Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't the HOTD zambambos made by like a machine and didn't actually have the ability to infect people? I barely remember the original game, mostly played HOTD2.

Media that did not age poorly: House of the Dead 2. SUFFER LIKE G DID is the greatest line in history.

House of the Dead Overkill actually has a bit explaining the zombi- mutants are... actually indeed mutants, the result of a mutagen spread in a specific area (or injected into people) and the protagonists aren't 'immune', they just weren't in town at the time to get mutated.

IIRC Dead Rising does something similar where the zombie infection is artificial and spread through some limited means- bee stings in one game I heard- and thus the real problems are ironically mostly the other people who take advantage of the chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't the HOTD zambambos made by like a machine and didn't actually have the ability to infect people? I barely remember the original game, mostly played HOTD2.

Media that did not age poorly: House of the Dead 2. SUFFER LIKE G DID is the greatest line in history.

Two months in Romanian prison doesn't sound too much like suffering to me

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Dead Rising does something similar where the zombie infection is artificial and spread through some limited means- bee stings in one game I heard- and thus the real problems are ironically mostly the other people who take advantage of the chaos.

Yes, the zombie plague in Dead Rising originated from experiments to get more beef from cows. A horrible new species of parasitic bee was discovered, and was going to be used to make cows get fatter faster by rapidly increasing their appetite. Some bees got out, and they got to learn that infected humans turn into zombies who can pass it on through bites (and develop more bees in their brains from the injected eggs).

After the first game's deliberate outbreak, another company developed a "treatment" using harvested brain bees after getting a prototype from one of the original researchers, but the treatment only holds off zombism for 24 hours per dose. This obviously gave the people in charge a gigantic incentive to allow further "outbreaks" to occur so they can get more bees and more infected people to fleece for the rest of their lives.

This even extended to infected people in 3 or 4 straight up having mandated monitoring bracelets so everyone can know who is a walking timebomb and discriminate against them, which makes it harder for them to afford their injections, which makes monitored outbreaks even more likely, which etc etc.

And yea. All the big Boss Encounters are people using any excuse to start killing, or people driven mad by the carnage they're stuck in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dead Rising as a franchise didn't age well in the sense that as it got further along it got worse and worse until the last game basically killed the series.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dead Rising bosses make Metal Gear Solid bosses seem like completely logical, believable characters.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

pentyne posted:

Dead Rising as a franchise didn't age well in the sense that as it got further along it got worse and worse until the last game basically killed the series.

Ooooh yeah, I haven't played past the second but the quality drop from the first was palpable

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Autisanal Cheese posted:

...this explains a LOT about the book's sudden popularity relative to its quality.

To expand on that a little bit - getting published is, still, pretty drat hard. Most publishing companies, especially the big ones, tend to be sort of gated communities where unless you have a lot of money and a bankable name: good loving luck getting someone to even read the first page of your poo poo. The old method of just sending your poo poo into every publisher and hoping someone takes a gamble on you just doesn't really exist anymore because no one's even going to give it a look, there are plenty of interviews - and even reddit AMAs - with people working in the publishing industry who will brag about how they just throw most of what they get straight in the trash without looking at it, or how if they look at the first page and it starts with a word they don't like, straight in the trash, just all sorts of absolutely absurd bullshit from people who get their jollies knowing they effectively control whether or not people get to have careers in a field.

And then people who write absolute garbage like Ready Player One come out of loving nowhere, become best sellers over night and get rave reviews from everyone. Incidentally Ernest Cline was really good friends with Harry Knowles who used his connections to help get him a career. He, quite literally, would probably never have the fame and fortune he does now if not for that. Meanwhile most people, even spectacularly talented people, can't ever get a foot in the door because they aren't good friends or related to someone within the entertainment industry already and can't afford the sweet business package that makes sure they get a huge marketing deal, even if they did get accepted.

But, hey, self publishing is more of a thing than ever! Good thing the publishing giants would never have a vested interest in making sure it wasn't absolutely associated with garbage while they were exclusively associated with prestige and quality in the minds of the consuming public despite most of them publishing a majority of trash like celebrity autobiographies.

