Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

After a lot of hunting for random cards, I've finally finished the Purphoros EDH deck a goon posted a few months back, with a couple tweaks-

Deck: Purphoros, God of the Forge

Display deck statistics

There are a few cards not on the list that I picked up while looking for the others though, do you see any places where I could put them?

Burn at the Stake
Warbreak Trumpeter
Chain Reaction
Hellrider

I'd remove stuff that is too 'small' for EDH or doesn't fit the theme of the deck, so stuff like Act of Treason. I'm also not a fan of Kuldotha Rebirth. I also don't like cards outside of Firecat Blitz that make you sacrifice only a few lands at a time - Blitz is your big finisher with Purphoros out; once you play it, you should expect to win. Sacrifice a few lands at a time for just a handful of tokens can set you too far back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

After a lot of hunting for random cards, I've finally finished the Purphoros EDH deck a goon posted a few months back, with a couple tweaks-

Deck: Purphoros, God of the Forge

Display deck statistics

There are a few cards not on the list that I picked up while looking for the others though, do you see any places where I could put them?

Burn at the Stake
Warbreak Trumpeter
Chain Reaction
Hellrider

Questions:

- Is this a 1v1 deck or multiplayer?
- Why so many basic land fetchers? I'd drop those.
- Other than sweepers, how are you planning to hold everyone off until you can kill them? If this is a multiplayer deck you're gonna be a political target simply for having Purph as your general. You'll need more sweepers and/or defensive cards.

Drop Elixir of Immortality. You're not gonna get the chance to use this. It has never been helpful to me in any EDH deck.

Drop Banefire, especially if this is a multiplayer deck. You'll almost never get a kill with it.

Drop Faithless Looting. If you draw that while your hand is empty you will be sad.

You also really need Mob Justice and Massive Raid in addition to Burn at the Stake.

I'd suggest adding Fork and/or Reverberate simply to have access to your opponents' spells. I've done some comical things with those.

Wild Guess is bad. Replace it with Wheel of Fortune.

I don't see anything that blows up other peoples' artifacts. Maybe look at Shattering Pulse?

I'd suggest replacing Act of Treason with Mass Mutiny. It's hilarious.

Chaos Warp is a staple for tucking generals. Definitely look into that.

I see you have Siege-Gang Commander so I'd also suggest putting in Beetleback Chief. Zo-zu the Punisher would also be hilarious. Goblin Sharpshooter is also awesome and it combos with Goblin Bombardment which you already have in there. He is super annoying. Mizzium Mortars is an obvious sweeper choice since your stuff will not get hit.

Here's my EDH goblins deck that has Purph in it. Hopefully you can get some ideas from it. The whole point of the deck is to just sit behind a wall of goblins and then 1-shot kill people with spells.

http://deckstats.net/decks/1568/66585-edh-goblins-3-1/en

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Deck: Horde Of Notions

Display deck statistics

This is what the deck has turned into. Still trying to get those last 2 temples, haven't had the opportunity to do major trades last month or so. Not many people bring older stuff to trade with! :argh:

My manabase/ramp is swingy. Playing the deck i either ramp out well and topdeck constant threats, or i get stuck at 4 mana looking at all these cards i wish i could cast. A few cards in it, like door to nothingness and collective blessing, were more me looking at them amongst my collection and thinking 'why not?'

All advice appreciated!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Big Nothing posted:

Deck: Horde Of Notions

Display deck statistics

This is what the deck has turned into. Still trying to get those last 2 temples, haven't had the opportunity to do major trades last month or so. Not many people bring older stuff to trade with! :argh:

My manabase/ramp is swingy. Playing the deck i either ramp out well and topdeck constant threats, or i get stuck at 4 mana looking at all these cards i wish i could cast. A few cards in it, like door to nothingness and collective blessing, were more me looking at them amongst my collection and thinking 'why not?'

All advice appreciated!

I like any of the Ranger's Path, Farseek type cards for ramp in a 5-color deck better than stuff that gets basics like Kodama's Reach. I have one of each (snow) basic, all 10 shocks, the 5 mirage fetches, a few duals, and any 2 - color combination I don't have a dual for is a buddy land or whatever they're called (Glacial Fortress et al) the 5 CITP 3-color lands, and a few other non-cycle lands. Plus I have the 5 Alara Obelisks.

I think I have the mana base pretty good, even if the deck isn't. I didn't feel like throwing real fetches in because I don't quite have all 10 yet, and this deck is all about cycles.

As far as changes on your end, Warleader's Helix, Oust, Explore, Dark Temper, and Breaking/Entering are all not great. Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile are much better removal, Farseek is better ramp, Bant Charm is a much better at tucking generals, as is Proteus Staff. I've been thinking Hero's Downfall has a place in commander even though I usually dont play non-RFG spot removal.

4/0 Undefeated Commandicore.dec
http://deckbox.org/sets/651275

Edit: Wild Pair is the best card in this deck, especially with Firebreathers as it lets you tutor for almost any creature in your deck.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 12, 2014

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Wild pair won't be working with using Horde's ability unfortunately.

The mentions about cards have all been good. Entering got in just because it could reanimate and shoot something. Gonna try and find the alara obelisks to replace the signets i think

Been trying to track somebody down with secrets of the dead. Synergy with my general!

for some reason i thought paths/swords were really expensive, turns out i was half right :v:

Yeah those ramp spells look really good. Harrow I've been having major success with.

Legacy weapon has been on my hunting down list too, alongside maelstrom nexus because cascade is awesome.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

My store's go-to EDH formats are 4-man pods or "sit in a big circle and you only see the two people next to you", so I only have to fend off two or three opponents at a time. Thanks for the other suggestions, I actually have a fair number of those cards lying around (I have a Mortars locked up in a Standard deck, and I just traded away a Sharpshooter :(). This is what I came up with after that-

Deck: Purphoros, God of the Forge pt. II

Display deck statistics

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Big Nothing posted:

Wild pair won't be working with using Horde's ability unfortunately.

Nah, but it's still really good.

Unburial Rites seems pretty pointless considering your commander does the same thing. Entomb and the card that puts 3 creatures from your library into your graveyard would be good too. Any of the mental illness cycle of enchantments (Mortiphobia, Narcissism, Pyromania, Hypochondria, Compulsion) would be good too. I especially like Compulsion and Mortiphobia.

Probably more lands too now that I'm looking. Like a minimum of 38. I don't even have 30 in my monocolor decks where color screw is basically impossible.

And yeah, Swords and Path are relatively expensive for removal, but they're the best removal ever printed.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mikujin's GP Minneapolis Mega Cool Megapost
Went to my first ever GP this weekend, and did surprisingly well. Day 1 I managed a respectable 7-2-0 record having had no byes for free rounds. Day 2 I managed a 3-3 record (though it should've been 4-2, more on that later). I ended up breaking into 103rd - 3 places outside of cash prize support, sadly. :unsmith:

First off, I'll start with the deck-list I was running both main and side, and some quick card evaluation (including cards I may want to bring in but am not using currently).

