Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

EmDuck posted:

Its only as good as it is now because right now it faces nothing but Russian tanks. The biggest and main weakness of the Maus are the turret cheeks that make aiming at other tanks a risk, the 100/122mm guns only work against the front of its turret at ~100m, even then requiring both D variants of the ammo to do so, without the use of APDS and HEATFS. Technically the ISU-152's HEAT would work at any range but thats both 6.0 and about as common as a unicorn.
Meanwhile, all the American 90mms can penetrate it at 1km with APCR and some at 1.5km with the M103 also capable at 1.5km, the M41 can do it at ~500m and even the M18/M4A3E8's 76mm is capable at ~100m with APCR.

As long as you don't expose your sides and keep some distance the Maus is pretty much a nightmare for Russian guns but not as big of an issue for American guns.

The spots the APDS and HEATFS shells can penetrate the front of its turret arent that easy to hit, most of the giant block of steel on its mantlet overlays another 200mm of armor behind it. The front armor isn't bad either and when angled can be a huge pain in the rear end to penetrate if you bother covering up the MG port behind terrain/objects.

To my surprise the 7.0 games I've been in have the Germans or US alone about as often as the Russians. It hasn't been that one sided affair nearly as much as I expected, and the Germans are the single faction quite a lot, more than the Russians in my experiences. Hell of a lot of people in the various King Tigers still.

Personally though I don't have a ton of faith in killing them with APCR, I find it a bit finicky and I tend to manuever over facing them straight up. In a pinch I've had luck shooting straight down the barrel with M82 and killing the entire turret crew + breech.

And yeah, the T32 is one of the best armored tanks in the game if you can maximize its traits. I've noticed the mantlet does have a pretty bad shot trap down into the driver and floor ammo though, it's been the way I've died a significant number of times, to the point I'm more careful about hiding my turret chin like my hull if at all possible

I might do a replay dump of some of my T32 games once I finish the M103 grind. There are a couple of interesting ones, like a 7v1 I won on Eastern Europe. Unfortunately my Shadowplay clips were only 5 mins from the end of the game, so I often cut 2/3s of the game out :(

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Maus and T32's are my "nightmare tanks" to bump into. Every other tank I can disable with one shot and kill with the next, but those two are troublesome. The T32's mantlet is tricky, even with the Leo's heat round, and the Maus has so many crewmembers you can never tell if you have another 10 seconds before they can return fire or if they are already waiting for your nose to poke out. I'd also add the M103 to the list, as the front of the turret is a ricochet machine and even decent heat rounds love to careen off of it.

kashbrok
Jul 11, 2013
I am finally grinding out my first T54 and Mice are probably the worst thing for me to run into. With default ammo I basically have to get a clean shot at their cheeks and hope it hits flat, get close to stay under their turret until I can find the magic pen shot, or if RNG is really screwing me I just have to track them so I can get back to cover or keep them still so I can get as flat an angle as possible.

By comparison, Leos die if you sneeze at them, while M60s & M103s suffer from US tankers, and are dangerous, but can be dealt with.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Coming back to WT after a bit of a break, does the matchmaking still use your highest battle rating vehicle or an average? Or something other algorithm entirely?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
It's just the highest one now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coohoolin posted:

Coming back to WT after a bit of a break, does the matchmaking still use your highest battle rating vehicle or an average? Or something other algorithm entirely?

Tanks: Highest

Planes: fancy algorithm but you can't be more than one rank (.3 BR) below your highest.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

kashbrok posted:

I am finally grinding out my first T54 and Mice are probably the worst thing for me to run into. With default ammo I basically have to get a clean shot at their cheeks and hope it hits flat, get close to stay under their turret until I can find the magic pen shot, or if RNG is really screwing me I just have to track them so I can get back to cover or keep them still so I can get as flat an angle as possible.

By comparison, Leos die if you sneeze at them, while M60s & M103s suffer from US tankers, and are dangerous, but can be dealt with.

