Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

In action I really can't tell much difference between 50 and 60. This article does a good job of explaining why the NTSC standards are still holding over a lot of weird legacy crap from the 50s and before: http://broadcastengineering.com/news/whats-difference-between-5994fps-and-60fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
PAL IS THE SUPERIOR FORMAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1CW8Da8i1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlIr-MaJxg8

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 14, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Lower framerate but higher resolution. Colours are handled much better in PAL than in NTSC.

IMO PAL is superior mainly because it was designed with colour in mind whereas NTSC had it hacked in.

This is one of those "on paper" things that falls apart in real-world use due to a considerable lack of PAL-aimed content, and it's different in all of the worst possible ways for any sort of clean content conversion. If the content you're watching/playing isn't made in Britain/Australia/New Zealand specifically for TV it will be bad in PAL land, for one or more of the following reasons:

- Black bars and screwy aspect ratio (common with video game content)
- Ghosting due to frame rate conversion
- Sped up content (for original film content, usually not noticeable but really annoying for certain actors' voices, and popular music when used in movies)
- Slowed down content (video games mainly, see the videos in the previous post)

It's pretty much a mess for gaming purposes due to basically all video games in the retro days being made either in Japan or the States.

PAL is the way to go if you're watching Top Gear and Attenborough stuff (I think, might vary for the newer HD Attenborough stuff), and PAL is actually the best format for a theoretical HDR-ish release of the Hobbit (it'd be in 1080i sped up to 50fps), but for everything else NTSC is best if you have a say in the matter.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Stoomie posted:

I owned a lot of consoles and games from Atari forward as a kid, but unfortunately I'm starting from scratch now.

For someone starting from scratch (like I did), I strongly recommend flashcarts if you don't intend to be a collector of the real games.
Its usually a favorable price vs buying games -and- gets you the bonus ability to play romhacks and translations on real console without finding or making reproductions.

Its especially favorable for the SNES, where less than a half-dozen of the most popular games would easily cost more than the SD2SNES.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

This is one of those "on paper" things that falls apart in real-world use due to a considerable lack of PAL-aimed content, and it's different in all of the worst possible ways for any sort of clean content conversion. If the content you're watching/playing isn't made in Britain/Australia/New Zealand specifically for TV it will be bad in PAL land, for one or more of the following reasons:

- Black bars and screwy aspect ratio (common with video game content)
- Ghosting due to frame rate conversion
- Sped up content (for original film content, usually not noticeable but really annoying for certain actors' voices, and popular music when used in movies)
- Slowed down content (video games mainly, see the videos in the previous post)

It's pretty much a mess for gaming purposes due to basically all video games in the retro days being made either in Japan or the States.

PAL is the way to go if you're watching Top Gear and Attenborough stuff (I think, might vary for the newer HD Attenborough stuff), and PAL is actually the best format for a theoretical HDR-ish release of the Hobbit (it'd be in 1080i sped up to 50fps), but for everything else NTSC is best if you have a say in the matter.

Yeah. I am not advocating the use of PAL here either. I live in an NTSC region and find PAL to be a bit strange to look at. :)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dross posted:

In action I really can't tell much difference between 50 and 60. This article does a good job of explaining why the NTSC standards are still holding over a lot of weird legacy crap from the 50s and before: http://broadcastengineering.com/news/whats-difference-between-5994fps-and-60fps

It gets even weirder when game consoles get involved as some ran at not-quite-standard timings that were still close enough to work. The NES and Famicom ran at 60.098Hz while the PAL NES ran at 53.355Hz, the NTSC SNES/SFC ran at 60.098476Hz while the PAL version ran at 49.85Hz, the PC-Engine/TG16 ran at 59.92Hz and the NTSC 2600 ran at 59.922Hz while the PAL version ran at 49.86Hz.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 14, 2013

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
Was the Dreamcast the first PAL console that didn't have the top/bottom black bars then?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Baron FU posted:

Was the Dreamcast the first PAL console that didn't have the top/bottom black bars then?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, if true, this is due to the fact that it was able to output VGA, which is a global standard.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Oh man I'm spurtin. Just won 24 EPROMs that are perfect for SNES repros dirt cheap. Normally these are $10/pop! Now I need to make a mask rom pcb for these to make life easier and not a wired mess.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

Oh man I'm spurtin. Just won 24 EPROMs that are perfect for SNES repros dirt cheap. Normally these are $10/pop! Now I need to make a mask rom pcb for these to make life easier and not a wired mess.

For how much, and where? Ebay? 29f032?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, after getting a package in the mail today, I learned that SOS and SOS-Sink or Swim are two very different snes games.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ambitious Spider posted:

So, after getting a package in the mail today, I learned that SOS and SOS-Sink or Swim are two very different snes games.

You got Titus'd :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ambitious Spider posted:

Even the spergy ROM dudes couldn't keep that one straight. So many times did I open up ZSNES to play my favorite Titanic-esque game with Flashback-esque controls only to be let down in a big big way.

zenintrude posted:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fatpat268 posted:

For how much, and where? Ebay? 29f032?

