Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
Hi all. I've got a question about an old Sony amplifier that I wondered if anyone happened to know the answer to, as google hasn't turned up anything. Basically it has three power distribution sockets on the back:

The amp model is a Sony TA-AX2, and those sockets say "CM-10" and "HIRAKAWA" on them. I was just curious if anyone knew where i could get plugs for them, if such a thing is possible at all - i mean, i could imagine the other separates coming with the plugs crimped on and then by the time i bought them on ebay them being cut off and replaced with a normal wall socket plug, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Hey, I know I posted a bunch of crap on the last page with my new system I was excited about. I've generally got it sounding nice with once exception..the low end.

It sounds nice. Way way nicer than my past system. But it still just doesnt feel "locked in" to me. Its a bit echoy, the very low frequencies (kick drum) are way stronger than bass guitar. It just doesnt feel like my subwoofer is up to par with how amazingly beautiful my mains are sounding. The mains are so freaking crisp and accurate it makes me cry. I'd love for the bass to really be strong and keep up.

Do I have an under powered subwoofer for my setup or am I really misconfiguring something? Am I just too biased by operating line arrays with 8 Black Widow 18" drivers under them? I'm not trying to play to a crowd here..just my average sized livingroom, but I'd like to bass to move things while being matched in clarity and balance to my really clear and sweet sounding mains.

One of the posts of mine on the past page or so has my equipment lists, but in summary:
Yamaha RX-667 amp
2x OWM5 - Mains
2x OWM3 - Rears
1x CS10 - A very big center channel speaker
1x PSW10 - Powered subwoofer

Audio source: Mix of 320kbps and lossless audio files fed over SPDIF to the receiver. Operating the receiver in a straight muti channel stereo mode - not one of those sound murdering surround emulating modes.

chedemefedeme fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 8, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

chedemefedeme posted:

Do I have an under powered subwoofer for my setup or am I really misconfiguring something?

Echoes can mess with your perception of bass. Try messing with sub placement or building a few bass traps in your listening room. Poor mans bass trap is a pile of pillows in the corner behind the subwoofer and a large carpet on the floor. Try also placing the subwoofer in the middle of the floor and setting it up so it only handles sounds below 80Hz. If it changes your listening experience considerably you can start looking for a more wife-friendly solution.

jmoney
May 15, 2003

what might have been
I'm buying a new house and it has a media room pre-wired for 5.1 surround sound in the ceiling. From what I've read online so far, it's seems like the consensus is that I can get away with the rear speakers in the ceiling but the front, center, and sub are better off not being in the ceiling. What's the A/V Arena verdict on this?

And if in-ceiling is satisfactory, am I losing out in getting Monoprice speakers like these as opposed to something like these? Same question for subwoofers too.

Sparklepants
May 18, 2010

let's get creative!
Hi guys,

My company wants to start up our own Ustream, and most of our broadcasts are going to be from concerts and shows, where the volume is going to be very high and our laptop/camera microphones wont be able to handle it. Can anyone suggest an external mic that is capable of handling music at this volume? We would be broadcasting from a laptop. Hopefully eventually a handheld camera but my boss is being cheap right now.

Thanks!

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

The shows I've worked at (large scale) always take a mix of live mics and a line (matrix feed, usually) from the board. This provides the ideal sound because it isnt too dead but its not just all crowd noise, wind noise, people yelling at each other right next to your mic and venue reverberations.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I got a pair of Energy RC-R's to use as rear speakers and I can't manage to turn the knobs that you use to adjust the SFM bipolar/dipolar setting. Does anyone have these and know what I'm doing wrong?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My friend just got the M-audio av30s. When she tries to plug them into the speaker port of her laptop (she has a macbook) the speakers don't work. However, when we plug the speakers into her ipod they work fine.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

Taima posted:

My friend just got the M-audio av30s. When she tries to plug them into the speaker port of her laptop (she has a macbook) the speakers don't work. However, when we plug the speakers into her ipod they work fine.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Warning: Uneducated audio opinion ahead. I'm not a moron with electronics but, in general...

These speakers are 4 ohm (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV30.html). The nearest thing to a standard for consumer-level speakers/headphones would be 8 ohm. This means that these speakers are drawing twice as much power as the laptop might expect. Perhaps the laptop's not able to push this much current? I'd say try Google but I can't get decent results after a couple quick searches.

If it is indeed the case that the laptop can't drive the speakers well then you might be able to confirm this by playing something loud at full volume on the laptop and listening for any noise from the speakers*. If this is the case then a small amp may be enough for you to take full advantage of the speakers with the laptop. I can come back with some suggestions for small, cheap amps but I won't go digging through my emails unless you'd like me to.

