Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tanks who run away with poo poo I'm in the middle of stabbing are the loving worst. Pull it all at once if you can, but if you can't then once your stop to fight stay put until all the targets are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

orcane posted:

The mobs will die of DoTs on the way or in the first attack on the next pack, it's no big deal :shrug:

I too, love being locked into combat MP regen while having to spam inefficient instant-cast heals to keep the tank upright as they run off towards the next pack instead of letting me set them up with shields so they can pull to their heart's content.

edit: context: AST

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 15, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sade posted:

If it's even possible for the DPS to get far enough ahead of you to pull something, you're going way too slow. Start running toward the next pack when the last couple mobs from the previous pack are at like 15% so you can pull with zero downtime and you'll never have this problem again.

No, for all the reasons that have already been said. I honestly get kinda annoyed as a DPS when a tank can't sit loving still for the end of the pack. You're playing an MMO, why the gently caress is your time suddenly so valuable?

Also, they pulled ahead of me after a boss and didn't stop, meaning I legitimately did not have time to pull before them.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I feel guilty when I'm tanking and I have to move to dodge something or re-position enemies, because that means the DPS have to readjust themselves for positionals.

Apparently just being aware of this makes me better than like 90% of tanks.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I feel guilty when I'm tanking and I have to move to dodge something or re-position enemies, because that means the DPS have to readjust themselves for positionals.

Actually dodging aoes and not making the healer spam heals on you basically makes you a 1%er in this game

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

That's what TBN/Sheltron is for.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cythereal posted:

Also exciting is when half my spell casts fail (be it healing the tank or attacking enemies) because the tank pulls ahead out of range before the cast finishes.

Nothing feels worse than having a second Foul about to overcharge in a few seconds, and the tank just won't let you get that cast off. Or pull the boss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I too, love being locked into combat MP regen while having to spam inefficient instant-cast heals to keep the tank upright as they run off towards the next pack instead of letting me set them up with shields so they can pull to their heart's content.

More importantly, you need the out of combat downtime to be able to Noctural -> Aspected -> Diurnal swap so you have more time to set up Earthly Star/cards without scrambling on the next pack. Realistically, my only big tank bugbear at the moment is every rear end in a top hat who tries to pull the Morbol and the hallway pack after that in Swallow's Compass. Just kill the Morbol first, fucker!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Tanks: stop doing this poo poo

Literally make me

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In all seriousness though, if you're running with me as tank you're probably also running with my RDM and BRD buds, in which case you're getting mana shifts and refreshes on cooldowns to support my crippling addiction to getting punched in the face by minotaurs.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sade posted:

In all seriousness though, if you're running with me as tank you're probably also running with my RDM and BRD buds, in which case you're getting mana shifts and refreshes on cooldowns to support my crippling addiction to getting punched in the face by minotaurs.

There's a massive difference running in a group where you all know each other/know how to play with each other and general etiquette in groups.

I would also imagine that the 10 seconds you save by dragging stragglers from pack to pack is negated by the MP/TP conservation the rest of the party has to do in a vast majority of cases.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

e: Didnt realize that eureka needed me to be level 70. I guess that answers my question lol

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2018

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I, too, hate making mobs turn because it's the less bad option compared eating every AOE. But consider this: if there's enough dudes that constant AOE dodging makes the mobs spin and jiggle, there's enough dudes that the DPS should be firing AOEs, which aren't positional. If they aren't using AOEs on big packs, that's on them.

Vermain posted:

More importantly, you need the out of combat downtime to be able to Noctural -> Aspected -> Diurnal swap so you have more time to set up Earthly Star/cards without scrambling on the next pack. Realistically, my only big tank bugbear at the moment is every rear end in a top hat who tries to pull the Morbol and the hallway pack after that in Swallow's Compass. Just kill the Morbol first, fucker!

It's entirely possible to drag along the Morbol and kill it too if you've got the chops. It's just that most people don't, and don't want to admit they don't have the chops, so any time they might have saved by dragging it into the AOE pack is more than lost by getting annihilated by Bad Breaths. It's so much easier and safer to kill the Morbol on its own that it should be SOP. But it's slower so most people won't.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Sade posted:

Then don't give other people this advice without that context.

I've done shisui on sam with someone doing this poo poo and it's like I've got enough tp to do a pack and blow invigorate to finish, but if you chain them then I'm out and doing single target halfway through the second.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MechaCrash posted:

I, too, hate making mobs turn because it's the less bad option compared eating every AOE. But consider this: if there's enough dudes that constant AOE dodging makes the mobs spin and jiggle, there's enough dudes that the DPS should be firing AOEs, which aren't positional. If they aren't using AOEs on big packs, that's on them.

As a melee it's less about where the mob is facing (as long as I'm not getting cleaved) and more about where they are in relation to each other. Thankfully it's not a consistent problem but it sucks blowing a Tenka on 1 target due to excessive tank movement.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MechaCrash posted:

Which raptor form button is the aoe

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

form shift

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Twin snakes.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Being able to play all the roles goes a long way toward making you better at all the roles, if you're paying the least bit of attention to what's going on. Just don't do the things that piss you off when other roles do them, if you switch, and you'll be better than a lot of DF pugs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

Pulling the morbal into the second half is a good tell for a tank who thinks they're good but isn't really a team player. Sure you can kill it along with the rest of the trash but the extra giant body plus another large AoE to avoid makes finishing up that hallway much more annoying. Killing it by itself between the halls takes like 10-15 seconds and makes things much smoother on everybody.