Calling someone a nepobaby and making GBS threads on them has gotten kind of popular online, but imo that's good, because before that took off most people would just praise authors like Brooks or Cline for working harder and better than the endless legion of people who never got the leg up they did, and it loving sucked.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Ooooh yeah, I haven't played past the second but the quality drop from the first was palpable

...that is literally opposite of my experience. There were a ton of QoL in two (no more Otis bullshit, combo weapons, better layout, multiple save slots etc.).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mostly it is an excuse for zombee puns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finished season 3 of DS9. While many of the aspects of the Ferenghi can be cringy, I do like what the characters of Moogie and Nog bring out in Rom. He's at his best when he's defending his family because it's clear that that's where his passion lies, whether it's helping his mother hide her finances, forcing Quark to recognise that his father was bad with numbers (I particularly liked Rom's line "He wouldn't be able to hold on to latinum if it were sewn into his pants!" it shows a lot of wit) or supporting and protecting Nog's bid to join star fleet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finished season 3 of DS9. While many of the aspects of the Ferenghi can be cringy, I do like what the characters of Moogie and Nog bring out in Rom. He's at his best when he's defending his family because it's clear that that's where his passion lies, whether it's helping his mother hide her finances, forcing Quark to recognise that his father was bad with numbers (I particularly liked Rom's line "He wouldn't be able to hold on to latinum if it were sewn into his pants!" it shows a lot of wit) or supporting and protecting Nog's bid to join star fleet.

Rom and Nog are both wonderful characters. Moogie kinda sucks as a person but she's *great* to watch. Hilarious. She will not let Ferenginar's bullshit tie her down.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HopperUK posted:

Rom and Nog are both wonderful characters. Moogie kinda sucks as a person but she's *great* to watch. Hilarious. She will not let Ferenginar's bullshit tie her down.

I also love the Bajoran characters, I didn't think I'd find them as engaging as I do but Veddick Barial was fun while he lasted and Kai Winn is a wonderfully slimy villain. It's really fun watching her struggle to attain more and more power. She's fun to hate.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I also love the Bajoran characters, I didn't think I'd find them as engaging as I do but Veddick Barial was fun while he lasted and Kai Winn is a wonderfully slimy villain. It's really fun watching her struggle to attain more and more power. She's fun to hate.

Narys, nobody thinks Barial is fun but you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

...that is literally opposite of my experience. There were a ton of QoL in two (no more Otis bullshit, combo weapons, better layout, multiple save slots etc.).

2 is an improvement spread across two different games. After that the series begins chasing trends and things don't work out so well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fish of hemp posted:

We all know the parody zombie, slowly shuffling about with its hands stretched out and moaning brains....brains....

But what exactly is it parodying? I've never seen that kind of zombie in a movie.

This was an excellent question btw, it led down a great pop culture rabbit hole. I'm pretty sure that the stereotypical idea of a zombie is an example of what Claude Lévi-Strauss and Jacques Derrida called bricolage, pretty much a socially shared construct which was cobbled together from many different sources over time. It was likely mostly informed by parodies of zombies (that Simpsons episode, Calvin and Hobbes, a whole lot of political newspaper cartoons) more than anything and just kept filtering down into the generalized idea of zombie-ness

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It's like how "the butler did it" was a joke before any actual published mysteries where the butler in fact did it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

The writing took a massive downhill slide from 1. Chuck was an infinitely less likeable/entertaining character than Frank, the environment was somehow less memorable despite technically being more flashy and more interactive, none of the supporting cast was even notable, the antagonists sucked, none of the psychos were remotely as interesting or memorable as the ones in 1 despite several being clear knockoffs...

And tbh beyond all that, the writing just felt way more mean than the first game, and just felt way less... grounded.

Which is really dumb to say about a zombie game of all things, but like, 'everyone knows zombies are real' as a follow-on from the first game just made them turn up the Wack-O-Meter to 11. Which meant the ground floor was just absolutely stupid, so all the absurd things that the game throws at you and allows you to do just kind of doesn't really land with the same level of charm as the first game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Humerus posted:

It's like how "the butler did it" was a joke before any actual published mysteries where the butler in fact did it.

