Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Far Cry 2 is a great game.

For 2 hours. Nothing less, nothing more.

It's a great "walk around in beautiful Africa" simulator. Pretty bad as a shootman game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Far Cry 5 is great for 5

minutes, to get the ending in the opener.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Everyone forgets Far Cry Primal, the best Far Cry.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kazil posted:

Everyone forgets Far Cry Primal, the best Far Cry.

Primal was the worst because they really doubled down on the bow fetish that plagues a lot of developers for some reason. It's especially bad when they don't even make it good or interesting but just remove the alternative weapons.

Hel has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Nov 11, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bows are extremely good. Regrettably Primal does not let you play as a chick with a bow, so it sux.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Why does every game dev seem to think bows are totally silent? They're quite loud, and so is the arrow in flight. It's not as loud as a rifle, but the sound is super distinct. Bow fetishism is weird.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Same reason silencers completely muffle gunshots in everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ratoslov posted:

Why does every game dev seem to think bows are totally silent? They're quite loud, and so is the arrow in flight. It's not as loud as a rifle, but the sound is super distinct. Bow fetishism is weird.

The bow sounds in the newest Tomb Raider are very good. You get a nice big satisfying THWACK on the recurves with lots of deep reverb. It's comes the closest to how it really feels to shoot a bow in the games I've played recently.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Marvel's Spider-Man is a well made game all around but I dunno, I still much prefer the combat in Arkham Knight or Arkham City to it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RareAcumen posted:

Marvel's Spider-Man is a well made game all around but I dunno, I still much prefer the combat in Arkham Knight or Arkham City to it.

Its really good, especially when you get into a good rhythm going, but there is something just slightly off. I think enemy attacks come out way faster than they do in the Batman games and Spidey is much more reluctant to animation cancel into a dodge. Also don't think dodges have invincibility frames, so when the Demons fling those big energy waves at you, you have to actually dodge them instead of like dodging through.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like the combat is a lot of fun and easily better than Arkham when you’re just fighting regular guys trying to punch you or regular guys trying to shoot you, but the special guys like brutes, whips, jet packs, swordsmen, shields, etc etc are obnoxious chores to fight to varying degrees and the boss fights have all been dreadful so far.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MiddleOne posted:

Look at this scrub who didn't get a traffic engineering degree before booting the game.

I shouldn't need a traffic degree for these idiot fuckers to use secondary roads and actually bother with the multiple lanes on these god drat roads instead of all sticking to the right lane like it's got free blowjobs and money dispensers every six feet! :sbahj:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John Murdoch posted:

Therein lies the problem. For me it was all about the exploration and immersion. Like, I might still go ahead and try ESO next time there's a free trial or it goes on sale, 'cause it looks like it has some neat systems and ideas going on, but it's not going to work as a Skyrim alternative for me.

ESO is explorable as hell, all the content scales to your level so you can go and see whatever you want whenever you want (and unlike Skyrim or Oblivion, the scaling seems to more or less make sense). Also the quests are pretty fun, and the combat is MMO-y but frankly modern MMO combat is better than most Elder Scrolls games have to begin with.

I am not a huge MMO fan but I really like jumping into ESO every once in a while to do a few quests and explore. The Morrowind expansion is neat too, as a huge fan of Morrowind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I feel like the combat is a lot of fun and easily better than Arkham when you’re just fighting regular guys trying to punch you or regular guys trying to shoot you, but the special guys like brutes, whips, jet packs, swordsmen, shields, etc etc are obnoxious chores to fight to varying degrees and the boss fights have all been dreadful so far.

I'd always just immediately do a finisher on anyone more complicated than just bare handed people when I could swing it. The problem I had was attacking people and then zooming to someone with a crowbar or something and immediately getting whacked.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Unlocking The Bullet in Enter the Gungeon (the character, not the Bullet That Can Kill The Past plot item) requires identifying an unusual basic enemy and sparing them in a brawl, five times. The problem is that the enemy takes a loving long time to be spared and there's no way to speed the process up. You just have to watch this goober wander for about ten seconds after the fighting is done at which point it despawns without acknowledging you. If there's another round of brawling after the round where The Bullet replaces an enemy, you have to wait for the despawn and then the next round starts. It's just tuned a bit too slow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

food court bailiff posted:

ESO is explorable as hell, all the content scales to your level so you can go and see whatever you want whenever you want (and unlike Skyrim or Oblivion, the scaling seems to more or less make sense). Also the quests are pretty fun, and the combat is MMO-y but frankly modern MMO combat is better than most Elder Scrolls games have to begin with.

I am not a huge MMO fan but I really like jumping into ESO every once in a while to do a few quests and explore. The Morrowind expansion is neat too, as a huge fan of Morrowind.

