Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I like every faction in WM and Hordes...except Retribution. They just don't seem to fit in with with the style of the setting at all. They look like they were designed by Apple. It drove me loving nuts the other day when the army in a box deal came out for 60 bucks and they were the ones featured. Almost bought it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ret only looks like they have iJacks when you paint them glossy white.

Hnnnggggg

Charcoal should have been the primary color for the default scheme for Ret, not glossy white. Even the entire idea of glossy white deathmachines being stupid in the first place, the electric blue highlights pop so much better against a dark background.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2015

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Magres posted:

Ret only looks like they have iJacks when you paint them glossy white.

Hnnnggggg

Charcoal should have been the primary color for the default scheme for Ret, not glossy white. Even the entire idea of glossy white deathmachines being stupid in the first place, the electric blue highlights pop so much better against a dark background.

I don't have any pictures handy, but they also look real nice in gold.

Or, just make em look like Protoss:

I personally like the white, but most people do not. The good news is that they look great in just about any other color. I am super glad they have not poo poo sculptors making the most recent jacks. Imperatus/Moros make every other heavy look like total garbage (lookin at you, Manticore)

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CaptCommy posted:

I don't have any pictures handy, but they also look real nice in gold.

Or, just make em look like Protoss:

I personally like the white, but most people do not. The good news is that they look great in just about any other color. I am super glad they have not poo poo sculptors making the most recent jacks. Imperatus/Moros make every other heavy look like total garbage (lookin at you, Manticore)

Pylons! As far as the eye can see!

Seriously though, these look v cool

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

albany academy posted:

Pylons! As far as the eye can see!

Seriously though, these look v cool

The "Show us your Scyrah" thread on the PP boards is actually a super good place to get inspiration. It's one of the few threads on those boards that I legit love. Look at this stuff!

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?167780-Show-us-your-Scyrah!/page17

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Was it Serotonin who made a cool black/red Ret army?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PV, post minty fresh Ret mans, tia.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The Prime Axiom tipping it's tiny top hat is probably my favorite conversion of all time.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

fnordcircle posted:

The Prime Axiom tipping it's tiny top hat is probably my favorite conversion of all time.

Gaspy also looks like he needs a top hat. He already has the monocle.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh my god that red and black imperatus looks so stupidly good

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nearly finished the two bonejacks, just need to base them and do the glowing highlights on the side. Also there is my undercoated PDenny, I did her body last night, just the speararm and basing left and my force will be totally painted for the tournament this Sunday that I can no longer make thanks to other unavoidable committments shifting. :(

That said though, I'm really glad I started painting again. Though a half painted unit of bane thralls is still staring at me begrudgingly.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Magres posted:

Your Convergence gives me the willies :stare:

That Prime Axiom is so creepy in the best way

Yes these are amazing, I love the syntherion!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
So Santa's Cryx battlebox arrived in the mail and I have two questions, what kinda of glue do I need for these things? Both loctite and testors don't seem to be completely drying. Also for some reason the box had two Slayers instead of a Defiler. Whats up with that?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Yadoppsi posted:

So Santa's Cryx battlebox arrived in the mail and I have two questions, what kinda of glue do I need for these things? Both loctite and testors don't seem to be completely drying. Also for some reason the box had two Slayers instead of a Defiler. Whats up with that?

Two Slayers instead of a Defiler is a mispack. Give Privateer Press an email through http://mispack.privateerpress.com/ and they will get it sorted out for you. Their customer service has been really great in experience whenever something's been missing or incorrect in a box.

On the upside, you've probably got yourself a free slayer. Get the Malice or Erebus upgrade kit since you probably don't want more than 1 bare slayer.

I use superglue for assembly.

EDIT: Battlebox doesn't come with the harpoon you need for Malice.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 17, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Superglue is all you really need, though green stuff can be nice, as can a pin vice and some paperclips for pinning

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pierzak posted:

Was it Serotonin who made a cool black/red Ret army?

Well very dark grey yes. Sadly my painting is on hold as I was very ill last month and ended up in intensive care due to a Strep throat giving me sepsis and compartment syndrome in my right arm. Almost lost the arm ( and my life) and while I am so much better now the surgery to stop my arm falling off has left my right hand not working ( it's expected to regain full function but I am having daily rehab on it all day!) so I'm unable to paint and so far I haven't braved playing Warma one handed. 😞

Have a WIP of my eVyros list.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 17, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I've been working on a bunch of Cryx lately, including a Denny2. I feel like I'm going to come back to this Denny mold again some day and do a better job on it when my skills are better, but this mold leaves a lot to be desired in terms of assembly. I could've probably done a lot better for it than what I did wind up doing.