"[b posted:

Whamulet Combo[/b]"]
Mainboard
//Land
1 Forest
4 Gemstone Mine
4 Simic Growth Chamber
3 Gruul Turf
3 Tolaria West
3 City of Brass
2 Glimmerpost
1 Boros Garrison
1 Selesnya Sanctuary
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Tendo Ice Bridge
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Slayer's Stronghold
1 Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1 Vesuva

//Creatures
4 Primeval Titan
4 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
3 Simian Spirit Guide

//Spells
4 Summer Bloom
4 Serum Visions
4 Summoner's Pact
2 Pact of Negation
2 Hive Mind
1 Slaughter Pact

//Artifacts
4 Amulet of Vigor

Sideboard
//Lands
1 Ghost Quarter

//Creatures
1 Thragtusk

//Spells
3 Firespout
3 Seal of Primordium
2 Pact of Negation
2 Hive Mind
1 Slaughter Pact

//Artifacts
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Engineered Explosives

*NOTE: The new pun-tastic name is a must, given that you usually go "WHAM" with all your cards and win (which subsequently makes your opponents go "WAAAH").

First off, you'll notice the mainboard is identical to the list used by Matthias Hunt (who scrubbed out day 1 of the GP playing Storm instead of this awesome deck). It's a solid list, I'll definitely give it that. Some guys out there prefer Ancient Stirrings to Serum Visions, but the inability they have to setup win conditions easily (in that they will put cards like Primetime/Pact/Hive Mind on the bottom of your deck) is just too much of a drawback in my opinion. Considerations I'm making for the main:
-1 City of Brass, +1 Island: This change is a simple modification to the manabase that has multiple upsides. First and foremost is multiple fall-backs for Ghost Quarters and Path to Exile, which there are a ton of. Secondly, your green base is already strong enough that you're never hurting for it, so removing a pain land for a constant blue source is great. It also gives you Hive Mind outs (albeit not many) in the event your opponent Blood Moons you. Imperfect, sure, but better than nothing - especially since our Forest can't cast much on its own.
TEST SLOT: I'm not sure what I'll drop for it, probably a Visions or two, but I want to test Serum Powder. This deck likes to mulligan aggressively into strong hands, and there are enough hands you'll want to pitch that maintaining a 7 draw is great. Strong consideration, however, is that there are several singletons in the main (that aren't necessarily used to combo), and eliminating them T0 could hurt more than help.
Sideboard considerations:
-1 Ghost Quarter, +1 Tectonic Edge: Both of these cards are typically fetched by Primeval Titan to attack land bases (typically Tron), but they are almost always not the FIRST set of lands you'll fetch up (either lands that let you swing, or transmute packages to give you redundancy). While Ghost Quarter is a better answer to Tron (since you can kill before they assemble 4 lands), I think Tec Edge might be strong enough against stuff like American Control that it's worth some testing.
-1 Engineered Explosives, -1 Pact of Negation, -1 Hive Mind, +3 Leyline of Sanctity: I've found that in match-ups where EE is good, typically Firespout (and to a lesser extent, Seal of Primordium) handle the things I'm using EE to hit, so it's not very valuable in-slot. Similarly, I found copy #4 of both Pact of Negation and Hive Mind to be wasted, as in the matches I want to bring them in (Control) I typically preferred to bring one of each rather than two of one or the other, and never brought in all four. Taking these out gives me room to put in Leylines which can actively defend me from decks that focus on hand disruption and direct damage.

Day 1 - Fight!

Round 1 VS. UR Delver (2-0; 1-0 record)
The guy piloting this deck is actually a fellow I know from Winnipeg way up north, so it was kind of cool to reconnect with my Canadian brethren and talk shop before playing wizard poker. This is typically a bad match-up for me. Main deck Spell Pierces, and other cheap counter spells, can really set the deck back if your opponents hand is loaded with them. Fortunately for me...
Game 1 - I combo out Primeval Titan on Turn 1 and swing for 8 before my opponent drops his first land. He's unfamiliar with the deck, outside of some foggy recalled memory. He goes Island, Serum Visions, pass. Next turn I swing for 12, with all sorts of options still in my hand in case things somehow went bad. He spends 30 seconds trying to piece together what happened, nods his head, and we're off to...
Game 2 - He takes a slow lead again with T1 Visions, to my T1 Amulet. He groans since he knows he's already on the back-foot. T2 he keeps a blue open so I suspect a counter-spell; I consider not going off and then I top-deck Pact of Negation. I go for the Summer Bloom, and he Spell Snares it - just as planned. Pact eats it up, Summer Bloom resolves. So I cast another. Then I dump both the Titans I have in my hand, and send in one for 16 by fetching appropriately. Opponent draws for turn, and scoops.

Round 2 VS. Melira Pod (2-0; 2-0 record)
In practice, this has been an easy match when they are using lists that do not main-deck Thoughtseize. And that's pretty much the way it went.
Game 1 - Kept an Amulet-less hand with Summer Blooms, lands, and Titans. T2 Bloom turned into 5 on-board mana, T3 drew an Amulet, casted Titan anyways. Next turn dropped Amulet, started swinging for the fences; my opponent could pod up to Shriekmaw fast enough.
Game 2 - Opponent mulls to 5, I mull to 6. He's got a hand with no pod, but mana dorks. I've got turn 2 Hivemind, followed by Slaughter Pact on his only black source (Birds).

Round 3 VS. Tarmo-Twin (0-2; 2-1 record)
Like UR Delver and American Control, this match-up can be really rough if my opponent draws counterspells early. Especially so if I don't have outs beyond the spell I'm casting.
Game 1 - ... It's even worse if I have to mulligan to 6 on the draw. I get a slow hand, he has Remand/Mana Leak. Summer Bloom doesn't happen, I have no Amulet. Asuza lands Turn 3 naturally, I build my base, manage a turn 4 Titan, but I'm out of cards. He does EOT Pestermite, untap, Twin.
Game 2 - The counter spell problem is even MORE noticeable when I have to mull to 5. I resolve Amulet, and nothing else. He gets Twin operational T4.

Round 4 VS. Tarmo-Twin (2-0; 3-1 record)
Another twin matchup. Rad. Goes a little better this time, since I win the dice roll.
Game 1 - Getting Titan on board turn 2 before counter magic is readily available also helps. My opponent sticks it out for a turn, but there's no recovering from big guy beat down.
Game 2 - I mull to 6 and get a beauty of a hand with turn 2 Hive Mind and Pact of Negation available. Turn 1 I draw Amulet; play Amulet he counters. Turn 2 I draw something irrelevant, play Amulet, Summer Bloom out a Hive Mind, pass turn. Opponent looks confused, continues. He holds mana up. I draw Summoner's Pact, cast it triggering Hive Mind, retain priority, Pact of Negation my Pact, another Hive Mind trigger. My opponent quickly realizes that no matter what he plays he's stuck paying two Pacts worth of upkeep costs and scoops.

