Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Mierenneuker posted:

Sounds to me like you don't understand understand, understand understand, understand understand, the concept of the concept of love.
Maybe you can help me understand. What is boy? What is girl?

What is love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
What exactly are humans?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Gary and Kole; I have to say that you guys have great chemestry with VGT's Jenny. I hope you guys have her guest on one of your shows again in the future.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

Gary and Kole; I have to say that you guys have great chemestry with VGT's Jenny. I hope you guys have her guest on one of your shows again in the future.

Thanks! I adore Jenni and hope to someday appear on VGT.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Speaking of which, holy poo poo Saints Row 2 is based on Titus Andronicus? Like I don't even know if that was a joke because I can actually kind of see that.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, hearing that Star Control 2 is coming up just put the biggest grin on my face. And Zack on as well, that's a double whammy.

I think SC2 might be the DOS game I spent the most time on by at least one order of magnitude. Most of my childhood paper detritus is gone by now but
I still have a notebook with a list of starmap coordinates for things like the rainbow worlds, particularly valuable mining/eco planets and goodness knows what else. The writing in that game still resonates on many levels with me. The humour of the Spathi, the pathos of the Ur'Quan/Kor'ah/Dnyarri, the crazy mysteries of the Arilou, Chmmr...Fantastic.

That's not even mentioning the melee mode. I had one classmate at the time I spent a lot of time with and we played literally hundreds of matches. At a certain point we just flat out banned the Arilou because with good relexes it was just possible to beat every other ship with it. That and the crazy annoying Pkunk were always my favourite ships. He had the most fun with the Druuge, and just seeing how many ships he could take out before crashing into the planet. It's crazy to consider the kind of ballistic math we just internalised: hitting a rapidly-moving evasive target with a single shot from a rapidly-moving gun platform that slowly rotated with very low precision...

Anyway, good times. I look forward to your takes on it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey Gary and Kole,

I know you guys did Gabriel knight, but do you have any plans to visit some other classic Sierra adventure games?

Or specifically, any plans for the Quest for Glory series? The other Sierra games can go to Hell for all I'm concerned.

Ok, not entirely, but let's face it, a lot of them had the Gabriel Knight 3 "absurd puzzle solution" issue, and/or the King's Quest 5 "forgot one item in the first five minutes, now in the last five minutes you have an unavoidable death" issue.

That's why I love the GfG series...they avoid a LOT of that. Rarely in that series do you find yourself in an un-winnable situation because of a missed item/opportunity early on (I'm not saying they're free of those, but there's a lot less of those situations.)

If nothing else, you should really do Quest for Glory 4...great atmosphere, good puzzles that aren't all just "use item Y at location X," and narration by John Rhys-Davis!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only thing I find annoying about the podcasts I listen to is that the hosts usually share the same opinions. The problem isn't that I disagree with them (often I agree 100%) but it's extremely boring to hear two people just nod at one another the whole time. Are there any podcasts where the hosts have radically different views, regularly disagree with but still mutually respect one another?

While typing this I kinda realized what I'm asking for is the video game podcast equivalent of Crossfire. :lol:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The only thing I find annoying about the podcasts I listen to is that the hosts usually share the same opinions. The problem isn't that I disagree with them (often I agree 100%) but it's extremely boring to hear two people just nod at one another the whole time. Are there any podcasts where the hosts have radically different views, regularly disagree with but still mutually respect one another?

While typing this I kinda realized what I'm asking for is the video game podcast equivalent of Crossfire. :lol:

WOFF does this occasionally, and the Bombcast seems to never like any of the same games anymore.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one on the Bombcast likes video-games period.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You could probably do a really good topical games podcast like that by having a single regular host and 2+ guests that constantly changed each episode, but the person who ran it would need really good connections to be able to get good guests on a weekly/biweekly basis

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ramagamma posted:

No one on the Bombcast likes video-games period.

He's looking for not sarcastic answers.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

If you want podcasts where the hosts don't agree you should listen to the Giantbomb GOTY deliberations let me tell you

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

EC posted:

WOFF does this occasionally, and the Bombcast seems to never like any of the same games anymore.

