Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JBP posted:

Empire state troops are highly trained, elite warriors that can stand up to anything the enemy can throw at them. The only men tougher might be those plucky local lads in the free companies.

If they were Bretonnians then sure hit em with the good stuff, who cares.

Still cheaper than the rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mean, there's a reason why in the fluff, Ulric was steadily getting displaced by Myrmidia as the Empire's main war god(dess). Ulric's approach as the god of war is 'hit em with an axe until they stop moving.' Myrmidia's approach is 'Have a good plan and kill them with the best tool for the job.'

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

So how are people playing Elspeth in the early game? I've restarted a few times but basically by the time I've wrapped up the initial Vampire minor faction and the Orcs to the south, Vlad is is already snowballing. At one point I counted him having 7 full stacks when I could support 2, of which one was chaff. Ironsides are fun and all but a bit useless when outnumbered 3-4 to 1.

Do you just ignore the Orcs and beeline straight for Sylvania?

How long did it take you to wipe out the minors? I cleaned them up and moved for Vlad before he had 5 or so stacks and it was pretty easy to wipe them out. They also really only have one good stack (Vlads) and the rest tend to be swarms of zombies. I didn't really have a secondary stack either, but caught Vlad out in a decent position and then wiped out several stacks one by one.

Two mortars and two Black Roses should help immensely in terms of punching above your weight. I only had one of the Roses and with a second could have done much better, I think. They are just so good against anything early VCounts are going to bring en masse. Same with mortars, they will chew up zombie and skeleton hordes.

Pistoliers help a ton by breaking up the enemy advance and making some chase you. They can also do pretty well against dogs and can definitely make dogs chase them instead of slamming into your more vulnerable troops. Later on Amethyst Outriders are incredibly good at doing the same if given even an ounce of space to work.

I had Pfieldorf by turn...6 or 7? I know I had a second tiny stack recruiting mortars and my Black Rose from the Garden of Morr I'd built while I was taking it. I demolished the starting infantry building in Nuln and built the 2nd tier gun and cavalry buildings and built a Militia of Morr asap. I put it in Nuln but in retrospect whichever town is closest to Pfieldorf might have been better, but either way not a big deal.

But most importantly, early mortars and early Black Roses. I'm pretty sure two Black Roses could solo a full stack of zombies. Momentum is huge in the early game so Vlad ballooning could also just be a consequence of early RNG, but also moving slowly in terms of early conquest.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
What are people's favourite factions for longer campaigns?

I'm just finishing up a Wood Elves / Sisters run and I'm surprised and impressed by how long it's remained fun - you get to play settlement-gifting World Police across the entire map at your leisure while also building up the forests for their unique rituals. There's always somewhere to go and you never feel overstretched or bogged down in town upgrades.

My only complaint is that all of our heroics are going to end on a slightly sour note as we unexpectedly turn on our longterm allies in Ulthuan and beat them up for the crime of possessing a forest right in the middle where I can't get to it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

grimgor is lots of fun with new daddy maggot to beat up over and over again

Only big annoyance is the terrain type. You'll play a whole campaign in Red habitability if you go along that front - I just wrapped up a Grimgor run that kept getting wardec'd up there that really sucked when I just wanted to do the VCO objectives to the South!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

grobbo posted:

I'm just finishing up a Wood Elves / Sisters run and I'm surprised and impressed by how long it's remained fun - you get to play settlement-gifting World Police across the entire map at your leisure while also building up the forests for their unique rituals. There's always somewhere to go and you never feel overstretched or bogged down in town upgrades.

My only complaint is that all of our heroics are going to end on a slightly sour note as we unexpectedly turn on our longterm allies in Ulthuan and beat them up for the crime of possessing a forest right in the middle where I can't get to it.