Round 5 VS. U/B Tron[?] (2-0; 4-1 record)
Admittedly, Tron match-ups are 50/50 but always one-sided... When I'm against G/R Tron. I'm actually not 100% sure on what this Tron list was, or what it's goal was, or whether it was really Tron at all, and there's a reason for that. A really short reason. My opponent only played 3 turns of Magic. And not by his choice.
Game 1 - I win the dice roll. Keep 7. Among them, the following: Simian Spirit Guide, Simic Growth Chamber, Amulet of Vigor x 2, Summer Bloom, Primeval Titan, and another land. You guys see a bunch of cards. My eyes light up: I see the turn 1 kill. I exile SSG, drop Amulet, drop Chamber, Bloom, drop Chamber, use 1 to cast Amulet, drop Chamber twice more, play Titan. Slayer's Stronghold and Boros Garrison come out, two triggers - Primetime is now a 10/6 with Trample Haste and Vigilance. Mean. He swings, I find Vesuva (as Garrison), and Sunhome. Tap for mana, untap, tap for mana, give him double-strike. Get in for 20. My opponent looks dumbfounded, grins, then quips "At least you don't know how to sideboard against me!" The tension in the games beside me is interrupted by the absolute hilarity they just witnessed. Two of them ask to verify it was a turn 1 kill. I grin.
Game 2 - He plays Creeping Tar-Pit, I immediately think Grixis Control. I go Gemstone Mine into Amulet. Turn 2 he plays Tower and says "GUESS YOU KNOW WHAT I'M ON NOW!", then drops a Torpor Orb, great sideboard tech... against Titan, anyways. Not even a little bit. Turn 2 I drop Azusa, play some lands, pass back. He plays a Darksteel Citadel and a Mox Opal, activates Tar-Pit, gets in for 3. I play another land and Hive Mind, Pact. We look at the clock and realize we have 45 minutes left to kill. I leave, still not sure what I was actually playing against.

Round 6 VS. UR Delver (2-0; 5-1 record)
Another Delver match-up, another quick beatdown. This one could have gone sideways, but instead life was great.
Game 1 - I turn 1 Amulet, he turn 1 Serum Visions. I turn 2 Primeval Titan, he cries a little bit on the inside. I bash for 8, he asks how often this deck does this - I laugh and tell him "A lot today!" and he scoops after drawing his next and considering his options.
Game 2 - He mulls to 6, and so do I. I open a hand looking at: Gemstone Mine, Simic Growth Chamber, Simian Spirit Guide, Azusa, Amulet, and Chalice of the Void. I know that he'll do everything in his power to stop an Amulet from resolving, so - despite being able to t1 Chalice - I go for Amulet (upside obviously being I get Amulet). He takes the bait, cracks his fetch and Spell Pierces. He untaps, taps out for Young Pyromancer to try to start building tempo, passes. I untap, draw a second karoo land, exile SSG and tap for Chalice on 1. He groans. I play land, pass. He swings 2, nothing else. I draw Titan. I play land, Azusa, and dump the rest of my lands. He untaps, swings with YP expecting me to value Azusa higher; I block, he bolts me [getting countered] just to get a token on the way out. I draw another untapped source and Primetime it up. I get Chamber/Tolaria to start Titan chaining off pacts. He has no more plays, the token doesn't block Titan well. He never draws an out.

Round 7 VS. RUG Scapeshift (2-0; 6-1 record)
This match-up is pretty non-interactive outside Remands and Cryptics on his end. I have zero experience or practice with this match-up, so rely on what little information I do know about the deck to try and prime my plays: namely, ramp faster, control harder.
Game 1 - I win the dice roll, my opening hand presents me one option: ramp harder. I go Amulet T1, into T2 Azusa dump lands, into T3 Pact+Titan and swing. He was tapped out on Sakura-Tribe Elder, unsure of how gassy the hand could be. He untaps, leaving mana up for Cryptic on my turn, unfortunately for him I'm packing sweet sweet Pacts. Opponent, who is a rad dude I chum with a lot day 2, comments: "No offense, but that's not the kind of deck I thought I'd play against at an X-1 table. I don't even think I have sideboard options for that. Like... what do I even do?"
Game 2 - I mull to 6, and have an awkward hand: Gemstone Mine, City of Brass, City of Brass, Serum Visions, Amulet, Boros Garrison. I let myself fall into the Serum Visions trap, but hell, we should try it out, right? My T1 draw is Amulet, by draw off Visions is Amulet, and I scry Hive Mind and Pacts to the top. Next turn I try to cast Hive Mind, Remanded. Next turn I try casting it again, Mana Leaked. One mine is now on 1 counter, the other on 2. I have to manage my mana and slow down, since one Karoo land - and an off-color one at that - won't get me there. He bolts me EOT. Next turn he Helixes me, leaves mana open. Over the next two turns I draw Pact of Negation and Summoner's Pact. He's got three mana up, not representing Cryptic, and he's now got enough mana on board that if he 'Shifts I'm dead - I have to go for it it. I Summoner's Pact, Remanded. Odd choice? I Pact again, Swansong. I Pact it. Here's my chance: I grab Primetime. Make GG off Mines, losing one. Float RW on Cities. Float 3R 3W off Garrison: total mana 2G 4W 4R. Cast Titan, leaving up 2R 2W. Fetch Slayer's Stronghold, pay for pumps on two of three triggers. Swing, get Sunhome/Vesuva for double-strike. Opponent blocks with Snaps, but trample for 19 while he's on 17 means I still get it. Good thing, too, since for a change I'm the guy who can't pay for pact upkeeps next turn.

Round 8 VS. Melira Pod (1-2; 6-2 record)
Pod again. Guy is a MODO player, and has never played in a live event. After round 1, he asks if I'm some MODO player who crushes dailies with this deck - it's not me. I get asked this a bunch on Day 2. Despite being a great match-up for me, I get horrible openers game 2/3, get hosed by disruption, and get beat down by bad draws.
Game 1 - I mull to 6, and keep a T1 Titan hand on the play. Drop Titan, swing go. Opponent draws, plays Birds, unsure of how my deck works. I swing lethal the following turn.
Game 2 - I mull to 5, shipping two zero land hands (how does that even happen with 28 main!?). I opens with Thoughtseize. Ouch. Turn 2 he plays Heirarch, Thoughtseize again. Super ouch. 1 non-land card left, and not one that I can play. Turn 3 is nail in the coffin with T3 E.Witness, Thoughtseize AGAIN. I don't scoop, since he's Thoughtseized and Shocked himself to 11, and if I somehow draw gas I'm in the clear. I don't draw gas.
Game 3 - Another mull to 5, best play I can come up with is T2 Azusa (off of SSG). He goes T1 Bird. I Drop Azusa. I Thoughtseizes away my Pact. I build mana up, never draw another live card, he goes infinite with Spike Feeder and Archangel. Sometimes your deck beats you up way more than your opponent can.

