Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

That last Star Wars might have benefited from a 4th movie.

I think Divergent killed the 4 movie trilogies. That only seemed to work on YA audiences (Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games). Avengers did 4 movies, but I don't know if that counts. I had to actually go look that up because it felt like more since you had so many other movies cribbing off the original series.

Captain America: Civil War was basically an Avengers movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Captain America: Civil War was basically an Avengers movie.

It's either an Avengers movie, or it's a Captain America movie where the main character is objectively wrong.

(They did a terrible job showing why registration was bad in the film. The comic at least showed villains signing up band the whole pro-registration being in the moral grey side.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Civil War was even worse of a clusterfuck in the comics mostly due to some really poorly thought out political analogies. Confusing and frequently offensive even at the time, it looks even worse in hindsight after the 2016 realignments.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting what Capt and Iron Man were even fighting about. Was it a census or Capt's buddy murdering the Stark parents, really it could be either one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The movies had it be about registering with the government and being sent to operations with the blessing of the government (or it may have been an international panel). Cap doesn't like it because it wouldn't let them be flexible or might make them sit on their hands when they see something going down.

The comics were mostly the same, but also had more of a government being straight fascist about it. They broke into the home of Luke Cage at midnight the day it went into effect because he refused. Guns drawn on him and his family (Jessica Jones and their kid) to arrest him. But the comics also had them hiring villains to be on the pro-registration side, as it would clear them of past crimes. So you have people like hobgoblin who get the okay from the government (just the US in this case) to go attack Spider-Man in broad daylight. They also did stupid poo poo like make a robot clone of Thor to fight pro-reg, because he was off world. Thor was not aware of this, and was pissed when he found out. Also a lot of heroes were killed in the name of making them register or arresting them. Such as the robo-Thor killing a black super hero (who was also super sized, so he couldn't even get a proper burial).

Almost every comic got a tie, and there were two main miniseries that split off from the main series of Civil War. I give it a bit more credit because the concept at the time is what got me interested in comic books again, but the execution wasn't great (and that's me talking with a bias for it).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The best part was the Nextwave tie-in cover

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There was a subplot about an 8 year old girl.who could fly being branded a criminal because she didn't register

Also they locked the unregistered heroes in the negative dimension

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The funniest thing to me about Civil War movie is you can have a bunch of people talking about it, and they'll all agree that one side (Cap or Iron Man) is objectively, absolutely, unequivocally wrong, and then they will completely disagree on who that person is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s the sign of a good movie

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

Dick and Jane are just fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBI5Rk9qYjU

I just love that when she finds out about the foreclosure notice, rather than getting angry with her husband for keeping it from her she just turns the stress onto the shopkeeper, joining him fully in the heist mentality.

She’s down to ride like Bonnie and Clyde :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best part is after that clip, when they park and just start furiously making out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think I read somewhere that Back to the Future was originally supposed to be two movies, but it was supposed to be 1 and 3.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have no idea how the time travel works in the Avengers, they seemingly want to try to change as little as possible but also they literally kill Thanos, so protecting the timeline seems pointless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
BTTF took forever to get a sequel. 4 years was a lifetime to wait for another movie when they tease #2 at the end of the first movie.

I don't know if the first was supposed to be 2 movies. 2 and 3 were filmed back-to-back. That might have been the first time they filmed sequels at the same time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's Superman 1 and 2 but that's a bit different.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I have no idea how the time travel works in the Avengers, they seemingly want to try to change as little as possible but also they literally kill Thanos, so protecting the timeline seems pointless.