I forget what triggers it but there is an event that causes the tree to be destroyed for lack of a better word and you can grab it for free.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grobbo posted:

Slaanesh is probably my favorite long campaign. I love hammer-and-anvil tactics, and with the WoC DLC Slaanesh gets excellent examples of both. I also kind of adore the seduction mechanic letting me readily subvert former good guy nations and adding them to my forces - there's a reason I tend to call Sisters of Avelorn honorary Slaanesh units.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

So how are people playing Elspeth in the early game? I've restarted a few times but basically by the time I've wrapped up the initial Vampire minor faction and the Orcs to the south, Vlad is is already snowballing. At one point I counted him having 7 full stacks when I could support 2, of which one was chaff. Ironsides are fun and all but a bit useless when outnumbered 3-4 to 1.

First you shoot the minor vampire faction, then you shoot the orcs, then you shoot Vlad and after that you shoot the rest of the world imo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

garden of morr with the recruitment building. full stack immediately. wipe out the minor vampire. second stack immediately. wipe out vlad. consider a third stack to defend. my composition at this point is 4 ironsides and the rest mortars. if i can get rockets i get rockets. if i can get cannons then i swap half mortars for cannons. engineer in every army. bring a pet witch hunter. elspeth spams life leach on enemy leaders until she gets her dragon

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

grobbo posted:

dark elves due to different positions and a nice wide roster

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In the early game, every single empire unit is individually better than every single vampire unit-- much more so with the redline boosts. If you have handgunners, your units are also able to focus down the handful of starter monsters. The one thing that's difficult to deal with is the lords/heroes, which again if you have handguns you can probably handle.

Later on, every single empire unit is worse than every single vampire unit, so you're always at a disadvantage. You need to work a lot harder just to overcome a base line of grave guards with a handful of vargheists. But a line of skellingtons backed up by bats? Easily handled.

So when you're dealing with undead armies in the early game, generally you can safely autoresolve in the early game because zombies and skellingtons are bullshit units that may as well not be a factor to the AR calculations. You might want to manually fight a battle to clear Vlad's starter monsters, but because of your individual units' advantages vampires generally need to have a numerical advantage to best you in the early game so you can probably just bring two armies of spears and crossbows with a handful of handguns and win handily. Bring artillery to one-turn walled settlements.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 13, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

What am I going to use today

medusa

hydra

bunch of lizards

the choices are endless

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wood Elves are cool. The one frustration I had was that I wish you could do multiple rituals at once.

Which Greenskin faction is the most fun in IE? I did a Grom campaign back in game 2, and I think I’m just going to do him again.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

skarsnik is in a rough place due to all of the slayers

grimgor is fun but you are stuck there for a bit until you get black orks

azhag is here

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skarsnik is in a rough place due to all of the slayers

grimgor is fun but you are stuck there for a bit until you get black orks

azhag is here

Are you running cost based army caps still?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Finally got back into the campaign by buying the DLC and launching my very first Daniel campaign.

Look, the journey of 100% cheevos starts with a single step. And with his starting position for IE he's in a lot better shape to muck about with and have a good time. I like that the first few glories make it very quick and very possible to pair nurgle wings and at one of at least 2 tails for a passive 30-50 damage per second to the unit you're fighting. Sacking stuff to Tzentch, getting summons and fast winds recharge steroids, slapping a nurgle arm on for Stream of Corruption let me barely pull a win against two Boris stacks. Lightning struck his generic twice to clean them out and then defended against Boris with a corner camp and Dan doing winged kiting, streaming fools that stopped to shoot. It's a real nail biter to cycle a mostly T1-2 chaos army of lovely demons and marauders while you empty 100 winds into the advancing wall of doom. I did have access to RoR units but funds are low when you're starting with a faction that fights for piecemeal provinces across stretched out land. The key difference is I got the RoR Aspiring Champions who could take Boris in a fight.