* This is probably a stupid move but it confirmed for me that my phone couldn't drive 32 ohm headphones.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Melraidin posted:

Warning: Uneducated audio opinion ahead. I'm not a moron with electronics but, in general...

These speakers are 4 ohm (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV30.html). The nearest thing to a standard for consumer-level speakers/headphones would be 8 ohm. This means that these speakers are drawing twice as much power as the laptop might expect. Perhaps the laptop's not able to push this much current? I'd say try Google but I can't get decent results after a couple quick searches.

If it is indeed the case that the laptop can't drive the speakers well then you might be able to confirm this by playing something loud at full volume on the laptop and listening for any noise from the speakers*. If this is the case then a small amp may be enough for you to take full advantage of the speakers with the laptop. I can come back with some suggestions for small, cheap amps but I won't go digging through my emails unless you'd like me to.

* This is probably a stupid move but it confirmed for me that my phone couldn't drive 32 ohm headphones.

Those speakers are powered so the ohmage doesn't matter. If you aren't getting any sound from the computer I'd bet it's a setting somewhere on the computer itself. Plug headphones or other speakers into the computer to see whether it's a computer issue or a speaker issue. Since they work with the iPod the speakers should be fine.

DeadFalling
Nov 11, 2007
Bringer of Woe
Alright, I've got my first decent speaker setup and did it all for pretty cheap.

It's as follows:
MonsterPower PowerCenter HT700 - Free (Was from an older HDTV my parents bought)
Sony STR-DE197 Receiver - $25 (Goodwill)
Bose 301 Series II - Free (They were given to my dad by a friend a few years ago; Despite apparently being from 1983 they are in perfect condition. I'm going to paint the godawful wood-grain cabinets within a couple days)
Speaker Cable - Free (Made from a couple generic brown extension cords we had lying around)

I've got the laptop and receiver plugged into the MonsterPower. The speakers are hooked to the wire with spring clips, and the other end of the wire hooks into the receiver also with spring clips. I have my laptop hooked to the receiver by a 3.5mm to RCA cord.

My question is: What's the next step for upgrading my system (Preferably cheap, obviously :p)

DeadFalling fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 16, 2011

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

You've built a nice starter system pretty cheap that amplifier was well priced for what it is. Unfortunately I fear many here may tell you the speakers you have are the first limitation of having a quality setup. Bose isn't well respected by many audiophiles and can be difficult to match to other speakers in your setup. Perhaps a set of nice monitor/bookshelf speakers from one of the more trusted brands talked about in this thread? I think that'd be the next step.

Something that will help others who know more than me about smaller setups (i deal mainly in concert sound) is telling us about your desired usage for these. Is this for watching television? Movies? General music listening? Enjoyment of lossless audio at best quality possible with your budget?

Knowing what you want from your system will help people here get you in the right direction.

Edit: Some examples. I'm a bit of a Polk Audio fan so perhaps others will recommend something better for your money but its fairly agreed that Polk is well respected for their higher end stuff. Haven't played with these lower end products but I imagine they'd put your Bose units to shame.

A pair for $99 on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1305521604&sr=8-11

A decently nicer pair for $184
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305521604&sr=8-9

Depending upon the desired volume level of your listening you may desire to add a subwoofer to your setup. Polk and others have subwoofers starting under $100 to add to such a small setup. It will primarily depend if you are listening from a desk or across a room. Some people have no need/desire for a sub when listening to decent bookshelf/monitor speakers at close range.

chedemefedeme fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 16, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jmoney posted:

I'm buying a new house and it has a media room pre-wired for 5.1 surround sound in the ceiling. From what I've read online so far, it's seems like the consensus is that I can get away with the rear speakers in the ceiling but the front, center, and sub are better off not being in the ceiling. What's the A/V Arena verdict on this?

I don't see anyone else answering this question, so here goes: Yes, definitely don't get in-ceiling speakers for center or L/R. You want the sound directed at the listener, not into the floor. For the surrounds, you usually don't need all the details, it's mostly bullet swooshing and reverb effects back there... In most blockbuster movies anyway.

In-wall speakers might be good for your needs, but you're likely to pay more for the same sound quality as stand-alone speakers, so only do this if you're absolutely anal about interior design and/or have more money than sense.

[E: sp]

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 16, 2011

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Melraidin posted:

Thanks, that's an interesting analysis. I'm going over there tomorrow so I'll see if she can get any sound at all out of the laptop on full volume. I'll post again if we end up needing an amp. Thanks for the help.

