Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Since it's apparently limited to 90hz max (and that's only "in the future?") it would be an absolute downgrade for gaming from the Quest 2.

I don't feel like that's some let down, they said this was not a gaming headset how many times? And, here we are, not a gaming headset at all. It's not designed for gaming, it's not priced for what we'd expect from a gaming headset, it was never meant to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Since it's apparently limited to 90hz max (and that's only "in the future?") it would be an absolute downgrade for gaming from the Quest 2.

I don't feel like that's some let down, they said this was not a gaming headset how many times? And, here we are, not a gaming headset at all. It's not designed for gaming, it's not priced for what we'd expect from a gaming headset, it was never meant to be one.

It’s dumb as hell for “business”, too.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Bad Munki posted:

Yep, too bad the game sucks. But it is pretty rad to hop into a few of the craft and mess around. A-wing is cozy.

If that’s your bag, though, of course Elite: Dangerous is an option, and/or DCS.

Is ED playable with Oculus controllers or does it still need to be gamepad?

e: oh, well there is this
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/3192490350120006858/
https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 12, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

akadajet posted:

It’s dumb as hell for “business”, too.

tbh I kinda dont see anything in VR that makes that much sense for business in general, at least not just very specific industries.

But I guess I wouldn't really know

It just seems like, we're comparing this to 4090s (which, ok, price point roughly the same) but the 4090 is a gaming GPU. No ones gonna say "God drat this sucks for gaming" when the RTX 6000 comes out and costs thousands.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BrainDance posted:

tbh I kinda dont see anything in VR that makes that much sense for business in general, at least not just very specific industries.

But I guess I wouldn't really know

It just seems like, we're comparing this to 4090s (which, ok, price point roughly the same) but the 4090 is a gaming GPU. No ones gonna say "God drat this sucks for gaming" when the RTX 6000 comes out and costs thousands.

It feels like the classic solution looking for a problem. Nobody needs vr for meetings

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

akadajet posted:

It feels like the classic solution looking for a problem. Nobody needs vr for meetings

I think if the software was actually good, it could be good. All my meetings are virtual now and the bad meetings would still obviously be bad if they were in VR, but the good meetings would absolutely be better with a closer to in person IRL feel. I also wish I could replicate the "hey, can you come over to my desk and look at something really quick?" experience, which you could totally do with good VR

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember Carmack specifically mentioned that; saying that basically everything happens on (or can live on ) a screen these days, so he's always pushing for a dead-simple way to just share whatever screen to others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

I think if the software was actually good, it could be good. All my meetings are virtual now and the bad meetings would still obviously be bad if they were in VR, but the good meetings would absolutely be better with a closer to in person IRL feel. I also wish I could replicate the "hey, can you come over to my desk and look at something really quick?" experience, which you could totally do with good VR

Nobody wants that in the real world. Meetings are far better when you can mute yourself and/or do something productive in the background. VR meetings are only trying to appease middle management types looking to be able to have their peons in-sight remotely and feel self-important. They're ego masturbation at best.

If I want someone to look at my work real quick, Zoom exists and lets them take control if something really needs touching by another person.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think once the technology improves enough and it's no longer prohibitively expensive it could be useful in a situation like mine where we employ developers all over the world and basically live on slack. It may be more of a novelty than anything but to have morning standup in VR or virtual breakout rooms to collaborate on a bug or whatever could be kinda neat? The real issue is that most companies aren't going to buy $1500 headsets for everybody before knowing if it's even going to be useful and not just something that you could do in slack a whole lot faster and cheaper. My company certainly wouldn't even consider this if it meant we had to do things slower because we're all working in loving VR headsets.

Edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nobody wants that in the real world. Meetings are far better when you can mute yourself and/or do something productive in the background. VR meetings are only trying to appease middle management types looking to be able to have their peons in-sight remotely and feel self-important. They're ego masturbation at best.

Yeah pretty much this

explosivo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2022

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I want someone to look at my work real quick, Zoom exists and lets them take control if something really needs touching by another person.

Uh, ok. I'm an engineer and I would specifically like to be able to do those things with the other engineers I work with. I agree it wouldn't make the lovely meetings you want to alt tab and mute any better, but it's not like all meetings are inherently worthless. I'm full remote, but I am also looking forward to some of the IRL meetups we're planning on doing because being full remote really isn't the same as being able to meet up in real life, and VR can bridge that gap a bit (obviously, the advantages of remote vastly outweigh how much of a pain in the rear end it'd be to be in an office). There *are* aspects of an office that are better. Not enough to be worth it, but recapturing some of those social interactions will absolutely be good to do once the technology and software is good enough

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There's always "education"

I've thought about that, what it would be like teaching a class in VR, every time I have to do a week of online classes for covid reasons.

Because this;

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Meetings are far better when you can mute yourself and/or do something productive in the background.

Is true for most industries I'd imagine, but not true at all for a class of high school students. (except for me being able to mute them.) The class is the productive thing, but online I cant stop them from just having me on in the background. I've thought, a straight up lecture is easy enough online but anything that requires any student interaction would be infinitely better if they were in VR, without them being able to easily be distracted by anything outside of our VR classroom, with the sense of presence drawing them in and opening up interactions you have in a classroom but not online (pointing, looking at people, gesturing, etc.)

