Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So huge decals seem to be a thing again? I'm not sure if you can get them as big as before, but it looks to me like max size was definitely bumped up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
lets compare the size of the decals, pre-nerf vs now

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Out of morbid curiosity, given that I've not touched the game in months, what is the state of the game currently?

Did they ever fix people in Ground Forces basically turning off literally everything graphical and being able to snipe you through dense forests from half way across the map?

Edit: Also why the hell is my Tiger fighting PT-76's?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 8, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They're at 5.7. Paper thin armour but 200mm Heat-FS.

Still undertiered considering equivalent US light tanks are 6.3 and up...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I accidentally took my zis-30 into a 6.7 match and still got 5 kills. Those panthers must have been so mad

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you climb properly? I'm really getting sick and tired of every single game going up against laggs in my Buffalo and welp they are way higher than me every single time? What do you even do in that situation? You fly at them, you die cause they have a massive advantage, you run, you die because they dive and gain speed.

If i fly way out to the side I'm then on my own with nothing I can do solo vs the rest of the enemy. I really just don;t get how planes work.

E: Again. I spend the whole round climbing and STILL theres someone higher than me and I get instakilled? Like it's just not at all clear what is actually going on?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 8, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If you fly off to the side you will eventually be solo with like 3k more alt than them. That said yeah I find planes hard when not teamed, so.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got the PT-76 and it is one of the saddest vehicles in this game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The decal size nerf was seriously probably the most retardedly unnecessary thing Gaijin has done.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Fauxtool posted:

I accidentally took my zis-30 into a 6.7 match and still got 5 kills. Those panthers must have been so mad

The Zis-30 works surprisingly well against higher tier German tanks, since they lack a good MG. A Zis-30 is going to get torn apart by American .50s though.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
With the PT-76, the terrible most obvious stats like 42km/h top speed and underpowered engine, coupled with literally non-existing armour and lacklustre gun seduce one to think "Aha, surely there's going to be some hidden qualities that will somehow make it shine". One is led to almost expect it to be good because it surely can't be as bad as it sounds.

But it's even worse than it sounds.

You REALLY feel the 4 degree depression (more like full blown depressed breakdown after 5 missions but that's besides the point) as well as the 13.6 degree turret rotation speed (walker bulldog turns it at 25.2 degrees/sec) when trying to quickdraw against whatever you end up against, hoping you surely will get off the disabling shot on their gunner before they trash your non-armour.

You REALLY feel the 42km/h maximal top speed, coupled 6km/h backwards speed, when attempting to flank and surviving through dodging the oncoming fire.

You REALLY feel the silhouette comparable in size to that of an IS-1, composed of 10-15mm plates, held together by self pity and spite, protecting the lonesome three brothers damned to drive the fastest ride to hell.

Even if the gun was some sort of a saving grace (and it really isn't), the issue is you are likely very very dead before you find an adequate enemy in your sights.

And the fact that it's a vehicle with which they made all these highly questionable design choices just to make it buoyant and capable of floating, while it doesn't even float in the game, makes me believe Gaijin might have introduced it as nothing but a cruel, cruel joke.

If we get conspirational, it might be a clever way of decreasing the overall average effectiveness of Soviet teams at the tier.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you climb properly? I'm really getting sick and tired of every single game going up against laggs in my Buffalo and welp they are way higher than me every single time? What do you even do in that situation? You fly at them, you die cause they have a massive advantage, you run, you die because they dive and gain speed.

If i fly way out to the side I'm then on my own with nothing I can do solo vs the rest of the enemy. I really just don;t get how planes work.

E: Again. I spend the whole round climbing and STILL theres someone higher than me and I get instakilled? Like it's just not at all clear what is actually going on?

Laggs are really bad and lovely planes. In a Buffalo, pay attention to your surroundings, evade the poor Lagg with your superior turning ability and watch him either lawndart, burn all their energy in a turn or fly away in a straight line for 5 minutes.

More generally, 15 degree climb with WEP not into the center of the map is the way to go. Some planes just climb better than others, learn to deal with that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

PT-76 still isn't worse than the ISU-122.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lassitude posted:

gently caress yeah it is.

I mean, you shoot something with the ISU-122, it's just dead. ISU-122 also can't die to getting strafed by biplanes (SU-76 literally can). ISU-122 also can go backwards so some basic peek-a-boo actually works on it.

Teal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 8, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Laggs are really bad and lovely planes.

