Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

$10 skins are really common for MOBA cash shops and similar. I think I bought a $15 one in LoL once?

Also unlocks, especially timed ones like that do show up over here in a lot of Asian f2p MMO imports and stuff. Not that Quake Champions is going to follow those examples, but they do exist.

The interesting thing about selling cosmetics in this case is that so much Quake was played with the graphics turned down for minute advantage. Is selling skins going to work when player textures are turned off?

Yeah but this isn't a MOBA and also everything about this is conjecture based off of ridiculous fears

Member when you kept insisting up and down that Quake Champions was going to be an Overwatch clone? Oooh I member except now instead of ripping of Blizzard id is going to rip off of Riot or whatever the gently caress because that's the scarier scenario here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Has anyone found the secret portal in the hub of Arcane Dimensions 1.5? It asks if you've found all the runes, though I've yet to see any after playing most of the levels. How many runes are there, exactly?

Segmentation Fault posted:

I really doubt they'd sell a single skin for a single character at $10, this is one of those weird hyperbolic arguments that people who get incredibly angry at the concept of optional additional things for video games make

Tribes: Ascend did it.

There's also something to be said about the ethical implications of digital asset gambling "preying" on the whales that reinforce that sort of pricing model, but this tangent is stupid and pointless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

treat posted:

Has anyone found the secret portal in the hub of Arcane Dimensions 1.5? It asks if you've found all the runes, though I've yet to see any after playing most of the levels. How many runes are there, exactly?

No idea, but I'm having the feeling the maps are full of secrets. Yesterday I completed one without even taking the silver key. That was suspicious...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

There is also absolutely zero gameplay content locked behind skin DLC and some people really like it. If you don't care about skins or don't feel like buying into something so blatantly mercantile then loving don't and shut up about it. You're missing absolutely nothing if you vote with your wallet.

Yes but why don't you tell us how you really feel :stare:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

treat posted:

gently caress, there's another secret portal?

Going from the main AD hub you can get four runes to unlock the end/credits level (Crucial Error, Foggy Bogbottom, Firetop Mountain, and Obsessive Brick Disorder each have one) and it's not like Quake can tell where you got runes from. So I'd probably run through those maps (very thoroughly. If you've never gotten the rune before on Foggy Bogbottom it's going to take you like an hour) and then test it out, because I don't think the 1.5 maps have runes at all.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

treat posted:

Tribes: Ascend did it.

There's also something to be said about the ethical implications of digital asset gambling "preying" on the whales that reinforce that sort of pricing model, but this tangent is stupid and pointless.

yeah but it's getting supersceded by that one Kickstarter game so I don't think we gotta worry about Tribes Ascend anymore, Massive pile of garbage that it is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes, there's no secret exit in the "Chapters" map.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfMpG3RW_kU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Someone redid Tecman's Blood launcher: http://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-super-pack

There's also another launcher: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287113746/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

skasion posted:

gently caress, there's another secret portal?

Going from the main AD hub you can get four runes to unlock the end/credits level (Crucial Error, Foggy Bogbottom, Firetop Mountain, and Obsessive Brick Disorder each have one) and it's not like Quake can tell where you got runes from. So I'd probably run through those maps (very thoroughly. If you've never gotten the rune before on Foggy Bogbottom it's going to take you like an hour) and then test it out, because I don't think the 1.5 maps have runes at all.

Sorry, I got mixed up. The portal I was referring to was in the main hub. I intended to also ask if anyone had found a way to unlock the nightmare difficulty in the AD 1.5 hub or if it's intended to be selected from the main hub only?

treat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 19, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

yeah but it's getting supersceded by that one Kickstarter game so I don't think we gotta worry about Tribes Ascend anymore, Massive pile of garbage that it is.

Which one's that? I remember several kickstarter quake/tribe-alikes that got funded but I can't remember any of their names.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I'm in the mood for some Wolfenstein. Any good remakes of it? What are there for good level packs? Any wads that add a lot to the formula but keeps the spirit of the game?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

khwarezm posted:

Which one's that? I remember several kickstarter quake/tribe-alikes that got funded but I can't remember any of their names.

Midair, a game that seems to actually 'get' the whole tribes fun. they're still in pre-alpha but the game's in a good enough state that they even held a proper tournament with the players.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mutant Standard posted:

I'm in the mood for some Wolfenstein. Any good remakes of it? What are there for good level packs? Any wads that add a lot to the formula but keeps the spirit of the game?

I've been playing Coffee Break not too long ago. Fun as balls!

Spear Resurrection is a nice classic. Blew my socks off back in the day, especially its sequel, End of Destiny. Features untermensch soldiers made out of poop.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

By the way, a patch for Arcane Dimensions 1.5 was released today.

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/810575969408925696

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I assume you're already aware, but the new Wolfenstein is pretty balls out fantastic, and doesn't get nearly enough love. Pretty much the perfect marriage of old and new, outside of Doom.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mutant Standard posted:

This is great

http://boa.realm667.com/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Negrostrike posted:

I've been playing Coffee Break not too long ago. Fun as balls!

Some of those sound effects sound like ones out of Blake Stone.

(I'm not complaining :) )

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wolfenstein as a series has a pretty solid track record. Each entry has its own unique gameplay elements, but they're all fun to play.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm getting back into Wolf too. With the exception of spear of destiny, everything about wolf is just good shooty fun.

RTCW is still one of my favorite wolf games but with ecWolf, I got the chance of really appreciating original Wolfenstein.

I hope these work better than the original launcher. I never enjoyed messing around with and just played the game regularly.

