Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It will blast me with advertisements because I had the audacity to use discord. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It will blast me with advertisements because I had the audacity to use discord. That sucks.

True but I doubt Discord Nitro was gonna keep them afloat forever. :capitalism: unfortunately.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Then they should distribute a Totally-Not-IRC server to go along with the Totally-Not-IRC client I already downloaded - I didn't need or want their hosting anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

John Murdoch posted:

Plus it'll include a universal launcher function that will scrape your machine for all available games and do the hard work for you

That's more of an argument against than in its favour — I really wish fewer apps did this since they all invariably end up failing to do any useful work whatsoever other than demand constant updates to be able to misidentify even more games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Then they should distribute a Totally-Not-IRC server to go along with the Totally-Not-IRC client I already downloaded - I didn't need or want their hosting anyway.

Another option would be to have a DiscordLite available that was just classic Discord without the game launcher and storefront, but regardless of what you and I would prefer they want to get paid, and there's only so many ways to do that, especially when your app is free.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Another option would be to have a DiscordLite available that was just classic Discord without the game launcher and storefront, but regardless of what you and I would prefer they want to get paid, and there's only so many ways to do that, especially when your app is free.
Yeah I'm not confused by their decision, I just don't like it. A third option is a third party makes a client that interoperates with discord without all the nonsense (premium emojis are already pretty silly).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yeah I'm not confused by their decision, I just don't like it. A third option is a third party makes a client that interoperates with discord without all the nonsense (premium emojis are already pretty silly).

Tbf I have many times thought about subbing to Nitro solely for the ability to use all the wacky SA emojis across all discord channels. I'm part of the problem. :negative:

Like the SA PUBG discord channel has some loving great ones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Tbf I have many times thought about subbing to Nitro solely for the ability to use all the wacky SA emojis across all discord channels. I'm part of the problem. :negative:

Like the SA PUBG discord channel has some loving great ones.
Yeah I'm on a bunch of SA discords and it's not like I remember which ones are on which discord. It's definitely tempting for that. Is there a cap on the number of emojis a discord can have? Maybe we can make a script for discord owners to automatically package and upload all of the SA ones.

Someone did it for pidgin(which...seems to have a rudimentary discord plugin) back in the day but that's easier since it was just client-side.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Not only do most people already use Discord, but at this point more people taking a crack at Steam's market share is only a good thing. Plus it'll include a universal launcher function that will scrape your machine for all available games and do the hard work for you, which will help take the sting out of using "yet another launcher".

Yeah, this is the first one of these "new launcher" things where I might actually migrate over. If they do a deal like let me keep my Steam library in the transition I might make the jump.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, this is the first one of these "new launcher" things where I might actually migrate over. If they do a deal like let me keep my Steam library in the transition I might make the jump.

I mean you will be able to launch Steam games from their launcher but there's no way they'll give you the games on their service just because you already have them on another.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

trip report: :gizz:

bonus trip report: :peanut:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is this a game you gotta know computers and coding for or is it abstracted in such a way that anyone can make sense of it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

Is this a game you gotta know computers and coding for or is it abstracted in such a way that anyone can make sense of it?

column A and column B

Knowing programming skills will help you, but it's a very simple instruction set that you can treat as like shorthand for a flowchart of behaviors for your little EXA units.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
its coding, but pared right back to the core basics. the zine even includes a handy beginners guide!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Less abstracted than you're probably hoping for but simple enough to pick up the basics quickly enough.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If they let you run your own server there's no way for them to Big Data every word you've ever seen or said.

DrNutt posted:

I mean you will be able to launch Steam games from their launcher but there's no way they'll give you the games on their service just because you already have them on another.

GOG does for some games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So why did Steam Machines fail and could they have possibly succeeded of executed correctly?

Orv
May 4, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So why did Steam Machines fail and could they have possibly succeeded of executed correctly?

No one wanted them and Steam more or less immediately dropped support for them, even going so far as to just straight up ghost a couple of the manufacturers, the moment they realized that.

And in the way they were presented, a Steam OS console for your PC games, no probably not.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's also possible Valve saw the immediate failure of the Windows app store and Windows RT and realized Steam Machines weren't quite so necessary as they initially thought.

They're still paying people to work on Steam for Linux and Linux itself so who knows if that's institutional inertia or they're hedging their bets.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

punk rebel ecks posted:

They were a solution in need of a problem based on a hunch that Gabe Newell had about computer buying habits in the US from his career at Microsoft. What he didn't understand was that the Xbox existed. To be successful he should have launched steam machines in the year 2000.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

punk rebel ecks posted:

because they cost more than a console and ran only linux games years before unity made linux support easy so they didnt even have a better library than a console

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

They were a solution in need of a problem based on a hunch that Gabe Newell had about computer buying habits in the US from his career at Microsoft. What he didn't understand was that the Xbox existed. To be successful he should have launched steam machines in the year 2000.

This take is completely wrong -- everything Valve has been doing lately is based around promoting the use of the Steam client because they're worried that some other store will replace them.

They added Early Access because people were dumb enough to buy unfinished games (Minecraft, Kickstarter, etc.), Steam Greenlight and Steam Direct were them worrying about near misses like Stardew Valley (which they claim would've been rejected from Steam before Greenlight because nobody at Valve liked it), SteamVR exists because it requires powerful PC gaming hardware that the consoles couldn't provide when they originally started the project and also conveniently requires the Steam client, Big Picture exists to compete with consoles on your living room TV, the Steam Controller is an attempt to bring the entire Steam library you already own onto your living room TV and when it didn't set the world on fire they broadened it to Steam Input which lets you use basically any gamepad manufactured in the last 15 years to control any PC game you launch through Steam, Steam In-Home Streaming requires the Steam client on both machines or a Steam Link (which only works with the Steam client), Steam Broadcasts were a response to Twitch (which is now a game store) and the Steam Chat update is a direct response to the popularity of Discord, which (surprise!) is trying to turn itself into a game store.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Steam exists cause games
Steam machine runs linux....no games

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

This take is completely wrong -- everything Valve has been doing lately is based around promoting the use of the Steam client because they're worried that some other store will replace them.