Laggs are bad the way muscle-cars are bad. Sure, with proper driving you'll beat a musclecar but something about them just loving makes sense. Also war crimes of crushing lovely biplanes with your 20mm.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Teal posted:

gently caress yeah it is.

I mean, you shoot something with the ISU-122, it's just dead. ISU-122 also can't die to getting strafed by biplanes (SU-76 literally can). ISU-122 also can go backwards so some basic peek-a-boo actually works on it.

The 122 isn't even close to a guaranteed kill. That's the 152 you're thinking about.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

122 APHE fucks most things.

Does the PT's postwar HEAT not do hilarious postwar HEAT things to enemy tanks?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

mlmp08 posted:

Laggs are bad the way muscle-cars are bad. Sure, with proper driving you'll beat a musclecar but something about them just loving makes sense. Also war crimes of crushing lovely biplanes with your 20mm.

Oh absolutely, but when you get shot down by a stupid sexy Lagg it is almost 100% your own fault.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lassitude posted:

The 122 isn't even close to a guaranteed kill. That's the 152 you're thinking about.

Whatever survives the hit usually isn't in the shape to fight back nor escape for at the very least a whole minute.

spectralent posted:

Does the PT's postwar HEAT not do hilarious postwar HEAT things to enemy tanks?

Well, I got that ammo, tried it in testing match and got the impression it might.

Then I took it to a match, fired dead on on the front hull of a Bulldonger. His driver took a nap and he proceeded to oneshot me.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK the PT-76 HEAT is actually pretty funny.

It either penetrates and does absolutely nothing, or turns the enemy into confetti with a single shot.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BBJoey posted:

what'd you say, anyway

The climbing angle isn't constant, just look at your speed. Most experienced players tend to climb around 275-300ish kmh. You can go above or below this range but keep in mind that you limit your options the slower you go and depending on the plane you will either increase or decrease your climbrate/cooling rates. Some planes will overheat or begin to stall if you push them too hard for too long.

As for seeing other players higher than you, just assume this is going to happen. While its nice to be the single highest player in the game, what ends up happening to people that do this is they climb to space and their entire team dies then they get hosed over trying to dive into a pit of hungry and angry players that are all focused entirely on them. At this point they better have excellent aim/ammo management skills or a lot of fuel to survive the round if the enemy team is at all competent enough to simply stay out of AAA.

Climbrate is generally very overrated and isn't the deciding factor as much as people like to think it is unless all they do is simply take off and fly straight to the center of the map. But when you have a nice combo of things that work in many situation you'll see certain planes outshining others, like Spitfires with their great climbrate are also excellent turnfighters so it isn't just a matter of getting above you and BnZing like a Tigercat. There's so many god drat variables to this game on the plane side that no single thing is going to carry anyone. While there is arguably a "right" and most efficient move to make in any given situation, the cool thing about flying in the big huge loving sky is that you have options and the only limits are the moves that the planes involved in the furball can make. It's like a fluid game of chess where the pieces are responsible for their own actions and aren't limited to a square grid.

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 8, 2015

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay the HEAT shell kidnapped my family and is threatening that if I don't take everything I said about PT-76 back, it will put them all into a Tiger H and blow them up.

The HEAT shell turns the PT-76 into a comedy cannon that keeps oneshotting things while keeping 5.6s reload time. It's loving stupid and retarded and now I love this thing.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
HEAT is the best once you get used to not aiming for weakspots in the armor and instead aiming for the most critically vulnerable internals. Ammo, fuel, crew, it will reach in and punch them all.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, my initial impression of the PT-76 (and I don't have it yet) was "Ahaha what? This is a loving dumb tank. Wait, it gets postwar HEAT at BR 5.7? :stare:". I think that tank's going to live or die based on it's unlockable ammo.

EDIT: Still not coming back until brits are in game properly though, vision changes are dumb and unfun and given the amount of games WT expects you to play now I just can't bring myself to care enough. When the Challenger or Comet's in, though...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I thought I'd lost my ability to aim after a 6 month WT hiatus but turns out they just turned off hit indicators completely.

What else changed in planes besides that and visibility?

What do those symbols on enemy tags mean?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I thought I'd lost my ability to aim after a 6 month WT hiatus but turns out they just turned off hit indicators completely.

No they didn't I guess you're just missing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I feel like the brits are going to be too frustrating to play based on the fact they only seem to get AP and APDS until (probably) post war stuff.

Imagine playing the Sherman without APHE and the Pershing without M82 ammo and that's what I'm expecting for Brits :saddowns:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
e: doublepost

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Teal posted:

Whatever survives the hit usually isn't in the shape to fight back nor escape for at the very least a whole minute.

