Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use this bloody mary recipe, with a few changes: I don't use avocado and I make the tomato juice from canned whole tomatoes:

quote:

Tomato juice process from here
  • Process tomatoes and their juice in a food processor.
  • Strain the puree through a coarse sieve into a non-metallic container, stirring and pushing the puree through the seive until you’re left with just seeds and about 1/4 cup of dryish pulp, which you can discard.
  • You’ll end up with a generous 2 cups of thick tomato juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have a good coconut chicken curry recipe?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dino. posted:

RE: Basmati

Tilda used to be the gold standard, but it's gone to poo poo. Look for either Kohinoor or Zeenat 1121. Avoid any brand that won't tell you how long it's been aged. Bare minimum should be aged 1 year. Avoid "sella" rice like the loving plague. That poo poo is parboiled, which means any lingering aromas have been parboiled out too. It'll smell like disappointment.

1121 rice is a strain of pusa basmati that is freakishly scary long, and very delicious. But as of now, the best on the market is Kohinoor.

Source: I literally work for a basmati rice importer.

I love how there's every type of person imaginable on this forum, this was really neat to know about. Totally changing my worldviews and am gonna try out Kohinoor.

Does anyone have super quick and simple pasta sauces? Preferably something that doesn't require onions or garlic or anything. Just purely herbs / sauces / veggies.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 19, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Q8ee posted:

Preferably something that doesn't require onions or garlic or anything.

What the gently caress is this? I mean honestly, unless you have an allergy or are a Jain, why would you prefer not to include two ingredients that are critical to enormous numbers of pasta dishes?

Edit: make carbonara

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 20, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I ordered a pizza cause I was lazy and it looks like it's somewhat undercooked. Is there any way to salvage it on my own, in the oven or something?

Edit: I feel sick after eating a slice so it's going straight to the trash.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 20, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scientastic posted:

What the gently caress is this? I mean honestly, unless you have an allergy or are a Jain, why would you prefer not to include two ingredients that are critical to enormous numbers of pasta dishes?

Edit: make carbonara

Come on, man. I want recipes for those days where I'm bone-tired and want to throw poo poo in a pan really quickly and have it done in no time. The main pasta dish I go to when I'm either broke or tired is a tuna, sweetcorn and cream pasta that my mum used to make me as a kid. It's filling, and literally takes as long as the pasta takes to boil. Requires no chopping or preparation, just throw the ingredients in and bam.

So anything that lets me throw herbs and other ready ingredients into a pan with minimal effort is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not asking for something that'll blow my tastebuds away, just something that is passable and personally recommended by people who make it in this thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's why it's worth specifying, so we can figure out what would actually work for you. You want herbs and vegetables because you don't think you'd have to chop them, but they would need chopping. You don't want garlic because you don't want to chop it, but you can buy minced garlic.

I thought you might want something with ingredients that are easy to keep on hand, so I would've recommended cacio e pepe. But that wouldn't actually work because that's a bunch of cheese to grate if you're not feeling any effort.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 20, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Q8ee posted:

Come on, man. I want recipes for those days where I'm bone-tired and want to throw poo poo in a pan really quickly and have it done in no time. The main pasta dish I go to when I'm either broke or tired is a tuna, sweetcorn and cream pasta that my mum used to make me as a kid. It's filling, and literally takes as long as the pasta takes to boil. Requires no chopping or preparation, just throw the ingredients in and bam.

So anything that lets me throw herbs and other ready ingredients into a pan with minimal effort is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not asking for something that'll blow my tastebuds away, just something that is passable and personally recommended by people who make it in this thread.

Grated parmesan, butter and grated garlic. Just grate a clove of garlic and the parm while you wait for the water to come to a boil, once the pasta is done toss it with the butter, parm & garlic and optionally some shredded prosciutto, cubed ham or diced chicken. You can skip the garlic too, it's just traditional.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pollyanna posted:

I ordered a pizza cause I was lazy and it looks like it's somewhat undercooked. Is there any way to salvage it on my own, in the oven or something?

Edit: I feel sick after eating a slice so it's going straight to the trash.

Get your money back

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There Bias Two posted:

Get your money back

I should have, but their pizzas are normally pretty good. I shouldn't be ordering out so much, anyway, I have ingredients for curry here for gods sake.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

If you want to go, you definitely should. Touristy, but it's still an experience. Just don't expect so much a sandwich as an expensive pound of very good pastrami with a couple of thin slices of very light rye. Good advice to split it, too — one-half was just about all I could eat.

Thanks all!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pollyanna posted:

I should have, but their pizzas are normally pretty good. I shouldn't be ordering out so much, anyway, I have ingredients for curry here for gods sake.