And SteamOS (which the steambox used) was created in fear of the Windows/Microsoft store introduced in Windows 8.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

And SteamOS (which the steambox used) was created in fear of the Windows/Microsoft store introduced in Windows 8.

Yeah, I sort of mentioned that up the page. It it wasn't only the Windows App Store, it was also Windows RT, the version of Windows that refused to run any applications that didn't come from the App Store.

Microsoft will never stop trying to eliminate third-party software sales on the Windows platform, they want that money and it goes a long way towards eliminating their malware problem.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Amd just built a standardized apu pc for china. Have to see how that goes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Not only do most people already use Discord, but at this point more people taking a crack at Steam's market share is only a good thing. Plus it'll include a universal launcher function that will scrape your machine for all available games and do the hard work for you, which will help take the sting out of using "yet another launcher".

The main part that sucks about the scraping is that most of those games will first launch whatever launcher they were purchased on and then launch the game. Unless its like GOG galaxy or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Microsoft will never stop trying to eliminate third-party software sales on the Windows platform, they want that money and it goes a long way towards eliminating their malware problem.

At the same time, they never will completely lock down Windows as feared because backwards compatibility is a big advantage Windows has for the business world.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

At the same time, they never will completely lock down Windows as feared because backwards compatibility is a big advantage Windows has for the business world.

No problem, if you want to run an arbitrary Win32 business application, you can buy Windows Enterprise Desktop 2026 Edition for only $749.99 per PC (volume discounts apply).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Yeah, I sort of mentioned that up the page. It it wasn't only the Windows App Store, it was also Windows RT, the version of Windows that refused to run any applications that didn't come from the App Store.

It didn't refuse to run desktop programs, rather it literally couldn't. WinRT was made for 32bit ARM7 CPUs, which is incapable of running anything from the Win32 environment (at least at the time). So all you could have was the app store.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Click on the Quake Con banner... a stream of Elder Scrolls card game loads.

The gently caress happened to you games?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

The end result of the creative world-building and solid gunplay feels situated between classic DOOM and Anodyne, and that’s a space I’m very happy to see occupied.

This sounds cool so I bought it. Your description made it sound like my favorite Half-Life mod, HalfQuake: Amen

I can't wait for the other Anodyne-like FPS, Anodyne 2.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 10, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocket Pan posted:

It didn't refuse to run desktop programs, rather it literally couldn't. WinRT was made for 32bit ARM7 CPUs, which is incapable of running anything from the Win32 environment (at least at the time). So all you could have was the app store.

They had a full port of Win32 to ARM to make Office run on Windows RT because the Office team (correctly, LOL) refused to port to the Windows App Store. Somebody figured out how to jailbreak the thing and poked around in the kernel with a debugger, there's a simple variable that controls the behavior (allow only Microsoft signed Win32 applications, allow any Win32 application). The functionality to disable third-party applications is completely generic and could be shipped on x86 Windows with approximately zero effort.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

They had a full port of Win32 to ARM to make Office run on Windows RT because the Office team (correctly, LOL) refused to port to the Windows App Store. Somebody figured out how to jailbreak the thing and poked around in the kernel with a debugger, there's a simple variable that controls the behavior (allow only Microsoft signed Win32 applications, allow any Win32 application). The functionality to disable third-party applications is completely generic and could be shipped on x86 Windows with approximately zero effort.

Yes, that naturally ran slower and didn't support all APIs. Obviously something not ready for prime time outside of edge-case software.

Edit: Actually reading up on it the x86 emulation (Win86emu) was 3rd party, it never came from Microsoft. A jail broken device could still only run ARM compiled applications without it. I also can't find anything on Office being x86 on WinRT.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 10, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Valve's been up to increasingly lovely things for a good long while now and if you're gung ho to keep forking money over to them, you ought to pay more attention. I'm all for something besides Steam getting some market share, extra launcher be damned.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocket Pan posted:

Yes, that naturally ran slower and didn't support all APIs. Obviously something not ready for prime time outside of edge-case software.

Edit: Actually reading up on it the x86 emulation (Win86emu) was 3rd party, it never came from Microsoft. A jail broken device could still only run ARM compiled applications without it. I also can't find anything on Office being x86 on WinRT.

Yeah, Windows RT never ran x86 executables. My point was they built a version of Windows that explicitly forbade third-party software sales and all of the functionality to do that it also exists in the x86 version. You can turn it on right now, if you want, its in the Apps & features settings. There's also GPOs for it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I just like you you said my take was completely wrong and then made 5 posts proving my point and agreeing with me. That's amazing to see all on one page.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I am 100% okay with a curated Discord vidjagaem store. I open that program every day unlike Origin, Uplay, bnet, etc.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cryohazard posted:

I mean, did anyone even want more Torchlight? Did anyone even finish Torchlight II?
Torchlight 2 was quite decent tbh, 1 was just such a nice throwback game that people expected too much. But as a casual dungeoncrawler 2 delivered 2 playthroughs of fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

I just like you you said my take was completely wrong and then made 5 posts proving my point and agreeing with me. That's amazing to see all on one page.

What's computer buying habits have to do with the threat of competing game stores and shutting out third-party software sales?