Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Wow this is so restomod like. This is the future I would love to live in, sadly we live in a different timeline where prius happened

Toss Redline tires on every car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

That cast-iron intake weighed a legit 80 pounds.

No joke. I probably shed 30 pounds moving to the Edelbrock on my Olds. I also have both a cast iron and a aluminum version of the Cadillac Olds 350 EFI intake, and the weight difference is astounding. One would hurt your foot if you dropped the manifold on it. The other would crush it.
Still have massive cast iron heads, though. I think most of the aluminum heads for Olds are chambered for the big blocks, which would lower my compression. 10.25:1 factory, a little bit less with the thicker Felpro head gaskets. On the other hand, lower compression just means boost-friendly!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I swapped a friends iron Olds 2 barrel 455 intake for an Edelbrock dual plane and 4 barrel carb and it lost close to fifty pounds, picked up a little bit of power, ran WAY better, and highlighted the fact that the thing still weighed well clear of 5000lbs, had four wheel drum brakes, and like 205/75-15 tires all around.

:suicide:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, they stuck a 2 barrel on a 455?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
2 barrel big blocks were a dime a dozen in the 60s, in full-size cars and trucks anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I swapped a friends iron Olds 2 barrel 455 intake for an Edelbrock dual plane and 4 barrel carb and it lost close to fifty pounds, picked up a little bit of power, ran WAY better, and highlighted the fact that the thing still weighed well clear of 5000lbs, had four wheel drum brakes, and like 205/75-15 tires all around.

:suicide:

My Cutlass originally had 4-wheel NON-POWER drums (yet has AC, and power steering, along with FE-6 suspension...) It’s under 4K pounds, but was still a handful to stop. Power discs up front, stock a-body stuff for now.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cripes, they stuck a 2 barrel on a 455?

Yep. Pretty much everything got a 2-barrel, unless it was equipped with a performance option of some sort.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spotted by a friend today:

Wheels and tires are way wrong, but I cannot hate it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Spotted by a friend today:

Wheels and tires are way wrong, but I cannot hate it.

Interesting that the (second) prototype still exists.
https://blog.consumerguide.com/what-was-the-studebaker-xuv/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

My Cutlass originally had 4-wheel NON-POWER drums (yet has AC, and power steering, along with FE-6 suspension...) It’s under 4K pounds, but was still a handful to stop. Power discs up front, stock a-body stuff for now.

Yep. Pretty much everything got a 2-barrel, unless it was equipped with a performance option of some sort.

My Chevelle had (and still has, for a few more weeks) 4-wheel unassisted drums, too. I robbed its master cylinder a few years ago to upgrade my impala to dual circuit, though. Yours is a '70? I think discs were standard in the front by '71, weren't they?

The impala is my daily driver, and it stops great with just the unassisted drums, now that I got all the air out of them. Not too great after they get some heat into them in the twisties, but they're perfectly fine for commuting.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2020

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My GP had power drums but shock horror it was impossible to find parts that were not stupid Money so I threw disc brakes on it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Interesting that the (second) prototype still exists.
https://blog.consumerguide.com/what-was-the-studebaker-xuv/

:eyepop:

I get these never produced one off concept cars that history forgot are worth less than dirt, but it's still always so weird seeing them pop up just dilapidated in the middle of what looks like a really lovely used car lot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

My Chevelle had (and still has, for a few more weeks) 4-wheel unassisted drums, too. I robbed its master cylinder a few years ago to upgrade my impala to dual circuit, though. Yours is a '70? I think discs were standard in the front by '71, weren't they?

Yep, and yep.

quote:

The impala is my daily driver, and it stops great with just the unassisted drums, now that I got all the air out of them. Not too great after they get some heat into them in the twisties, but they're perfectly fine for commuting.

Mine felt really hard. To be fair, that was the first (and only) unassisted-brake car I've owned or driven, somehow. I mean, it stopped. Hell, I locked them up when a lady made a left turn in front of me. Unfortunately, I still hit her. I actually broke the piston in the master cylinder trying to stop. The car got power discs when we rebuilt the car after the accident.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Yep, and yep.

Mine felt really hard. To be fair, that was the first (and only) unassisted-brake car I've owned or driven, somehow. I mean, it stopped. Hell, I locked them up when a lady made a left turn in front of me. Unfortunately, I still hit her. I actually broke the piston in the master cylinder trying to stop. The car got power discs when we rebuilt the car after the accident.

Aren't unassisted brakes supposed to feel hard? Whenever there's some give, it has meant that something is leaking, wasn't bled properly, or has water in it, in my experience. All the "give" in boosted brakes is from the booster, I thought. I'm coming from the opposite perspective, where I only have/drive stuff with unassisted drums, except for the occasional friend's car or whatever. To me, a rock hard pedal inspires confidence that a squishy one doesn't.

If you can lock 'em up, surely they work pretty well?