M60s can be pretty tough when you go hull down. You will bounce all kinds of stuff. However the R2D2 is made of tinfoil and will often stick out even if the M60 does not have a LOS shot. One round in that will shred the crew and 2-3 rounds will often be the end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Do not lose hope, sometimes the roulette wheel does land on lucky 42.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Alchenar posted:

Pz.Bfw.IV

:ohdear:

It's a pretty tank, at least. But I hope you like the Pz IV J for some reason, because that's what it is.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
:rip:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So anyone have advice for the Vampire?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rayjenkins posted:

Garlic, sunlight and silver goddammit blade that's loving werewolves not vamps

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Enourmo posted:

Garlic, sunlight and silver goddammit blade that's loving werewolves not vamps

I thought vampires didn't like silver either.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Kill stealing like a boss.

http://gfycat.com/ExemplarySpitefulLamb

Dogfather
May 31, 2008

Rayjenkins posted:

low and fast, idiots will try to turn with you.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Dogfather posted:

low and fast, idiots will try to turn with you.

Yeah I've noticed that. I also sniped a saber in a high altitude headon after I kept dodging and climbing against him. Took like 15 minutes but I won the game.

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
I'm really bad but I'll apply anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So the front armor on the Jumbo's hull is hosed because it's treated as two separate plates, thus giving lots of bonuses for larger shells.

The Tiger (P)'s bolted on applique armor is treated as being 102+102mm plates bolted together
The Ferdinand has the same exact armor but it's treated as being a uniform 200mm
The later PZ IV's with the 50+30 plate on the front hull is treated as a single 80mm, though the 30mm plate is modeled as extra on the model.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Taerkar posted:

So the front armor on the Jumbo's hull is hosed because it's treated as two separate plates, thus giving lots of bonuses for larger shells.

The Tiger (P)'s bolted on applique armor is treated as being 102+102mm plates bolted together
The Ferdinand has the same exact armor but it's treated as being a uniform 200mm
The later PZ IV's with the 50+30 plate on the front hull is treated as a single 80mm, though the 30mm plate is modeled as extra on the model.

This kind of random inconsistency is par the course for Gaijin.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The best part is that the Tiger (P) and Ferdinand inconsistency makes no sense since it's literally the same hull.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The Tiger (P) does have the cut-out for the hull MG while the Ferdi does not. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't know how I always manage to attract the weird stalker idiots.

Start a match in Berlin and 4 seconds out of the gate I get tracked. I figure, "fine! some idiot doesn't know the proper etiquette to switch ammo!" and I go on my way after a few seconds repair. I get another 50m or so and another round grazes my other track. It definitely came from my team. I get to cover and another round just barely missed my track. I get distracted trying to see who did it (noticed a guilty looking Ferdi) and I get nailed by an enemy and die. I respawn again and notice the Ferdi's name is MorrisPanzer. I complain that someone is tracking me and guess who replies, "Maybe you're just poo poo!" <MorrisPanzer>

I continue on my way and get tracked again. This time I think it was a Panther. . . <MorrisPanzer> I know this can't be a coincidence. I get in a nice position to show my tracks and turn my turret away. I hop in the commaner's view to watch him while my turret is turned away. . . BAM! He nails my tracks again.

I repair, and just at I take off I nail his tracks. He starts typing, "WHAT! WHY? ENJOY BEING BANNED rear end in a top hat!" He manages to hit my barrel and make it critical. I exit the tank and he gets a TK. I finish the round doing SPAA and after the match I load up the replay so see what pissed him off. NOTHING! I was nowhere near him when he spawned, never bumped him, he just focused on me the whole match, trying to track me.

I load up the replay prior to that one to see if he was in that match. . . nope!
I load up the replay prior to that one. . . nope.
<6 replays later>
I find a Poland map where he was on the other team and I Killed him three times in a row, in the exact same spot sniping down the main street.

War Thunder is serious business!

Bonus "Thunderskill Stats"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus, those stats. How the gently caress do you get a 26% RB winrate? Even if you just die instantly in every fight your team should win like 40% without you.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Night10194 posted:

Jesus, those stats. How the gently caress do you get a 26% RB winrate? Even if you just die instantly in every fight your team should win like 40% without you.

