Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Geemer posted:

Apparently the new Geforce Experience 3.0 requires you to log into a Nvidia, Facebook or Google account. Which loving rear end in a top hat thought that was a good idea?

Guess I'm not going to experience the new Geforce Experience. :shrug:

Even better, GFE 2 apparently will not let you start the program at all anymore, and it just goes straight to the download for GFE 3. Which crashed during installation for me but not before having uninstalled GFE 2, which no longer shows up in the windows program list or search.

Thank you for forcibly deleting your own software from my system nvidia, solid update :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GFE has done that crash on first install for me for a long time. Then it always installs fine the second try.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any guesses if the current Nvidia prices are fairly stable or think we are still in the new release price bubble?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Naffer posted:

The 470 is cut in two ways. It has 11% fewer shaders (2048/2304 = 89%)

It also comes with 4 GB of RAM at 1650 MHz
Some 470's come with RAM clocked at 1750 MHz
The reference 480 4GB is supposed to have RAM clocked at 1750 MHz, but some ship with 2000 MHz RAM
the 480 8G has 2000 MHz RAM.

Basically you have a 11% shader cut and a roughly 17% memory bandwidth cut. The 1750 MHz models have ~12% less memory bandwidth than the 480 8G.

So they're pretty close depending on workload.

Also a 12% cut to texture units, 144 -> 128. The 470 is a pretty nice little card, especially for anyone with a 1080p monitor that wants to punt on bigger decisions for a year.

I think the stupidly crowded price structure of the 4x0 series is the best evidence that polaris didn't achieve everything that AMD wanted for it. $150 - 180 - 200 - 230 is just dumb, they must have been aiming for higher with the 480. I predict that will get a 480X respin once they're done with the other stuff on their plate (new PS4s, Zen, Vega).

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any guesses if the current Nvidia prices are fairly stable or think we are still in the new release price bubble?

I'd guess you're looking at 1070s then since they still have the biggest premium? The ~$400 area is popular and totally reasonable for most budgets, and the only competition that board makers have is between themselves. As long as stock keeps moving, they have zero reason to drop prices. So I'd say those will stay high for a while yet -- it's about to be fall release time so I predict gamers will lose patience and shell out the extra $50.

1060s are already available at MSRP or very close to it (6GB for $250 still sells out quick, but you can probably find one most days). 1080s have a pretty tiny premium, percent-wise.

So still new release bubble, but it's not gonna suddenly pop or anything. They'll keep trending down, but really really slowly. The build-up of demand has been bigger than anything that's ever happened before -- it almost 2 years between major releases, and 28nm has been going since 2013.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Haha, if you mistype your login information in Geforce Experience 3.0 one too many times, you will be locked out for 30 minutes, because clearly, your video driver requires more security than, say, your banking account.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

Even better, GFE 2 apparently will not let you start the program at all anymore, and it just goes straight to the download for GFE 3. Which crashed during installation for me but not before having uninstalled GFE 2, which no longer shows up in the windows program list or search.

Thank you for forcibly deleting your own software from my system nvidia, solid update :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if I'm missing something since my GFE is still exactly the same as always, last driver update being the one on 30/08 mentioning BF1, no changes since.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'd guess you're looking at 1070s then since they still have the biggest premium?

Yep looking at 1070s as I start the process of getting into VR stuff. I wasn't planning on buying a headset for a few months, but I've got a 670 so I was thinking of going ahead on the 1070 now so I could play some games I've been waiting on a GPU upgrade to play. I know usually GPUs stabilize after the release hoopla at a price point and don't move a lot from there but I was dithering on if prices are about to fall further. Sounds like I shouldn't expect that anytime soon.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mcbexx posted:

Haha, if you mistype your login information in Geforce Experience 3.0 one too many times, you will be locked out for 30 minutes, because clearly, your video driver requires more security than, say, your banking account.

My banking account doesn't allow more than 16 characters for a password. Two years ago it didn't allow more than 10. :psyduck:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Digirat posted:

So, I'm guessing Nvidia saw that lovely derail about which company had the worst drivers/accompanying software and wanted to settle the argument once and for all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Geemer posted:

So, I'm guessing Nvidia saw that lovely derail about which company had the worst drivers/accompanying software and wanted to settle the argument once and for all.
it reminds me of the daffy duck rabbit season gag

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FuzzySlippers posted:

They'll start bundling games people may or may not be interested in, and when that promotion ends the prices will dip $10-$20. If your deciding when to buy, I don't think you'll save boatloads or anything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuzzySlippers posted:

