Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had never played a BG-like game before PoE and I found it completely overwhelming. Like you immediately have access to like 15+ spells that you can only pick a small number of and had no idea where to even start. I think I got to a boss fight about 10 hours in that I couldn't beat and just never picked the game back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How invasive was all the party poo poo in Pillars of Eternity? I loving hate when those games assault me with like 4+ people whose skills and progressions I have to juggle because it just ends up becoming so time consuming and battles end up completely crazy and hard to track without pausing every 10 goddamn seconds.

Divinity did it better... partly because coop, but also because of straight Fallout style tactical turn based poo poo. I love XCOM style.

EDIT:

Nate RFB posted:

I had never played a BG-like game before PoE and I found it completely overwhelming. Like you immediately have access to like 15+ spells that you can only pick a small number of and had no idea where to even start. I think I got to a boss fight about 10 hours in that I couldn't beat and just never picked the game back up.

Aaaand question answered, looks like. Shame. :smith:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh if only Divinity hadn't had such insultingly bad writing. :(
The combat was decent and visually it was a pure delight. So, so pretty.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Beeswax posted:

Oh if only Divinity hadn't had such insultingly bad writing. :(
The combat was decent and visually it was a pure delight. So, so pretty.

I just wish Larian would just go full NWN style and include a real DM client type thing to go along with their developer tools. Having to still go back to NWN2 as a codebase to create an entirely new ruleset with steampunk-inspired stuff was a really time consuming pain in the rear end, let me tell you.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

I loving hate when those games assault me with like 4+ people whose skills and progressions I have to juggle because it just ends up becoming so time consuming and battles end up completely crazy and hard to track without pausing every 10 goddamn seconds.

This is exactly why I hate real-time with pause RPGs. Give me real-time with a single character (or completely AI-controlled party members, like Mass Effect or Neverwinter Nights 1) or turn-based with a party.

e: ^^^ :lol: at us bringing up NWN simultaneously on two separate topics

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 17, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

How invasive was all the party poo poo in Pillars of Eternity? I loving hate when those games assault me with like 4+ people whose skills and progressions I have to juggle because it just ends up becoming so time consuming and battles end up completely crazy and hard to track without pausing every 10 goddamn seconds.

Infinity Engine games are probably not for you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

I just wish Larian would just go full NWN style and include a real DM client type thing to go along with their developer tools. Having to still go back to NWN2 as a codebase to create an entirely new ruleset with steampunk-inspired stuff was a really time consuming pain in the rear end, let me tell you.

I don't. gently caress NWN. The best thing you can say about NWN2 was the story was pretty good once you got past the abysmal first chapter.

If people want to make interactive fanfic they can use RPG maker like all those people on steam with their waifus and bunny girl things.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Was PoE even good? I figured it would probably have a decent story, unless it was too buggy to actually complete.

It was a better game than BG1-2 and I loved those. But I can no longer go back to them because PoE beats them in almost every department. Aside from loading times but at this point I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Edit:As for Divinity OS, it didn't really have abysmal writing so much as abysmally bad VA direction.

That's one of the things I noticed about the OS2 beta, in how much more I enjoyed the writing. Until I realized that it boiled down to all the voiced lines not being voiced yet.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 17, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I don't. gently caress NWN. The best thing you can say about NWN2 was the story was pretty good once you got past the abysmal first chapter.

If people want to make interactive fanfic they can use RPG maker like all those people on steam with their waifus and bunny girl things.

None of those have DM Clients that allow for DMed multiplayer stuff, which is literally the ONLY thing I have ever used NWN2 for. Still have never played any of the SP campaigns, though supposedly Mask of the Betrayer and Mysteries of Westgate were pretty good... dunno, I can't stand the loving D&D system, which is why we rebuilt the whole drat thing to be skill-based for our system.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Infinity Engine games are probably not for you.

The reason Planescape: Torment is the best Infinity Engine game is that it understood that while the IE is a bad system for RPGs it can be re-purposed as a mediocre system for visual novels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm sorry? Street Fighter is extremely serious and not at all anime, at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc8AiMZ9pNc

looks plenty anime to me, what are you on about

Microcline posted:

The reason Planescape: Torment is the best Infinity Engine game is that it understood that while the IE is a bad system for RPGs it can be re-purposed as a mediocre system for visual novels.

