Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

philihp posted:

(1) It takes days to move fiat.
(2) It is expensive to move fiat.
(3) If you do neither of these things, your fiat will be slowly debased. We call it inflation. At best, we accept it as something that is good for everyone except you, and at worst it's just a fact of life.
Not even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

philihp posted:

(1) It takes days to move fiat.
(2) It is expensive to move fiat.
(3) If you do neither of these things, your fiat will be slowly debased. We call it inflation. At best, we accept it as something that is good for everyone except you, and at worst it's just a fact of life.

Counterpoint: No, it doesn't.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wait what

If I want to do a bank transfer to a friend it's free and processes immediately

Neither is true of bitcoin

Is this an american only thing like how you all still have to have chequebooks and guard your bank details because if someone knows them they can transfer all the money out to them

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol i can physically hand someone cash and they instantly have it

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Lol i can physically hand someone cash and they instantly have it

Even things like Venmo transfer digitally almost instantly too (for a small fee obviously).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think we have a new contender in the battle for thread idiot.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Party Boat posted:

Wait what

If I want to do a bank transfer to a friend it's free and processes immediately

Neither is true of bitcoin

Is this an american only thing like how you all still have to have chequebooks and guard your bank details because if someone knows them they can transfer all the money out to them

Honestly even in America the idea that it's expensive or time consuming to move money is outdated. I've been the treasurer for a running club for the last 5 years using venmo with no fees on either side of the transaction. Most banks support Zelle for instant bank to bank transfers, and if they don't they'll support billpay which is basically just writing a check without the check.

Home contractors are about the only people who still accept checks and we don't guard our bank details for god's sake, they are written on the check.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

Honestly even in America the idea that it's expensive or time consuming to move money is outdated. I've been the treasurer for a running club for the last 5 years using venmo with no fees on either side of the transaction. Most banks support Zelle for instant bank to bank transfers, and if they don't they'll support billpay which is basically just writing a check without the check.

Home contractors are about the only people who still accept checks and we don't guard our bank details for god's sake, they are written on the check.

My bank doesn't support Zelle but I can still use Zelle to send and receive money, but only on my phone. It's weird and I added extra security because the out-of-the-box authentication of the app felt way too weak for me, but it's really handy for large transfers. I'm guessing it's mostly just a ACH access system, either tied into or running parallel to usual ACH stuff. If I'm remembering ACH properly.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Party Boat posted:

no, crypto ideologues are just stuck on early 20th century/goldbug notions of money as a physical thing . like I understand, I've been there and American information apparatuses do plenty to encourage it, but it won't fly here.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s especially funny when crypto people claim that fiat is expensive to transfer. Then immediately start talking about the etherium fees to get anything done on that network.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Orvin posted:

It’s especially funny when crypto people claim that fiat is expensive to transfer. Then immediately start talking about the etherium fees to get anything done on that network.
"Transfering" money, like, you know, paying a bill or buying something, or anything which has a robust infrastructure which does so instantly and without fees to the payer? If you're a basement dwelling geek then you've already got your CC saved at your favorite anime store and can do one click shopping, or you go out and wave a credit card at a terminal and tell it that yes you are buying a can of Red Bull. How often are people trying to send interpersonal sums of cash to non-merchants? Even if it happens on the regular, what percentage of money that passes through their hands is something of that sort versus going to a merchant and buying something?

I have no idea who is being fooled by these claims, or who they think is being fooled. The vast, vast, vast majority of your interactions with money is sending it to someone who already has means of making as painless as possible to receive your money because they want your money. There are outlier groups but that's kind of their problem and they're not gonna be adopting crypto anyway.

And LOL imagine if you, the buyer of goods, had to pay an etherium gas fee every time you wanted to use a vending machine. Yes, that sort of friction is exactly what encourages commerce.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The logic that leads to bring is obvious. "I'm being held back by the banks and if they're not involved I'll do better"

It's not hard to see the inferiority complexes at work here.

And honestly I've always felt Bitcoin will keep going as long as suckers are a renewable resource.