By being an active detriment to your team. In addition to the opportunity cost of having him along instead of someone competent, he likely blocks fire lanes, shoots tracks, teamkills, etc. You can tell by the difference in AB vs RB stats- he can't sandbag an AB match because your individual competence matters very little in AB. Once he gets into RB, the situation changes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Going from the T32 to the stock ammo M103 was a real letdown.

Where do I shoot late model T-54s and IS-3+ to the front? Anywhere reliable? I've negated the angle a bunch of times on them it feels and I still get solid bounces. 75k RP to HEAT :(

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 6, 2015

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Night10194 posted:

57 matches isn't a very high sample size. He also exclusively played Germany, the most (8) of these matches in Jagdpanther, which is not exactly a spot where the teams would shine.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Got into some arcade plane battles after a looong break. Turns out they've made the P36 Hawk (at least the G model) actually roll pretty well, while it still seems to pull those same crazy loops as before.

I am okay with this.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Mazz posted:

Where do I shoot late model T-54s and IS-3+ to the front? Anywhere reliable? I've negated the angle a bunch of times on them it feels and I still get solid bounces. 75k RP to HEAT :(

It's a really small spot but in the IS- the right cheek on the turret if you can hit it. The round goes right through to the Gunner any other spot I find is a waste of time you will bounce all the time.

Trying for the small spot on the turret is your best shot since if it is facing you, you're about to take a round to the face any ways

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Commandante posted:

It's a really small spot but in the IS- the right cheek on the turret if you can hit it. The round goes right through to the Gunner any other spot I find is a waste of time you will bounce all the time.

Trying for the small spot on the turret is your best shot since if it is facing you, you're about to take a round to the face any ways

Yeah that's where I tend to shoot. It works well on the IS-1/2 and the T-54 '47 but my luck hasn't been good with the later stuff. I blame the US solid shot starting ammo though, its awful. I put 3 shots into the side of a Jagdtiger yesterday only to knock out the gunner and engine 3 times and have the kill stolen. At like a 17 second reload, that sure isn't fun.

EDIT: Just played another 5 or 6 games in the M103, this is definitely the least enjoyable experience I've ever had in War Thunder. You are not only slower and less agile then the things you fight, but you can barely penetrate them in most fights and do gently caress-all damage when you do. And only like 65 games needed to fix the ammo problem, but you'll still be slow as gently caress and have 127mm of actual armor.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 6, 2015

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mazz posted:

IS3s are bastard hard without HEATFS, hence why they were rampaging over everything after their armour was fixed at its old BR. I would say from experience fighting them that the most likely way to kill them frontally is the lower front plate. Most IS3 players will point their hull straight at you to take advantage of that bouncy as gently caress pike, but this means the lower front plate is completely unangled. Its sloped at 55 degrees though so if the IS3 isn't elevated relative to your position your mileage may vary.

Based on experience being blown up in my own T-54, best places to hit the turret frontally are as below:

The armour thickness and shape of the '49 isn't as effective as that of the '51 so you'll have a slightly easier time of it, but in both cases the square bits are as flat as the front of the turret gets. If you are at very close range and are somehow able to get a shot in at the very small section of the turret under the mantlet its only got 200mm effective so you should penetrate and at least jam the turret ring.

Do be careful though, because going for the turret ring frontally also works on your M103.

Other than that if you have decent elevation/depression you can probably get a shot through the lower front plate/glacis without it bouncing. Truth be told T-54s aren't that hard to destroy compared to the likes of the later Russian heavies. Speaking of T-54s, given so many Russian players at that level seem to take their Soviet era tanks very seriously with decals and what not, I'm glad I'm there to balance things out.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The M103 does get a shitload better once you unlock HEATFS, but it will still end up as little more than a backup tank when you get around to the M60. I'll probably end up dropping mine for the T92, even. If not that, then definitely the M47 if/when I get HEATFS for it. Speed and reload speed is just too important at tier V. The Maus swings on armor, the T-10 on straight speed and the default shell, but the M103 armor only really works against tanks without shell upgrades and without that it's a heavy that wants to be a medium.