There's just no good place to put this buttcape that makes it look right without breaking out a pin vice or something.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, serotonin. Best wishes for a full recovery man!

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
YES! RET PAINTING!

I've been agonizing for weeks now on how I want to paint my Ret. I've settled on a charcoal gray for base and I think I'm going to use purple in place of where teal is used. The only thing I'm kind of hung up on is a third color for cloth/leather and stuff. I'm torn between dark green, navy blue, or just black.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

Holy poo poo, serotonin. Best wishes for a full recovery man!

:agreed:

Get better Serotonin!

(I originally wrote "get better dude" and my phone tried to autocorrect it to "get better die" :stare:)

If you want to play some Vassal games, if that'd be any easier, I'll totally go download it and we can stumble through it together and figure that out.

Magres fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 17, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Serotonin posted:

Well very dark grey yes. Sadly my painting is on hold as I was very ill last month and ended up in intensive care due to a Strep throat giving me sepsis and compartment syndrome in my right arm. Almost lost the arm ( and my life) and while I am so much better now the surgery to stop my arm falling off has left my right hand not working ( it's expected to regain full function but I am having daily rehab on it all day!) so I'm unable to paint and so far I haven't braved playing Warma one handed. 😞

Have a WIP of my eVyros list.

Jesus gently caress. I guess there's not much else to say other than I look forward to a full recovery, man. Glad to hear things are getting better.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Holy poo poo Serotonin that's terrifying. Hope you're back to full speed really soon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

AttackBacon posted:

The one thing to watch out for is that Denny1 (aka pDenny, the first version of Deneghra) can be a really brutal caster to go up against. She just has a particularly nasty suite of debuffs that when all used in concert can really shut down your opponent to the degree that it can be unfun for new players that have no idea how to deal with it (basically you just kill her dead, she is very vulnerable to death). Morghoul1, the Skorne battlebox caster, is a very powerful warlock in his own right (one of the better bbox casters actually due to how good he is with beasts), but Denny1's particular specialty is making all your opponent's stuff useless, which can be unfun for a learner. It should be fine since you're both learning and you presumably won't relentlessly stomp him into the ground, being a good father and all. Or maybe a brutal savaging is what he needs to learn the way of the world, I don't know, you're the parent!

If you want to expand out a bit I highly recommend grabbing a new set of casters right off the bat. For a relatively small upfront cost in $$ you basically completely change up how the game plays. I would particularly recommend Asphyxious1 (Iron Lich Asphyxious), Asphyxious3 (Asphyxious the Hellbringer), and Lord Exhumator Scaverous, they're all strong but fair casters that bring a really balanced playstyle and are fun to play as well as fun to play against. For Skorne you can't go wrong with Xerxis (either incarnation of him), Master Ascetic Naaresh, or really any of the Makedas (although Makeda1, aka Archdomina Makeda, isn't very good in battlebox games).

I wrote some articles about start Warmachine/Hordes as well as Cryx and Skorne specifically (Cryx and Skorne being my two starting factions), they're all in the OP. The Cryx and Skorne specific posts are a little dated now, but they are still fairly accurate about the models discussed. The general rule with all the new stuff that's come out since then is that it's pretty balanced for both factions. Skorne has been getting consistently good to great releases while Cryx has been getting a mixed bag of average to good stuff, but Cryx had a lot of really amazing things already so it balances out quite well.

Perfect, thanks for the advice! Skorne and Cryx battleboxes are on the way and should be here by the time my wife and son get back from vacation; we skyped last night for a bit and my son asked, "So... is anything coming in the mail for when I get back?" I didn't say anything, just did :smug: with eyebrow raises. His eyes got big and he did the same.

Mom has no clue.

Re: learning to play: we generally play nice, but if my kiddo smells blood in the water all bets are off. The last time he crushed me at Pokemon, he had his winning turn, jumped up, threw his cards down and went, "Oh yeah, in yo FAAAAAAACE!"

And Serotonin, holy crap! Glad to hear you're starting to recover. Definitely kill it with the PT and get that hand back to full strength. [/nursebrain]

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 17, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Wow serotonin that's crazy poo poo. Get better soon buddy!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Serotonin missing the opportunity to go Hayley2 up here. On the plus side, you're not dead. Glad to hear it and your Ret models look amazing. I hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back to that amazing painting.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I have my Skorne assembled, and am trying to decide on a paint scheme. I'm not crazy about the red and gold. I'm not crazy about red in general.

