Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hexel posted:

Sneak makes you effectively neutral to an npc or mob as long as you're on side of or behind it. You can use this to vendor at npc's that hate your race or religion and even bank I believe.

One of my favourite things in this game is that any banker is happy to do business while actively attacking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Thanks for the info, I knew the basic stuff but wasn't aware sneak was that broken. I knew about sneaking behind bankers/merchants and whatnot, but it overwriting social aggro is news to me. That makes things a lot easier.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I definitely remember hearing about sneak pulling back in classic times, although I don't either remember it being that effective. I played a rogue, and I vaguely recall experimenting with it, but not that much... But as Kodaji said, it is ridiculously effective, even more so because Sneak actually works in a 270 degree cone behind the mob. You can stand way past the "front side" of a mob and still be indifferent.

One bummer about P99 though is that you can't vendor while FD, but I assume that's how it worked in classic. On current Live, you can.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

One bummer about P99 though is that you can't vendor while FD, but I assume that's how it worked in classic. On current Live, you can.

Can vendor while sneaking though, and bank while FD!

vvv You can start sneaking while FD on P99, so yeah, if it's in a terrible area you run in, FD, wait for poo poo to go home, then sneak and stand up vvv

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 18, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pilsner posted:

I definitely remember hearing about sneak pulling back in classic times, although I don't either remember it being that effective. I played a rogue, and I vaguely recall experimenting with it, but not that much... But as Kodaji said, it is ridiculously effective, even more so because Sneak actually works in a 270 degree cone behind the mob. You can stand way past the "front side" of a mob and still be indifferent.

if I recall what you can do is FD behind the vendor, stand, right-click the vendor before he agros so you can pull up his inventory and then FD again. I'm not 100% sure this works on P99, but I seem to recall doing this on live at some point.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I haven't played for a bit, but the red server really seems to be doing well, 300 people online right now.

Anyone in the mood to roll some new chars there this weekend, maybe at a set time? I can port/bind people wherev and throw a bit of plat around.

Just a thought, the first 20ish levels suck if you're broke/solo but its a lot of fun to shitkick with a little crew.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm in for sure, just made my first Red char last night so I'd be super down for a playdate :allears:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm in for sure, just made my first Red char last night so I'd be super down for a playdate :allears:

Awesome! What class you rockin?

We really just need 1 more and can try recruiting in-game, but was hoping to get a goon group going.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Awesome! What class you rockin?

We really just need 1 more and can try recruiting in-game, but was hoping to get a goon group going.

I think I have a wizard, enchanter and shaman all around level 10. What classes are you guys rolling?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Hooray, this is going to be awesomely fun. I have a 9 bard, but I'm also open to making an SK, pally, cleric, necro, or monk depending on what you guys want. Not sure yet what makes a good group on red

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I think I have a wizard, enchanter and shaman all around level 10. What classes are you guys rolling?

I was thinking SK, haven't played a tank much in this game but have the equip to make it work even if I suck!

Play whichever you want to level, the group exp bonus is so stupid we could succeed just bootfucking mobs with bandages.

MrTheDevious posted:

Hooray, this is going to be awesomely fun. I have a 9 bard, but I'm also open to making an SK, pally, cleric, necro, or monk depending on what you guys want.

A bard is always extremely useful, but a lot of people seem to burn out on them. If you want to level him absolutely man, but just play what you think you'll have the most fun with!

Are you guys thinking tonight or tomorrow?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

e: ugh.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I was thinking SK, haven't played a tank much in this game but have the equip to make it work even if I suck!

Play whichever you want to level, the group exp bonus is so stupid we could succeed just bootfucking mobs with bandages.

A bard is always extremely useful, but a lot of people seem to burn out on them. If you want to level him absolutely man, but just play what you think you'll have the most fun with!

Are you guys thinking tonight or tomorrow?

If I can manage to install a new HDD tonight,look for Skullmonkey on Red, goon guild cleric :v:

Edit: SK is OP

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I've gotta do Christmas stuff tonight (bleh) but I'll be around all day tomorrow. Gonna stick with the bard since they're awesome and I already made an AHK macro that twists for me so I don't get carpal tunnel

Agreeing with SK being OP. I play one on Live so I can maybe help you not suck

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Quick, someone tell me where/what to go charm solo as a level 28 enchanter so very close to getting Clarity.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

SK/Paw, Najena, Sol A, Firiona Vie pirates

XenZakki
Apr 18, 2007
I AM YOUR PANTS
Ive got a cleric, Stooney (54) and a Necro, Popoim (51) on ree, if anyome needs a hand, or buffs. Hit me up in game. :3

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

One of my favourite things in this game is that any banker is happy to do business while actively attacking you.

