Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like just then "thats a biplane I shouldn't turnfight I should fly to intercept him as he chances my teammate and then run"

He then catches me and kills me. Like nothing you'd think is obvious actually works in this game and it doesn't tell you much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
The best thing you can do is trap them by maintaining altitude and speed while dodging whatever they shoot at you. If they stallclimb at you they'll run out of energy and airspeed quickly and be an easy target, or you can extend and outrun them.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Like just then "thats a biplane I shouldn't turnfight I should fly to intercept him as he chances my teammate and then run"

He then catches me and kills me. Like nothing you'd think is obvious actually works in this game and it doesn't tell you much either.

If you're playing AB, which is probably best at first because you get respawns and it's overall more forgiving, a couple tips:

Over-G/Overspeed won't damage your plane, and WEPing too much just briefly makes you stop WEPing. It does not damage you to push poo poo too far. I pulled 15G's in a Lancaster last night in AB and nothing bad happened. So this "cut throttle" thing you're talking about, well, not in Arcade, at least, lol.

Differences between planes are not as pronounced in AB; A biplane may well be able to zoom-climb a km into your belly from below and with air reloads won't hesitate to dump his whole ammo load while trying. All the same RB tactics still WORK they're just exaggerated in speed and distance. Similarly a decent BNZ run in arcade involves "REDUCE SPEED" flashing for well over a minute and possibly reloading once while continuing to shoot at everything you flash past; Again it's all the same stuff just exaggerated in speed/distance and without any hesitation to dump arbitrary amounts of ammunition.

In AB games the center of the map, on the deck, is where planes tend to congregate. Practice maneuvering around/past "The Scrum" and picking off stragglers or the weak/slow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The anniversary sale has created an interesting situation in high level tanks because Russian teams are full of glass-cannon T34-100's.

Also 3.7 is now utterly hosed for gold wagering because there are T34Es everywhere and it's just no longer possible to guarantee a kill before your team hits the enemy spawn and ends the game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Wow, I just went to go gently caress around with making a Fallout: New Vegas B-29 skin, but it turns out you're not allowed to make custom skins for the B-29! As far as I know there's no other plane that this applies to, so I can only assume that they didn't want to deal with a bunch of Enola Gay or Boxscar skins.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

It's a combo of can't hit and then don't do much when I do.

Generally Spitfires have a good combination of machineguns for poking around at and cannons for taking killshots while still being the wildly effective purpose built interceptors that they were irl. They are an excellent plane for inexperienced players because they're chill to fly and can always fall back into defensive flying patterns against almost anything that isn't a Zero/Hayabusa but are still capable of chasing people around and generally win a climb race. They will also teach you how to use the machineguns to both line up a full power kill shot using cannons and use plinking chance shots to bait someone into a turnfight.

In arcade you don't have to worry about wings breaking off so loving abuse the poo poo out of it. If you take the time to setup kills as you would in RB you will literally be untouchable.

If firepower is still a concern fly the Aircobra. While less maneuverable these planes are the loving most bullshit op thing because of air reloads and damaged planes flying perfectly normal in AB. In the hands of an experienced player these things tend to grief the poo poo out of red teams. They're alright in RB/SB but require a high level of aim and ammo management that doesn't really work for every player.

And yeah, not getting hit is a general goal, but I dunno how to do that either. It feels so bullshit, like I'll be a km above someone and I'll cut throttle to dive on them, they'll point their nose up (which I thought was a very bad thing but apparently not) and 1 hit me. I'll try work my way through this list but I find myself getting mad and going back to tanks pretty quick because I'm good at that relative to the general playerbase and my skill from other games carries over. The only other plane games I've played are Battlefields 2 3 and 4.

Fly straight line BnZ fighters. A lot of energy fighting requires you to be able to quickly and accurately read the enemy's energy level. In arcade, any plane can just prop hang at you so this is kind of irrelevant but in RB you are going to see planes banking energy so that they have options like this. Essays could be written on differing energy levels in cartoon videogame dogfighting but it basically breaks down to Speed = Energy and Energy = Maneuvering Options.