If "regularly disagree with but mutually respect" excludes sarcasm it might be a tough sell. Most of the video games podcasts I've heard where people disagree devolve into either sarcasm, or two people arguing "nuh-uh" vs. "yeah-huh" style about things that are almost entirely subjective. The second one usually involves someone using the phrase "except it's not" in reply to someone else voicing his or her opinion.

Neither of those styles of disagreement involves well thought-out supporting arguments, and neither ever screams "mutual respect" to me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

If "regularly disagree with but mutually respect" excludes sarcasm it might be a tough sell. Most of the video games podcasts I've heard where people disagree devolve into either sarcasm, or two people arguing "nuh-uh" vs. "yeah-huh" style about things that are almost entirely subjective. The second one usually involves someone using the phrase "except it's not" in reply to someone else voicing his or her opinion.

Neither of those styles of disagreement involves well thought-out supporting arguments, and neither ever screams "mutual respect" to me.

Three Moves Ahead don't always disagree but when they do, they do tend to make an effort to actually explain their positions and usually do so fairly pleasantly. Of course, it's pretty much strategy only on that show so that may not be a broad enough purview for some folks.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Osmosisch posted:

Oh man, hearing that Star Control 2 is coming up just put the biggest grin on my face. And Zack on as well, that's a double whammy.
Hell yeah. Zack's actually the person who got me to play SC2 when he would rave about it on the old Kingdom of Loathing podcasts. I'm glad I gave it a shot. I'm sure if I had played it as a kid I would have gone nuts visiting every world trying to find every little thing in the game. I just love the idea of games with hard time limits (Two of them, even!). Even discovering things to extend that limit felt amazing. I remember leaving the game running just to see what would happen at the bad ending, and it was strangely horrifying. Seeing the whole galaxy that I had come to know well, full of colors and life, getting trampled over was a shock. Nothing but cold space left until the screen just fades to black. I dunno why, but it was disturbing in a way that 99% of games cannot pull off. The only thing that comes close is the time I played so much Doom, that I would start seeing demons in the darkness of my house and getting freaked out (and I am not afraid of the dark usually!).

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Posted this in the Creative Convention, but I think it's definitely relevant here:

Me and three other devs (Jeremy Lowther of Dinosword, and Alix/Calvin of Robot Loves Kitty) have started a monthly podcast called Feature Creep in which we'll be talking about the progress on our respective games and other development related topics. I'm hoping it'll serve as a sort of audio devlog for our respective projects. The introductory episode is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjMDwUZ_P8

I was yelling the whole episode because I didn't have my mic turned up in my headphones, but I think it went pretty smoothly other than that. :P

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Quest for Glory...

I've definitely thought about it. For adventure games, I'm partly of the mind that once we've done a "house style" of a certain company, it'd be better to move on to another company but the Quest for Glory games are such weirdo hybrids that I think they'd support us pretty well. Next time we do an adventure game, we'll think about it and we'll definitely put one on the next Adventure game poll we do.

Regarding hosts who disagree with one another, definitely don't look to us for that. We often don't agree but we just got called out in an iTunes review for being too amicable. Some probably find that this stagnates the show but on the plus side, it means that one of us isn't playing something they hate every other episode.

Also, if you can believe it, I never played Star Control 2 either and I'm just as hyped. Zack has done a lot of good for spreading the SC2 word.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While they tend to all like the same things in general, the Super Best Friends can get into really heated arguments about things they like or don't like, especially Liam and Pat.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Posted this in the Creative Convention, but I think it's definitely relevant here:

Me and three other devs (Jeremy Lowther of Dinosword, and Alix/Calvin of Robot Loves Kitty) have started a monthly podcast called Feature Creep in which we'll be talking about the progress on our respective games and other development related topics. I'm hoping it'll serve as a sort of audio devlog for our respective projects. The introductory episode is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjMDwUZ_P8

I was yelling the whole episode because I didn't have my mic turned up in my headphones, but I think it went pretty smoothly other than that. :P

Jesus christ, it's The Dropsy Guy, hadn't thought about that in years.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, just started listening to Retronauts. It's great, but it's borderline distracting to me how much Bob sounds like David Plotz from the Slate Political Gabfest. I stop paying attention for two seconds and then come back confused why the Gabfest knows so much about video games.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

On Video Games Hot Dog, Zack has some pretty crazy opinions and ends up in long disagreements with the other hosts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tir McDohl posted:

On Video Games Hot Dog, Zack has some pretty crazy opinions and ends up in long disagreements with the other hosts.

