Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

This seriously took me the whole month.

Detektuv’s Jurnal is the faint glow around all of the red lights. It's most visible around the knee lights.

Dragon mech has a little 'charging port' in its chest...

...that lets its eyes glow. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

A rather terrible attempt at OSL, but I guess Oath Complete.

Signal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 30, 2014

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Leperflesh posted:

Did you do this month's Jurnal? It sort of looks like maybe you did with the lights, but I can't tell the difference between OSL and just using metallics (or just the affect of the lighting you're using for that matter) so I ask everyone to point out where they did a Jurnal entry.

No true OSL, so no Jurnal for me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

KingMob posted:

Really? Those reddish white parts totally look glowy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Iris of Ether posted:

Oath Complete!

But it shows! That dragon is baller.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Signal posted:

A rather terrible attempt at OSL, but I guess Oath Complete.

username in photo = +1 point

KingMob posted:

OK

Head's up everyone: tomorrow is January 31st! Check your time zones and world clocks and get your stuff done by midnight GMT!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

username in photo = +1 point

Thanks. Post edited.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

ijyt posted:

Really? Those reddish white parts totally look glowy.

What I mean is there's no OSL in the sense that areas outside of the "light-emitting" parts don't have any simulated cast lighting.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete

Not happy with any of them, but whatever, moving on. Theme is the headlights if it wasn't obvious.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 30, 2014

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete!

Jurnal for the glowing cells on the sniper (but why a sniper would wear a bunch of light-me-up items, I don't know!)
Themed Group because all five come from the Dark Potential starter set
Box art because there is a box with art on it that looks like my minis
The Not-GW mini competition

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oath Complete!

This month's jurnal is the glow on the cannon frame from the warpstone, and in the barrel.

It's such a bitch to properly light a model when it has so many shadowy crevices.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Oath Complete!

1 x Skaven standard bearer and 5 x scrap counters for Malifaux

Jurnal entry is on the skaven standard bearer, it's a glowey warpstone charm hanging from the banner. I'm quite pleased with how it came out, it's quite subtle to look at in the flesh :)

Also claiming...

Fly your flag for the standard bearer, though re-reading the bonus points.. does this count? It says 'add a banner or a flag' - what if the model has a banner? :ohdear:

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 for the scrap counters for Malifaux, they're 'trash' resin bases, they just looked so much nicer than a token with the word 'SCRAP' on it. I was going to do corpse counters using graveyard bases too but they were out of stock and still haven't been delivered.

Finding time for painting this month has been a real struggle, glad I didn't oath more, I've managed pretty much 3 nights of painting and each of those has been a handful of hours at best. I'm too bloody busy and something is going to have to give sooner or later, it's likely to be painting rather than other commitments :(

ninja edit: incidentally, the model I wanted to use for the OSL challenge was the old Ramos model from Malifaux, ordered on the 1st of Jan... arrived this Tuesday just gone. D'oh.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

1 Irmandinho from Corvus Beli (Infinity)

Infinity Model Entry

1 Wizard from Reaper Miniatures

January's Detektuv’s Jurnal OSL Entry

10 6mm Norman bowmen from Baccus Miniatures

Themed Group Entry

All of them qualify for Non-GW Entry

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 31, 2014

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Ahh, nothing like a constantly breaking-down car that is your only means of conveyance to take your mind off of oath threads.

:siren:JUDGMENT ALSO MY CAR DESERVES TO DIE:siren:

3 Points: White Out Mouse!

I honestly think that the technical aspect plays a huge part of how I view this as art, but in honesty, isn't that the point? Care of craft, bright scheme, eye-catching visual style and a defined use of color--all pieces should want to be this good. I do find myself often saying "this is your best work yet" but I honestly can't say it enough; you, sir, and everyone else in this thread improves by leaps and bounds with each new work, or shows me something new and interesting. This is one of those things, one of those times.

2 Points: Mt. ORourke!

Hot metal; that's what I see here, which is very appropriate for what this army does. Theme integrated into artwork is always nice to see. While I do like this scheme, I like your interpretation and stylistic choices of it; balancing warm reds and oranges with tones of brass and burnished silvers is very well planned and very well executed.

1 Point: Rikthor!

You stand out this month more than you usually do, and in a good way. Nice, bright blues and golds and contrasted with subdued hues and tones makes for a lovely piece of art. You paint very conservatively, and while at times this may dampen your work overall, this time it has enhanced it. Work at making your style work for you, and I'm sure I'll see you placing on my list more and more.