Until you can start to differentiate a plane that is flying slow with no options and fast enough to pull wild evasive maneuvers then focus on simply diving in at high speeds, attacking someone and zooming the gently caress away to reset for another attack. Don't immediately bounce back on them until you start getting a feel for if they are trapped. The more you bounce back on an enemy the more you risk getting trapped in a fight that you cannot escape from. BnZ is the absolute best strategy for maximizing your survival in an offensive mindset no matter how experienced you are. This is why great players can take a loving poo poo rear end plane like the Hurricane into a battle and somehow not die in it.

Also FWIW the best way to describe air combat in the Battlefield series to games like this or IL-2/DCS is very much like comparing Mario Kart to Forza/Gran Turismo so try not to feel bad because they're very different.

This. I'm flying LaGGs in AB and the yak 7b in RB.

LaGGs are hardmode. Yaks in RB require excellent aim and the main reason I recommend the La series over them is that they have more ammo and will absolutely outfly a German 109 under the clouds. It's worth noting that the 109 is comparable plane and probably one of the most common enemies you will encounter in RB unless you get thrown into some alternate history bullshit.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
La's especially the LaGGs make for hrilling rollercoaster rides of flight experiences that end in ground crews cleaning twigs grass and dirt out of the undercarriage. You need to make your own excitement in the Yaks.

e: Yesssss http://warthunder.com/en/news/3402-maintenance-scheduled-server-maintenance-5-11-2015-en

quote:

The War Thunder game servers will be closed for scheduled maintenance on the 5th of November from XX:XX GMT to approximately XX:XX GMT. We will inform you when maintenance is over.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
The P-47s and other similar tons-o-fiddys US aircraft are also hilariously fun in AB.

I really should actually move down into one of the channels while I play even if the group looks full instead of playing in AFK the entire time.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah, you don't have to be part of the squad. Just do it to help kill time talking to someone and make fun of the pubbies on the teams.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sync-dropping's also a thing that works in this game and nobody's gonna get sour if a 5th guy shows up and a group of 4 thus wind up with 2 people who wanna do one thing and 3 that wanna do another. Plus sometimes there's an AFK guy in channel, etc. Don't be shy; at worst you'll get told the group is full and doesn't want you around, which you were already assuming.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I idle in the Sim channel but nobody ever joins me :(

Though I realize that this is because I only play at night in PST and most of you are in much later timezones.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm kind of a little deflated with the new update because it's not going to have a proper Brit tank tree :smith:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

Wow, I just went to go gently caress around with making a Fallout: New Vegas B-29 skin, but it turns out you're not allowed to make custom skins for the B-29! As far as I know there's no other plane that this applies to, so I can only assume that they didn't want to deal with a bunch of Enola Gay or Boxscar skins.

http://live.warthunder.com/feed/camouflages/?q=%23b29 I have literally no idea what you're talking about

like specifically one of the first skins to come out for the B-29 was an Enola Gay one

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Have they ever said anything about the A-4 Skyhawk getting in the game?

Because it'd be the best thing ever. Especially if they did something nutty like give it Rockeyes from 1967.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 4, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's not on the release tree.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Every time I see that list I misread B-18 as B-1B and for just a split second go all :getin:. Goddamn font choices.

Also they need to hurry the gently caress up and put in the rest of the P-38s and the P-61 (and i guess another F-82 variant), because twin-boom.

E VV gently caress that, give us a Super Corsair.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 5, 2015

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
^^ Yeah but the F2G isn't on the tree, and they're adding 3 P-38s tomorrow anyway so you're getting half your wish.

Where's my F4U-4c Gaijin

and F6F-5

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 5, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hmm sorry can't hear you we're releasing another lagg

Enourmo posted:

Also they need to hurry the gently caress up and put in the rest of the P-38s and the P-61 (and i guess another F-82 variant), because twin-boom.

P-38s are in 1.53

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

BBJoey posted:

hmm sorry can't hear you we're releasing another lagg

P-38s are in 1.53

Pre-production model lagg that is actually just a tractor with wings strapped on it.

gently caress it put this in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Take screenshots of your decals before it goes down for patch maintenance, on dev a load of (earned) decals were removed seemingly randomly.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MrLonghair posted:

Take screenshots of your decals before it goes down for patch maintenance, on dev a load of (earned) decals were removed seemingly randomly.

