Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

rockear posted:

Ki Adi Mundi does have like 5 wives who dress like Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke show.

ok i get the outrage now. we could have had this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Servetus posted:

I will always remember Ki-Adi-Mundi ordering the use of flamethrowers on the Geonosians.

War Criminal.

Palpatine in his office reviewing the helmet cam footage of the Clone Troopers going "Woah, poo poo, I didn't even know you could do that. That's amazing!"

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

GimpInBlack posted:

Pretty sure there were at least five instances of two nearly identical things (planets, alien species, etc) with almost identical names that are totally different and unique things, you guys, we swear and definitely not "the author misspelled Nikto and the editors didn't catch it."

That's how the Federation ends up wiping out Ceti Alpha 5 instead of Ceti Alpha 6!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Ki-Adi-Mundi

Jr.

This is my favorite answer yet. Other than the "gently caress you" one.

"What if that's just Ki's father with the same name?"
"...but....but then I would have nothing to be angry about?!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

This is my favorite answer yet. Other than the "gently caress you" one.

"What if that's just Ki's father with the same name?"
"...but....but then I would have nothing to be angry about?!"

Thank you for not editing out all the linebreaks, by the way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kid Adi Mundi

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

lol I saw a clone wars clip on instagram that briefly had ki-adi in it and I was not surprised at all by the comments

“starred” lmfao these people are ill

Also how come it’s always weird fitness bros raging hysterically about Disney

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I keep track of other communities of chuds, and just be glad the Star Wars diaper babies haven’t discovered the phrase ‘predictive programming’, yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

I keep track of other communities of chuds, and just be glad the Star Wars diaper babies haven’t discovered the phrase ‘predictive programming’, yet.

It is sure gonna be A Day when the first definitively-proven Star Wars-based mass shooting happens in the US, that's for sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baronjutter posted:

A fun part about star wars is that you can just casually enjoy it and have a good time, or you can become absolutely mentally ill with onion layers of lore that becomes more and more insane the more layers you peel back. All that deep lore being a confusing mix of contradictory and nebulously still official only adds to the madness. It ends up becoming almost like religious inter-sect conflict.

It's true. I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm very conflicted about sects.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

It is sure gonna be A Day when the first definitively-proven Star Wars-based mass shooting happens in the US, that's for sure.

I’m terrified that the chuds will latch onto all the ‘divine feminine’ esoterica that is plain as day to me. They could finally do a proper witch hunt.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Thank you for not editing out all the linebreaks, by the way.

I know a good joke when I see it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ki Adi Mundi
Born on a Sunday,
Midichlorian Monday,
Tested on Tuesday,
Padawan Wednesday,
High council Thursday,
Fighting on Friday,
66 Saturday,
Slain on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Ki Adi Mundi

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ki Adi Mundi
Born on a Sunday,
Midichlorian Monday,
Tested on Tuesday,
Padawan Wednesday,
High council Thursday,
Fighting on Friday,
66 Saturday,
Slain on Sunday.
This is the end
Of Ki Adi Mundi

bless

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Don't you people understand how sacred a birthdate is?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Hazo posted:

lol I saw a clone wars clip on instagram that briefly had ki-adi in it and I was not surprised at all by the comments

“starred” lmfao these people are ill

Also how come it’s always weird fitness bros raging hysterically about Disney

Actual neo-nazis and other super far right types have been recruiting gym bros with so called "Active Clubs" for a while now. Not surprising there is some cross over with far right online chuds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cape aficionado Orson Krennic is in Andor S2.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rubber Chicken posted:

It was intentional direction but it wasn't a good thing.

Her smugness was definitely earned though, if such a thing is ever true, just not in the same series obviously.

The intent was to make her distinct from the fun-loving younger version of herself after she went through some dark poo poo and survived all her best friends and respected mentors turning on her, dying, disappearing, literally trying to kill her, etc (except Rex, I guess), then have her open up over time. The posing was from the cartoon, but just didn't translate well into live action.

Again, not executed well from a characterization or directing standpoint, but not "bad acting"

I literally just remembered that Ahsoka was also in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett and was good in both of those.

Dawson really pulled off the wise and capable master of the Force in those, so I don't know why the directors didn't let her keep acting like that in her own show.

Just a dumb decision all round.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Filoni liked his "Ahsoka the White" thing so much he wanted to do it again.

Why her personality barely changes after episode 5 is beyond me though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I literally just remembered that Ahsoka was also in The Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett and was good in both of those.

Dawson really pulled off the wise and capable master of the Force in those, so I don't know why the directors didn't let her keep acting like that in her own show.

It's a shame that COVID basically killed the Mandalorian-style directors gaggle system they had going for a while where all that season's directors just hung around on set and observed whoever it was was on deck to direct for each episode so they could keep the tone of the show consistent. I'd argue it's one of the primary reasons Mando S1 was so good, like outlier good at this point. Imagine if they could have done that but for showrunners if they were this dead set on building an MCU for Star Wars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a shame that COVID basically killed the Mandalorian-style directors gaggle system they had going for a while where all that season's directors just hung around on set and observed whoever it was was on deck to direct for each episode so they could keep the tone of the show consistent. I'd argue it's one of the primary reasons Mando S1 was so good, like outlier good at this point. Imagine if they could have done that but for showrunners if they were this dead set on building an MCU for Star Wars.

What really worked for classic Star Trek is all the actors had the opportunity and encouragement to direct.

Stargate as well, every main cast member wrote at least an episode a season I think.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What really worked for classic Star Trek is all the actors had the opportunity and encouragement to direct.

Stargate as well, every main cast member wrote at least an episode a season I think.