EDIT: Well dicks, Bonus Cool Kid's Point: Dr. Gargunza!

Well, now that I am looking at the right thing, yes, I liked yours the best :downs: Really, the whole model is great.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 1, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
A new OATH COMPLETE post to replace the old one, with username and parts list

Journal is the glowing eye on one of the wraiths.

Parts list (this is all the paints used in this oath,both deathmarks and wraiths):
Army Painter Black Prime
Abaddon Black
Warplock Bronze
Sycorax Bronze
Dawnstone
Bloodred
Red Gore
Dark Angels Green
Snot Green
Moot Green
Dwarf Bronze
Boltgun Metal
Chainmail
Nuln Oil
Armageddon Dust

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

7 Plague marines(Warhammer 40k)

I did the weathering/rust journal again, I tried some OSL with the plasma guns and couldn't get it to look good at all and gave up

Also claiming themed group

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 31, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sole.Sushi posted:

While I did like his more, I do still like yours as well. Very nice use of OSL definitely gets you my vote for the theme point this month.

:ssh: OSL is January's theme.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

OSL is on my badass lantern squig. I was going to make it subtle but then I decided to go hog-wild, and was forced to drag two more models into the Jurnal to make it look right.
I'd like to claim Fly Your Flag on the banner, since painting your own banners is a bitch, it turns out.

I also completed my Diorama:

It's going to be unit filler for goblins, although it probably took a lot longer for me to paint than the twelve goblins it replaces. I'd like to try to claim Box Art on the diorama, since I did my best to replicate the marble/gold effect on the statue (albeit without metallic paint...)

I wanted to paint the cracks on there but I just couldn't figure it out. I still don't understand how they did it, I tried three or four different methods. Still, I like the results, and the statue is bigger than most models anyway, so I hope it will be fine.

EDIT: They are also obviously a Themed Group

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 31, 2014

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

:sirenOATH COMPLETE:siren:

Wanted to try a limited color scheme with these guys.

Picture highlighting the OSL areas, eyes and guns on all of them.

Close up of bushes

And one more shot, to represent my inspiration the color scheme.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Jurnal is my attempt at osl from the glowing stone thing

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

This month's jurnal is Everything!

Thor Steinhammer

Gorman at sea

Press Ganger

Syntherion, Galvanizer, Mitigator, Diffuser

Cipher, Inverter, and Monitor

Reflex Servitors, a themed group

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 31, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

This is my Diorama Entry and also my oath - the Jurnal is the glow from the blue screen (and a really subtle bit of red on the left boot that the pics didn't really catch), so it won't count for extra judges points for Jan.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Iris of Ether posted:

Oath Complete!

Detektuv’s Jurnal is the faint glow around all of the red lights. It's most visible around the knee lights.

Dragon mech has a little 'charging port' in its chest...

...that lets its eyes glow. :3:

I'm planning a similar project with Wyrmgear and was curious what you did to trim off the 'rocks' and such around the feet? With how soft bones is, I'm paranoid about slicing off too much.

As for my judgements, I'll have that up soon!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:
...somehow, despite this month being 30 solid days of crap and counting....

Here's a bunch of dungeon delvers and a...well, everyone calls him "Barkeep."

The Jurnal for this month consists of the examples of OSL on these guys' weapons: the swordmage's staff crystal and blade, the runes on the orc's choppa sword, and the soulfire on the paladin's +5 Holy Avenger!

(I hope the youngster I'm making this for is okay with blue fire; he originally wanted "orange flames" and orange armor, but that combo doesn't make for good visibility OSL. Kids these days, I tell ya...)

For my I rolled a 6!...or a 20!...or maybe an 01 entry, here's a sinister Nazi zeppelin and eight mysterious temples for the Fortune and Glory boardgame!

I did different color/terrain schemes on each temple because they can appear randomly anywhere in the game world. The tops of the pyramids are gold to indicate their value as a treasure when picked up by players (or villains in co-op mode). The zeppelin can drop off Nazi soldiers around the game board--or be boarded and looted of its stolen gold (or blown to smithereens) by foolhardy adventurers!