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

Why do bitcoiners keep trying to re-invent fiat currency?
We don't.

Satoshi Nakamoto posted:

A lot of people automatically dismiss e-currency as a lost cause because of all the companies that failed since the 1990’s. I hope it’s obvious it was only the centrally controlled nature of those systems that doomed them. I think this is the first time we’re trying a decentralized, non-trust-based system.

https://bluepnume.medium.com/bitcoin-cutting-through-the-bullshit-8a969852ed44

Party Boat posted:

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?
Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpkQEq75y18

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Great thing, or Greatest thing?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's also a deft misdirection by the real problem class. People struggling financially are framing their problem as the fault of central and chartered banks, while the corporate and career hucksters like Musk and the Quadriga kid drain them with even fewer protections.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I blame this thread for not buying BTC in 2014. I would have been richer than all of you smoothbrains but instead I'm still just a nocoin peasant. I still remember the BITCOIN 6000???? LOL posts. Thanks for nothing.

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

Uncle Ivan posted:

I blame this thread for not buying BTC in 2014. I would have been richer than all of you smoothbrains but instead I'm still just a nocoin peasant. I still remember the BITCOIN 6000???? LOL posts. Thanks for nothing.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2020/07/30/yanss-180-the-psychology-behind-why-people-defend-the-norms-they-secretly-despise/

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2019/10/08/yanss-162-why-compelling-arguments-work-well-in-some-contexts-but-fail-in-others/

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2018/0...-itself-easier/

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mooseontheloose posted:

Even things like Venmo transfer digitally almost instantly too (for a small fee obviously).

?

I set up Venmo on my prepaid debit card to buy a $5 Win10 Pro key from SA Mart (LodgeNorth is a machine!) and paid my sister $75 for party stuff just this morning. Neither cost me a pennyshaving. Is there a limit over time or a cap to the amount or something I missed? My balance five minutes ago was $0.00 and nothing besides that exact $75 charge came off my card.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hi again Seraph
:frogout:
:fuckoff:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

?

I set up Venmo on my prepaid debit card to buy a $5 Win10 Pro key from SA Mart (LodgeNorth is a machine!) and paid my sister $75 for party stuff just this morning. Neither cost me a pennyshaving. Is there a limit over time or a cap to the amount or something I missed? My balance five minutes ago was $0.00 and nothing besides that exact $75 charge came off my card.

I thought Venmo charged like .25 cents? maybe over certain amounts?

Bablicon
Jun 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vortmax posted:

Hi again Seraph
:frogout:
:fuckoff:

I’m kinda disappointed nobody knows who I am.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Bablicon posted:

I’m kinda disappointed nobody knows who I am.

Just start posting outrageous poo poo about the age of consent and you too could be permabanned!

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

So what you're saying is, wait to buy your marshmallows later instead of buying them now at 1/10 the price.

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

Uncle Ivan posted:

So what you're saying is, wait to buy your marshmallows later instead of buying them now at 1/10 the price.
I'm saying you are going to exchange your paper for digital marshmellows sooner or later whether you like it or not. The only meaningful decision you have is how much opportunity cost you want to subject yourself to between this moment and that one.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Oh, yeah, in that case we're on the same page. I've been touching the poop thoroughly. Feels nice and soft and sticky on my fingers. I mean, I guess I can't really complain because I didn't have much disposable income in 2014 and I'm too risk averse to yolo it into the poop. But I should have touched the poop a lot more in 2017 and 2018 than I did. I'm finally touching it now. It always feels like it's too late to touch the poop and that it's wrong to touch the poop, but you just have to accept that it's not. Or if it turns out that it was, that you made a mistake. But the worst mistake is not ever knowing what the poop feels like.

