Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth TNT posted:

Thanks to COVID I've been following along with the Sun and Moon anime series on Netflix with my son. And that show is surprisingly good. I was set to kinda just be entertained enough while nothing really changes from episode to episode. But there's some good themes and constant development going on. And has there ever been a season with this high of a dead people/mons count? And most of it is handled in a very sweet manner.
We just saw the "surprise" unmask of the masked royal so we're in the Kuikui fight now.

Also lol at the thought that Ash's friends figured they'd have a shot at the championship when they literally have 1-2 Pokemon.

Nice, Sun and Moon was a fantastic series and definitely my favourite to date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally caught up to the last month of Journeys. Pretty great episodes all around, but the best bit by a mile is seeing Dracovish swimming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpI45YdA3sE

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

MorningMoon posted:

Finally caught up to the last month of Journeys. Pretty great episodes all around, but the best bit by a mile is seeing Dracovish swimming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpI45YdA3sE

"Swimming" might be a bit of a strong word but it does look happy

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m a fair way through New Snap and seeing Cradily eat an apple, excuse me, flufffruit, is quite weird.

Enjoying the game a lot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

oh man, get ready for the peak of animation
I wanna say that there's been maybe a random season that did enough ghost episode stories that happened to involve dead people, but no other season with episodes that actually talk about death this way.

At least Mallow came in to the Lana fight going "well, no way i'm getting to the finals, so whatevs" lol

That fog episode was super sweet. I actually love the way Ash's Pokemon keep learning new moves unlike in the olden days where they'd just get a move. I also like how it's usually from mentor pokemon. Dead stachedog coming back to teach a move and be proud of Toracat was super :unsmith: Especially since his passing isn't really touched on from what I saw.
Mallow and her mom with a good talk which then leads to Shaymin the gratitude pokemon showing up is some sweet symbolism without being heavy handed.
I'm more surprised that everyone is non-plussed at Mallow just walking around with a friggin' Shaymin. That's a mythical pokemon people!

Then later on the time travel episode with the giant Trevenant which ends with shots which is clearly a dead Trevenant being just a tree.

Vinylshadow posted:

Tsarina getting floored by a single bubble and never once actually landing a hit on Primarina was some of the funniest stuff in that series

And Guzma tearing Lana a new one after everything she put everyone else through was some of the best catharsis this anime has ever done, although Kiawe was robbed, given he was her most abused target and could've used the win
Also everyone getting mad that Guzma beat Ilima with legitimate strategy is :discourse:
I hate Tsarina so much, seeing her get dunked felt great. Just such an ugly design.

Kiawe shouldn't have gone easy on Sophocless or however you spell his name.

And yeah, that Guzma fight against the mega Kangaskahn was really good. Actually, all Guzma's fights were really good. I laughed hard when Golisopod used emergency exit leaving scisor to tank a giant fireball.

Kuikui's Venusaur using it's plant to eat Rowlet was also a hilarious twist.

Speaking of Rowlet is probably my new favorite Ash Pokemon. Such a sweet bird with it's silly cloak.

I'll probably see the next part of Kuikui tomorrow with my son. We're on Lucario now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is this also the PGO thread? Anyone know what the deal with Pancham is?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Is this also the PGO thread? Anyone know what the deal with Pancham is?

That's over here in the mobile games sub-sub forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950143&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#pti1

I think the deal is that it's only in raids? I really don't know and i'm pretty sure we'll just see it next week anyway

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I beat Pokémon shield when it came out and got frustrated with the max raid battle mechanics. I liked the wild area when it worked but had connection issues or lovely battles far more often than not. Have they fixed that, or have they added anything or made any changes apart from the paid DLC?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 12, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the dlc is better and has a much more reliable raid system. they did not make any effort to make that functional multiplayer matchmaking work in the wild areas for god knows what reason, nintendo gamefreak

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Darth TNT posted:

Speaking of Rowlet is probably my new favorite Ash Pokemon. Such a sweet bird with it's silly cloak.

I love my sweet round boi

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I beat Pokémon shield when it came out and got frustrated with the max raid battle mechanics. I liked the wild area when it worked but had connection issues or lovely battles far more often than not. Have they fixed that, or have they added anything or made any changes apart from the paid DLC?