I'd have to buy a whole new hard drive for that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

BBJoey posted:

http://live.warthunder.com/feed/camouflages/?q=%23b29 I have literally no idea what you're talking about

like specifically one of the first skins to come out for the B-29 was an Enola Gay one

:shrug:

Also a bunch of those skins are MLP poo poo and I'm starting to understand this decision.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

:shrug:

Also a bunch of those skins are MLP poo poo and I'm starting to understand this decision.

Yeah seriously live.warthunder suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks so badly because the camouflage section is almost entirely taken up with MLP or anime skins, or dipshits inserting ~pinup photos~ into cockpits. Even if you find a skin that you think looks good, chances are that if you download it and throw it in game, you'll find that actually it's pretty poo poo because most skinners don't understand how weathering works so anything painted looks horrible. The best way to find good skins I've found is to find a skinner whose work you like (so far I've found two; http://live.warthunder.com/user/PorcoRosso86/ for Italian planes and http://live.warthunder.com/user/Petranera/ for Ki-84s) and stick with them, but the problem is that they tend to be perfectionists and take a long time to make skins and only focus on a specific niche, which is fair enough, but it means if you want to find a skin for a new plane you have to brave the poo poo swamp all over again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Cool, it's one of those joystick in AB players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83lhtkTkZZY
23 kills 1 assist :psyduck:

e: he's also got Ace Combat PC videos, never knew that existed, another reason to buy a better nicer stick

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 5, 2015

Blamzor
Jul 10, 2009
Nap Ghost
Its weird watching someone use a joystick they dont attack at all like you can in AB .

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

patch is up

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
http://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/499 changelog

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Does this patch add that new SB plane visibility that people were posting about? Also, I'm hoping the new lighting means planes will reflect glints of sunlight. Il-2 Cliffs of Dover has that and it makes spotting someone below you way easier.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/275142-changes-in-flight-models-for-153-firestorm-update/ it is important that we all read, analyse, and consider this information.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Spitfires and 109s are now easier to control in sim mode. Nothing else matters.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Shine posted:

Does this patch add that new SB plane visibility that people were posting about? Also, I'm hoping the new lighting means planes will reflect glints of sunlight. Il-2 Cliffs of Dover has that and it makes spotting someone below you way easier.

It's in the changelog, so yes, it's included.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

By default, a right mouse click is now mapped to activating the “follow target” mode and not for zoom in the scope. By pressing the button the gunner will hold the nearest target in scope view.

beware friends

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm about to finish the download and all I can report is THEY RUINED EVERYTHING AGAIN.

servers are down anyway

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Not badly done until it gets to the bit about planes, then their English goes off the rails.

Patch is 9.5gb btw, I think that's the entire game?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

BBJoey posted:

beware friends

quote:

USSR: 100mm ZBM-8 penetration increased by 1%, 122 ZBM-11 penetration increased by 3,5%, 122mm ZBM-7 penetration increased by 1%, 85mm BR-367P penetration decreased by 4%.

USA - 105mm М392А2 - penetration increased by 5%, 90mm М332 - penetration decreased by 14%, 90mm М304 penetration decreased by 13,2%, 90mm Т44 penetration decreased by 13%, 76mm М93 penetration decreased by 2%, 76mm М331А2 penetration decreased by 10%, 76mm М319 penetration decreased by 10%.

Germany: 105mm DM-13 penetration increased by 5%, 105mm PzGr 40 penetration decreased by 10%, 88mm PzGr 40/43 penetration decreased by 11%, 75mm PzGr 40/42 penetration decreased by 15%.

quote:

PS4
* Added Trophies
:woop:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Shanakin posted:

It's in the changelog, so yes, it's included.

Where? I didn't see that.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Shine posted:

Where? I didn't see that.

Try the bit that says "Visibility mechanics have been updated" and links to the article about the new long range rendering and fixing ULQ advantages.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
Why did they leave the most important thing until last?

quote:

Steam Achievements added

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Those new rocket tanks look cool, but what happens if you just shoot the pods? Am I right in thinking it should just kill the tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Those new rocket tanks look cool, but what happens if you just shoot the pods? Am I right in thinking it should just kill the tank?

Such is the intention now, yes.

• Locked thread