The next significant price drop will probably be when NVIDIA releases a 1080 Ti/1180, which probably won't happen for 6 months or so unless AMD pulls their head out of their rear end and releases a GPU that competes with something other than NVIDIA's slowest product. Otherwise it will just be the natural progression of slow price drops until a refresh.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol I guess creating an account before this change was the way to go because it was smooth sailing in my case

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PerrineClostermann posted:

My banking account doesn't allow more than 16 characters for a password. Two years ago it didn't allow more than 10. :psyduck:

The project to expand from 10 to 16 probably cost millions of dollars. The incremental cost to increase it to 128 was probably close to zero, but :effort:.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mcbexx posted:

Since the Nvidia Experience more or less is a remote desktop application, I will allow it.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If my banking account required a password i would probably cancel it. That seems very insecure. Mine works with a little hardware device that you insert your bank card into and challenge from the website + your pin and then it spits out the appropriate response.
What i'm saying is Nvidia should issue RSA tokens with their video cards to properly secure GFE, a password no matter how long just won't do.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

NihilismNow posted:

If my banking account required a password i would probably cancel it. That seems very insecure. Mine works with a little hardware device that you insert your bank card into and challenge from the website + your pin and then it spits out the appropriate response.
What i'm saying is Nvidia should issue RSA tokens with their video cards to properly secure GFE, a password no matter how long just won't do.
This is very interesting. You're talking about logging into your account from a personal computer in your home? What country is this in and what bank? If you don't mind sharing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

NihilismNow posted:

Haha. Here in the US our banks just open accounts for us. They even helpfully setup email addresses and passwords for us.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

This is very interesting. You're talking about logging into your account from a personal computer in your home? What country is this in and what bank? If you don't mind sharing.

ABN Amro in the Netherlands. Please don't steal all my money.
https://www.abnamro.nl/nl/en/personal/payments/edentifier/index.html
The latest one actually doesn't require you to manually type in the challenge, but i still do :tinfoil:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Col.Kiwi posted:

Many UK banks do similar, for personal and business accounts.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My blizzard account has more authentication checks than my bank account. Or Paypal.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

My blizzard account has more authentication checks than my bank account. Or Paypal.

For most people, it's probably worth more.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yeah my blizzard account is the only account so secure it almost prevented me from accessing it, after not playing for a couple years and forgetting my username/password/email details I had to spend a few days recovering everything. I almost gave up before I finally found a tech support person who probably gave me more info than they were supposed to. Blizzard definitely overestimates human ability to remember all of that poo poo.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah my blizzard account is the only account so secure it almost prevented me from accessing it, after not playing for a couple years and forgetting my username/password/email details I had to spend a few days recovering everything. I almost gave up before I finally found a tech support person who probably gave me more info than they were supposed to. Blizzard definitely overestimates human ability to remember all of that poo poo.

Its 2016 there's no need to remember all 300+ online accounts that you've created over your lifetime. KeePass that stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except, you know. Where Keepass was disclosed to have a security vulnerability and the security flaw was declined to be patched because:

"8.2.2016 @ 15:45: Received response from Dominik Reichl: The vulnerability will not be fixed. The indirect costs of switching to HTTPS (like lost advertisement revenue) make it a inviable solution."

No, what really gets my goat is when there are other family members who can't be arsed to remember their own usernames and passwords and want you to do it for them insteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead.

I mean, like, bitch, I can barely remember my OWN goddamn passwords and usernames, use your own loving brain for once, it's not like you use it for anything else!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except, you know. Where Keepass was disclosed to have a security vulnerability and the security flaw was declined to be patched because:

When you are aware of the problem it doesn't matter. When you get the update notification go to the website, download the installer but don't install it, just calculate checksum for the file. Then wait couple weeks in case you hear rumblings about exploits, redownload the installer, preferably at work or other computer and recalculate the checksum and make sure it matches. You can then be pretty certain that the installer is authentic.

But it is annoying to download installers from non-HTTPS websites, you can never completely trust them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

HSBC in the UK does this (more or less), plus requiring you answer a question like 'what was your first school called' every time. US banking is famously a bit Stone Age.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 9, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

When you are aware of the problem it doesn't matter. When you get the update notification go to the website, download the installer but don't install it, just calculate checksum for the file. Then wait couple weeks in case you hear rumblings about exploits, redownload the installer, preferably at work or other computer and recalculate the checksum and make sure it matches. You can then be pretty certain that the installer is authentic.

Easy peasy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"8.2.2016 @ 15:45: Received response from Dominik Reichl: The vulnerability will not be fixed. The indirect costs of switching to HTTPS (like lost advertisement revenue) make it a inviable solution."