$30 with shipping :D

Yup, all 29F032

After I amass another cache like this I'll let the cat out of the bag on how to get them.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

flyboi posted:

$30 with shipping :D

Yup, all 29F032

After I amass another cache like this I'll let the cat out of the bag on how to get them.

That and a full guide on reproductions would be splendid I mean you can piece it together through much googlefu but why not share :)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wouldn't mind just converting some of the SFC games I have over to English. I prefer the look of SFC carts and the art is generally better.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sexy Slippers posted:

That and a full guide on reproductions would be splendid I mean you can piece it together through much googlefu but why not share :)

I'm not posting a full-on guide because a lot of people frown on reproductions and really, due to all the gotchas that involve with reproduction it really isn't a "SET IT: FORGET IT" kind of deal. I'm mostly doing it for personal enjoyment and I'd rather not contribute to the mass amount of bullshit that is counterfeit cartridge/boxes infesting ebay.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

flyboi posted:

Famicom Wars is MMC4 and only 3 games ever used it. To reproduce it would be troublesome without editing the game which even still would be a PITA.

Why is this? Some of the carts that used it are dirt cheap, so they should be able to reuse those chips. Given the price of repro carts and the way a lot of them are made, this should be simple.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Kinda like when I got the SNES port of Prince of Persia 2 based on my fond memories of the PC version. I had more fun playing Superman 64 than that poo poo.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Keyboard Kid posted:

Why is this? Some of the carts that used it are dirt cheap, so they should be able to reuse those chips. Given the price of repro carts and the way a lot of them are made, this should be simple.

MMC4 was used by 3 games only - two fire emblem games and famicom wars. Not anywhere near as abundant as the other mappers and even still a donor cart will be ~$20, EPROMs ~$20 and if you're wanting to marry it for a US Nintendo a pin converter as well for ~$10 unless you're just going to use an external adapter. I mean, it's doable but I don't care to put the money forward to do such a thing as I don't have a nintendo or an interest in reproducing Nintendo cartridges.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

I'm not posting a full-on guide because a lot of people frown on reproductions and really, due to all the gotchas that involve with reproduction it really isn't a "SET IT: FORGET IT" kind of deal. I'm mostly doing it for personal enjoyment and I'd rather not contribute to the mass amount of bullshit that is counterfeit cartridge/boxes infesting ebay.

I fully understand, actually.

But yea, that's my main goal, to not pay the stupid prices certain games fetch on ebay. I already own a ton of SFC games like Chrono Trigger, Mother 2, FFV, Bahamut Lagoon... but they're all worthless to me unless they're in English. So some day, I plan on replacing the rom with an Englsh version.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

fatpat268 posted:

But yea, that's my main goal, to not pay the stupid prices certain games fetch on ebay. I already own a ton of SFC games like Chrono Trigger, Mother 2, FFV, Bahamut Lagoon... but they're all worthless to me unless they're in English. So some day, I plan on replacing the rom with an Englsh version.
Ditto.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

Everdrive 64 Owners there's an update out today! v1.29

you can find it here

Changelog posted:

1)Allows to load/save controller pak to file. Please use any .mpk file and c-down button. It works only if controller pak plugged into joy port1. /ED64/dummy.mpk file can be used for exchange
2)Ability to force default save type
3)Ability to force M-PAL TV mode. Not sure if it work properly, cuz i don't have PAL-M system for tests
4)Os can run Banjo-Tooie U without manual patching

The controller pak backups sound pretty awesome!

fatpat268 posted:

Here's a guide on how to do Mother 2 to Earthbound it's like I said the info is out there we'll just all have to use our googlefu to pull something together!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
However, with the coming SD2SNES I've got a new project thanks to something I found on youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAg2T7d6uU

From what I've read adding in MSU-1 music playback is pretty simplistic, you find the routine where the music is loaded from an op code and modify it to check if the MSU-1 exists. If exists, pass there if not play normally. So in my infinite boredom and limited freetime I figured hey, why not do this to Chrono Trigger! :getin:

Probably won't be done with it for a looooong time but this will be a fun little project.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

However, with the coming SD2SNES I've got a new project thanks to something I found on youtube -

From what I've read adding in MSU-1 music playback is pretty simplistic, you find the routine where the music is loaded from an op code and modify it to check if the MSU-1 exists. If exists, pass there if not play normally. So in my infinite boredom and limited freetime I figured hey, why not do this to Chrono Trigger! :getin:

Probably won't be done with it for a looooong time but this will be a fun little project.

I think some is actually working on Chrono Trigger and adding the PS1 cutscenes.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I noticed the prices of PSO for the GC are starting to increase but didn't they come with a one time use CD key? How would I go about and buying a copy of the game?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

horchata posted:

I noticed the prices of PSO for the GC are starting to increase but didn't they come with a one time use CD key?

The official servers are long gone, so that doesn't matter really. You don't need a Hunter's License for private servers.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fatpat268 posted:

I think some is actually working on Chrono Trigger and adding the PS1 cutscenes.