I'm usually a pull everything kind of guy but there are reasonable exceptions to that.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I can finally forget these stupid fish exist. until the allied quests

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SL the Pyro posted:

Well I guess we found them. The one person in the world with bad enough opinions to hate the namazu.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I have literally had a tank who pulled the morbol, dodged an aoe by running through the Morbol towards me (playing healer) and caused bad breath to hit me (I was on the very edge with only left or right to run due to walls) and himself and wiped the party as I sat there unable to cast while he died of his own stupidity....... and yes I too hate when the tank decides 'FIGHTS DONE' and runs the packs a mile away because he wants to go through the gate that opens when the mobs die......except 2 mobs are left, its Hell's lid and he ALSO only has 10% hp and oh look he loving LoS'd me when I was casting a heal on him. 'Was being closer to the door worth dieing to the hydrate while being chased by a irate healer and two melee dps?'

Perhaps worse are the tanks that do this poo poo in dungeons without aoe options and so try to gather everything and then run away with enemies still attacking him and we already can't efficiently kill the fuckers and taking away the healer dps by forcing him to heal your dumb rear end isn't speeding it up. I learned to be a healer because I don't trust healers, I learned to be a tank because my dog can probably play more efficiently then some of the tanks I've been with (provoke pulling, ultimatum pulling, only use cool downs on bosses, don't use darkside in tank stance, starts combat in dps stance and is pissed when everyone keeps stealing enmity from him despite using provoke on cool down, running to the next gate before the fight is done with two mobs over 20% hp and refusing to attack them just waiting for the gate to open because it'd be faster then spending the time to kill them while he grinds his nose on the gate, or those assholes I encounter EVERY time I play monk who literally start running around the mob to attack it because they have a monk in the party.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I guess we found them. The one person in the world with bad enough opinions to hate the namazu.

Huh? Everyone hates the Namazu. The reason their Beast Tribe quests are so good is because they realized there was no way they could ever make the Namazu sympathetic and decided to not even try.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jalapeno_dude posted:

Huh? Everyone hates the Namazu. The reason their Beast Tribe quests are so good is because they realized there was no way they could ever make the Namazu sympathetic and decided to not even try.

actually they are hydaelen's perfect children

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know how you can look at such endearingly dopey fish things and think "these are things I want to spend less time with"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's more of a 'these are funny fish people but I'm going to be glad when this is over because every moment I spend with them is another moment they're getting me to do something for them and also another moment closer to coming to physical, mental, and probably spiritual harm from their antics.'

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The Namazu are ridiculous little siblings that get into trouble due to foolishness, and I'm okay with fishing them out of it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

jalapeno_dude posted:

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's more of a 'these are funny fish people but I'm going to be glad when this is over because every moment I spend with them is another moment they're getting me to do something for them and also another moment closer to coming to physical, mental, and probably spiritual harm from their antics.'

Burn this thread imo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Namazu are amazing :frogout:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Namazu are the best beast tribe.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
For the first time since buying the game, I'm totally caught up on the MSQ. :toot:

Time to go grind gathering classes or something, I guess.

I had a couple questions about story stuff: (Spoilers for 4.3)

So, Shadowhunter is totally just Gaius, it's not even subtle. And Mysterious Elezen is Zenos, somehow. But someone's already using Zenos' corpse, right? The Ascian in Garlemald who manipulated Asahi. So did Zenos' ghost just...find a corpse to take? Is that a thing that's been done before in this game, being able to come back from the dead with your sanity intact? All I can really think of is Edda's shenanigans in Tam-Tara hard, and even then her attempt at necromancy didn't go too well. All the other zombies we see are completely mindless. Or am I missing something explaining how Zenos' body can be in two places at once?

Also (Heavensward Spoilers)

Primals are more or less shaped by the wishes/emotions of the summoner. Moggle Mog wasn't even really real, IIRC. So when Ga Bu summons Titan, is it the same Titan the WoL fought in the original story? Or is it a separate entity just taking the form/name of Titan?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LordHippoman posted:

Primals are more or less shaped by the wishes/emotions of the summoner. Moggle Mog wasn't even really real, IIRC. So when Ga Bu summons Titan, is it the same Titan the WoL fought in the original story? Or is it a separate entity just taking the form/name of Titan?

I'm pretty sure that summoning a primal with the intention of summoning the same primal as has appeared before will get the same primal. This is also why you can't have two Titans walking around simultaneously.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It doesn't even have to be a corpse. We saw the one sahagin just bodyjack a different sahagin outright in Leviathan.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know how you can look at such endearingly dopey fish things and think "these are things I want to spend less time with"

Reminding me that I need to finish leveling up a trade so I can do these.

I've taken up fishing, it's pretty relaxing thus far.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

orcane posted:

Namazu are amazing :frogout:

The squeak when they walk will always be adorable to me.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The Namazu are awful, but at least they aren't moogles.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Namazu are great, and what is with these awful people outing themselves in this thread?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Namazu are good and my food friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
namazu are blessed goofs