The Ancient One literally shows a timeline and it splintering off if they change anything. It's not so much that time can't change, more that if they just removed the Infinity Stones from that timeline, that timeline gets hosed. Removing Thanos from that timeline improves that timeline, and they get their infinity stones back. That's a timeline where Loki gets away at the end of Avengers 1, and no one else dies at the end of Thor 3, and the Infinity War doesn't happen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Movies should just never include time travel. At best it's just a convenient but lazy way to make the "good guys" win, at worst (which is what happens most frequently) it adds like half an hour++ of stupid rules about how it "works" and what rules there are. Time travel movies/shows always over-explain it. I don't mind things like hyperdrive because they just "are". With time travel you have to endure the writer's thesis about how they think time travel would work if it did exist, but it doesn't. If you're going to make up poo poo just let it be made up, the more you explain something made up the dumber it ends up feeling.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, in the case of Thanos, the original idea was just "Go get the stones, and then bring everyone back, then return em", and then 2014 Thanos showed up and hosed up everyone's plans so they kinda had no other choice but to kill him.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

That Italian Guy posted:

I've started watching Hunters on Amazon Prime and I had to stop cause I've found it super jarring. You can't mix Inglorious Basterds with Schindler's List. The "Holocaust Fantasy" parts are super disturbing, Nazis work well as villains cause everyone knows they are evil and why. You can't mix real events, namedrop Auschwitz and so and have characters recollect everything they've lost..and mix it with human chessboards and Nazi xfactor. Even less if your main cast is composed of over the top "Guy Ritchie's presents the Jew Bears" Nazi Hunters.
That show is a loving roller-coaster, there are some genuinely great moments but yeah they don't need the nazis to commit fantasy warcrimes or be just moments away from killing millions with a ridiculous conspiracy :ohdear:

The ending is the worst part though - almost all of the final episode is just setting up sequel hooks, which would be annoying enough but I guess the guy who kills nazis was the real nazi all along. Makes you think :v:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Movies should just never include time travel.

Looper has the best explanation of how time travel works.

"Don't worry about it".

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

That show is a loving roller-coaster, there are some genuinely great moments but yeah they don't need the nazis to commit fantasy warcrimes or be just moments away from killing millions with a ridiculous conspiracy :ohdear:

The ending is the worst part though - almost all of the final episode is just setting up sequel hooks, which would be annoying enough but I guess the guy who kills nazis was the real nazi all along. Makes you think :v:

It did make me genuinely sad though, and was a good reminder that maybe some of the other nazis had re-thought their bullshit after so long.

I thought it made for a nicely conflicted plot - so “Meyer” was okay with killing the Nazis, but maybe some of them had come around to the same way of thinking as he had over his exile, which means maybe he was innately a sadistic killer instead of being capable of redemption like he thought.

So on one hand perhaps he’d learned his lesson in the worst way, and was seeking to make good whilst knowing he never really could, on the other hand he was convinced of that but actually he was just a brutal serial killer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

To be fair, in the case of Thanos, the original idea was just "Go get the stones, and then bring everyone back, then return em", and then 2014 Thanos showed up and hosed up everyone's plans so they kinda had no other choice but to kill him.

That and the consequence are a timeline where Thanos and his army vanishes at around the time Guardians 1 starts up. So... win/win.

The REAL danger was the multiverse going cray cause the infinite stones were removed from where they were supposed to be anchoring their respective forces of the universe or something and with time travel you can just replace them instantly so lol

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Where does “let’s split the last book of this series into two movies to wring the last drops outta this cash cow” fall into this conversation?

I will never stop laughing out of the fact they did that for the Divergent series and then cancelled the fourth movie. I’m surprised that hasn’t happened more.

I know this is pretty common with TV but has there been another movie series where the conclusion just never ended up happening? There are plenty of YA dystopia would-be franchises that get killed off before the story is complete but usually it's after the first movie and not after part four of five. The Host gets extra credit because the movie's failure also killed off the book series. The Chronicles of Narnia movies from a few years back come to mind but at least those are self-contained.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ego-bot posted:

"Don't worry about it".

Counterpoint: Willis went from being in the most consistent time travel movie to the least.

