Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

InternetJunky posted:

build a crypto consultancy to help other people invest in crypto/block-chain.

This sounds like a perfect way to get yourself murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

jeeves posted:

This sounds like a perfect way to get yourself murdered.

I'll believe that when some moonboi kills Elon for ruining things. Right now they're all useless people, too chickenshit to stand up for whatever they believe in with actual real-world actions like committing violent crimes or starting a rebellion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

John_A_Tallon posted:

I'll believe that when some moonboi kills Elon for ruining things. Right now they're all useless people, too chickenshit to stand up for whatever they believe in with actual real-world actions like committing violent crimes or starting a rebellion.

Those billionaires like Musk, Bezos, Zuck are better protected than most world leaders so the chances of some pissed off rando running up on them is pretty drat slim.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

typing this one handed

John_A_Tallon posted:

Yeah most of the idiots I know that are into it wouldn’t do a drat thing in support of their “principles”

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 22, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lol good for them

now wait for the chorus of "government pls come save us ;_;"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

lol good for them

now wait for the chorus of "government pls come save us ;_;"

Government? You mean the men with guns wearing costumes?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

priznat posted:

Those billionaires like Musk, Bezos, Zuck are better protected than most world leaders so the chances of some pissed off rando running up on them is pretty drat slim.

The belief that they're untouchable is part of their active security measures. They are mere mortals.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

smoobles posted:

absolute king move IMHO

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A funny thing about Tether got posted elsewhere that I didn't see this in the thread and thought everybody'd get a kick out of it.

Here's a tweet that'll get you most of the thread. It's all funny.

https://twitter.com/philiproulx/status/1395437749835116549

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Complications posted:

A funny thing about Tether got posted elsewhere that I didn't see this in the thread and thought everybody'd get a kick out of it.

Here's a tweet that'll get you most of the thread. It's all funny.

https://twitter.com/philiproulx/status/1395437749835116549

Help me out here. Can you explain what any of that means? In a single post and not in a huge series of 140 character tweets?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sickening posted:

Is this what brain damage posts like?

CSPAM. Not even once.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cacafuego posted:

Help me out here. Can you explain what any of that means? In a single post and not in a huge series of 140 character tweets?

I was unaware that a dozen tweet thread was 'a huge series' or that the two tweets provided weren't pretty explicit. I apologize. In brief: Tether had to supply the NY Attorney General with 30 days of trading data, they changed their trading patterns massively in those 30 days of data they had to provide to the NY Attorney General and then went back to business as usual. The day before Tether had to log trading data they did about 30x more trading than is typical. During the thirty days of anomalously low activity Bitcoin took a massive dive in value. This raises amusing questions, but given that Elon Musk stuck his paddle into the process the data isn't entirely clear.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cacafuego posted:

Tether had to submit 30 days of trading data to the NY Attorney General. This is a problem because their normal trading involves cooking the books, so they slammed a ton of dodgy poo poo through 31 days before the filing deadline in the hopes that they'd get 30 days of clean trading that they could submit, a bit like me getting ripshit on New Year's Eve before Dry January. The big crypto crashes of the last month have been against that backdrop, giving evidence to what we've all suspected for years - that the entire crypto marketplace is underpinned by the Tether printer going brrrrrr

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Tether is the organization notable for printing off billions upon billions of dollars worth of their token, pegged to be worth $1 each forever. To justify this their organization 'does trading stuff' on the side to build capital to print more coins, allegedly.

NY attorney general is calling bullshit and apparently Tether needed to present a full month's trade sheet to NY. So Tether stopped printing for a month and this tweet hypothesizes that's the reason behind the recent crash.

E: Beaten like the red headed stepchild I am. Here, look at these worthless smart chain coins instead, it's all very stupid. https://poocoin.app/tokens/0xcf0e4dcbb1dfb23113ef53a3c7c62b4eb5a44a91

When people talk about the smart chain, they're talking about that chart copy/pasted with new names ad infinitum.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 22, 2021

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Complications posted:

I was unaware that a dozen tweet thread was 'a huge series' or that the two tweets provided weren't pretty explicit. I apologize. In brief: Tether had to supply the NY Attorney General with 30 days of trading data, they changed their trading patterns massively in those 30 days of data they had to provide to the NY Attorney General and then went back to business as usual. The day before Tether had to log trading data they did about 30x more trading than is typical. During the thirty days of anomalously low activity Bitcoin took a massive dive in value. This raises amusing questions, but given that Elon Musk stuck his paddle into the process the data isn't entirely clear.

