Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Nessa posted:

I love Cinccino and Dedenne. I trained a Dedenne in X, only to learn that it doesn’t get access to any good special Fairy moves. An Electric Fairy type cannot learn Dazzling Gleam. Starmie and Gengar can learn Dazzling Gleam, but not Dedenne.

They did that cute little hamster dirty.

At least it can learn Dazzling Gleam as of SwSh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It took until I sank like 6 hours into Temtem before realizing just how good the pacing in Pokemon proper is. I think you face more trainers getting to the first gym than you do in like half of a pokemon game proper. Inspired me to finally play black and white 2 at least instead...

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It took until I sank like 6 hours into Temtem before realizing just how good the pacing in Pokemon proper is. I think you face more trainers getting to the first gym than you do in like half of a pokemon game proper. Inspired me to finally play black and white 2 at least instead...

Help...me...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Siralim is a good monster raising game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

Help...me...

I really wanted to like it but, that bridge - > ruins section was just so draining and demoralizing and then people said the whole game is paced like that...

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

Help...me...

*shakily hands you a pistol* No more tears now only dreams...:sadwave:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really wanted to like it but, that bridge - > ruins section was just so draining and demoralizing and then people said the whole game is paced like that...

The whole game is not like that.

It gets worse.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

It gets worse.

H..How???

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

At one point it adds invisble trainers you can't see that just fall from the sky and the battle starts.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

It gets worse.

Man the breeding system was originally the thing keeping me away from it. How the gently caress does it get worse?!

edit:^^^^ :stonklol:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

CubeTheory posted:

At one point it adds invisble trainers you can't see that just fall from the sky and the battle starts.

dammit, cubetheory, you probably have a family or something! it's not too late to get out!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

CubeTheory posted:

excuse me what the gently caress

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The breeding system seemed fine to me on the surface, a set number of steps and resources you could invest to create a perfect IV TemTem, and then I realized the whole thing required you to get lucky with the gender coin flips and that some TemTem had like 90/10 gender splits and you had to hit the right gender in like two tries or the whole breeding chain was dead.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is that really all that different from a wild battle in pokemon?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
AMA about TemTem

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Gaius Marius posted:

Is that really all that different from a wild battle in pokemon?

You can run away from wild battles, they only occur in designated areas, they are generally quick and easy, and they can be avoided with items/abilities, so it's a little different

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Such a shame, I think the game had alot of good ideas. I liked skill cooldowns and stamina alot.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I spent a week farming for a shiny wild TemTem and still hadn't got it, then they put out a patch making shinies twice as rare.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

The breeding system seemed fine to me on the surface, a set number of steps and resources you could invest to create a perfect IV TemTem, and then I realized the whole thing required you to get lucky with the gender coin flips and that some TemTem had like 90/10 gender splits and you had to hit the right gender in like two tries or the whole breeding chain was dead.

My dude I think you've had enough....it's okay to come back to Poke tent. We have exp.candy and nature mints.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CubeTheory posted:

I spent a week farming for a shiny wild TemTem and still hadn't got it, then they put out a patch making shinies twice as rare.

As someone who's only ever gotten a wild non-event/guaranteed Shiny once in 15 years of playing pokemon, I get to point and laugh at them, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

AMA about TemTem

1) What is a "Tem"?
2) Why do I need two of them?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
TemTem evolve after leveling up X number of times instead of level X, but trainers are balanced like they caught all their TemTem at level 1, so unless you walk back to the breeding center (there is no fly) and breed every new TemTem you want to use, you will almost always be fighting evolved TemTem with your unevolved TemTem. This also means you never get to have a fun surprise moment of "What's it going to evolve into?!" because you will have fought it a dozen times before getting it yourself, including your starter.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Barudak posted:

1) What is a "Tem"?

You stay away, after Bard's Tale I feel like TemTem will be the last push that destroys your mind.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Pokemon since blue and the only shiny I've ever gotten was a loving minun. I sent that fucker to the box forever for insulting me like that.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Gaius Marius posted:

I've been playing Pokemon since blue and the only shiny I've ever gotten was a loving minun. I sent that fucker to the box forever for insulting me like that.

I have an entire team of perfect, 0 spd Iv shiny Bug Pokemon in Sw/Sh, with three extra mons I sub in sometimes, and TemTem broke me before I got a single shiny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My first proper Shiny was a Rattata in Gold. After that I think I've seen a Skarmory in RSE and... I honestly don't remember anything else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive only ever seen one wild shiny and I killed it on principle

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

I have an entire team of perfect, 0 spd Iv shiny Bug Pokemon in Sw/Sh, with three extra mons I sub in sometimes, and TemTem broke me before I got a single shiny.

This is a shame because I did like some of their designs but the game layout is so loving aggressive I can't bring myself to touch it. Like everything seems designed to be the maximum struggle.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
At one point they take away some of your HM equivalents during a story event and then never give one back and it's been like a year in early access where if you play too far into the story you're just locked out of places and chests you could get previously

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shinies should really be more common or they're just wasting the time spent re-coloring those buggers. A bump from fuckin' 0.01% to 10% would allow everyone to have some shinies without making them too common. Though I'm of the opinion that they should be more like 25%.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If ya'll take away nothing else, then take away this:

TemTem seems like it's an attempt at an honest to god Pokemon competitor and not just another grim dark Pokemon fan game that supposes things like 'what if the game were hard and had a million trainers' or 'what if pokemon did murder'. The unfortunate truth is that it is, in fact, a grim dark fan game in which they made everything hard and the TemTem do murder. As far as we know with the story so far in early access, the rival is currently murdered by the Team Rocket leader equivalent, after he joined Team Rocket, but refused to join in on the literal war they started and are massacring villages during

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

If ya'll take away nothing else, then take away this:

TemTem seems like it's an attempt at an honest to god Pokemon competitor and not just another grim dark Pokemon fan game that supposes things like 'what if the game were hard and had a million trainers' or 'what if pokemon did murder'. The unfortunate truth is that it is, in fact, a grim dark fan game in which they made everything hard and the TemTem do murder. As far as we know with the story so far in early access, the rival is currently murdered by the Team Rocket leader equivalent, after he joined Team Rocket, but refused to join in on the literal war they started and are massacring villages during

This seems to be the main problem with a lot of pokemon competitors. They literally can't resist going full grim dark. You sprinkle that bit in for flavoring not drown your product in it geez!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've said this before, but you cannot write a serious drama filled story when your main form of combat is getting squirrels to fight each other.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

I've said this before, but you cannot write a serious drama filled story when your main form of combat is getting squirrels to fight each other.

Yu-Gi-Oh begs to differ. :smuggo:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zuzie posted:

Technically Shin Megami Tensei? I'm sure there's a squirrel based demon in there somewhere.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think one could really do a serious Pokemon story without confronting the fact that it's somewhere between slave labor and dog fighting.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I don't think one could really do a serious Pokemon story without confronting the fact that it's somewhere between slave labor and dog fighting.

Well Gen 5 kinda sorta did.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

Oh, like Colosseum

Barudak posted:

1) What is a "Tem"?

:tem::tem:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vegetable posted:

Sun and Moon did it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Vandar posted:

Sun and Moon did it just fine.

Lusamine in Sun and Moon had some very good points. "How is me freezing the pokemon for all eternity any different than them being stuck in a PC?"