I wish. I just spaded the first 122 and there were plenty of deaths where I put a round through them, knocked out a ton of stuff, but their crew repositions before my reload ends and if I don't have something to run behind I'm a fish in a barrel. Easily my least favorite Soviet vehicle at this point, although to be fair I haven't used the PT-76 yet.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

mlmp08 posted:

No they didn't I guess you're just missing.

:O

I will let you know that I got 5 kills in my beautiful lovely Lagg, thank you very much, I will furthermore fight you IRL.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Figure out the "lines" ie: the area where your team tends to hit the enemy, and hang around there. You won't be an easy target, since your team can pick off baddies who dive on you. If you find you are too low, fly towards spawn a bit, and fly a big spiral upwards, one that turns you back towards the enemy, until you are higher then the enemy.

Don't get fixated on an enemy and follow them behind the "line", look for opportunities to pounce, and run away when you get attention.

This way, you aren't too high to engage enemies, you support your team, and you have friendlies to watch your tail.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lassitude posted:

I wish. I just spaded the first 122 and there were plenty of deaths where I put a round through them, knocked out a ton of stuff, but their crew repositions before my reload ends and if I don't have something to run behind I'm a fish in a barrel. Easily my least favorite Soviet vehicle at this point, although to be fair I haven't used the PT-76 yet.

Tried playing ground forces after the patch with some friends, snuck up on a wirblewind with my SU-122, he turns and gets about 3 shots off at me with his 20mms while I'm aiming, I fire and....my breach explodes! gently caress that back to planes.

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013

Lassitude posted:

The ISU-122 is kind of bad and its only redeeming quality is that its BR is 5.7, the ISU-122S though has actual use.
The armor is a tiny bit better and the gun is a different 122mm that takes ~8 seconds less to reload, with a fully skilled loader and expert crew you can fire off a shot every ~16 seconds.

The ISU-152 though, that one is fairly worthless outside of short range shots where you ammo rack a KT through its front armor using HEAT.

PT-76 is a great comedy glass cannon, but sadly its not amphibious yet although Gaijin did say they're planning on adding that functionality to it so theres a chance it will end up being able to get up to all sorts of silly lake/river shenanigans on some maps.
Granted I'm looking forward to it because I'm expecting them to cock it up and we end up with PT-76 submarines that just drive underwater like the M22s used to be able to.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I feel like the brits are going to be too frustrating to play based on the fact they only seem to get AP and APDS until (probably) post war stuff.

Imagine playing the Sherman without APHE and the Pershing without M82 ammo and that's what I'm expecting for Brits :saddowns:

I thought so but solid shot is now kicking up way more shrapnel than it used to be. It might attenuate at high crew skill but at least at relatively low tiers, I found solid shots pretty useful.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mr Chips posted:

I guess I'm just some sort of bomb dodging savant then. In an open field at speed, it's easy to dodge a single <= 500kg bomb once you've figured out the trajectory. On maps like Kuban or Berlin, you can easily avoid them by using the terrain and buildings around the capture points.

Same here.

99% of the time I just hit the brakes and reverse, meaning the bomb lands 100-200m in front of me and explodes without so much as a dented fender. If I can see where the bomber is coming from, I will usually turn towards him and the same thing happens behind me. The additional second or two will just mean that I have that extra margin of safety. Really the only time I get bombed is when a heavy spams the area with 1000lb bombs and there is no clear way out or the guy is some sort of mind-reader and releases from 10,000 feet and it somehow lands on my turret despite me having a full 30 seconds of travel time and multiple changes in direction. (are JDAMs available?)

Still trying to find some sort of happy medium with the graphical settings. It seems every time a building collapses or a tank gets close I drop from 40fps down to 10 for a while. Is there some setting that I can chop that I won't notice by will make a huge difference? I want nice FPS, but I also don't want this looking like an early 2000's game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm a bomb dropping savant and I'm happy most pilots are poo poo about bombdrops. Have any of you bought brit tanks, or seen them more than a handful of matches since they went live? I mainly do T34 spam and I've seen the Achilles twice, that's it for brit tank sightings.

The A-13 in test makes a T50 comparable speedcapper on straights but turns like it's a four engine bomber.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 9, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wait, planes in arcade can't explode from going 900kmh and can fly with half a wing missing and no effect, but can knock their pilot out with a high speed turn?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Managed to pull off my first last man standing win in ages, required :pilot: poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OeQ4zZuiHM

Music is a bit loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
drat

• Locked thread