I expect the T-10M will follow it into obsolescence when we get the T-62.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So I'm getting close to unlocking my Ho229 and I've been trying it a bit in test flight. It's like some kind of insane jet-powered spitfire with how much I have to worry about snapping the wings in half. Any advice for the batplane?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's just so mediocre at everything that I cannot compete in these 7.7 games. Its slow, it's armor is a joke compared to even the T-32, and the stock round is laughably bad. I think I'm going to shelve it for now, it's actually making me mad at video games.

I'm losing frontally to T-54 '47s right now because my round will not penetrate the spots it totally should, and the few rounds I do seem to get through things kills maybe one guy and hurts something, which they have fixed in the 17 seconds it takes me to reload.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Night10194 posted:

So I'm getting close to unlocking my Ho229 and I've been trying it a bit in test flight. It's like some kind of insane jet-powered spitfire with how much I have to worry about snapping the wings in half. Any advice for the batplane?

Once you go about 500-550Km/h you have to beware your wings. The structural upgrades did noticeably make it sturdier though - but you still have to be careful. Alternatively fly with a a joystick and you can do whatever, just have to watch out for over-speed.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Night10194 posted:

Get used the timing in cutting throttle and engaging airbrakes to cut speeds down into safe range for the strongest possible turns and flips, you're a Tier 5 Chaika.

Do not be afraid to eat up ground targets, a single 229 left alone can win places like Sicily without having to land. Try to avoid Hispano-havers.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Mazz posted:

It's just so mediocre at everything that I cannot compete in these 7.7 games. Its slow, it's armor is a joke compared to even the T-32, and the stock round is laughably bad. I think I'm going to shelve it for now, it's actually making me mad at video games.

I'm losing frontally to T-54 '47s right now because my round will not penetrate the spots it totally should, and the few rounds I do seem to get through things kills maybe one guy and hurts something, which they have fixed in the 17 seconds it takes me to reload.

The M103 is amazingly hosed right now, the default shell should penetrate a T-54 glacis out to 2km, the UFP angles are lower than normal and the turret's front quarter is missing half an inch of armor, as well as the atrocious modeling not helping.

It won't matter though because an M60A1 is hella better armored and with M48s available it really has no space in a lineup.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Night10194 posted:

get belts for HVAP immediately, you can kill tanks with stock belts (although I never had much success, others have reported as such so I'll take their word for it) but with HVAP just a few rounds on target is an instant kill on everything including heavy tanks.

And as always, Go Faster (tm)

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Don't be afraid to use those HVAP rounds on planes either because they're all going to seriously gently caress up things like engines and pilots too. Also once you get accustomed to the velocities of the rounds, you can take out bombers from pretty impressive ranges.

Then again, if you intend on just going for air targets and drat the ground, just stick with the minengeschoß and annihilate anything that dares stand in your way.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rayjenkins posted:

Don't be afraid to use those HVAP rounds on planes either because they're all going to seriously gently caress up things like engines and pilots too. Also once you get accustomed to the velocities of the rounds, you can take out bombers from pretty impressive ranges.

Then again, if you intend on just going for air targets and drat the ground, just stick with the minengeschoß and annihilate anything that dares stand in your way.

Worth noting that the minengeschoß belt has 1/4 HVAP rounds in it and the HVAP belt has 1/4 minengeschoß rounds in it so you can actually kill the same tanks with the HEI-T belt you could with HVAP, and the HVAP belt still has some explosions to it too, so it's not really that big of a difference whichever you choose.

Then again, imho, the HVAP belt is more worth it because it's the tanks that will need many hits to go down, and aircraft usually go very fast even with HVAP hits, meanwhile HEI-T is prefectly useless against tanks, so regardless of what your intended prey is, HVAP is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Enourmo posted:

And as always, Go Faster (tm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0Hk7s7AsQ

fwiw, the Ho-229 is one of the most fun planes in Sim Battles. I haven't flown it in a while but after the patch in that video it became impossible to stall out. You could take off at like 120kmph by simply holding the stick straight back. Think of it like a jet stuka vs other jets but it will totally outfly prop planes with even the slightest initial advantage.

• Locked thread