I've been listening to Zack since the KoL podcast since almost a decade ago and he's virtually a shrinking violent in comparison. (not that I would have it any other way)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Tir McDohl posted:

I think just by virtue of working together for so long, those dudes have taken disagreement to an olympic level.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

That was exactly who I had in mind for this part of my post above: The second [type of disagreement] usually involves someone using the phrase "except it's not" in reply to someone else voicing his or her opinion.

Those arguments are what originally kind of soured me on the podcast. Maybe there just hasn't been an argument like that recently, but my opinion has flipped to the point where Zack is my favorite part of the show. Maybe Jim being on the show helped change the dynamic.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So far I have to say I like Video Game Hotdog just because their website is just one page with links to mp3s and a description of each episode. I was getting tired of clicking next page over and over and over again to find an episode.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sitting at a bus stop and literally burst out laughing at this week's Idle Thumbs theme.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i would ask Brad about his thoughts of Xenoblade Chronicles X but i feel that if i asked such a question he would tell me he never played it (the first one) and holds no real opinion of the game when clearly Chronicles X looks to being an amazing game with a lot to tell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

i would ask Brad about his thoughts of Xenoblade Chronicles X but i feel that if i asked such a question he would tell me he never played it (the first one) and holds no real opinion of the game when clearly Chronicles X looks to being an amazing game with a lot to tell.

Well yeah shocker that none of them will care about an 80+ hour RPG no matter how amazing it looks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jason will probably like and play it, and he's a semi-regular on the podcast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I doubt it'll be discussed at length but I would love to hear someone talk about it, that game rules (or at least it ruled on the Wii, which I still have to finish)

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I know that it's been brought up before but people should really check out David Sirlin's podcast.

David Sirlin has a reputation of being a fairly annoying person with some odd game design ideas but his podcast is great for delving into some game design aspects. The format is fairly simple; It's just David and one of his designer friends/tester talking about a specific aspect of game design for about and hour. My favorite topic covered so far is based around the idea of character bans. It's something that I never put much thought into but their discussion about the effectiveness and "fun" of banning characters is just really interesting at highlighting how unfun it can be for both players and spectators.

There are only seven episodes out right now, so it's not a huge backlog to get through and also easy to just grab an episode and see how you like it.

It's a really great supplement to Steve Gaynor's Tone Control and Soren Johnson's Designer Notes.

Old Swerdlow fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Sitting at a bus stop and literally burst out laughing at this week's Idle Thumbs theme.

Yeah, a shame that's the high-point of the episode.

I think this is the first ever Thumbs I've had to skip out in the middle of, I just can't take such concentrated Justin McElroy shilling over the train-wreck that is Destiny.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
He had an honest and somewhat under discussed take on Destiny and why he's into it. I thought it was a worthwhile listen.

Now with that said this Grim Fandango SLANDERING can not stand :colbert:

Grats to VG Newspaper guy for the shout out on the cast too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No but you see Destiny was the Worst Game of 2014 and no-one could possibly actually get enjoyment out of such a fundamentally broken, boring, and unfair game so he must be a shill for liking a video game.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Justin McElroy is only a shameless shill for himself and his podcasts. Which is alright by me as he and his podcasts are great.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ah, yes, the concentrated Destiny shilling where Justin compares his Destiny habit to the physical addiction of smoking.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The destiny thing just reminded me how few good games came out last year (in my opinion). The only triple A game I was looking forward too was GTA 5 pc and that still hasn't come out.

To be fair to justin I was just listening to the live show which I'm guessing was the night before the podcast and there was lots of booze and shouting so you can excuse him for not being 100%.

I'm sure he will be back with a full cast at some point he is always a good guest.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Seriously that was the first time I've ever heard someone actually explain why they like Destiny rather than why they either don't hate it enough or hate themselves for liking it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have said it before in this thread but I played loads of borderlands and borderlands 2 while not actually thinking they were good games. Which I honestly ever do with any other games.

There is some thing about that genre which is really appealing but nobody has actually nailed it yet (I say this as some one with out a console and having not played destiny).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The best part of the episode was the end when Sean didn't understand Justin. That was great.

• Locked thread