I'm sure it has plenty to explore, but does it have the very specific blend of "trudge through the wilderness, get attacked by a bear, continue down the path towards the quest marker only for an NPC to run up and beg for my help with a totally different quest, suddenly this adventure is taking me all over the place" that Skyrim has? Are the areas large enough that I'm not going to bumbling into tons and tons of other players every five seconds?

Additionally a lot of the MMO aspects turn me right off. I don't care for the in-game economy stuff, the more overtly rotten cash shop elements, nor auto-attacking in general. First person mode also feels like a bit of an afterthought.

Funny thing, I actually ended up liking Skyrim's combat, for as simplistic and slightly cumbersome as it is.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Nov 11, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3, when I get pissed off that I got one shotted by the guy using an uzi from 1km out and hit alt + f4, that isn't because I want to be taken to the title screen.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

John Murdoch posted:

I'm sure it has plenty to explore, but does it have the very specific blend of "trudge through the wilderness, get attacked by a bear, continue down the path towards the quest marker only for an NPC to run up and beg for my help with a totally different quest, suddenly this adventure is taking me all over the place" that Skyrim has? Are the areas large enough that I'm not going to bumbling into tons and tons of other players every five seconds?

Additionally a lot of the MMO aspects turn me right off. I don't care for the in-game economy stuff, the more overtly rotten cash shop elements, nor auto-attacking in general. First person mode also feels like a bit of an afterthought.

Funny thing, I actually ended up liking Skyrim's combat, for as simplistic and slightly cumbersome as it is.
Yes to all the first stuff. You will see other players a lot but you can ignore them. There's also no auto-attack that I'm aware of. It seems like they've really been trying to turn this into Skyrim: Online since it launched with a lot of success. It's not perfect but if you can get a cheap trial or whatever definitely give it a go.

The quests are also way, way higher effort than they have the right to be. They're all voice acted and many of the larger chained ones affect the world you're in by instancing certain areas (like a town is on fire until you finish saving it then it stays normal in your game).

You can also completely ignore cash shop elements, it's all vanity poo poo or minor stuff to assist in research or horse speed or whatever which you can entirely skip.

Less Fat Luke has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Nov 12, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yes to all the first stuff. You will see other players a lot but you can ignore them. There's also no auto-attack that I'm aware of. It seems like they've really been trying to turn this into Skyrim: Online since it launched with a lot of success. It's not perfect but if you can get a cheap trial or whatever definitely give it a go.

The quests are also way, way higher effort than they have the right to be. They're all voice acted and many of the larger chained ones affect the world you're in by instancing certain areas (like a town is on fire until you finish saving it then it stays normal in your game).

You can also completely ignore cash shop elements, it's all vanity poo poo or minor stuff to assist in research or horse speed or whatever which you can entirely skip.

I thought holding down LMB was your basic, automated attack? :raise:

As for the cash shop, I'm more thinking of dumb, stripped-out options like open race/faction assignment, the Imperial race (not that I'd be personally making use of it in this case), the bottomless ingredient bag, etc. Plus the "the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are usually fan favorites so let's make them pay extra for those" thing. None of it is outright obtrusive I guess, but it rubs me the wrong way to see that kind of monetization.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The guy(s?) In charge of the Morrowind DLC explicitly said they cared more about making it a full and enjoyable single player experience than the MMO stuff lol. I still need to pick up Summerset, didn't really see much buzz around it after it came out - was it good??

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

John Murdoch posted:

I thought holding down LMB was your basic, automated attack? :raise:

As for the cash shop, I'm more thinking of dumb, stripped-out options like open race/faction assignment, the Imperial race (not that I'd be personally making use of it in this case), the bottomless ingredient bag, etc. Plus the "the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are usually fan favorites so let's make them pay extra for those" thing. None of it is outright obtrusive I guess, but it rubs me the wrong way to see that kind of monetization.
Holding LMB is a heavy attack. The DB and Thieves Guild quests may have been DLC at some point in the past, I'm not sure, but right now they are like almost all other DLC included with "Premium" membership (the monthly 20$ per month). It's definitely not offense in the spectrum of paid to pay-to-win games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry 4: to unlock a skill, you have to take out 2 outposts entirely unseen. And this doesn't mean turn off the alarm and go to town, it means totally stealthily.

So far, the only good stealth weapon is a bow. Bows are the least fun weapons in the game.

I know you can reset outposts, but like. Come on! Don't lock a skill behind something unfun!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Far Cry 4: to unlock a skill, you have to take out 2 outposts entirely unseen. And this doesn't mean turn off the alarm and go to town, it means totally stealthily.

So far, the only good stealth weapon is a bow. Bows are the least fun weapons in the game.

I know you can reset outposts, but like. Come on! Don't lock a skill behind something unfun!

I’m reasonably sure that you can buy silencers for most any gun you have really early on.