In the new raid system for the second DLC, you can only use rental pokemon and have to clear multiple dynamax battles in a row. If that sounds fun, you'll love the only new piece of content.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

the dlc is better and has a much more reliable raid system. they did not make any effort to make that functional multiplayer matchmaking work in the wild areas for god knows what reason, nintendo gamefreak

Game Freak (the Pokemon Company in general, really) is about a decade behind the times on just about all fronts

They've just now reached the point of paid DLC while the vast majority of the rest of the gaming world has gone over to free DLC, or at least charging us a fair price for a lot of new and interesting content as opposed to mimicking EA's "pay us through the nose for what should've been there since day one" model

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Playing Alpha Sapphire because I got a nostalgia bug and the Mass Effect Collection doesn't come out till the end of this week. Good lord Swampert is just so wildly overpowered in this game. Any ideas on how to make the game slightly harder without going full nuzlocke?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

The best part of SW/SH was the wild area and the paid DLC are big wild area expansions. I liked them better than the main game but overall SW/SH remains a bit of a disappointment. I'll be suckered into Legends: arcerus anyways.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MorningMoon posted:

That's over here in the mobile games sub-sub forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3950143&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#pti1

I think the deal is that it's only in raids? I really don't know and i'm pretty sure we'll just see it next week anyway

ty

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LionYeti posted:

Playing Alpha Sapphire because I got a nostalgia bug and the Mass Effect Collection doesn't come out till the end of this week. Good lord Swampert is just so wildly overpowered in this game. Any ideas on how to make the game slightly harder without going full nuzlocke?

No exp share, no Amie, use pokemon you haven't used in a while or are unfamiliar with, rotate your team regularly

Limit the amount of healing you're allowed to do in battles (I sometimes go with no revives and only allowed to heal your pokemon once)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

oh man, get ready for the peak of animation

You were not kidding. They really threw all their budget at that Tapu Koko fight. That was hot.

Vinylshadow posted:

Game Freak (the Pokemon Company in general, really) is about a decade behind the times on just about all fronts

They've just now reached the point of paid DLC while the vast majority of the rest of the gaming world has gone over to free DLC, or at least charging us a fair price for a lot of new and interesting content as opposed to mimicking EA's "pay us through the nose for what should've been there since day one" model

Also pretty sure Gamefreak does just the most minimum amount of effort because it prints money regardless.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

You were not kidding. They really threw all their budget at that Tapu Koko fight. That was hot.

Yeah, they went absolute ham on that. Brought some amazing freelancers from across the industry for the last sequence. Sakugablog has a really good writeup about the animation of Sun and Moon
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/11/21/pokemon-sun-moon-production-retrospect-animation-as-character-and-tone/

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Hey if you wanna make yourself sad about things we'll never have: check out this neat concept someone made for a hypothetical Sinnoh Remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlopKnC6JU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have no idea how the hell to max out the second Illumina spot. I'm about 5,000 points shy and I've already got 1-4* pics of the Illumina Pokemon, at least 1-2* pics of every other Pokemon on the course, and the only one I know of that has a 3* is Serperior and I've already got that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have no idea how the hell to max out the second Illumina spot. I'm about 5,000 points shy and I've already got 1-4* pics of the Illumina Pokemon, at least 1-2* pics of every other Pokemon on the course, and the only one I know of that has a 3* is Serperior and I've already got that.

You can get Espeon at 3* iirc, and you might be missing an entire pokemon, Ninetales, which is fairly well hidden

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I feel like I'm really close to figuring out how to get Minior's 4 star photo, but I'm not quite there yet and really don't want to just look up the answer.

I've figured out that throwing a glowy orb into the spot where they crash makes them come out of the ground, and a few of them travel a little further down the stage.

I also know that there's a place where they gather near the end, but I'm definitely missing something because they're all really far away

Could someone give me a criptic hint without outright giving away the answer?

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 13, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I feel like I'm really close to figuring out how to get Minior's 4 star photo, but I'm not quite there yet and really don't want to just look up the answer.

I've figured out that throwing a glowy orb into the spot where they crash makes them come out of the ground, and a few of them travel a little further down the stage.

I also know that there's a place where they gather near the end, but I'm definitely missing something because they're all really far away

Could someone give me a criptic hint without outright giving away the answer?

there's always more to orb

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

cheetah7071 posted:

You can get Espeon at 3* iirc, and you might be missing an entire pokemon, Ninetales, which is fairly well hidden

Nah I wasn't missing any since I had the crown on the research map. :v: But I was missing the photo you mentioned, and even that wasn't enough, I had to retake a 3* photo of the Illumina Pokemon for a couple hundred to just barely squeak out the max level. That one is rough with the point requirements.

I still have only found one other Pokemon, Monferno at the beginning of the third Illumina spot so I'm definitely missing something since my map doesn't have a crown, and again, there's no way that I could get enough points with just those two. I did completely stumble into the 4* photo of the Illumina Pokemon there at least, no idea how to get the 3* though.

quote:

4* Minior talk

I'll put this in a spoiler for other people who have already gotten it since this maybe counts as giving the answer outright. I apparently got it without trying, I just took a picture of it rising into the sky at the end of the course when you take a right at the fork. It didn't seem like I had to do anything special, at least. I did light the three blooms at the beginning to lure the Meteor Form one out, maybe that's what triggers it, but other than that I just turned around and went "Oh that's a color I haven't gotten yet," took a picture of the one color, and bam, 4*.

e: Also what the gently caress is Silicobra this poo poo looks like a knockoff Pokemon.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 13, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/serebiinet/status/1392816711431299076?s=21

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Hey if you wanna make yourself sad about things we'll never have: check out this neat concept someone made for a hypothetical Sinnoh Remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlopKnC6JU

I look at these and I'm like "We're getting a more exciting title right after why even bother putting *that* much effort into a remake?"