Help me out here. Can you chew my food for me and spit it into my mouth in 12 milliliter increments? I can’t be bothered to apply the most minimal effort to do things myself, thanks in advance

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Complications posted:

Having to read through anything more than 1 tweet is annoying af. Perhaps for someone who knows more about crypto/tether would get the gist from just the 2 tweets.

Your explanation above is concise and explains everything I’d want to know. Thank you (and the other posters) for providing it.

E:

tehinternet posted:

Help me out here. Can you chew my food for me and spit it into my mouth in 12 milliliter increments? I can’t be bothered to apply the most minimal effort to do things myself, thanks in advance

^^^this guy gets it^^^

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This kind of begs the question why tether was allowed to decide which month of data they would provide. Like why doesn't the AG just ask for March data?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

Tether is the organization notable for printing off billions upon billions of dollars worth of their token, pegged to be worth $1 each forever. To justify this their organization 'does trading stuff' on the side to build capital to print more coins, allegedly.

NY attorney general is calling bullshit and apparently Tether needed to present a full month's trade sheet to NY. So Tether stopped printing for a month and this tweet hypothesizes that's the reason behind the recent crash.

E: Beaten like the red headed stepchild I am. Here, look at these worthless smart chain coins instead, it's all very stupid. https://poocoin.app/tokens/0xcf0e4dcbb1dfb23113ef53a3c7c62b4eb5a44a91

When people talk about the smart chain, they're talking about that chart copy/pasted with new names ad infinitum.

:psyduck: So this is all an Enron-style ponzi scheme?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Guys it was obv a 4d chess move and the nyag suspected they would fraud the 30 days but they wanted to see what 30 days of good behaviour did to the market and the nyag is literally a ninja all up in their poo poo and a storm is coming.

I pray to nyag every day

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Chadzok posted:

Guys it was obv a 4d chess move and the nyag suspected they would fraud the 30 days but they wanted to see what 30 days of good behaviour did to the market and the nyag is literally a ninja all up in their poo poo and a storm is coming.

I pray to nyag every day

inshallah

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm willing to bet the Enron guys are jealous of many of the *coin scams going around right now.

Like this one, some guy just ran off with $30m, and there's a near 0 chance much if any of that ever comes back to the bagholders.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 22, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what actually is DeFi100

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

poverty goat posted:

what actually is DeFi100

The same thing Bitconnect was

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Defi100 is:

The First Synthetic Asset On Binance Smart Chain, Pegged To The Total Defi Market Cap.

Defi is:

A collective term for financial products and services that are accessible to anyone who can use Ethereum – anyone with an internet connection. With DeFi, ..

Essentially, I think, we're talking about a coin pegged to the the sum market cap of all of those previously mentioned smart chain coins.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
please stop theres only so much you can :munch: before you develop diabetes

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

poverty goat posted:

what actually is DeFi100

Get in on the ground floor! Send us money and you'll definitely* be a millionaire next week!

* lol bye idiot

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Fame Douglas posted:

With the smartest being the coiners, obviously. Do you want a free copy of The Blockchain and talk about virtual currency with me?

Strange. The only way to win is not to play.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

a worthy runner-up to "penis"

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Sweet. I thought this kind of thing only happened in Eve Online.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Raygereio posted:

:psyduck: So this is all an Enron-style ponzi scheme?
Enron wasn't a Ponzi scheme and neither is Tether. (Ponzi schemes pay out for a while.) However both appear to involve the use of a SPE (sock puppet entity) to absorb losses.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fingers crossed that this was just opening the floodgates for a golden age of exit scams.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Fingers crossed that this was just opening the floodgates for a golden age of exit scams.

Diamond age. Can't forget about all those hands.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mad Dragon posted:

|Number| go up

:boom:
I hate to admit publicly when a Goddamn math joke makes me laugh.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Liquid Communism posted:

I see coinbase learned from the masters at MtGox.

There was only one “master” at MtGox:
Tibanne. :catdrugs:

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Diamond age.

Talk about a poo poo future caused by crypto!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

InternetJunky posted:

She had canned answers for all my well-researched objections -- it was kind of scary actually.

just shitpost with your mouth

"ELON BASED LOL"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

nomad2020 posted:

Defi100 is:

The First Synthetic Asset On Binance Smart Chain, Pegged To The Total Defi Market Cap.

Defi is:

A collective term for financial products and services that are accessible to anyone who can use Ethereum – anyone with an internet connection. With DeFi, ..

Essentially, I think, we're talking about a coin pegged to the the sum market cap of all of those previously mentioned smart chain coins.

oh it's pegging alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mad Dragon posted:

|Number| go up

got a sensible chuckle from this