Actually, IE RPGs own a whole lot, and the best IE game is the dungeon crawler icewind dale. Not as good as PoE, but still very good.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IE games owning is a true fact, but PS:T is still the best.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Are there any significant news on the release (or project status) for "The Asylum" adventure game by Agustin Cordes?

I know they claimed it was almost ready on their Kickstarter more than 3 and a half years ago, but then they changed the engine, went into development hell it seems and I think at some point discussed early access but dropped that plan too.

Then I remember seeing a teaser intro video about a year ago, and I thought at least the game is finally getting released, but nope, nothing since.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AbstractNapper posted:

Are there any significant news on the release (or project status) for "The Asylum" adventure game by Agustin Cordes?

I know they claimed it was almost ready on their Kickstarter more than 3 and a half years ago, but then they changed the engine, went into development hell it seems and I think at some point discussed early access but dropped that plan too.

Then I remember seeing a teaser intro video about a year ago, and I thought at least the game is finally getting released, but nope, nothing since.

On a different forum, July this year:

Agustin Cordes posted:

Here’s a little something we released today. After lots of experimenting, we settled on an interface for Asylum dubbed “Look ‘n Click”, which works essentially the same with mouse, gamepad and touchscreen. Very pleasurable to play on the couch and a big TV, but of course feels just like home with the venerable mouse.

Thoughts on what you see in the video?

We have cool news on the way too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPs8400DRLk

This is from one year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PC56qGEWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T54iouvZu2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akqafHcKSfo

Agustin Cordes posted:

The reason I don’t want to venture a release date is to avoid giving you false expectations. We’ve been doing so for the past years (harkening back to an embarrassing “Coming 2011”) and you see how that went. This is a huge game, too huge we reckon, with a difficult schedule that’s been hard to estimate, but we’re pulling it off. We’re also very stubborn when it comes to the quality and style of the things we do. The kind of detail we’re striving to achieve can be seen in this mysterious tape recorder — note the strikingly realistic wobbling tape head:

But seriously, rest assured that all is well and that we’re making progress every day. The moment Asylum is closer to become a reality, it will all happen very fast: new trailer, dozens of screenshots, lengthy gameplay video, post-mortem, live Q&A, demo, you name it. We’re saving all that to build hype for the shocking moment of truth when you get to see for yourselves the fruit of five years of work (and counting). It will happen. 100% guaranteed.

For now, thank you so much for your patience and support. Here’s hoping you enjoyed this preliminar look into our ambitious project at Senscape that may earn a permanent place in your nightmares.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's weird I don't even really care about how long radio the universe is taking, it's just nice to get the occasional surprise gif out of nowhere.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mr Underhill posted:

On a different forum, July this year
[...]

Well, that's something I guess. And he sounds optimistic about the end result and how impressive it's going to be. I've looked through their public kickstarter updates and it looks like they are preparing something.. "big". Maybe some new gameplay video (?).

I was not a backer, and that's probably a good thing since I am still waiting on 3 --could be more-- delayed projects from around that period, only one of which I feel good about.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Shantae is still in testing and is looking at a "4th quarter" release. Sigh. At least they revealed some content I wasn't aware of, like NG+.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shantae is not going to come out this year and that was apparent from their last update. It's not a crowdfunding thing, they go through this same rigmarole every time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Some dude is remaking the original Castlevania in Unreal Engine 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONE-71l3Xg

I'm posting this here because he also made a Kickstarter for it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103682474/castlevania-1-remake/description

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

It's an improvement over BG but it's still bad. Not needing to use most of your abilities or think about the combat a lot just makes it pointless busywork.

Nate RFB posted:

I understand how important it is to the industry but I'll be glad when WRPG designers get away from Dungeons & Dragons. All of this stuff is 4e/5e tropes but you're managing 1 character, not 6.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I really wish they weren't taking a bright colorful vivid game and making it dark and shadowy.

Also they're gonna get Konami'd right in the face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

quote:

the other challenge is working out all the legal stuff. 
i prefer to fill my brain with how to make games, not how to do business, 
so i'll probably get someone else to help me out on that.

:allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

the other challenge is working out all the legal stuff.
i prefer to fill my brain with how to make games, not how to do business,
so i'll probably get someone else to help me out on that.

Yeah good luck with that, champ.

e: oh

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish they weren't taking a bright colorful vivid game and making it dark and shadowy.

It's important in a precision platforming game to not be able to see a drat thing every time you knock out a candle.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ImpAtom posted:

Also they're gonna get Konami'd right in the face.