Thread content, though: the drums will be coming off the Chevelle pretty soon (meaning, like, sometime this year, lol), in favor of the hefty 4-pot Brembos I got from forums user doogle last year. Gotta get the suspension sorted out first, but it's going to be a real big upgrade I bet.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I had a 65 comet that weighed 3000 lb with 4 wheel non-power drums. That thing was hairy as hell to drive. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I actually did the engine build I wanted for it.

It was the raddest drat thing but I'm ok with having let it go.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Both my Novas had non-power drums. First one stayed that way while I DD'd it for a couple years. It had enough grab to lock up the tires so I figured they were good enough :v:. Both cars had lame Rochester 2 bbls as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Aren't unassisted brakes supposed to feel hard? Whenever there's some give, it has meant that something is leaking, wasn't bled properly, or has water in it, in my experience. All the "give" in boosted brakes is from the booster, I thought. I'm coming from the opposite perspective, where I only have/drive stuff with unassisted drums, except for the occasional friend's car or whatever. To me, a rock hard pedal inspires confidence that a squishy one doesn't.

If you can lock 'em up, surely they work pretty well?

Thread content, though: the drums will be coming off the Chevelle pretty soon (meaning, like, sometime this year, lol), in favor of the hefty 4-pot Brembos I got from forums user doogle last year. Gotta get the suspension sorted out first, but it's going to be a real big upgrade I bet.

Sorry - I mean they required much more effort than I expected. I'd only drive power break vehicles to that point, and was only 19 or 20. The brakes themselves were fine for what they were, yes. It was probably entirely my inexperience with non-assisted brakes. I only drove the car for 3 weeks like that, though that included a Spring Break road trip from DFW down to Texas A&M and back. The accident I mentioned was three weeks *to the day* after I got the car.

Those drum brakes were pretty much "meh" after one good stop, though, and LOL if you drove through a puddle.

Ironically, years later, with the power discs, I stopped *too quickly* and got smacked in the rear end by a K5 Blazer:

That dent still remains 20-something years later.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Owns

https://twitter.com/kasky90667020/status/1281239970229846023?s=19

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Tom's Castrol Supra barn find? Seriously?
This hits me right in the GranTurismo nostalgia zone.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/1998-toms-racing-toyota-supra-barn-find/

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That guy's in a street gang where they all ride Motocompos. He's the one you don't gently caress with.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Slammed trucks are so much cooler

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1282659763386568707?s=19

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hopefully GT7 brings back all the awesome mid-90s GT cars like this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Would.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Also would. Look at that yellow future spacewagon glory :allears:

https://twitter.com/uhalevi/status/1282794613057691648?s=19

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That was the car I used to beat the world cup or whatever it was called in GT1. Will always hold a special place in my heart for that.

Very cool they're going to restore it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Found this cool thing for sale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7oBgAp8W38

Ad (in Swedish): https://www.blocket.se/annons/skane/commer_1951__perfekt_firmabil_annonspelare/90864064

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dahm unboxing 6 rotor parts live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcpuOWTDoY

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

2:30 "Why did he make the side exhaust an Audi logo?"
2:45 ":aaaaa:"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoWake posted:

2:30 "Why did he make the side exhaust an Audi logo?"
2:45 ":aaaaa:"

3:40: :parrot:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Are the Project Binky guys aware of this bracketry?

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Having a "tarp" over the engine and electronics in a fake fuel jug rather than just having a cover over the whole thing is great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please tell me that's yours.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Please tell me that's yours.

Sadly not.

I don't have a good picture, but the interior was immaculate. 27k on the clock at last MOT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, that's one way to make the timing chains on the Audi V8 accessible!
I love the "AC" knob and what it actually does. That's a neat looking little truck.

Oh, wow, the hood-mounted tach.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Huh, turns out Kia bought the Elan design off Lotus in the 90s and put this concept together using basically the exact same design but somehow even cooler. I assume it still would've been FWD and about 140bhp but look at it :allears: note the split lip thing 20+ years earlier than the current design trend for it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 15, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Huh, turns out Kia bought the Elan design off Lotus in the 90s and put this concept together using basically the exact same design but somehow even cooler. I assume it still would've been FWD and about 140bhp but look at it :allears: note the split lip thing 20+ years earlier than the current design trend for it.

I'm deeply into those wheels.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Kia
even cooler

Uhm...no, having a smaller lotus esprit rear with fiat coupe front is not 'even cooler'. The whole car is out of every proportion.
It's kia after all.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Uhm...no, having a smaller lotus esprit rear with fiat coupe front is not 'even cooler'. The whole car is out of every proportion.
It's kia after all.

That username/post combo. :eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Should we tell this dude it is a car that Lotus actually released with a couple of tweaks or nah?

Lotus Elan

Kia KMS ii

The Kia looks real good in comparison.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 16, 2020