Has anyone managed to find the Blood source in the dumpster of the current owners yet? I really doubt they even know what they own, whoever they are.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 19, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
uh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

uncleKitchener posted:

Has anyone managed to find the Blood source in the dumpster of the current owners yet? I really doubt they even know what they own, whoever they are.

Jace Hall has it but Warner Bros won't let him release it or develop a source port. Also Devolver Digital tried to purchase the IP but gave up as it was way too expensive.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Convex posted:

Jace Hall has it but Warner Bros won't let him release it or develop a source port. Also Devolver Digital tried to purchase the IP but gave up as it was way too expensive.

whyyyyyy stop being dicks already

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

whyyyyyy stop being dicks already

Warner Bros. probably thinks they can make a movie out of it, it's the only possible reason for not giving up the IP. Aside from standard corporate obstinance of course.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

What was this? I want to know what this was

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

What was this? I want to know what this was

Something about Anita Sarkeesian, Tribes servers and accusing someone of being a transphobic paedophile

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Convex posted:

Something about Anita Sarkeesian, Tribes servers and accusing someone of being a transphobic paedophile

In other words, Dare wasting :10bux: for like the 500th time?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Convex posted:

a retard posted:

In other words, Dare wasting :10bux: for like the 500th time?

Oh, that weirdo from Tribal War!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I've been poking around a bit, and... what, exactly, are the technical hurdles for a split-screen Doom port? It seems like port devs are adamantly against adding it, and "it'd be a huge undertaking" is the most commonly cited reason, but I'm a little confused as to what makes it such a huge deal. It honestly seems like the biggest problem would be decent controller support, assuming zdoom was used as a starting point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I've been poking around a bit, and... what, exactly, are the technical hurdles for a split-screen Doom port? It seems like port devs are adamantly against adding it, and "it'd be a huge undertaking" is the most commonly cited reason, but I'm a little confused as to what makes it such a huge deal. It honestly seems like the biggest problem would be decent controller support, assuming zdoom was used as a starting point.

The engine isn't designed around it at all, both in rendering and player input. And other engines a lot of code got borrowed from in popular extended source ports (like Quake) also don't have good support for it. The Doom design is pretty heavily built around multiplayer being via multiple servers of the game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not entirely sure. AFAIK Doom Legacy had it back in the mid-2000s, when I first tried Doom out.

Of course, Legacy's also kind of used by nobody in particular, and I'm not even sure it's still actively being developed, but it had it!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Convex posted:

What sort of money can you make with something that is almost two decades old with old dated horror references?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Doom is written to assume it has a "consoleplayer" (using console in the network sense, not the Nintendo sense). With split-screen you have several "consoleplayers", so you need to rework entirely all of how Doom handles players.

It's possible but it's quite niche in our days of everyone having several Internet-enabled things around and most developers prefer to work on other things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Not entirely sure. AFAIK Doom Legacy had it back in the mid-2000s, when I first tried Doom out.

Of course, Legacy's also kind of used by nobody in particular, and I'm not even sure it's still actively being developed, but it had it!

Yeah I remember playing it that way with my brother. The problem was it'd crash out constantly, at least on our machine.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah if you just want something that can play Boom compatible wads with split screen Doom Legacy has your back. If you want to do that with modern mods you're out of luck.

And I don't know what the hold up is either. If the engine is so geared towards networked multiplayer, what's stopping them from running multiple instances of the game and hooking them up like a LAN? It's not like ZDoom is so resource intensive that this would be infeasible. I think the developers who are still around today just don't care about the feature enough to clear whatever the actual hurdles are, regardless of how minor they might be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lork posted:

And I don't know what the hold up is either. If the engine is so networked multiplayer, what's stopping them from running multiple instances of the game and hooking them up like a LAN?

This is how the version of Doom that came with Doom 3 on Xbox did it so it's definitely possible.

quote:

I think the developers who are still around today just don't care about the feature enough to clear whatever the actual hurdles are, regardless of how minor they might be.

Yeah, it's definitely this. It wouldn't be "fun" to work on, and there's very little demand for it. The console dev just paid someone but the open source/classic gaming community probably won't do the same.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ZDoom is a pretty bad starting point for anything involving invasive changes. Eternity on the other hand is not only a good starting point, it's already started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UtKlDm2iRQ

Not much of a hurdle at all with the classic engines, it requires sifting through the globals and finding what needs to be turned into player specific structures, redirecting input into the correct network command frames (Doom's netcode is a strangely good backbone for splitscreen), and then resizing the frame and drawing n sets (requires a hardware blitter like OpenGL if you want to keep the unique palette changes). It took me an hour a day for a week to bring it up to fully playable form.

haveblue posted:

This is how the version of Doom that came with Doom 3 on Xbox did it so it's definitely possible.

Fun fact, the Xbox/XBLA/BFG Doom port does splitscreen by first moving every global variable into a master class container, and then creating up to 4 different objects of that class for each instance, then uses the actual network backend to route input between each instance. You are actually simulating 4 different Doom sessions at once.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 20, 2016

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
The developers of ZDoom are also pretty hostile to work with from what I've heard. They'd reject split screen entirely on the basis of being un-Doomy and go back to working on recreating decorate in doomscript or whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rocket Pan posted:

ZDoom is a pretty bad starting point for anything involving invasive changes. Eternity on the other hand is not only a good starting point, it's already started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UtKlDm2iRQ

Not much of a hurdle at all with the classic engines, it requires sifting through the globals and finding what needs to be turned into player specific structures, redirecting input into the correct network command frames (Doom's netcode is a strangely good backbone for splitscreen), and then resizing the frame and drawing n sets (requires a hardware blitter like OpenGL if you want to keep the unique palette changes). It took me an hour a day for a week to bring it up to fully playable form.

Haha what did you do to bradharding to get him so mad.