Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rascyc posted:

Is that normally how the trilogies start? I really liked E&L and was so so on Shallie

Oh I missed the edit. Yeah that makes sense.

I've said this a bunch of times in the thread but I actually preferred Ayesha to the other games in the Dusk trilogy because:
1) I enjoyed the characters more.
2) The time management had a point, unlike the extremely lenient / nonexisting ones in the other games.

E&L and Shallie definitely had better fighting systems, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

these kinds of posts are just as creepy and annoying as the real thing tbh

also dream team was bad, paper jam is good

Poe's Law and all that.

It figures that just as I start Atelier Shallie a new one comes out that my roommate will play and make me want to play instead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Ooh, I finally have a question I can ask here again.

What's the verdict on the Mario and Luigi games beyond Bowser's Inside Story? That's as far as I got and all I know is Sticker Star being a hot mess.

I enjoyed Paper Jam a lot aside from the Papercraft battles and some of the required missions. It doesn't have any original characters, but what it does with existing Mario characters is pretty nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sophie's time management is literally nonexistent. It looks like they planned it at some point (there's an LP system that is entirely vestigial for example) but basically you have as much time as you want to do whatever you want. The average combat difficulty is a little higher than normal and it has a Despair mode if you really want your chill alchemy game to be brutal as poo poo but by and large it's a game to buy if you want to craft rather than be challenged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, a quick rundown of Sophie pros and cons:

PROS:
Alchemy Inventory Tetris.
Really quickly paced, it doesn't take long to get to the fun parts.
Alchemy Inventory Tetris!
Mostly lighthearted and cute.
Alchemy Inventory Tetris!!
Lots of crafting opportunities and a reasonably fun method of getting new recipes
ALCHEMY INVENTORY TETRIS
Great soundtrack
ALCHEMY. INVENTORY. TETRIS.

CONS:
Pretty small amount of monsters who are largely too similar.
Kinda bland environments.
Sense of progression is a little odd and it feels like long gaps between new things
Characters are pretty by the numbers and unexceptional and the story is basically not there at all.
Graphics aren't really improved, it's a PS4 title in name only
Combat is pretty average
Alchemy Inventory Tetris tends to revolve around using the Expert Cauldron 70% of the time that I found.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

All Atelier games are my jam but I'm more hype for the Odin sphere remake today

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Told myself I'd wait but I ended up buying both Odin Sphere and Sophie. Ah well there's my anime game budget til XV.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

replace candles with anime and it's me irl

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
stop buying anime

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Sophie's time management is literally nonexistent. It looks like they planned it at some point (there's an LP system that is entirely vestigial for example) but basically you have as much time as you want to do whatever you want. The average combat difficulty is a little higher than normal and it has a Despair mode if you really want your chill alchemy game to be brutal as poo poo but by and large it's a game to buy if you want to craft rather than be challenged.

The characters in E&L were kind of meh to me but I really enjoyed crushing bosses in seconds using my carefully synthezised, over-powered bombs. It's really too bad they had to include the (AFAIK) worst outfit in Atelier history. It might be me getting older but I really don't want to buy games with underage (yeah I know she's probably a thousand year old or whatever) characters in fetish or bondage gear. No not even if it's possible to spend real money to buy a better outfit. It's the same with #FE and Persona 5. I enjoy the mechanics and overall style but there's always something that make me go "why would they do that?". If they're going to appeal to the most niche crowds I'd rather spend my limited free time and cash on different things. It's a drat shame.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You could probably slash the food budget and put it into anime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

stop buying anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

You could probably slash the food budget and put it into anime.

thank you, im glad someone is willing to give me some serious advice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The characters in E&L were kind of meh to me but I really enjoyed crushing bosses in seconds using my carefully synthezised, over-powered bombs. It's really too bad they had to include the (AFAIK) worst outfit in Atelier history. It might be me getting older but I really don't want to buy games with underage (yeah I know she's probably a thousand year old or whatever) characters in fetish or bondage gear. No not even if it's possible to spend real money to buy a better outfit. It's the same with #FE and Persona 5. I enjoy the mechanics and overall style but there's always something that make me go "why would they do that?". If they're going to appeal to the most niche crowds I'd rather spend my limited free time and cash on different things. It's a drat shame.

