Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

why does everyone love the CDC still lol.

what is your problem with the CDC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

have they decided if masks work yet

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
yeah they said they do and recommended people wear them. weird to get mad about that if you ask me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

yeah they said they do and recommended people wear them. weird to get mad about that if you ask me

do you...not remember the whole thing at the start of this when they were somehow the only government agency in the world to be not sure about that, and poo poo like them constantly 'revising' suggestions in ways that just happen to validate the presidential agenda at the time and all?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Marx Headroom posted:

That wasn't their story at the outset

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
center for dicks and cocks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know we joke about time dilation and poo poo but that whole 'uh actually schools can open at 3 foot social distancing without vaccinating, because a study in rural montana showed it could work' thing was like a couple months ago

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Marx Headroom posted:

It took them dozens of studies and months to decide that COVID-19 is airborne, but only one un-peer reviewed study saying that 3 feet is all right in schools because they didn't find any difference between 3ft and 6ft, which can be explained by it traveling like 20 feet away from the mouth indoors and it being airborne, because they are politicizing the science in favor of opening 'er up. They said "there is no evidence masks work" when asked if people should wear them, not an outright no, but they knew drat well the media would interpret that way, when common sense suggests that precedent is set by doctors wearing masks and millions of people in countries that have had to deal with SARS wearing them, and the expression "when in Rome" can be applied toward living in territory being conquered by a virus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reality Protester posted:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Center for Dishonest Cucks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In defense of CDC they've been saying not to wear masks for decades. So it wasn't anything new for them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I could do with an injection from the cdc

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

surely THIS government agency is immune to political influence

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

is pepsi ok posted:

surely THIS government agency is immune to political influence

sir when has a doctor ever had a political bias

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there has to be a political office poo poo and boring enough to not suffer from corruption

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

do you...not remember the whole thing at the start of this when they were somehow the only government agency in the world to be not sure about that, and poo poo like them constantly 'revising' suggestions in ways that just happen to validate the presidential agenda at the time and all?

hating the cdc for that is like blaming the first officer of the titanic for not avoiding the iceberg in time

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Tiler Kiwi posted:

there has to be a political office poo poo and boring enough to not suffer from corruption

whichever agency is assigned to your posting

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

lumpentroll posted:

whichever agency is assigned to your posting

*perfect dark guard voice* jeeze

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Used to be the department of commerce, but Wilbur Ross spent 4 years stripping out the copper and it may never be the same

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

hating the cdc for that is like blaming the first officer of the titanic for not avoiding the iceberg in time

so do you just not believe the cdc can be a political agency or what? Like, do you think they were apolitical in other outbreaks with heavy political angles like AIDS?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

so do you just not believe the cdc can be a political agency or what? Like, do you think they were apolitical in other outbreaks with heavy political angles like AIDS?

i think the CDC response wouldve been inadequate no matter what seeing as neither they nor anyone else has CCP level authority to enforce mass lockdowns and testing and in that case its kinda weird to cast doubt about the CDCs ability to give good recommendations when that same agency is currently recommending people get vaccinated and wear masks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

i think the CDC response wouldve been inadequate no matter what seeing as neither they nor anyone else has CCP level authority to enforce mass lockdowns and testing and in that case its kinda weird to cast doubt about the CDCs ability to give good recommendations when that same agency is currently recommending people get vaccinated and wear masks

what do you think of them, a couple months ago, adjusting indoor requirements for schools based entirely on one study in rural montana that assumed like 1 teacher for every 5 students was the norm

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only weird thing here is defending the honor of your favorite government agency.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

what do you think of them, a couple months ago, adjusting indoor requirements for schools based entirely on one study in rural montana that assumed like 1 teacher for every 5 students was the norm

what do you think of their eviction moratorium

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Marx Headroom posted:

You know you don't have to hand it to institutions when they belch out half measures, right?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

coward CDC didn't immediately reissue the moratorium after a judge overturned it

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

gradenko_2000 posted:

Higgins was the one who got baited into that Harris book getting given out at the concentration camps

Hilariously bad journalist

dang, yeah I forgot about that

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Marx Headroom posted:

a judge struck it down recently and evictions are free to continue

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

the one a judge just ended and they made no effort to defend further?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i was just surprised that the cdc had bipartisan public approval with ~900,000 americans dead in the past 16 months to a new disease.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
i guess what im trying to say is im not a virologist so for me and probably most people in this country the CDC recommendations are the best we can do for staying safe on a daily basis, and its annoying when posters stroll in with their dicks out going "lmao at the cdc" like what is the alternative. podcasts? scihub? you gonna tell people gently caress the CDC watch this youtube vid?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I really thoughit that it had barren covered too death how the CDC has blown its credibility between Trump and Biden. With liberals building a cult around Fauchi

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

you gonna tell people gently caress the CDC watch this youtube vid?

yeah and that video is loose change

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marx Headroom posted:

i guess what im trying to say is im not a virologist so for me and probably most people in this country the CDC recommendations are the best we can do for staying safe on a daily basis, and its annoying when posters stroll in with their dicks out going "lmao at the cdc" like what is the alternative. podcasts? scihub? you gonna tell people gently caress the CDC watch this youtube vid?

yes those are the choices, the cdc or youtbe randos, those are the only choices

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bedpan posted:

yeah and that video is loose change

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

the cdc recommendations were and are not, in fact, the best way for people to stay safe on a daily basis. unless you believe that covid can't be transmitted beyond 3ft and that n95s should not be purchased by individuals.

and the eviction moratorium, like a number of things that the biden administration has done, sounds good on paper but the implementation is flawed. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/housing-advocates-say-evictions-are-continuing-full-steam-despite-federal-n1262943

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Training posted:

why does everyone love the CDC still lol.

The CDC is basically viewed as some sort of non-ideological scientific institution (though it's a little surprising that Republican opinion is so high, at least if this poll was taken since Biden became President).

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Marx Headroom posted:

They could read the news from places like Scientific Affairs and other sites talking about studies done on coronavirus lately, like people who stay up-to-date with climate change news can do with Phys.org and Nature, then come to their own conclusions based on the studies for themselves. Sorry if you're a cynic who thinks that cowing to authority in place of legitimate scientific media literacy is the best we can do

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/prettycritical/status/1391227698111029251

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

uhhhhh i trust dr. fauci and the cdc. that's what you sound like, dude