DeadFalling
Nov 11, 2007
Bringer of Woe

chedemefedeme posted:

You've built a nice starter system pretty cheap that amplifier was well priced for what it is. Unfortunately I fear many here may tell you the speakers you have are the first limitation of having a quality setup. Bose isn't well respected by many audiophiles and can be difficult to match to other speakers in your setup. Perhaps a set of nice monitor/bookshelf speakers from one of the more trusted brands talked about in this thread? I think that'd be the next step.

Something that will help others who know more than me about smaller setups (i deal mainly in concert sound) is telling us about your desired usage for these. Is this for watching television? Movies? General music listening? Enjoyment of lossless audio at best quality possible with your budget?

Knowing what you want from your system will help people here get you in the right direction.

Edit: Some examples. I'm a bit of a Polk Audio fan so perhaps others will recommend something better for your money but its fairly agreed that Polk is well respected for their higher end stuff. Haven't played with these lower end products but I imagine they'd put your Bose units to shame.

A pair for $99 on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1305521604&sr=8-11

A decently nicer pair for $184
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305521604&sr=8-9

Depending upon the desired volume level of your listening you may desire to add a subwoofer to your setup. Polk and others have subwoofers starting under $100 to add to such a small setup. It will primarily depend if you are listening from a desk or across a room. Some people have no need/desire for a sub when listening to decent bookshelf/monitor speakers at close range.

I'd be interested in maybe modding my current speakers but I'm not looking to upgrade to new ones. I know the reputation of Bose is bad, but I've read multiple posts online of people saying those are some of the best speakers Bose has ever made. My uses for them are: #1 Movies #2 Music #3 some very occasional gaming. I'm using them just in a bedroom or dorm room. So, no room for a 5.1/7.1 setup.

Budget-wise, I'm looking for things I can get <$100 or used/refurbished, etc.

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Taima posted:

Thanks, that's an interesting analysis. I'm going over there tomorrow so I'll see if she can get any sound at all out of the laptop on full volume. I'll post again if we end up needing an amp. Thanks for the help.

Be careful. His information about Ohms is incorrect in your situation. If your laptop works out of headphones you have a speaker problem. If your laptop doesn't work with headphones you have a laptop audio output jack problem. As someone said just above, he is incorrect in stating that resistance has anything to do with your situation. Laptops don't put out high power amplified signals, only line level signals, the resistance flat doesn't matter.

(In general terms before someone gets me on the technicalities here. Its all that matters in this situation)

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

DeadFalling posted:

My question is: What's the next step for upgrading my system (Preferably cheap, obviously :p)

There's nothing reasonable to upgrade if you don't want to get new speakers and nothing is actually broken. Get some sources (CD or DVD player etc.) and enjoy what you have.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So I'm wanting to buy a nice 2.0/2.1 setup within the next week or so.

I've been reading all the threads I can and it seems the older threads from 08/09 recommend the AV40s or the A2s. They are a nice price but are they still considered the defacto budget speakers?

I'm torn between buying the AV40s and a PSW10 or going with a nice pair of monitors (such as the M-Audio BX5A) so I won't need to buy a sub (at least I hope not).

Any thoughts? It'll be used mainly to listening to music (lots 'o bass) and movies, with the occasional PS3 game.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

So I'm wanting to buy a nice 2.0/2.1 setup within the next week or so.

What's your budget? Do you want a receiver or do you intend to connect the speakers straight to TV?

e: because if you can deal with "open box" buying (which is pretty safe with speakers) and want a receiver, this Polk R300 offer is pretty drat tough to beat. Match it with an used 2.0 amp and let the music play.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 17, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The cable on my Sennheiser HD 580's has failed, with the right channel not coming through. It's not the headphones because if I plug the left channel cable into the right headphone, it works. Any suggestions for a cheap replacement? I just need something that terminates with 1/8" stereo and the cheapest replacement I found is from Sennheiser for $33 shipped.

If I get the HD 650 cable which terminates in 1/4", it's only $19 shipped. Does anyone have experience with using a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter with primarily 1/8" sources?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 17, 2011

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's your budget? Do you want a receiver or do you intend to connect the speakers straight to TV?

e: because if you can deal with "open box" buying (which is pretty safe with speakers) and want a receiver, this Polk R300 offer is pretty drat tough to beat. Match it with an used 2.0 amp and let the music play.

My current budget's $250 (or I can wait til mid-June or so when my job starts and bump my budget to $400-500). Although I do not really plan on buying all that nice stuff til I graduate and move after December.