Round 9 (the win-and-in) VS. BR Burn (2-0; 7-2 record)
Burn is another awesome match-up for this deck. Not only do I race faster than they do, I also have a back-up main deck life gain package (even if it's small scale). Like the Zoo matchup (also great for me), my primarily plan is simply to crush them before they can crush me.
Game 1 - I'm on the draw, but get T1 Titan anyways. It eats double-bolt on T2, which is fine, since T1 gives me transmute mana so I just tutor up a pact and get ready to rain another one on him. He zaps me for damage, and now I'm down like 9 life. I untap, draw Titan (who needs Pact?), cast, swing, grab double-strike. My opponent cringes. I reach for the Thragtusk in my sideboard.
Game 2 - I have Amulet [sadly only off of City], and cards to go T2 Azusa, with T4 Primetime in sight. Opponent taps out T1 and T2 to Vexing Devil (he doesn't hit land 2 for the 4 turns the game lasts), so I get my Titan, but can't swing since I drew Stronghold and need to play other lands to cast Titan; no love lost. He casts another Devil since Azusa already got her land drops - I get nervous since I'm not at 4 (having had to use City several times). I untap, draw Sunhome (rats!) and since I can't get a kill online this turn decide to bolster my life total instead. I play Primetime, grabbing two Glimmerposts, (+4 life, 4 gained total). Then I swing, grabbing a Karoo and Vesuva, which enters as Glimmerpost (+3 life, 7 gained total), bouncing Vesuva to hand. I play Vesuva (+3 life, 10 gained), another Karoo, grab Vesuva, and drop Vesuva one more time (+3 life, 13 total). As if that wasn't enough, I have a Pact, and tons of mana ramped, so I figured "May as well" and pact for Thragtusk, which I cast, because I can't feel safe under 20 (+5 life, 18 total gained, 22 final life total). My opponent scoffs, scoops, ignores my "Good game" and handshake offer, and clears without even bothering to sign the slip. Sick burns, bro.

At this point I'm feeling really good about the deck. Despite others' concerns that it was inconsistent, I've found that it goes off fairly reliably (though not every game is T1 mega-plays), but you have to be willing to ship hands that don't have fast action. And Serum Visions is a god-damned trap card. A mediocre hand that becomes great with 1 card that instead has Serum Visions should be a ship, but I talk myself into keeping it (because Visions!) We still got there, though, on to day 2!

Dawn, Day 2: Less than 24 Hours Remain

Bright-eyed and bushy tailed (or maybe the exact opposite after going out drinking to celebrate and having to get up at 6 to drive to venue), I bolster myself for more gruelling competition.

Not Round 9, sitting across Paulo Vitar
Man, I'm super glad the judges tell us this is just the player meeting, and that we're just signing forms. I mean, I'm not intimidated by playing a pro (just another player), but I don't wanna be the guy who plays one and loses, y'know? After we sign forms and get ready to actually play, announcement goes out: they got us super good with their gag, this is actually round pairings.

Actually Round 9 VS. Paulo Vitar - Team CFB Pod Brew (0-2; 7-3 record)
He's playing pod, and I know it. I saw all the other CFB guys playing it. I'm great at stomping down Pod game 1, and my match-up usually doesn't get worse in the board. I'm looking forward to this match; I don't just want a button I want a win.
Game 1 - I'm on the draw, losing yet another dice roll. But fear not, I trust in my deck's ability to push out winning hands. Until I draw a grip of lands. No gas, no go. Mull to 6. This hand has 1 land in it, generally not something I like to see. Once again, ship it back. Open up a hand with potential; it's got Amulet, it's got Azusa, it's got lands that let me play both. Unfortunately, this is where I learn the difference in the CFB Pod brew: 4 maindeck Thoughtseize, and Paulo opens with 1. This ok-looking hand looks worse now. I drop lands like I do, pass. He plays Bird, Thoughtseizes me again. It feels like my day 1 bad pod draw all over again. Even more so when I draw Pact and he E.Witnesses back Thoughtseize to grind home the fact I won't be taking game 1 off of him. He eventually goes infinite, and I've got no outs.
Game 2 - Somehow, I draw another zero land hand. Yowza. Mull to 6. City of Brass, Serum Visions, Growth Chamber, Amulet, Simian Spirit Guide, Seal of Primordium. Imperfect, but on the play and mulligan it looks good enough with T1 draw fixing into T2 Pod Removal. Unfortunately, Visions sets up a second Amulet, since I know he'll be running Pridemage and have removal for Amulet. He plays Pridemage right on time T2, passes back. I draw Azusa. I play both Amulets, sure I can stick one and hoping he'll use Pridemage on Seal at this point since. Instead, he swings, then Pridemages one Amulet and Abrupt Decays the other. I untap, play Azusa, drop my remaining cards (just land) and hope for the best. He durdles, doesn't have gas, and Birds only hits for 0. I draw a Pact, play it, get a Titan out. Things are looking up. I grab Transmute package materials since Amulets are dead, and he Paths my guy. I know that even tapping out to pay for pact next turn I've still got transmute mana for another pact, not totally awful. We grind a couple turns, he's drawing dead (Resto Angel blocks Azusa ok, though), and since I got Stronghold down earlier I'm just waiting for a Titan so I can play and swing. And I get it, drop my guy and swing. Get more transmute online. Paulo untaps, slams Pod. He's been saving a Spike Feeder in hand, and I didn't transmute last turn (let alone for Slaughter Pact) since I was suddenly way ahead on board. He goes infinite. I get super sad. At least I get a button?

Round 10 VS. Rock (2-0; 8-3 record)
One of the few other match-ups I have seen little off, and practised even less against. I don't even put him on the deck until his T2 Confidant, at which point I'm sure I can get the wins in if I don't mull to 5.
Game 1 - I don't mull to 5, but a mull to 6 is ok. I'm on the draw and it turns out he doesn't have Thoughtseize in his opener. Radtastic. I play land, hold Amulet to deny info (and cross my fingers for no Thoughtseize), and sure enough he drops Bob on T2. Azusa drops, and gets me set-up to go off next turn with Hivemind. Unfortunately, my opponent hits Abrupt Decay and has the Thoughtseize - so he kills both Amulet and my hopes of Hive Minding him (which I could still do). Fortunately, this a massive drain on his life total: he has had to fetch+shock twice to keep his plays going, and 4 damage from Bob already has him at 10. He passes, I have a Titan, but no Amulet means I need to wait one turn for my land to untap to play it (I'm down 2 and my land is a karoo). He goes, Bob hits Goyf (opponent to 8), casts Thoughtseize again (to 6), drops his first Goyf. He doesn't swing with Bob this turn like he had been, and I'm not sure why. I draw Amulet, so I drop Primetime, give him haste, and go. My opponent finally gets to trade Goyf+Bob for my dude, but not before I put a double-strike land on the board; my opponent looks relieved. He draws, whiffs on land, and passes it back. I untap, draw without peeking at my card, move to combat: I give Azusa +2/+0 and Doublestrike off lands. My opponent can't believe he got beat down by a lovely summer bloom, and neither can I (though in fairness, I had Pact backup in hand at that point).
Game 2 - I get a great hand, resistant to Thoughtseize, which my opponent doesn't have. Which is good, because when I go T1 Hive Mind Summoner's Pact he has no way to pay for it. Livin' the dream.

