Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like that Norsca feels beatable for the local order factions once they've united and destroyed their local problems like Vlad or the Skaven, feels like the first stage of turning back the tide of chaos and setup before you have to drive north into the chaos wastes themselves.

ninjahedgehog posted:

gently caress Vlad, goddamn.

Playing as Elspeth and making my push into Sylvania around turn 40 or so, and this motherfucker is by far the most annoying rear end in a top hat I've had to deal with so far. He can tank my entire gunline before he gets into melee, at which point he's basically impossible to hit because he's in the middle of my own troops. On top of that his insane regen means I can't wear him down at all, and trying to focus him down means ignoring Isabella and Ulrika and the other two vampire bitches in his goon squad as they rip up my entire frontline.

It's weird wishing he had a dragon or horse or some other mount that would conceivably make him more dangerous, but at least then my guns would have a cleaner shot on him. :argh:

I enjoyed watching a video of a streamer making a dedicated Elspeth anti-sylvania army that was all fast pistoliers, plus master engineer, engineer, and gunnery school buffs that made then impossible to catch. Then it was just a matter of kiting Vlad around for ages whittling him and his army down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Vlad should be your priority the moment your initial enemy is dead. Once he gets rolling with items and ward save and everything else, you're gonna have a bad time, at least until the gunnary school/amythest armory gets stupid.

Try to kill his army first or trap him in a settlement, and whatever you do, don't let him get into combat or he will out regen whatever you throw at him, and you will have to run him to his healing cap.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 12, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Amethyst Outriders are so so so good vs Vlad. Not because they melt him but because you can deploy them within shooting distance and then kite him very effectively for large chunks of his health.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the trick to beating Vlad as Elspeth is to hit that auto resolve button as hard as you can

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the trick to beating Vlad as Elspeth is to hit that auto resolve button as hard as you can

Tbh thats most anyone vs Vlad

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

at least she's got the lvl 12 skill or whatever where she reduces the healing cap by half, and regeneration of her own not long after.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

ninjahedgehog posted:

gently caress Vlad, goddamn.

Playing as Elspeth and making my push into Sylvania around turn 40 or so, and this motherfucker is by far the most annoying rear end in a top hat I've had to deal with so far. He can tank my entire gunline before he gets into melee, at which point he's basically impossible to hit because he's in the middle of my own troops. On top of that his insane regen means I can't wear him down at all, and trying to focus him down means ignoring Isabella and Ulrika and the other two vampire bitches in his goon squad as they rip up my entire frontline.

It's weird wishing he had a dragon or horse or some other mount that would conceivably make him more dangerous, but at least then my guns would have a cleaner shot on him. :argh:

Others noted this, but generally speaking really powerful legendary lords such as Vlad or Grimgor tend to be too much of a hassle to kill, and so your best bet to defeat them is to ignore/divert them so you can kill their army instead. Vampire Counts armies tend to be mostly trash units, and so you want to focus on killing their heroes and higher-tier infantry/monster units such as Grave Guard and Vargheists using your ranged units and artilery. If you do this without taking much damage/expending all your ammo yourself, it'll inflict the Army Losses and the rest of the army including Vlad will just disintegrate without you having to fight them.

Elspeth's magic is best for clearing out the low value/expendable units such as zombies or skeletons, since for the sake of triggering Army Losses, you want to minimize wasting bullets/arrows/artillery on those. Pistolier cavalry are so-so, but against Vampire Counts they're very helpful not only for dealing with their fast-moving units such as Dire Wolves and Fell Bats, but for kiting Vlad around since he's too slow to ever catch them (you can maybe use them to kite VC's heavy cavalry such as Black/Blood Knights, though this is risky). I tend to put them in skirmish mode, but there are times those idiots will just kite the enemy directly into my army anyway so you may want to micro-manage that by setting a control group.

In my campaign I had to fight Vlad twice, The first time was harder since it was out in the open and Elspeth didn't have her dragon mount/reduced magic costs/free Burning Head casts, but I got through it mostly unscathed aside from one unfortunate friendly fire incident involving my Helstorms doing a number on my spearmen. The artillery does all the work:

Vlad's wound recovery time is basically zero, so he quickly respawned but by then I had Elspeth on the Carmine Dragon and Vlad held up in Templehof so it was just a one-sided slaughter on my end (destroy towers, break open the gates, maybe a wall breach or two, and just stand outside since the AI never thinks to move out). 5 losses, probably all because I didn't notice an arrow tower or so:

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 12, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
campaigns I want to play but have not yet

Grimgor frees the orks
Norsca against the world
Norsca against chaos
Kislev the wall

Some tzeentch guy that isn't the changeling

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
go after vlad earlier. Turn 40 is way late. If you get bogged down and can't take him out early- to eliminate the threat, get that territory and also gold mine, it makes things way harder

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vlad's easy as elspeth, you literally have all the guns, blow the chaff to smithereens and hammer him with cannons and ironsides.

Ironsides in particular have exceptional accuracy so they're very good at shooting down lords. And with engineers you can get your cannons to very good accuracy too.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I’m just cracking up how many friendly fire casualties these rockets generate. You Empire people are monsters to your state troops.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The rockets are so bad for that

Also been noticing that the land ship can't shoot at some gates in cities very well and will always shoot at the top of the gate instead of the door.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Like everyone else I'm playing elspeth and amethyst rockets deploying mini purple suns is beyond wild. It would be thematic if elspeth could upgrade units, she currently has 4 rank 9 outrider units in her army and if anyone deserves purple magic bullets it's them.