Some tactical reserves holding and retreat cycling let me stay alive longer than they did and once I broke Boris's back he never recovered. I caught Archaon marching across my land to try and snipe Boris's last settlements after I recovered so I intercepted and wiped him out, mopped up Boris's holdouts and took the first Archaon settlement that he walked back to with a shittier stack that I dropkicked with my RoR reinforcements. It's amazing how many campaigns I run where I never build a single recruitment building for the first 50 turns. My map color is starting to solidify and I've got second army positive income going so aside from the next Big Fish(looks like Chorfs) I'm on a steamroll.

If you were soured on Daniel in the first year of WH3 and largely RoC only bullshit I suggest giving him another look. Hot-swapping my body parts for the need of the next fight is pretty fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Are you running cost based army caps still?

Most of the time. I just did a grimgor game without it and lol gently caress being near anything chaos.

I am still setting it as a low cap where the enemy gets 1K more than I do.

Also, it still bugs out during certain quest pop ups. Military Alliance Outpost popup is one of them. So you save before it, disable it, continue the turn, then enable it again. Kinda sucks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Most of the time. I just did a grimgor game without it and lol gently caress being near anything chaos.

I am still setting it as a low cap where the enemy gets 1K more than I do.

Also, it still bugs out during certain quest pop ups. Military Alliance Outpost popup is one of them. So you save before it, disable it, continue the turn, then enable it again. Kinda sucks.

Yeah hopefully new dude who took over mod can fix that. Really weird bug, only reason Im not running it still

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh god is there a new person?

It was jadawin, then wolfy, and I can't find a new third guy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

hahah lets go

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Reduced movement speed is dumb, but without graphical effects these seasons will be very annoying I would imagine

Sign me up!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it even nerfs lizards during the winter so just lol

here have this instead

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I mean, there's a reason why in the fluff, Ulric was steadily getting displaced by Myrmidia as the Empire's main war god(dess). Ulric's approach as the god of war is 'hit em with an axe until they stop moving.' Myrmidia's approach is 'Have a good plan and kill them with the best tool for the job.'

also because the empire is full of simps.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh god is there a new person?

It was jadawin, then wolfy, and I can't find a new third guy.

poo poo, no I was thinking of Unit Caps for All which is also abandoned!

We need a hero modder to fix Cost-Based Caps to not break scripts!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My favorite Azhag line is in one of his quest battles, where says if you accidentally summon a weird creature after messing with artifacts, it's your problem to deal with.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
azhag the community oriented

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I just got to turn 65 with her on VH/VH last night. I did get some luck in that somehow Durthu didn't get Gristle Point or w/e (the settlement southwest of Nuln's province) and instead the starting VCounts faction had it. So in addition to getting Pfeildorf, I got Gristle Point off the starting faction and was able to trade it to Durthu for all kinds of pacts and alliances.

Vlad does pop off aggressively, but you have a few buffer Empire provinces (The Moot, Averheim, Talabecland) and in my experience he tends to go for these first instead of crossing them to you. So what worked for me was sending Elspeth into Sylvania prior to war dec'cing Vlad. I used Elspeth to take whatever territories I could safely, always sacking and not occupying unless I had total vision and assurance that I wasn't going to get 3 armies back onto the occupied settlement during the end turn. Then my second army would stay between Pfeildorf and Averheim to try to pick off any attacking armies from Vlad. Ample use of ambush stance (there's plenty of forests in the Empire so it was pretty easy to get 80%+ ambush, even without skills/items/ancilliaries) was a must. Eventually I had defeated enough armies that the two could start seizing Sylvania for real. Vlad respawns quick but after his first defeat he's not too bad as the heroes are probably dead and he may be split from Isabella. Either way after his first death he'll usually only have crapstacks and be much easier to deal with. I was able to get Sylvania fully wiped by turn 35 or so.

In battle, I would say in the early game you have the advantage in regular troops but Vlad has the advantage in lords and heroes. Even a single basic vampire lord or hero is very capable of trashing Elspeth or your starting engineer in melee very easily. So I just try and delay, delay, delay Vlad and his vampires, instead just trying to collapse the army through massive casualties on the rank and file units.