One thing 5 did right was removing EXP and skill requirements to unlock poo poo. Play how you want and unlock what you want, and don’t feel like you were punished because you got way less EXP for not doing a total stealth run of an outpost.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m reasonably sure that you can buy silencers for most any gun you have really early on.

One thing 5 did right was removing EXP and skill requirements to unlock poo poo. Play how you want and unlock what you want, and don’t feel like you were punished because you got way less EXP for not doing a total stealth run of an outpost.

Basically they're in a weird situation where they wanna reward play they call skillful, but they only call stealth skillful.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Stank Gum race in Mad Max is incredibly difficult for a game that is, before and after, incredibly easy. You have to destroy a fleeing vehicle under a time-table and before your own car gets destroyed. If you are too far behind after 30 seconds you might as well start over.

Also the game takes 60 hours to platinum, when it would be vastly improved if it were only 30. Beating the main campaign and all the side-missions only take 30 hours in Far Cry 3 and Arkham City, because 30 hours is the sweet spot in Ubisoft-style collect-em-ups. By hour 30 you will have already hit the level-cap and bought all the best gear, which takes out any sense of progression from the one-note combat. I think games should be long enough that you get to flex your moveset, but short enough that they end long before they exhaust all variety in the gameplay. I am the complete masochist who collected the scrap from all 227 locations despite the payout being gently caress-all.

I do look forward to when sandbox games on the whole move away from the Ubisoft mould; more unique locations, greater emphasis on level-design, a more organic way of uncovering locations, no loving towers, no level-scaling, lesser emphasis on collectibles, no arbitrary scoring-systems for missions, less repetition, and a willingness for maps not be so big or cluttered with icons. After New Vegas and around Witcher 3 it's kind of a blur. Apparently Horizon: Zero Dawn is supposed to be a standout but I don't have a PS4.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On the other hand, 5 has the really crap challenge list which forces you to play certain ways anyway.

Also Strix do you have the bait bag yet? Inexplicable animal attacks are silent too...

To cap off my Elder Scrolls blathering, I'm about to pull the trigger on ESO and if I don't like it you fuckers owe me. :argh: But regardless of if I do or not I just realized Farcry Primal, alongside Kingdoms of Amalur and Oblivion, would give me just about everything I want.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holding LMB is a heavy attack. The DB and Thieves Guild quests may have been DLC at some point in the past, I'm not sure, but right now they are like almost all other DLC included with "Premium" membership (the monthly 20$ per month). It's definitely not offense in the spectrum of paid to pay-to-win games.

I'm perfectly content to drop $20 sight unseen, but I'm definitely not paying a monthly fee for an MMO ever again.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Nov 12, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

On the other hand, 5 has the really crap challenge list which forces you to play certain ways anyway.

Also Strix do you have the bait bag yet? Inexplicable animal attacks are silent too...

To cap off my Elder Scrolls blathering, I'm about to pull the trigger on ESO and if I don't like it you fuckers owe me. :argh: But regardless of if I do or not I just realized Farcry Primal, alongside Kingdoms of Amalur and Oblivion, would give me just about everything I want.

I'm perfectly content to drop $20 sight unseen, but I'm definitely not paying a monthly fee for an MMO ever again.

The gently caress, really? I figured the bait bag would be way too loud but apparently not??

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Stank Gum race in Mad Max is incredibly difficult for a game that is, before and after, incredibly easy. You have to destroy a fleeing vehicle under a time-table and before your own car gets destroyed. If you are too far behind after 30 seconds you might as well start over.

Also the game takes 60 hours to platinum, when it would be vastly improved if it were only 30.

That game is so full of broken, placeholdered or missing stuff that it is a surprise that it was as good as we got. On top of my head

-The entire V8 family comes so late it might as well not exist
-The legendary captains are clear copy-paste jobs from the "generic captain" living in that one basement, even though the are implied to be different and require different tactics.
-One stronghold region is basically entirely skipped
-The dog is underutilized and used in the only open world minigame not doable with the MO. The car switching is introduced as a tactic, but not actually used for anything meaningful.
-The wheel grinders and body spikes do not seem to actually do anything
-Only one of the paint jobs actually does something, even though the game implies that there should be several different benefits
-The sniper rifle is borderline useless/underutilized.
-The archtypes for the cars are more or less meaningless, they give no "set bonuses" or anything besides presenting a gimmick build.

Shame really, the solid 8/10 game that was really close being a really loving cool game, and almost screams "we did not have time to finalize content".