Yeah but sometimes you just need a pizza. No shame in that. But get a refund.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Oh btw, if you ask, they'll give generous samples first to help you decide between pastrami and corned beef. I personally am team corned beef.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Sometimes good restaurants do lovely pizzas. I made the mistake of ordering a pizza from a restaurant in the middle of the Saturday evening rush once, and the olives still had the stones in. It took over an hour to arrive too.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 20, 2017

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

@Oxyclean : here's some home fries goodness.

Enjoy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Q8ee posted:

My favorite low effort pasta is toasted garlic and olive oil. You can use minced garlic instead of slicing your own.

If you want really low effort just buy a good jar of sauce but simmer it for 20-30 to improve the flavor considerably.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Q8ee posted:

There are loads of things you can do that will be leagues better than resorting to “ready ingredients” and prepackaged sauce.

Make a big batch of tomato sauce in advance and freeze it in portions.

Make carbonara.

Make cheese sauce (I literally did this yesterday in the time it takes for pasta to boil while hindered by my two children) and add ham and/or vegetables.

Stirfry some brocolli with some finely shaved garlic.

Poach a salmon fillet and flake into pasta with cream and garlic.

Make fresh pesto genovese.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For Christmas the two of us ended up with a duck and no real plans or idea what to do with it. Anything from roasting it traditionally to parting it out and using it for different dishes is on the table (I could picture a very nice thai curry...). Hit a guy up with recipes and ideas and general duck guidelines?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Duck does go really well in a Thai red curry. Put some cherry tomatoes and some lychees in there too, they help with the richness of the duck.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I roasted a duck a few Christmases ago and it was great, definitely make sure you really score the skin well, the amount of fat that comes out is completely astonishing. Normally, when I roast meats, I lay them on a bed of root vegetables, which I then use in gravy, but with duck I think you probably want it on a grill tray above the roasting dish.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Q8ee posted:

Does anyone have super quick and simple pasta sauces? Preferably something that doesn't require onions or garlic or anything. Just purely herbs / sauces / veggies.

Try this? Buy minced garlic like Anne Whateley suggested, substitute garlic powder, or just skip the garlic (:italy:). Using dried herbs and canned crushed tomatoes should make the recipe even easier.

A note about tomato paste — after giving myself a very nasty cut on the sharp edge of a can of frozen tomato paste (because who ever uses it all?), I started buying tubed tomato paste. Every time I need to open a new tube for a a recipe I will, grandma style, squeeze out individual portions in cling wrap to freeze (I use a digital scale to measure out the servings in grams). You could do the same thing with a can and a spoon I guess, but tomato paste is so sticky, I'm happy to pay a little extra for the tubes. In any case, this trick helped me eliminate waste and turned tomato paste into a real pantry ingredient that's always on hand and easy to deal with.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

With Duck, I made the mistake of roasting over vegetables (just a double layer than what I would do with a chicken) and while still delicious... there was so, so much rendered fat. I'm really glad I made it in my huge-rear end dutch oven, because if I did it in my roasting pan I would've had an oven fire on my hands.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
A local supermarket had choice "New York Roasts" on sale this week for $4/lb so I grabbed a couple. I believe I can cut these down into steaks, but is there any killer strip roast recipe that I should consider instead? I have a smoker and sous vide available to me if it matters.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend it's a rib roast and make a prime rib recipe of your choosing

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd slice it into steaks. A rib roast looks cool, but I prefer a steak.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Didn't see a baking thread, so here goes.

Every cinnamon bun recipe ever has you spread brown sugar on the dough, roll the dough up, and bake. No matter which recipe I use, I've never managed to have all the sugar melt, leaving gritty sugar grains in the filling, rather than the perfectly smooth goo that the high end bakeries manage to achieve.

I assume they must make a smooth mixture ahead of time and spread it on as a paste instead of sprinkling on sugar, but I have no idea how to go about doing that, I don't do desserts much and don't even know where to start. Any thoughts? I'm not above making cinnamon flavoured corn syrup if that's what it'll take.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I brush the dough with melted butter, then sprinkle the sugar and cinammon onto that. I’ve never had an issue with the sugar not melting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kreez posted:

Didn't see a baking thread, so here goes.

Every cinnamon bun recipe ever has you spread brown sugar on the dough, roll the dough up, and bake. No matter which recipe I use, I've never managed to have all the sugar melt, leaving gritty sugar grains in the filling, rather than the perfectly smooth goo that the high end bakeries manage to achieve.

I assume they must make a smooth mixture ahead of time and spread it on as a paste instead of sprinkling on sugar, but I have no idea how to go about doing that, I don't do desserts much and don't even know where to start. Any thoughts? I'm not above making cinnamon flavoured corn syrup if that's what it'll take.