To be fair, i think the butler being a red herring was a thing in those kinds of stories at least

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Tiggum posted:

If you're going to go that far, why not say that the 21st Phantom (ie. the one who's been the protagonist since the comic began in 1936) died in the 1950s. Then you're free to invent at least one Phantom in between the Falk original and the current one, which means you can easily write off a lot of the more problematic elements of the character as relics of the past - rather than things that the current protagonist did or continues to do. And you can make the current protagonist different in whatever ways you want without having to retcon any elements of the original character because it's literally a different person.

It also makes the timeline of past phantoms more consistent; keeping the same Phantom the whole time gradually stretches it out, making each Phantom's tenure longer and longer over time, because the 1st phantom is explicitly tied to the year 1536. It's only gone from an average of 19 years to 23, but you might as well eliminate that issue if you can.

King Features characters died out because print newspapers were so big and so dominant for so long.

1920’s: Newspaper comics have come of age, we have the biggest brands.

1930’s: The art form is maturing, we have the best adventure strips.

1940’s: Comic books are for children only, everyone reads the newspaper strips.

1950’s: Why should we adapt these characters for television? Everyone gets a daily paper.

1960’s: Why should we adapt these characters for television or movies? Everyone gets a daily paper.

1970’s: Why should we adapt these characters for TV? Everyone gets a paper and the kids of the 30’s and 40’s are adults now and remember them fondly, a hit Broadway musical is a much bigger deal.

1980’s: Let’s reinvent these for the 80’s, our original readers are getting old but luckily people still get newspapers. Grandkids will like these adventure stories.

1990’s: The internet is a fad, people get newspapers and get upset if the comic that has been there forever is missing.

2000’s: Why doesn’t anyone want to make TV shows of our characters? Marvel Comics?!? That garbage from the 60’s?!!

2010’s: Characters for sale! CHEAP!!!!! Walt Wallet can be 123 years old, right?

2020’s: Please make an adaptation before he hits public domain. WE ARE BEGGING YOU.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Humerus posted:

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HopperUK posted:

A lot about Moogie makes sense as she's trying to accomplish her society's idea of success while breaking the boundaries and expectations it places on her.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

King Features characters died out because print newspapers were so big and so dominant for so long.

1920’s: Newspaper comics have come of age, we have the biggest brands.

1930’s: The art form is maturing, we have the best adventure strips.

1950’s: Why should we adapt these characters for television? Everyone gets a daily paper.

1960’s: Why should we adapt these characters for television or movies? Everyone gets a daily paper.

1970’s: Why should we adapt these characters for TV? Everyone gets a paper and the kids of the 30’s and 40’s are adults now and remember them fondly, a hit Broadway musical is a much bigger deal.

1980’s: Let’s reinvent these for the 80’s, our original readers are getting old but luckily people still get newspapers. Grandkids will like these adventure stories.

1990’s: The internet is a fad, people get newspapers and get upset if the comic that has been there forever is missing.

2000’s: Why doesn’t anyone want to make TV shows of our characters? Marvel Comics?!? That garbage from the 60’s?!!

2010’s: Characters for sale! CHEAP!!!!! Walt Wallet can be 123 years old, right?

2020’s: Please make an adaptation before he hits public domain. WE ARE BEGGING YOU.

Yeah this pretty much tracks with everything I'd heard about newspapers, they're all run by living fossils who have no idea how to comprehend how the landscape has changed. The Trading Post in Australia comes to mind, the chief literally didn't wanna hear about this newfangled thing called Ebay.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

[snip]
I have no actual insight and haven't read about the mindset of anyone in charge of King Features over the past one hundred years, but this doesn't seem very accurate?

Comic books spun out of comic strips, for the first few years of the industry's existence they were just reprints of popular comic strips. David McKay was an earlier comics publisher that pretty much exclusively reprinted King Features strips, in King Comics, Feature Comics, etc.