Ideally, you'd want to put more "effort" into a new exciting idea then waste it on an old rear end game from 15 years ago.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zuzie posted:

I look at these and I'm like "We're getting a more exciting title right after why even bother putting *that* much effort into a remake?"

Ideally, you'd want to put more "effort" into a new exciting idea then waste it on an old rear end game from 15 years ago.

:qq: BUH SEE THIS PROVES GAMEFREAK ARE LAZY HACKS THAT DONT CARE ABOUT THE REAL FANS :qq:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The new idea game will probably be half baked and lazy in many ways as well.

And given many of the new ideas on SwSh will be actively lovely in many ways that could be easily avoidable. It will probably have equally lovely online functionality.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They're going to use the time period the game is set in to make the online worse.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zuzie posted:

they could put effort into both since they're separate dev teams and presumably both full priced products.

Though, skimming it, some of the stuff is definitely "get real" level of fantasizing.

Violet_Sky posted:

:qq: BUH SEE THIS PROVES GAMEFREAK ARE LAZY HACKS THAT DONT CARE ABOUT THE REAL FANS :qq:
yeah, but game freak is lazy tho

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

they could put effort into both since they're separate dev teams and presumably both full priced products.

I get the feeling that since the remake is being handled by ILCA (a different company) with Masuda in a supervising director role, there isn't much that is unique they legally could do with a DP remake to make it like ORAS, where so many little things had been changed from the original. ILCA may be developing the remake, but they don't really own the IP so they can't take the creative liberties.

Its similar to how the Paper Mario series can't really have unique characters anymore since they're developed by Intelligent Systems rather then by an in-house Nintendo development studio.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Violet_Sky posted:

to be fair, they don't care about poser fans, either

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

You mean the "more exciting title" that had tremendously obvious framerate issues on the trailer?

Like sure, I'm not going to say the fans don't ask for too much at times, but let's not even pretend Game Freak doesn't deserve the scorn. DP Remake look absolutely awful and Legends doesn't exactly look like great itself (beyond the fact that the trailer was incredibly unclear on how it actually plays which should be the first thing you'd want focus on in a brand new spinoff...). Both of which looked even worse in comparison to New Snap, which rocks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody defending gamefreak and the pokemon company after ultra sun and moon, let's go, and swsh is totally blinded by their love of the franchise. The games are obviously getting worse, cutting features and mons from previous gens, and have features and graphics totally out of step with the times.

That might be okay if it was a smaller or an indie developer but this is the developers of the most popular and monetizable franchise of all time. We can and should be expecting better from them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone else feel kinda bad for Gamefreak? They were probably making GBS threads bricks when the Switch sold like gangbusters. The screeching of fans to PUT POKEMON STARS ON THE SWITCH NOW probably did not help. Now we are here and welp. GF kinda went in over their heads it seems.

Sorry I knew you had made a similar post earlier and this level of simpering affection towards a profit seeking entity is not healthy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's probably too :goonsay: but I don't think of GameFreak as Lazy or even "incompetent devs"

That said, their output is just not what I want anymore. There's a million factors and minutia of why things ended up that way, but the bottom line is that Sword and Shield don't appeal to me and the past 8 years have had way more misses than hits. Their upcoming output looks to follow that trend. If the past years of pokemon have been barely hitting the mark with unambitious games, why should I expect their most ambitious game ever to stick the landing?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Little Town Hero was supposedly also an 'ambitious' game from them and did not get any hype, and it merely faded away on release day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zuzie posted:

Its similar to how the Paper Mario series can't really have unique characters anymore since they're developed by Intelligent Systems rather then by an in-house Nintendo development studio.

Paper Mario was IntSys from the beginning and IntSys is first party anyways

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

qnqnx posted:

Little Town Hero was supposedly also an 'ambitious' game from them and did not get any hype, and it merely faded away on release day.

From what I've heard of it that's probably a blessing for all involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

You mean the "more exciting title" that had tremendously obvious framerate issues on the trailer?

By more exciting title, its more the premises then the execution. With remakes, you know exactly how the story is supposed to go and there's barely any new surprises in store. Legends is essentially a new game and it doesn't appear to follow the same formula as other titles.

At the same time, its sort of easy to see why Game Freak had gotten in a rut in the first place. Their games are going to make the same amount of money regardless of how much of that "effort" that people are harping on about. I guess they have no reason to improve when they're already achieved a state which most other series dream of being. They've cemented themselves so much in pop culture that they can afford to disappoint the hardcore fanbase and still expect their loyalty. Calls for boycotting the games due to their quality are practically meaningless.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 13, 2021