Also, Tretch is a fuckwit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Turn 40 and fighting Vlad means you might have access to Gotrek, Felix, Ulrika, and Theodore. They don't all need to be in an army together but if you're in a situation where you can't shoot Vlad dead before he gets to your lines then some combination of those should be able to finish him off.

Also, the RoR Hochland Rifles come with shieldbreaker. Between them and the extra accuracy of ironsides shooting him should be doable.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 12, 2024

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I have a question that somehow didn't come up last time I played CDwarves. You can use allied recruitment to exceed your unit cap, which is quite useful for high-tier units, especially like Dreadquake Mortars and such. What happens to these units if you confederate the faction you recruited them from though? Do they turn into regular units and cause you to exceed your cap and prevent you from getting more until you make up the difference, or do they stay separate?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I have a question that somehow didn't come up last time I played CDwarves. You can use allied recruitment to exceed your unit cap, which is quite useful for high-tier units, especially like Dreadquake Mortars and such. What happens to these units if you confederate the faction you recruited them from though? Do they turn into regular units and cause you to exceed your cap and prevent you from getting more until you make up the difference, or do they stay separate?
I think they vanish the same way they would if the allied faction died.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it does seem like friendly fire got turned up/is considered okay and it seems like this is because it was one of the things preventing units from firing even when they had good line of sight

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

drat RIP

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure they only vanish if break your alliance with them. If the faction gets destroyed or confederated you still keep them.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Twigand Berries posted:

I’m just cracking up how many friendly fire casualties these rockets generate. You Empire people are monsters to your state troops.

Thats why you get tanks as your front line late game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I thought if the faction dies it doesn't delete units, only if you or they break the alliance?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Hunt11 posted:

I am pretty sure they only vanish if break your alliance with them. If the faction gets destroyed or confederated you still keep them.

would be good if an army that contained those troops could resurrect that faction anywhere they wanted. had to lose an ally. you can take it over and raid it so the faction comes back but that's a hassle.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Think they changed something fucky with bankruptcy attrition in 5.0. Previously, you only started attriting at the beginning of the turn you hit 0 gold, but now you start attriting if you're *going* to hit zero gold at the end of the turn. So if you have 900 gold and a 800 gold deficit, for example, and hit end turn, you don't get any replenishment at the end of your turn because the game is going to warn you *next* turn that you're gonna go in the red.

Effectively, you need two turns' worth of gold in the bank at all times or you don't get any replenishment. Kinda sucks.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Twigand Berries posted:

i don’t get why you’re having friendly fire, i don’t have troops deployed outside of the minimum range of rockets and mortars.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I think I do not like the grudge system in its current incarnation. I'm still working through my Malakai campaign, just focusing on doing his adventures, and the grudge system really discourages playing a proactive game where you focus on actual threats.

The grudge system really wants me to kill goddamn Kislev because they look some territory off the orcs and Norscans that the dwarfs seem to feel are rightfully theirs, while the loving Lord of the End Times over there has fewer grudges attached to him than a freshly spawned savage orc warboss.

Yeah that’s Warhammer Dwarves. They’re insane reactionary self defeating morons.

That’s also the fun of dwarves, for better or worse depending on preferences.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i don’t get why you’re having friendly fire, i don’t have troops deployed outside of the minimum range of rockets and mortars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love the grudge system telling me I need to fight some home brand minor faction idiot miles away for reasons I don't fully understand, and that I go and do it because you have to settle the grudges.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put the rockets close enough to the infantry to keep them inside the minimum range they also occasionally shoot your infantry in the back of the head.

Honestly rockets would be improved by giving them like, twice as much minimum range.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I think it’s because after countless campaigns slaughtering state troops by the thousands the game has decided to be helpful and let me do it during an empire campaign as well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

grimgor is lots of fun with new daddy maggot to beat up over and over again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What kind of poo poo tier empire generals are you not hitting hold fire on the hellstorms when the line connects then firing them at fleeing units. Terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With creative positioning you can only lose some of your line to friendly fire and kill the enemy even faster. It's humane really, better to get vaporised by a black hole rocket than stabbed by a skaven.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Finally started up the new dwarf campaign. Grapeshot is a hell of a drug.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OwlFancier posted:

If you put the rockets close enough to the infantry to keep them inside the minimum range they also occasionally shoot your infantry in the back of the head.

Honestly rockets would be improved by giving them like, twice as much minimum range.

Peasants are cheaper than rockets.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Empire artillery makes me want to experiment with dividing my army into specialized battalions, with artillery taking advantage of terrain with a unit or two of spears to protect it, relying on cavalry to bail it out. In practice, the AI usually just makes one giant line and smashes it into your main force, so it can actually work out. Looks scary for your battle line when they're closing though!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but if you shoot the rocket into the peasant then you are wasting both the peasant and the rocket.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Peasants are cheaper than rockets.

Empire state troops are highly trained, elite warriors that can stand up to anything the enemy can throw at them. The only men tougher might be those plucky local lads in the free companies.

If they were Bretonnians then sure hit em with the good stuff, who cares.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
So how are people playing Elspeth in the early game? I've restarted a few times but basically by the time I've wrapped up the initial Vampire minor faction and the Orcs to the south, Vlad is is already snowballing. At one point I counted him having 7 full stacks when I could support 2, of which one was chaff. Ironsides are fun and all but a bit useless when outnumbered 3-4 to 1.

Do you just ignore the Orcs and beeline straight for Sylvania?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

Empire state troops are highly trained, elite warriors that can stand up to anything the enemy can throw at them. The only men tougher might be those plucky local lads in the free companies.

If they were Bretonnians then sure hit em with the good stuff, who cares.

look at this guy over here that believed the recruiting poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

My point stands.