Round 11 VS. American Control (1-2, 8-4 record)
One of my worse match-ups, since I have to get either Hive Mind or Titan out fast, but not necessarily with lethal back-ups. Early Hive Minds in this match-up completely stonewall opponents since to them Hive Mind essentially reads: "5U, Opponents don't resolve counterspells ever forever. Suck it." I'm probably like 40-60 against this deck, and only marginally better after boarding.
Game 1 - I have to mull to 5 to get playable stuff, while my opponent - on the play - keeps 7. Already off to a bad start, since I don't have T1-2-3 anything without some draws. He plays Colonnade, passes. I draw and play Amulet, hoping for the best. He plays land, pass. Summer Bloom gets Remanded. Next turn it gets Mana Leaked. I'm lucky and drew a second one, it gets Cryptic Commanded. I have not been able to build a land base, and he untaps to play Ajani. I know I'm out.
Game 2 - I mull to 6, get a great hand. T2 Primeval Titan against a tapped land means I can swing and get a tutor package, which I do. My opponent grimaces. He plays land, says go. I untap, go to combat, swing for the fences, and he doesn't have Path or Helix. Game over man.
Game 3 - I draw a double Serum Visions hand with Amulet in it, and assume that since I'll see 8 cards in two turns surely I'll fix myself to some good playables. I don't. I relearn what I should've remember: Serum Visions is not a good enough card to get you there, even if it is a good card.

Round 12 VS. Burn (2-0; 9-4 record)
Another burn match-up, totally awesome. I love playing these guys, because they are so easy to beat. Their creatures don't beat mine, and my ability to play guys and gain a ton of life means they have trouble getting there. Let's see how it goes.
Game 1 - I draw a great hand; it can't go off T1 or T2, but I can Bloom on 1 (with SSG) to setup a T3 Primeval Titan which is totally ok against burn. He leads with Goblin Guide and puts a Growth Chamber in my hand, sure why not. I draw for turn: Amulet. Well, he did this to himself, really. I exile the SSG that was supposed to help me Bloom, and go off immediately. Swing 8, get lands. My opponent holds back his Goblin with two mana up. I swing in my guy double-striking and my opponent goes grey since he doesn't have double-bolt. He blocks, sits at 2. Draws, scoops.
Game 2 - He brings in 8 cards for this match-up, I bring in one. I'm curious about what he's got. Unfortunately for him, he mulls to 5 while I'm starting down at T3 Hive Mind kill. He goes T1 Dragonskull Summit pass, T2 draws land plays Bloodchief Ascension into Goblin Guide, draws me a land. Once again, my next draw helps me go off a turn earlier than planned. He can't afford Pact upkeeps on that budget, loses the game (and drops, giving me lovely tie-breakers which is relevant later).

Round 13 VS. American Control (1-2, 9-5 record)
Once again, I stare down at a match-up I can win against, but it's gonna take some battling to get there. Something dumb happens during this round.
Game 1 - I have to once again relearn why keeping "But Serum Visions!" hands is not a good idea. I punt this game by virtue of not taking a mulligan, and my opponent is able to capitalize on it handily.
Game 2 - I mull to 6 and grin - ye olde T1 Titan. My opponent can't stop the rush, and dies on T2. He hasn't seen the deck before, and after last game didn't see much of it. He now says he gets why it's good.
Game 3 - I have to mull to 5 on the draw, so I'm already behind. Fortunately for me, I've actually got plays. Summer Bloom on 3 is slow (I've got 2 karoos and Vesuva), but with a Hive Mind in hand I'm at least looking at win conditions for T4. Opponent plays Colonnade, so I do too. He plays a Tec. Edge, having kept a 2 lander (brave boy), and zaps me assuming I can't go off (and I can't). I play Summer Bloom, ramp to 5. My draws have been Green Pact Blue Pact, so life is lookling good. Next turn, after draw, my opponent Cliques me: I show him Chamber, Chamber, Hive Mind, Pact, Pact - he doesn't understand the combo (remember: he's tapped out) and lets me keep it. I'm so happy he let me keep a winner I don't care about my top card. Wait, top card? I don't actually get to draw a card. We both catch it as soon as I lift the card off my deck, but it never touches my hand and neither of us catches a glimpse of it, so I just slam it down and we call judge. Judge has to hear our explanation 0 with my opponent explaining his V. Clique and confirming that the card was not in hand, and that he knows what my hand is, before Judge finally settles on a Game Loss. Before I can call for an appeal my opponent does; super chill guy, super nice guy, and not even Canadian?! Head Judge comes over, but I'm lacking faith in the appeal. Not because I don't know what should happen, but because there have been nothing but atrocious calls all through Day 1 and Day 2, and the Head Judge has not passed one appeal. (ie. If I make a Clone of Harmonic Sliver, how many triggers do I get? 2, or 3? Head Judge says 1, and 1 is final.) Sure enough, despite the fix literally being "Put the card on top of your library" since nothing was actually drawn into hand or seen, HJ upholds the GL. The punt of punts.

Round 14 VS. Zoo (2-0, 10-5 final record)
I'm just looking forward to blowing off steam after last round, so I'm just glad to sit down and play cards. I don't actually find out what I'm playing against until Game 2, though, because...
Game 1 - I'm on the draw. She's goes Misty, I hedge on her not being able to crack and Dispel, go exile SSG, play Amulet, Chamber into Summer Bloom, drop Hive Mind, green pact. She's not seen the deck before, so I walk her through it all (she's a good sport), and scoops it up, chiming that she didn't even know there were decks in modern that can win on T1!
Game 2 - I mull to 6, and have double amulet with enough juice that if I whiff on Pacts/Primes for 2 turns I can just transmute one up - which I end up having to do later. She goes T1 no play (bad start for zoo, but she also mulled to 6). Then she goes T2 Pridemage, which is great for her. T3 she pounds in, holds up mana to sac. I don't play Amulet, but transmute for Pact. Next turn she plays Goyf, swings in, murders Amulet, then drops a Nacatl. Her board is looking beefy, but I topdeck a Titan. Then I plsy it off bloom, swing 8. She doesn't have lethal on the board, but she's got a Goyf in hand and is hedging on me not being able to follow up with more gas, so she blocks. I've ramped fine, pass. She goes Goyf, pass. I topdeck another Titan, so I play it. Between Titan untaps, a SSG, and my land for turn, I have enough to Pact up another Titan and let it swing. Life's good. She eats 8, goes to 12. Draws, plays another Goyf. I untap, pay for Pact, draw Pact, so I get ANOTHER Titan on board with his bros, and swing for 20. She double-checks to make sure they have trample before scooping.

All-in-all a pretty satisfying performance for my first GP appearance ever. In the end, breakers put my 3 places out of cash prizes (too bad my burn opponent dropped!), which stung all the more considering that not punting the America match gives me an extra win. Assuming a similar match result in the last round, I could've been top 64 making decent money, instead of just outside the bubble!