But, and maybe pancake lenses would solve this problem, maybe for this the Quest Pro would be good, teaching several hours of classes with a headset strapped on would suck. Also the controllers would be a problem. I think that could be fixed with a "pen controller" with writing on a virtual chalk board in mind or something.

Though it's a pipe dream for now, just because of the cost and logistics of getting a headset to every student.

edit: also I wanna teach in a fantasy forest vr chat world thing where theres like giant mushrooms everyone sits on and stuff.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 12, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I work with POS systems and we have a ton of bulky hardware, it'd be neat as a QA tester to have an infinite virtual space with our hardware in it if you could somehow run a virtual instance of Android in there running our software and have it work. It wouldn't be the same as testing on physical hardware but idk if I could set up a system in a VR space with all our peripherals and have it all work and interact as expected that'd be pretty useful for troubleshooting issues. All of the cool ideas I can think of would require custom software specifically for that usage which also makes it feel pretty much like a pipe dream.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Every meeting I had with co-workers in startups doing interesting work was profoundly useful.

On the other hand, every meeting in the corporate world was overall a waste of my time, their meagre utility eclipsed entirely by the usefulness of a quick chat at the desk of whoever in another department happens to know their poo poo. Cutting out the middleman, so to speak.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BrainDance posted:

But, and maybe pancake lenses would solve this problem, maybe for this the Quest Pro would be good, teaching several hours of classes with a headset strapped on would suck. Also the controllers would be a problem. I think that could be fixed with a "pen controller" with writing on a virtual chalk board in mind or something.

This is one thing that they've thought about, the new controllers can be held like an incredibly fat marker and even comes with stylus tips.

Kinda cool.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

NRVNQSR posted:

It does have an over the head strap, it just isn't visible in their glamour shots because overhead straps are deeply unglamorous.

It might also be removable? Not sure.

whew... that's good to know, thanks!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Quest pro’s success is based on hand tracking? If you have to use a controller to resize windows consistently then it’s doa

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could these being useful for meetings 3 years ago, but we're at the point now where a lot of companies are trying to move back to in office stuff.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, are some graphics cards better suited to VR specifically? It seems to me that that's not the case, and that the faster the GPU(s) and the more video memory you have, the better your performance in all applications, VR and not VR. I'm looking at upgrading, and was going to just get the biggest, beefiest graphics card that's not stupid expensive, but a friend asked if VR has specific needs that certain cards serve better, which planted a seed of doubt.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Lynx silently bumped the delivery date of their headset (on their webstore) from Sept 2022 to February 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hyperlynx posted:

Hey, are some graphics cards better suited to VR specifically? It seems to me that that's not the case, and that the faster the GPU(s) and the more video memory you have, the better your performance in all applications, VR and not VR. I'm looking at upgrading, and was going to just get the biggest, beefiest graphics card that's not stupid expensive, but a friend asked if VR has specific needs that certain cards serve better, which planted a seed of doubt.

No, you're basically just rendering the game twice so just get the biggest beef GPU you can. If you want to be sure there's also 3DMark's VRMark benchmark scores and OpenVR Benchmark and the leaderboards for those are basically exactly as you'd expect.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TIP posted:

I've read many accounts of people using PSVR2 and describing the dynamic foveated rendering as "not that noticeable", which to me sounds like "not good enough".

Doesn't seem like everyone notices it, not sure if that's down to individual perceptions or it working better for some people's eyes than others, but in my mind (and probably Carmack's) if you're gonna have dynamic foveated rendering as a feature that games rely on it needs to be pretty much perfect for everyone.

isn't the point of Foveated to reduce quality in placed you don't notice? Like it not being noticeable is the goal?
Though if it wasn't on at all also wouldn't be noticeable. Will have to wait till its out and we can scour the share screen where it will be visible to see if it is on or not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Slayerjerman posted:

I loved Quest 1 and grabbed Quest 2 the day it released. I even bought like 3 others for my family! Its the new Wii! Nothing about the Quest Pro tempts me at all even if the price was identical to the Q2. That is insane they would even put this thing out; a) heavier b) less battery life c) built in batteries d) questionable eyeball scanning features no one asked for or needs e) at a price that screams rip off.

All they had to loving do was make a Quest 2 but lighter, more comfortable and balanced, increase the visual quality and FOV.

Don't worry, there is a Quest 3 coming...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Every meeting I had with co-workers in startups doing interesting work was profoundly useful.

On the other hand, every meeting in the corporate world was overall a waste of my time, their meagre utility eclipsed entirely by the usefulness of a quick chat at the desk of whoever in another department happens to know their poo poo. Cutting out the middleman, so to speak.

What I hate about corp meetings is how leads/bosses tend to overstaff them. Don't include people in a 60 minute meeting when only a 3 minute section will be relevant to them. :/

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

njsykora posted:

No, you're basically just rendering the game twice so just get the biggest beef GPU you can. If you want to be sure there's also 3DMark's VRMark benchmark scores and OpenVR Benchmark and the leaderboards for those are basically exactly as you'd expect.

