounts), and the nacelles probably have plenty of storage space for folding patio furniture:

Also see how you get up there, stairs concealed in the sides of the center nacelle. Clever.

Some drop-down railings along the edges would probably be a good idea, too.

And of course, a fighting chair in the tail turret. :coolfish:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Delivery McGee posted:

If I had the billion dollars to restore and operate a Do. 24 as a private yacht, I'd make a way to mount a couple of little outboard motors on the sponsons. Sure, it wouldn't be fast, but it's a 70-foot yacht/party barge, not a bass boat. And if you do want to have a drag race, clear the decks and fire up the flying engines. :getin:

Also I'd put a bunch of sockets on top of the wing for the legs of a charcoal grill and various patio furniture to fit into.

Of course, keeping the original wing, even though it is a bit less efficient than the one on the ATT, just to have "deck" space:

Keep the original engines (or put the turbines in the original mounts), and the nacelles probably have plenty of storage space for folding patio furniture:

Also see how you get up there, stairs concealed in the sides of the center nacelle. Clever.

Some drop-down railings along the edges would probably be a good idea, too.

And of course, a fighting chair in the tail turret. :coolfish:

:):respek::)

I like the cut of your jib.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's never not time for the Incredible Flying Yacht! (POSSIBLY NSFW; there's 50's risque, within.)

:allears:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/O8ZeYWy.gifv

Can anyone ID the plane?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

J-3 Cub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

It's never not time for the Incredible Flying Yacht! (POSSIBLY NSFW; there's 50's risque, within.)

:allears:

P sure bikini pics published in a national magazine c. 1950 are SFW these days, especially if your boss also cares about old airplanes.

Wiki says it's only 50 feet long, but that pilot looks tiny even compared to the helmets in, say, a Mudhen. Weird.

Terrible Robot posted:

:):respek::)

I like the cut of your jib.
"Have to have smooth water"? gently caress it, we'll do it live. Here's some OG Do 24s in less-than-perfect conditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8JMbe9ljU
Note 17-20 seconds in, where I'm pretty sure the crew also earned their u-boat certification -- the hull/fuselage is entirely decks awash at best, only the wing and empennage above water.

The best flying boat that never was (well, actually, was in triplicate, but then BOAC took jets instead, and they rotted away in storage before they could find a buyer) was the Saunders-Roe Princess. And what a pretty princess she was:

That'd make a hell of a flying/floating palace.

Taking that to the extreme, here's a 1946 Timken Bearings ad:

The part of me that paid attention in my semester of intro to engineering hates it, because it really should be riding lower in the water.

Kinda surprised no Russian oligarch has bought one of the big modern Berievs as a private jet/yacht. Or as a dinghy for his capital-ship-sized "yacht".