Except for Garrett Wang :smith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Granted I haven't revisited the Mando/Boba episodes in question, but I don't recall her performance in those being strikingly different than in Ahsoka. It's one thing for her to show up and be enigmatic and aloof in ~10-15 total minutes of screentime across those couple of episodes; it's when she's the focus of her own show and that's revealed to be the character's only gear that it becomes a problem.

I don't think Rosario Dawson is a bad actress, but I think the scripts and stories haven't given her much to latch onto with that character.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If I’m not mistaken Filoni has written and directed every episode that Dawson’s Ahsoka has appeared in so I think it’s safe to assume that’s how he wants her playing the part.

I really don’t think he is the right guy to be heading creative.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Like Lucas, creative yes. Individual directing or dialog writing maybe not

But he did great with animation, it may just be a learning curve with a different media

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rubber Chicken posted:

Like Lucas, creative yes. Individual directing or dialog writing maybe not

But he did great with animation, it may just be a learning curve with a different media

I've started watching The Bad Batch, and honestly I can't even tell how good the writing is because it just looks so good. I dislike pretty much all CGI animation on sight, even the Pixar stuff before they started sucking, but there's just something so appealing about the slightly blocky, slightly dirty look of CW/BB. Give Filoni the money to make anything he wants with that toolset and let somebody else handle the live action stuff.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I've started watching The Bad Batch, and honestly I can't even tell how good the writing is because it just looks so good. I dislike pretty much all CGI animation on sight, even the Pixar stuff before they started sucking, but there's just something so appealing about the slightly blocky, slightly dirty look of CW/BB. Give Filoni the money to make anything he wants with that toolset and let somebody else handle the live action stuff.
Disney's Shareholder: AND SPEND MOOOOOOOOOOORE MONEY???? You monster! Good 3d shows guy better makes us good tv show!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Rochallor posted:

It's wild to me because he clearly knows so much and has such incredible ideas...for animated series.

Let him do all of his pet projects in animation, because he knows what he's about there. The Clone Wars final arc featuring Ashoka and Maul (That's essentially a movie) is tremendous. So why doesn't that carry over to live action?

I don't know what it is about live action where he takes such a nosedive. I absolutely want him in charge of creative, but like posters above have said, just not directing live action stuff.

I was initially optimistic but he just clearly isn't there, let him continue doing what he is good at.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Servetus posted:

I will always remember Ki-Adi-Mundi ordering the use of flamethrowers on the Geonosians.

War Criminal.

its only a crime in our galaxy because we haven't invented reverse flamethrowers which grow trees.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

1st AD posted:

If I’m not mistaken Filoni has written and directed every episode that Dawson’s Ahsoka has appeared in so I think it’s safe to assume that’s how he wants her playing the part.

I think he is the right guy, or at least a perfectly fine choice to be heading creative on a macro sense.

He's just not the right guy to be like the sole writer on a show, on the Animated stuff he has a whole team who he's been with forever.

Like I generally think the outline for Ahsoka is a decent enough show, but the problem with Ahsoka was the scene to scene writing and pacing. It honestly felt like it got maybe a single pass if that and was done.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

It's wild to me because he clearly knows so much and has such incredible ideas...for animated series.

Let him do all of his pet projects in animation, because he knows what he's about there. The Clone Wars final arc featuring Ashoka and Maul (That's essentially a movie) is tremendous. So why doesn't that carry over to live action?

I don't know what it is about live action where he takes such a nosedive. I absolutely want him in charge of creative, but like posters above have said, just not directing live action stuff.

I was initially optimistic but he just clearly isn't there, let him continue doing what he is good at.

It's real loving weird - I was so pumped to have him move to live action cause yeah, the animated poo poo got me back into Star Wars big time but it's been all mostly mid at best minus the obvious - I am almost sick of saying it too.

But yeah, Filoni needs to back off.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

1st AD posted:

Written yes, directed no. Most of Ahsoka had other people in the directors chair. That said, he has directed almost half of Ahsoka's live action appearances if my math is right.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Someone a few pages ago speculated that Kelnacca was killed offscreen by a supposedly friendly Jedi who was able to get the drop on him by being a familiar face.

That theory seems dead because they apparently filmed the fight but ultimately decided not to include it because it broke the POV of the episode.

Not sure how they could’ve done that while keeping the killer’s identity under wraps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They cut the Jedi wookie fight, wtf is going on over there

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Someone a few pages ago speculated that Kelnacca was killed offscreen by a supposedly friendly Jedi who was able to get the drop on him by being a familiar face.

That theory seems dead because they apparently filmed the fight but ultimately decided not to include it because it broke the POV of the episode.

Not sure how they could’ve done that while keeping the killer’s identity under wraps.

It would have been pretty easy if the killer was wearing a mask. You know, one with teeth on it?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Dave Filoni is awful because I should be the doughy middle-aged white guy with a fun hat running Star Wars, not him. They should be throwing to the Apey Zone on A More Civilized Age, not the Filoni Zone.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

It would have been pretty easy if the killer was wearing a mask. You know, one with teeth on it?

Yeah exactly. So sounds like it was the masked master like we all assumed, and not an old friend of Kel who could get in close before gutting him.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 25, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Yeah exactly. So sounds like it was the masked master like we all assumed, and not an old friend of Kel who could get in close before gutting him.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah, I agree, it's clearly Darth Bortles, who killed him once he realized Mae wasn't going to go through with it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

But also... you film the fight and only afterwards go 'uh oh, we accidentally gave away the mystery'?

Just... how do you let things get that far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Alchenar posted:

But also... you film the fight and only afterwards go 'uh oh, we accidentally gave away the mystery'?

Just... how do you let things get that far?

That’s… not the reason they cut it. I’m inferring that it DIDNT give away any secret mystery (e.g. Kelnacca was killed by shrek or Mae or Qimir) because they planned on shooting it.