...And not a GW miniature in the bunch. :toot:
Full gallery is here (will probably be updated with better pics soon): http://imgur.com/a/7m0nu

(For propriety's sake, and to paraphrase Flying Frog Productions' own statement in the game manual: The use of the swastika on the zeppelin model is for artistic and historical accuracy, and is in no respect an endorsement of the ideals of the Nazi Party, racism, anti-semitism, or fascism. The Nazis are clearly the villains in this game, as in all things. gently caress the Nazis and anyone who continues to support them.)

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Oath Failed

:negative:

I haven't even got them all assembled yet, this month has been crazy busy for me.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

OATH IS COMPLETE

poo poo, gotta post these dudes before the deadline. Orks are so great to paint, the shokk attack gun is the most fun I've had in ages with a model. I added a little bit of eerie glow to the end of it, as well as to the coils and bits of the zzap guns, for my jurnal ingredient:

Also, they're a themed group.

Edit: added a closeup of my favorites, hopefully a little clearer for the judges. I'll have time to set up my light box one day, I swear!

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 31, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Monoliths posted:

Judges: If I make a better photography attempt this weekend, would you prefer me to edit this post or make a new one for the slideshow, etc?

I'd prefer that folks aren't re-submitting photos after the deadline, it can open up a big can of worms when the points get close. (I also really don't want to have to check the edit date of every completed oath!)

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement! For December!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Slimnoid

You continue to pop out some amazing stuff. Love the weathering on the 'jacks, those soul tokens came out great. The chaplain is a piece of art, the base is rocking, the hand coming out of the water is a killer touch.

2nd Place, 2 Points: Enri

I love these god drat cats so much. Simple and perfect. The grey fur with the brown wash of some sort came out excellently, the little pink noses pop out in an appropriate way. The base fits the tone of the models perfectly. They just look great.

1st Place, 3 Points: Germ

You Nurgle pieces are again outstanding. You have captured a great look with these, top to bottom, and it keeps on getting better and better as time goes by, and they've been great from the beginning. On top of that, the walls are sweet. Good painters make long pieces of wall dry brushed with craft paints look great, and you are a good painter.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, NMM,1 Point: IrvingWashington

The extreme chrome NMM looks awesome. The entire piece looks pretty great as well, the highlighting on the red of the gun, the base came out sweet. Great job.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Well, the bases aren't done and no journal but they're painted.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Bachtere posted:

2nd Place, 2 Points: Enri

I love these god drat cats so much. Simple and perfect. The grey fur with the brown wash of some sort came out excellently, the little pink noses pop out in an appropriate way. The base fits the tone of the models perfectly. They just look great.

Saw the thumb and I was all "oh hey I painted up some hoarca-aaaaaa!" :aaa:

Thanks man, they were really straightforward to paint, really enjoyed doing them too :)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Jurnal is the light diffusing through the candles, and the light from the crystal on the staff.

It's hard to get even lighting when it's 2am and I only have one lamp.

The OSL I did last year was kinda terrible, but I like how this one went.

I had a near miss when I tried to open my new Amethyst wash and it exploded all over the desk. Luckily I caught most of it on the palette and my brush towel; now I just have a purple puddle and nothing to use it on.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 31, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'm planning a similar project with Wyrmgear and was curious what you did to trim off the 'rocks' and such around the feet? With how soft bones is, I'm paranoid about slicing off too much.

I took an X-acto knife and whittled away at the extra plastic. I first trimmed around the feet in maybe 5-6 top-down cuts until I could see the basic shape of the footprint from an overhead view, then I held it on its side and carefully started cutting away the extra material beneath the foot. If you end up making ~1-2mm cut inward, then rotating the foot to cut in at a different point, that should help to give you a bit more control.

On the upside, there is honestly not a lot of detail on the foot. If you end up slipping and losing some detail, it shouldn't be too hard to build it up again with some green stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Bonus Cool Kid's Point: Slimnoid!

Had trouble choosing which I liked more; your take on the scheme or Mt. ORourke's. While I did like his more, I do still like yours as well. Very nice use of OSL definitely gets you my vote for the theme point this month.

Sole.Sushi, OSL is the January theme. For December, we need you to pick your favorite model displaying NMM. :(

Under 15 posted:

I'd like to try to claim Box Art on the diorama, since I did my best to replicate the marble/gold effect on the statue (albeit without metallic paint...)

This one is borderline, so I'm going to consult with Krushgroove on it.