There's so much more I can say about the deck (combos, lines, boarding), so if anyone has questions by all means, ask. I have no intentions of not continuing to play the one deck in modern (crappy infernal plunge storm doesn't count) that can kill you before you get a turn.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have Amulet together (though the SB is junk). I'll probably try your sideboard tonight to see if it treats me any better.
And SSG? Whoa. Gotta try that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Every bit of my white mana producing lands produce green as well. T1 Forest/elvish mystic, t2 forest, tap forest, experiment 1, forest and elvish mystic, BTE-BTE-BTE-brush strider.

Congratulations on living in magical Christmas land. You are aware that the white splash for 3 cards and 7 white sources is really bad, right? You are not going to be able to cast your spells even remotely reliably with so few white sources. Also, 63 is never correct. 61 is pretty much never correct as well, but 63 really is just never the right number of cards to play.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have Amulet together (though the SB is junk). I'll probably try your sideboard tonight to see if it treats me any better.
And SSG? Whoa. Gotta try that.
My sideboard 15 was tuned pretty specifically to my local meta before I went down. Leylines, for example, weren't used since there just wasn't enough for them to do.

And yea, Spirit Guides are absolutely awesome for enabling aggressive starts - especially the two different turn 1 kills the deck can produce. The most important things I mentioned that you absolutely need to look for:
  • Opening Hand - Review it with scrutiny. What can it do and how soon can it do it? Sometimes being able to build your mana base is a strong enough hand (if you, say, can build to 6 by turn 3) if you don't have an immediate play. Sometimes, especially against control, you want to have more than that. Be aggressive with your mulligans - especially on the draw. Do not let Serum Visions trick you into thinking your hand is good. You will probably still get burned by this one. It's a really easy trap to fall into.
  • Lines of Play (Fetches) - Primeval Titans will fetch different lands depending on what you and your opponent have up. Did you just play Titan, and do you have Amulet? Slayer's Stronghold + Boros Garrison are ideal if your opponent doesn't have removal mana up. If they do, or if you don't have Amulet, fetch a transmute package, typically Growth Chamber and Tolaria West (picking up Tolaria), to be ready to fire out another Titan. If you have Amulet, you can actually tap the two lands to get Transmute mana up and save yourself time. Other times, like mentioned above, you may want to fetch up the life gain package. Just make sure you don't snap decide on what lands to grab - I've changed my fetch decisions multiple times mid fetch to try and make the right plays.
  • Lines of Play (Win Conditions) - Big mean and green guys win you more games than anything else, but sometimes you'll get Hive Mind online and have to figure out what exactly you need to do. Sometimes it's as easy as cast Titan fetch haste package swing, or drop Hive Mind cast Pact pass turn - others you have to consider what options your opponent has open, whether or not you can protect your cast with a Pact, and anything in between. Despite this, you always want to go off as fast as possible (you are a combo deck), so always try to. Just make sure you keep all your options open. If you have mana enough to both transmute and cast a win condition, consider transmuting first to get a Pact (whichever you need) that can help be insurance - either to get you another dude on the board, or maybe to make sure your thing resolves.
  • Don't Sweat the Sideboard - Your deck can drop turn 1 Titans and Hive Minds just as well before boarding as it can afterwards - so if you don't know what to board, don't feel pressured to board. Obviously easy choices - like removing Slaughter Pact against control - can be done with little hesitation. But if you're not quite sure what to bring in against, say, your opponent's Living End deck, or your buddies Soul Sisters deck, don't worry about it.

Personally, I'm gonna do a heavy review of my 60 before looking further into my 75. As mentioned, I think mainboard Island over City of Brass is probably one avenue I'll be taking, but I'm still going to try to find more ways to make things just that much more consistent. I'll keep goons posted an amendments I make.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That deck looks like a lot of fun if kind of silly. I'm guessing that the wincon is to ramp immediately and always, either into Hive Mind+Pact or Boros land-backed Titans? My LGS has a bunch of Amulets in their $1-$5 binder, and the card's been getting decent buzz recently so I'm always tempted to grab a playset for a rainy day.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm building a standard King Macar deck to durdle about with in multiplayer games and it has led me to a question. If I use Elite Arcanist to copy a Volcanic Geyser then is the x whatever I pay when I use the arcanist or would the x always be 0?

In case you are wondering why I would ask this in relation to King Macar since these are blue and red cards, the basic combo is Macar and Ral Zarek, and I'm trying to think of something to do with all that extra mana from gold tokens.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Failboattootoot posted:

If I use Elite Arcanist to copy a Volcanic Geyser then is the x whatever I pay when I use the arcanist or would the x always be 0?

The X in the copied spell will remain the same.
Whoops, I looked up Meletis Charlatan.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 14, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

That deck looks like a lot of fun if kind of silly. I'm guessing that the wincon is to ramp immediately and always, either into Hive Mind+Pact or Boros land-backed Titans? My LGS has a bunch of Amulets in their $1-$5 binder, and the card's been getting decent buzz recently so I'm always tempted to grab a playset for a rainy day.

The goal is always ramp to Titan or Hive Mind. The lines you take afterwards always depend on what you have available; with Titan, for example, you want Boros Garrison+Slayers' Stronghold if you have Amulet back-up to swing immediately. It's definitely lots of fun, that's for sure.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm building a standard King Macar deck to durdle about with in multiplayer games and it has led me to a question. If I use Elite Arcanist to copy a Volcanic Geyser then is the x whatever I pay when I use the arcanist or would the x always be 0?
The stack is the only place where x= what was paid for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've been testing this list out at my LGS and I think it's really well positioned for the current meta against anything but MonoB and especially against Junk or Sphinx rev decks (the majority of my local meta these days) because of the access to so much hand disruption:

MonoB Aggro
18 Swamp
4 Mutavault

4 Thoughtsieze
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Doom Blade
1 Ultimate Price

4 Brain Maggot
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Gnarled Scarhide
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
4 Tormented Hero
3 Mogis' Maurader
2 Herald of Toremnt
3 Spiteful Returned
2 Master of the Feast

Sideboard:
2 Desecration Demon
4 Duress
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Pithing Needle
4 Lifebane Zombie
1 Ultimate Price

Thoughts? I think the SB might need a bit of tweaking in the form of adding Bile Blights. As far as Master of the Feast, it's been up and down for me but it feels very powerful. I want to try it against other decks.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Any suggestions on how to improve a Weenie White deck before I take it out to FNM? It is a slightly modified mtgtop8 standard deck. I dropped the 4 mutavaults (added 4 more plains) and the 2 Brimaz (replaced with 2 Precinct Captain). I've also considered replacing the Precinct Captain with Aegis of the Gods (I have one, another wouldn't be too much) or Pacifisms.