I'm in a small apt room so I'm not sure those floor speakers would work with my current room setup. I don't mind open box stuff either, so I appreciate the link.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Josh Lyman posted:

The cable on my Sennheiser HD 580's has failed, with the right channel not coming through. It's not the headphones because if I plug the left channel cable into the right headphone, it works. Any suggestions for a cheap replacement? I just need something that terminates with 1/8" stereo and the cheapest replacement I found is from Sennheiser for $33 shipped.

If I get the HD 650 cable which terminates in 1/4", it's only $19 shipped. Does anyone have experience with using a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter with primarily 1/8" sources?

It's not that big of a deal if you use a "floppy" adapter rather than a straight, rigid one. It's extra weight and strain on the jack, so loop the cable up to relieve some of that if you can.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've got a set of the Bose Lifestyle AV20 speakers, but my the speakers are running through a Denon AVR 1804 receiver and we used to have a Polk subwoofer. My roommate just moved out so he took the Sub, but the receiver is still here, as are the speakers. I'm wondering if there is any way to hook up the Bose sub, but without using it as the receiver, as it is an all-in-one kinda deal. My roommate is convinced 100% that his receiver is 10x better than the Bose would be, so he refuses to set it up (everything is his). If anyone knows any way to set it up as just a stand alone sub, help me out!

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2011

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no dependsŪ
Are the A/V goons here currently recommending any 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. I was kind of surprised to see a huge thread about building your own speakers (far beyond my time or capabilities right now, although it looks interesting :) ) but I don't see a thread just debating what store-bought speakers provide the best overall aural experience, or the best bang for the buck.

So, my quick question: anyone have thoughts on 5.1 or 7.1 sets for $250-300 or so? Thanks!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

FunkyUnderpants posted:

So, my quick question: anyone have thoughts on 5.1 or 7.1 sets for $250-300 or so? Thanks!

Speakers only, or Home Theater in a Box?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My girlfriend's receiver stopped working (RCA RTD315WR) and I tried to use her subwoofer in my receiver. The subwoofer that came with her receiver didn't have an RCA jack or banana plugs or whatever, it just had wires coming out the back which plugged into the back of her receiver.

I tried to use the subwoofer in MY receiver, which is a decent-but-not-new 5.1 reciever (RCA RTD315WR). It has a single rca jack plug in the back for a subwoofer. I cut an RCA jack off an unused cable, split it open and attached the outside wire to one of the subwoofer wires, and the internal wire to the other subwoofer wire then plugged it in to my yamaha. Nothing happened, I ran the sound test, enabled subwoofer, etc. I made sure that the outside wire and the inside wire are not touching, etc. No, I'm not an electrician but I have fixed lots of headphone cables etc by applying the same principle.

Am I doing something wrong? are there different kinds of subwoofers? is this possibly an impedance issue? (I saw it says 3 ohms ? on the back of her speaker but there's no setting for it on my receiver)

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no dependsŪ

Hob_Gadling posted:

Speakers only, or Home Theater in a Box?

Speakers only. I just bought a VSX-1021K for $485 from amazon a couple hours ago :) Now I just need some speakers to go with it. I hope that receiver is sufficient enough that I won't have an interest in upgrading it for a long time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Your budget is wildly optimistic unless you really feel good about pairing your $500 receiver with $30 speakers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

redreader posted:

My girlfriend's receiver stopped working (RCA RTD315WR) and I tried to use her subwoofer in my receiver. The subwoofer that came with her receiver didn't have an RCA jack or banana plugs or whatever, it just had wires coming out the back which plugged into the back of her receiver.

I tried to use the subwoofer in MY receiver, which is a decent-but-not-new 5.1 reciever (RCA RTD315WR). It has a single rca jack plug in the back for a subwoofer. I cut an RCA jack off an unused cable, split it open and attached the outside wire to one of the subwoofer wires, and the internal wire to the other subwoofer wire then plugged it in to my yamaha. Nothing happened, I ran the sound test, enabled subwoofer, etc. I made sure that the outside wire and the inside wire are not touching, etc. No, I'm not an electrician but I have fixed lots of headphone cables etc by applying the same principle.

Am I doing something wrong? are there different kinds of subwoofers? is this possibly an impedance issue? (I saw it says 3 ohms ? on the back of her speaker but there's no setting for it on my receiver)

If the sub has an RCA jack (and plugs into the wall) it has it's own internal amp and just needs a signal. If the sub doesn't have a power cable of it's own, it needs an amped signal.

Similarly, unless your receiver has binding posts or a similar connection for speaker wire labelled for a sub, it's only putting out a low-level, unamped signal over it's RCA jack.

Subs without internal amps usually just come with "in a box" systems and aren't really compatble with other receivers.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

If the sub has an RCA jack (and plugs into the wall) it has it's own internal amp and just needs a signal. If the sub doesn't have a power cable of it's own, it needs an amped signal.