I think the guy made it dark to hide the terrible walk animation of the character.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What the gently caress is that garbage Rondo mix?

E: I mean it's technically a mix of Vampire Killer but Rondo does it best so gently caress whatever the hell that is.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 19, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the guy made it dark to hide the terrible walk animation of the character.

I don't know how you translate the classic walk into 3D because the Belmont's walk like they're holding a load in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=BOyTovLVWcY&video_start=0&audio=vlayiIBH75o&audio_start=8

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 19, 2016

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Maybe harsh lighting and super bright particle effects were a mistake. Every single one of these " *blank* recreated in UE4" always look lovely because the people making them actually don't know a thing about moderation with lighting and graphical effects, usually combined with them having no artistic sensibilities. In this case it looks like all of that is combined with the person making it not actually being able to animate or make decent models.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Mage Knight posted:

Maybe harsh lighting and super bright particle effects were a mistake. Every single one of these " *blank* recreated in UE4" always look lovely because the people making them actually don't know a thing about moderation with lighting and graphical effects, usually combined with them having no artistic sensibilities. In this case it looks like all of that is combined with the person making it not actually being able to animate or make decent models.

What are you talking about?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

:v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:barf:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

My favorite part is that every non-professional X in UE4 remake is indistinguishable from an early 2000s game if it weren't for the dynamic lighting and reflections.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
It's finally topical again: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/481884736/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Wamdoodle posted:

What are you talking about?!
:v:

This is all a layman's perspective and if anyone who actually understands 3d rendering could chime in and explain if I'm being dumb that would be cool, but...

The developers of Unreal Engine 4 cite "Filmic Games" on their page about physically based rendering as their reason for having the most plastic sheeny looking everything specular in every scene if you don't actually change stuff in each material's settings. YES If you gently caress around with a camera enough a measurable amount of light is reflecting off of this fabric from the lightsource. Of course! NO sir, I do not like it when you make said object bloom out into everything else in view because something glowing is anywhere near it and you just have to show off how great this rendering tech is.

Ever been inside of a base made out of metal in Ark: Survival Evolved? It's like a disco floor anywhere you look where if a line can be formed by reflecting something off of it you can be damned sure that the white hot glow of a nuclear explosion will be blasted into your eyeholes. It never ceases to amaze me that some (SOME) people actually want every videogame to look like they are viewing it through a specular+diffuse kaleidoscope of random particle effects and motion blur.

Maybe PBR laser show is the new normal and every single torch and candle creating a giant collage of lens flare is just totally cool and normal and I need to accept said normal, but let me throw in another much better looking-but-still-an-example UE4 Remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBRPuLdQosk

Here's an example of the type of crazy reflections I am talking about. I guess the exposure making everything else dark doesn't really help either. :barf:

We aren't even outside! My eyes!

You are going to see a lot of Kickstarter games using UE4 that look like this. Special mention goes to Super Babies: World of Trouble for not even building the lighting in the level before recording their Kickstarter pitch.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Listen, those fancy effects are in UE4 for some reason. People should get maximum from their 3,99$ purchase of Breakout Clone in Full HD, or they will think it's one of those "indie" games. *cranks up all the lightning settins to the full, needs sunglasses to work on the game without going blind*

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I didn't notice anybody talk about the new games on Fig apart from Wasteland 3. Were they posted here already?

Make sail: bills itself as an advanced sailing simulator where you construct the boat yourself. Has so far reached its 50,000$ goal with a while to go.

Trackless: A first person adventure game. Looks pretty unremarkable but seems set to get the money it needs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I didn't notice anybody talk about the new games on Fig apart from Wasteland 3. Were they posted here already?

Make sail: bills itself as an advanced sailing simulator where you construct the boat yourself. Has so far reached its 50,000$ goal with a while to go.

Trackless: A first person adventure game. Looks pretty unremarkable but seems set to get the money it needs.

They both seem very low? $20K for an adventure game?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Depends on the length of the game, really. Also they could have funding from elsewhere that's not included in the total.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

senrath posted:

Depends on the length of the game, really. Also they could have funding from elsewhere that's not included in the total.

For 20k you could hire one developer for like 3 months. I guess if it's just some hobbiest dev who needs to buy stuff like art/software/music then sure, but that seems like an odd match for fig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Other sources of funding is also something you should really be telling investors.