This predated the introduction of Superman, Batman, et. al by several years, and once Superman did debut in comic books (he was originally pitched as a comic strip), it took less than a year for a Superman comic strip to start running, admittedly with a different Syndicate. Batman followed in 1943. Before long, many comic strip characters (including King characters) started appearing in original stories

Also, the whole "comics are just for kids" thing did not really calcify until the 1950s/1960s.

1950’s: Why should we adapt these characters for television? Everyone gets a daily paper."

An incomplete list of TV/film adaptations of King Features characters:
Barney Google & Snuffy Smith: 12 silent shorts, four animated shorts, two live action films, an animated feature between 1928-1946
Blondie: 28 feature films between 1938-1950, a radio show for ten years, two attempts at a live action sitcom in the 1950s and 1960s
Bringing Up Father: a bunch of shorts, plus six feature films between 1928 and 1950
Dennis the Menace: A sitcom in 1959-1963, numerous films over the decades
Flash Gordon: lots of radio and film serials across the 1940s to the 1960s
Hazel: An Emmy Award winning sitcom that ran from 1961-1966
Jungle Jim: 16 feature films 1948-1955, a single season TV spin-off in 1955
Popeye: A shitload of cartoon adaptations and a 1980 Robert Altman film
Prince Valiant: a 1954 film starring Robert Wagner and Janet Leigh

That's very incomplete, omitting less successful attempts to adapt the characters to stage/screen, and probably even more I am overlooking. I don't think there was ever a snobbishness about exploiting the characters in other media, it's just most of them are long forgotten because they're very old.

And assuming you mean Annie with the "a hit Broadway musical", that's a different syndicate, but Broadway shows based on comic strips had been happening for decades: Blondie, Bringing Up Father, Lil Abner, Peanuts, and others pre-dated Annie, though none of them were as big a hit as Annie, obviously. Annie had already been adapted to radio and film prior to the Broadway show, so it's not like that syndicate (Tribune, also home to Dick Tracy, who had been adapted into film and television and radio repeatedly) was putting all of its eggs in the musical basket.

By the 1980s and beyond, I'm sure there was a level of desperation to modernize/adapt the characters, but it wasn't because they'd snobbishly turned down previous adaptations, it's because they'd been trying to adapt them for 50+ years at this point and none of them were hitting as well as they'd hoped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Features did try to get some of their properties on tv in the 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNg5au-TQKo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about Moogie makes sense as she's trying to accomplish her society's idea of success while breaking the boundaries and expectations it places on her.

Yeah this pretty much tracks with everything I'd heard about newspapers, they're all run by living fossils who have no idea how to comprehend how the landscape has changed. The Trading Post in Australia comes to mind, the chief literally didn't wanna hear about this newfangled thing called Ebay.

loving RIP the old Trading Post. So may lazy Saturday mornings looking through it seeking random treasure.

Goddamn crime the idiots in charge didn't turn it into a website, could have made a fortune. Been Australia's ebay.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving RIP the old Trading Post. So may lazy Saturday mornings looking through it seeking random treasure.

Goddamn crime the idiots in charge didn't turn it into a website, could have made a fortune. Been Australia's ebay.

Apparently it was first turned into a website back in '96 (a year after eBay was founded) and in '06 they cancelled all the print versions and became online only.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_Post_(newspaper)
https://www.tradingpost.com.au/

The internet wayback machine saved a few copies of the earliest pages and they're a real Internet 1.0 time capsule

https://web.archive.org/web/19970801000000*/https://www.tradingpost.com.au/
You can actually read through the listings in some of them, it's quite the nostalgia trip

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently it was first turned into a website back in '96 (a year after eBay was founded) and in '06 they cancelled all the print versions and became online only.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_Post_(newspaper)
https://www.tradingpost.com.au/

The internet wayback machine saved a few copies of the earliest pages and they're a real Internet 1.0 time capsule

https://web.archive.org/web/19970801000000*/https://www.tradingpost.com.au/
You can actually read through the listings in some of them, it's quite the nostalgia trip

Remember what they took from us

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything.

o god not again

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I AM GRANDO posted:

King Features did try to get some of their properties on tv in the 70s:

And again in the 90s with an absolutely wild cyberpunk storyline and art by the character designer for Aeon Flux. I'm 5 episodes in, and drat if it isn't really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL0-spytMis&t=1s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Didn't Dean Cain star in the film adaptation?