Similarly, unless your receiver has binding posts or a similar connection for speaker wire labelled for a sub, it's only putting out a low-level, unamped signal over it's RCA jack.

Subs without internal amps usually just come with "in a box" systems and aren't really compatble with other receivers.

Oh, interesting! So if I buy a subwoofer stand alone for $100 or so, It probably has a single rca jack and plugs into the wall? Yep, my girlfriend's sub has no wall plug. That would be it, thanks!

Mako
Apr 22, 2001

I am looking for a really nice set (2.0) of powered speakers for my office computer desk. They'll need to be small, sound good, and be attractive.

I have a really awesome home theater system and do not want to deal with an amp or sub for my office. Would like to spend somewhere between $100-350.

I'm kind of a 'reasonable audiophile', as such I like to get stuff that's high end and sounds fantastic without spending money that doesn't TRULY contribute to empirical gains in quality.

I like the look and size of the AudioEngines and do not want studio monitors. Any recommendations beside those would be appreciated.

Edit: How do Orb Audio speakers compare to AudioEngine?

Mako fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 20, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Speakers only. I just bought a VSX-1021K for $485 from amazon a couple hours ago :) Now I just need some speakers to go with it. I hope that receiver is sufficient enough that I won't have an interest in upgrading it for a long time.

You could wait for a Klipsch HD500 on sale @ Amazon, they go under $300. HD300 can be had for your budget straight away.

Alternatively, get 2 speakers now and more when you have the budget for it. This is the route to go if you intend to listen to music a lot.

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no dependsŪ

Hob_Gadling posted:

You could wait for a Klipsch HD500 on sale @ Amazon, they go under $300. HD300 can be had for your budget straight away.

Alternatively, get 2 speakers now and more when you have the budget for it. This is the route to go if you intend to listen to music a lot.

Thanks for the advice; this is more for video games (80%) and movies (20%) then music. I'm sure I'll listen to a bit of music on it but when I'm at my house I mostly just game. I listen to music at work/commuting only, as sad as that is.

I'd prefer to just get all the speakers at once, and the HD300 can probably fit tastes pretty easily. I assume the HD500's are worth the extra $$ but I probably wouldn't be able to tell. :(

Last question for someone who's never purchased a receiver/speakers separately...these aren't going to come with wiring I assume, so I should purchase some of that separately? 16 gauge should do for all connections?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Last question for someone who's never purchased a receiver/speakers separately...these aren't going to come with wiring I assume, so I should purchase some of that separately? 16 gauge should do for all connections?

All except subwoofer. You need a separate subwoofer cable for that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mako posted:

Edit: How do Orb Audio speakers compare to AudioEngine?
Orbs aren't powered and their "computer" system comes with a horrible cheap amp. I almost bought Orbs but decided the "design tax" was too high since I'd at least want Mod2s for everything and at that point I'm dealing with 4 ohm speakers which I was trying to get away from. I've heard very good things about the way they sound though.

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no dependsŪ

Hob_Gadling posted:

All except subwoofer. You need a separate subwoofer cable for that.

I went to monoprice after seeing your post, Hob and didn't see 'subwoofer cable' on the left category list so I tried searching for it. This came back. So subwoofers just use cables with RCA plugs on them or am I missing something? Is there any other name they're known by?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

FunkyUnderpants posted:

So subwoofers just use cables with RCA plugs on them

Yes.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

So I'd just ordered a set of Polk series II speakers (newegg had a crazy deal on them a couple weeks ago, $170 a piece for the monitor70's) and was all psyched to have them set up, when my current receiver (Denon AVR 591) suffered irreparable damage.

Any thoughts on a ~$500 receiver that would suit these speakers? For context, this whole set up (except the vinyl player) is part of a media center run through a computer.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

sticky wizard posted:

Any thoughts on a ~$500 receiver that would suit these speakers? For context, this whole set up (except the vinyl player) is part of a media center run through a computer.

Denon AVR-891 should sound familiar.

Also since I'm partial to Marantz: NR1601 is a wonderful little receiver.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mako
Apr 22, 2001

qirex posted:

Orbs aren't powered and their "computer" system comes with a horrible cheap amp. I almost bought Orbs but decided the "design tax" was too high since I'd at least want Mod2s for everything and at that point I'm dealing with 4 ohm speakers which I was trying to get away from. I've heard very good things about the way they sound though.

I thought the amp looked pretty bad. I'm sad to hear that in their case you can read a book by its cover. Have you ever listened to the AudioEngine A5 series? They look pretty decent and have good reviews everywhere. Are they eclipsed by something else in the price range?