Monoliths posted:

OATH IS COMPLETE
Judges: If I make a better photography attempt this weekend, would you prefer me to edit this post or make a new one for the slideshow, etc?

I have to agree with Krushgroove, except beyond just it being a preference. Unless a judge or organizer asks someone to change or add a photo, we don't want any edits to Oath Complete posts after the deadline. Shenanigans are too possible. You're welcome to post updated photos in the thread, but they won't be seen by the judges.

If we let people update their photos for the slideshow post-deadline, we'd be giving those goons a photographic advantage over all the ones who had to take hurried snapshots just before midnight. I'd rather everyone have the exact same deadlines to work with.

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

I almost hate to point it out, because your models and paintjob are otherwise lovely, but... you painted your fire upside-down. Fire is white/yellow at the source of ignition, fading to darker colors as you go away from that. A was candle flame can be a little different, with a touch of blue at the bottom and the brightest part in the middle, but still no red at the middle point.

You still get all the points of course! :)

I always notice this because some very good painters make the same mistake. I just noticed it in a recent White Dwarf, some pro GW studio painter got it backwards in a big display photo.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 31, 2014

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I almost hate to point it out, because your models and paintjob are otherwise lovely, but... you painted your fire upside-down. Fire is white/yellow at the source of ignition, fading to darker colors as you go away from that. A was candle flame can be a little different, with a touch of blue at the bottom and the brightest part in the middle, but still no red at the middle point.

You still get all the points of course! :)

I always notice this because some very good painters make the same mistake. I just noticed it in a recent White Dwarf, some pro GW studio painter got it backwards in a big display photo.

:downs: I knew that. In my defence it was after midnight when I did the flames, and apricot cider does not help with remembering how to paint properly. I'll redo it tomorrow (that is, later today). Unfortunately it'll be too late to update the pics by then.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apricot cider! Please send me a link. My wife and I like cider a lot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:ducksiren: OATH COMPLETE :ducksiren:

I completed my oath for January, but didn't finish my whales, hopefully that doesn't impact this oath and I can try again next month?

Claiming Jurnal, evuhdense bilow

"I'm going to maul you"

OSL around the grenade

OSL around the port on the gun

First time I've tried some flock on a base

OSL light from the gun port shining on his side

Parts List
Mauler:
White Knight Squirts Quick Dry Flat Black Enamel
VMC Natrual Steel
VMC Beige Brown
VGC Sick Green
VGC Ultramarine Blue
VGC Moon Yellow
VGC Off White
Citadel Ceramite White
Citadel Nuln Oil
P3 Meredius Blue
Hobby Color Red
Hobby Color Flat Black
Hobby Color Tan
Secret Weapon Pigments Patina Blue
Secret Weapon Pigments Faded Blue

Rainmaker:
as above (minus the yellow) plus
VMC Medium Sea Grey
VMC German Camouflage Dark Green
VMC German Camouflage Beige WWII
VMC Transparent Red
Citadel Druchii Violet

Bases:
Basius basing pad Baker Street: ∞ AD
Kneadatite
White Knight Squirts Quick Dry Flat White Enamel
VMC Medium Sea Grey
VMC German Camouflage Medium Brown
VGC Wolf Grey
Hobby Color Flat Black
P3 Bloodstone
Citadel Typhus Corrosion
Army Painter Battlefields Wasteland Tuft

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

My name got changed from Higgsboson81 to uh, this, in YOSPOS so sorry if that messes anything up.

OATH COMPLETE

I think this counts as Themed Group, and Box Art.
Here's the box art from Privateer Press:

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Here's a first for me. oath faaaaiiiled

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

:ducksiren: OATH COMPLETE :ducksiren:

I completed my oath for January, but didn't finish my whales, hopefully that doesn't impact this oath and I can try again next month?

Nope you're fine, you get full credit for the oath and you can try to Whales again next month.

M. Night Skymall posted:

My name got changed from Higgsboson81 to uh, this, in YOSPOS so sorry if that messes anything up.

That's fine, easily updated in the spreadsheets. It looks like you maybe did this month's theme? If so, please say so. If you did, since you also did Box Art, you qualify as having done Double the Fun as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

That's fine, easily updated in the spreadsheets. It looks like you maybe did this month's theme? If so, please say so. If you did, since you also did Box Art, you qualify as having done Double the Fun as well.

Sadly anything that looks like OSL is actually me just slopping paint where I wasn't trying to put it :v:.

• Locked thread