I did HHK guards faction work for a couple days because I really need to be able to bank on Antonica so I dont have to carry arounds hundreds of plat. Got the guards to dubious and no longer kos but the banker still attacks me cuz the merchants are on a different faction. Its easy enough to open them up and flop. On a progress note I am 29 now and have managed to farm up and collect every item upgrade from the pilsner budget list. Looking forward to 30+ and owning hobbit guards.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
What's up everyone? I've been busy with real life for a bit, just wondering who's still playing on red and what guilds you're all in right now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Hey I dunno if you care or are publicizing your awesome map program anymore or not, but I just fixed a super tiny bug if you want to update the code. If you change the name of your EQ folder after installing the Map, trying to start the map reads the old settings and throws an unhandled Argument Exception in MapForm.cs when it can't find the old folder. I just put in a basic try/catch around the line for myself so I could get the program open long enough to change the setting manually, but you could always have it pop up a warning window or something if you want.

private void SetupFileSystemWatcher() {
fileSystemWatcher1.Path = Path.Combine(Settings.EQDirectoryPath, "Logs");

is the line that throws the System.ArgumentException. Cheers!

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

HEY VAPER posted:

What's up everyone? I've been busy with real life for a bit, just wondering who's still playing on red and what guilds you're all in right now.

I think I might be the only one left. I've been messing around, trying to raise money to twink a shaman.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

Hey I dunno if you care or are publicizing your awesome map program anymore or not, but I just fixed a super tiny bug if you want to update the code. If you change the name of your EQ folder after installing the Map, trying to start the map reads the old settings and throws an unhandled Argument Exception in MapForm.cs when it can't find the old folder. I just put in a basic try/catch around the line for myself so I could get the program open long enough to change the setting manually, but you could always have it pop up a warning window or something if you want.

private void SetupFileSystemWatcher() {
fileSystemWatcher1.Path = Path.Combine(Settings.EQDirectoryPath, "Logs");

is the line that throws the System.ArgumentException. Cheers!
Nice to hear you're using it and digging through the code. :) How'd my coding? Call 555-ZLIZEQ.

I've put on my TODO list to handle a missing EQ dir gracefully. I think I will go through the list when Velious is released and clean up a few bugs and niggles, and add Velious maps of course.

One thing I've noticed myself by the way is that with a huge log file, the program can take up to 1-2 seconds to pick up the latest /loc, even though I peek in the file every 500ms. I guess seeking through a big file (mine is 50 MB currently) takes its time. The easy solution is to rename your log file (or delete it if you don't care about saving it), and EQ will create a fresh one.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Nice to hear you're using it and digging through the code. :) How'd my coding? Call 555-ZLIZEQ.

I've put on my TODO list to handle a missing EQ dir gracefully. I think I will go through the list when Velious is released and clean up a few bugs and niggles, and add Velious maps of course.

One thing I've noticed myself by the way is that with a huge log file, the program can take up to 1-2 seconds to pick up the latest /loc, even though I peek in the file every 500ms. I guess seeking through a big file (mine is 50 MB currently) takes its time. The easy solution is to rename your log file (or delete it if you don't care about saving it), and EQ will create a fresh one.

I switched my EQ install to a SSD and for whatever reason I cant get the program to show my position anymore. Iv deleted the program and program data and made sure its pointing to the new folder but nothing seems to be working. It worked on the old hard drive but all it does now is shows the character name in the bar and doesnt update even though the log is saving.

Is there something else I need to delete to get it to stop looking into the old folder? Im pretty sure thats whats happening.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

TouchToneDialing posted:

I switched my EQ install to a SSD and for whatever reason I cant get the program to show my position anymore. Iv deleted the program and program data and made sure its pointing to the new folder but nothing seems to be working. It worked on the old hard drive but all it does now is shows the character name in the bar and doesnt update even though the log is saving.