Creatures:
4 Boros Elite
4 Dryad Militant
4 Judge's Familiar
4 Loyal Pegasus
4 Solider of the Pantheon
4 Azorius Arrester
4 Daring Skyjek
2 Imposing Sovereign
2 Precinct Captain
2 Banisher Priest

Spells:
4 Brave the Elements

Other:
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Spear of Heliod

Land:
20 Plains

Sideboard:
1 Celestial Flare
1 Imposing Sovereign
3 Keening Apparition
1 Rest in Peace
3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
2 Banisher Priest
3 Rootborn Defenses
1 Spear of Heliod

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Move Ajani to the SB and add another to side in vs control. Take out spear for hall of triumph (there is much less artifact kill floating around than enchantment kill). I would also cut the banisher priests or aresters and put in a few immortal servitude, it's a terrific hedge against any rev deck. The way that deck wants to win is to start playing 2-3 dudes a turn and beat down. The only thing you should need in terms of a creautre that isn't a 1 drop is predict captain. And of course you want mutavaults. I've also seen this deck splashing R for boros charms which gives you a ton of resiliency vs verdict and reach.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mcmagic posted:

Move Ajani to the SB and add another to side in vs control. Take out spear for hall of triumph (there is much less artifact kill floating around than enchantment kill). I would also cut the banisher priests or aresters and put in a few immortal servitude, it's a terrific hedge against any rev deck. The way that deck wants to win is to start playing 2-3 dudes a turn and beat down. The only thing you should need in terms of a creautre that isn't a 1 drop is predict captain. And of course you want mutavaults. I've also seen this deck splashing R for boros charms which gives you a ton of resiliency vs verdict and reach.

Thanks. I'll definitely give the immortal servitude and hall of triumphs a try. I can't really drop $100 on a playset of mutavaults without a beating from the wife though. So I'm going to have to try to make do without them for the time being.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I don't know that I agree with Servitude outside of a SB 1-2 against control. It's a 4-5 drop in a deck that only has 20 lands. If I get a chance later I'll post the list I used to go 3-2 at a GPT this past weekend.

The one thing that immediately sticks out is that I had good results with Banishing Light over Keening Apparition, it is a pretty straight hits more/harder to remove upgrade even if it isn't on a body.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boco_T posted:

I don't know that I agree with Servitude outside of a SB 1-2 against control. It's a 4-5 drop in a deck that only has 20 lands. If I get a chance later I'll post the list I used to go 3-2 at a GPT this past weekend.

The one thing that immediately sticks out is that I had good results with Banishing Light over Keening Apparition, it is a pretty straight hits more/harder to remove upgrade even if it isn't on a body.

You don't want more than 2 of them because they are a dead draw in your opening hand but they can steal you a game esepcially as insurance against playing out your hand too fast and getting 4 for 1'd with a Verdict. I'm not a fan of banishing light here as if you're going 1 for 1 with your opponent you should be winning that game anyway.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

End of Life Guy posted:

The X in the copied spell will remain the same.

Uh, this isn't true. The X is always zero. You're playing the spell without paying it's cost. To pay for Elite Arcanist, you look at what the cmc of the spell is, and pay that. Arcanist doesn't care that the spell has an X in it, it just wants to know what its cmc is. And, since you're casting the spell without paying its cost, then X is zero.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Uh, this isn't true. The X is always zero. You're playing the spell without paying it's cost. To pay for Elite Arcanist, you look at what the cmc of the spell is, and pay that. Arcanist doesn't care that the spell has an X in it, it just wants to know what its cmc is. And, since you're casting the spell without paying its cost, then X is zero.
poo poo, you're totally right. It says copy the card. I was thinking it was like wild ricochet, which will totally copy the X. I should have read the card, instead of assuming it was a normal copy effect. Still, X= cost paid only on the stack is correct. Meletis Charlatan will copy the X if that's what you need, but you pay for the cost.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 14, 2014

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
All right, Red aggro got some awesome cards in JOU and I wanna play it for Game Day. Here's what I've been testing.

Deck: Gotta Go Fast

//Main
2 Madcap Skills
4 Lightning Strike
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Hall of Triumph
4 Rubblebelt Maaka
4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
20 Mountain
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Mogis's Warhound

//Sideboard
2 Madcap Skills
4 Skullcrack
2 Seismic Stomp
1 Pithing Needle
2 Pyrewild Shaman
4 Ash Zealot

Display deck statistics

Never really played a deck so all-in like this but it's really fun. Ash Zealot is the weird slot. I know it belongs in the 75 but it doesn't play well with explosive BTE hands, and without Madcap Skills and Firefist Striker, Sylvan Caryatid and Courser of Kruphix basically make game 1 unwinnable. Mogis's Warhound, Rubblebelt Maaka and Madcap Skills make an insanely nice suite for making Prophetic Flamespeaker loving bonkers though, and they're also generally useful cards that just help you get there. (Also too cheap for Mutavaults :( )

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soothing Cacophony posted:

All right, Red aggro got some awesome cards in JOU and I wanna play it for Game Day. Here's what I've been testing.

Deck: Gotta Go Fast

//Main
2 Madcap Skills
4 Lightning Strike
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Hall of Triumph
4 Rubblebelt Maaka
4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
20 Mountain
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Mogis's Warhound

//Sideboard
2 Madcap Skills
4 Skullcrack
2 Seismic Stomp
1 Pithing Needle
2 Pyrewild Shaman
4 Ash Zealot

Display deck statistics

Never really played a deck so all-in like this but it's really fun. Ash Zealot is the weird slot. I know it belongs in the 75 but it doesn't play well with explosive BTE hands, and without Madcap Skills and Firefist Striker, Sylvan Caryatid and Courser of Kruphix basically make game 1 unwinnable. Mogis's Warhound, Rubblebelt Maaka and Madcap Skills make an insanely nice suite for making Prophetic Flamespeaker loving bonkers though, and they're also generally useful cards that just help you get there. (Also too cheap for Mutavaults :( )

I would maindeck the Ash Zealots either way. Haste is incredibly important for early damage. If nothing else, you could sideboard them out against green decks (or Mono-U with Frostburn Weirds) during games where you're on the draw.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I wouldn't mind some feedback on my Orzhov Humans deck - Mikujin has been brewing it with me already

Deck: Orzhov Humanity

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
3 Brave the Elements
1 Path of Bravery
1 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
2 Athreos, God of Passage
2 Banisher Priest
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Cartel Aristocrat
2 Imposing Sovereign
4 Precinct Captain
4 Daring Skyjek
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Tormented Hero
3 Xathrid Necromancer
3 Boros Elite

//Sideboard
2 Pithing Needle
3 Thoughtseize
2 Banisher Priest
2 Deicide
3 Pain Seer
1 Spear of Heliod
2 Bile Blight

Display deck statistics

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So I threw this together on a whim on MTGO, because I missed using Venser. The planeswalker, not the other one.