I never saw it even though I was a dedicated before-school-Phantom-watcher.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

credburn posted:

Didn't Dean Cain star in the film adaptation?

I never saw it even though I was a dedicated before-school-Phantom-watcher.

That was Billy Zane.

I remember enjoying it as a kid, though a guy does get his eyes poked out.

The villain is extremely camp.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SLAM EVIL

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Phantom, The Shadow, and The Rocketeer were the holy trifecta of kids movies about super heroes in the early 90s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
/\/\ The Rocketeer was my favorite movie as a kid growing up, but I haven't seen it in so long. I'm worried it sucks :(

Autisanal Cheese posted:

That was Billy Zane.

It occurred to me that I couldn't off the top of my head think of who was who in regards to Billy Zane and Dean Cain. So I looked up Dean Cain and wow

Talk about media that hasn't aged well. Like, everything that guy has said aloud in the last half decade is pretty atrocious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just imagine a world where they were successful and we get a cinematic universe of old timey era hero movies anchored by Alec Baldwin, Billy Zane, and Billy Campbell.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

credburn posted:

/\/\ The Rocketeer was my favorite movie as a kid growing up, but I haven't seen it in so long. I'm worried it sucks :(

The Rocketeer is one of my all-time favourites. I watched it pretty recently and, yeah, it’s still fantastic. Timothy Dalton and Alan Arkin in particular are great, and I was delighted to spot bit part cameos by Rom from Deep Space Nine and Art from Night Court. James Horner’s score is also one of my all-time favourites.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

It occurred to me that I couldn't off the top of my head think of who was who in regards to Billy Zane and Dean Cain. So I looked up Dean Cain and wow

Talk about media that hasn't aged well. Like, everything that guy has said aloud in the last half decade is pretty atrocious.

He's number two or three on the list of 'famous actors that chuds say aren't infected with the woke mind virus'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

credburn posted:

I think it's aged pretty well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Got it!

Dean Cain: bad
Rocketeer: good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

There was a recent TV series sequel on Disney Jnr aimed at kids aged 2-5. The villains included an evil food truck chef, an evil extreme sports athlete, an evil stage magician, etc etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Ea9vMFSBU
I really don't know what the thinking was behind this series, it's obviously not aimed at fans of the original film. I guess maybe they were trying to keep the IP alive and create a new generation of fans, and priming the pump for a new film? In any case it got cancelled after only one season.

The original was always supposed to be the first in a trilogy and Billy Campbell's contract locked him in for another two films but it was a disappointment at the box office so the planned sequels were cancelled. Disney had actually increased the film's $25m shooting budget to $35m because they were so impressed with the dailies and they had a gigantic amount of merchandising and actions figures and product tie-ins planned, they really expected it to be huge.
The NES sidescrolling platform game was a pretty lackluster effort with a distinct lack of flying throughout the majority of the game.
The toys that actually made it onto shelves were also pretty lovely:

Here's the guys from Toy Biz at a panel back in 2008 about all the toys they designed which didn't make it to production describing how they tried to get the rights to produce a Rocketeer action figure but Disney just weren't interested. Just listen to the crowd's reaction when that slide comes up onto the screen. :v: There has been a few action figures releases in recent years, including a 1970s-Kenner-style 'retro' Funko ReAction figure

Disney announced back in 2012 that they were planning a reboot and they make a new announcement every few years but it doesn't seem to be progressing much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocketeer_(film)#Sequel

Fun fact: the film's director Joe Johnston co-created the design of Boba Fett and also designed The Iron Giant and his experience on period superhero films later helped earned him a gig directing Captain America: The First Avenger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dude really liked That Shape of Helmet