Is there something else I need to delete to get it to stop looking into the old folder? Im pretty sure thats whats happening.
When you say you deleted "program data", what do you mean? Try closing the program, then delete the file "ZlizEQP1999Map.ini" located in this directory:

%appdata%\ZlizEQP1999Map

(type that in Start->Run)

That should reset the program's config and upon running it, give you a dialog box where you can re-enter your EQ dir.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Yeah I tried that already and just tried it again. I know its pointed to the right folder, logs are going but it wont show up. I had it working before I moved drives so im not sure whats up

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

wait you're telling me there's an in-game map we can use?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

TouchToneDialing posted:

Yeah I tried that already and just tried it again. I know its pointed to the right folder, logs are going but it wont show up. I had it working before I moved drives so im not sure whats up
Hmm. So you say that the program catches your character's name, but doesn't plot the x? Are you sure you're in a zone where your position is within the bounds of the map and everything? Also, try opening your log file and verify that it actually writes the "Your Location is __________" as you do the /loc. Perhaps some permissions are preventing your EQ from writing to the log file.

tyler is a joke posted:

wait you're telling me there's an in-game map we can use?
Nope, I'm telling you there's an out-of-game tool with maps. :P See this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475298&userid=31831&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post437750470

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I finally got my hands on the sisters camp tonight and all I gotta say is :drat:

220 plat per hour is huge at my level, gonna be able to get 2x sos in a couple days :sun:

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

game changing

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hexel posted:

So I finally got my hands on the sisters camp tonight and all I gotta say is :drat:

220 plat per hour is huge at my level, gonna be able to get 2x sos in a couple days :sun:
Yeah it rocks. I've tried many different money camps, and I aside from item camps, which can be very very streaky and possibly leave you with nada after a whole day, I don't think anything matches sisters for plat until you can reliably grind Fine Steel-dropping guards in the mid 40's, and even then you don't gain that much more from it. Kinda silly, but that's EQ for you.

A fairly comparable camp to the sisters are the two treants in the far northeast corner of South Karana. However, they are Druids and you'll need to be able to handle their nasty spells. Their drops are also a bit more random compared to the guaranteed swords of the sisters. They drop gold, not platinum, so you'll very often need to go to the nearby Centaur merchants and exchange (buy and sell back some item), but they can drop valuable gems and a stave that vendors for 18p.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

A fairly comparable camp to the sisters are the two treants in the far northeast corner of South Karana. However, they are Druids and you'll need to be able to handle their nasty spells. Their drops are also a bit more random compared to the guaranteed swords of the sisters. They drop gold, not platinum, so you'll very often need to go to the nearby Centaur merchants and exchange (buy and sell back some item), but they can drop valuable gems and a stave that vendors for 18p.

I may move there in the next couple days. Theres a pair of enchanters that seem to work in 12 hour shifts and keep the sisters sewn up pretty good. I managed to weasel in last night but gently caress competing with these enchanters for a cash camp.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

One of my favorite cash camps is a level 25 named Froglok in the Swamp of No Hope.

Soblogh. Check him out. He drops ruby crowns and black sapphires.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tried the treants but man them things are annoying. Damage shield hurts too much. I found a great alternative though! Hobbit guards on the wall in misty drop 10p spears eveytime just like the chicks in OOT and are 6 minute spawns so I'm set for a while. Gonna fill up the poopsock on my 5 day christmas vacation.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

One of my favorite cash camps is a level 25 named Froglok in the Swamp of No Hope.

Soblogh. Check him out. He drops ruby crowns and black sapphires.

Gonna go check this out on my 40 bard

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

Gonna go check this out on my 40 bard

News: I went
Views: it was lame he didn't spawn for a long time so I left.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

KingFisher posted:

News: I went
Views: it was lame he didn't spawn for a long time so I left.

That's odd I saw him twice over the course of 15 minutes tonight (two separate pops as he was being actively camped).

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

tyler is a joke posted:

That's odd I saw him twice over the course of 15 minutes tonight (two separate pops as he was being actively camped).

Yeah he spawns every 6 minutes in two separate locations. No placeholders.

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
The p99 wiki provides the loc for one of the spawn locations, where's the second?
Finally dinged 50 on my cleric Sobriquet on red. Not bad with limited play time tho!

XenZakki
Apr 18, 2007
I AM YOUR PANTS

MooselanderII posted:

I think I might be the only one left. I've been messing around, trying to raise money to twink a shaman.

I'm also around. The server pop seems to be going strong, and the guilds... Well there's Azreal still, Holocaust is a pretty big zerg guild, and Fresh is a leveling guild sorta. They do raids. Oh and a handful of "minor guilds". Gods work, dungeon fever, redrum, etc. FoH seems to have all but disappeared.

Red is awesome.

Edit: Hit up Stooney some time, I'm a 54 cleric on red. Happy to buff, and even happier to group.

XenZakki fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Yeah he spawns every 6 minutes in two separate locations. No placeholders.

For those on blue interested in camping the guy. I figured out where he spawns (both spots) and how to split thecamp so you get a pop at both locs. It can be worth 2-400pp an hour and it's good xp at level 29. /tell Avalok for info.

• Locked thread