Cool, thanks. That's what I thought. Benchmarks is even better, though - thanks!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I kinda like the idea of VR meetings. For me, being physically close and being able to demonstrate things with your hands, write on a whiteboard and such are really important when you meet as a project group. That being said it's incredibly dorky and won't work for 75% of people so I don't have high hopes for that.

On the other hand, being able to surround yourself with 5 big monitors and shutting out all distractions, that would help. Again with the problem that it wouldn't be for everyone - to start with, lots of people don't want to shut out the outside world, or can't even properly type blind.

So I hope that something good comes out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm not interested in meetings, but if I could have a jillion virtual monitors I absolutely would.

Although it wouldn't work out for me at any rate. I need all the processing power I can spare to compile code.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I cancelled my pre-order. Every new thing that comes out about the Quest Pro just ruins it for me. I still think it would be the most comfortable headset for me, but there are just too many downsides.

I suffer from eye strain fairly easily, so the better weight distribution and dynamic IPD adjustment stuff would have helped me immensely. But potentially launching at 72 Hz only? That won't do for me. I get a lot less strain at 90 Hz.

I was interested in using it as a productivity device. Nice OLED panels and higher resolutions. Oh, but no, its still LCD panels and a 1-2 hour battery life just does not cut it at all. I have meetings that last longer than an hour. I was mostly willing to overlook the LCD panels and maybe even the battery life, but the controllers are also 1-2 hours, so ugh. I know it will just frustrate me in the end. I would have to go back to strapping battery packs on the headset and it would just ruin all the improvements in weight distribution, potentially causing the fit the degrade and start the eye strain and the headaches. But what do you do about the controllers? Do you strap batteries on to them too???

Too many downsides keep being revealed so I'm just going to sit this out for now and see how people deal with it once the product is released. Maybe things will improve in the future and it will be worthwhile for me, but not now.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 12, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eagerly awaiting the wrist mounted battery packs to keep the controllers alive if you use the headset plugged in

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dropping my wrist batteries to unveil my true power and immediately going to 10% reserve power instead

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Eagerly awaiting the wrist mounted battery packs to keep the controllers alive if you use the headset plugged in

Index users are way ahead of you. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

Index users are way ahead of you. :v:

Lol and some people were mad at WMR for having AA batteries you could swap in 30 seconds.

The AR/VR poo poo might only be useful if you're designing physical parts in CAD or building or something. Which is a non-zero market I suppose, but 99% of "business" is Excel and Outlook poo poo and VR isn't helpful there no matter how Zuck is trying to spin it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

I remember Carmack specifically mentioned that; saying that basically everything happens on (or can live on ) a screen these days, so he's always pushing for a dead-simple way to just share whatever screen to others.

The Carmack presentation was good and lol at the end when they told him to wrap it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouq5yyzSiAw&t=393s

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

akadajet posted:

The Carmack presentation was good and lol at the end when they told him to wrap it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouq5yyzSiAw&t=393s

It would have been funny if they yanked him out of the shot with hook like they do in cartoons

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pimax of all companies actually solved this problem; Their Sword controllers only manage about 4 hours of playtime, but they each have a bog-standard Sony NP-BX1 battery under a magnetic cover plate you can swap out in about a minute or two.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The Quest Pro had to go back to design testing a few months ago because the depth sensor kept breaking. End result: no depth sensor.

So the only AR hardware advantage the Pro has over Pico is the extra grayscale passthrough camera?

This thing clearly needed more time in the oven

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1580216319328153602?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lemming posted:

Just share the screen

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Kind of interesting - Pokerstars VR with a Quest Pro update incorporating mixed reality and whatnot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQChrBP9LM

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

After trying to build up a tolerance to motion sickness for months now I am sad to report no luck. I can play for roughly 5 to 10 mins before I am nauseous for a day or more.

I have tried playing indoors, outdoors, with fans on, with dreamamine, and trying longer cycles and shorter cycles. None of it works so I have to give up.

Ugh it pains me but I am going to have to get rid of my Meta Quest 2.

At least I can live vicariously through you all on this thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

loving Moron posted:

After trying to build up a tolerance to motion sickness for months now I am sad to report no luck. I can play for roughly 5 to 10 mins before I am nauseous for a day or more.

I have tried playing indoors, outdoors, with fans on, with dreamamine, and trying longer cycles and shorter cycles. None of it works so I have to give up.

What are you trying to play? While I think it's possible to acclimate to some degree, I'd agree that it's by and large only possible to some amount and it's not worth kicking yourself in the teeth over it, but also there are some things that are much, much worse than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

loving Moron posted:

Have you tried using it for PCVR? I only ask because most of the native games are 72hz or 90hz but on PC you can play everything at 120hz which I find to be much more comfortable for movement.

Even now with several years of VR experience and the ability to play all kinds of games without issue my VR legs give way after a while of moving around at 72hz.