You don't have to spend real money. The gimmick with that character is that you craft her new bodies. I still think most of the designs are poo poo mind you but it isn't a case of "pay DLC for other costumes" but "you can change this character's costume five seconds after you recruit her, which is 3/4ths of the way through the game."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Renoistic posted:

What's the issue with P5?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have to spend real money. The gimmick with that character is that you craft her new bodies.

I was just speaking of outfit DLCs in general, but that's... different I suppose?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

drat, why would they make one of the most stylish games ever made...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I was just speaking of outfit DLCs in general, but that's... different I suppose?

The gimmick with the character is that she's an alchemist who gets stuck into a doll's body. it's dumb and I dislike it, not in the least because the dude who makes the doll's body is a goddamn weirdo, but it's also basically the only thing in the game like that. It's basically Sophie's version of the stupid boob jokes in Ayesha basically. Not saying you're wrong for having that turn you off the game but it isn't really the tone of the actual game.

I feel like every Atelier game except E&L is basically obligated to have That One Goddamn Thing that prevents it from just being a G-rated adventure through crafting cakes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

same

Or at least anime videogames

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

The gimmick with the character is that she's an alchemist who gets stuck into a doll's body. it's dumb and I dislike it, not in the least because the dude who makes the doll's body is a goddamn weirdo, but it's also basically the only thing in the game like that. It's basically Sophie's version of the stupid boob jokes in Ayesha basically. Not saying you're wrong for having that turn you off the game but it isn't really the tone of the actual game.

I feel like every Atelier game except E&L is basically obligated to have That One Goddamn Thing that prevents it from just being a G-rated adventure through crafting cakes.

For Totori it was the Vita store screenshots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

the swimsuit scene, which i guess is impossible fetish gear?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cake Attack posted:

drat, why would they make one of the most stylish games ever made...

Like I said, I enjoy the overall aesthetic. Which makes it even more irksome that they gave the guys slick thief outfits and the girl literal BDSM gear. You might argue they went for a catwoman-look, but that doesn't exactly make it better. It's like the artist copied some catsuit in the local halloween shop.

I like everyone's civil outfits, though. It's like ImpAtom wrote about Atelier. There always has to be SOMETHING that spoils the fun. Sure, it's the Persona series, but I'd like the creepy poo poo to stay confined to the enemies and bosses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

uhm

have you seen the other two girl's thief outfits?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a catsuit...

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Hahah wow jeez

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You could always just not buy stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what the heck is your definition of bdsm gear

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Tight clothes

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hardcore BDSM:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
^^^ oh thanks

Screenshot of offending catsuit required

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
its a good thing persona 5 is being censored

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some people are just looking to be offended

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Colonel posted:

what the heck is your definition of bdsm gear

I for one don't think that a catsuit is good bedside manner clothing, but I don't know what hospitals y'all go to

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I for one don't think that a catsuit is good bedside manner clothing, but I don't know what hospitals y'all go to
the good ones, apparently

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Persona 4 nurse hospital

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

LawfulWaffle posted:

Appropriately (?) the meme that nurses and nursing students use all the time according to my wife is this, text obviously changing to fit the situation:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Like I said, I enjoy the overall aesthetic. Which makes it even more irksome that they gave the guys slick thief outfits and the girl literal BDSM gear. You might argue they went for a catwoman-look, but that doesn't exactly make it better. It's like the artist copied some catsuit in the local halloween shop.

Haru still looks cool. There's just a boob window instead of what the others have.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is it really a boob window if the character is still wearing a shirt under it

asking the serious philosophical questions

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 7, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe not a boob window exactly, just the way it's laid out really draws attention to that area.

But then she does cool stuff such as

So it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wait isn't that just a corset