Deck: Venser Control

//Main
2 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
3 Blade Splicer
3 Restoration Angel
4 Stonehorn Dignitary
4 Venser, the Sojourner
3 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Remand
3 Swan Song
3 Cloudshift
4 Mana Leak
1 Into the Roil
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Plains
3 Island
3 Halimar Depths
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Temple of Enlightenment

//Sideboard
1 Swan Song
1 Into the Roil
3 Stony Silence
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Grand Abolisher
3 Spellskite

Display deck statistics

Basic goal is pretty obvious: Lock them down with Stonehorn Dignitary and Venser, beat them up with Blade Splicer golems and angels. Everybody always forgets that his -1 makes everybody unblockable, and his emblem is a win condition on it's own. Main deck ensnaring bridge is hilarious and unexpected. If I can land it, it's usually game (after a very long time), as I just build board presence until I can blink it with Venser and attack, and he can't attack when it comes back into play on the end step. If you don't have a creature or bridge to blink, halimar depths or temple of enlightenment are actually pretty solid choices.

It's been doing surprisingly well on MTGO, although I haven't played many top decks and I suspect it's just too slow for real competition, but I'll be damned if it isn't hilariously fun to play. It feels like cheating sometimes, where they never get to attack and you can exile any of their permanents with every spell you cast. If I can survive until I can hit a fourth land drop, it's rare that I lose.

There are some cards that I'm unsure of, however. Remand just isn't working all that well in most circumstances, considering I'm playing the long game and they can re-cast it, and if I have a bridge out I don't want to be drawing cards. I'm thinking maybe more hard counters, but I'm not sure which ones to use. Cloudshift works amazingly well in some games and is useless in others. I think I'll cut it either down to 2 or entirely, once I decide what to put in. Into the Roil is just a pet card of mine and goes in almost every deck I build, just because it's so versatile, but I know I could probably use something else instead. Echoing Truth, maybe.

Sideboard is okay for now. I originally had 3 Hurkyl's Recalls in there, but it was overkill in any affinity match up. Stony Silence, Ensnaring Bridge and Stonehorn all seemed to do enough work without it, and it's like twenty bucks on MTGO, so I decided against it. Leylines are very useful, because I'm basically dead to Burn.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've never had so many people rage quit on me as I have with this deck, it really is amazing.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I would maindeck the Ash Zealots either way. Haste is incredibly important for early damage. If nothing else, you could sideboard them out against green decks (or Mono-U with Frostburn Weirds) during games where you're on the draw.

I guess I just don't know where to cut. Firefist Striker is the obvious place but BTE -> Firefist is such a crazy strong T2 play against pretty much any deck and it sucks to lose that. Maybe I'm just too attached to that line of play though since it's so strong when it works out. I guess I'll swap em for Firefists for now and see how that plays for a bit.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dr. Stab posted:

Whoops, I looked up Meletis Charlatan when I answered the question about Elite Arcanist. Thanks for catching that.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

I guess I just don't know where to cut. Firefist Striker is the obvious place but BTE -> Firefist is such a crazy strong T2 play against pretty much any deck and it sucks to lose that. Maybe I'm just too attached to that line of play though since it's so strong when it works out. I guess I'll swap em for Firefists for now and see how that plays for a bit.

I'd cut the Firedrinkers instead for the Ash Zealots, and put the Firedrinkers in the sideboard. I somehow thought that Firedrinker Satyr was a 2 drop, sorry about that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I prefer Pyrewild Shaman over the Maaka, actually. Maybe go 2 and 2? Being able to recur it, and it being a 3/1 body for 3 in a pinch is better than 3/3 for 4. For a RDW deck, 12 "non-creatures" seems a bit much, honestly.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Pyrewild is awesome, I've got him in the side for control matchups where Madcap is way worse, though I do like how Maaka is only 1 mana bloodrush as opposed to Pyrewild's 2. I might just swap Madcap and Pyrewild though, since while Madcap can take over the right matchup when unanswered, it's just miserable to get 2-for-1'd off of it, especially lategame when I'm trying to close it out. I have noticed though that I get hands where I just have no action (stuff like 3 land, Maaka, Lightning Strike and Madcap Skills that just make me groan) and I wasn't sure if I had too many noncreatures or if that was just how aggresively RDW has to mulligan, so that's really good feedback.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I wouldn't bother with Ash Zealot. She owns but she and BTE don't get along very well. The only suggestion I would make is to replace 2 Foundry Street Denizens with 2 more Madcap Skills. You really really want to put that on your Prophetic Flamespeaker. Like, really bad. That'll still keep you at 10 1-drops which will average you 1 in your opening hand.

Otherwise it looks solid and fun. It reminds me of a version of RDW I had recently that was almost the same but I had 4 Boros Reckoner instead of the Prophetic Flamespeakers. Mine also had Gore-house Chainwalker but I'm not sure if anyone still runs those. I took that deck apart a while back.

You are absolutely right about T2 being BTE into Firefist. Keep 4 of each of those.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Deck: Swing and Fling

//Lands
20 Mountain

//Spells
4 Assault Strobe
2 Browbeat
2 Devastating Summons
2 Faithless Looting
4 Fling
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Reforge the Soul
4 Titan's Strength

//Creatures
4 Ball Lightning
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Kiln Fiend
4 Vexing Devil

Display deck statistics

So the way the deck works is by using a combination of hasted/trampling monsters, boosting them up, and then launching them at the opponent. I'm mostly using this deck for casual games, and I want to keep it moderately cheap, but any suggestions are welcome. Cards I've thought about adding/removing include switching Hellspark Elemental for regular Spark Elemental, and also maybe adding in Pandemonium. I haven't really played for a while, so I'll appreciate any help with this!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so here's a mono-black aggro deck I just finished building. I'd like advice on the sideboard. Most importantly, is there anything I can put in the sideboard that works against Blood Baron? That motherfucker has cost me 1st place at FNM 2 weeks in a row. :argh:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so here's a mono-black aggro deck I just finished building. I'd like advice on the sideboard. Most importantly, is there anything I can put in the sideboard that works against Blood Baron? That motherfucker has cost me 1st place at FNM 2 weeks in a row. :argh:

Devour Flesh, or anything that gets them to sacrifice him (I use Far//Away, but that's because I play blue-black).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Those are both good ideas. Thanks!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is mogis maurauder too expensive for that list? Card makes blow outs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
8 Mountain
4 Rakdos Guildgate
8 Swamp
3 Temple of Malice

//Spells
3 Bile Blight
2 Dictate of the Twin Gods
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Molten Birth
2 Read the Bones
1 Thoughtseize
2 Trading Post

//Creatures
3 Akroan Horse
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
1 Akroan Horse
1 Bile Blight
1 Dictate of the Twin Gods
1 Molten Birth
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Read the Bones
3 Searing Blood
2 Shock
2 Trading Post
1 Tymaret, the Murder King

Display deck statistics

I'm looking for feedback on the current state of my Murdergoats deck for gameday. Since last gameday (where I lost in the final round to a red rush deck with a deck I posted earlier in the thread), I picked up a few heroes downfalls and temples of malice from drafting, and I added 2 Dictate of the twin gods.

Right now I'm really not feeling the Dictates. I think I'd rather have more chances to draw Purphoros and Tymaret which are the main win conditions of the deck once token generation gets going.

It's possible for me to pick up singles but I didn't really start playing again til M14 (the shocks in my deck are from stronghold hahaha), and going back past that is difficult.

Any suggestions on things to look for this week?

• Locked thread