I've also never had that problem. Superfine sugar might help?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I haven't had that problem either - I mix butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon together and put that on there. Some recipes suggest melted butter, but I prefer room temperature butter for ease of spreading.

Another thought - do you have a sugar saver? They're inexpensive, basically pottery shards, that you soak in water and then store in your brown sugar container. They keep it from clumping up. If your brown sugar is clumping I can imagine it staying gritty. It's also just more pleasant to never have to break up giant sugar chunks.

E: King Arthur flour also sells cinnamon filling, if you get desperate.

Further edit: I googled their filling looking for ingredients and found other people's recipes for knockoff versions - basically it's brown sugar, cinnamon, a tiny bit of water, and clearjel, ie fancy cornstarch that's clear. So you could experiment with mixing brown sugar, cinnamon, and some cornstarch and adding water to that to get a paste.

legendof fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 21, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What do you do with a porterhouse roast? Is it even what you'd call a roast with the t-bone?

I'm cooking for my in-laws and they got that instead of prime rib because it was cheaper (yeah, 30$ CAD for a large chunk of t bone is good, but whether). I suppose I might as well treat it like prime rib?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Thanks for the cinnamon bun help. I'll keep at it and muck around some more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jan posted:

What do you do with a porterhouse roast? Is it even what you'd call a roast with the t-bone?

I'm cooking for my in-laws and they got that instead of prime rib because it was cheaper (yeah, 30$ CAD for a large chunk of t bone is good, but whether). I suppose I might as well treat it like prime rib?

Cut the tenderloin out before you roast it. One because it will finish way faster than the strip side, the other so you can take it home and eat it later.

Remove the strip from the bone and tie it up, do it in a pan with vegetables (carrots/taters/onions) for an hour max (here's where your thermapen comes in), make up a nice au jus and serve with bread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cooking with duck... some recipes I've read say to start the breast skin-side down in a cold pan so that more fat renders out, others are adamant about starting on high heat to get the best sear. Does it really make a difference?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Q8ee posted:

Come on, man. I want recipes for those days where I'm bone-tired and want to throw poo poo in a pan really quickly and have it done in no time.

Always have passata in the house.

Heat some olive oil. Grab garlic (from a tube is fine, from a bulb is better - if bulb, remove as many cloves as you like, put on the counter and bash with the flat side of a knife. Chop the top and bottoms off and voilà, peeled garlic in a few seconds! Maybe give it another bash now before putting it into the oil. Fry until it starts to smell good/go a bit golden.

Add a sprinkle of dried herbs. I like oregano best. Fry for a few seconds. Add passata. Now put your pasta on to boil. Bash some pepper (white is best, but black is fine) and salt into the sauce, taste it, season more etc until it's good. Put over the pasta.

15 minutes from start to finish, only two pots to clean, and the sauce freezes really well.

Alternatively, aglio e olio (e peperoncino). Heat oil, fry garlic, put chilli/chilli flakes in if desired. Cook pasta, put delicious oil over pasta. Grind some pepper on top. Again only really takes as long as the pasta takes to cook.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bollock Monkey posted:

Alternatively, aglio e olio (e peperoncino). Heat oil, fry garlic, put chilli/chilli flakes in if desired. Cook pasta, put delicious oil over pasta. Grind some pepper on top. Again only really takes as long as the pasta takes to cook.

This is one of my favorite pantry meals. I'd only add that it works best for me if I put a splash of pasta water in the pan with the garlic and oil at the end. This helps me swirl all the bits of garlic and pepper out of the pan when I pour the oil over the pasta, but the starchy water also helps turn the oil into more of a sauce that will stick to the pasta.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'd like to use more butter in my mashed sweet potato casserole (a whole stick instead of a half stick). Would this cause separation or make the sweet potatoes too loose?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is almost impossible to add too much butter to mashed potatoes. Just stir in a few cold chunks at a time and add more once everything is blended.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

exquisite tea posted:

It is almost impossible to add too much butter to mashed potatoes. Just stir in a few cold chunks at a time and add more once everything is blended.

For regular mashed potatoes yeah, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't different for sweet potatoes since they're more fibrous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Depends how much sweet potato we're talking about but you should pprooobably be okay

For potatoes I think the upper limit is 1 part butter to 2 parts potato, which is what the most decadent French chefs like Point or Robuchon used to do. I'm pretty sure you're not in that ballpark

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Steve Yun posted:

Depends how much sweet potato we're talking about but you should pprooobably be okay

For potatoes I think the upper limit is 1 part butter to 2 parts potato, which is what the most decadent French chefs like Point or Robuchon used to do. I'm pretty sure you're not in that ballpark

1/3rd butter? That is insane.