They added the intro as a proof of concept. Unfortunately adding fmv in is tedious compared to just audio so I'll be amazed if they continue.

I'm not sure if I'll do chrono trigger as there's no real orchestral remake of all tracks, maybe ff6 or idk

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Does anyone have a suggestion one way or the other where to buy an everdrive64 from? The two places I'm considering are stoneagegamer and retrogate. Have people had good experiences with either in the past?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

flyboi posted:

As mentioned, someone's already doing Chrono Trigger. You should make Final Fantasy 4 with the FF4 Celtic Moon album instead :haw:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

take_it_slow posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion one way or the other where to buy an everdrive64 from? The two places I'm considering are stoneagegamer and retrogate. Have people had good experiences with either in the past?

Kitsch-bent has them, but only with a PAL CIC, unfortunately.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

flyboi posted:

I'm not sure if I'll do chrono trigger as there's no real orchestral remake of all tracks

PFFT. Just replace as many of them as possible with their Brink of Time equivalents.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

take_it_slow posted:

Retrogate is krikzz's online shop so it's fine. It just takes a while to show up because it ships from Ukraine.

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES
So I just discovered this thread after playing a lot of ROMs on my computer recently. I had no idea that they made flash carts for the SNES, and I'm very interested in picking one up now. My only question is what's the big difference between the SD2SNES and the Super Everdrive? Is it really just the CD ports and the potential for online play? (both of which I don't really care about and would rather save $100 if that's the case)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A year from now, if SA1 and SuperFX chip games work on the sd2snes, then that 100$ might be worth it. As it stands though, I don't think it is.

Worst case scenario I'll sell the everdrive I just bought locally and use the proceeds to buy the sd2snes when chip support is added.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stoomie posted:

I've been in a general funk about what to play of late, and found myself with an itch to play some Final Fantasy 6, which led me here seeking information about the "right" way to emulate.

This of course convinced me that I do not, in fact, want to emulate, and catch the retro collecting bug. I owned a lot of consoles and games from Atari forward as a kid, but unfortunately I'm starting from scratch now.

On the bright side, I've got this 250 pound behemoth sitting in my living room: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/KD36FS130_mksp.pdf

EDIT: My mistake, it appears that it's actually a 216 lbs, 15 oz behemoth.

Man that is my exact TV, the one that my Sega CD viciously murdered. Treat it well, you never know when it'll go. :smith:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kerm posted:

So I just discovered this thread after playing a lot of ROMs on my computer recently. I had no idea that they made flash carts for the SNES, and I'm very interested in picking one up now. My only question is what's the big difference between the SD2SNES and the Super Everdrive? Is it really just the CD ports and the potential for online play? (both of which I don't really care about and would rather save $100 if that's the case)

I can see you read the OP... and regardless of what it says, I generally will recommend the Super Everdrive instead. It's half the price, and will play 98% of SNES games. I made that number up, but the truth is, the games that are worthwhile that you can't play is very small, and not much different than the SD2SNES.

Yes, the SD2SNES includes support for the MSU-1 for hypothetical support of "cd games," but the truth of it is, it doesn't matter until there's content to take advantage of it yet. There's been one game ported (Super Road Blaster) and a couple of demos, but that's it so far.

IMO, the real draw of the SD2SNES is potential support for the SuperFX and eventually SA-1. SuperFX games include Yoshi's Island and Star Fox, but support for Super FX will allow you to finally play Star Fox 2 in english on real hardware without resorting to an expensive repro. It'll also allow Yoshi's Island hacks on hardware as well. The big games that support SA-1 are Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star and Kirby Dream Land 3. All of this is being worked on, but there's no guarantee of support in the future. That is important.

The SD2SNES loads roms faster as well (nearly instant), while there is a slight load time on the Everdrive. And online play? No. Never. Won't happen.

So, in general, unless you specifically want what I mentioned, save yourself $100 and just get the Super Everdrive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

I know. I get my hopes up every time I see SOS for just a moment before I realize it's Sink or Swim.

Speaking of packages, I just got a package today from the mysterious east:

Going from top to bottom, right to left as is the only correct way to review the contents of Japanese packages...

• Yoshi's Island
  • Kamaitachi no Yoru
  • Gegege no Kitaro
  • Super Gussun Oyoyo
  • Antarctic Adventure
  • Super Monkey Adventures
  • F1-Race
  • Seikima II :rock:
  • Star Wars (the crazy one that never came out in the US)
  • Tokimeki Memorial
  • Densha de Go!
  • Densha de Go! 64
  • Child Rearing Quiz
  • Michigan: Report From Hell
  • Pac-Land
  • Game Center CX DVD Set 9

Not a bad haul, I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Sexy Slippers posted:

Retrogate is krikzz's online shop so it's fine. It just takes a while to show up because it ships from Ukraine.

Thanks for the advice. On a totally unrelated note, I'm selling some N64 games on SA-Mart.

Edit: Discount for retro threaders, natch.

take_it_slow fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 15, 2013

• Locked thread