One is worth rewatching the other is Looper.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It would've been an amazing movie if they'd finally succeeded and decided to wage time war on all Thanoses everywhere.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Apropos of nothing, the sheer joy I get from seeing Chadwick Boseman just loving, lose chunks of his soul doing the Wakanda Forever salute is hilarious to me.

When the movie first came out he was like :haw: and joyful and happy, and now he's basically just a walking :nallears:

Fame always has a price.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Counterpoint: Willis went from being in the most consistent time travel movie to the least.

My favorite part about Looper is that the movie is 100% internally consistent with regards to everything related to time travel. It gets poo poo on constantly though because people just don't like what "the rules" are.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Willis was never in Primer, though?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Crumps Brother posted:

My favorite part about Looper is that the movie is 100% internally consistent with regards to everything related to time travel. It gets poo poo on constantly though because people just don't like what "the rules" are.

Yeah, I think it also throws the audience for a loop (no pun intended) when the characters are shown to be wrong about how they think the time travel works, and the entire plot is kicked off by a basically unnecessary superstition.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

lavaca posted:

I know this is pretty common with TV but has there been another movie series where the conclusion just never ended up happening? There are plenty of YA dystopia would-be franchises that get killed off before the story is complete but usually it's after the first movie and not after part four of five. The Host gets extra credit because the movie's failure also killed off the book series. The Chronicles of Narnia movies from a few years back come to mind but at least those are self-contained.

The Golden Compass movie was so bad it never got any sequels, though it did get rebooted as an HBO series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

The Golden Compass movie was so bad it never got any sequels, though it did get rebooted as an HBO series.

You definitely see failed first movies more than ones that get more than one but don't finish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think it also throws the audience for a loop (no pun intended) when the characters are shown to be wrong about how they think the time travel works, and the entire plot is kicked off by a basically unnecessary superstition.

Yeah I dug Looper for that. I was reasonably unsettled by JGLs makeup.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

You definitely see failed first movies more than ones that get more than one but don't finish.

Still (not) waiting on The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe VII: Je Suis Aslan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Time travel is a tricky thing to play with. Dragon Ball Z and Super come to mind; the first has Bulma's time machine that explicitly works through multiverse theory, travelling back and forth between multiple divergent timelines as a result of each jaunt. Simple enough for the most part. Then Super introduces the Time Rings of the gods, which can be used to travel bath and forth seamlessly and also between alternate timelines, being more or less explicitly magic. It turns out the gods enforce a ban on time travel (or try to) outside of their own because when the different forms of time travel have their effects mixed together, along with use of other plot devices, things get really bad really fast and also really confusing even for the characters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trunks is the absolute king of successfully time traveling and then failing to stop what you time traveled to stop so it just happens anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, he stopped Goku dying of a heart attack, and that was mostly mission complete right there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

"Don't worry about it".

My irrational movie moments about Looper:
The mob uses time travel to make people disappear because in the future alarms are set off if someone is disposed of. But the alarms should also be set off if someone is sent back in time, they're still disposed off, just in a more elaborate way.
The main bad guy is portrayed as bad because he's killing loopers. But loopers were always supposed to be killed off, it's in their contract.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

My irrational movie moments about Looper:
The mob uses time travel to make people disappear because in the future alarms are set off if someone is disposed of. But the alarms should also be set off if someone is sent back in time, they're still disposed off, just in a more elaborate way.
The main bad guy is portrayed as bad because he's killing loopers. But loopers were always supposed to be killed off, it's in their contract.

The point is that it's about disappearing people before their body nanomachines can send the 'I've been murdered!' signal, since there's nothing to receive it in the past.

Also I don't think you understand moral ambiguity, or the whole idea that people can be coerced into signing a contract not favourable to them.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Looper is real dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also I don't think you understand moral ambiguity, or the whole idea that people can be coerced into signing a contract not favourable to them.

First of all::jerkbag:
Second: At no point are the loopers portrayed as being coerced, at one point one looper even celebrates the fact that he killed his older self because that means he's rich.