I was thinking maybe a black and gold like the Black Legion in 40K, or maybe a blue/purple with a silver or gunmetal trim.

I looked on the PP forums for a Skorne painting thread, but the only one I found in the first few pages caused me to reflexively scream "thin your paints!" and immediately close the tab.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nostratic posted:

Perfect, thanks for the advice! Skorne and Cryx battleboxes are on the way and should be here by the time my wife and son get back from vacation; we skyped last night for a bit and my son asked, "So... is anything coming in the mail for when I get back?" I didn't say anything, just did :smug: with eyebrow raises. His eyes got big and he did the same.

Mom has no clue.

Re: learning to play: we generally play nice, but if my kiddo smells blood in the water all bets are off. The last time he crushed me at Pokemon, he had his winning turn, jumped up, threw his cards down and went, "Oh yeah, in yo FAAAAAAACE!"

And Serotonin, holy crap! Glad to hear you're starting to recover. Definitely kill it with the PT and get that hand back to full strength. [/nursebrain]

Teach him to yell WITNESS ME! instead when he wins and it'll be :perfect:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

Teach him to yell WITNESS ME! instead when he wins and it'll be :perfect:

I told the story of the Houston tournament at my LGS last week. Now I've got half the league participants yelling that every time they feat.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cheers for the support. I'm working my arse off in physio as I'm desperate to get back to painting and playing. Got to be ready for Smogcon 2016.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Yadoppsi posted:

You lucky bastard.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chain Attack posted a picture of what is apparently Doomshaper3. Also get well Serotonin :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

koreban posted:

I told the story of the Houston tournament at my LGS last week. Now I've got half the league participants yelling that every time they feat.

I hope that's as fun as I'm imagining it could be instead of being run into the ground.

Either way, imagine a little kid doing it and how adorably tiny and fierce it would be :3:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Devorum posted:

I was thinking maybe a black and gold like the Black Legion in 40K, or maybe a blue/purple with a silver or gunmetal trim.

As it happens I just started reading the Skorne book today and canonically the troops Abyssal Fortress wear black armor so you should do that because I bet a black and gold Skorne army would look loving amazing.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

CaptCommy posted:

The "Show us your Scyrah" thread on the PP boards is actually a super good place to get inspiration. It's one of the few threads on those boards that I legit love. Look at this stuff!
Wow, they actually made Ret look super cool

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

AttackTheMoon posted:

Wow, they actually made Ret look super cool

Ret is super cool. :colbert:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

I hope that's as fun as I'm imagining it could be instead of being run into the ground.

Either way, imagine a little kid doing it and how adorably tiny and fierce it would be :3:

When the young'uns do it, it's :3: as hell. When the adults do it, it's still amusing and hasn't been completely run into the ground yet. We are up to 23 people in journeyman league right now, so the general excitement and level of participation is high enough to keep it going.

edit, context: 5 weeks ago, we had 3 regular warmahordes players for miniatures night and if you wanted to play anyone else, you had to call ahead and convince them to bring in their stuff to get a game in. Everyone else was doing 40k.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Serotonin posted:

Ret is super cool. :colbert:

haha look at how wrong you are

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

koreban posted:

When the young'uns do it, it's :3: as hell. When the adults do it, it's still amusing and hasn't been completely run into the ground yet. We are up to 23 people in journeyman league right now, so the general excitement and level of participation is high enough to keep it going.

edit, context: 5 weeks ago, we had 3 regular warmahordes players for miniatures night and if you wanted to play anyone else, you had to call ahead and convince them to bring in their stuff to get a game in. Everyone else was doing 40k.

All hail Age of Sigmar :v:

Seriously I wonder how much champagne got thrown around at PP HQ when they looked at the AoS release and realized that their player base was about to expand significantly

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Magres posted:

Seriously I wonder how much champagne got thrown around at PP HQ when they looked at the AoS release and realized that their player base was about to expand significantly

I'd been on the fence for a long time between popularity and practicality. AoS is what convinced ME that GW was not interested in my money. And I'm just a new guy with a large amount of free time at weird hours. Dedicated people who can churn out armies in an evening are a whole different matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Magres posted:

More like Age of Cygnar amirite?

• Locked thread