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Stealth game complaints remind me of my long hated thing, where in games if I am supposed to go unspotted for cool kid points or some poo poo, and as I am just about to shiv someone in the head they turn around and see me right before dying, and that results in me being counted as spotted, so I have to restart if I still give a poo poo. Its not even like in Hitman where the problem is that you don't want to make witnesses or extra bodies, this is just "yeah something saw you before you snuffed them out, you're trash, get out". Bonus points if it was a dog or something, or they don't tell you this until the end of the mission / game about that one rear end in a top hat who is down in Hell, telling everyone what a clumsy poo poo you were.

I have left many corpses behind in my gaming career, spitefully shot an extra twenty or so times, because their damned dead eyes caught a glimpse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Xiii was good for that. If you could ko/kill someone before they actually sounded the alarm you were fine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Der Kyhe posted:

-The wheel grinders and body spikes do not seem to actually do anything
The max level grinders aren't too bad. They aren't amazing but you can actually damage (or kill) stuff using them.

The spikes will instantly kill someone who tries to jump on if you swerve in the right direction at the right time. They do actually do something, it's just too much effort for a tiny, tiny benefit.

Agree entirely with the rest of your complaints though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I shouldn't need a traffic degree for these idiot fuckers to use secondary roads and actually bother with the multiple lanes on these god drat roads instead of all sticking to the right lane like it's got free blowjobs and money dispensers every six feet! :sbahj:

It's not like actual traffic behavior by humans isn't counterintuitive as hell either. Like how increasing capacity reliably increases congestion because then more people will think it's a good idea to commute that route by car. :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

The only challenge in FC5 that I really didn’t like was the one to get a certain amount of kills from 150m away. There was no rangefinder so it was all guesswork for me until I had a mission that had an objective marker 180m away surrounded by mooks to shoot. Even then, I always felt like I had more points to spend than skills worth buying. There’s so many skills that are nearly worthless and some, like buying a shitload of health, make the game too easy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also the game takes 60 hours to platinum, when it would be vastly improved if it were only 30. Beating the main campaign and all the side-missions only take 30 hours in Far Cry 3 and Arkham City, because 30 hours is the sweet spot in Ubisoft-style collect-em-ups. By hour 30 you will have already hit the level-cap and bought all the best gear, which takes out any sense of progression from the one-note combat. I think games should be long enough that you get to flex your moveset, but short enough that they end long before they exhaust all variety in the gameplay. I am the complete masochist who collected the scrap from all 227 locations despite the payout being gently caress-all.

I do look forward to when sandbox games on the whole move away from the Ubisoft mould; more unique locations, greater emphasis on level-design, a more organic way of uncovering locations, no loving towers, no level-scaling, lesser emphasis on collectibles, no arbitrary scoring-systems for missions, less repetition, and a willingness for maps not be so big or cluttered with icons. After New Vegas and around Witcher 3 it's kind of a blur. Apparently Horizon: Zero Dawn is supposed to be a standout but I don't have a PS4.

Spider-man was a step in the right direction. Extremely easy to Plat, the collectibles all have some sort of significance to Peter - and add to a lot of the lore of this universe - and they get added in slowly, so you don't begin the game and immediately have a map full of icons. There are the unfortunate Challenges that are a pain in the rear end, but aside from that it is a very compact game while still being open-world.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the big thing with Spider-Man is that the navigation is a lot of fun. I didn’t mind hunting down all the backpacks and pigeons and stuff because just moving from Point A to Point B by way of web-slinging and wall-running was a lot of fun. Most games don’t have something like that and I definitely wouldn’t have bothered chasing everything down if it was just standard walking or driving.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The prince of persia reboot felt kind of fun, but quickly became what seemed like one string of quick time events into another. Then movement wasn't as fun as it felt like it should've been.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

Spider-man was a step in the right direction. Extremely easy to Plat, the collectibles all have some sort of significance to Peter - and add to a lot of the lore of this universe - and they get added in slowly, so you don't begin the game and immediately have a map full of icons. There are the unfortunate Challenges that are a pain in the rear end, but aside from that it is a very compact game while still being open-world.

I personally hate the Crimes. There are 20 in each area, released 5 at a time, until the last two appear all at once, and you need to wait for them to spawn in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Coming back to report that apparently summoning bears to kill 10+ men is a totally silent activity, hahaha. I cleared an outpost without doing anything but throwing bait!

...and then the bears attacked the Golden Path dudes when they arrived, and I could hear them screaming in the distance about it. I love this dumb game. :allears:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

ilmucche posted:

The prince of persia reboot felt kind of fun, but quickly became what seemed like one string of quick time events into another. Then movement wasn't as fun as it felt like it should've been.

The movie tie in game is surprisingly better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I personally hate the Crimes. There are 20 in each area, released 5 at a time, until the last two appear all at once, and you need to wait for them to spawn in.

Crimes are just stuff you do at your own leisure, while you're on the way to something else. If you just decide to go "Ok, time to complete all Crime challenges" then it is going to be a pain in the rear end, for sure.