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 20, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Uncle Ivan posted:

I think you should buy Bitcoin

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Uncle Ivan posted:

Go eat some borscht and drink yourself until you wet the bed from failing, vodka soaked kidneys Uncle Ivan, and shut the gently caress up,
comrade. :commissar:

Just do what I do whenever I feel sorry for missing something new: Realize you would either have sold years ago for a modest gain, lost all of it including the seed money in one of the (literal) hundreds of scams/hacked exchanges, lost or fat-fingered your key and lost all the money, or been kicked out of the entire world’s banking systems as a suspected criminal money laundering mule because the IRS saw your “moon lol” post on Facebook. Maybe you would have beat the odds. But that’s a game that starts every 10 minutes and you can win 1,000,000 times but can only lose once.

And you don’t really have to shut the gently caress up; the names “Uncle Ivan” and “Uncle Vanya” trigger me because I’m a snowflake. :3:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so when does my dogecoin go up again?

i want more money again plz

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
seraph have you bought a house in El Salvador yet

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mooseontheloose posted:

It could. I’ll read the small print after I sober up tonight. But I have only transferred exactly $80 to Venmo directly from my debit card and sent exactly $80 in two different transactions to two different folks and didn’t get any extra charges at all. Maybe if you receive money you pay a bit? I just don’t know right now.

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

seraph have you bought a house in El Salvador yet
Why would I need such a thing? I'd far sooner buy a sailboat to visit this place. But even then, a charter with an experienced captain and crew makes more sense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wrongfor10yrs LOL posted:

Why would I need such a thing? I'd far sooner buy a sailboat to visit this place. But even then, a charter with an experienced captain and crew makes more sense.
instead it's saturday night and you're paying another $10 to post on an internet forum that knows you're fuller of poo poo than the bucket in your no-bedroom hovel

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 20, 2021

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

Shumagorath posted:

instead it's saturday night and you're paying another $10 to post on an internet forum that knows you're fuller of poo poo that the bucket in your no-bedroom hovel
It's 85 degrees out and on/off rain here. Not my ideal outdoor conditions. BTW I live in a brownstone with 13 ft ceilings now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

With any luck they won’t throw you overboard

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Mooseontheloose posted:

Nope, at least not on any of the transactions I've done. I've received over $10k, but no single transaction larger than $200. I've definitely transferred $2k+ from venmo to my bank account for free.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

DerekSmartymans posted:

Go eat some borscht and drink yourself until you wet the bed from failing, vodka soaked kidneys Uncle Ivan, and shut the gently caress up,
comrade. :commissar:

Just do what I do whenever I feel sorry for missing something new: Realize you would either have sold years ago for a modest gain, lost all of it including the seed money in one of the (literal) hundreds of scams/hacked exchanges, lost or fat-fingered your key and lost all the money, or been kicked out of the entire world’s banking systems as a suspected criminal money laundering mule because the IRS saw your “moon lol” post on Facebook. Maybe you would have beat the odds. But that’s a game that starts every 10 minutes and you can win 1,000,000 times but can only lose once.

And you don’t really have to shut the gently caress up; the names “Uncle Ivan” and “Uncle Vanya” trigger me because I’m a snowflake. :3:

You don't like Chekhov? Oh I know, I'm not bitter about it, my personality doesn't fit with the yolo crypto archetype. I ignored my college friends who told me to get in on it and now 3 of them are cryptobazillionaries living in Puerto Rico. I realize that I'm too risk averse to have made that play. But it's never too late to touch the poop if you've wondered about it. Assuming you're doing all the non-retard things like maxing out your 401k/HSA/any other tax advantaged accounts, and you're young enough where losing it all won't affect your retirement, I think touching the poop makes sense. Which is why so many millenials are now touching it. Some will win, some will lose. Obviously if you're barely making ends meet on 50k, putting money into crypto is extremely risky. But for most young professionals like me, this high risk/high reward speculative gambling is the only possible way that we could break our chains of being a wage slave and move up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 20, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
been a while since we had a visit from ol' stdh.txt himself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*wagecuck

Wrongfor10yrs LOL
Jun 20, 2021

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdxeeolWng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Wrongfor10yrs LOL posted:

It's 85 degrees out and on/off rain here. Not my ideal outdoor conditions. BTW I live in a brownstone with 13 ft ceilings now.

u dont get to call a cardboard box a brownstone