My last piece of advice is that Elspeth's starting province or Pfeildorf seem to tend towards negative winds of magic generation. So try and use channeling stance as you can in the early game b/w settlements otherwise you can bump into Vlad with 20 or less total WoM.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Ungrim killed Vlad before I could even war dec him lol. I'm really struggling to find someone to fight, Karl is huge and south is looking very Ordertide-y also. I might have to start another campaign as this is getting pretty boring, being surrounded by friendlies in all directions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

boo boo bear posted:

azhag the community oriented

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Other than Vlad it is a pretty cozy start. Karl's got your north and west borders locked down, south and east is framed by Belegar, Zhufbar and Ungrim who are all easy enough to ally with as Empire. I'm basically moved on to restoring destroyed Kislev by killing Throt and Azazel and having a freelance army help Karl with his war against Norsca. It's definitely unique in the sense that I don't think I have a single hostile faction within 5 turns of my home province which is nice. No need to pay for a small garrison-boost army at home and lots more free slots that usually would be walls. The second is really nice since there's a ton of trade resources in Empire so you can really max economy out knowing you're safe

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Well that was fast. If you stay Undivided and take the Tzeentch and Undivided skills for diplomacy you end up with incredible control for stable borders. I've got Epidemius, Tamurkhan and Norsca shielding my heartland for miles around and the Chorfs like/tolerate me. Everybody but Valkia lost their respective thunderdomes, I merc'd Archaon and I'm on my way to the far west while obliterating the Delf chumps in my way. Why fight when you can think?

:laffo: That's one VH down in a single day pretty much, just the padding of painting the map for 80 settlements.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Double Bill posted:

Ungrim killed Vlad before I could even war dec him lol. I'm really struggling to find someone to fight, Karl is huge and south is looking very Ordertide-y also. I might have to start another campaign as this is getting pretty boring, being surrounded by friendlies in all directions.

They're only friendly as long as you want them to be.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

JBP posted:

They're only friendly as long as you want them to be.

When in doubt, invade Ulthuan.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I tried to take a single stack of dwarves to go help out Zhufbar vs the vampires (as Thorgrim). Fuckers actually moved all 7 stacks over to attack it.

I killed all their good units so my second stack cleaned up easily when it went back like 10 turns later, but holy poo poo. They really do spam out infantry now for some reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

dogstile posted:

I tried to take a single stack of dwarves to go help out Zhufbar vs the vampires (as Thorgrim). Fuckers actually moved all 7 stacks over to attack it.

I killed all their good units so my second stack cleaned up easily when it went back like 10 turns later, but holy poo poo. They really do spam out infantry now for some reason.

I really like it. I lost some ground to them as Karl then slowly had to roll them back from Altdorf. Some of the battles were absolutely ludicrous. Reiksguard knights absolutely mince undead infantry of every variety though, so it was epic cavalry charges all round before the RoR landship came online halfway to Drakenhof.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like tzeentch warriors

I like the colors
I like the weapons
I like the armor detail

I hate playing any tzeentch in this game

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

look at this guy over here that believed the recruiting poster

You're a very gifted recruit, my lad, if only we had more like you! I'm sending you straight to the PFI.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like tzeentch warriors

I like the colors
I like the weapons
I like the armor detail

I hate playing any tzeentch in this game

i love tzeentch and love to play em

its just a shame their new guy is changeling who sucks and is super boring, kairos owns he just has a bad starting postiion but thats easily modded

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Is there a mod that makes the changeling have a lose condition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Started a Kostalyn campaign and stomp my way to Kislev to see that "you can't declare war on that faction." Oops. Time for another Katarin campaign if I gotta do the full marathon, lol. I've got a VH win from the RoC days already but I need to get the big 3 and let Boris out of his glacier.