No, what really gets my goat is when there are other family members who can't be arsed to remember their own usernames and passwords and want you to do it for them insteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead.

I mean, like, bitch, I can barely remember my OWN goddamn passwords and usernames, use your own loving brain for once, it's not like you use it for anything else!

People use the automatic updates? I just decline them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

feedmegin posted:

HSBC in the UK does this (more or less), plus requiring you answer a question like 'what was your first school called' every time. US banking is famously a bit Stone Age.

gently caress that sort of question, it's like they're loving optimizing for ease of lookup from social media, and they're from a small enough set that even if it isn't public it's just a really really bad password.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Alzion posted:

Its 2016 there's no need to remember all 300+ online accounts that you've created over your lifetime. KeePass that stuff.

One time many, many years ago I used this program and spent days remembering or otherwise recovering passwords for accounts and emails spanning back to the late 90's. It was a huge ordeal, but I was very pleased to so thoroughly accomplish this. I put it on a waterproof and "guaranteed" tough and secure thumb drive, and then encrypted all of it once again with truecrypt (before the whole thing happened with that). Of course this took up a relatively tiny amount of space so one day I wanted to play a movie on my xbox and couldn't find my normal USB drives. So I used that one. The xbox reformatted it. Without asking, or even telling me what it did. :lol:

I wrote it all off and used one password for everything for a long time after that. I don't anymore, I have to remember probably close to 10 unique passwords all the time now.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

feedmegin posted:

This is cool. I'm in Canada and banking here in some ways is very different from the US, in other ways very similar. Certainly online security for all online banking here is just a password though. Sounds like things are a lot better in some other countries across the pond

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

All I can say, is password MAX SIZE limits are the friggin worst.

I don't want to use some short mixed set password that's easier than hell for computers to crack, but is hard for me to remember.

I have been using easy for me to remember, longer phrases that make sense to only me, but there is always that one site (Bank, some other "professional institution" usually) that has their max size is 8 char or something stupid, but also has to have a #, Upper and Lowercase letter, Special Character, etc.. :argh:

Maybe I am falling for a bit of that XKCD comic, but It has been a lot easier to remember unique passwords for each account, rather than using the same few complex passwords spread around various accounts. Keeping complex ones saved, anywhere, seems like it sort of defeats the whole purpose and usually just screws yourself when you happen to forget a pass and need it but it's not accessible. :/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

I thought that was standard practice for banks.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I also have a little dingus that I log into my bank with but it doesn't require my card, just a username on the website and a PIN on the dingus for it to give me the timed access code. I think there's an option to use a password instead but I can't imagine why you'd want that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do wish nVidia would confirm/deny a mobile 1050 part. I've got a friend who needs to upgrade her laptop to something that will run games with all the bells and whistles at 1080p...and I can't with good reservation recommend a 960M to her due to its age and processing anemia, and 965Ms are too rare. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the 1050 only have 768 CUDA cores, either - but it's got to be faster than the 960M.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wish nVidia would confirm/deny a mobile 1050 part. I've got a friend who needs to upgrade her laptop to something that will run games with all the bells and whistles at 1080p...and I can't with good reservation recommend a 960M to her due to its age and processing anemia, and 965Ms are too rare. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the 1050 only have 768 CUDA cores, either - but it's got to be faster than the 960M.

Any reason why a 1060 equiped laptop is not being considered? That would do what you're friend needs it to and there are some pretty light and slim models.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Or... or, consider this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi7gbWPXCXg

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I really wouldn't be surprised if there was a mobile gp107 sometime in the next 6 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So to get back on topic (infosec thread is ---> that way)...

Xbox One S and all PS4s will be able to do HDR output over HDMI. On PC we've had wide-gamut screens for years and years now, but they've always been generally not recommended for casual users because only some programs take advantage of it natively. And for everything else (movies, games) you end up with worse color because standard sRGB gets stretched out -- or you run the monitor in a compatibility mode and have paid extra money for nothing.

So with the new DCI-P3 color space being a consumer display standard, and video game consoles taking advantage of it, will PC games also incorporate native wide gamut? Note that most computer monitors with wide gamut are calibrated around the Adobe RGB standard, which is different than DCI-P3. (The lovely thing about standards is there are so many to chose from! :argh:)

(There's also a future standard, which is already supported by HDMI 2.0 as a signal type, called Rec 2020 that we don't even have the technology to display yet. People are saying that we will need screens based on new technology like quantum dots to actually output that many colors.)